SPOILERS! Pokemon Sword & Shield Pre-Release SPOILERS - Check Post 2!

Sure but there have been other pokemons in the past that were UBER that also couldn't switch in well but were deemed UBER due to other factors (i.e. offensive capabilities). Dragapult's immense speed and good atk (and decent spA) looks to be amazing even if it were to just run DD and CB (I highly doubt it doesn't get any other good moves as a pseudo). I still see it as a top-tier OU that is possibly UBER. All speculative, of course.
Its going to be a long and rigorous suspect test but now that yall say it I wouldn't be that surprised if it did get cut, but I highly suspect it will come down to coverage because its stabs are easy to deal with, with the walls and stuff we have that will likely be in ou.

I love that most of this gen’s mons have well distributed stats compared to Slow and Middle Aged (Sun and Moon). They might even be viable in Nat Dex OU. So lets talk about some of them.

Rillaboom looks like a worse Bulu except with better HP, Speed, and Taunt. Its def gonna get SD and might find relevance outside the lower tiers if it gets something like Surge Surfer but for Grassy Terrain.

Cinderace might be good depending on its HA and its movepool. We haven’t had a quick, fire type starter in OU since Infernape so we’ll see.

Inteleon is Water type, special Weavile. If this mon gets NP it could potentially be OU if the odds are in its favor. 125 SpA is still crazy good.

Grimmsnarl has a great typing but shit bulk and low sped. I really wish its stats weren’t spent on SpA but oh well.

Copperajah looks like a frailer, faster Stakataka that can break past bulky waters and Ferro if it gets Fire coverage. I’m looking hyped for the elephant.

Corviknight might be hella good in both NoDex and NatDex OU. Steel/Flying is such a good typing and its a Skarm with better SpD, Speed and a Celesteela with more Physical Dfse and Speed. I could potentially see SD come to play due to its bulk and usable Atk stat.

Yeah we've seen all these screenshots already.

Also, where's Zacian? I see Zamazenta and Crowned Shield Zamazenta, but no Zacian.

Sure but there have been other pokemons in the past that were UBER that also couldn't switch in well but were deemed UBER due to other factors (i.e. offensive capabilities). Dragapult's immense speed and good atk (and decent spA) looks to be amazing even if it were to just run DD and CB (I highly doubt it doesn't get any other good moves as a pseudo). I still see it as a top-tier OU that is possibly UBER. All speculative, of course.
Where does it show dragapults stats?

The following is a WIP link for stats and abilities of the new pokemons: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...aaXJNBejEgbs/htmlview?sle=true#gid=1582135363

This is not my own work.
I believe we most likely already have Meltan / Melmetal's base stats.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Meltan_(Pokémon)#Base_stats
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Melmetal_(Pokémon)#Base_stats

Though idk who is updating that spreadsheet lol so I'm not sure who to tell.

They did it not once but twice. Remember sun and moon the one region based on Hawaii without Bellossom and missing the SUN (Solrock) and the MOON (Lunatone).
And people complained a lot about it.

As we just discussed, its not a probelm in vgc so its not a problem in the meta. Smogon is a fake fannade scene for singles. Its very important to keep that in mind.
Mostly this, but nicer. When Nintendo is talking about competitive balance they mean Battle Spot and VGC. They don’t have anything to do with Smogon Tiers, so why would they care about how balanced those are?

I love that most of this gen’s mons have well distributed stats compared to Slow and Middle Aged (Sun and Moon). They might even be viable in Nat Dex OU. So lets talk about some of them.

Rillaboom looks like a worse Bulu except with better HP, Speed, and Taunt. Its def gonna get SD and might find relevance outside the lower tiers if it gets something like Surge Surfer but for Grassy Terrain.

Cinderace might be good depending on its HA and its movepool. We haven’t had a quick, fire type starter in OU since Infernape so we’ll see.

Inteleon is Water type, special Weavile. If this mon gets NP it could potentially be OU if the odds are in its favor. 125 SpA is still crazy good.

Grimmsnarl has a great typing but shit bulk and low sped. I really wish its stats weren’t spent on SpA but oh well.

Copperajah looks like a frailer, faster Stakataka that can break past bulky waters and Ferro if it gets Fire coverage. I’m looking hyped for the elephant.

Corviknight might be hella good in both NoDex and NatDex OU. Steel/Flying is such a good typing and its a Skarm with better SpD, Speed and a Celesteela with more Physical Dfse and Speed. I could potentially see SD come to play due to its bulk and usable Atk stat.
Wait when you say nat Dex and no dex so nat dex confirmed so 600 pokemon or 400?

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Mostly this, but nicer. When Nintendo is talking about competitive balance they mean Battle Spot and VGC. They don’t have anything to do with Smogon Tiers, so why would they care about how balanced those are?
It's so important you said this because I don't think enough people get it. Just compare the USUM OU viability ranking and banlist to Battle Spot: In that format stuff like Pheromosa, Naganadel and Mega Lucario is able to exist without being broken.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
I'm sorry, where did Corviknight's stats on the spreadsheet come from, seeing as they are listed as exact rather than ranges? Was a Battle Tower set for it seen somewhere? If not, please change it back to a range, those stats judging by current Corvi's performance in the speculatory meta with lower base stats are insane, and way too high for a regional bird (highest rn is Talonflame with 499 BST, Corvi supposedly has 530 according to the sheet). If those are the real stats... well damn, we got a lot more than Dragapult to worry about.

Smogon will ultimately save us from Dexit.
I'm sorry, where did Corviknight's stats on the spreadsheet come from, seeing as they are listed as exact rather than ranges? Was a Battle Tower set for it seen somewhere? If not, please change it back to a range, those stats judging by current Corvi's performance in the speculatory meta with lower base stats are insane, and way too high for a regional bird (highest rn is Talonflame with 499 BST, Corvi supposedly has 530 according to the sheet). If those are the real stats... well damn, we got a lot more than Dragapult to worry about.
I don't think we know, because I've searched the post that contained all the Battle Tower teams and it doesn't show Corviknight

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/pokemon-sword-shield-pre-release-spoilers.3655568/post-8273026

May I ask what you think about Duraludon's viability? :o
Personally, I don't see it having much success in Singles despite having an amazing type combo. Its special defense is poor, it can easily die to STAB special moves, especially if they are boosted by items or moves like Calm Mind or if entry hazards are on the field.

I'd argue it's much better in VGC where you can resort to Tailwind or Trick Room to support it. That way, you can invest in its bulk. and if you chose to gigamax it, it can fire off its steel signature move without any repercussions. Though, steel isn't a great offensive type to begin with.
Also, you can make your opponent despair with Intimidate and a berry like Figy berry.

I can definitely see it having an amazing movepool, like Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, or Flamethrower. However, if it doesn't get any reliable recovery move, I'd rather use Drampa in singles, which has nice utility and doesn't faint as easily as Duraludon, I think.

On another note, I can see it having a niche in monotype, especially dragon. It's not weak to ice, dragon, and fairy, and if it has access to something like Autotomize or Rock Polish, which it could definitely have it from the looks of it, it could steam roll those teams.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Silly question here:

****:smogthink: Where or how can I get Hidden Abilities in Sword/Shield? :smogthink: ****
As far as I know, the only confirmed way is to do Max Raid battles (preferbly online because i assume the AI is gonna be as dumb as a sack of potatoes).

There could be other ways for all we know though. But still, I'd probably start teaming up with some folks here to handle that! Also note, that Zamazenta and Eternatus (and likely Zacian) have moves that become 200 BP STABs against Dynamaxed mons, so they'll probably come in handy in raids!

On another note, I can see it having a niche in monotype, especially dragon. It's not weak to ice and fairy, and if it has access to something like Autotomize or Rock Polish, which it could definitely have it from the looks of it, it could steam roll those teams.
First of all, thank you for the answer c:

Second, I'm not sure how to feel about Monotype. It's my favorite "meta game" at the moment, but many types will suffer from the Dexcut. Flying (as one of my favorite typings) for example, since we lose Gliscor and Dragonite ... but yeah, I hope Duraludon can find a place in there c:

While this gen seems pretty kind to ice types in general, I want to point out that the pokedex order is usually influenced by the encounter order. So #72 to 81 and #96, 97 all being ice types means this might be the first pokemon game to avert the "ice types come at the end" format by giving you 4 family lines to work with rather early in the game. And Delibird.

Well, I guess Unova sort of counts, but Vanillite and Cubchoo at Gym 5 isn't much to celebrate.
I'm really interested in how the pokedex order will match up with the encounter order. Mantine and Avalugg are near the end of the dex, but we know from previews that they're found in the wild area, so maybe you'll be able to get some late-dex pokemon relatively early? Although I guess now what we can catch is gated off by level, so who knows

think stuff like blunder policy dark void Darkrai and things of that nature could be good if it essentially puts you in a situation where someone has to go to bed or you get a speed boost.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)