SPOILERS! Pokemon Sword & Shield Pre-Release SPOILERS - Check Post 2!

If you look at how it’s worded I think it’s safe to assume it just removes them entirely when he enters the battle, meaning that any screen that is used after this pokemon enters the battle works just fine. I feel like this won’t work like primals’ weathers but rather it will work like intimidate (when it comes to how and when it activates).
Wait a second, does it put down the screens or nullify its effects? Because there's a huge difference between nullufying screens while in-battle (similar to mold breaker but ignoring screen instead) AND disable them entirely.

Wait a second, does it put down the screens or nullify its effects? Because there's a huge difference between nullufying screens while in-battle (similar to mold breaker but ignoring screen instead) AND disable them entirely.
We don't know for sure and that's why we're currently debating it xD

According to the spreadsheet, Corviknight has 90 ATK. Any hopes for an offensive or off-tank set for this?

edit: Now that I speak of it, offensive/offtank set might be a thing for its Gigantamax form. :smogthink:

Last edited:
Brick Break says that screens are "destroyed" and Defog says they're "blown away", so they couldn't use either of those words with "Steam Cleaner". They just used the word "nullify" to mean the same thing.

Even if the doubles point is valid, it could have been worded as "all pokemon ignore the effects of Reflect, Light Screen and Aurora Veil while it's on the field".

The words "nullify" instead of "removes" and "when it enters the battle" instead of "while it's on the field" strongly suggest the effects of this ability are permanent on the screens, rather than being temporary as long as Mr. Rime is out.
It also says it nullifies their *effects*, not nullifies the screens themselves. This is consistent with how Cloud Nine and Air Lock are worded, and is a distinction that Pokemon is usually quite careful to make.

Abilities don't take effect while the Pokemon isn't sent out, as a general rule. (Weather and terrain abilities create a field effect that persists, but the ability itself is not persistent.) So specifying that the ability only has an effect while the Pokemon is in play is redundant. It makes no more sense to assume Screen Cleaner is permanent than it does to assume that Fairy Aura passively boosts your whole team for the battle because the ability doesn't specifically say that it doesn't.

I just noticed certain max moves set up terrains. If the seeds are in the game, then Hawlucha is still thriving (well, without Aegislash around at least.)

Reactions: Eve
I just noticed certain max moves set up terrains. If the seeds are in the game, then Hawlucha is still thriving (well, without Aegislash around at least.)
That should keep the strategy in check, though. While more Pokemon can act as setters, you will only ever get one opportunity to set up terrain in this way. Much like Geomancy, if your opponent somehow manages to interfere with your setting up, you're screwed.

Cloud nine’s wording does not include the word ”nullify” but imo it doesn’t really matter what verb they use but rather what moves it nullifies: we always call the effects of the moves light screen and reflect by their name, but the effects of light screen and reflect aren’t the move themselves, what I mean by this is: while there is an effect that boosts your special defense that effect isn’t light screen itself but rather the effect of the move light screen. pokemon doesn’t refer to the weather rain using “rain dance” or “drizzle” this is because the effect of the move rain dance and the ability drizzle does have a name in pokemon, that is not the case for light screen or reflect. light screen’s description for example is: “A wondrous wall of light is put up to reduce damage from special attacks for five turns” game freak probably decided to refer to the “wondrous wall of light” as the effect of light screen but not to light screen itself, therefore I feel like by nullifying the effects of light screen, reflect and aurora veil you’re just removing them entirely.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Side note: I wonder if Galarian Darmanitan has a Zen Mode form. I know if it does it still won't see use competitively because it's always been highly impractical, but Darmanitan ever since its debut always had the Zen Mode gimmick where it changes to a slower, bulkier, part-Psychic-type form when it falls below half HP should it have Zen mode as its hidden ability. Wondering if Galarian Darmanitan keeps said gimmick as a hidden ability.

Just something I wonder about. It'll be interesting to find out when the game comes out.

this is because the effect of the move rain dance and the ability drizzle does have a name in pokemon, that is not the case for light screen or reflect.
Look at how Brick Break and Psychic Fangs are worded. The barriers themselves do have a name -- it just happens to be the same name as the move which sets them. Gigantamax Lapras's move will probably be worded as setting Aurora Veil or something.

I just noticed too that with the water max move setting up rain, Intellion can hit terrifyingly hard. Specs + rain + a possible Torrent boost.

If its speed is closer to the higher end of that range, and if has a way to hit Dark types, and maybe even has a boosting move, then I could see Polteageist being scary. Give that baby a Focus Sash, eat a Knock Off or Pursuit, get your +2 from Weak Armor, and hope your opponent doesn't have any priority to stop your sweep.

If it gets Endure, then that's even better. It'll let it run Weakness Policy instead of Focus Sash, and it lets it stall out an opposing Dynamax.
It could just will o wisp incoming counters and then tank a hit to boost its speed. The strategy writes itself

Really curious to see what Centiscorch's stat spread ends up being, and what it's other abilities are (PLEASE IMMUNITY TO ROCK TYPE MOVES)/what movepool it gets (PLEASE RELIABLE RECOVERY). REALLY hoping that it's on the higher end of the stats listed.

With the new Anti-Hazard-Boots, it can actually work defensively and offensively. Yes, with the lower end of stats, the thing's physical defense is not good, but it's still physically bulkier than Volcarona which could run a Bulky Quiver set (or even a support set, especially with the new boots). Bug/Fire has a lot of really good resistances, and yes being quad weak to Rock still sucks, as well as weaknesses to good and common Flying and Water types moves...but resisting Fairy, Fighting, Steel, and Grass, all of which probably will be pretty common, is quite nice.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
I know this thread moves faster than light at times, but did anybody do the calculation on Galar Rapidash?
The stat ranges aren't on the spreadsheet. From what I remember seeing on the OG image it looks pretty similar if not the same to vanilla Rapidash.

Side note: I wonder if Galarian Darmanitan has a Zen Mode form. I know if it does it still won't see use competitively because it's always been highly impractical, but Darmanitan ever since its debut always had the Zen Mode gimmick where it changes to a slower, bulkier, part-Psychic-type form when it falls below half HP should it have Zen mode as its hidden ability. Wondering if Galarian Darmanitan keeps said gimmick as a hidden ability.

Just something I wonder about. It'll be interesting to find out when the game comes out.
Not sure about that. Darmanitan is the Blazing Pokémon. Zen Mode was its Hidden Ability, and the fact that you could get that in-game in the Desert Resort made me think it was used to promote Hidden Abilities, and not the fact that its Darmanitan's gimmick. With Mr. Rime being a thing, it's questionable if Zen Mode will be available again as a Hidden Ability to gain Psychic-type to Ice, but on the other hand, Galarian Rapidash, Hatterene, and Gardevoir being available as Psychic/Fairy types didn't bother the developers or the 3 new Fighting-types either, so what's the harm in another Ice/Psychic type?

Not sure about that. Darmanitan is the Blazing Pokémon. Zen Mode was its Hidden Ability, and the fact that you could get that in-game in the Desert Resort made me think it was used to promote Hidden Abilities, and not the fact that its Darmanitan's gimmick. With Mr. Rime being a thing, it's questionable if Zen Mode will be available again as a Hidden Ability to gain Psychic-type to Ice, but on the other hand, Galarian Rapidash, Hatterene, and Gardevoir being available as Psychic/Fairy types didn't bother the developers or the 3 new Fighting-types either, so what's the harm in another Ice/Psychic type?
Zen Mode was both to promote HAs but also a gimmick unique to Darmanitan. It'd be a shame for Galarian Darmanitan to be just another pure-ice type when its Unovan form had a unique (albeit impractical) trait

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)