SPOILERS! Pokemon Sword & Shield Pre-Release SPOILERS - Check Post 2!

If there's something positive we can say about Ice types this generation, it seems like GF is on the whole finally understanding they were built for offense and designing new Ice types accordingly. Mr. Rime has good Special Attack and an ability that negates damage reducing screens, Frosmoth is basically Ice Volcarona in every sense and Galarian Darmanitan likely won't stray far from the original's 140 Attack and 95 Speed considering other Galarian forms haven't done so. The odd man out is Eiscue, but he's more comparable to something like Shedinja in being a very situational but potentially extremely durable blanket check rather than Avalugg.
Totally agree. Unless GF were to give ice more resistances, which I don’t really see happening anytime soon, offense is the way to go with ice types. Their defensive utility really ends with aurora veil and now Eiscue’s cool but gimmicky ability. Looking up info about hail, it really blows my mind that it doesn’t boost ice moves/nerf other attacking types at all like sun and rain. Sandstorm doesn’t for any types either. I think a solid yet understated fix would be to have hail buff ice moves by 20-50%(I feel like 50% might be too much) and boost defense by 50%. Bypassing the accuracy check on a single move is cool and all, but hail needs to do more to better serve ice types.
I’m excited for some hail shenanigans, but I won’t hold my breath too much.

LucarioOfLegends

Master Procraster
is a CAP Contributor
Other than maybe Dreepy, nothing in the dex looks like it might fire a ghostly arrow, or any arrow for that matter.
Aside from its SM animation, I don't think there's anything I've come across that is really stopping it from being distributed. Its Pokedex entry and Japanese name don't really neccesitate any form of arrow, the only thing it talks about is stitching its shadow to the ground and that could be done through numerous means. All it needs is an animation change and you could distribute it to a lot more pokemon.

Do I think that is going to happen, lol no.

A bit late to the discussion, but TRs are a super awesome addition to the game. I remember back when BW2 / ORAS were about to come out, one of the things I was most hyped for was the new movepool additions certain Pokemon got, specifically new ones. Having TRs from the get go is super great because the new Pokemon don't have to deal with having sub-optimal movesets during the start of the generation. ! like how they are balanced to be limited-use as well since the moves are generally much stronger than the regular TMs barring a few exception

Regarding the moves themselves, there is a lot of good stuff. Here are my thoughts on a few of the new TM / TR moves

Mystical Fire: Ghost- and Psychic-types that don't get Flamethrower / Fire Blast would likely make pretty good users for some coverage against Steel-types. Hell, I could see normal Fire-types using this move too just because a guaranteed -1 Special Attack Drop is really powerful.

Razor Shell: This move is likely to have much lower distribution that Liquidation / Waterfall, so I doubt many Pokemon would run this. Still it would be an awesome addition to some Pokemon with shells, like Crustle,

Whirpool / Sand Tomb: Trapping moves like these have fascinated me ever since they got buffed in gen 6. While I doubt these moves will see any mainstream competitive use, they'll be a nice niche option to have on certain Pokemon.

Icicle Spear / Rock Blast: Love multi-hit moves, but outside of Pokemon with skill link or technician, I doubt anything will run these moves over stronger, more reliable options. On a side note, I'm crossing my fingers that Falinks gets Skill Link and learns these moves so it can distinguish itself from other Fighting-types.

Baton Pass: Despite Baton Pass being banned under Smogon's ruleset, I see this as a pretty fun option to abuse in Battle Tower, casual battles, and possibly AG. Passing Baton Pass boost to a relatively weak Pokemon is always really fun haha. With several setup moves as TM/TR moves, I feel that Baton Pass chains will be getting a boatload of new options.

Dragon Dance: DD has been a consistently good setup move throughout the generations, so seeing it become a TR is a bit worrisome for the metagame. Makes me kind of glad Garchomp isn't in the game. I'm hoping this move is distributed to slower Pokemon like the two fossil Dragons instead of fast mons since slower mons are easier to check.

Toxic Spikes: Toxic Spikes is a pretty decent entry hazard and could give more options to certain mons like Ferrothon. Depending how prominent Heavy Duty Boots are, however, it may not be as useful as it once was.

Stored Power: Pretty gimmicky move, but its a really fun gimmick. Baton Pass Teams would likely make the best use of this move, depending on how good its distribution is.

Power Whip / Leaf Blade: Having great physical Grass-type moves have wider distribution is fantastic. I'm predicting Power Whip will be mostly locked to Grass-types while Leaf Blade will have wider distribution. Assuming something like Leafeon of Rillaboom get Power Whip, it'll be a pretty nice upgrade in power compared to Leaf Blade / Drum Beating. The only Pokemon off the top of my head that I can think of that could get Leaf Blade is Aegislash, and it doesn't really benefit from it aside from hitting Hippowdon a bit harder. Still, I'm sure they'll be a lot of other Pokemon who can make great use of this move.

Close Combat: This is a fantastic move no doubt, but I don't see it being as widely distributed as Superpower. Still, several new Pokemons like Cinderace, and Ostagoon seem like feasible candidate to receive this move and they'd make fantastic use of it.

Nasty Plot: Oh boy, I'm worried about this move potentially being a bit too powerful . I know its basically a special version of Swords Dance, which has always had wide distribution, but I felt Swords Dance being widely distributed was generally balanced due to most physical attacks being weaker than Special attacks and Physical Attackers being vulnerable to Burn. Outside of Unaware, I don't know how teams are suppose to deal with ridiculously fast Pokemon like Dragapult spamming +2 Shadow Balls (assuming it get the Nasty Plot that is), especially with Blissey gone. I may be overreacting given that the new metagame has several decent special walls like Clefable and Tyranitar, but this move might push certain Pokemon over the edge.

What do you use to buy TRs? Is it money, bp or these watts that I’ve heard about and if it is watts how do you get them?

What do you use to buy TRs? Is it money, bp or these watts that I’ve heard about and if it is watts how do you get them?
You get Watts from beating a raid. 200 for normal raids, 2000 for bright spots, apparently.
Power Whip / Leaf Blade: Having great physical Grass-type moves have wider distribution is fantastic. I'm predicting Power Whip will be mostly locked to Grass-types while Leaf Blade will have wider distribution. Assuming something like Leafeon of Rillaboom get Power Whip, it'll be a pretty nice upgrade in power compared to Leaf Blade / Drum Beating. The only Pokemon off the top of my head that I can think of that could get Leaf Blade is Aegislash, and it doesn't really benefit from it aside from hitting Hippowdon a bit harder. Still, I'm sure they'll be a lot of other Pokemon who can make great use of this move.
I can never see Leafeon using Power Whip, unless it suddenly grows some vine out of nowhere (oh... I need to unsee the furry potential :psycry:).
Also, I don't think blade in a Pokemon = leaf blade either (unless I forgot the other musketeers can use it, among others like Bisharp).

I'm predicting Power Whip will be mostly locked to Grass-types while Leaf Blade will have wider distribution.
I dunno. Flavorwise, it wouls make more sense for the roles to be reversed. Leaf Blade is described as using a sharp leaf as a sword, while Power Whip is described as a thrashing of "vines, tentacles, or the like". Looking back on what Pokemon can already learn these moves, Leaf Blade has only two non-Grass mons: Farfetch'd, who uses a physical plant as a weapon; and Gallade, whose arms are green, I guess. Meanwhile, Power Whip has three or four non-Grass users, that being Lickitung/Lickilicky, Goodra, and Xurkitree. None of these Power Whip mons have any connection to vegetation.

Now to test this hypothesis by seeing what non-Grass mons look like they might learn each move.
Gallade
I still think this is a weird choice, but the Ralts line learns Magical Leaf through level-up, so I guess it isn't too crazy.

Farfetch'd and Sirfetch'd
As mentioned, they use plants as weapons

Sudowoodo
Eh, it learns Wood Hammer. It's not that big a stretch.

Mimikyu
Its "tail" is a stick, which already lets it use Wood Hammer.

Oranguru
It could use its fan as a blade.

Silvally
It's got blades and can be Grass sometimes.

Drifloon and Drifblim
They've got those dangy arms that they use to snatch up children.

Octillery
Octopuses are known for having tentacles.

Inkay and Malamar
Squids are known for having tentacles.

Clobbopus
Octopuses are known for having tentacles.

Grapploct
Octopuses are... you get it.

Goomy, Sligoo, and Goodra
Goodra already got it, and its prevos also have tentacles.

Eternatus?
If I'm interpreting the image right, this this has tentacles.

So Leaf Blade has 7 mons over 6 families, while Power Whip has 10 or 11 mons over 6 or 7 families. That's closer than I expected, though while I'm only confident in 3 of the Leaf Blade mons (Gallade, Farfetch'd and Sirfetch'd, mons that either already learned Leaf Blade or are based on a mon that learned it), I would be very surprised if the 5 cephalopods can't be taught Power Whip.

Would just like to point out that "Jet Plane Face Dragon" is based on the Diplocaulus, a prehistoric animal that actually existed.

So yeah the fact that you didn't even know about Dragapult's origins speaks a lot more about its subtlety than your comparison to "Land Shark" Garchomp.
That is fair enough to be honest. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, it explains a lot.

I do want to restate that I never wanted to give anyone the impression that I don't like dragapult's design or anything. As I said, I almost like it. And I still think I would have preferred the jet elements to be a bit more subtle. You know, slightly softer edges on the head for example, to more closely resemble the Diplocaulus it's based on. That would also make it more clear that it's not just a generic lizard with a plane as a head.

Why doesn’t ice get more resistances at least, it just makes it feel like game freak just needed a type or two to screw over. Steel is of course the inverse of it, too many resistances but it at least has common weaknesses.
Probably a chicken and egg thing. It's weaknesses are common BECAUSE Steel is so OP

Probably a chicken and egg thing. It's weaknesses are common BECAUSE Steel is so OP
Somewhat, but they are also just strong attacking types. Ground and Fighting are the only types with 5 supereffectives and Fire is one of three types with 4 supereffectives. Ground and Fighting would still be great attacking types without Steel in the game and Fire would still be decent.

Mystical Fire: Ghost- and Psychic-types that don't get Flamethrower / Fire Blast would likely make pretty good users for some coverage against Steel-types. Hell, I could see normal Fire-types using this move too just because a guaranteed -1 Special Attack Drop is really powerful.
I'm wondering if Arcanine gets this for the sake of VGC in particular. If so, it would potentially replace Flamethrower for bulky sets, allowing it to ditch Snarl and run both Morning Sun and Protect, making it even harder to take down. Sounds like an absolute terror.

Since things have slowed down, I will ask that if by chance some older mons get a BST boost, which ones do you have hopes for? Personally, Shiinotic with that 405 BST compared to Amoonguss' 464 BST hurts, so it could certainly bear an HP boost from that measly 60.

Hi everyone !

I know that my question will not be on te above topic, but i assume, you all must be experts in this matter,
I'm about to do a preorder on my sword-copy, via nintendo eshop, here we have 2 versions:

- preorder with free steelbook
- preorder (preload) without free steelbook

the question is, when ill buy the "free steelbook" version, i get the preload option as well, or i must buy the preload version
to get the preload and say goodbye to "free steelbook" ? Yeah, the dumbest question off all times, but still, i greatly need youre support on this!

Cheers and may the shines be with you on 15th !

As with everything else, it's possible to do character development badly, but I don't think it's as bad as you make it sound. Compare Bianca and Cheren with Hugh.

Bianca is going on a Pokemon journey to find her independence as a person. She and Elesa confront her father (who may merely be overprotective or outright emotionally abusive; both interpretations are possible, and you can form your own opinion) but through her interactions with you and Cheren she comes to terms with the fact that the path you seem to be pursuing isn't hers, ending up assisting the professor with research since that's what she finds rewarding.

Cheren's goal is to become the Champion. His use of held items rather than Potions conveys his strategic nature and lends a sense that he has the makings of a strong trainer in him, but when Alder asks what he plans to do after he's on top of the world he has no response. Being the League Champion in Unova isn't like climbing Everest, where "because it's there" is a valid reason to do it; it's a role with a significant amount of influence, and Cheren has no idea what he'd do with that even if he did get it. In the end, N explicitly chooses you as his counterpart over Cheren, who bows out with grace (but still succeeds at fighting his way through the Elite Four, as if just to prove to himself that he was at least in with a shot) and becomes a Gym Leader, using his expertise and wisdom to assist his fellow Trainers.

Hugh is a kid who wants to get his sister's Purrloin back. He shouts a lot at people wearing Team Plasma uniforms, ignoring any nuance in the scenario (like the former Team Plasma members wearing their old uniforms as a symbol of contrition and loyalty to N); he cares about Pokemon, and thinks that things like stealing them and making them sad is bad in the abstract, but he only actually cares about his sister's Purrloin. Eventually he gets back the Purrloin, and he crashes to a halt as a character. The battle in Victory Road is a formality - previous Pokemon games have a rival fight in the run-up to the Pokemon League, so here's Hugh again.
First two paragraphs are so easy to write from a character development PoV. It's so overrated it's not even funny to me. It's not like I don't get what said characters are supposed to experiencie in theoir journeys, i've a grade in spanish philology, I know what I'm referring to when I say both character development and narrative.

Bianca is a cliché that ends nowhere, so her motivations are not only irrelevant but also incongruent from a narrative perspective, because they don't contribute no anything the character comes with later. Also, she's another example of character that, somehow, redeem herself and her vision of the world through contact with her friends, but she does it in the worst of ways. Imagine if she had stayed with her father from the very beggining, assisting professor Juniper, which is what she ends doing. There you have it, no familiar drama. It has no substance.

Cheren's realization is taken from a bad Shounen. "What are you going to do when you get there?" Hmm I don't know man, serve as the formal Champion and live out of it? Because the Pokémon Champion GAINS money, the Pokémon League, if you want to put things that deep and literally, is an official institution that every region has, an official exam you've to pass in order to become the next formal champion and, of course, gain money and prestige with it. I can buy that being the champion wasn't Cheren's true aspiration, but it isn't like "oh, i've climbed the Everest, what should I do now...". It's more like "oh, I've won the Pokémon League, now I can do wathever I want". Another example of I've done everything well but now I don't know what path should I choose, my achievements are fulfilled and yet, my soul feels empty character.

Ok. Let's abstract from the games. Do you think you can just approach a student and ask him/her "what are you going to do when you finish this", only for him/her to inmediatly experience an epiphany and realize that, in the end, his/her life has no sense? That works in shounens, videogames and literature, not so well in real life, which is what a real character development should look like, even if not as epic. Because Cheren answering "I'll gain money and then I'll see what I do next, but first i'll concentrate in winning it" to Alder, even if deeper, doesn't sound as dramatic.

Hugh has none of that. Hugh doesn't care about Pokémon more than you would care about them. Hugh has only 1 thing in mind, a violent, almost excessive attitude towards Team Plasma members because they've harmed his sister. I'm so tired of characters that end forgiving the bad guys because forgiving, somehow again, is a great thing. Hugh pursuit this same goal from the beginning to the end, doesn't change because he doesn't have reasons to, recovers his sisters Liepard and, if I remember correctly, doesn't even forgive the bad guys. That is a character I can relate to.

Hugh has none of that. Hugh doesn't care about Pokémon more than you would care about them. Hugh has only 1 thing in mind, a violent, almost excessive attitude towards Team Plasma members because they've harmed his sister. I'm so tired of characters that end forgiving the bad guys because forgiving, somehow again, is a great thing. Hugh pursuit this same goal from the beginning to the end, doesn't change because he doesn't have reasons to, recovers his sisters Liepard and, if I remember correctly, doesn't even forgive the bad guys. That is a character I can relate to.
He doesn't forgive New Team Plasma, but he does forgive the old ones once their change of heart is proven.

And it's also of note that Hugh is the only "rival" that is never actually a rival. All your battles against him before Victory Road are not "Let's see who's stronger!", but "I need backup against Team Plasma. Are you up to the task?".

There's no competition at all. He has his mission, and you're helping him with it.

Point of clarification on TRs. I know they are single use, but are they only purchasable once also, or can you buy them multiple times, like a carry-able Move Tutor? If they are only purchasable once that would make in-game team building MUCH more difficult if only one mon can get Dragon Dance or another great move.

First two paragraphs are so easy to write from a character development PoV. It's so overrated it's not even funny to me. It's not like I don't get what said characters are supposed to experiencie in theoir journeys, i've a grade in spanish philology, I know what I'm referring to when I say both character development and narrative.
Sorry that this monster-collection role-playing game for children isn't a Borgesian masterpiece?

Bianca is a cliché that ends nowhere, so her motivations are not only irrelevant but also incongruent from a narrative perspective, because they don't contribute no anything the character comes with later. Also, she's another example of character that, somehow, redeem herself and her vision of the world through contact with her friends, but she does it in the worst of ways. Imagine if she had stayed with her father from the very beggining, assisting professor Juniper, which is what she ends doing. There you have it, no familiar drama. It has no substance.
Well, yeah, you just yanked the familial drama out, so no wonder what you're left with is lacking in any familial drama. (Also, if you go with the abusive-father interpretation then a Bianca who never leaves her home comes off as a little insensitive towards those who actually do long to leave an abusive home. We never see her at her parents' home again, but if she does go back it's clearly on her own terms rather than submitting to whatever treatment she received before she left.)

Cheren's realization is taken from a bad Shounen.
Astonishing, a game targeting the shounen demographic is using shounen tropes in its storytelling.

Another example of I've done everything well but now I don't know what path should I choose, my achievements are fulfilled and yet, my soul feels empty character.
Where does anything imply Cheren is unfulfilled? All Alder says is that it's a good idea to seek power in order to do something for the world around you rather than simply because it's power. It contrasts nicely with Ghetsis' willingness to trample anyone and everyone in his path in pursuit of his selfish goal. I'm not saying it's Cervantes, just that it's a solid story for a game that isn't trying to present itself as high literature.

Ok. Let's abstract from the games. Do you think you can just approach a student and ask him/her "what are you going to do when you finish this", only for him/her to inmediatly experience an epiphany and realize that, in the end, his/her life has no sense? That works in shounens, videogames and literature, not so well in real life, which is what a real character development should look like, even if not as epic. Because Cheren answering "I'll gain money and then I'll see what I do next, but first i'll concentrate in winning it" to Alder, even if deeper, doesn't sound as dramatic.
Cheren doesn't immediately undergo an epiphany either - he initially reasserts his stance as a retort, spends a while considering what Alder said and only comes to a decision when you face him on Route 10.

Your Cheren would frankly sound rather sinister. He announces his intention to make a bunch of money and only afterwards decide whether to be a good person or not? The last group in a Pokemon game to declare a singular goal of power and money at any cost was Team Rocket.

Hugh pursuit this same goal from the beginning to the end, doesn't change because he doesn't have reasons to, recovers his sisters Liepard and, if I remember correctly, doesn't even forgive the bad guys. That is a character I can relate to.
That's a pretty disturbing outlook on life, if I'm honest. Someone who refuses to update their views based on the world around them to any extent is inflexible and brittle, and when people break it's not pretty.

Point of clarification on TRs. I know they are single use, but are they only purchasable once also, or can you buy them multiple times, like a carry-able Move Tutor? If they are only purchasable once that would make in-game team building MUCH more difficult if only one mon can get Dragon Dance or another great move.
I can think that it shouldn't be one-buy only, ever since it is one use only. Even TM, when you buy it, leaves their buying record in the shop they are from to tell you you have bought and are owning it, but not completely removed from the list as if it is limited time offer.

My question or worry is whether ALL TRecords are available for sale, or there are some which goes Too Awesome To Use, not sold anywhere....

My question or worry is whether ALL TRecords are available for sale, or there are some which goes Too Awesome To Use, not sold anywhere....
My guess is that TRs are going to be buyable everywhere, but only in the postgame. They fix the broken aspects of having strong early game TMs, such as Shadow Claw in XY, and still allows the move to be taught freely without forcing you to replay the game to farm them.

It's a fantastic happy medium.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)