SPOILERS! Pokemon Sword & Shield Pre-Release SPOILERS - Check Post 2!

Thanks for the response but I guess more specifically I was looking for a list that highlights exactly what moves are new to each mon. I haven't played since gen 5 so my memory and knowledge are both way too far behind to figure out what's new using this list.
DHR is slowly compiling such list in the other dedicated post.

Otherwise, can just wait for release day as Serebii is likely to compile one (They probably already have but won't publish it until it's live)

About Galar Darmanitan Zen Mode, it might be the first time a pokemon is happy to lose health on the Stealth Rock.
It can also lower its own HP with Flare Blitz because yes the ice Darmanitan learns it.
And who knows, pehraps Zen Mode got changed due to the power of this new Darmanitan, we will have to wait and see.

Last edited:

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
Rotom learns electric terrain which could make a good duo with hawlucha (electric terrain then volt switch into the lucha).
And the only pokemons that can make good use of the new Mystical Fire TM are: clefable (which already has flamethrower), Gardevoir, Sylveon, Alcremie, Hatterene and Hindeedee (which has psychic surge has an hidden ability btw).
A lot of them can break the ToxaFerro combo with this new TM and the fact that most of them are psychic type.
Litteraly just Max-Thunder Punch

Huh. So this is more of a retcon that will quite possibly be carried over into future games?

That has a lot of implications and issues for Smogon as well then, especially a full dex.
They didn't remove moves which are simply not learned by anything. So yeah, I assume any move removed in this way is gone permanently.

A couple of questions.

Will Melmetal be available at release? Will the Bulbasaur/Squritle and the Alola starters?

Second, when you Gigantamax, does a Pokemon automatically get those special G-MAX moves?

Cursola's hidden ability:

Perish Body When hit by a move that makes direct contact, the Pokémon and the attacker will faint after three turns unless they switch out of battle.

It has crap defenses but this is a pretty cool ability! Way better than Weak Armor. She can at least put certain sweepers on a timer, though Gengar and ghostly lizard boy will probably just f her up. :psysad:
It has great special bulk and bad physical bulk. Not quite the same as bad defenses.

A couple of questions.

Will Melmetal be available at release? Will the Bulbasaur/Squritle and the Alola starters?
Doesn't look like those will be available until Pokemon Home is available.

Second, when you Gigantamax, does a Pokemon automatically get those special G-MAX moves?
Gigamax moves are a version of Dinamax moves unique to Gigamaxing.
So for example in order to have Gengar's gigamax move (which is ghost type) Gengar needs to know at least one offensive ghost type attack.

Rotom learns electric terrain which could make a good duo with hawlucha (electric terrain then volt switch into the lucha).
And the only pokemons that can make good use of the new Mystical Fire TM are: clefable (which already has flamethrower), Gardevoir, Sylveon, Alcremie, Hatterene and Hindeedee (which has psychic surge has an hidden ability btw).
A lot of them can break the ToxaFerro combo with this new TM and the fact that most of them are psychic type.
Rotom doesn't get to benefit from terrain--you're not powering up the Volt Switch or anything here.

I apologize if this has been asked before, but...do we know exactly how mimicry works? Since it seems to be galarian stunfisk's....only ability.... ._.

I apologize if this has been asked before, but...do we know exactly how mimicry works? Since it seems to be galarian stunfisk's....only ability.... ._.
It changes the type based on terrain, so Electric with elec terrain, Psychic with psyc terrain, and so on.

It changes the type based on terrain, so Electric with elec terrain, Psychic with psyc terrain, and so on.
and you're not just basing this off the description, we know this for sure? It's not just camouflage in ability form?

does it turn it into psychic/steel etc, or pure psychic etc?

and you're not just basing this off the description, we know this for sure? It's not just camouflage in ability form?

does it turn it into psychic/steel etc, or pure psychic etc?
We dont know yet but assuming it works similarly to camoflage, yes

We dont know yet but assuming it works similarly to camoflage, yes
I really doubt that, and I really don't want to believe that. What would be the point of giving a pokemon a good new type combination only to make it be literally unable to use said type combination?

then again, these are the same people that are deleting moves now, too. Without return, what are physical normal-types supposed to use for their STAB? Mega punch, which is a TM again for some reason? That's nice. Hidden power is gone, so I basically wasted my time breeding for certain types of HP? Why is game freak so dumb.

I really doubt that, and I really don't want to believe that. What would be the point of giving a pokemon a good new type combination only to make it be literally unable to use said type combination?
You are saying this like it would be the first case :P

so I basically wasted my time breeding for certain types of HP?
As far as actual competitive scenario goes, you wasted your time to begin with, because Pokemon bred in previous gens have *never* been legal in VGC, and you could actually appreciate not needing to ever do that anymore from now on.

You are saying this like it would be the first case :P
what are you talking about
As far as actual competitive scenario goes, you wasted your time to begin with, because Pokemon bred in previous gens have *never* been legal in VGC, and you could actually appreciate not needing to ever do that anymore from now on.
wow, participating in VGC is the only way to battle other people? I didn't know that, thanks for informing me.

what are you talking about

wow, participating in VGC is the only way to battle other people? I didn't know that, thanks for informing me.
Talking of GameFreaks making new pokemon with insanely good mechanics on paper, only to be on pokemon who are so terrible they can't use them.

Basically see half of Alolan pokedex. Komala who's too terrible to benefit from status immunity, Sandygast who can't even think of using its ability without dieing, Golisopod which basically has an ability that's detrimental to himself, I can keep going for a while...

Nintendo, TPCi, and Game Freak are not responsible for anything related to Smogon, and thus, the only form of competitive we can say they care about is VGC. If it doesn't affect VGC in any way, it's a non-issue.
Pretty much this.

Sneasel pre gen-4, Heracross pre gen-4 (it's moveset is ass) Gengar pre Gen-4... list goes on
Talking of GameFreaks making new pokemon with insanely good mechanics on paper, only to be on pokemon who are so terrible they can't use them.

Basically see half of Alolan pokedex. Komala who's too terrible to benefit from status immunity, Sandygast who can't even think of using its ability without dieing, Golisopod which basically has an ability that's detrimental to himself, I can keep going for a while...
that's...not remotely the same thing....

galarian stunfisk might have a type combination that literally might never be able to take effect in any capacity unless it gets hit by like gastro acid or something, and even that might not work, who knows.

I can't believe you people even think these situations are comparable

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)