SPOILERS! Pokemon Sword & Shield Pre-Release SPOILERS - Check Post 2!

I'm not sure where this lore tidbit goes, but I found this in Heliolisk's entry:

A now-vanished desert culture treasured these Pokémon. Appropriately, when Heliolisk came to the Galar region, treasure came with them.

I'm interpreting this as an allusion to Britain looting ancient tombs, though I could be wrong about that. So does this imply that Galar was also a Poké-imperialist power in the past? :blobthinking:

So Avalugg gets Body Press. It's only 80 base power without STAB but since the damage output comes off Avalugg's base defense it hits pretty hard. It's difficult to visualize just how hard this really hits but if we pretend it runs off the attack stat like a normal move it hits with effective 152 base power with no downside. This is 84% as strong as a fully charged Avalanche and 168% as strong as a 60 bp Avalanche.

Obviously you aren't going to sweep teams with it but Ice / Fighting has decent coverage. It makes it deceptively hard to switch in on. For example:

Ferrothorn is easily 2HKOed

Sp def Corviknight is nearly 3HKOed, 2HKOed when Roosting

Cinderace, or anything around 85/85 uninvested bulk or less, is solidly 2HKOed after a hit from SR.

Tyranitar just dies

Etc. Point is Avalugg has some real offensive presence now. Not sure if it will want heavy boots or just Leftovers but I think Avalugg might be decent this gen.

Last edited:
Just tried to teach Volt Tackle to the G-Max Pikachu through the daycare and it doesnt look like it can be transferred. Secondly I tried putting a Pikachu with Flail in with a Pikachu with Volt Tackle; Flail transferred to the second Pikachu, but Volt Tackle did not transfer to the first.
Try giving either of them a Light Ball. Maybe it's required for that method.

I posted this in the Battle Tower thread, but it appears this incarnation of the tower does not have a banlist on pokemon and you can use the cover legends and Eternatus all the way to the highest tier.
Unpopular opinion: I like this. It's cathartic to steamroll those assholes and their RNG gating, bridges the difficulty gap between main game and postgame, it gives those ubers a use, and people who want to play fairly can still do so.

I would have preferred there was some tangible reward for not using banlisted mons though. Like, perhaps it only saves your record if you don't, or you get more BP, or a special ribbon or something.

My G-Max Pikachu was holding the Light Ball during all the testing
So then it's still a very exclusive move.

Meanwhile, I managed to format my SD card to FAT32 to avoid the dreaded bad driver bug, and started the game.

I found my first yellow-aura wild Pokémon (a Rookidee RIGHT AFTER I had caught one, but it had Roost so it's okay) so the chances seem fairly high. And the story... actually begins a little better than usual, with the hopeless boss battle actually catching me offguard.

I do find some less than ideal things though:
1) The NPC drawing distance. It's lower than the map drawing distance, meaning you can easily see NPCs popping into existence. Having both being different is... not pleasing to the eye.
2) While they did some effort to simplify some functions, the inability to use the touch screen makes others take more time. Also, is it me or you cannot swap moves?
3) There is a Fletchling wind spinner on Hop and Leon's house. Even though Fletchling is not present in Galar. Another "Bellossom not in Alola" problem.
4) Why is it so difficult to find a nickname fitting for a female corvid Pokémon?

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
So then it's still a very exclusive move.

Meanwhile, I managed to format my SD card to FAT32 to avoid the dreaded bad driver bug, and started the game.

I found my first yellow-aura wild Pokémon (a Rookidee RIGHT AFTER I had caught one, but it had Roost so it's okay) so the chances seem fairly high. And the story... actually begins a little better than usual, with the hopeless boss battle actually catching me offguard.

I do find some less than ideal things though:
1) The NPC drawing distance. It's lower than the map drawing distance, meaning you can easily see NPCs popping into existence. Having both being different is... not pleasing to the eye.
2) While they did some effort to simplify some functions, the inability to use the touch screen makes others take more time. Also, is it me or you cannot swap moves?
3) There is a Fletchling wind spinner on Hop and Leon's house. Even though Fletchling is not present in Galar. Another "Bellossom not in Alola" problem.
4) Why is it so difficult to find a nickname fitting for a female corvid Pokémon?
I don’t really take issue with “Pokémon themed object in region despite Pokémon not being present”, like does anyone bat at eye at lawn flamingos in the real world?

By the way, I guess some people here would be happy to find out it's possible to get Ice-type Pokémon as early as when you get to the Wild Area.

I guess it requires luck, but that's what happened to me. The very first section I got to was hailing.

(It's a fine way to introduce players to weather and terrains as well because two of the low-level Pokémon you can find while hailing - Vanillite and Swinub - have Snow Cloak)

Last edited:
By the way, I guess some people here would be happy to find out it's possible to get Ice-type Pokémon as early as when you get to the Wild Area.

I guess it requires luck, but that's what happened to me. The very first section I got to was hailing.

(It's a fine way to introduce players to weather and terrains as well)
I only find the Vanillite as soon as I enter into the Wild area :D I love this new feature

Togetic's wing flapping noises are really annoying.

Anyway, I noticed in Milo's gym that my Corvisquire wasn't benefiting from Grassy Terrain's healing. Has this changed from the demo or am I just derping?
Flying types and pokemon with levitate don't benefit from terrain effects. It's been like that since they were introduced.

I don't know if this is the place to ask, but I've been thinking of some half-competitive, half-in game team movesets and wanted some feedback on what I came up with so far.
Inteleon @ Mystic Water
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tearful Look
- Surf / Scald
- Ice Beam
- Shadow Ball

Dubwool @ Leftovers
Ability: Fluffy
EVs: 252 HP / 6 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Cotton Guard
- Body Press
- Body Slam
- Swords Dance
I'm sure there's better sets to work with, especially whenever HA Sobble is available and post-game, but this is what I'm working with right now when meta-game is currently being worked on.

So I've been messing around on showdown with the Gen 8 beta on showdown and used Grapploct and whooo boy if used right he can be a pain

I used a bulky-physical sweeper set consisting of
The hold item liechi berry
Ability: Technician (only used the ability for one move)
Moves: Liquidation, Power-up Punch, Drain Punch, and Sucker Punch
EV's: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Spd
Adamant nature

thoughts on this set?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)