Other Pokemon Terminology Database

Status
Not open for further replies.
Term: Stale
Explanation: A term describing a meta where creativity is impossible either due to certain meta game trends or extreme team-building restrictions. The most often cause is an overcentralizing Pokemon, though other causes are possible.
Example: The OU Mega-Salamence meta was a stale meta where most teams were Mega Salamence + Mega Salamence checks + Checks to Mega Salamence checks
Refernce: Personal Experience, A post by AM that summed it up nicely

Term: Ferro
Explanation: Short for Ferrothorn
Example: I used a balanced team with a Ferro
Reference: Personal experience

Term: Lop
Explanation: Short for (Mega) Lopunny
Example: I lead the game off with my Lopunny

Term: Kyube
Explanation: Short for Kyurem-Black
Example: My opponent's team is really weak to Kyube

Term: Landog/Landoge/Lando-T
Explanation: Short for Landorus-Therian
Example: I need to keep Scarf Landog to beat my opponent's Manectric

Term: MegaMan
Explanation: Short for Mega Manectric
Example: I'll need to keep MegaMan to revenge kill my opponent's Thundurus

Term: Garde
Explanation: Short for (Mega) Gardevoir
Example: My opponent's team stall team has to keep Bronzong to have a chance at getting past my Garde

theres more but haha i cant think of them rn

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Term: Ferro
Explanation: Short for Ferrothorn
Example: I used a balanced team with a Ferro

Term: Lop
Explanation: Short for (Mega) Lopunny
Example: I lead the game off with my Lopunny

Term: Kyube
Explanation: Short for Kyurem-Black
Example: My opponent's team is really weak to Kyube

Term: Landog/Landoge/Lando-T
Explanation: Short for Landorus-Therian
Example: I need to keep Scarf Landog to beat my opponent's Manectric

Term: MegaMan
Explanation: Short for Mega Manectric
Example: I'll need to keep MegaMan to revenge kill my opponent's Thundurus

Term: Garde
Explanation: Short for (Mega) Gardevoir
Example: My opponent's team stall team has to keep Bronzong to have a chance at getting past my Garde

theres more but haha i cant think of them rn
Going to disagree with having these terms added in. They're extremely arbitrary and having abbreviations of pokemon names is so unnecessary and this is more for metagame relevant information like "stale" which was brought up before.

Going to disagree with having these terms added in. They're extremely arbitrary and having abbreviations of pokemon names is so unnecessary and this is more for metagame relevant information like "stale" which was brought up before.
iirc things like ttar and celetran were added already, yeah? i understand if darknostalgia chooses not to add these in, but theyre suggestions for relevant and commonly used nicknames for pokemon in this meta.

also yeah i disagree with stale being added in

DarkNostalgia

Fading in, fading out, on the edge of paradise
is a Contributor Alumnus
I might only add in nicknames for stuff less obvious. Stuff like MegaMan and Cube are less obvious (megaman is an action figure rite)

Term: Get Fabled
Explanation: To be set up apon and wrecked utterly by a clefable. Either 6-0ed or come from behind win directly caused by Clef
Example: Dark Nostalgia's heatran being reduced to set up bait by T-wave clefable before being calm minded apon and sweeping his team
Reference: Personal experience, Occasionally hear it on Showdown

I admit its a bit of a rare term so you dont have to add if you dont want to but its something that could easily fit under other if you wish and given how hilarious clefable sweeps are ;) may be worth it

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Great thread! May I come with some (hopefully) constructive criticism?

It seems like certain terms are referenced more than once. I saw "Spinblocker" listed twice (both under Roles). "Auto Weather" is listed both under Common Abbreviations and under Other. "BST" is both listed under Roles and Abbreviations.

And frankly, most of the entries under "playstyles" could go in the abbreviations tab. "Ferro", "Lop", "Garde", "MegaMan" and such are clearly abbreviations and not play styles, at least the entries don't give the impression that the terms refer to more than the Pokémon themselves.

Back in the days (it might not be as relevant any more) there was a bit of confusion around the term "SD". In addition to meaning Swords Dance, it can also mean Sunny Day or Selfdestruct (And Smack Down, I guess). Should there be a sentence to clarify, perhaps? Neither of the two latter are much used any more, so I guess Swords Dance "won" that competition. Interestingly enough, it seems like Gen III Shiftry and Mew can learn all three moves (Mew can even have all four, if exported from Gen. III).

I'd also like an entry on the terms "4Drag2Mag", "ChainChomp" and "TyraniBoah", which were popular a generation or two ago. However, I don't know the specifics of the term well enough to explain them myself. However, there a couple terms I think I can do:

Abbreviation
Term: GG - "Good Game"
Explanation 1: A customary way to thank your opponent for the battle.
Explanation 2: A way to signal that the outcome of the battle is practically determined, even though it technically isn't over. Usually used by the winning side.
Example 1: "What a jerk. He was screaming about hax the entire battle, and when I won he didn't even say GG".
Example 2: "His Gliscor allowed me to set up Gyarados to +6/+6, and it was all GG from there on"
Reference: Common usage on the forums and Pokémon Showdown.

Other OR Abbreviation
Term: 6-0'd
Explanation: A battle ends with all 6 Pokémon on one side fainted, but 0 Pokémon on the other side.
Example: "A battle against a Jirachi can easily end up with you 6-0'd without a chance to retaliate because of paraflinch"
Reference: Common usage on the forums.

Other
Term: +6/+6
Explanation: A Pokémon which has boosted two of its stats to the maximum level, typically Attack and Speed or Sp.Atk and Sp.Def.
Example: Repeated usage of Dragon Dance or Calm Mind

Abbreviation
Term: Scarf
Explanation: Choice Scarf. Not to be confused with Silk Scarf (occasionally used by Arceus) or the Pokémon Contest scarves.
Example: ScarfChomp, ScarfTar, Scarfed Pokémon.

And one I'm a little uncertain of, but it's used a lot around here...

Abbreviation
Term: OI
Explanation: Orange Islands, the non-competitive "general Pokémon talk" section of the Smogon Forums.
Example: "We don't discuss the Battle Maison in the OU forum. Try asking in the relevant thread in OI".
Reference: Commonly used on the Smogon Forums.

Last edited:

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Am I allowed to double post? Anyway, I'd like to know how simple terms we can explain here. To give a few examples:

Other
Term: Outspeed/Outspeeding
Explanation: To have a higher effective Speed stat than the opponent, meaning that the Pokémon will get to move first in battle.
Example: Even with a neutral nature and no EV investment, Deoxys-S will outspeed most of the metagame.
Reference: Common usage on forums and analyses on Smogon.

Other
Term: Recovery
Explanation: The act of restoring HP.
Example: Using moves such as Recover or Rest.
Reference: Common usage on forums and analyses on Smogon.

Playstyle
Term: Set up/Setting up - AKA "Boosting"
Explanation: Using stat-raising moves such as Swords Dance or Calm Mind to raise a Pokémon's stats before attacking. Sometimes also used when referring to using the move Substitute.
Example: "Passho Berry allows Volcarona to survive a strong Water-type move once, which allows Volcarona to set up on some common Water-types."
Reference: Common usage on the forums and analyses on Smogon. Quote lifted from Volcarona's analysis.

Other
Term: Forcing out
Explanation: Creating a situation where the opponent is "forced" to switch out his Pokémon, either because you crippled* his Pokémon, or because none of his moves can do reliable damage to your Pokémon. Not to be confused with phasing*, wherein moves such as Roar or Whirlwind are used to forcefully switch out an opponent.
Example: "Fire-types such as Victini, Darmanitan and Mega Houndoom can force out a large portion of Grass-types."
Reference: Common usage on the forums and analyses on Smogon. Quote paraphrased from Gastrodon's analysis.

And a few not-as-intuitive:

Please check this for me...
Term: Speed Tier
Explanation: Used to describe the effective Speed stat of the Pokémon in battle, particularly how fast it is in relation to (groups of) other Pokémon. Two Pokémon with different Speed stats can end up in the same speed tier under certain conditions, such as if one of them is holding a Choice Scarf or has used a boosting move.
Example: "Running a Speed-increasing nature allows Tyrantrum to compete in the same speed tier as neutral Kingdra"

Other
Term: Choice-lock, Choice-locked
Explanation: When a Pokémon is forced to keep using the same move because it is holding one of the Choice items.
Example: "Gyarados can come in on a Choice-locked Earthquake to get a free turn to set up"

Other
Term: Reliable recovery
Explanation: A move that instantly recovers (a lot of) HP without drawbacks or situational disadvantages.
Example: Two of the reliable recovery moves are Roost and Recover. Un-reliable recovery is moves such as Rest (puts you to sleep), Leftovers (recovers very little HP at a time) or Morning Sun (recovers very little HP in Rain).

Last edited:

DarkNostalgia

is a Contributor Alumnus
Thanks Cod, added everything except for OI because I guess this is a competitive definition list lol ;)
I've cleared up repeated definitions/definitions in the wrong place, but just keep an eye out for these 'cos editing hide tags is terrifying lol.

Term: Pulling a Pokeaim
Explanation: In a situation where one would typically lose the battle, the individual lets the timer go down to 0, claiming that their router had been disconnected, and asking for a rematch.
Example: "My sister closed my door and reset my router!"
Reference: the molemen

Explanation: In a situation where one would typically lose the battle, the individual lets the timer go down to 0, claiming that their router had been disconnected, and asking for a rematch.
That's outright disrespectful and not even true at all.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ou-71454

I don't see how aim was gonna lose, WoW M-CharizardX put in a lot of work against improbable's team. Also, Jirachi annoyed the shit out of the opponent's team after Hippowdon went down.

In a situation where one would typically lose the battle, the individual lets the timer go down to 0
There was no clear winner at that stage of the game but aim was up by 6-5 and your post shows a blatant disregard of judgement. I don't think any player in his right mind would let his timer go down to 0 when he was in a decent position.

Term: shitmon
Explanation: a mon that is shit, should never be used in the tier that the topic is on
Example: doublade and ditto in ou
Reference: me, ayyyy lmao

DarkNostalgia

is a Contributor Alumnus
Term: shitmon
Explanation: a mon that is shit, should never be used in the tier that the topic is on
Example: doublade and ditto in ou
Reference: me, ayyyy lmao
Shitmon is already listed in the 'other' section, sorry.

no pls :[ pokeaim is cool and I like his shirts, and it's rude, just like Anal said.

When I get time I'll come around to the terminology listed in the OP and maybe make updates to improve the quality of a few. Keep it up guys n_n

Term: Speed Control
Explanation: Refers to the fact that your team has a way of controlling the speed of your opponents Pokemon during a battle, in order not to get straight out swept by opposing fast threats (whether those are setupmons, scarfers or pokemon with a high base speed).
Example: Common examples include: Thunder Wave, Trick Room, Sand (in case of sand offense), having an own scarfer or even a move like Gyro Ball.
Reference: Personal Experience

I believe it to be significantly different from the previously listed terms regarding speed.

Term: Yellow Magic
Explanation: slang for Thunder Wave, the most skilless way to win a game
Example: 'my zam is gonna hit this man up with some crisp yellow magic'
Reference: youtube.com/thunderblunder777

Not sure how relevant this is in today's meta, but w/e:
Term: dragmag
Explanation: a hyper offensive team with the majority being dragon type, and 2 pokemon being steel. This was used to more effect in gen 5, but is still fairly viable. The premise is to overpower and overwhelm the opposition with the dragons, while making sure to have resistances to common checks by utilizing two steel types.
Example: a suicide lead (such as azelf), a sweeper (m-altaria), wall breaker #1 (kyurem-b), wall breaker # 2 & steel type #1 (magnezone, espcecially good as it traps thingls like skarmory and ferrothorn), hazard removal/wall breaker #3 (excadrill/garchomp, depending on how offensive you want to be), revenge killer (scarf jirachi).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)