Pokemon that benefit the most from Dream World (They see me Update'n,)

@evolutia: Although Emonga has an excellent Dream World ability, this thread is specifically for improvements to D/P pokemon.

@Taruta: Really any Suicune besides offensive Suicune likes Pressure more than Water Absorb, it lets them stall effectively and hold its own in a stall war. Also, SubRoost Zapdos will want Pressure more than Lightningrod, but the other variants will want Lightningrod, as you said.

@DanielG: If it does, I won't be able to write it because I'll be offline for the next few hours, so if you can figure it out for sure before then, can you or someone else write it?
Don't worry, its solved. =]

Pikachu

Dream World Ability: Lightning Rod

Affects: Grants an Electric immunity while also boosting Special Attack

Pros: Light Ball Pikachu just became that much more deadly now that he's boasting close to 600 Special Attack. With Electric being a common attack, he'll find a lot of opportunities to switch in, sub up, and launch super powerful Thunderbolts.

Cons: He's still Pikachu, so he has weak defenses and a mediocre base speed of 90.

Overall: It can certainly find a niche like before, but it'll still be tricky.

I'll do more, but I just wanted to get this one out there.

Too bad that thunderpunch is an EGG MOVE on infernape, meaning the only real benefit (barring some rad move tutors) will be for mach punch. :(

I really think Sceptile should be included in the list; with its new ability, Unburden.
Thing with this is, Sceptile doesn't need the speed really. It's base 120 is enough, if anything it could of benefitted more from Solar Power. Though I could see how a Petaya Berry set could work with Unburden, but still, it's an ability that I felt was wasted.

Pikachu

Dream World Ability: Lightning Rod

Affects: Grants an Electric immunity while also boosting Special Attack

Pros: Light Ball Pikachu just became that much more deadly now that he's boasting close to 600 Special Attack. With Electric being a common attack, he'll find a lot of opportunities to switch in, sub up, and launch super powerful Thunderbolts.

Cons: He's still Pikachu, so he has weak defenses and a mediocre base speed of 90.

Overall: It can certainly find a niche like before, but it'll still be tricky.

I'll do more, but I just wanted to get this one out there.
I'll add yours in with minor improvements, but good job!

Dream World Ability: Lightningrod

Ability Characteristics:
All electric attacks are drawn to this pokemon plus when this pokemon gets hit by a electric attack its special attack gets boosted one stage.​

Pros:
Whats not to like, switch into an electric and get special attacks boost. Thanks to this abilty zapdos can take any electric, get a free boost and then thanks to roost, recover his lost health. This ability puts zapdos into a whole new offensice category.​

Cons:
Unfortunately Zapdos loses 25% health everytime it switches in, thanks to stealth rocks.Also if you want to run Zapdos defensively do not use this ability. Pressure is the better choice by far, thanks to it being able to make the enemy use up its moves pp.​

Summary:
Zapdos has two great abilities. One to be offensive, one to be offensive. Thanks to those two abilities I can see his usuage rising.​

Dream World Ability: Lightningrod

Ability Characteristics:
All electric attacks are drawn to this pokemon plus when this pokemon gets hit by a electric attack its special attack gets boosted one stage.​

Pros:
Whats not to like, switch into an electric and get special attacks boost. Thanks to this abilty zapdos can take any electric, get a free boost and then thanks to roost, recover his lost health. This ability puts zapdos into a whole new offensive category.​

Cons:
Unfortunately Zapdos loses 25% health everytime it switches in, thanks to stealth rocks.Also if you want to run Zapdos defensively do not use this ability. Pressure is the better choice by far, thanks to it being able to make the enemy use up its moves pp.​

Summary:
Zapdos has two great abilities. One to be offensive, one to be offensive. Thanks to those two abilities I can see his usuage rising.​
Thanks man, you are gonna be the very best. :naughty:

Um first why does it say posted by Fat Jlance? And just saying you might want to move it under my name. Plus although you won't be updating, I will keep throwing more pokemon analysis's up.

@DanielG
My name is The King of Harts, not Kingdom of Harts, ya big silly.

Poliwrath

Dream World Ability: Swift Swim

Ability Characteristics: Doubles speed in Rain.

Pros: With access to Belly Drum, Poliwrath can now boost his attack to astronomical heights all the while having boosted speed as well in the what is soon to be common rain. Two great STABs grant nearly flawless coverage and his 90/95/90 defenses aren't to be taken lightly either. Resistances to Rock, Water, Dark, Ice, Bug, Ghost, and Steel will allow him to switch in quite easily and sub up for easier drumming.

Cons: Losing Water Absorb doesn't allow him to switch into water attacks as easy, but he still resists them and has decent Special Defense. Losing the free recovery isn't an issue since Belly Drum and Substitute will drain most his HP anyways.

----------------------------------

Mamoswine

Dream World Ability: Thick Fat

Ability Characteristics: Reduces the damage of Fire and Ice types by 50%, effectively giving it resistances to those types

Pros: He finally has a useful ability. He also loses what is probably his biggest weakness to Fire, and adds a useful resistance in Ice to considerably improve his bulk. Losing the Fire weakness most certainly improves his status as a Lead, and means less switching on Choice sets.

Cons: None since Snow Cloak was practically useless on him.

Sceptile

Dream Wold Ability: Unburden

Ability Characteristics: Doubles speed when item is either consumed, lost or taken.

Pros: Sceptile becomes the fastest non-Scarfed Pokemon after it's item is used, and Fling makes the all the more possible. The combination of Fling and Swords Dance could prove to be quite deadly when paired with Earthquake and Leaf Blade. He can even take a page out of Empoleon's strategy guide and Sub/Swords Dance with a Salac Berry. Grass may not have great coverage, but 1770 Attack and 1017 Speed are not to be taken lightly.

Cons: None as Overgrow was never really taken advantage of thanks to Grass's poor coverage.

Crawdaunt

Dream World Ability: Adaptability

Ability Characteristics: STAB attacks now receive a 2x boost instead of a 1.5.

Pros: With Rain becoming even more popular and Crabhammer's boost to 90 accuracy, Crawdaunt makes great use of his monstrous attack with Adaptability. He can now be terror in the hit-and-run game with a Choice Band, or he can stay and fight with Swords Dance, boosting his offensive prowess to godly levels. Adaptability takes the power of Crabhammer and Crunch to new heights and takes Crawdaunts usage with it.

Cons: Crawdaunt doesn't have the security of never having his Attack dropped by the likes of Intimidate, but Adaptability makes up for it.

Pokemon: Salamence
Dream World Ability: Earthquake Spiral/Arrogance/Overconfidence

Lv1: Fire Fang, Lv1: Thunder Fang, Lv1: Rage, Lv1: Bite, Lv1: Leer, Lv1: Headbutt, Lv5: Bite, Lv10: Leer, Lv16: Headbutt, Lv20: Focus Energy, Lv25: Ember, Lv30: Protect, Lv32: DragonBreath, Lv37: Zen Headbutt, Lv43: Scary Face, Lv50: Fly, Lv53: Crunch, Lv61: Dragon Claw, Lv70: Double-Edge, Lv80: [M525] Dragon Tail

TM01 - Claw Sharpen, TM02 - Dragon Claw, TM05 - Roar, TM06 - Toxic, TM10 - Hidden Power, TM11 - Sunny Day, TM15 - Hyper Beam, TM17 - Protect, TM18 - Rain Dance, TM21 - Frustration, TM26 - Earthquake, TM27 - Return, TM31 - Brick Break, TM32 - Double Team, TM35 - Flamethower, TM38 - Fire Blast , TM39 - Rock Tomb, TM40 - Aerial Ace, TM42 - Facade, TM44 - Rest, TM45 - Attract, TM48 - Troll, TM59 - Complete Burn, TM65 - Shadow Claw, TM68 - Giga Impact, TM71 - Stone Edge, TM78 - Smooth Over, TM80 - Rock Slide, TM82 - Dragon Tail, TM87 - Swagger, TM90 - Substitute, TM94 - Rock Smash, HM01 - Cut, HM02 - Fly, HM04 - Strength

Pros

Salamence now has two excellent abilities to choose from, and can help it sweep at a moment's notice. While Intimidate helps with switching in, Arrogance will allow Salamence to gain an attack boost once it KOs an enemy. This allows it to become a more effective mixed attacker, or potentially reach +2/+1 on the Dragon Dance set.

Cons

The loss of Outrage really hurts Salamence, as it is no longer a tutor move in Black and White. Unless it gets it via breeding, Salamence will have no choice but to resort to the inferior Dragon Claw. At least is isn't locked in, though!

(on Alakazam)

Cons
Like the Ability description says, even though you won't take damage each turn from things like Burn and Poison, but you will still get the stat reduction associated with the status effect, like the Attack drop. Paralysis still cuts your speed, but you won't be seizing up.
Attack drop really isn't a con for Alakazam and Poison has no stat drop unless something changed... Paralysis is the only serious con.

(on Infernape)

Drain Punch gets special mention as well, boosting up to 90 BP, but is silly to put it on something as frail as infernape.
I'm not sure I can agree that 90-power Drain Punch is silly, exactly. Maybe not better than Close Combat, but Blaziken is stronger on the physical powerhouse front now. Like Dragonite trying to compete with Salamence on Speed, I'm not sure Infernape wants to try to compete with Blaziken on power when it could be using its own unique moves instead, like Nasty Plot, U-Turn, Grass Knot, and now Drain Punch.

The best potential I see for Drain Punch is allowing Infernape to offset residual damage from spikes (of any kind), Sand Stream, and Life Orb recoil, keeping it just healthy enough to avoid the threat of revenge priority moves or being OHKOed by neutral-damage moves. In the absolute best-case scenario, Infernape recovers full health from a Blissey or half of its health from an Empoleon or Sazando or Heatran or something like that... But even if Infernape can only take off 30% HP from an opposing Pokemon by hitting a neutral attack, that's still ~15-17% healing (assuming enemy HP in the base 70-85 range), which outweighs one layer of Spikes and can offset Life Orb damage plus Sandstorm.

Little bits of healing here and there could allow it just one more attack than it would have otherwise gotten, which might be valuable. Obviously it's hard to say in theorymon, and Infernape's Flare Blitz boosted with Blaze is a pretty compelling reason to stick to Blaze (and another thing Blaziken can't do if it's using Speed Boost), but I wouldn't write off Drain Punch until it's been tried.

(on Venusaur)

With sleep powder it can put its counters out of commision and in the sun synthesis restores 50% of its health.
"Commission" and even better than 50%--it's 66% in sun.

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
Hey guys, can we post a list somewhere of all the new abilities and what they do?? I haven't really been researching this that much, but I'm curious to know what new abilities like "encourage" do.

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
Attack drop really isn't a con for Alakazam and Poison has no stat drop unless something changed... Paralysis is the only serious con.

I'm not sure I can agree that 90-power Drain Punch is silly, exactly. Maybe not better than Close Combat, but Blaziken is stronger on the physical powerhouse front now. Like Dragonite trying to compete with Salamence on Speed, I'm not sure Infernape wants to try to compete with Blaziken on power when it could be using its own unique moves instead, like Nasty Plot, U-Turn, Grass Knot, and now Drain Punch.

The best potential I see for Drain Punch is allowing Infernape to offset residual damage from spikes (of any kind), Sand Stream, and Life Orb recoil, keeping it just healthy enough to avoid the threat of revenge priority moves or being OHKOed by neutral-damage moves. In the absolute best-case scenario, Infernape recovers full health from a Blissey or half of its health from an Empoleon or Sazando or Heatran or something like that... But even if Infernape can only take off 30% HP from an opposing Pokemon by hitting a neutral attack, that's still ~15-17% healing (assuming enemy HP in the base 70-85 range), which outweighs one layer of Spikes and can offset Life Orb damage plus Sandstorm.

Little bits of healing here and there could allow it just one more attack than it would have otherwise gotten, which might be valuable. Obviously it's hard to say in theorymon, and Infernape's Flare Blitz boosted with Blaze is a pretty compelling reason to stick to Blaze (and another thing Blaziken can't do if it's using Speed Boost), but I wouldn't write off Drain Punch until it's been tried.

"Commission" and even better than 50%--it's 66% in sun.
I have to disagree with this comment. Blaziken isn't able to attack from the special side of things, because it doesn't get access to nasty plot like infernape. Plus, infernape is still able to abuse it's priority attacks (except now it can do so even better!). Blaziken got some cool upgrades, but I think that it will still be outclassed by infernape.

Edit: Sorry, didn't mean to double post. I thought that the first post didn't go through, so I just made a new one. I guess it did...

Pokemon: Salamence
Dream World Ability: Earthquake Spiral/Arrogance/Overconfidence

Lv1: Fire Fang, Lv1: Thunder Fang, Lv1: Rage, Lv1: Bite, Lv1: Leer, Lv1: Headbutt, Lv5: Bite, Lv10: Leer, Lv16: Headbutt, Lv20: Focus Energy, Lv25: Ember, Lv30: Protect, Lv32: DragonBreath, Lv37: Zen Headbutt, Lv43: Scary Face, Lv50: Fly, Lv53: Crunch, Lv61: Dragon Claw, Lv70: Double-Edge, Lv80: [M525] Dragon Tail

TM01 - Claw Sharpen, TM02 - Dragon Claw, TM05 - Roar, TM06 - Toxic, TM10 - Hidden Power, TM11 - Sunny Day, TM15 - Hyper Beam, TM17 - Protect, TM18 - Rain Dance, TM21 - Frustration, TM26 - Earthquake, TM27 - Return, TM31 - Brick Break, TM32 - Double Team, TM35 - Flamethower, TM38 - Fire Blast , TM39 - Rock Tomb, TM40 - Aerial Ace, TM42 - Facade, TM44 - Rest, TM45 - Attract, TM48 - Troll, TM59 - Complete Burn, TM65 - Shadow Claw, TM68 - Giga Impact, TM71 - Stone Edge, TM78 - Smooth Over, TM80 - Rock Slide, TM82 - Dragon Tail, TM87 - Swagger, TM90 - Substitute, TM94 - Rock Smash, HM01 - Cut, HM02 - Fly, HM04 - Strength

Pros

Salamence now has two excellent abilities to choose from, and can help it sweep at a moment's notice. While Intimidate helps with switching in, Arrogance will allow Salamence to gain an attack boost once it KOs an enemy. This allows it to become a more effective mixed attacker, or potentially reach +2/+1 on the Dragon Dance set.

Cons

The loss of Outrage really hurts Salamence, as it is no longer a tutor move in Black and White. Unless it gets it via breeding, Salamence will have no choice but to resort to the inferior Dragon Claw. At least is isn't locked in, though!
Not really related, but where are you guys getting the full TM list?
If TM01 is Claw Sharpen does that mean Focus Punch is no longer a TM?
Breloom won't like that.

EDIT: Found a list here:
http://www.gamespot.com/ds/rpg/pokemonds3/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-56410771&pid=989552&page=0

What about Kabutops and Kingdra?
I understand that they aren't directly benefitted from the dream world.
However, with rain (probably) so prevalent, these guys would hit hard and fast.
Man...I feel like the meta might go crazy spA-oriented.

does anyone else think zard will rise again?
i mean imagine this
drought ninetails lead, then switch to zard on something he will scare away, sets up a sub on the switch and then abuses life orb, fire blast, solar beam, and air slash? only thing is it still takes the 1/16 solar power damage, but thats not too bad

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Not sure if anyone did this already but...

Solar Power Fire Blast from Modest LO Charizard in the sun to Blissey: 53.5% - 63%

Damn.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Blissey would heal off the damage and have Zard hurting himself instead.
If Zard fires off a Fire Blast into the switch-in, it will not only KO almost anything, but also KO Blissey before it can attack. SpecsOgre does the same thing in Ubers.

Also, two things. On Poliwrath, SS boosts speed +2, not +1. @lmitchell0012: Blaziken also gets Vacuum Wave, to abuse priority, it hits harder off the bat on the special side (hitting switch-ins harder), and does learn SD while having higher attack than Infernape, so it does hit harder on the physical side, like Jiggy said.

EDIT: @SlyShady: What does Justice Heart do? I couldn't find it online. Also, how does Gliscor get Roost? Is there a new Move Tutor?
@The King of Harts: I don't think Sceptile with Unburden helps it very much, or at all, considering its already blazing speed.
@DanielG: When you say it's solved, do you mean that Gyarados does or doesn't get Earthquake Spiral?
@IcyMan28: O.o Salamence gets Earthquake Spiral? Jeez...
Also, if this turns into an article, I would be happy to proofread it. I've noticed quite a few grammatical errors in it.

Blissey would heal off the damage and have Zard hurting himself instead.
thats still amazing for a special attack, and if blissy switches into zard while zard uses fire blast, thats a 2HKO for him, because he will outspeed and KO her with another fire blast

EDIT:I Was Ninja'd

Woah, i was waiting for new abilities for swampert and blaziken. As for now Blaziken is sure to go to OU since he gets speed boost, SDs + Speed boost turn 1, sweep! As for Swampert, he won't die to explosion! FUCK YEAH! Except GF is crazy giving Blaziken speed boost >_>, making Infernape useless now...
Doesn't Blaziken also know baton pass? Like a Sweeper Ninjask.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)