Let's Play! Pokemon that surprised you (for better or worse) in a Nuzlocke run?

For me...

For Better:

1) :gs/magneton: Magneton (Crystal) - Very good defensive typing for major opponents, can spread paralysis to turn fights around, and hits very hard with Thunder + Rain Dance, with (lots of) item spam was capable of soloing Red by using his Pikachu to set-up and that too after outstalling his Thunder.

2) :xy/cradily: Cradily (Omega Ruby) - Super tanky and gets even harder to kill with Stockpile, excellent offensive and defensive typing, and levels up turbo fast at higher levels.

3) :gs/nidoqueen: Nidoqueen (Crystal) - Very bulky and reasonably hard-hitting with good coverage, can be attained before Whitney if you get enough money and your Mom purchases enough items, was capable of beating Whitney down (forgot exactly how though lol), and was a great stalwart overall for my Nuzlocke.

Honorable Mentions:

4) :gs/bellsprout: Bellsprout (Crystal) - Not gonna solo the game any time soon but their Grass-typing makes them a very welcome ally to Cyndaquil against the game's legions of Rock and Water-types, including the dreaded Anthony outside Union Cave whom he made mincemeat of (this guy has legit ended some of my runs in the past with his annoying Geodude's Rock Throw). Can sweep Bugsy while underleveled in spite of a level disadvantage against Scyther and a 4x typing disadvantage by setting up Growth to +6 and using Sleep Powder to set up as well as weaken Scyther - admittedly I needed a couple or so Potions and an X-Accuracy (in these games it makes attacks never miss minus OHKO moves) - and aided in catching mons as well as helping take down others like Croconaw who otherwise were quite annoying.

For Worse:

1) :xy/blaziken: Blaziken (Omega Ruby) - Died against Sydney of the Elite Four, thank you for missing so often HJK :( Still great though :)

2) :gs/stantler: Stantler (Crystal) - Strong but hilariously poor when it comes to movepool access, needs a lot of babying to be happy enough for max power Return pretty much sucks at everything not called Attack or Speed and lacks either the powerful moves or the versatility to benefit from it. If you wanna use them, be prepared to baby them extensively with X-Items to get their full power Return. They can't even use Strength!

Last edited:
Agreed, my man. Those three are really good and not too hard to get.

Mind describing those two for me? What did they do?
They hard counter Fantina. Lopunny gets return+foresight, wormadam can't be touched. Both have good defenses and a single weakness and can be fully evolved by gym 2 (I waited for the bike to evolve buneary).

Later, lopunny gets agility+baton pass, allowing easy set up against Cyrus and Cynthia since you can't be ohkoed. You can also pass substitute and double team if you like.

Not only are magnezone and gyarados both amazing on their own, but they way they work in tandem covering each other's weaknesses with corresponding resistances makes it a tough core to crack. I won Nuzlocke World Cup by utilizing this core frequently and currently my team is deathless in Nuzlocke Premier League.

They hard counter Fantina. Lopunny gets return+foresight, wormadam can't be touched. Both have good defenses and a single weakness and can be fully evolved by gym 2 (I waited for the bike to evolve buneary).

Later, lopunny gets agility+baton pass, allowing easy set up against Cyrus and Cynthia since you can't be ohkoed. You can also pass substitute and double team if you like.

Not only are magnezone and gyarados both amazing on their own, but they way they work in tandem covering each other's weaknesses with corresponding resistances makes it a tough core to crack. I won Nuzlocke World Cup by utilizing this core frequently and currently my team is deathless in Nuzlocke Premier League.
1. That sounds pretty dank! I absolutely love it when you encounter these ''hidden gems''. The idea of setting up against Cyrus and Cynthia is dope.

2. Huh, interesting. I might wanna try that pair the next time I do an USUM Nuzlocke.

1. That sounds pretty dank! I absolutely love it when you encounter these ''hidden gems''. The idea of setting up against Cyrus and Cynthia is dope.

2. Huh, interesting. I might wanna try that pair the next time I do an USUM Nuzlocke.
For the final round of Nuzlocke World Cup, we had to do a set, no healing wedlocke. I played Ultra Sun, a game I had never bothered to complete before, and it was very tough! The only pair I kept alive from start to finish was Drizzle Pelipper+Magnezone, and they were fun. I also had a Gyarados added to the team later on, because why not?

Oh, and Crobat was the total MVP of that wedlocke, though I tossed him out before Victory Road due to poor E4 matchups. Thief, U turn, Leech life, Z-fly, haze, roost. He had so many tools and single handedly wrecked so many totems and bosses. Even was adamant with a perfect atk IV. It really hurt to let him go right after he basically soloed Gladion.

For the final round of Nuzlocke World Cup, we had to do a set, no healing wedlocke. I played Ultra Sun, a game I had never bothered to complete before, and it was very tough! The only pair I kept alive from start to finish was Drizzle Pelipper+Magnezone, and they were fun. I also had a Gyarados added to the team later on, because why not?

Oh, and Crobat was the total MVP of that wedlocke, though I tossed him out before Victory Road due to poor E4 matchups. Thief, U turn, Leech life, Z-fly, haze, roost. He had so many tools and single handedly wrecked so many totems and bosses. Even was adamant with a perfect atk IV. It really hurt to let him go right after he basically soloed Gladion.
A no healing Wedlocke? That is tough! I have no idea how you'd make it through lol.

And...you won, right?!

I hope i'm not too late, but for me it's...

For Better:

:Simipour: (Black): this one is surprisingly good, even thought it's so painful to level up and once it evolve it learn like zero moves this monke can learn many TMs and become like army swiss knife mon, it even save me from being swept when facing drayden dragon dance team, (your sacrifice will be forever remembered Rain).

:Hypno: (Fire Red): after losing my only pschic/special counter snorlax to saffron gym trainer destiny bond gastly, i quickly scour through many other option and find hypno to be pretty good, with it's SpDef and stat i can go mixed with shadow ball/psychic combination which i find very good in run.

:Slaking: (Emerald): in my second run, i encounter slakoth in petalburg woods thinking it could be useful in later, i was wrong turns out Slaking is the MVP of that run even with truant it's bulk and power proven to be very valuable, it's able to save me from losing several time when facing last 2 gym leader with hyper beam, shadow ball, Eq, "filler".

For Worse:

:Blaziken: (Emerald): during my first run at first i go with torchic as my starter thinking blaziken is pretty good for the run, turns out i was wrong while blaziken is decent enough, it was pretty frail and have a hard time in late game due to gym matchup and grinding place, even though i wiped out by winona i already can see it's difficulty of grinding blaziken for later gym and especially E4.

Last edited:

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
Hehe. You know what Nuzlockes and forum threads have in common? A lack of activity results in death. Okay, all jokes aside, this isn't me doing that annoying "nobody's active" thing. I'm sure we all know that guy. I used to be him. But anyway, allow me to mention my "Best" pick for this list, that being Echo the Whismur. (At least, that's what I named her.)

For context: I had started up my first ever Nuzlocke run a recent while ago, the game in question being Pokémon Alpha Sapphire. This was originally supposed to be an Emerald Nuzlocke on an Adobe Flash site, but... let's not talk about that. Anyway. I haven't played it much lately and am only about 2 gyms in, but from what I have done so far... good lord, Whismur's gonna be a beast in this Nuzlocke. The reason? Echoed Voice.

Echoed Voice, for those who don't know, is a 40 base power Normal-Type special move that does extra damage the more turns it is used in a row. The power goes from 40 to 80 to 120 to 160, finally hitting a maximum of 200 if used five turns in a row, before looping back to 40 from turn 6 and restarting the cycle. The TM for this move is available before the first Gym, but Whismur doesn't even require the TM to be used. In addition, Whismur can be found 100% of the time in Rusturf Tunnel (at least in the earlygame, idk after the National Dex is unlocked.) Whismur also gains a STAB bonus on the move, further increasing its damage yield. Whismur has other things going for it too. For example, Soundproof is a great ability against various miscellaneous opponents in Nuzlockes, and to top it all off, Whismur's type coverage lategame after it evolves once or twice can help with most opponents who can't handle the sheer power of Turn 5 Echoed Voice.

As someone who was and still is brand new to actually performing a Nuzlocke run for real, I was not expecting Echo to be this over-powered so far. This Quick Claw wielding, Quiet-natured (fitting, I know) Pokémon is so strong so far that I'm actually considering outright banning Whismur from any ORAS Nuzlockes I do. It is at this point where I'm hesitant on what to do, but I noticed the Fighting Gym is coming up. I'm probably going to do two separate runs of that Gym, one being a sort of suspect test for this ban, and make a decision afterward. What do you guys think? I'd love to read your feedback.

EDIT: Okay then, I just checked Bulbapedia and apparently the reset to 40 power doesn't even exist. I haven't gotten that far in the game yet so I wouldn't know, but... that could be a disaster.

NuttyRabbit

Banned deucer.
:ss/Grumpig: (Sapphire) After a brutal series of team losses between Wattson and Flannery, I was just about ready to call the run a bust or at least assume it would be a brutal slog. However, Spoink, and later Grumpig, pulled through heavily thanks to their solid bulk, decent abilities, and great movepools. While Grumpig was never a worldbeater, its ability to tank saved me during Flannery, Tate and Liza, and even Wallace.

:ss/Snorlax: (Fire Red) So going in I knew Snorlax was strong, but actually using it? It's something I legitimately think is banworthy in FRLG for how ridiculously strong it is the entire game between its massive bulk, potent offensive stats, and insane movepool that can give you near perfect coverage between Body Slam/Shadow Ball/EQ (walled by Steel birds that aren't even in Kanto). Absolute monster all around

:ss/Lombre: (Sapphire) You know, when I caught a water type for Flannery, I expected it to learn, you know, water STAB. Lombre didn't have that or really, anything going for it. It falling to a random encounter, while sad, did give me room to add Tentacool and I never looked back

I'm doing a casual Nuzlocke of X right now (with Level Caps).

I would say Mawile. I knew it didn't have a particularly high BST, so I figured she would die quickly. Nope. Probably could have soloed Grant if I hadn't been dumb and lead with Quilladin. Even at just Level 25 it has decent coverage, and Steel/Fairy is one of the best type combos in the game. She'll probably end up soloing Korrina just by using Fairy Wind lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)