Challenge Pokemon with Status Moves ONLY (Pokemon Black Complete!)

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
I wasn't planning on posting until I finished writing, but I have played through MOST of Soul Silver, (I say most because I'm planning on recording the battle against Red.) but with the thread bumped I feel like I have to say my plan was to get through Johto then start writing so I'd have an ahead start then start posting... Needless to say, that didn't go too well with writing motivation. My current plan is to post the entire playthrough/fanfiction at one on a fan fiction website then linking it.

After I post Soul Silver don't expect anything else soon. Pokemon Black looks extremely painful if you stick to no Potions in battle, which I plan on doing because I don't value my sanity. If anyone else does it, I highly recommend spamming Potions against the first N battle because the alternative involves soft resetting for a 1/100 Snivy with 13 Defense and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

For now, I have this.

Pokemon Emerald Status Moves Only
Climmy: I challenged your daughter. Can I have Pokeballs now?
Birch: Are you sure you challenged her? She hasn’t come back yet.
Climmy: I’ll challenge her again.

Later...

Climmy: Is May back yet?
Birch: No.
Climmy: Can I have Pokeballs now?
Birch: No.
Climmy: Screw you, I’m out. Hoenn can drown and burn for all I care.

The End!

Note: This is Barely Arguably Hypothetically Possible. (Yes, I had to use two words that effectively mean “kind of, but not really” to come close enough.) In the following we’re assuming perfect luck through extreme Random Number Generator (RNG for short) manipulation.

The key to this the Hypothetically possibility is that Tackle has 95 Accuracy in Gen III.

If the goal is complete the game without using attacks, then you can “fight” wild Poochyena on Route 103 that only know Tackle, which has 35 PP vs Growl’s 40 PP. You can survive Struggle if you use a Potion, which you’ll be able to get 11 of (1 from free a gift and 10 from spending all your money.) which is how you can Level Up your starter (unless it’s Treecko, which has the 30 PP Leer.) Mudkip learns Mud Slap at Level 6, so it’s not worth Leveling it up. If you go with Torchic you get Focus Energy at Level 7. It takes 4 Level 4 Poochyena for that much experience, so that takes 4 Potions. The Rival’s Mudkip has Tackle and Growl for 75 PP total, but Torchic’s Focus Energy and Growl have only 70 PP. If you add the 7 potions you have left, (You can use them to take up turns if you let Tackle hit.) you get 77 Turns total. That gives Mudkip 2 turns for Struggle which deals 6 Damage to itself per Max Damage Critical Hit against a 0 IV -Def Nature Torchic for 12 total, 8 short of the 20 needed. (For insult to injury, Treecko and Mudkip both learn their first moves at Level 6. If Torchic learned its first move at Level 6 instead of 7 like the other starters, then you would be able to save two potions by only Leveling Up once instead of twice, which is exactly how many more you need for this to be hypothetically possible. (If this was possible, I’d be tempted to make a Pokemon Emerald Status Moves Only Tool Assisted “Speedrun.”)

If the goal of the run to complete the game without dealing damage with attacks, which adds a loophole that lets you attack as long as you miss, you can pick Mudkip for 75 PP between Tackle and Growl. If Treecko uses Pound 35 times before using Leer at all and you use Growl, then Tackle will deal 3 Damage before Growl and 2 after any amount of Growls, for 71 Damage total, which you can heal. Even if you let Leer happen, -6 Attack from Growl cancels out the -6 from Leer and you’d take 105 Damage total, which you can still heal. (Personally, I don’t think this counts, but if someone wants to make a Tool Assisted “Speedrun” of it... :P)

If the goal is to do anything with Treecko in this kind of challenge, you’re screwed. Treecko has Leer which has less PP than Tackle, so you’ll be forced to attack before the opponent is forced to use Struggle. That said, I’d pick Treecko just because it cuts off any impossible hypothetical possibilities of being able to do anything. If you disagree, think about the odds a 5% chance happening 35 times in a row.

Edit: I'd post this in the Sword/Shield discussion, but it feels like stating the obvious like and too much like self promotion.

Version I'm getting: Shield
Starter I'm picking: Grookey if it learns Leech Seed.

Last edited:

CTNC

I thought it would be funny to upload an unbelievable playthrough an April Fools Day so people would think it's an overly elaborate joke. The actual joke is, it's real. (That said, I'm pretty sure most people here already knew it was real.)

It's not all posted yet, but I should be copy/pasting faster than you can read.
Edit: I've now posted everything I've done except for stealing Leftovers form the Snorlax that respawns if you don't catch it and finding a Shiny Sentret on Route 29 because I have to go through that Route just to withdraw my Pokemon that knows Fly. (Why do starting towns, other than the one in B2/W2, never have Pokemon Centers?)

Link to my Pokemon Soul Silver Documintation/Fanfic: https://archiveofourown.org/works/18310052/chapters/43340606
(Sorry for linking to a Fanfiction website, but you can't exactly make posts with over 50,000 words on Smogon. )

The bad news is I don't have the "battle" against Red yet, but I should be able to record it by the end of the week. After that, I have to figure out how to sync Audio and Video because I record them separately. (It's either that or recording the sound of my breathing on the camera.)

Last edited:

CTNC

I was able to record a few complete battles against Red, but I didn't get the showboating I wanted in any of them because Charizard keeps using Flare Blitz instead of Blast Burn. I feel like I need the showboating I planned because the battle against Red should be a, if not the, highlight of the play through and the current highlight is insane.

I pretty much promised a video today at the latest, so it's a good thing the Vs Recorder let me record my current highlight.

Vs Tower Tycoon Palmer (Round 3)

(Sorry about the video quality. I don't have a capture card.)

The Battle Frontier is the only way to get TM 06 is Soul Silver. If there was any other way then I wouldn't have spent a month grinding there and and EV Training after going mad about loosing so much in the tower...

CTNC

First of all, I’d like to frantically beg for forgiveness. Ahem... I’m so sorry this took so long, please don’t kill me! I’m sorry I screwed up enough to make this take over a week!

With that out of the way, let me explain why this took so long. Winning against Red was my secondary goal. The primary goal, destroy Charizard.

The problem was that Charizard’s Flare Blitz’s recoil damage ruins what I’m trying to show off, so I wanted Charizard to use Blast Burn against Meganium instead, but the AI doesn’t like using Hyper Beam moves and would always use Flare Blitz as long as it could OHKO Meganium. Meganium’s EVs were 255 HP/124-127 Def/124-127 SpD which is pretty amazing considering all I did to balance the Defense stats was EV train in Special Defense once HP was maxed out. I had bought a Power Belt with my extra BP and could update the stats by using EV reducing berries, (In Gen 4 stats don’t get updated until you Level Up or force an update with an item that affects EVs.) so I could adjust the EVs slightly. I changed to 255 HP/155 Def/100 SpD and I thought I was fine... then after a week of trying, failing, and rage quitting I realized I had miscalculated the amount of HP Meganium would have after a turn in the Sandstorm. Turns out, it was exactly the amount Flare Blitz could deal with maximum damage. I shifted 20 more EVs from Special Defense to Defense and then it finally happened... after a few more tries... Blast Burn was still not guarantee... Also, when I adjusted EVs I had to mess with the date for Diamond Dust to come back, which made it so I had to wait for 24 Hours and 2 Minutes. (The date has to roll over twice, so I have to set the time to 23:59 Feb 27, 2020 then wait for 00:01 Feb 29, 2020.)

The good news is after enough failed attempts I had a consistent plan. The bad news, taking down Pikachu takes 5 Minutes and Thunderbolt has side effects that can, and will, screw you over. (My plan for dealing with these is pray they don’t happen.) Paralysis means you have to pray harder (Spoiler: praying usually doesn’t work.) and a Critical Hit is either an OHKO from full health or leaves you at something like 6 HP. You’re not healing enough to survive the Thunderbolt after that...

Here's the video.

Here's my plan if you don't want to watch the video or if you just want to read it anyway.

Before I arrived at the peak, I had to make the Diamond Dust Easter Egg happen. It’s supposed to do nothing, but because it’s the weather instead of the blizzard that’s supposed to be always happening, Hail doesn’t happen during the challenge. (I know it’s ironic that I’m going out of my way to avoid a passive health drain.) Honestly, discovering this was just luck, but if I discover something I can use to my advantage, I will abuse it.

Against Pikachu I lead with Meganium and use Leech Seed, Grass Whistle until it works, then Synthesis before switching to Forretress. (If too much damage is taken for one Synthesis, Rage Quit. Also, there’s not much gained from trying for Grass Whistle instead of just using Synthesis to heal off two Iron Tails, but it’s deal with luck sooner so you’ll have to deal will less luck later.) If Pikachu’s sleep lasts one turn, it will use Iron Tail when I switch to Forretress, but it can be fully healed by Leech Seed and Leftovers or come within about 3 HP of a full heal. If Iron Tail lowers Defense, Rage Quit. Volt Tackle will deal more than Thunderbolt and the recoil means I have too little time to set up. If sleep lasts two turns, it didn’t save Forretress from any hits, but I didn’t really need to. If sleep lasts three or more turns, each of those turns is a free chance for Entry Hazards. While Pikachu is awake, alternating between Entry Hazards and Protect gives you enough healing for one layer of Toxic Spikes, three layers of Spikes, and Stealth Rock. (I could go for two layers of Toxic Spikes, but you’ll see why I don’t.) After Forretress’s job is done I switch to Tyranitar. I then use Protect to almost fully heal the damage Thunderbolt dealt during the switch, and that’s usually when Pikachu faints. If Pikachu endures, I don’t have anything better to do than try for Protect again and Iron Tail only deals about 100 Damage, so I don’t care.

Blastoise will be sent in next because I have Tyranitar out and Blastoise knows Focus Blast. I switch to Lunatone to take it because I actually want it to take damage. If Focus Blast misses, I keep Lunatone in to take a Flash Cannon. After that, or if Focus Blast hits, I switch back to Tyranitar incase Blastoise tries to KO with Hydro Cannon. (Although the AI usually goes for moves that can KO, it will sometimes not try to KO with a Hyper Beam move.) If Hydro Cannon is used, I waste a turn then use Protect Blastoise uses its final move before fainting. If Flash Cannon is used, I use Protect twice. After the first Protect, Focus Blast can’t KO Tyranitar, (I know this because I found out that the AI will not use a Hyper Beam move if another move can KO the opponent.) so I have to keep Tyranitar because Lunatone will get KOed by Hydro Cannon if it gets used.

The third Pokemon will be Lapras. I switch to Lunatone while Lapras uses Brine, which will deal enough damage after Blastoise’s attack to lower Lunatone’s HP below half. (Brine is a Power 65 move that deals double damage if the target is below half health. Of all the Water moves to give Red’s Lapras, Brine? Really?) I use Gravity and let Lunatone get KOed by the second Brine. I sent in Meganium to lure make Red send in Charizard next and use Protect to block Blizzard. After that, Lapras faints.

Now Charizard is sent in. I use Leech Seed then Rage Quit if Flare Blitz is used. When Blast Burn was used, Meganium survived by eating an Occa Berry to cancel out the Fire weakness, but a power 150 STAB boosted by the ability Blaze still ****ing hurt. By ****ing hurt, I mean 44 HP left hurt. Everything I did to Charizard hurt more though.

Charizard took 8/16 HP from Stealth Rock, 4/16 from Spikes because of Gravity, 2/16 from Toxic Spikes’s Poison, 2/16 because Meganium endured to use Leech Seed, and 1/16 form Tyranitar’s Sand Stream. That adds up to 17/16 in One Turn! That sounds like slight overkill, but because the damage is rounded down, the Sandstorm's apparent overkill was needed.

Against Venusuar and Snorlax I don’t really have a plan, but Forretress walls them, so I don’t need one. I switch to Ninetales after Frenzy Plant for Will-o-Wisp, but other than that, it’s have Forretress out heal Venusaur’s Grass and Poison attacks. (The latter is easier.) Snorlax is also walled by Tyranitar, who knows Toxic for when a Full Restore is used and Rest if he somehow takes enough damage from Blizzard to need it.

In the try where Charizard finally used Blast Burn, at one point against Snorlax I had a feeling that I should waste a turn before using Roar to force Venusaur back in, but I ignored it. Venusaur took entry hazard damage then fainted to Sandstorm and his burn then Snorlax returns and endured the entry hazards with an HP bar that looked empty then Red used a Full Restore.

News about future playthroughs:

I have lots of time before I beat my first trainer in Black, so I'm going to learn how to make better videos before then. That said, the photage quality will remain as bad as it is now because I don't have a capture card. The good news is I jailbroke my 3DS, so I can have good quality for Y, Ultra Moon, and Omega Ruby if that game is possible. (Yes, I'm playing every game I can this way.) I'm also going to buy a Switch Capture card and hope Shield is possible without attacking. (It probably will be.)

Why Pokemon Black: Status Moves Only Sucks

If you fully commit to “No Items in Battle” then you are going to hate life. If you want to do this challenge and value your sanity, use Potions against N! You do not want to do what I'm doing.

To start you need a +Def Nature Snivy with an IV of 30 or 31 in Defense, (1/100 or 1% Chance. If you reset on Lax, which is +Def -SpD, then it’s a 1/133.33... or 0.75% chance.) Preferably with 20 or 21 HP. (20 is an HP IV of 10+ and 21 is 30+) Wait, it gets stupider. You have to then catch some Level 4 Pokemon to take hits because you’re not stalling out 35 PP of Tackle and 5 Struggles with just Snivy and you want them to have 9 Defense, so they can take less damage from N’s Purloin’s Scratch after a Level Up. To get experience you need to find a Level 2 Pokemon with a -Atk Nature and spam Leer. (Finding a Level 2 -Atk Nature Pokemon is an 8/125 chance, which is about 1/15.5 or 6.4%) If it has a -Atk Nature then 15 out of 16 attacks will deal 1 Damage to Snivy, and 1 out of 16 will deal 3. (From now on, I will call the 1/16 chance a “Max Damage Hit” or “Max Hit” for short.) On top of that, Critical Hits have a 1 in 16 chance of happening and deal 4 Damage! (Max Crits deal 6. I’d say the game was being cruel, but honestly, you’re doing this to yourself.) To the rest of your team, Tackle will deal 3 Damage or 4 from a Max Hit, so they’re 6HKOed if there’s no Critical Hits. That said, Critical Hits do 7 Damage and Max Crits deal 9, so expect a few of them to get 5HKOed or even 4HKOed. You have to endure 35 Turns of Tackle then 5 of Struggle for 40 Total, and not counting Max Hits or Critical Hits, you have 48 to 50 Turns depending on Snivy’s HP. Counting Max Hits and Crits, you lose 2 turns when Snivy takes a Max Hit, 3 from a Critical Hit, and 1 or 2 when someone else takes a Critical Hit and you can only lose 8 to 10 turns to luck before you lose. Also, Snivy only gets 12 Exp per Patrat and 13 per Lillipup at Level 5 and needs 44 for Level 6...

Long Story Short, No Potions and No Attacks means you’re playing Pokemon Black Kaizo, complete with traps that can kill you when you think you’ve already won. Honestly, I'm mostly doing it this way because I want to see how long it takes.

CTNC

It's the day we've all been waiting for! No, not me updating this thread. I'm not egotistical enough to think that. The Isle of Armour came out today.

Pokemon Black Update: I spent 17 Hours to beat N (Acording to in game time. It was probobly over 20.) then I felt like I had to make a montage of every Pokemon encountered, which was over 800. Bad idea when you're new to video making. Needless to say, that intimidated me enough to not do much. The good news is Pokemon Shield eventually gave me an alternative option, do Pokemon Shield first! (I'll get to that in a bit) Anyway, needing to delete photage for that made me I realize I only had to show beating the first Patrat and N. After that, I could show major "battles," like the first trainer that had two Pokemon! 20 Hours later I beat her. Anyway, now my main roadblock is remembering to record at night because I don't have a DS capture card and recording works best in complete darkness. It's also hard to remember to play when you don't play, even when the recording setup is in the middle of my room... Anyway, after nearly 40 Hours, I was so excited to get to the daycare... only to find out you need to get the first badge before you can go to Route 3... Oh, and I'm pretty sure I need Leech Seed for the first badge because of Work Up boosting Special Attack, which I can't lower.

Pokemon Shield Update: I bought a capture card for Pokemon Shield! I haven't written all the commentary for everything yet, (I'm at raiding a tower because Leon was late for supper right now.) so I'm uploding one "battle" a day. (The first episode is more than one though.) I'd rather not spam with new posts every day, so even though I'm uploading every major battles, (other than most rival "battles") I'll only be posting in this thread when a harder "battle" is uploaded.

By the way, in later videos you'll need to turn on captions for commentary. If you turn it on for this video for the "battle" against Hop. I alrady talked about everything in that part in this thread.

Last edited:

CTNC

The rival "battles" I'm going to show are the ones at the Pokemon League and the first one with Bede. He starts with Solosis and guess what ability he has.
Insomnia! It's awesome that Worry Seed lets me change it from Magic Guard. :D

For some reason, I thought Supersonic and Snow Warning would work against Gothita, so I used Supersonic instead of Poison Powder and used Leer so the confusion damage would do more. Turns out, her ability is Competitive...

The commentary mostly explains moves and abilities you already know about, but it also what I was thinking during the pauses I was thinking

CTNC

The Grass Gym sucked for me. It took five tries, but it could have been one if I'd been smarter...

I could take out Gossifleur with Snover's Snow Warning, but not with enough HP for Eldegoss, but that's not a problem when you have Toxic Spikes. It's not like anything uses Rapid Spin! This Gym had to be the exception to the rule... The way the game rounds 1/16 makes it so I can't switch to Snover, back to Roselia, and use Toxic Spikes before Gossifleur faints. I

This Gym could have been easy if I hadn't messed up with team building. I remember seeing a Trubbish and thinking that don't need Poison Gas when I have Poison Powder and Poison Gas has low accuracy. (Or at least it did in older games. I didn't know it's upto 90 Accuracy now.) If Roselia had Poison Point instead of Natural Cure, that would let me poison Gossifleur when he used Rapid Spin and use Toxic Spikes after he attacks.

One thing that's not my fault is Grass Whistle was removed from the game. (It's a clone of Sing, so don't blame them for removing it.) Snover learned it by level up, but now she learns Leafage instead. I was looking forward to Grass Whistle and Snow Warning in the early game before the games came out, but it was too good to be true.

I love your stories ! I've read a couple of absurd Pokémon playthrough but yours definitely take the cake.
For Emerald, you can probably save a few PP by attempting to flee against a faster wild Pokémon. While the odds of escaping become greater after several attempts, they eventually roll back to zero at some point so theoretically you can stall for any amount of turns with some luck.
There are still three problems.
1) It doesn't work against trainers (so you're still stuck against the rival).
2) You get your starter at level 5, and every wild Pokémon is level 4 at most, meaning they will be slower on average. (also Treecko has 70 base speed, outspeeding everything bar some level 4 Wingull, and even then, it depends on IV/nature)
3) It doesn't solve the major problem of Pokémon Emerald : movepools. The first pokémon to learn something useful is Shroomish (Leech Seed at level 10, Poison Powder at level 28), and the next is like Oddish... Not even Dustox gets anything of value (unless you somehow get to level 38 for Toxic).

CTNC

I love your stories ! I've read a couple of absurd Pokémon playthrough but yours definitely take the cake.
For Emerald, you can probably save a few PP by attempting to flee against a faster wild Pokémon. While the odds of escaping become greater after several attempts, they eventually roll back to zero at some point so theoretically you can stall for any amount of turns with some luck.
There are still three problems.
1) It doesn't work against trainers (so you're still stuck against the rival).
2) You get your starter at level 5, and every wild Pokémon is level 4 at most, meaning they will be slower on average. (also Treecko has 70 base speed, outspeeding everything bar some level 4 Wingull, and even then, it depends on IV/nature)
3) It doesn't solve the major problem of Pokémon Emerald : movepools. The first pokémon to learn something useful is Shroomish (Leech Seed at level 10, Poison Powder at level 28), and the next is like Oddish... Not even Dustox gets anything of value (unless you somehow get to level 38 for Toxic).
Thanks! Some credit has to go to that one guy from Gamechamp's comments for the challenge though. I wish I could find that comment again so I could give them credit. As for the writing, I'd like to thank whoever in Gamefreak thought it was good idea to let a 10 year old take on the Pokemon Mafia. I just had to replace "10 year old" with "pacifist" and imagine how that could work. Turns out, it was by acting like a psychopath.

Pokemon Emerald is purely hypothetical unless I get really, really bored because of pretty much needing to cheat for perfect luck, but I love thinking about new ideas about insane projects. By the way, I'm assuming every Tackles miss through the most extreme RNG manipulation ever considered.

Your idea of failing to run, is brilliant! The first problem still means that if this works, it's "possible" to train after running out of Potions, all the way upto *checks level up moves* Level 19 for Sand Attack! (It's Leech Seed Snivy all over again...) That move even lets him rely on luck less! Hang on, I need to think about the irony for a moment... Okay, let's see if possible Growl makes wild Pokemon weak enough to deal 1 Damage. Level 2 Wurmple with an attack reducing nature and 0 IVs has 5 Attack. Set that to -6 and set the starter. Mudkip knows Growl too and has higher Defense, so let's try him first.

-6 Lvl 2 0- Atk Wurmple Struggle vs. Lvl 7 0 HP / 0+ Def Mudkip: 2-3 (7.6 - 11.5%) -- possible 9HKO
Possible damage amounts: (2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 3)

(Link to Damage Calculator used)

Weird, it'd work in Gen 5... He'd take two damage for every one taken and it's 26 HP vs 13 HP. Wait, I went with Level 7 because of Torchic learning Focus Energy. We still have more Potions, so we can train more. With just one more Level that's Level 8, which means... Wait, there's the second problem, he's faster so he can't fail to run. Let's try Torchic again for Focus Energy's extra PP. He can hit 27 HP at Level 8. Which means at the 2 to 1 damage ratio, we live.

POKEMON EMERALD IS THEORETICALLY POSSIBLE!

As for the third problem, I don't care.

If I make it to Level 19 for Sand Attack after going through a form of torture that makes Pokemon Black feel like the blink of an eye, I won't care that I have to make it to Shroomish for a usable move. I'd probably catch a few Wingull and train them to Level 7 for Supersonic then watch every Supersonic miss or do nothing with a mind so broken I can't feel despair over such overwhelming odds screwing me over.

The easiest way to do show this off would be hacking an Emerald ROM to make Tackle's Accuracy to 0 then changing it back after after it's okay of it hits, but I don't like using emulators out of paranoia of finding a shiny Pokemon and not being able to transfer it to my real games. I think I'd do it IF I had a gameshark, IF I was bored enough, and a IF there's code that can make Tackle always miss... Actually, on second thought if I'm already using a gameshark, I'm better off walking through walls to the next town and buying Pokeballs from that Pokemart. No, I'm a madman of honor. I'll stick to the theoretically possible without walking through walls!

I'm making no promises on doing it. If I did, it'd be after every other game and if someone gave me a gameshark and a cheat code to make Tackle miss every time.

Edit: Fixed a typo. If anyone wants/expects an update. No one has offered to give me a gameshark yet. Hopefully, no one ever will. :P

Last edited:

CTNC

The Water Gym went flawlessly. It's a perfect example of what happens when everything goes according to the plan of Toxic Spikes and Leech Seed. It's even easier when you breed for egg moves so half your team knows Leech Seed. (Note for anyone that wants to try this challenge: You don't have to breed. I just did it to make some Pokemon I like usable.) It's in a hide tag because it's not one of the harder ones.

The Fire Gym sucked because my entire team was weak to Fire, even Wooloo because of Fluffy. (Maybe three Grass types wasn't the best idea...) It was made even worse by making me think I missed a Shiny Pokemon. (I thought the first Sizzilpede I saw had a green back because I couldn't tell what color it was because of the glare off its back. When I saw one in the gym that I knew had a brown back...) If you watch just one "battle," I'd pick this one just because I made it way harder than I had to.

CTNC

The Ghost Gym starts easy because Dubwool tanks the first three Pokemon and Toxic Spikes lets her do nothing, so you may want to skip to around 9:00... Or you could just read the summery of the interesting part.

Cursola KOed herself with Curse after the entire team failed to do anything to Dubwool (thanks to her insane defense and Leftovers.) then Gengar KOed Dubwool with Max Ooze. (I had her stay in to use Swagger, but it missed.) Poison immunities with boosted Special Attack kind of devastate my team, so the rest of the "battle" hurt... a lot... I sent in Coalossal for Will-O-Wisp and it worked, but he got trapped by G-Max Terror. Protect let him barely endure another then he got KOed when I tried to use Sandstorm. (I didn't expect it to work, but why not?) Gigantamax ended and I sent in Roselia for Leech Seed. She endured and Leech Seed didn't miss. After that I just needed to endure five turns of something that could single handedly take down my team. I was getting annihilated, but I'd already won!

By the way, if anyone has any questions that would be good for when I need Q&A to fill commentary, please ask. Nicknames can only fill one of those and I'd really rather talk about something related to the playthrough than nicknames. You can ask in a private message if it doesn't feel like enough to bump this thread.

Just wanted to say I've been watching all your SWSH challenge videos and have been really enjoying them!
Sorry I dont have any Q&A questiosn to give, but I like the commentary you are able to give

CTNC

Just wanted to say I've been watching all your SWSH challenge videos and have been really enjoying them!
Sorry I dont have any Q&A questiosn to give, but I like the commentary you are able to give
Thanks! It's kind hard to believe people are watching. (Then again, I couldn't believe people read my fanfiction.) When uploading, Youtube shows me how many subscribers I have and it's like, "Holy crap, I have subscribers!" As for Q&A, it's okay I'm not expecting questions anymore. (But if anyone does have any, please ask. I will answer them) I think I'll talk about when I tried Mystery Dungeon: Explores of Darkness next time. (The loophole was it was about me not attacking. My partnet could beat up whoever he wanted for all I cared.) It felt more like watching the game play than actually playing because everyone except me was attacking.

The Fairy Gym had no one affected by Toxic Spikes until the last Pokemon, so it was annoying. It was also easy, so it didn't feel like it was worth posting when I said I'd only post when I uploaded hard "battles."
You'd think the Ice gym would be hard with three Grass types, but it wasn't. Only two out of six Pokemon were weak to Ice. The first Pokemon was pathetic and loved to use Feather Dance... Yeah, like that'd stop Coalossal's x4 effictive Fire or Rock attacks from KOing you if he attacked.

The Dark Gym wasn't hard, but it's worth posting. The first Pokemon using Sand Attack against a Pokemon that had no moves affected by accuracy was far from the saddest part. I don't expect everyone to watch, but please atleast skip to 11:00 for the glory of Sucker Punch. It's... There are no words. It's truly amazing.

Last edited:
You've mentioned a couple times about your recording your physical set up, but for the older games have you thought about just emulating?

I mean a bit late now thaty ou're 40 hours into your trial against N Fight 1, but...

CTNC

You've mentioned a couple times about your recording your physical set up, but for the older games have you thought about just emulating?

I mean a bit late now that you're 40 hours into your trial against N Fight 1, but...
I know that's the smart idea, but I'm always paranoid about shiny Pokemon. If I find Shiny, which, admittedly, usually doesn't happen in a normal playthrough, I don't think it's possible to trade it from an emulated game to a cartage. This playthrough having maybe around 2000 encounters isn't helping the paranoia any...

Oh, and on a side note, the N fight was only 17 in game hours. The Bianca fight at the end of Route 2 where she has two Pokemon was what brought the time upto 40. The first Gym has Work Up to boost both attack and the unlowerable special attack and tons of PP in attacks, so I'm pretty sure I'll need Leech Seed. I wouldn't be surprised if that took 100 Hours... Why am I doing this? :P

I'd post for the Dragon Gym even without a good question to awnser to because it's a double battle, there's stupid AI again, and because of something that happened afterward.

I got a Choice Band! I didn't care about that, but the Shiny Rookidee 15 seconds later was pretty awesome. I even managed to catch it in a Heavy Ball.

Man what a happenstance that your reasoning for not doing the emulation bears fruit in the next video huh? Grats on the bird!

For the record you can kind of trade them into real games but you have to jump through some hoops, mostly involving pkhex or flashcarts

CTNC

Man what a happenstance that your reasoning for not doing the emulation bears fruit in the next video huh? Grats on the bird!

For the record you can kind of trade them into real games but you have to jump through some hoops, mostly involving pkhex or flashcarts
I figured there had to be some complicated way to trade from an emulator I couldn't (or wouldn't want to) do, but it's nice to have that confirmed.

And thanks for the congrats. Corviknight is one of my favorite Pokemon, so it's pretty sweet. I don't think I'm getting another any time soon on Black after realizing something. Training on Route 2 sucks!

Pokemon Black Update

The experience formula in Gen 5 is punishing if you want to grind on lower level Pokemon. The best Pokemon on Route 2 is a Level 7 Lillipup, which gives 78 exp... or it would if my Pokemon was also Level 7. Snivy only gets 41 exp at his current Level of 15. (Patrat is close enough with 40 Exp.) Level 7 Pokemon are about a 10% and Level 6 gives 32 exp. I run from everything else. By the way, I need 2000 Exp for Level 19, so that's... wow, that low? About 60 KOs needed. Level 6 Pokemon are less common than Level 7 for some reason, so I'm guessing around 15% for Level 6 or 7.

I found a quicker way. In the first gym, there's a trainer with a Level 10 Patrat and some second Pokemon I don't care about. I didn't beat her because that Patrat has Keen Eye, so Sand Attack is useless and I have to take 70 attacks. (I assumed the second Pokemon was also a Patrat, so I soft rest.) KOing that Patrat gives 109 Exp at Level 15 and if I lose by getting KOed by the second Pokemon, I can challenge her again. I can either find a few hundred Pokemon and KO the ones with good enough Levels, or I can lose to one trainer about 20 times. I think I can still lose to Patrat, but it's the lesser of two evils. Not knowing if I'll beat it actually makes it interesting. It only took me 3 Hours to figure this out after beating Bianca at 37 Hours and I soft reset if KOed so... Is there a chance I get the first badge before an in game time 50 Hours? 0_o

Even if I don't get under 50 hours, I think under 50 for the first badge is possible, maybe even under 45 if you turn battle animations off. I grinded a little more than needed against N because I miscalculated how much HP I'd need. That could of saved an hour of two, and I could have saved a lot more time by focusing on training my two Purloin to Level 10 for Sand Attack instead of Snivy. Then I spent 3 Hours on wild Pokemon instead of losing to a trainer.

Pokemon Shield

I questioned myself a few times rewatching the Pokemon League match against Marnie, but I questioned her a lot more. She must have learned how to use moves from her brother... She uses Sucker Punch too and she used Scary Face when I was already at minumin speed.

The highlight with Hop was doing Shiny Corviknight vs His Corviknight instead of switching to Coalossal for Will-O-Wisp. I felt like I had to do that.

I lost audio for a few "battles" starting with this one against Oleana. I don't know how it happened and I'm sorry about it, but at least the video isn't corrupt.

The three major things with Oleana are Milotic, Salazzle, and Garbodor. Milotic knows Recover, so she's the biggest threat... or she would be without two layers of Toxic Spikes. It's fun watching poison outdamage Recover's healing and it's funny how bad Recover can be when used against me. Salazzle's can poison everyone because of Corrosion, and she can't be poisoned or burned. To add insult in injury, Toxapex forgot Hail for Toxic earlier in the "battle." If the Grass Gym wasn't the worst match up, it's because of Salazzle being so much worse. Garbodor wouldn't have been a big deal, but he's also immune to poison and KOed Coalossal because I didn't see Max Quake coming.

No Bede rematch? You do fight him with the same team in the post game, but he doesn't dynamax there

CTNC

No Bede rematch? You do fight him with the same team in the post game, but he doesn't dynamax there
Either I somehow mixed up the order and Bede should have been today, or Bede's after Oleana. He doesn't have Magic Guard, but everyone on his team had something that makes it interesting.

Either I somehow mixed up the order and Bede should have been today, or Bede's after Oleana. He doesn't have Magic Guard, but everyone on his team had something that makes it interesting.
Double checking...ah, I thought he was between Marnie & Hop but he actually does interrupt before fighting Nessa

CTNC

As promised, Bede.

Edit: Forgot to say this, but there's no sound again. Sorry. :(

You'd think starting with Mawile instead of a Pokemon with Magic Guard would be better, and it probably is, but it doesn't seem so with Roserade's luck. A Critical Hit Iron Head forced me to use Rest before a second layer of Toxic Spikes. I didn't think I was getting the second layer until after Mawile fainted, but Bede used a Full Restore. When I switched back to Roserade, Crunch lowered his defense. He barely had enough HP for Toxic Spikes before Rest, but he was able to heal... then take a pretty strong Iron Head because of lowered defense. He got no bad luck the third time, which was just to use Rest again.

Gardevoir could have been really bad if Bede hadn't used a Full Restore on Mawile. Wish and Calm Mind would be devastating if I only had one layer of Toxic Spikes. She didn't do much though.

Rapidash was immune to poison because of Pastel Veil. That didn't matter much because Leech Seed still worked and he didn't know Megahorn.

Abomasnow was out when Hatterene was sent in, so I used Leech Seed. I didn't expect Max Flare. You'd think I'd switch to Coalossal after that, but no. I sent in Roserade. (I should have chose Rillaboom in hindsight because of Max Mindstorm.) I'm not a complete idiot, I Dynamaxed for Max Guard to block Max Flare. Then I switched to Coalossal to tank the baited third Max Flare. Gigantamax ended, then it was just Sandstorm and Protect to end it.

Last edited:

CTNC

Did you know that if a Pokemon reaches the level needed to evolve against a trainer with multiple Pokemon, but then you lose another of that trainer's Pokemon, then your Pokemon won't evolve? I was pretty sure that it was true, but I don't think I'd ever seen it happen until training in Black.

There's still no audio, but that gets fixed in the middle of the next one.

The first three Pokemon have really good moves, but after that, it's kind of disappointing. Pelipper knew Roost and was immune to Toxic Spikes though.

It’s easy for me to get on a one track mindset. I should have switched to Toxapex for Toxic when Pelipper used Roost, but I kept on using Swagger and trying Leech Seed whenever Tailwind wore off... At least it was more effective than confusion usually is.

The worst part was Seaking because I only had one layer of Toxic Spikes and Seaking knew Aqua Ring, which has an effect like giving yourself Leftovers, and I couldn't use Leech Seed because I was afraid of Megahorn.

I'm not sure if saying, "..." then, "How's the weather?" is a low point in my commentary or good commentary about how long Dynamaxing takes. (It's about 20 seconds, or 40 if both trainers do it.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)