Challenge Pokemon X: Beedrill Solo Run [Complete!]

I’m nearing the end of my Black 2 Bug-type mono run, having reached the Elite Four (final post on that will come once I beat them but I’m fairly confident) and while some of the fights have been extremely difficult, it just hasn’t been different enough from a normal run. I can still switch, and difficult fights can somewhat be cheesed by just throwing several Pokemon at a tough opponent. So to pass more time in quarantine and to give myself a bigger threat, I looked for a way to neuter those advantages. After thinking it over, I decided to go for a solo run, and since I have a soft spot for Bug-types and did some research, I found the perfect Pokemon to do this run with: Beedrill on Pokemon X. Beedrill is one of my favourite Pokemon and since it can’t be obtained before the postgame in Black 2 or at all in Sun, it’ll be a fresh challenge. Weedle can be caught from the beginning of the game, so despite being unable to trade (I only own one 3DS) it’s a doable solo for me. Beedrill got a major upgrade in the Hoenn remakes with the Beedrillite, but even without the Mega Evolution, it’s got some nice upside in this game. Beedrill has 90 attack and 75 speed, which can be worked with. Its defenses are average to bad, with 65/40/80 bulk being kind of middle of the pack. As for moves, Beedrill has access to nice dual STABs in X-Scissor and Poison Jab, coverage options like Aerial Ace, Brick Break, Acrobatics and some Dark-type options, and best of all, it has access to both Swords Dance from close to the beginning of the game and Agility at Level 31, so Beedrill can sweep if it gets the chance to set up. Unfortunately, it also has a long list of drawbacks. As mentioned before, Beedrill’s physical bulk is pathetic. As well, it does not have access to a single move to hit Fire-, Dragon-, or Flying-types for super-effective damage, meaning it’ll either have to set up to attack these Pokemon with strong neutral attacks or target their secondary types. This will raise issues for fights like Malva, who will likely be one of the biggest challenges in the game and is someone I’m already planning strategies for, but I’m pretty excited to try and route this game. I’ve seen Beedrill solos done in Kanto, but to my knowledge one has not been done for X or Y.

The rules are fairly simple and mostly follow up from my previous runs:
  • As soon as I catch a Weedle (which can be caught on Route 2), it is the only Pokemon that can be on my team. If I’m ever forced to send in another Pokemon (which happened once near the beginning unavoidably but I’ll avoid it where possible), it cannot attack. Exceptions are made for HM slaves, but the Exp. Share will not be used so that there is no possible way any of them could be at a high enough level to actually do something.
  • I’ve minimized the usage of items in battle in my Black 2 run and didn’t use any items after Roxie, but this time I’m going to explicitly ban their use.
  • In past runs, I’ve picked the Fire starter to make sure my rival can’t have it. I decided to give myself a bigger challenge this time, and made sure to use Chespin. This gives Serena Jolteon (meh) and Delphox (challenging).
  • I rarely use it anyway, but Pokemon-Amie is banned due to its ability to give me beneficial outcomes via RNG.

The game begins with me picking Chespin and battling Shauna. This is the only Trainer battle I’m required to do with a Pokemon that isn’t Weedle or its evolution, but it’s inconsequential. Afterwards, I head up to Route 2 and sit through the capture tutorial. I originally thought Weedle could only be caught in Santalune Forest, but it turns out that in X only, I can encounter Weedle at an 11% rate. I specifically want a male one for Malva-related reasons later down the road, and luckily it’s the very first wild encounter after the capture tutorial and it’s even at Level 3, so I catch my Weedle that will be my life partner for the entirety of the run and name it Pikachu. If you’ve ever seen the Pokemon Rusty YouTube series, you’ll know exactly what I mean.

The Beginning (aka Instant Regret)

Now here’s where the game gets absolutely stupid. See, Weedle only knows two moves: Poison Sting and String Shot. String Shot is useless, and while Poison Sting has a 30% chance to poison the opponent, it also only has 15 base power, so at first it usually took me about seven Poison Stings with the Poison status effect activating on the first or second try to actually take something out. I absolutely have to be at Level 7 and evolve into Kakuna before I even have a chance against the first Trainer in the game, Youngster Austin and his Level 5 Zigzagoon. I tried this fight with a Level 6 Weedle, and it’s just not possible to defeat him without evolving, as you just die too quickly. And Weedle is a terrible, terrible Pokemon to use for this challenge. To start with, I have to always, always run from Pidgey, since they only know Tackle and just knock me out right away. Other Weedle need to be avoided too, since they give crap experience and they’re just a waste of my time to fight. There’s not even really any strategy to this grinding, either. All I can do is use Poison Sting, hope it gets the status effect on the first try, and hope the wild Pokemon move roulette selects its stat-lowering move enough times that it doesn’t knock me out before I can win. Even if I did succeed, Weedle was almost always on low health so I had to run back to Aquacorde Town’s healer to try again, and as I only have one Potion to start the game and can’t earn money until I can defeat that one Trainer, I can’t use items to speed this up. I can buy Potions in Aquacorde Town, but it would be a waste of money to use them now. It’s pure RNG and not enjoyable at all. There is no honour in losing to a Level 3 Scatterbug. To give you an idea of how long this took, I caught my Weedle at somewhere between 15-20 minutes of in-game time, and took down Youngster Austin with my Kakuna at 1:26. I spent over an hour just spamming Poison Sting until I actually won a battle, running back to Aquacorde Town to heal, and repeating the process until I evolved. After evolving into Kakuna, I finally took on the Youngster Austin battle, and it’s not that intuitive either. I just used Poison Sting until I got the status effect and then used Harden to boost my Defense while hoping Zigzagoon went for Growl enough times to not take me out. Anyway, that’s my rant over.

Fortunately, the game gets a little easier in Santalune Forest. Shauna gives me free heals after every battle, the Trainers in the forest are less threatening to my Kakuna, and I can knock out things quicker with my level advantage, particularly Pansage, which gives nice experience and goes down in two Poison Stings. The Lass with the Pikachu is particularly useful since I gain a lot of experience from defeating her. I made it out of here at Level 9. Route 3 is also fairly easy, and after defeating the Preschooler with the Pichu, I finally get my Beedrill, which learns Fury Attack. While it’s an RNG-dependent attack due to its multi-strike nature, it’s worlds better than Poison Sting. None of the Trainers on this route pose any threat, so I make it to Santalune City without trouble. I head through to Route 22 to do a little extra training to be ready for the Gym, and for the first and only time in the run, I am going to catch a Pokemon that isn’t Beedrill. My HM coverage can be mostly sorted with the gift Lapras, but I need a Pokemon that can use Cut and Fly, and I want to get it as soon as possible. Luckily, there’s an option readily available: Farfetch’d. It’s a 10% chance to appear on Route 22, but I can also use the 20% odds of catching a Bunnelby and trade it to an NPC in Santalune for a Farfetch’d, which was the route I took. Farfetch'd will be boxed until I get to Parfum Palace anyway.

Viola

This fight is honestly really unintuitive. Viola’s Pokemon is Surskit, which can’t really do anything to Beedrill, so I first use a turn to set up Focus Energy, which in Generation VI gives every move afterwards as long as Beedrill is in battle a 50% chance to be a critical hit. Afterwards, all I do is just spam Fury Attack and hope to get enough critical hits and that Fury Attack has enough high rolls to take out both her Surskit and Vivillon. I beat it on the first try, but I misclicked Focus Energy a second time when the Vivillon came out, which wastes a turn, and didn’t get great luck with the Fury Attack rolls. It came down to the wire with Beedrill finishing with 4 HP, but I got the Bug Badge. I really don’t like the RNG of this strategy, but luckily it’s the last major fight where it’ll be that random.

Thankfully, once I progress through Route 4, the battles up until around Grant’s Gym are about to become really consistent and easy for a couple reasons. First, Beedrill reached Level 16 and learned Twineedle, a two-hit STAB move that effectively has 50 base power and can poison. I also got the Poison Barb, which will come in handy later, and TM27 (Return) from Sina and Dexio, a strong Normal-type attack. Finally, I reached Lumiose City and was able to pick up the most important TM of the run: Swords Dance. Getting it this early in the game is incredible and will make a lot of fights for the next little bit of the game very easy. Sycamore is next, but he’s a complete joke. He leads with his Bulbasaur, which can’t do anything to Beedrill. I set up two Swords Dances while taking a missed Leech Seed and a 4x resisted Vine Whip in return, then swept through his entire team with Twineedle and Return one-shotting everything. Route 5 is more of the same, as there’s no real strategy other than “click Twineedle”. Once I got to Camphrier Town, I decided to call it quits for this segment of the run. The next segment hopefully should be me playing up to Korrina. Until next time!

Beedrill:
Level 18
  • Twineedle
  • Poison Sting
  • Return
  • Swords Dance
In-game time to get to Camphrier Town: 3:09 (of which the first Trainer in the game was not defeated until 1:26)

Out of curiosity, I wanted to know when the Poison Jab and X-Scissor TMs were made available, and it's actually at a good time. Poison Jab is available in the mart in the city with the Fighting-Gym, and X-Scissor is in Azure Bay.

It seems great for your Beedrill to get its dual STAB at that point. Sadly, coverage in Brick Break is not obtainable untill much later, (Terminus Cave to be exact) but this run is something that could work out.

Out of curiosity, I wanted to know when the Poison Jab and X-Scissor TMs were made available, and it's actually at a good time. Poison Jab is available in the mart in the city with the Fighting-Gym, and X-Scissor is in Azure Bay.

It seems great for your Beedrill to get its dual STAB at that point. Sadly, coverage in Brick Break is not obtainable untill much later, (Terminus Cave to be exact) but this run is something that could work out.
Yeah, Beedrill actually has a decent run of good Bug STAB - it gets Twineedle early, Pin Missile shortly after Grant, and X-Scissor before the fourth Gym and Poison Jab before the third Gym. Grant will be an issue though because the only SE move I have is Rock Smash. My biggest concern is still the Malva fight since I need to find a way to set up, but I think it’s doable.

Out of curiosity, what gender is your beedrill? I was checking out Malva to try to offer advice (I don't have anything super clever, unfortunately) and I noticed her lead (pyroar) has rivalry.

Out of curiosity, what gender is your beedrill? I was checking out Malva to try to offer advice (I don't have anything super clever, unfortunately) and I noticed her lead (pyroar) has rivalry.
Yup, it’s male and I made sure to catch a male Weedle for that exact reason. It turns out Lysandre’s Pyroar doesn’t actually have Rivalry so there’s no trade-off there either. So far, the best plan I’ve come up with is to try and use an Occa Berry so that I can possibly get up a Swords Dance and an Agility and sweep, but actually getting my hands on that Berry is a grind of its own.

The next stretch of the game is pretty normal. Beedrill soloing everything at the start of the game has given it a solid level advantage over opposing Trainers that lasts until Glittering Cave or so, and Twineedle and Return are very solid attacking options. The Parfum Palace sidequest to get the Poke Flute is pretty boring, though I do make sure to grab the HM for Cut and a hidden Rare Candy in the garden. There are a few Trainers on Routes 6 and 7, but they’re easy and the ones on Route 7 are all optional and not really worth fighting. Route 8 is more of the same. The one Rising Star with the Axew can be really problematic since it knows Dragon Rage, but thankfully she’s easy to avoid. Once I get to Ambrette Town, I pick up the TM for Rock Smash and the Old Rod. Rock Smash is the only move Beedrill can learn at this point that is super-effective against Rock-types, so it’s necessary for Grant, while the Old Rod allows me to get an unlimited supply of Heart Scales for re-teaching moves if need be simply by using Thief on wild Luvdisc, which have a 100% chance of being fished up with the Old Rod.

However, things are about to get more difficult for Beedrill here. Twineedle, which was the main move used for the early part of the game, still only has 50 effective base power and can no longer OHKO things that aren’t weak to it or low-levelled, forcing Beedrill to either set up with Swords Dance or rely on neutrally effective unSTABbed Return to deal damage. Rock Smash is my Rock-type coverage, but it’s pathetically weak with 40 base power and the game decided to flip me off by not giving a Defense drop (50% chance) the first six times I used it. Welcome back, RNG! In addition, the level gap between Beedrill and its opposition is quickly narrowing, and starting with Grant’s Gym trainers, opposing Trainers are now at the same level as Beedrill, necessitating some extra grinding or fighting more Trainers on routes. I make sure to run away from the Lunatone and Solrock in Glittering Cave, as they’re very bulky and aren’t weak to any of Beedrill’s attacks. Glittering Cave goes off without a hitch, but it’s a sign of what’s to come.

I make it to Cyllage City at Level 22, get my Bike, and head for the Gym. And here’s where the run gives me a reality check via slapping me in the face. I lose to the very first Gym trainer’s Dwebble, and am barely able to get it under half with Rock Smash despite getting the Defense drop, as I simply get demolished by a three-hit Rock Blast. And this trainer is completely unavoidable to solve the Gym puzzle. I’m going to either have to grind some levels or figure out a creative strategy here, because the Trainers have, in order: Dwebble/Relicanth (and I know from experience that said Relicanth likes to spam Yawn, which is a killer in a solo run in a Rock gym), Roggenrola, Solrock/Lunatone, Rhyhorn/Nosepass/Onix, and finally Grant’s Amaura and Tyrunt. Grinding is a bit of an easier solution for now, so I opt to do that. Fortunately, Route 10 to the north is accessible before defeating Grant and has several Psychics that are easy fodder for my Beedrill, plus Return to take out everything else.

After grinding to Level 24, I head for the Gym. I still have to fight the trainers, but luckily I discovered something: the Gym trainers have terrible AI, and the first Rising Star’s Dwebble, for whatever reason, likes to use Feint Attack instead of Rock Blast. I set up two Swords Dances, allowing me to 2HKO with Rock Smash. The Relicanth is an issue because it can use Rock Tomb and instantly take out Beedrill, but I only get Yawned while 2HKOing with Rock Smash. The Roggenrola trainer is easy because he only uses Headbutt while getting 3HKO’d with Rock Smash. I was afraid of the Solrock/Lunatone trainer, but Solrock only uses Fire Spin and Psywave while I set up two Swords Dances. In hindsight I probably only needed one Swords Dance to sweep with Twineedle, but whatever. The last trainer is extremely difficult since his lead Rhyhorn is actually smart enough to use Rock Tomb, but thankfully he doesn’t actually need to be fought. On to Grant!

Grant

This fight took me a few tries to get figured out, and it really showcased how awful of a move Rock Smash actually is. Even with Beedrill at Level 28 and with a 4x type advantage over Grant’s lead Amaura, Rock Smash only did about 90%, which just puts Grant into Hyper Potion range and lets his Amaura paralyze me with Thunder Wave. I tried this battle a few times, and it always uses Thunder Wave first, as Beedrill is faster.. Even if I set up first with Swords Dance to make sure Rock Smash is a OHKO, it can still paralyze me and then hit stupidly hard with a Refrigerate-boosted Take Down, which allows the Tyrunt to pick me off on the next turn. I could grind to Level 29 or 30 to make Rock Smash a OHKO, but even if I’m not paralyzed by the Amaura I need that setup turn to be able to get through Tyrunt, and I don’t want to overlevel if I can avoid it because after Reflection Cave the middlegame opens up considerably with an improved movepool and better matchups, which would be a complete joke at too high of a level. While looking over what options I had available, one stuck out to me: the Cheri Berry. Using it would allow me to set up with Swords Dance, OHKO the Amaura at full speed with Rock Smash, and be at full health and +2 for the Tyrunt. It’s available in Camphrier Town, but you can’t just get one, because that would be too easy. Instead, you have to talk to an NPC who asks that you show him a certain type of Pokemon, and if you have it, you get to pick your choice of Berry, which can include a Cheri Berry. Beedrill is Bug/Poison, so I have a 1/9 chance of getting one. And the NPC only changes his type selection daily, so this could take a while. The other two ways to get a Cheri Berry are from the stall in Coumarine City, which I can’t get to yet, and by using Blizzard, Twister or Air Cutter on red berry trees, none of which Beedrill can learn.

Fortunately, after discussing this with some people on Discord and looking into it further, it turns out that I’m a complete idiot and don’t need the Cheri Berry at all. I had forgotten about a few things: Bug-type moves aren’t resisted by Rock, and Swarm is a thing that exists. After a quick grind to Level 30, Rock Smash OHKO’d the Amaura. To deal with the Tyrunt, I intentionally manipulated my HP to go in with 27/85 HP, triggering Swarm. With the 50% boost from Swarm and the 20% boost from the Silver Powder which I picked up before Connecting Cave, a 3-hit Pin Missile takes down Tyrunt in one hit. I had to reset a couple times because I got a 2-hit Pin Missile and Tyrunt just killed me with Rock Tomb, but on the third try I got through the battle and got the Cliff Badge. With access to Strength using the Charmander I got in Lumiose City, I can clear out a direct path to my berry fields on Route 7 and grab the TM for Aerial Ace, which will come in handy for the next part of the game.

The next part of the game is really easy, so I won’t spend too much time on it. The Team Flare encounters are easy and the first Korrina battle is a complete joke because Beedrill hard-counters Power-Up Punch and can boost up to +6 before OHKOing both her Lucario with Aerial Ace. Even Reflection Cave isn’t too bad. The much-feared Wobbuffets can’t do anything to Beedrill, and they’re easy to set up on and eliminate with Pin Missile. I fight most of the Trainers in here, but I make sure to avoid Battle Girl Hedvig. I couldn’t remember if her Throh knew Rock Tomb, but even then the Hawlucha is a terrible matchup for Beedrill. Luckily, she’s easy to slip past in the cave hallway. Now that I’m at Shalour City, I can finally buy the much-awaited Poison Jab TM, but don’t teach it to Beedrill until later. Before I can take on Korrina, I have to visit the Tower of Mastery and do the first of many rival battles. The rival’s lead Pokemon is a Meowstic that knows Psybeam, which can be problematic, but for whatever reason they just don’t use it. I see a Light Screen and two resisted Disarming Voice attacks while I set up to +6 with Swords Dance, then take out Meowstic with a Pin Missile, Braixen with an Aerial Ace, and Absol with another Pin Missile. Not anywhere near as difficult as I expected. Now for the Gym!

Korrina

You already know where this is going. I’m at Level 36 going into the battle, so a tad overleveled but not ridiculously, and Korrina’s lead Pokemon is a Mienfoo which only knows Fake Out, Power-Up Punch, and Doubleslap. (Seriously, why do Gym Leaders not have full movesets? Grant doesn’t either). Doubleslap is mildly annoying and Power-Up Punch is 4x resisted. Predictably, I set up to +6 and obliterate both Mienfoo and Machoke with one Aerial Ace each. Hawlucha actually outspeeds and hits me with Flying Press, but thanks to the fact that it’s a half-Fighting move works in my favour, as it’s resisted, and it goes down to one more Aerial Ace.

After the quick Mega Ring sidequest, I can head off to Coumarine City. I decided to include up to Ramos in this update because it turns out there is zero effort required to defeat him. I actually lost to one of the Breeders on Route 12 because her Seviper paralyzed me with Glare and the Miltank took out Beedrill with Rollout while I got fully paralyzed, but I just went around her the next time. The X-Scissor TM can be obtained in Azure Bay, but I don’t grab it until later because it isn’t necessary to beat the Coumarine Gym and I want to have Fly to make returning easier after grabbing it. The obstacle to me entering the Gym is my second battle with the rival. Meowstic’s AI is substantially improved, and I get a Fake Out and a Psybeam in return while boosting up with Swords Dance and taking it out with a single Pin Missile. Braixen goes down to a single Poison Jab. The Absol almost takes me out with a crit Quick Attack, but Beedrill somehow tanks the hit with 1 HP and OHKOs back with Pin Missile. With that out of the way, I can finally enter the Gym. It did take me two attempts to get to the stop because the final mandatory Trainer’s Exeggutor took me out, but on the second attempt I got through.

Ramos

Easiest Gym fight in the game. I was concerned about his lead Jumpluff because it has STAB Acrobatics, but as it turns out, Poison Jab one-shots his entire team and I outspeed all of them. I was at Level 40 for this battle going in, but even if I wasn’t overleveled it wouldn’t have made a difference. The Weepinbell might have taken two Poison Jabs to defeat, but that doesn’t matter since it can’t do anything to Beedrill. With this Badge, I can finally backtrack to Azure Bay and grab the X-Scissor TM.

In the next update, I’ll play through even more Gyms, and start really tangling with Team Flare.

Beedrill, Level 41
  • Agility
  • Swords Dance
  • X-Scissor
  • Poison Jab

In-game time after defeating Ramos: 7:40 (Grant defeated around 6:10 or so)

Next up is Route 13 and the Kalos Power Plant, and here’s where I really start to encounter my new worst enemy: Golbat. It’s fast, resists both of Beedrill’s STABs, and starting with Level 33, it knows Acrobatics, which is an instant kill. And the very first Team Flare grunt has a Level 33, which takes me out right away. For this section, I brought back an old weapon, Return. It didn’t actually have the firepower to take out the Golbat in one hit before it could use Acrobatics, but fortunately the Silk Scarf can be found in Coumarine City, and the 20% power boost to Return is all I need. From here, it was a mix of using Return and X-Scissor as needed along with Poison Jab (I looked up which Trainers used Mightyena/Liepard beforehand) to take down Team Flare’s siege on the power plant. With that taken care of, I can finally access the rest of Lumiose City and the fifth gym.

Clemont

While planning out this challenge, I had initially overlooked that Clemont has a Magneton, and Steel-types are about the worst thing Beedrill can face, as they resist one STAB and are immune to the other. I still can’t access Brick Break until after defeating Team Flare for the final time, so I’m forced to bring out Rock Smash again and teach it to Beedrill. I did make sure to pick up the Black Belt in Reflection Cave, so it’ll at least get a 20% power boost. I made it to Clemont at Level 45, which isn’t enough to win this battle. His lead Emolga knows Aerial Ace, and it will always use it. In addition, Poison Jab can’t OHKO Emolga, meaning that I will always be taking a little over half damage. In addition, Magneton has Sturdy, so setting up isn’t an option because even with Swords Dance to ensure I OHKO the Emolga, Magneton will survive a +2 Rock Smash and finish me off with a Thunderbolt, and if it doesn’t the Heliolisk will with Quick Attack. So the only real option is to grind. I didn’t want to have to do it because the final three gyms don’t appear to be super difficult for Beedrill and I’m already approaching Level 50, but there’s no better plan.

Luckily, there’s actually a really neat way to grind in Lumiose City. By going into the alleys, trainers will appear with Pokemon at Level 30 or 34. With the exception of the Punk Guy with the Haunter, all of them are easy to defeat with Beedrill, and the trainers respawn infinitely. After battling about ten of them, I make it to Level 48. At Level 48, Poison Jab can sometimes OHKO the Emolga with a high damage roll, though on my successful run it got a low damage roll and poison, effectively making it an OHKO anyway, although I took an Aerial Ace for about 60% damage in the process. Rock Smash is a 2HKO on Magneton at Level 48, but if Beedrill has already been hit with Aerial Ace, a Thunderbolt from Magneton will leave Beedrill in a range where Clemont’s Heliolisk can pick it off with Quick Attack. Fortunately, Clemont, for all his inventing prowess, isn’t super bright and likes to use Electric Terrain, allowing me to safely finish it off. As long as I haven’t taken both an Aerial Ace and a Thunderbolt, Heliolisk won’t use Quick Attack and it’s an easy OHKO with Poison Jab. The fifth badge is mine!

With that out of the way, I can proceed to Laverre City. I’m at a pretty high level, so I mostly avoid the Trainers to save time where possible. The rival battle on Route 14 is about the same as usual. Meowstic knows Psychic now, which is an issue, but it’s otherwise a usual SD + sweep battle (the setup isn’t necessary for the Absol or Meowstic, but it’s necessary to get rid of the Delphox in one shot). Absol can be obnoxious with Quick Attack to finish off Beedrill after a Psychic, but it doesn’t take out Beedrill and I win. The one Trainer that I absolutely make sure to avoid is the Hex Maniac with the Litwick and the Haunter, which I actually lost to. Litwick can burn Beedrill and her Pokemon are a nightmare to deal with, so I just go around her. I roll up to Laverre City with Beedrill at Level 50.

Valerie

Valerie, the Fairy-type leader, has one concerning Pokemon: Mawile. It resists basically everything I can throw at it. The best option I have is Acrobatics, which has its power boost from not holding an item wiped out by the resistance for a stunning 55 base power. Mawile can be annoying as well because it knows Iron Defense, negating my set-up attempts. This battle only took me one try going in at Level 50, as the Gym trainers can be easily avoided. I used Swords Dance while Mawile used an Iron Defense. I went for another Swords Dance and Mawile used Crunch, getting the defense drop. Acrobatics even at +4 with Mawile at +2 is only a 2HKO, so I took another Crunch from Mawile and was at about one-third health when it fainted. Mr. Mime goes down to a single Poison Jab, and while Sylveon gave me a scare with Quick Attack (a critical hit Quick Attack or getting a second defense drop from Crunch would have ended the battle), Beedrill survived and OHKO’d back with a +4 Poison Jab. Six badges down, two to go!

After another uninteresting tangle with Team Flare in the Poke Ball Factory, I head to Route 15. I’m at Level 52, and the trainers here can be easily avoided, so it’s no trouble at all. The same cannot be said for Frost Cavern, north of Dendemille Town - it’s brutal. Half the Trainers there have a bulky Rock-type on their team, and the first Ace Trainer with the Doublade is just a no-go. I think she could probably be defeated with a 2HKO Thief and the Black Glasses, but I can’t actually obtain those until reaching Lysandre Labs. Luckily, before encountering Team Flare, there is only a single mandatory Trainer in the entire cave, who only has Raichu/Golduck/Marowak, and I think he’s avoidable as well by going behind him. While I am trying to limit unnecessary overleveling before I have to at the end of the game, I’m also trying to limit the chances that I get wiped out, as it takes a pretty fair bit of time to get back to Frost Cavern if I lose a battle. The Team Flare grunt is annoying because Golbat can use Acrobatics, which is an insta-kill, but luckily on my second try its terrible AI used Poison Fang and I was able to sweep after a Swords Dance. Mable gives me a scare with Fire Fang, but Houndoom is no trouble. Route 17 is a slog but has no trainers that I can battle, and I get to Anistar City at Level 53. First up is the rival, and they’ve added a Jolteon to their team. The AI is still hit-or-miss here, as the lead Meowstic inexplicably used Disarming Voice, giving me the turn I needed to set up and sweep everything.

Olympia

I actually had some trouble dealing with Olympia. The problem is her lead Sigilyph. It knows Psychic and Air Slash, both problematic moves, but Sigilyph also knows Reflect, neutralizing my set-up attempts, and isn’t weak to X-Scissor. Even at +4 and with Reflect up, Poison Jab wasn’t a OHKO at Level 54. And then I realized that my strategy was completely wrong. By using the Silver Powder and X-Scissor at only +2 with a Reflect up, Beedrill could put Sigilyph into healing range at Level 55 while being at about one-third health after a Psychic. This actually worked in my favour, because it wastes a turn of Reflect just in case something goes wrong. After one more X-Scissor to neutralize the healing turn and one more to finish it off, Sigilyph went down. Even with Reflect still being up for the Slowbro, both the Slowbro and Meowstic went down to one X-Scissor each and I got the win.

In the next section, I’ll save the world from Team Flare’s wrath with nothing but my Beedrill and do the last Gym, then finish the game in the update after that. Honestly, for this point in the game, I'm not that overlevelled - Lysandre's Gyarados, which I have to fight immediately before entering Lysandre Labs proper, is a Level 49. And he's going to be a huge problem, but that's a matter for another update.

After Anistar City:

Beedrill, Level 56
  • Agility
  • Swords Dance
  • X-Scissor
  • Poison Jab
In-game time: 11:40

Last edited:
An update on this since it seems like I dropped the run: I am still planning to finish this run! I started a summer class during the pandemic and got busy, but I am planning to try and pick this back up. I'm currently trying to craft a way past Lysandre's first battle.

Stopping Team Flare

This next stretch of the game is, to put it mildly, hellish. Beedrill can’t get as much experience now because it comfortably outlevels almost everything, but the world needs to be saved. First up is Lysandre’s first match in Lysandre Labs, and this one took a while to get past. He always leads with a Mienfoo, which can be quickly dispatched with one Acrobatics - it can’t be set up on due to having Acrobatics of its own, which Beedrill can just survive but with low HP - but next up Lysandre will always send out his Pyroar, and this is where the battle goes bad. Because my Beedrill is male and his male Lysandre has Rivalry, at Level 56, one Fire Blast will always be a OHKO (I reset after one of the Fire Blasts critted just to check, and it doesn’t make a difference). Because I need Acrobatics to be at full power to deal with Mienfoo, I can’t use an item to get past this, and because Pyroar outspeeds me, trying to use Swords Dance on Mienfoo isn’t an option. The only way past this is to grind. At Level 60, Beedrill can outspeed Pyroar, set up a Swords Dance, and juuuuuuust survive a Fire Blast before OHKOing back with STAB Poison Jab. Murkrow is a joke and gets outsped and OHKO’d by +2 Poison Jab, but then Lysandre sends out his Gyarados. This is a huge issue because Intimidate means I don’t have the power to take Gyarados out in one shot, and Beedrill only had 11 HP by this point. Fortunately, I get both a 30% chance of getting the status with Poison Jab and a 10% Aqua Tail miss before poison finishes off Lysandre’s ace. Luckier than I would’ve liked, but the other option was to grind even more or using my four Rare Candies to make +1 Poison Jab on Gyarados a reliable OHKO, and I want to save those for the late game since I’ll almost certainly need to be around level 85 for the Elite Four, so I’ll take it.

With that dealt with, I can explore around the complex. None of the grunts in there pose a threat, and while the Team Flare Scientists Celosia and Bryony are a huge problem due to having Drapion and Bisharp, respectively, they’re actually optional to fight so I can simply avoid the room they’re in. Team Flare Mable is the holder of the Elevator Key, and doesn’t pose much of an issue at all. After going downstairs and listening to AZ’s tale, I go downstairs again to fight Xerosic. His Malamar is a huge issue since it knows Psycho Cut and Beedrill has pitiful Defense, but it’s slow and just teaching Beedrill X-Scissor over Poison Jab takes care of it. After Xerosic activates the ultimate weapon, I head up topside and Fly to Geosenge Town.

Team Flare Secret HQ

The final showdown to save Kalos starts with another battle against Lysandre. Once again, he leads off with his Mienshao, which is easily dispatched with an Acrobatics. Pyroar can be taken out with a Swords Dance into a Poison Jab while taking a Fire Blast in return, and Honchkrow goes down with one Poison Jab. The problem is Gyarados. I got lucky in the last battle with a status and Aqua Tail miss, but that’s gone now. Aqua Tail finishes me off easily, and a +1 Poison Jab after Intimidate at Level 63 doesn’t come close to OHKOing Gyarados. I should also mention that I got screwed by luck in these battles: I fought Lysandre about 10 times between the last two Secret HQ fights, and between his Pyroar using Fire Blast (85% accuracy) and his Gyarados using Aqua Tail (90% accuracy), I never got a miss once. I still don’t want to use my Rare Candies before I have to, but I did use two (and picked one up on Route 16, so I have three left) and grinded Beedrill up to Level 68. I didn’t want to use an itemless strategy and level up past my problems, but there isn’t an alternative. Someone on the Discord suggested a Liechi Berry strategy by intentionally boosting up with a Swords Dance and letting myself get taken down to low health with Acrobatics to activate it before sweeping, but this strategy requires a Yache Berry, which is only obtainable either through the Berry tree mechanic (which is unusable by Beedrill) or by using a Berry tree on Route 19, which I can’t get to yet. At Level 68, Beedrill is finally able to OHKO Gyarados with Poison Jab and I can move on.

The next part of the Team Flare Secret HQ is a cakewalk. There are three Multi Battles with the rival as a partner, and since they always lead with Meowstic the Team Flare opponents love to key on them. To sum it up, in between the Lysandre battle and the last Team Flare Admin who has a Golbat that almost knocked me out with Acrobatics, Beedrill didn’t take a single point of damage all the way down. Xerneas is an easy catch, as one Acrobatics knocks it down to yellow health and it goes into the second Ultra Ball I throw, but there’s an issue with the final Lysandre battle. Not only do you get a free heal before facing him, but the legendary Pokemon you catch will always be your lead Pokemon, and that is obviously against the rules of the battle. So I simply throw the battle with Lysandre by spamming Geomancy and Agility, box my legendary deer, and head back to take on Lysandre. Once again, the main issue is the Gyarados, as after the Mega Evolution it’s even harder to take down due to a boost of its base Defense from 79 to 109. Even at Level 70, Poison Jab at +1 isn’t coming even close to OHKOing it. I thought about grinding even higher, but then realized I’m a complete idiot. X-Scissor is super-effective against Mega Gyarados, and only requires removing Agility to get it into the moveset, which is a move I haven’t been using and can simply re-teach when necessary with a Heart Scale. Beedrill will also be in Swarm range after a Fire Blast too, which should help though I don’t know by how much. One X-Scissor later, Lysandre has been defeated and the region saved. Beedrill is at Level 70, which bodes well for the Elite Four so far, though I will absolutely need more levels to deal with Malva. I will be getting Brick Break on the next route though, which is very helpful.

On the Road Again

With the world saved, I can finally get back to my Pokemon journey. Route 18 is short and unassuming, but I do take a quick detour into the upper level of Terminus Cave to grab TM31 (Brick Break). I don’t teach it right away because I don’t need to, but it’ll come in handy for later. At Couriway Town, I have a quick battle with Professor Sycamore that doesn’t pose a threat, and then head out to Route 19. About halfway through, I come to one of the more infamous locations in the game, which I simply know as “The Bridge”. Here, you have to fight Shauna and Tierno back-to-back without healing, and then defeat Trevor’s three Pokemon without healing. This took me three tries. There are two main issues: Tierno’s Talonflame and Trevor’s Aerodactyl. I don’t have a super-effective move to hit either, so my only option is to simply hit as hard as I can. Shauna’s team isn’t an issue, though Goodra does take two hits since I didn’t have an item on. Then comes Tierno’s Talonflame. Even at Level 48, to my Level 72, Poison Jab isn’t an OHKO and it destroys me in one shot from ¾ health with Acrobatics. My Poison Jab did get it to the red, so I just need a little extra push to put me over the top. Luckily, I still have the Poison Barb lying around, and it’s perfect for this purpose. Not only does it let me take out Talonflame at Level 73 in one hit, but it also lets me OHKO Shauna’s Goodra. Having the Poison Barb on means I can’t take out Tierno’s Roserade in one shot, but I simply take back an ineffectual Petal Dance. Trevor’s Aerodactyl is a huge issue as well since I can’t OHKO with a resisted Poison Jab and it knows Sky Drop, Crunch and Ancient Power to deal massive damage, but instead it uses...Supersonic. And misses. I don’t think any of those three moves would have OHKO’d with the level difference, but I’ll take it! Never look a gift horse in the mouth. With those three battles taken care of, I can proceed to Snowbelle City. After a quick jaunt down Route 20 to find Wulfric, I can quickly dispatch the Gym trainers and take on Wulfric for my final badge, where I...lose. Yup, as embarrassing as it sounds, I lost to Wulfric. My initial strategy was to just go in, use a Poison Jab on Abomasnow for a OHKO and then take out Cryogonal and Avalugg with Fist Plate Brick Break. As it turns out, I forgot how defensively bulky Avalugg is. Brick Break does about 40%, Avalanche almost takes me out from 75% health in one shot, and it’s over after that. And then I realized I’m a complete idiot and could simply use Swords Dance twice on the Abomasnow (Ice Beam + hail did about a third each turn) and sweep his entire team. Victory!

That’s all for now. Next time I’ll finish the game.

Beedrill: Level 76
  • Swords Dance
  • X-Scissor
  • Poison Jab
  • Brick Break

In-game time: 15:57

Victory Road

Before I even get to Victory Road, there’s a huge hassle. On Route 21, there’s an Ace Trainer with a Sableye and a Crustle. The problem is that the Crustle can’t be taken out in one hit from base power and it knows Rock Wrecker, which is a guaranteed OHKO. Fortunately, the Sableye can’t take me out in one shot, so Fist Plate Brick Break takes care of Crustle in one shot after a Swords Dance. Now for Victory Road proper. A large portion of the Trainers in here can be easily avoided, but there were two major trouble spots: the rival battle and Veteran Timeo in the final area. Because I chose Chespin to maximize the challenge, the rival has a Meowstic, Delphox, Jolteon, Altaria and Absol. The main issue is the Jolteon, which comes out fourth, only before Absol. Beedrill can’t take out either Delphox or Altaria in one hit, so a Swords Dance is necessary, which means taking a Psychic from Meowstic. The problem is that Jolteon, even at Level 57 compared to my Level 78, outspeeds and can finish off Beedrill with Discharge. To get past this, I used the Leftovers to gain back some health before getting to the Jolteon so that I could survive a Discharge and take it out with Poison Jab. Absol didn’t pose a threat, so the final rival battle was taken care of.

The other Trainer that posed a huge issue was Veteran Timeo, and this was probably one of the worst battles I’ve ever done. Even at Level 79, I was seriously tempted to use my Rare Candies to level myself past this one. To explain why, Timeo has a Trevenant and a Gigalith. I can OHKO the Trevenant easily with Acrobatics, but the real issue is the Gigalith. It knows Stone Edge, and even at my high level it just straight-up murders Beedrill from full health (it will always use it). This raises a dilemma. I need to use an item to get past this as I can’t OHKO Gigalith because of Sturdy, but without the itemless power boost to Acrobatics my other move options in X-Scissor and Poison Jab don’t have the power to OHKO Trevenant. By using Swords Dance on the first turn into Poison Jab, I would be able to get Gigalith down to Sturdy range with a Brick Break as well as take out the Trevenant, but this doesn’t solve the issue of the Gigalith having Stone Edge and opens me up to a move from Trevenant. After some research, I then came up with a really weird solution. My plan was to use Swords Dance into Poison Jab to take down the Trevenant, then knock the Gigalith down to Sturdy and use the Charti Berry (which can be found in Cyllage City for free) to tank the Stone Edge.

This plan, however, relies on a ton of luck. Trevenant knows Curse, Will O’Wisp, and Shadow Claw (and one other unrevealed move). If it uses Curse on the turn where I set up, that’s an instant reset since I’ll be reduced to half health before the Gigalith even comes out, and Will O’Wisp is also a reset if it hits since it neutralizes Swords Dance, meaning I’ll take Burn chip damage and not be able to OHKO the Trevenant before it hits me with Stone Edge. However, as it turns out, even if I get Shadow Claw, it’ll still knock me down into a range where Stone Edge KOs with or without the berry. Therefore, I need to basically hope for two things: one, that Trevenant uses Will O’Wisp, and two, that I get the 25% chance that it misses since I need to be at full health for Gigalith. On the successful battle, I set up with Swords Dance and took a Shadow Claw from Trevenant before taking it down with Poison Jab. With Gigalith out, I knock it down to 1 HP with Brick Break, but I’m only at half health so I’m bracing for the Stone Edge that will end the battle and...it misses. Gigalith only missed with Stone Edge once this entire time, and it was on the last attempt. I’ll take it! With him and the other two final Veterans defeated, I’m able to get to the Pokemon League at Level 81. I used the 5 Rare Candies I had lying around to immediately upgrade Beedrill to Level 86.

Elite Four

Let me get one thing straight: Even at Level 86, I really thought this would be more difficult. Beedrill had struggled to OHKO Pokemon in the high 50s in Victory Road, as well as the brutal Veteran battle, so I was expecting big trouble, especially with Malva. Anyways, let’s dive in. I used varying movesets depending on the trainers, and used Leftovers as my item the whole time for passive recovery. It took me only two attempts to win. Victory Road was more difficult lol. While this rule didn’t come into effect, I like to imitate it from YouTuber JRose’s solo runs - no resetting during the Elite Four and Champion gauntlet. If I win it has to be on a strategy that works consistently. However, as you’ll see below, all five members had incredibly poor lead Pokemon that I was able to set up on to win.

Drasna

Starting with Drasna, I started to get a sense of a strategy. She leads with a Dragalge, and it can’t hit me super-effectively so it simply spams Dragon Pulse, which doesn’t do all that much. Since Beedrill has pretty decent Special Defense and Leftovers, I can afford to take what the opposition is giving me and set up to +6 with Swords Dance. I taught Return to Beedrill to take care of this Dragalge since everything else I was using was less effective, and used Poison Jab to deal with the rest of her team. Noivern gives me a scare since I know it’s really fast, but at Level 86 I’m still faster and take it out with one Poison Jab.

Siebold

I didn’t have the best pathing for this battle in hindsight. I taught X-Scissor to Beedrill over Return, and he leads off with a Clawitzer. I used one Swords Dance while taking a Water Pulse in return, then OHKO’d with Poison Jab. In hindsight, I really should have used two Swords Dances here to get to +4 since it would have made the battle faster, but it ended up not mattering in the grand scheme of things. Next up is Barbaracle, who goes down to a single Brick Break, and Starmie, who is quickly dispatched by X-Scissor. The big issue is his Gyarados. After Intimidate, Poison Jab can’t take it out in one shot from +1, which leads to some wasted time while Siebold heals. It doesn’t end up mattering though, and on the successful battle even Dragon Dance isn’t enough for Gyarados to outspeed me and I actually used a turn to get to +3 while he healed up, then OHKO’d with Poison Jab.

Wikstrom

This battle can go a couple different ways, and I got one of each during the battles. Wikstrom leads with a Klefki, which is a joke except for one move: Torment. Klefki has Prankster, so it comes down to if it decides to use Torment, and once it’s active it stays that way for the entire battle since I can’t switch. I have both Brick Break and Thief as attacking options, but Thief is noticeably weaker since it isn’t super-effective against some of his team. On the failed attempt, I got Tormented and made it to his Scizor, but at only +2 since I could only get one Swords Dance up I had to use Thief after taking out his Probopass with Brick Break (a mistake on my part since I mistakenly thought Torment wore off), which didn’t take out the Scizor and I got destroyed by Iron Head. On the second attempt, his Klefki didn’t use Torment at all, and I was able to set up to +6 and take out his entire team. I held my breath when getting to the Aegislash, but it didn’t use King’s Shield and Thief took it out in one shot. Three down, one to go!

Malva

This was probably the battle I was most anticipating for the entire run, as I didn’t have a super-effective move against three of her Pokemon. Thanks to my level advantage and crap AI though, this turned out to be really easy. Her Pyroar leads off and I go for Swords Dance since I know I can take a hit - it doesn’t know Fire Blast, which I already know I can survive, and its power is nerfed due to Rivalry. However, it goes for Noble Roar instead, which simply lowers my Attack and Special Attack (the latter of which I don’t care about) by one stage each. Following my strategy once again to take what the opponent is giving me, I boost up to +3 Attack as I take the expected Flamethrower. From there it’s a Brick Break to one-shot Pyroar and one Poison Jab each for the rest of the team. I held my breath for Talonflame since I know what kind of power it has, but it doesn’t outspeed me and goes down in one hit.

Diantha

Diantha’s poor AI made this less of a battle than it should have been. Her lead Hawlucha knows 3 resisted attacking moves in Poison Jab, Flying Press and X-Scissor, as well as Swords Dance, which it never used. Using the Leftovers + setup strategy, I once again was able to happily boost up to +6 with Swords Dance and mow down the Champion’s entire team.

And with that, the run is complete! It took forever to get the ball rolling (the first 90 minutes of an 18-hour run were spent just getting past the first trainer), but Beedrill really proved its worth after the first part of the game, especially the slog to get past Grant. Despite a very limited movepool that made it impossible to target Poison-, Flying-, Fire-, Water- and Dragon-types with physically damaging moves, Swords Dance was an absolute gamebreaker that pretty much turned the strategy into “if it can set up and has a move that does enough damage, it wins”. On the defensive side, Beedrill was surprisingly tanky when it came to Special Defense, but had a tendency to roll over and die when taking physical hits. I’m a bit disappointed that the ending of the game turned out to be so anticlimactic as Drasna, Siebold and Diantha were complete jokes, and I do wish I had a better strategy to beat Lysandre that didn’t rely on “level up past the Gyarados”, but the scheming that went into the battles like the final rival right and the Veteran Timeo fight was worth it.

Final time (including credits): 17:55. Note that this is in-game time, so it doesn’t include the resets I did against Lysandre and the Victory Road run.

Beedrill (Level 88)
Final moveset:
  • Swords Dance
  • Poison Jab
  • Brick Break
  • Thief/X-Scissor/Return

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)