Popplio [QC: 1/2]

Rei

formerly Scholar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
[OVERVIEW]
Popplio might look good to use because of its unique ability Liquid Voice, decent Special attack and bulk; however, its poor Speed leaves it unable to make use of its positive characteristics. Popplio is outclassed by other offensive Water-types such as Staryu and Clamperl. This is because Staryu has better Speed, Special Attack, coverage and utility with Rapid Spin and Recovery while Clamperl has far greater Special Attack and can use Shell Smash to sweep.

[SET]
name: All-out Attacker
move 1: Scald
move 2: Hyper Voice
move 3: Ice Beam
move 4: Hidden Power Grass
item: Eviolite
ability: Liquid Voice
nature: Timid
evs: 164 Def / 232 SpA / 68 SpD / 36 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Popplio attempts switch in on offensive Pokemon such as Gastly that use Substitute, take a hit, and KO them from behind the Substitute with Hyper Voice. With only a few Pokemon that commonly use Substitute, Popplio's only positive trait does not make up for its low Speed and poor coverage options. Popplio faces competition from other offensive water-types such as Staryu because of having better Speed, Special Attack, and can use Rapid Spin to get rid of hazards for the team.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Yami, 393488]]
- Quality checked by: [[Fiend, 208173], [<username2>, <userid2>]]
- Grammar checked by: [[<username1>, <userid1>]]

Last edited:

Nineage

Pugnacious.
is a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Sorry for the delay in checking this (actually all of your active analyses have been waiting forever). Here goes:

[OVERVIEW]
  • Your first sentence is a little confusing; as it is, it sounds like Snivy competes with Popplio for a teamslot. Instead, I would just say that Popplio's poor Speed leaves it unable to make use of its positive characteristics
  • Mention Popplio's unique ability in the first sentence, that's probably what would draw someone to Popplio. Don't mention its decent movepool (its movepool is pretty poor in terms of coverage, actually), and instead mention its decent special attack.
  • Mention that Staryu has better coverage.
[SET]
This set seems odd to me for a number of reasons. I think Popplio is outclassed even as a Torrent abuser, and so the best bet is a bulkier defensive set that attempts to make use of Liquid Voice. See below:
Popplio @ Eviolite
Ability: Liquid Voice
Level: 5
EVs: 164 Def / 232 SpA / 68 SpD / 36 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Hyper Voice
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Scald

[SET COMMENTS]
Update these to reflect the new set. It attempts to switch popplio in on offensive Pokemon such as Gastly that use substitute, take a hit, and KO them from behind the Substitute with Hyper Voice. Mention that this niche isn't enough to justify use, and then keep your Staryu point.

Make the changes and then tag me and I'll stamp this.

Fiend

someguy
is a Social Media Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
so as far as the set goes, I think the 4 moves are best as:
Hyper Voice
Ice Beam
Moonblast (probably)
Hidden Power Electric (mini pex gets hit for 33%)

It's super wonky but this lets you somewhat damage the most common pokemon and generally "cover" common switch ins for waters (that isn't ferro). I'll allow another QC member to think about this too however. However, if Liquid Voice is the way forward, Modest is the nature of my choice as this allows Popplio to revenge kill LO Abra 100% of the time instead of 62% (Psychic does not kill after SR with just 36 EVs in HP, Energy Ball is extremely uncommon especially on LO)

I'll stamp this as is with some wording fixes. Changing the set doesn't really change the profile of Popplio so this is fine.

remove ADD comment
[OVERVIEW]
Popplio is outclassed by other offensive Water-types such as Staryu and Clamperl. This is because Staryu has better Speed, Special Attack, coverage and utility with Rapid Spin and Recovery while Clamperl has better far greater Special Attack to use and can use Shell Smash and to sweep.

[SET]
see above but okay for now

[SET COMMENTS]
Popplio attempts switch in on offensive Pokemon such as Gastly that use substitute Substitute, take a hit, and KO them from behind the Substitute with Hyper Voice. With only a few Pokemon that commonly use Substitute, Popplio's only positive trait does not make up for its low Speed and poor coverage options. Even with this niche, Popplio cannot find a slot on most teams because of its low Speed and coverage. I'd rather emphasise how bad Popplio is and calling this a niche is honestly poor too. Furthermore, Popplio faces competition from other offensive water-types such as Staryu because of having better Speed, Special Attack, and can use Rapid Spin to get rid of hazards for the team.

qc 1/2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)