Doubles Porygon2 [GP 1/1]

Light Sanctity

The Usurper
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
[OVERVIEW]

Porygon2 manages to stand out as a reliable Trick Room setter and threatening late-game wincon thanks to its Eviolite-boosted defenses, access to Recover, and single weakness in Fighting. Download can allow it to provide some offensive pressure with its good coverage in Thunderbolt and Ice Beam should it get a Special Attack boost. Porygon2 is appreciated on semi-Trick Room teams. On these teams, Rillaboom provides Fake Out support and checks Urshifu-R, while Volcanion and Diancie benefit from Trick Room, with Diancie being a secondary setter. However, if lacking a Download boost, Porygon2 can find itself being ignored due providing subpar offensive pressure. Porygon2 also has to be cautious of Knock Off from Incineroar and Toxic from Blastoise, which can severely cripple it. Despite having one weakness, Porygon2 can be OHKOed by Life Orb Urshifu-R and overwhelmed by combinations of strong attacks from Pokemon like Zygarde and Heatran.

[SET]
name: Trick Room
move 1: Ice Beam
move 2: Thunderbolt
move 3: Recover
move 4: Trick Room
item: Eviolite
ability: Download
nature: Quiet
evs: 248 HP / 40 Def / 156 SpA / 64 SpD
ivs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

* Ice Beam is a good coverage option that allows Porygon2 to hit foes such as Rillaboom, Zygarde, and Dragapult. In combination with Thunderbolt, it can hit the entire tier for at least neutral damage.

* Thunderbolt enables Porygon2 to pressure Tapu Fini, Volcanion, and Urshifu-R with super effective damage, while Toxic puts bulky walls like Assault Vest Kyurem-B and Porygon2, and setup sweepers such as Dragon Dance Kyurem-B and Calm Mind Tapu Fini outside of Misty Terrain, on a timer.

* Recover enables Porygon2 to stay healthy and consistently set up Trick Room, making it difficult to remove late-game once its main checks have been removed, such as Urshifu-R and Heatran.

* Trick Room makes Porygon2 an excellent form of speed control, as it can turn the tables against faster threats such as Urshifu-R and deters setup sweepers like Dragon Dance Kyurem-B from setting up. Allies in Volcanion and Diancie benefit greatly from Trick Room support, as they then underspeed the majority of the metagame.

* Download can often boost Porygon2's Special Attack due to the prevalence of Zygarde and Urshifu-R, which greatly improves its special moves, allowing it to OHKO Urshifu-R, Zygarde, and Dragapult at +1.

* The given EV spread allows Porygon2 to OHKO Zygarde and Dragapult at +1, as well as making Choice Band Zygarde's Thousand Arrows into a 4HKO and Modest Charcoal Heatran only able to 3HKO.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Icy Wind Porygon2 fits on more offensive teams that do not need Trick Room support. It can also use Ally Switch to cause the opponent to pay attention to it or make unnecessary reads, which can rectify its passivity problem. However, running Ally Switch means you need to give up either valuable coverage or pressure with Toxic.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Light Sanctity, 491200]]
- Quality checked by: [[emma, 294304], [zeefable, 501951]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Finland, 517429]]

Last edited:

Crunchman

Banned deucer.
which the latter two appreciate Trick Room support.
would just say, which appreciate trick room support.
wording is a bit awkward and amoonguss appreciates trick room too.
alternatively, if you really want to only stress the last two mons appreciating trick room
of which the latter two appreciate trick room support. flows a little better

of a Knock off from Incineroar and Toxic from Landorus-T, which can severely cripple it.
agree on knock off - toxic can come from many places besides lando-t, and would not say lando is super prevalent. most often toxics might be coming from opposing porygons. maybe just mention the move, idk.
also may be worth mentioning in the overview that porygon is also a mon that can wear down bulkier mons with its own toxic

Ice beam
also allows you to hit dragons like dragapult, but landorus and zygarde are probably the big ones ice beam lets you hit

download
Would just say download sometimes allows porygon to boost its special attack, allowing it to hit harder, as the attack boost is irrelevant

EVs
How does porygon2 stack up against urshifu-r (unbanded)/galarian zapdos/other fighting threats/maybe even rilla superpower

It may be worth mentioning as a potential weakness for porygon a tendency to just sit on the board and alternate between a recover and an attack, which makes it super passive; a lot of the time during limited trick room turns you might want to be a bit more aggressive. Especially if your opponent is running powerful spread moves, porygon will be taking damage that it has to recover without drawing firepower away from teammates. On the other hand, a huge benefit is that porygon can sit through those trick room turns and be healthy coming out of it to setup trick room again (durability -> setup trick room a lot).

A lot of these points are just me being nit-picky, really up to you if you want to consider them or not

comments in blue.

the purpose of this check is mainly to give you some feedback to try and push this a little further than it is in its current state

[OVERVIEW]

Porygon2's good bulk when combined with Eviolite, access to Recover, and a single weakness makes it a reliable Trick Room setter and a potential late-game win condition. Download can allow it to provide some offensive pressure with its good coverage in Thunderbolt and Ice Beam should it get a Special Attack boost. Good teammates can be Amoongus, Volcanian, and Diancie, which the latter two appreciate Trick Room support. However, due to its somewhat reliance on a Download Boost Porygon2 can be passive and has to be cautious of a Knock off from Incineroar and Toxic from Landorus-T, which can severely cripple it.

This overview feels really short. You have the role down, yes, it is indeed a bulky and reliable trick room setter. By the way, I am a little suspicious that this was copied from the SM analysis because it's scarily similar. see below. Anyway, this misses a lot of what Porygon2 is capable of and a lot of what it falls short against. The flow from sentence one to sentence two is fine, but when we hit sentence three it feels like the teammates were just plopped in. You don't really talk about what teams appreciate porygon2's presence (i.e. the semiroom team structure, you can find a lot of these in the dpl replays thread), or some of porygon2's most notable checks like Urshifu-R and Heatran, though you do list partners for them which deal with these guys, let's put it directly though because being explicit is what we want to see.

sm porygon2
[SET]
move 2: Thunderbolt / Toxic
evs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 132 SpA / 108 SpD
ivs: 0

[SET COMMENTS]

* Ice Beam allows Poyrgon2 to hit Ground- and Grass-types like Landorus-T, Zygarde, and Rillaboom.

* Thunderbolt enables Porygon2 to pressure Tapu Fini and Blastoise, while Toxic allows it to put setup sweepers on a timer like Kyurem-B, Dragapult, and Zygarde.

* Recover enables Porygon2 to stay healthy and consistently set up Trick Room as well as be a excellent late-game win condition, once its main checks have been removed.

* Download enables Porygon2 to boost either its Attack or Special upon entering battle.

* The given spread allows Porygon2 to survive a boosted Nihilego's Meteor Beam and Sludge Bomb at +1 and two Sacred Sword's from a 4 Attack Kartana, whereas the remaining EVs are placed in Special Attack.

this moves section feels pretty rushed to me. the download point is literally just listing the function of the ability without an application (i.e. Porygon2 can often get spatk boosts due to how common Kartana is in the metagame or the fact that it's useful for boosting its special moves. the mention of boosting attack is entirely useless) there's no mention of Trick Room here besides it being a cameo in the recover point, which feels a bit surface level as you don't talk about these checks you want to remove. The EV spread point makes it read like you can take all 4 of these attacks so please fix that.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Porygon2 can run Icy Wind, which can be an alternative speed control option on teams that do not need Trick Room and on offensively oriented ones too. Also, it can use Ally Switch to play mind games with the opponent and to better protect its teammates.

it doesn't really feel like you cover more than the surface level applications of these moves, and you don't mention the opportunity cost of why you'd run them over something on the main set. The Icy Wind mention of teammates that do not need Trick Room and offensive ones is weird because there is a very large overlap between pokemon that do not need trick room and Pokemon that do damage. There are certainly better ways to phrase ally switch than "playing mindgames", such as making the opponent make aggressive or unnecessary reads to compensate for its presence.

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[username1, userid1], [username2, userid2]]
- Grammar checked by: [[username1, userid1]]

There are also a few grammar errors throughout this such as wrong forms of a/an and not capitalizing or misspelling Pokemon. just give it a few more proofreads.

Light Sanctity

The Usurper
Edited in the above comments. So hopefully it is better! I added in Rillaboom as a teammate as well, since I remembered it was mentioned (and after looking at the DPL thread). So if it needs to be removed I can do so.

Last edited:
[OVERVIEW]
  • Add Porygon2 having only one weaknesses to the opening line (major factor to why it never dies) as well as the fact that it can act as a late game win condition when its checks are removed.
  • For the partners I would go with Rillaboom (Fake Out support, Urshifu-R check), Diancie (Secondary Trick Room setter, strong Trick Room attacker), and Volcanion (Loves fighting under Trick Room with Porygon2 handling Zygarde and Dragapult). These four make up the backbone of almost every solid Porygon2 Semiroom team. I don't love Amoonguss since Rillaboom is too good to pass up on these types of structures and the pairing doesn't work well. I also wouldn't really call Diancie a reliable Urshifu-R check.
  • Urshifu-R needs to be directly mentioned as a check since it's a huge part of why we've seen Semiroom go from one of the best playstyles to mostly forgotten. I would also include how it easily gets overwhelmed by other strong offensive threats (Kartana, Heatran, Zygarde). Order of checks should go Urshifu-R / Offense --> Passive --> Knock Off / Toxic. Also replace Landorus-T with Blastoise for the Toxic mention.
[SET]
  • IVs: 0 Spe
  • Make the examples Rillaboom, Zygarde, and Dragapult on the Ice Beam line as Landorus-Therian is no longer relevant in the tier. Also mention how along with Thunderbolt, you hit the entire tier for at least neutral damage.
  • Mention Volcanion and Urshifu-R as Thunderbolt targets and remove Blastoise.
  • Add "really fat" Pokemon to the list of Toxic targets (AV Kyurem-Black, opposing Porygon2) to go along with set-up sweepers. Remove Dragapult and Zygarde since you Ice Beam those, and instead mention Calm Mind Tapu Fini outside of Misty Terrain.
  • Since we're going to mention late game win condition in the opening sentence, reword the Recover line to say something like how it can become virtually unkillable towards the end of games.
  • Trick Room should be the next line after Recover. Really need to beef this point up, since it's one of the major selling arguments of Porygon2. Talk about how its excellent Speed control, more about partners who can benefit from it, and how it turns matchups upside-down (i.e. you are now threatening Urshifu-R, DD Kyurem-Black can no longer set-up, etc.).
  • Talk about how Download is key to be a sitting duck (heh) vs. putting on actual offensive pressure (such as how +1 Thunderbolt now OHKOs Urshifu-R). The mention how Kartana can give SpA boosts is good.
  • Heads up, the EV Spread might get changed to something more relevant (Nihilego has done missing) but keep what you have for now.
[OTHER OPTIONS]
  • Mention how Icy Wind fits on more offensive-oriented teams that don't want the Trick Room support.
  • Add how Ally Switch forces unreadable 50/50s and helps make up for Porygon2's passivity problem. However, mention how it's generally less useful than Thunderbolt and Toxic.
I mostly focused on the content and not how it's presented yet. Let me know when you implement and I will look over it again before stamping.

[OVERVIEW]
  • Instead of "can be" say "is a" phenomenal Trick Room setter.
  • Remove Urshifu-R as a partner. That Pokemon only excels on Offense and I have never seen a Porygon2 and Urshfiu-R together on the same team.
  • Once you name the partners, say how Rillaboom provides Fake Out support and checks Urshifu-R, while Volcanion and Diancie thrive under Trick Room, with Diancie being a secondary setter.
  • Urshifu-R needs to be the first downside mentioned and you really need to expand on the line. Urshifu-R dos not just "check it", it has been a major factor of invaliding Semiroom as a playstyle.
  • You also need to go in depth about how its overwhelmed by strong attackers; maybe you can combine that with the Urshifu-R line. These are the two main drawbacks of Porygon2 and you mostly skip over them. Needs to be expanded.
  • Also expand on the passivity point -- maybe something like without a Download boost, Porygon2 can find itself being ignored on the field and applying zero offensive pressure.
[SET]
  • Moves the BoltBeam coverage to the Ice Beam line.
  • Throw back in set-up sweepers into the Toxic line. Toxic should mention hitting both "bulky walls" (there is for sure a better way to phrase this but I don't know at the moment) like Assault Vest Kyurem-Black and Porygon2, as well as set-up sweepers like Dragon Dance Kyurem-Black and Calm Mind Tapu Fini outside of Misty Terrain.
  • Urshifu-R is not a set-up sweeper, but Trick Room does still turn the tables against it. Reword this line as to "it turns the tables against Urshifu-R, as well as set-up sweepers such as Kyurem-B" or something like that.
  • Expand on the Download point (see my previous post) and throw in the Urshifu-R example.
[OTHER OPTIONS]
  • You don't give up Thunderbolt or Toxic for Icy Wind, you usually run something like Icy Wind / Thunderbolt / Toxic / Recover. Icy Wind is a completely different thing, while Ally Switch is more of generally inferior to other options but still usable. Make clear that the worse than Thunderbolt or Toxic line is only referring to Ally Switch.
  • Reword the Ally Switch point -- I would remove the play more aggressively part and instead say that it forces the opponent to pay attention to Porygon2 (and loop this in with helping it not be as passive)
Tag me when implemented and I will look again.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 248 HP / 40 Def / 156 SpA / 64 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Recover
- Trick Room

New spread, this OHKOs Zygarde at +0 and Dragapult at +1, makes CB Zygarde Thousand Arrows a 4HKO, and Modest Charcoal Eruption a 3HKO from Heatran. Edit the current spread and the EV line to reflect these changes.

[OVERVIEW]
  • I wouldn't say 0 offensive pressure, but I would say something like "subpar offensive pressure".
  • The Urshifu-R and offense line should be the first downside before talking about how it can be passive. I would also reword to something like "Despite only having one weaknesses, Porygon2 can be overwhelmed by strong attacks from Kartana, Zygarde, and Heatran, as well as OHKOd by Life Orb Urshifu-R." Being OHKOd by Life Orb means it will also being OHKOd by Choice Band.
[SET]
  • Just say "turns the tables against Urshifu-R..." and remove the "on its head" part.
  • Remember to adjust the set and the EV line.
[OTHER OPTIONS]
  • Say how when running Icy Wind, Porygon2 will run a lot of Speed to outrun threats such as Urshifu-R at -1.
  • Change the last sentence to like "However, running Ally Switch means you need to give up either valuable coverage or a way to put foes on a timer." Leave the Icy Wind line as it is, you don't need really need to provide a downside since it's not generally inferior; it's an alternative way to run Porygon2 depending on your team (like AV vs. Eject Button Rillaboom).

QC 1/2

Last edited:

Light Sanctity

The Usurper
Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 248 HP / 40 Def / 156 SpA / 64 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Recover
- Trick Room

New spread, this OHKOs Zygarde at +0 and Dragapult at +1, makes CB Zygarde Thousand Arrows a 4HKO, and Modest Charcoal Eruption a 3HKO from Heatran. Edit the current spread and the EV line to reflect these changes.

[OVERVIEW]
  • I wouldn't say 0 offensive pressure, but I would say something like "subpar offensive pressure".
  • The Urshifu-R and offense line should be the first downside before talking about how it can be passive. I would also reword to something like "Despite only having one weaknesses, Porygon2 can be overwhelmed by strong attacks from Kartana, Zygarde, and Heatran, as well as OHKOd by Life Orb Urshifu-R." Being OHKOd by Life Orb means it will also being OHKOd by Choice Band.
[SET]
  • Just say "turns the tables against Urshifu-R..." and remove the "on its head" part.
  • Remember to adjust the set and the EV line.
[OTHER OPTIONS]
  • Say how when running Icy Wind, Porygon2 will run a lot of Speed to outrun threats such as Urshifu-R at -1.
  • Change the last sentence to like "However, running Ally Switch means you need to give up either valuable coverage or a way to put foes on a timer." Leave the Icy Wind line as it is, you don't need really need to provide a downside since it's not generally inferior; it's an alternative way to run Porygon2 depending on your team (like AV vs. Eject Button Rillaboom).

QC 1/2
Thanks emma :heart:

add remove comment
[OVERVIEW]

Porygon2 is a phenomenal Trick Room setter thanks to Recover and its overall bulk being augmented by its Eviolite, enabling it to be a late-game win conditon once its checks are removed Porygon2 manages to stand out as a reliable Trick Room setter and threatening late-game win condition thanks to its Eviolite-boosted defenses, access to Recover, and only one weakness in Fighting. Download can allow it to provide some offensive pressure with its good coverage in Thunderbolt and Ice Beam should it get a Special Attack boost. Porygon2 is appreciated on semiroom semi Trick Room teams in which teammates can be Rillaboom, Diancie, and Volcanion. why do these Pokemon appreciate this teamstyle? What good do they do for Porygon2? With Rillaboom providing Fake Out support and checks Urshifu-R, while Volcanion and Diancie benefit from Trick Room, with Diancie being a secondary setter. However, lacking a Download boost it can find itself being ignored due providing subpar offensive pressure. Porygon2 also has to be cautious of a Knock Off from Incineroar and Toxic from Blastoise, which can severely cripple it. Despite having one weakness, Porygon2 can be overwhelmed by combinations of strong attacks from Kartana, Zygarde, and Heatran, as well as being OHKOed by Life Orb Urshifu-R. this sentence should be the first one when it comes to listing downsides

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

* Ice Beam is a good coverage option that allows Poyrgon2 Porygon2 to hit foes such as Rillaboom, Zygarde, and Dragapult. In combination with Thunderbolt, it can hit the entire tier for at least neutral damage.

* Thunderbolt enables Porygon2 to pressure Tapu Fini, Volcanian Volcanion, and Urshifu-R for super effective damage, while Toxic allows it to put both bulky walls like Assault Vest Kyurem-B and opposing Porygon2 on a timer as well as setup sweepers such as Dragon Dance Kyurem-B and Calm Mind Tapu Fini outside of Misty Terrain. re-order this to say bulky walls -> set up sweepers -> on a timer

* Recover enables Porygon2 to stay healthy and consistently set up Trick Room, making it diffuclt difficult to remove late-game once its main checks have been removed, such as Urshifu-R and Heatran.

* Trick Rooms allows Porygon2 to be an excellent form of speed control, turns as it can turn the tables against faster threats such as Urshifu-R and deters setup sweepers like Dragon Dance Kyurem-B from setting up. Allies in Volcanian and Diance benefit greatly from Trick Room support as they underspeed the majority of the metagame.

* Download can often boost Porygon2's Special Attack due to the prevalence of Kartana, Zygarde, and Urshifu-R all super common Pokemon that are weaker on SpDef, not just Kartana which greatly improves its special moves, allowing it to OHKO Urshifu-R, Zygarde, and Dragapult at +1.

* The given EV spread allows Porygon2 to OHKO Zygarde and Dragapult at +1 as well as making Choice Band Zygarde's Thousand Arrows into a 4HKO, and a 3HKO from Modest Charcoal Heatran.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Icy Wind Porygon2 fits on more offensively oriented teams that do not need Trick Room support as it will run more Speed investment to outpace threats like Urshifu-R at -1 QC decided this is like, really not it to mention (sorry emma!) takes 240 speed EVs LOL nope. It can also use Ally Switch to cause the opponent to pay attention to it or make unnecessary reads, which can be detrimental to them and rectifies its passivity problem. However, running Ally Switch means you need to give up either valuable coverage or a way to put a foe on a timer with Toxic.

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[emma, 294304], [username2, userid2]]
- Grammar checked by: [[username1, userid1]]

Please give this a reread and be careful! QC 2/2 when implemented

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Add/Fix Remove Comment
(AC): Add Comma

[OVERVIEW]

Porygon2 manages to stand out as a reliable Trick Room setter and threatening late-game win condition wincon thanks to its Eviolite-boosted defenses, access to Recover, and only one single weakness in Fighting. Download can allow it to provide some offensive pressure with its good coverage in Thunderbolt and Ice Beam should it get a Special Attack boost. Porygon2 is appreciated on semi Trick Room teams in which teammates can be Rillaboom, Diancie, and Volcanion. With Rillaboom providing semi-Trick Room teams. On these teams, Rillaboom provides Fake Out support and checks Urshifu-R, while Volcanion and Diancie benefit from Trick Room, with Diancie being a secondary setter. However, if lacking a Download boost, (AC) it Porygon2 can find itself being ignored due providing subpar offensive pressure. Porygon2 also has to be cautious of a Knock Off from Incineroar and Toxic from Blastoise, which can severely cripple it. Despite having one weakness, Porygon2 can be OHKOed by Life Orb Urshifu-R and overwhelmed by combinations of strong attacks from Pokemon like (I imagine? If not, maybe some elaboration would be useful?) Zygarde and Heatran.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

* Ice Beam is a good coverage option that allows Porygon2 to hit foes such as Rillaboom, Zygarde, and Dragapult. In combination with Thunderbolt, it can hit the entire tier for at least neutral damage.

* Thunderbolt enables Porygon2 to pressure Tapu Fini, Volcanion, and Urshifu-R for with super effective damage, while Toxic allows it to put puts bulky walls like Assault Vest Kyurem-B and Porygon2, and setup sweepers such as Dragon Dance Kyurem-B and Calm Mind Tapu Fini outside of Misty Terrain, (AC) on a timer.

* Recover enables Porygon2 to stay healthy and consistently set up Trick Room, making it difficult to remove late-game once its main checks have been removed, such as Urshifu-R and Heatran.

* Trick Rooms allows Porygon2 to be Room makes Porygon2 an excellent form of speed control, as it can turn the tables against faster threats such as Urshifu-R and deters setup sweepers like Dragon Dance Kyurem-B from setting up. Allies in Volcanian Volcanion and Diance Diancie benefit greatly from Trick Room support, as they then underspeed the majority of the metagame.

* Download can often boost Porygon2's Special Attack due to the prevalence of Zygarde and Urshifu-R, which greatly improves its special moves, allowing it to OHKO Urshifu-R, Zygarde, and Dragapult at +1.

* The given EV spread allows Porygon2 to OHKO Zygarde and Dragapult at +1, (AC) as well as making Choice Band Zygarde's Thousand Arrows into a 4HKO, and a 3HKO from Modest Charcoal Heatran. 4HKO and Modest Charcoal Heatran only able to 3HKO.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Icy Wind Porygon2 fits on more offensively oriented teams that do not need Trick Room support. It can also use Ally Switch to cause the opponent to pay attention to it (if something like "to absorb attacks for its teammates" is what you meant, it's probably a bit more clear than what you have, but if that's not what you meant, ignore this) or make unnecessary reads, which can be detrimental to them and rectifies rectify its passivity problem. However, running Ally Switch means you need to give up either valuable coverage or a way to put a foe on a timer pressure with Toxic.

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[emma, 294304], [zeefable, 501951]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Finland, 517429]]

adeleine.gif
1/1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)