Porygon2 [Done]

JustoonSmitts

I draw stuff for a living
is a Top Artistis a Contributor to Smogon

**artwork by me**
[OVERVIEW]

Porygon2 is one of the most versatile Normal-types in GSC OU thanks to its fantastic stats and movepool. It can be difficult to deal with thanks to its wide coverage options, mixed damage, decent power, and ability to spread status with Thunder Wave as well as its solid bulk and access to Recover. Porygon2 especially shines as a Thunder Wave user thanks to its ability to nail Ground-type switch-ins with Ice Beam. It also makes for a decent Curse user because it can recover its health without being forced to fall asleep, as well as hitting Pokemon that resist its Normal-type STAB moves hard with Ice Beam thanks to its good Special Attack. Its well-rounded stats, great movepool, and consistent damage output can make even top Pokemon like Snorlax, Zapdos, and Raikou think twice about taking it on. However, despite access to Recover, Porygon2 is extremely vulnerable to status conditions, especially Toxic poison. Porygon2's lack of super effective coverage against threats such as Tyranitar, Umbreon, and Miltank can also give it issues. As a Curse sweeper, Porygon2 is outclassed by Snorlax thanks to the latter's much better offensive and defensive stats.

[SET]
name: Thunder Wave
move 1: Thunder Wave / Thunder
move 2: Double-Edge
move 3: Ice Beam
move 4: Recover
item: Leftovers

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

Porygon2 is one of the best Thunder Wave users in the game because it has good mixed offenses and coverage while being difficult to take down thanks to its good defenses and Recover letting it keep itself healthy and continue spamming Thunder Wave. Double-Edge is Porygon2's strongest STAB attack, and it can 3HKO Raikou and 4HKO Snorlax. While Thunder Wave is the first move of choice, Porygon2 can instead use Thunder to hit Pokemon such as Cloyster, Skarmory, and Forretress. Without Thunder, Porygon2 cannot touch these Pokemon, though paralyzing them isn't bad either. Ice Beam deals with any Ground-type such as Steelix, Marowak, or Rhydon that tries to switch into Thunder Wave. It also 3HKOes Zapdos and can be used to chip or freeze Tyranitar, Miltank, and Umbreon, which all otherwise stomach Double-Edge.

Team Options
========

Pokemon such as Marowak, Machamp, and offensive Cloyster love Porygon2's ability to spread paralysis easily so they can focus on cleaning late-game without worrying about being outsped themselves. Machamp can also take out defensive Pokemon such as Umbreon and Miltank, which all take little damage from Porygon2's moves. Pokemon like Starmie, Cloyster, and Vaporeon appreciate Porygon2's Thunder Wave support and can also help it by threatening Steelix, which takes little damage from Double-Edge but is chipped by Porygon2's Ice Beam. Electric-types like Raikou, Zapdos, and Jolteon appreciate Porygon2's ability to threaten Ground-type Pokemon like Rhydon and Marowak.

[SET]
name: Curse
move 1: Curse
move 2: Double-Edge / Return
move 3: Recover
move 4: Ice Beam

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

Porygon2's above average stats, typing, and access to Recover make a Curse set not only viable but also quite distinctive. The combination of boosting its physical stats and Recover's 32 PP allows it to combat and often beat Curse Snorlax and other Curse boosterd. Boosted STAB Double-Edge hits like a truck against targets that don't resist it and should be chosen if Porygon2 is on a team that provides it with paralysis or poison support. Return is slightly weaker than Double-Edge, but it has the benefit of a recoil-free STAB attack and more PP, further enhancing Porygon2's potential to win via stalling the foe. Ice Beam rounds out Porygon2's coverage and is often the preferred fourth move, as it can hurt Pokemon that resist or are immune to its Normal-type STAB attacks such as Steelix, Rhydon, and Misdreavus. It also provides a 10% chance to freeze the opposing Pokemon, further solidifying its offensive tools against other Curse users. Thunderbolt is another option for the fourth move to hit Cloyster, Forretress, and Skarmory harder.

Ideally, Porygon2 should be used mid- to late-game after its checks have been softened or knocked out in order to avoid taking status or unnecessary damage and increase its chances of sweeping. Porygon2 can also set up if it is the last Pokemon left on the team because it won't be able to be phazed by Roar or Whirlwind users like Steelix and Skarmory and can threaten the freeze if a Normal-resistant Pokemon tries to set up Curse alongside it. Recover's massive PP allows Porygon2 to go toe-to-toe with Raikou and Zapdos as well, a feat that shouldn't be overlooked.

Team Options
========

Partners such as Machamp, Marowak, and Rhydon can help weaken or take out the Steel-type Pokemon that are not threatened by any of Porygon2's moves. If Porygon2 is running Thunderbolt, partners that can deal with Marowak and Rhydon such as Starmie, Suicune, and Exeggutor are needed. Umbreon and Miltank also stop Porygon2 dead in its tracks, so teammates like Machamp and Heracross are appreciated. Porygon2 also appreciates Thunder Wave support from Pokemon such as Zapdos and Starmie. Heal Bell support from Blissey and Miltank can also be run to help with status conditions, but then Porygon2's team will require a solid Machamp answer such as Starmie or Alakazam. Snorlax can also make a good teammate, as mixed sets can lure Porygon2's counters and potentially knock them out, or it can remove them with Self-Destruct, giving Porygon2 better opportunities to sweep.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

It is rather difficult to recommend anything over the standard sets because Porygon2's functionality is already severely limited by the obligation to run a Normal-type STAB attack, Recover, and Ice Beam on every set. Tri Attack is another alternate recoil-less STAB move that can possibly burn, paralyze, or freeze the foe, but the status inflicted is random, Thunder Wave is a more consistent option to paralyze the foe, and Return and Double-Edge are much more powerful. Toxic can be used to help pressure Pokemon like Cloyster, Snorlax, Machamp, and even Heal Bell users like Miltank, but it is useless against Steel-types like Forretress and Skarmory, unlike Thunder Wave. Thief can also be used to steal the foe's item. However, this move is very weak and is an inferior support move compared to Thunder Wave. Reflect can also be used to increase Porygon2's team's Defense for 5 turns.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Phazers**: Pokemon such as Tyranitar, Skarmory, and Steelix can easily stop the Curse set by phazing it with Roar and Whirlwind. Skarmory and Steelix can poison Porygon2 with Toxic, beating it and shutting it down. Steelix can also take Porygon2 out with Explosion, although it is not an ideal matchup. Tyranitar can beat Porygon2 with Toxic, Crunch, Dynamic Punch, or its Curse + Roar set. Raikou can only beat Porygon2 with Reflect and Roar, so it is a shaky check at best.

**Cloyster and Forretress** These two Pokemon set up Spikes in front of Porygon2 and then poison it with Toxic or take it out with Explosion. Cloyster doesn't want to take a potential Thunder, however.

**Defensive Pokemon**: Pokemon such as Miltank and Umbreon can stomach an unboosted Return, heal off the damage, and lower Porygon2's Attack with Growl and Charm. Miltank in particular can heal the damage done with Milk Drink and Porygon2's Thunder Waves with Heal Bell. If Porygon2 lacks Ice Beam, Exeggutor can also be a problem, as it can shut down Porygon2 with Sleep Powder and use Leech Seed or Giga Drain to recover the damage done to it. Misdreavus tanks any of Porygon2's attacks and threatens to Perish Trap it or inflict status on it.

**Machamp** Machamp is one of the best checks to Porygon2 because it can stomach Porygon2's moves and 2HKO it with Cross Chop. However, when switching in, Machamp should try to time its entry on a turn that Porygon2 is using Recover or Ice Beam, as it takes hefty damage from Double-Edge and does not want to get paralyzed by Thunder Wave.

**Status Conditions**: Although Porygon2 has access to Recover, it is shut down by common Toxic users such as Cloyster, Umbreon, and Forretress, as the status condition's residual damage stacks up over time and limits the amount of time Porygon2 can sweep. Paralysis is also annoying for Porygon2 because it cannot use Recover to heal itself if it gets fully paralyzed.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[JustoonSmitts, 239732]]
- Quality checked by: [[Lavos, 129513], [Earthworm, 15210]]
- Grammar checked by: [[The Dutch Plumberjack, 232216], [Rabia, 336073]]

Last edited:

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Seems pretty bare-bones.

I think if a bona fide update to Pgon2 were to happen, Twave and Double-Edge would get treatments as standard moves, not OO/unmentioned. Pgon2 is great at Twave support as mentioned, and DE has a >80% chance to 3HKO Raikou and 4HKO Snorlax even without a boost, which actually makes it a pretty respectable attacking threat.

Also, what is this OO section? PsnCureBerry as a viable option over Leftovers? Really?

JustoonSmitts

Seems pretty bare-bones.

I think if a bona fide update to Pgon2 were to happen, Twave and Double-Edge would get treatments as standard moves, not OO/unmentioned. Pgon2 is great at Twave support as mentioned, and DE has a >80% chance to 3HKO Raikou and 4HKO Snorlax even without a boost, which actually makes it a pretty respectable attacking threat.

Also, what is this OO section? PsnCureBerry as a viable option over Leftovers? Really?
Implemented. Sorry about PsnCureBerry. Someone I know mentioned it.

Anyway, I'm actually going to put this back on WIP for a moment. I feel like Thunder Wave deserves it's own set since it functions differently from the Curse set.

[OVERVIEW]
However, Porygon2's less than stellar Speed means that it is often outpaced by faster threats such as Tyranitar, Umbreon, and Miltank.
This sounds off. These Pokemon are decent against Porygon2 (although they risk being frozen or paralysed and can struggle to KO it depending on set) but the speed is not a huge factor, especially since P2 is most likely going to be TWave or Curse anyway. Instead of this, I think it would be better to emphasise its massive susceptibility to status, its lack of super effective coverage sometimes causing it issues, and perhaps how its overlap with Snorlax affects its viability.

[SET]
move 1: Thunder Wave
move 2: Return / Thunderbolt
Everyone I have asked has agreed with me that this set should be TWave / Thunder, Double-Edge, Ice Beam, Recover. TWave is definitely the main option here but Thunder is viable for Cloyster, Skarmory, etc.

Thunder Wave Porygon2 can function throughout the game by keeping itself healthy with Leftovers and Recover.
This sentence doesn't say much, it should be changed to explain the synergy between TWave and Recover.
It also can use Thunderbolt to make the infamous BoltBeam combo that hits almost everything in OU for at least neutral damage. Return is that STAB move of choice in this set, as it has consistent attacking power.
This part will need changing or removal if you change the set per my suggestion.

Team Options
========

Pokemon such as Raikou, Gengar, and Starmie greatly love that Porygon2 can spread paralysis easily so that they can focus on cleaning late-game without worrying about being outsped themselves.
This is weird, why would the fastest common Pokemon worry about being outsped? Gengar would like the other two paralysed but these don't seem like the teammates that should be mentioned here.
Tyranitar can also help Porygon2 deal with Gengar and Misdreavus by Pursuit trapping them, otherwise they can Perish Trap Porygon2 easily.
Gengar very rarely uses Perish Trap. It also hates TWave and takes a decent chunk from Ice Beam. TTar also compounds a fighting weakness even more, assuming you also have Snorlax. I am not sure about this sentence.
Machamp also makes a good partner for Porygon2 because it can take out defensive Pokemon such as Blissey, Umbreon, and Miltank, which all take little damage for Porygon2's BoltBeam coverage.
This should be reworded since usually these Pokemon will switch out of Machamp. However, Machamp may still be a useful teammate.

Set 2
Thunderbolt is another option for the fourth move to hit Skarmory, Starmie, and Suicune harder.
Cloyster is probably the most noteworthy target.

Team Options
========
If Porygon2 is running Thunderbolt, then partners that can deal with Marowak or Rhydon or such as Starmie, Suicune, and Exeggutor are needed.
Steelix and Rhydon are the Pokemon to mention here. Please remove the extra "or" as well.

Meanwhile, if Porygon2 opts to run Ice Beam, then it needs teammates that can deal with Reflect Starmie and Exeggutor such as Zapdos, Raikou, or Heracross.
I don't think I have ever seen a Reflect Starmie in GSC. The Starmie analysis needs a revamp too it looks like.
Porygon2 also appreciates Thunder Wave support from Pokemon such as Zapdos, Raikou, and Starmie and Spikes support from Pokemon like Cloyster and Forretress. Baton Pass support from Pokemon like Scizor or Smeargle can make Porygon2 even more threatening.
Raikou doesn't learn Thunder Wave. Spikes support is appreciated by literally every Pokemon, so you should at least explain why. Porygon2 is far from a good Speed or Attack boost receiver.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Reflect can help buffer Porygon2's team's Defense stat for five turns, but Starmie outclasses this set thanks to its much better Speed tier and defensive type.
Reflect Starmie never gets used. Reflect should also be one of the last options mentioned in my opinion.
Porygon2 could also utilize Sharpen to boost its Attack without making it slower, but Curse is far better thanks to the Defense boost that comes with raising its offenses. Porygon2 could also opt for Substitute to protect itself from attacks and status conditions. Substitute also gives Porygon2 a safety net to boost with Curse and it can use the move multiple times thanks to Recover. However, using Substitute means that Porygon2 has to sacrifice a coverage move, allowing more Pokemon to potentially wall Porygon2. Curse RestTalk is another option Porygon2 can try so that it can take status conditions better, but Snorlax directly outclasses this set.
These options all sound awful to me, unless anyone else objects I would suggest not mentioning them.
Porygon2 can also run a set with Double-Edge/ Ice Beam / Thunderbolt / Recover that can hit a wide amount of targets thanks to its good mixed offenses.
This can be removed if the set changes are made.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Phasers**: Pokemon such as Raikou, Tyranitar, Skarmory, and Steelix can easily stop the Curse set by phasing it out with Roar and Whirlwind. Outside of Explosion from Steelix, these Pokemon cannot do much else to Porygon2.
Raikou can only handle P2 if it has Reflect, and it's not ideal to do so with Raikou. Also, Tyranitar can potentially beat it with CurseRoar, Toxic, DPunch, or Crunch. Skarnory can beat or shut it down if it has Toxic. Steelix is not completely screwed without exploding either, although it's not a good matchup.

**Defensive Pokemon**: Pokemon such as Miltank and Umbreon can also stomach an unboosted Return, heal off the damage, and lower Porygon2's Attack with Growl or Charm. Umbreon, in particular, can stall Porygon2 out of battle by trapping it with Mean Look, poisoning it with Toxic, lower its Attack with Charm, and heal off any damage done with Rest. Reflect users such as Starmie can also buffer their teams Defense, nullifying the boost that Porygon2 gains with Curse. If it lacks Ice Beam, Exeggutor can also be a problem, as it can shut down Porygon2 with Sleep Powder and use Leech Seed or Giga Drain to recover the damage done to it.
Please remove Starmie. Mention Heal Bell Miltank curing P2's twaves. ML Umbreon is rarely used without BP and therefore rarely has Toxic.

I think in the Toxic section you should mention some common Toxic users that beat it easily (Forretress, Cloyster, etc).

In addition to the above suggested changes, I think there is more analysis of P2's niche in the meta that should be added. It should be mentioned that it can be difficult to deal with due to its coverage, mixed damage, and decent power + status, while at the same time being difficult to take out due to its bulk and Recover. Its matchups against the top Pokemon (Snorlax, Raikou, Zapdos, Cloyster) definitely need to be at least briefly mentioned, especially in/about the first set. There is probably more to mention but I can't think of anything right now.

Last edited:

JustoonSmitts

This sounds off. These Pokemon are decent against Porygon2 (although they risk being frozen or paralysed and can struggle to KO it depending on set) but the speed is not a huge factor, especially since P2 is most likely going to be TWave or Curse anyway. Instead of this, I think it would be better to emphasise its massive susceptibility to status, its lack of super effective coverage sometimes causing it issues, and perhaps how its overlap with Snorlax affects its viability.

Everyone I have asked has agreed with me that this set should be TWave / Thunder, Double-Edge, Ice Beam, Recover. TWave is definitely the main option here but Thunder is viable for Cloyster, Skarmory, etc.

This sentence doesn't say much, it should be changed to explain the synergy between TWave and Recover.

This part will need changing or removal if you change the set per my suggestion.

Team Options
========

This is weird, why would the fastest common Pokemon worry about being outsped? Gengar would like the other two paralysed but these don't seem like the teammates that should be mentioned here.

Gengar very rarely uses Perish Trap. It also hates TWave and takes a decent chunk from Ice Beam. TTar also compounds a fighting weakness even more, assuming you also have Snorlax. I am not sure about this sentence.

This should be reworded since usually these Pokemon will switch out of Machamp. However, Machamp may still be a useful teammate.

Cloyster is probably the most noteworthy target.

Steelix and Rhydon are the Pokemon to mention here. Please remove the extra "or" as well.

I don't think I have ever seen a Reflect Starmie in GSC. The Starmie analysis needs a revamp too it looks like.

Raikou doesn't learn Thunder Wave. Spikes support is appreciated by literally every Pokemon, so you should at least explain why. Porygon2 is far from a good Speed or Attack boost receiver.

Reflect Starmie never gets used. Reflect should also be one of the last options mentioned in my opinion.

These options all sound awful to me, unless anyone else objects I would suggest not mentioning them.

This can be removed if the set changes are made.

Raikou can only handle P2 if it has Reflect, and it's not ideal to do so with Raikou. Also, Tyranitar can potentially beat it with CurseRoar, Toxic, DPunch, or Crunch. Skarnory can beat or shut it down if it has Toxic. Steelix is not completely screwed without exploding either, although it's not a good matchup.

Please remove Starmie. Mention Heal Bell Miltank curing P2's twaves. ML Umbreon is rarely used without BP and therefore rarely has Toxic.

I think in the Toxic section you should mention some common Toxic users that beat it easily (Forretress, Cloyster, etc).

In addition to the above suggested changes, I think there is more analysis of P2's niche in the meta that should be added. It should be mentioned that it can be difficult to deal with due to its coverage, mixed damage, and decent power + status, while at the same time being difficult to take out due to its bulk and Recover. Its matchups against the top Pokemon (Snorlax, Raikou, Zapdos, Cloyster) definitely need to be at least briefly mentioned, especially in/about the first set. There is probably more to mention but I can't think of anything right now.
Thank you for all the feedback, Earthworm. Everything's been implemented. :blobthumbsup:

Lavos

Banned deucer.
Looks really good! I would mention in Other Options that it's difficult to recommend anything else for Porygon2 because its functionality is already severely limited by being obligated to pack normal STAB + Recover + Ice Beam on every set. So I don't think Thief/Toxic/anything else would ever be worth using even if it's a nice surprise factor. I'm glad you included Tri Attack, it's somewhat low damage but random burns and freezes are fun.

QC stamp of approval.

JustoonSmitts

Looks really good! I would mention in Other Options that it's difficult to recommend anything else for Porygon2 because its functionality is already severely limited by being obligated to pack normal STAB + Recover + Ice Beam on every set. So I don't think Thief/Toxic/anything else would ever be worth using even if it's a nice surprise factor. I'm glad you included Tri Attack, it's somewhat low damage but random burns and freezes are fun.

QC stamp of approval.
Thanks, Lavos. Made the small changes and ready for the last check. :blobthumbsup:

It's all of these attributes that allow Porygon2 to have great matchups with top-tier Pokemon such as Snorlax, Raikou, and Starmie.
I know I suggested mentioning the matchups against Snorlax, Zapdos, Raikou, and Cloyster, but I don't think it is really accurate to say that it has a great matchup against Snorlax, nor is its Starmie matchup relevant here. It might be better to say "Its well-rounded stats, great movepool, and consistent damage output can make even top Pokemon like Snorlax, Zapdos, and Raikou think twice about taking it on."

Thunder Wave set:
The content here is accurate. Things to potentially add: the combination of TWave and Recover can allow P2 to stay healthy by repeatedly using Recover until the opponent FPs. Ice beam 3HKOs Zapdos. It can also be used to whittle down or attempt to freeze Pokemon like Tyranitar, Miltank, and Umbreon that can shut down Double-Edge. Without Thunder, P2 deals very little to cloyster/forretress, although paralysing them is not that bad.
Teammates section looks good.

Curse set:
This looks good. Some of what you have written is very basic game knowledge with not much useful insight, but that's GPers' job to address.

Other options:
Despite what Lavos said I would suggest mentioning Thief and Toxic before Reflect. They are all decent options for the filler slot, albeit usually less effective ones.

Checks & Counters:
Please add Cloyster and Forretress here as their own section. Add exploders as an option here too, they are often what ends up killing it. Add Machamp as a check. Add paralysis as being very annoying for it as well, because it can't spam Recover nearly as well if it's risking FPs every turn.

After you've implemented or otherwise addressed these points I'll look again and provide the last stamp of approval if it looks ready.

Last edited:

JustoonSmitts

I know I suggested mentioning the matchups against Snorlax, Zapdos, Raikou, and Cloyster, but I don't think it is really accurate to say that it has a great matchup against Snorlax, nor is its Starmie matchup relevant here. It might be better to say "Its well-rounded stats, great movepool, and consistent damage output can make even top Pokemon like Snorlax, Zapdos, and Raikou think twice about taking it on."

Thunder Wave set:
The content here is accurate. Things to potentially add: the combination of TWave and Recover can allow P2 to stay healthy by repeatedly using Recover until the opponent FPs. Ice beam 3HKOs Zapdos. It can also be used to whittle down or attempt to freeze Pokemon like Tyranitar, Miltank, and Umbreon that can shut down Double-Edge. Without Thunder, P2 deals very little to cloyster/forretress, although paralysing them is not that bad.
Teammates section looks good.

Curse set:
This looks good. Some of what you have written is very basic game knowledge with not much useful insight, but that's GPers' job to address.

Other options:
Despite what Lavos said I would suggest mentioning Thief and Toxic before Reflect. They are all decent options for the filler slot, albeit usually less effective ones.

Checks & Counters:
Please add Cloyster and Forretress here as their own section. Add exploders as an option here too, they are often what ends up killing it. Add Machamp as a check. Add paralysis as being very annoying for it as well, because it can't spam Recover nearly as well if it's risking FPs every turn.

After you've implemented or otherwise addressed these points I'll look again and provide the last stamp of approval if it looks ready.
Everything's been implemented, Earthworm. Thank you for looking at it again. :)

Fear

GSC Monarch
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
On the second set specifically:
Double-Edge is a much stronger option that has an 80% chance to 3HKO Raikou and 4HKO Snorlax, even before the boost. Even though Double-Edge causes recoil, Porygon2 can heal its recoil with Recover and its Leftovers. Porygon2's base 105 Special Attack is what separates it from its fellow Curse users, as it can hurt physically defensive Pokemon hard with the right moves.
This is a bit redundant, the strengths of the curse set lie within recover's PP /w the defense boosts and not actually coverage from 105 special attack.
DE and return unboosted comparison are not as relevant here because of curse boosting up attack(instant attacking is better done by set 1).
Main use of return over de is pp and preserving hp vs another curser(relevant vs lax and skarmory if using ice beam), main usage of DE is better synergy with team utilities such as status spread and spike

on checks and counters:
-instead of **toxic* it should be 'status' as both toxic and paralysis are cripling for it. Thats why its better suited lategame, and not early, you dont want to tank thunders from elecs until a few mons are remaining on the field. Paralysis is mentioned in the description but Status should be the headline.
-Misdreavus should be mentioned in checks/counters,bulkiness to tank special attacks and threatens it back with status with Thunder/Toxic.
-Machamp standalone isnt too great because p2 outspeeds and 3hko's with spike, probably a mention on its need to manuever into recovers as well as its ability to 2hko *after* +1 curse (and also OHKO through the crit chance).

Round 3 of minor nitpicks and changes:
Machamp can also take out defensive Pokemon such as Blissey, Umbreon, and Miltank, which all take little damage for Porygon2's moves.
Blissey probably shouldn't be here, it can easily get FPed and die since it gets 3HKOed.

Pokemon like Starmie, Vaporeon, and Suicune can also help Porygon2 by threatening Steelix, which takes little damage from Porygon2's Ice Beam.
I personally think Suicune is not an ideal partner, nor does it benefit as much from Thunder Wave support. Starmie and Vap both like Cloyster/Electrics being paralyzed, whereas Toxic Suicune doesn't benefit as much, and I'm not sure Suicune will fit well on a (TWave) P2 team in general either. If anyone reading this disagrees, let me know. (Also, no changes required because of this, but I think Steelix v P2 is probably a draw on average, since four Ice Beams is ~50% likely to either crit or freeze at least once, but Steelix can just explode. And since Steelix is probably the more defensively critical piece, it might work out unfavourably for the Steelix. Nevertheless, I think having a Water-type partner is a good choice, especially Starmie or Cloyster.)

Heal Bell support from Blissey and Miltank can also be run to help with status conditions, but then Porygon2's team will require a solid Machamp answer such as Starmie or Alakazam.
This belongs in the teammate sections.

I also want to recommend mentioning Snorlax variants as a teammate for the Curse set that can lure in counters to P2 and either LK them or boom on them, which could put P2 in a better position to sweep.

It's Recover's PP alongside it's Defense boosts is what separates Porygon2 from other Curse users.
Needs more elaboration -- mention that it can Curse alongside and then PP stall standard Double-Edge Curselax and beat it as long as it doesn't get crit multiple times in short succession. (although it must beware of LK Curselax)

Thunderbolt is another option for the fourth move to hit Cloyster, Skarmory, and Starmie harder.
Remove Starmie from here, +1 normal attacks do enough.

Toxic can be used to catch bulky Pokemon such as Miltank, Blissey, and Umbreon off guard.
I think you want to say it can be used to help pressure Pokemon like Cloyster, Snorlax, Machamp, Tyranitar, and even Heal Bellers like Miltank, but is useless against Steel-types like Forretress and Skarmory, unlike Thunder Wave.

Cloyster and Forretress** These two Pokemon take very little from Porygon2's moves and can set up Spikes in front of it or Explode on it. Neither of them want to take a potential Thunder, however.
This should read "set up Spikes in front of it and then poison it with Toxic or explode on it". Also, Forretress will probably be okay with taking a Thunder from P2 in exchange for Spikes. Just mention Cloyster in that sentence.

Reflect users such as Raikou can also buffer their teams Defense, nullifying the boost that Porygon2 gains with Curse.
You mentioned Reflect Raikou already, probably don't need to restate it here.

Misdreavus tanks any of Porygon2's attacks and threatens it back with with status from Thunder or Toxic.
..and threatens to Perish Trap it or inflict status on it. would probably be better.

Machamp does not want to directly switch into Porygon2, as an unboosted Double-Edge 3HKOs Machamp nor does it want to be paralyzed by Thunder Wave.
maybe change to "However, when switching in, Machamp should try to time its entry on a turn that Porygon2 is using Recover or Ice Beam, as it takes hefty damage from Double-Edge and does not want to get paralyzed by Thunder Wave."

I'm pretty sure these will be the last set of changes I suggest. Once these are implemented you can consider it QCed.

Last edited:

JustoonSmitts

Round 3 of minor nitpicks and changes:

Blissey probably shouldn't be here, it can easily get FPed and die since it gets 3HKOed.

I personally think Suicune is not an ideal partner, nor does it benefit as much from Thunder Wave support. Starmie and Vap both like Cloyster/Electrics being paralyzed, whereas Toxic Suicune doesn't benefit as much, and I'm not sure Suicune will fit well on a (TWave) P2 team in general either. If anyone reading this disagrees, let me know. (Also, no changes required because of this, but I think Steelix v P2 is probably a draw on average, since four Ice Beams is ~50% likely to either crit or freeze at least once, but Steelix can just explode. And since Steelix is probably the more defensively critical piece, it might work out unfavourably for the Steelix. Nevertheless, I think having a Water-type partner is a good choice, especially Starmie or Cloyster.)

This belongs in the teammate sections.

I also want to recommend mentioning Snorlax variants as a teammate for the Curse set that can lure in counters to P2 and either LK them or boom on them, which could put P2 in a better position to sweep.

Needs more elaboration -- mention that it can Curse alongside and then PP stall standard Double-Edge Curselax and beat it as long as it doesn't get crit multiple times in short succession. (although it must beware of LK Curselax)

Remove Starmie from here, +1 normal attacks do enough.

I think you want to say it can be used to help pressure Pokemon like Cloyster, Snorlax, Machamp, Tyranitar, and even Heal Bellers like Miltank, but is useless against Steel-types like Forretress and Skarmory, unlike Thunder Wave.

This should read "set up Spikes in front of it and then poison it with Toxic or explode on it". Also, Forretress will probably be okay with taking a Thunder from P2 in exchange for Spikes. Just mention Cloyster in that sentence.

You mentioned Reflect Raikou already, probably don't need to restate it here.

..and threatens to Perish Trap it or inflict status on it. would probably be better.

maybe change to "However, when switching in, Machamp should try to time its entry on a turn that Porygon2 is using Recover or Ice Beam, as it takes hefty damage from Double-Edge and does not want to get paralyzed by Thunder Wave."

I'm pretty sure these will be the last set of changes I suggest. Once these are implemented you can consider it QCed.
Thank you, Earthworm! GP ready, then.

Fear

GSC Monarch
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Much better, the counter section is pretty much ready,
I still disagree with the curse set's description, as the set is not explained properly enough. For this, I typed an indicative fix in order to give a description that highlights his usage using sections of the existing one:

Porygon2's above average high stats, typing and access to recover makes a curse set not only viable but also quite distinctive. The combination of boosting his physical stats and Recover's 32pp allows it to combat and often beat Curse Snorlax and other curse boosters conviniently. Boosted Stab D-E hits like a truck against non resist targets, and should be the choice if the team Porygon2 is in provides him with paralysis or poison support. Return is slightly weaker than Double-Edge, but it has the benefit of a recoil free STAB,more pp and functions better at protecting your life points when trading blows against its opponents, further enhacing his potential to win off via stall. Ice beam rounds up coverage and is often the prefered fourth move, as it can hurt Pokemon that resist his normal stab such as Steelix, Rhydon, or Misdreavus. In addition it provides a juicy 10% freeze chance further solidifying his offensive tools against other cursers. Thunderbolt is another option for the fourth move to hit Cloyster, Forretress, and Skarmory harder.

Ideally, this Porygon2 should be used mid- to late- game after its checks have been softened or knocked out in order to avoid taking status or unnecessary damage in order increase his chances of pulling of a sweep. Porygon2 can also set up if it is the last Pokemon left on the team, so that it is not phased out by Roar or Whirlwind users like Steelix or Skarmory, and threaten the freeze if normal resist pokemon try to curse alongside it. Recover's massive PP allows Porygon2 to go toe to toe with Electric legends as well, a feat that shouldnt be overlooked.

JustoonSmitts

Much better, the counter section is pretty much ready,
I still disagree with the curse set's description, as the set is not explained properly enough. For this, I typed an indicative fix in order to give a description that highlights his usage using sections of the existing one:

Porygon2's above average high stats, typing and access to recover makes a curse set not only viable but also quite distinctive. The combination of boosting his physical stats and Recover's 32pp allows it to combat and often beat Curse Snorlax and other curse boosters conviniently. Boosted Stab D-E hits like a truck against non resist targets, and should be the choice if the team Porygon2 is in provides him with paralysis or poison support. Return is slightly weaker than Double-Edge, but it has the benefit of a recoil free STAB,more pp and functions better at protecting your life points when trading blows against its opponents, further enhacing his potential to win off via stall. Ice beam rounds up coverage and is often the prefered fourth move, as it can hurt Pokemon that resist his normal stab such as Steelix, Rhydon, or Misdreavus. In addition it provides a juicy 10% freeze chance further solidifying his offensive tools against other cursers. Thunderbolt is another option for the fourth move to hit Cloyster, Forretress, and Skarmory harder.

Ideally, this Porygon2 should be used mid- to late- game after its checks have been softened or knocked out in order to avoid taking status or unnecessary damage in order increase his chances of pulling of a sweep. Porygon2 can also set up if it is the last Pokemon left on the team, so that it is not phased out by Roar or Whirlwind users like Steelix or Skarmory, and threaten the freeze if normal resist pokemon try to curse alongside it. Recover's massive PP allows Porygon2 to go toe to toe with Electric legends as well, a feat that shouldnt be overlooked.
My bad Fear. I implemented this on the road in New York and forgot to update you.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 1/2
[OVERVIEW]

Porygon2 is one of the most versatile Normal-types in GSC OU thanks to its fantastic stats and movepool. It can be difficult to deal with thanks to its wide coverage options, mixed damage, decent power, and ability to spread status with Thunder Wave while also being difficult to take out because of as well as its solid bulk and access to Recover. Porygon2 especially shines as a Thunder Wave user thanks to its ability to nail Ground-type switch-ins (AH) with Ice Beam. It also makes for a decent Curse user because it can recover its health without being forced to fall asleep, as well as hitting Pokemon that resist its Normal-type STAB moves with Ice Beam thanks to its good Special Attack stat. Its well-rounded stats, great movepool, and consistent damage output can make even top Pokemon like Snorlax, Zapdos, and Raikou think twice about taking it on. However, despite access to Recover, Porygon2 is extremely vulnerable to status conditions, especially poison from Toxic poison. Porygon2's lack of super effective coverage against threats such as Tyranitar, Umbreon, and Miltank can also give it issues. As a Curse sweeper, Porygon2 is outclassed by Snorlax thanks to its the latter's much better offensive and defensive stats.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

Porygon2 is one of the best Thunder Wave users in the game because it has good mixed offenses and coverage while also being difficult to take down thanks to its good defenses and Recover to keep itself healthy and continue spamming Thunder Wave. Double-Edge is Porygon2's strongest STAB attack, as it can 3HKO Raikou and 4HKO Snorlax. While Thunder Wave is the first move of choice, Porygon2 can instead use Thunder to hit Pokemon such as Cloyster, Skarmory, and Forretress. Without Thunder, Porygon2 cannot touch these Pokemon, but though paralyzing them isn't bad either. Ice Beam deals with any Ground-type such as Steelix, Marowak, or Rhydon that tries to switch into Thunder Wave. It also 3HKOs 3HKOes Zapdos and can be used to chip or freeze Tyranitar, Miltank, and Umbreon, which all otherwise stomach Double-Edge.

Team Options
========

Pokemon such as Marowak, Machamp, and offensive Cloyster greatly love that Porygon2's ability to can spread paralysis easily so that they can focus on cleaning late-game without worrying about being outsped themselves. Machamp can also take out defensive Pokemon such as Umbreon and Miltank, which all take little damage for Porygon2's moves. Pokemon like Starmie, Cloyster, and Vaporeon appreciate Porygon2's support from Thunder Wave and can also help Porygon2 by threatening Steelix, which takes little damage from Double-Edge (RC) but is chipped by Ice Beam. Porygon2's or theirs?) Electric-types like Raikou, Zapdos, and Jolteon appreciate Porygon2's ability to threaten Ground-type Pokemon like Rhydon and Marowak.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

Porygon2's above average high stats, typing, (AC) and access to Recover makes make a Curse set not only viable but also quite distinctive. The combination of boosting its physical stats and Recover's 32(space)PP allows it to combat and often beat Curse Snorlax and other Curse boosters conviniently conveniently. Boosted STAB Double-Edge hits like a truck against non resist targets that don't resist it (RC) and should be the choice if the team Porygon2 is in on a team that provides it with paralysis or poison support. Return is slightly weaker than Double-Edge, but it has the benefit of a recoil-free (AH) STAB attack (RC) and more PP, and functions better at preserving its HP when trading blows against its opponents, (covered by recoil-free p sure?) further enhacing enhancing its potential to win off via stall. Ice Beam rounds up its out Porygon2's coverage and is often the prefered preferred fourth move, as it can hurt Pokemon that resist its Normal-type STAB attacks such as Steelix, Rhydon, or and Misdreavus. It also provides a 10% chance to freeze the opponent opposing Pokemon, further solidifying its offensive tools against other Curse users. Thunderbolt is another option for the fourth move to hit Cloyster, Forretress, and Skarmory harder.

Ideally, this Porygon2 should be used mid- to late- game after its checks have been softened or knocked out in order to avoid taking status or unnecessary damage in order increase its chances of pulling of a sweep. Porygon2 can also set up if it is the last Pokemon left on the team (RC) so that it is not phased out phazed by Roar or Whirlwind users like Steelix or and Skarmory (RC) and can threaten the freeze if a Normal-resistant Pokemon tries to set up Curse alongside it. Recover's massive PP allows Porygon2 to go toe-to-toe (AH) with the Electric-type legends Raikou and Zapdos as well, a feat that shouldn't be overlooked.

Team Options
========

Partners such as Machamp, Marowak, and Rhydon can help weaken or take out the Steel-type Pokemon that are not threatened by any of Porygon2's moves. If Porygon2 is running Thunderbolt, then partners that can deal with Marowak or Rhydon or such as Starmie, Suicune, and Exeggutor are needed. Umbreon and Miltank also stop Porygon2 dead in its tracks, so teammates like Machamp and Heracross are appreciated. Porygon2 also appreciates Thunder Wave support from Pokemon such as Zapdos and Starmie. Heal Bell support from Blissey and Miltank can also be run to help with status conditions, but then Porygon2's team will require a solid Machamp answer such as Starmie or Alakazam. Snorlax can also make a good teammate, (AC) as MixLax mixed sets can lure Porygon2's counters and potentially knock them out, (AC) or it can remove them with Self-Destruct on them, giving Porygon2 better opportunities to sweep.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

It is rather difficult to recommend anything over the standard sets because Porygon2's functionality is already severely limited by being obligated the obligation to run a Normal STAB attack, Recover, and Ice Beam on every set. Tri Attack is another alternate recoil-less STAB that can possibly burn, paralyze, or freeze the opponent, but the status inflicted is random, Thunder Wave is a more consistent option to paralyze the opponent, and Return and Double-Edge are much more powerful. Toxic can be used to help pressure Pokemon like Cloyster, Snorlax, Machamp, and even Heal Bellers Bell users like Miltank, but it is useless against Steel-types like Forretress and Skarmory, unlike Thunder Wave. Thief can also be used to steal the foe's item. However, this move is very weak and is an inferior support move compared to Thunder Wave. Reflect can also be used to increase Porygon2's team's Defense for 5 turns.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Phasers Phazers**: Pokemon such as Tyranitar, Skarmory, and Steelix can easily stop the Curse set by phasing out Porygon2 phazing it with Roar or Whirlwind. Skarmory and Steelix can poison Porygon2 with Toxic, beating and shutting it down. Steelix can also Explode on take Porygon2 out with Explosion, although it is not an ideal matchup. Tyranitar can also beat Porygon2 with Toxic, Crunch, Dynamic Punch, or its Curse + Roar set. Raikou can only beat Porygon2 with Reflect and Roar, but so it is a shaky check at best.

**Cloyster and Forretress** These two Pokemon set up Spikes in front of Porygon2 and then poison it with Toxic or explode on take it out with Explosion. Cloister Cloyster doesn't want to take a potential Thunder, however.

**Defensive Pokemon**: Pokemon such as Miltank and Umbreon can also stomach an unboosted Return, heal off the damage, and lower Porygon2's Attack with Growl or Charm. Miltank in particular can heal the damage done with Milk Drink and heal Porygon2's Thunder Waves with Heal Bell. If it Porygon2 lacks Ice Beam, Exeggutor can also be a problem, as it can shut down Porygon2 with Sleep Powder and use Leech Seed or Giga Drain to recover the damage done to it. Misdreavus tanks any of Porygon2's attacks and threatens to Perish Trap it or inflict status on it.

**Machamp** Machamp is one of the best checks to Porygon2 because it can stomach Porygon2's moves and can 2HKO it with Cross Chop. However, when switching in, Machamp should try to time its entry on a turn that Porygon2 is using Recover or Ice Beam, as it takes hefty damage from Double-Edge and does not want to get paralyzed by Thunder Wave.

**Status Conditions**: Although Porygon2 has access to Recover, (AC) it is shut down by common Toxic users such as Cloyster, Umbreon, and Forretress, as the status condition's residual damage stacks up over time and limits the amount of time Porygon2 can sweep. Paralysis is also annoying for Porygon2 because it cannot use Recover to heal itself if it gets fully paralyzed.

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[, ], [, ]]

JustoonSmitts

remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 1/2
[OVERVIEW]

Porygon2 is one of the most versatile Normal-types in GSC OU thanks to its fantastic stats and movepool. It can be difficult to deal with thanks to its wide coverage options, mixed damage, decent power, and ability to spread status with Thunder Wave as well as its solid bulk and access to Recover. Porygon2 especially shines as a Thunder Wave user thanks to its ability to nail Ground-type switch-ins with Ice Beam. It also makes for a decent Curse user because it can recover its health without being forced to fall asleep, as well as hitting Pokemon that resist its Normal-type STAB moves with Ice Beam thanks to its good Special Attack stat. Its well-rounded stats, great movepool, and consistent damage output can make even top Pokemon like Snorlax, Zapdos, and Raikou think twice about taking it on. However, despite access to Recover, Porygon2 is extremely vulnerable to status conditions, especially Toxic poison. Porygon2's lack of super effective coverage against threats such as Tyranitar, Umbreon, and Miltank can also give it issues. As a Curse sweeper, Porygon2 is outclassed by Snorlax thanks to the latter's much better offensive and defensive stats.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

Porygon2 is one of the best Thunder Wave users in the game because it has good mixed offenses and coverage while also being difficult to take down thanks to its good defenses and Recover to keep itself healthy and continue spamming Thunder Wave. Double-Edge is Porygon2's strongest STAB attack, as it can 3HKO Raikou and 4HKO Snorlax. While Thunder Wave is the first move of choice, Porygon2 can instead use Thunder to hit Pokemon such as Cloyster, Skarmory, and Forretress. Without Thunder, Porygon2 cannot touch these Pokemon, though paralyzing them isn't bad either. Ice Beam deals with any Ground-type such as Steelix, Marowak, or Rhydon that tries to switch into Thunder Wave. It also 3HKOes Zapdos and can be used to chip or freeze Tyranitar, Miltank, and Umbreon, which all otherwise stomach Double-Edge.

Team Options
========

Pokemon such as Marowak, Machamp, and offensive Cloyster love Porygon2's ability to spread paralysis easily so that they can focus on cleaning late-game without worrying about being outsped themselves. Machamp can also take out defensive Pokemon such as Umbreon and Miltank, which all take little damage for Porygon2's moves. Pokemon like Starmie, Cloyster, and Vaporeon appreciate Porygon2's support from Thunder Wave and can also help Porygon2 by threatening Steelix, which takes little damage from Double-Edge but is chipped by Porygon2's Ice Beam. Electric-types like Raikou, Zapdos, and Jolteon appreciate Porygon2's ability to threaten Ground-type Pokemon like Rhydon and Marowak.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

Porygon2's above average stats, typing, and access to Recover make a Curse set not only viable but also quite distinctive. The combination of boosting its physical stats and Recover's 32PP allows it to combat and often beat Curse Snorlax and other Curse boosters conveniently. Boosted STAB Double-Edge hits like a truck against targets that don't resist it and should be the choice if Porygon2 is on a team that provides it with paralysis or poison support. Return is slightly weaker than Double-Edge, but it has the benefit of a recoil-free STAB attack and more PP further enhancing its potential to win off via stall. Ice Beam rounds out Porygon2's coverage and is often the preferred fourth move, as it can hurt Pokemon that resist its Normal-type STAB attacks such as Steelix, Rhydon, and Misdreavus. It also provides a 10% chance to freeze the opposing Pokemon, further solidifying its offensive tools against other Curse users. Thunderbolt is another option for the fourth move to hit Cloyster, Forretress, and Skarmory harder.

Ideally, this Porygon2 should be used mid- to late- game after its checks have been softened or knocked out in order to avoid taking status or unnecessary damage in order increase its chances of pulling of a sweep. Porygon2 can also set up if it is the last Pokemon left on the team so that it is not phazed by Roar or Whirlwind users like Steelix and Skarmory and can threaten the freeze if a Normal-resistant Pokemon tries to set up Curse alongside it. Recover's massive PP allows Porygon2 to go toe-to-toe with the Electric-type legends Raikou and Zapdos as well, a feat that shouldn't be overlooked.

Team Options
========

Partners such as Machamp, Marowak, and Rhydon can help weaken or take out the Steel-type Pokemon that are not threatened by any of Porygon2's moves. If Porygon2 is running Thunderbolt, partners that can deal with Marowak or Rhydon such as Starmie, Suicune, and Exeggutor are needed. Umbreon and Miltank also stop Porygon2 dead in its tracks, so teammates like Machamp and Heracross are appreciated. Porygon2 also appreciates Thunder Wave support from Pokemon such as Zapdos and Starmie. Heal Bell support from Blissey and Miltank can also be run to help with status conditions, but then Porygon2's team will require a solid Machamp answer such as Starmie or Alakazam. Snorlax can also make a good teammate, as mixed sets can lure Porygon2's counters and potentially knock them out, or it can remove them with Self-Destruct, giving Porygon2 better opportunities to sweep.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

It is rather difficult to recommend anything over the standard sets because Porygon2's functionality is already severely limited by the obligation to run a Normal STAB attack, Recover, and Ice Beam on every set. Tri Attack is another alternate recoil-less STAB that can possibly burn, paralyze, or freeze the opponent, but the status inflicted is random, Thunder Wave is a more consistent option to paralyze the opponent, and Return and Double-Edge are much more powerful. Toxic can be used to help pressure Pokemon like Cloyster, Snorlax, Machamp, and even Heal Bell users like Miltank, but it is useless against Steel-types like Forretress and Skarmory, unlike Thunder Wave. Thief can also be used to steal the foe's item. However, this move is very weak and is an inferior support move compared to Thunder Wave. Reflect can also be used to increase Porygon2's team's Defense for 5 turns.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Phazers**: Pokemon such as Tyranitar, Skarmory, and Steelix can easily stop the Curse set by phazing it with Roar or Whirlwind. Skarmory and Steelix can poison Porygon2 with Toxic, beating and shutting it down. Steelix can also take Porygon2 out with Explosion, although it is not an ideal matchup. Tyranitar can beat Porygon2 with Toxic, Crunch, Dynamic Punch, or its Curse + Roar set. Raikou can only beat Porygon2 with Reflect and Roar, so it is a shaky check at best.

**Cloyster and Forretress** These two Pokemon set up Spikes in front of Porygon2 and then poison it with Toxic or take it out with Explosion. Cloyster doesn't want to take a potential Thunder, however.

**Defensive Pokemon**: Pokemon such as Miltank and Umbreon can stomach an unboosted Return, heal off the damage, and lower Porygon2's Attack with Growl or Charm. Miltank in particular can heal the damage done with Milk Drink and heal Porygon2's Thunder Waves with Heal Bell. If Porygon2 lacks Ice Beam, Exeggutor can also be a problem, as it can shut down Porygon2 with Sleep Powder and use Leech Seed or Giga Drain to recover the damage done to it. Misdreavus tanks any of Porygon2's attacks and threatens to Perish Trap it or inflict status on it.

**Machamp** Machamp is one of the best checks to Porygon2 because it can stomach Porygon2's moves and can 2HKO it with Cross Chop. However, when switching in, Machamp should try to time its entry on a turn that Porygon2 is using Recover or Ice Beam, as it takes hefty damage from Double-Edge and does not want to get paralyzed by Thunder Wave.

**Status Conditions**: Although Porygon2 has access to Recover, it is shut down by common Toxic users such as Cloyster, Umbreon, and Forretress, as the status condition's residual damage stacks up over time and limits the amount of time Porygon2 can sweep. Paralysis is also annoying for Porygon2 because it cannot use Recover to heal itself if it gets fully paralyzed.

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[The Dutch Plumberjack, 232216], [, ]]
Thank you, The Dutch Plumberjack. This was implemented.

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
[OVERVIEW]

Porygon2 is one of the most versatile Normal-types in GSC OU thanks to its fantastic stats and movepool. It can be difficult to deal with thanks to its wide coverage options, mixed damage, decent power, and ability to spread status with Thunder Wave as well as its solid bulk and access to Recover. Porygon2 especially shines as a Thunder Wave user thanks to its ability to nail Ground-type switch-ins with Ice Beam. It also makes for a decent Curse user because it can recover its health without being forced to fall asleep, as well as hitting Pokemon that resist its Normal-type STAB moves hard (no adjective makes this sentence read awkwardly) with Ice Beam thanks to its good Special Attack stat. Its well-rounded stats, great movepool, and consistent damage output can make even top Pokemon like Snorlax, Zapdos, and Raikou think twice about taking it on. However, despite access to Recover, Porygon2 is extremely vulnerable to status conditions, especially Toxic poison. Porygon2's lack of super effective coverage against threats such as Tyranitar, Umbreon, and Miltank can also give it issues. As a Curse sweeper, Porygon2 is outclassed by Snorlax thanks to the latter's much better offensive and defensive stats.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

Porygon2 is one of the best Thunder Wave users in the game because it has good mixed offenses and coverage while also being difficult to take down thanks to its good defenses and Recover to letting it keep itself healthy and continue spamming Thunder Wave. Double-Edge is Porygon2's strongest STAB attack, as and it can 3HKO Raikou and 4HKO Snorlax. While Thunder Wave is the first move of choice, Porygon2 can instead use Thunder to hit Pokemon such as Cloyster, Skarmory, and Forretress. Without Thunder, Porygon2 cannot touch these Pokemon, though paralyzing them isn't bad either. Ice Beam deals with any Ground-type such as Steelix, Marowak, or Rhydon that tries to switch into Thunder Wave. It also 3HKOes Zapdos and can be used to chip or freeze Tyranitar, Miltank, and Umbreon, which all otherwise stomach Double-Edge.

Team Options
========

Pokemon such as Marowak, Machamp, and offensive Cloyster love Porygon2's ability to spread paralysis easily so that they can focus on cleaning late-game without worrying about being outsped themselves. Machamp can also take out defensive Pokemon such as Umbreon and Miltank, which all take little damage for from Porygon2's moves. Pokemon like Starmie, Cloyster, and Vaporeon appreciate Porygon2's Thunder Wave support from Thunder Wave and can also help Porygon2 it by threatening Steelix, which takes little damage from Double-Edge but is chipped by Porygon2's Ice Beam. Electric-types like Raikou, Zapdos, and Jolteon appreciate Porygon2's ability to threaten Ground-type Pokemon like Rhydon and Marowak.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

Porygon2's above average stats, typing, and access to Recover make a Curse set not only viable but also quite distinctive. The combination of boosting its physical stats and Recover's 32 PP allows it to combat and often beat Curse Snorlax and other Curse boosters conveniently. Boosted STAB Double-Edge hits like a truck against targets that don't resist it and should be the choice chosen if Porygon2 is on a team that provides it with paralysis or poison support. Return is slightly weaker than Double-Edge, but it has the benefit of a recoil-free STAB attack and more PP,(AC) further enhancing its Porygon2's potential to win off via stall (I don't really understand this sentence. Are you saying that Porygon2 can better stall out a foe with Return? If so, I'd say "... via stalling the foe". I think that's clearer). Ice Beam rounds out Porygon2's coverage and is often the preferred fourth move, as it can hurt Pokemon that resist or are immune to its Normal-type STAB attacks such as Steelix, Rhydon, and Misdreavus. It also provides a 10% chance to freeze the opposing Pokemon, further solidifying its offensive tools against other Curse users. Thunderbolt is another option for the fourth move to hit Cloyster, Forretress, and Skarmory harder.

Ideally, this (eh, kinda bordering on cross-referencing sets here) Porygon2 should be used mid- to late-game after its checks have been softened or knocked out in order to avoid taking status or unnecessary damage in order and increase its chances of pulling of a sweep sweeping. Porygon2 can also set up if it is the last Pokemon left on the team so that it is not because it won't be able to be (ehhh this is a bit wordier than I would like it, but I feel the original has some weird implications) phazed by Roar or Whirlwind users like Steelix and Skarmory and can threaten the freeze if a Normal-resistant Pokemon tries to set up Curse alongside it. Recover's massive PP allows Porygon2 to go toe-to-toe with the Electric-type legends (filler, but eh if you wanna keep it I won't complain) Raikou and Zapdos as well, a feat that shouldn't be overlooked.

Team Options
========

Partners such as Machamp, Marowak, and Rhydon can help weaken or take out the Steel-type Pokemon that are not threatened by any of Porygon2's moves. If Porygon2 is running Thunderbolt, partners that can deal with Marowak or and Rhydon such as Starmie, Suicune, and Exeggutor are needed. Umbreon and Miltank also stop Porygon2 dead in its tracks, so teammates like Machamp and Heracross are appreciated. Porygon2 also appreciates Thunder Wave support from Pokemon such as Zapdos and Starmie. Heal Bell support from Blissey and Miltank can also be run to help with status conditions, but then Porygon2's team will require a solid Machamp answer such as Starmie or Alakazam. Snorlax can also make a good teammate, as mixed sets can lure Porygon2's counters and potentially knock them out, or it can remove them with Self-Destruct, giving Porygon2 better opportunities to sweep.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

It is rather difficult to recommend anything over the standard sets because Porygon2's functionality is already severely limited by the obligation to run a Normal Normal-type STAB attack, Recover, and Ice Beam on every set. Tri Attack is another alternate recoil-less STAB move that can possibly burn, paralyze, or freeze the opponent foe, but the status inflicted is random, Thunder Wave is a more consistent option to paralyze the opponent foe, and Return and Double-Edge are much more powerful. Toxic can be used to help pressure Pokemon like Cloyster, Snorlax, Machamp, and even Heal Bell users like Miltank, but it is useless against Steel-types like Forretress and Skarmory, unlike Thunder Wave. Thief can also be used to steal the foe's item. However, this move is very weak and is an inferior support move compared to Thunder Wave. Reflect can also be used to increase Porygon2's team's Defense for 5 turns.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Phazers**: Pokemon such as Tyranitar, Skarmory, and Steelix can easily stop the Curse set by phazing it with Roar or and Whirlwind. Skarmory and Steelix can poison Porygon2 with Toxic, beating it and shutting it down. Steelix can also take Porygon2 out with Explosion, although it is not an ideal matchup. Tyranitar can beat Porygon2 with Toxic, Crunch, Dynamic Punch, or its Curse + Roar set. Raikou can only beat Porygon2 with Reflect and Roar, so it is a shaky check at best.

**Defensive Pokemon**: Pokemon such as Miltank and Umbreon can stomach an unboosted Return, heal off the damage, and lower Porygon2's Attack with Growl or and Charm. Miltank in particular can heal the damage done with Milk Drink and heal Porygon2's Thunder Waves with Heal Bell. If Porygon2 lacks Ice Beam, Exeggutor can also be a problem, as it can shut down Porygon2 with Sleep Powder and use Leech Seed or Giga Drain to recover the damage done to it. Misdreavus tanks any of Porygon2's attacks and threatens to Perish Trap it or inflict status on it.

[CREDITS]

gp 2/2 once done

JustoonSmitts

[OVERVIEW]

Porygon2 is one of the most versatile Normal-types in GSC OU thanks to its fantastic stats and movepool. It can be difficult to deal with thanks to its wide coverage options, mixed damage, decent power, and ability to spread status with Thunder Wave as well as its solid bulk and access to Recover. Porygon2 especially shines as a Thunder Wave user thanks to its ability to nail Ground-type switch-ins with Ice Beam. It also makes for a decent Curse user because it can recover its health without being forced to fall asleep, as well as hitting Pokemon that resist its Normal-type STAB moves hard with Ice Beam thanks to its good Special Attack. Its well-rounded stats, great movepool, and consistent damage output can make even top Pokemon like Snorlax, Zapdos, and Raikou think twice about taking it on. However, despite access to Recover, Porygon2 is extremely vulnerable to status conditions, especially Toxic poison. Porygon2's lack of super effective coverage against threats such as Tyranitar, Umbreon, and Miltank can also give it issues. As a Curse sweeper, Porygon2 is outclassed by Snorlax thanks to the latter's much better offensive and defensive stats.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

Porygon2 is one of the best Thunder Wave users in the game because it has good mixed offenses and coverage while being difficult to take down thanks to its good defenses and Recover letting it keep itself healthy and continue spamming Thunder Wave. Double-Edge is Porygon2's strongest STAB attack, and it can 3HKO Raikou and 4HKO Snorlax. While Thunder Wave is the first move of choice, Porygon2 can instead use Thunder to hit Pokemon such as Cloyster, Skarmory, and Forretress. Without Thunder, Porygon2 cannot touch these Pokemon, though paralyzing them isn't bad either. Ice Beam deals with any Ground-type such as Steelix, Marowak, or Rhydon that tries to switch into Thunder Wave. It also 3HKOes Zapdos and can be used to chip or freeze Tyranitar, Miltank, and Umbreon, which all otherwise stomach Double-Edge.

Team Options
========

Pokemon such as Marowak, Machamp, and offensive Cloyster love Porygon2's ability to spread paralysis easily so they can focus on cleaning late-game without worrying about being outsped themselves. Machamp can also take out defensive Pokemon such as Umbreon and Miltank, which all take little damage from Porygon2's moves. Pokemon like Starmie, Cloyster, and Vaporeon appreciate Porygon2's Thunder Wave support and can also help it by threatening Steelix, which takes little damage from Double-Edge but is chipped by Porygon2's Ice Beam. Electric-types like Raikou, Zapdos, and Jolteon appreciate Porygon2's ability to threaten Ground-type Pokemon like Rhydon and Marowak.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

Porygon2's above average stats, typing, and access to Recover make a Curse set not only viable but also quite distinctive. The combination of boosting its physical stats and Recover's 32 PP allows it to combat and often beat Curse Snorlax and other Curse boosterd. Boosted STAB Double-Edge hits like a truck against targets that don't resist it and should be chosen if Porygon2 is on a team that provides it with paralysis or poison support. Return is slightly weaker than Double-Edge, but it has the benefit of a recoil-free STAB attack and more PP, further enhancing Porygon2's potential to win via stalling the foe. Ice Beam rounds out Porygon2's coverage and is often the preferred fourth move, as it can hurt Pokemon that resist or are immune to its Normal-type STAB attacks such as Steelix, Rhydon, and Misdreavus. It also provides a 10% chance to freeze the opposing Pokemon, further solidifying its offensive tools against other Curse users. Thunderbolt is another option for the fourth move to hit Cloyster, Forretress, and Skarmory harder.

Ideally, Porygon2 should be used mid- to late-game after its checks have been softened or knocked out in order to avoid taking status or unnecessary damage and increase its chances of sweeping. Porygon2 can also set up if it is the last Pokemon left on the team because it won't be able to be phazed by Roar or Whirlwind users like Steelix and Skarmory and can threaten the freeze if a Normal-resistant Pokemon tries to set up Curse alongside it. Recover's massive PP allows Porygon2 to go toe-to-toe with Raikou and Zapdos as well, a feat that shouldn't be overlooked.

Team Options
========

Partners such as Machamp, Marowak, and Rhydon can help weaken or take out the Steel-type Pokemon that are not threatened by any of Porygon2's moves. If Porygon2 is running Thunderbolt, partners that can deal with Marowak and Rhydon such as Starmie, Suicune, and Exeggutor are needed. Umbreon and Miltank also stop Porygon2 dead in its tracks, so teammates like Machamp and Heracross are appreciated. Porygon2 also appreciates Thunder Wave support from Pokemon such as Zapdos and Starmie. Heal Bell support from Blissey and Miltank can also be run to help with status conditions, but then Porygon2's team will require a solid Machamp answer such as Starmie or Alakazam. Snorlax can also make a good teammate, as mixed sets can lure Porygon2's counters and potentially knock them out, or it can remove them with Self-Destruct, giving Porygon2 better opportunities to sweep.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

It is rather difficult to recommend anything over the standard sets because Porygon2's functionality is already severely limited by the obligation to run a Normal-type STAB attack, Recover, and Ice Beam on every set. Tri Attack is another alternate recoil-less STAB move that can possibly burn, paralyze, or freeze the foe, but the status inflicted is random, Thunder Wave is a more consistent option to paralyze the foe, and Return and Double-Edge are much more powerful. Toxic can be used to help pressure Pokemon like Cloyster, Snorlax, Machamp, and even Heal Bell users like Miltank, but it is useless against Steel-types like Forretress and Skarmory, unlike Thunder Wave. Thief can also be used to steal the foe's item. However, this move is very weak and is an inferior support move compared to Thunder Wave. Reflect can also be used to increase Porygon2's team's Defense for 5 turns.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Phazers**: Pokemon such as Tyranitar, Skarmory, and Steelix can easily stop the Curse set by phazing it with Roar and Whirlwind. Skarmory and Steelix can poison Porygon2 with Toxic, beating it and shutting it down. Steelix can also take Porygon2 out with Explosion, although it is not an ideal matchup. Tyranitar can beat Porygon2 with Toxic, Crunch, Dynamic Punch, or its Curse + Roar set. Raikou can only beat Porygon2 with Reflect and Roar, so it is a shaky check at best.

**Defensive Pokemon**: Pokemon such as Miltank and Umbreon can stomach an unboosted Return, heal off the damage, and lower Porygon2's Attack with Growl and Charm. Miltank in particular can heal the damage done with Milk Drink and Porygon2's Thunder Waves with Heal Bell. If Porygon2 lacks Ice Beam, Exeggutor can also be a problem, as it can shut down Porygon2 with Sleep Powder and use Leech Seed or Giga Drain to recover the damage done to it. Misdreavus tanks any of Porygon2's attacks and threatens to Perish Trap it or inflict status on it.

**Machamp** Machamp is one of the best checks to Porygon2 because it can stomach Porygon2's moves and 2HKO it with Cross Chop. However, when switching in, Machamp should try to time its entry on a turn that Porygon2 is using Recover or Ice Beam, as it takes hefty damage from Double-Edge and does not want to get paralyzed by Thunder Wave.

[CREDITS]

gp 2/2 once done
Thank you, everyone. This is ready to upload. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)