Possible tapu koko counterplay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to do something creative here. let me know your thoughts/opinions about this set up to counter a tapu koko and xurkitree pair.

Crobat-Modest w/ Choice Scarf
Inner Focus
252 SpA/252 Spe/4 Hp
Sludge Bomb(93.8% chance to OHKO Koko)
Giga Drain(coverage)
Dark Pulse(coverage)
U-Turn

Paired with

Togedemaru-Jolly w/Air Balloon
Lightning Rod
252 Hp/252 Spe/ 4 SpD
Fake Out(guarantees kill on Koko)
Nuzzle(paralysis)
Swagger
Encore/Magnet Rise/etc.
(Out speeds a non-scarfed xurkitree)

Alternatively Salazzle would be a more predictable choice over Crobat. Most people would expect a support, or at least a physical, setup on crobat. (Physical Crobat can only OHKO Koko if it wins the speed tie because it needs choice band or life orb.)
Giga Drain also roughly will deal 35-40% life of an hp and attack invested mudsdale.

Again leave your opinion on whether or not you think this will work/have any viability whatsoever.

Eh, once enough people remember that Tailwind and Super Fang are tutor moves though, they will probably expect Crobat to want to attack more. This seems mostly directed at dealing with Koko over Xurkitree, which would be a huge problem. What is your plan if they have that and not Koko? Beyond that you mention a bit of how it can deal with Mudsdale, who is uncommon btw, but how does it deal with other things? If your opponent were to bring Garchomp and Koko in vs this pair, how would you deal with that? How would you play if they don't bring Koko at all? It seems awfully specific to counter a single Pokemon and the fact that it takes two to do so makes it even more dubious.

Eh, once enough people remember that Tailwind and Super Fang are tutor moves though, they will probably expect Crobat to want to attack more. This seems mostly directed at dealing with Koko over Xurkitree, which would be a huge problem. What is your plan if they have that and not Koko? Beyond that you mention a bit of how it can deal with Mudsdale, who is uncommon btw, but how does it deal with other things? If your opponent were to bring Garchomp and Koko in vs this pair, how would you deal with that? How would you play if they don't bring Koko at all? It seems awfully specific to counter a single Pokemon and the fact that it takes two to do so makes it even more dubious.
It is all hypothetical, of course, but in a format that allows only 4 of your 6 pokemon to battle, neither of these would necessarily need to be brought into battle. if you could explain more how this allows xurkitree to become a problem I would appreciate that. it doesn't seem to have a wide move pool that is not electric type moves, and with lightning rod it seems that xurkitree would not have many options. coverage over something like a garchomp would need to come from somewhere else, I agree with that.

Edit: I also forgot that discharge doesn't care about lightning rod. RIP

Last edited:
Discharge gets around Lightning Rod and isn't uncommon on Xurkitree. And keep in mind this pair is half of what you would bring into a battle. Meaning if it is only real effective against Tapu Koko and nothing else, it can't do much if your opponent doesn't bring Tapu Koko or manages to play around it.

One thing I've been messing around with is Aerodactyl. It speed ties max investment but a lot of people are getting greedy and running less than max. Run sash with sky drop then either lift Koko and kill his buddy or lift his buddy and kill Koko. With whirlwind, taunt, and sky drop as options I think it's a very disruptive lead pokemon on the whole. Pairs well with Chomp too.

One thing I've been messing around with is Aerodactyl. It speed ties max investment but a lot of people are getting greedy and running less than max. Run sash with sky drop then either lift Koko and kill his buddy or lift his buddy and kill Koko. With whirlwind, taunt, and sky drop as options I think it's a very disruptive lead pokemon on the whole. Pairs well with Chomp too.
So I haven't played against Dactyl yet. Are people running Rock Slide on it?

It doesn't really have 4MSS so I see no reason to not run rock slide when it can outspeed the entire meta bar Koko (technically Crobat too but without tutors he's a nonfactor) unboosted and ties with him. The ability to go for flinch hax in a pinch has saved my ass more than once.

Sounds about right. Spread flinch hax is just too good, even with 90acc. And a decent BP.

So his moveset would be something like

252 Atk/4 SpD/252 Spe
-Rock Slide/Stone Edge
-Whirlwind/Taunt
-Sky Drop/Stone Edge/Rock Slide
-Protect

It looks like it has a much less shallow movepool than I gave it credit for. I'll have to look into that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)