Post college grads come here

Graduated with a degree in International Studies. Basically a "don't know what you want to do in life but you want an excuse to travel the world? Try this!" track. Now I'm finishing a certification course to teach English as a foreign language to hopefully land a job in either Japan or Korea. Fingers crossed I guess.

zapzap29

The obssessive man of passion
Graduated with a degree in International Studies. Basically a "don't know what you want to do in life but you want an excuse to travel the world? Try this!" track. Now I'm finishing a certification course to teach English as a foreign language to hopefully land a job in either Japan or Korea. Fingers crossed I guess.
Nice! I actually taught English in South Korea for a year so if there's anything you'd like to ask feel free to shoot me a message . South Korea has a lot of cram schools called hagweons that are willing to provide foreign teachers with room and board for free/at a discounted rate. Teaching abroad is definitely a unique experience and South Korea has a lot to offer in terms of tourist attractions.

Graduated in Legal Studies on June 2016 then entered Law school August 2016. I am now an incoming 3rd year law student. Still have some subjects I need to retake lulz.

After one year and six months, I'll be out of this miserable life that law school has given me. No more reading of 60+ cases per subject (4-5 subjects per day and 6 days of classes btw). No more recitations of both readings from books and cases everyday. No more shitty lawyers scolding you and giving you a score of zero even though you haven't said anything YET.

I took this shitty path since this is what my parents want. And now, there's no turning back. After I finish law school, I'll put a saddle on my universe and take off.

I'll worry about finding work later since lawyers have more work opportunities especially in the government.
The absurd amount of toxicity (which is quite apparent in my rant) in my body needs to be flushed out.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Since it's been a year since my last post I felt like it was time to stop procrastinating and give a little update, ha.

Well, I really took Roy's advice seriously and yeah, I realized until I'm like 30 I really can afford to just try different things. My school offered me a student Fellowship (and later Teaching Assistantship) and will cover about 80% of the tuition plus a salary. Spending the next two years getting an MLA and work experience for basically free is just too good an offer to refuse. So I'll be doing that. Master's programs tend to run during the night since most master's students are busy, so in the meantime I'm going to try to get my writing and music career going and see if that's something I can realistically pursue by the time I graduate two years from now.

I've always wanted to be an artist, and I feel like I have something to say. I kinda gave in to the pressure to go for something more realistic but now that the internet is a thing, the ability to get your art to be seen/heard by the public has been extremely democratized so it's worth trying. Even if it ends up a side thing and not an entire career, I won't mind; teaching is extremely fulfilling for me too, and feel like I have a lot to offer there.

In general, I'd just say I have a lot more confidence and direction than I did last year.

Since it's been a year since my last post I felt like it was time to stop procrastinating and give a little update, ha.

Well, I really took Roy's advice seriously and yeah, I realized until I'm like 30 I really can afford to just try different things. My school offered me a student Fellowship (and later Teaching Assistantship) and will cover about 80% of the tuition plus a salary. Spending the next two years getting an MLA and work experience for basically free is just too good an offer to refuse. So I'll be doing that. Master's programs tend to run during the night since most master's students are busy, so in the meantime I'm going to try to get my writing and music career going and see if that's something I can realistically pursue by the time I graduate two years from now.

I've always wanted to be an artist, and I feel like I have something to say. I kinda gave in to the pressure to go for something more realistic but now that the internet is a thing, the ability to get your art to be seen/heard by the public has been extremely democratized so it's worth trying. Even if it ends up a side thing and not an entire career, I won't mind; teaching is extremely fulfilling for me too, and feel like I have a lot to offer there.

In general, I'd just say I have a lot more confidence and direction than I did last year.
You sound like you have a good head on you about it. You recognize that you might not make ends meet with only your passions, but that you can always do them on the side. You've already have a better attitude than most MA/PhD students who will take out loans to study one esoteric and very impractical niche of academia that probably won't ever get them hired. As long as you're fine doing your art and music on the side in addition to a normal career that is still applicable to your studies, you're doing great.

(I say this as someone who is studying a niche field of academia, btw. It's rough out there.)

Reisen

Translations Project Creator
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I graduated a year ago with a master degree in Financial and Economical Strategics. I've learnt a lot of things related to the finance, economy, mathematics and even informatics (especially the data).

I ended up doing my final intership in BMW as a financial analyst and they recruited me after my intership was done. What I really appreciate, especially when you come from a renowned school, your possibily of evolution is really present. Is has only been a year that I'm working in BMW and since september I am a Manager and I work as a Business Developper.

At the beginning I was scared because I was only working in the technical part as a financial analyst even if I was pre-nogociating contracts. And now as a business dev I will have to "sell" my company services and also prospect and find different clients. But this part is easy to learn especially if you have a formation before starting the work. Moreover this work reunits everything in my opinion; client contact, technical, management and organization. This work clearly changed my way of living, if i'm very performing, I will feel that in my daily life and conversely. What I also really like is that it's a variable work; the more you work; the more you sign contracts for your company; the more you will get money.

Also if there is someone like that who hesitates to try something a bit different and even "opposite" in their carrier but deep down they really want to discover the work and they feel it could be a professional springboard; take the risk, go for it !

I graduated 1 and a half years ago but stayed to work on masters for English major and did a minor in Japanese Language. I am currently a substitute teacher at a middle school and train there at the same time. And by next year during the summer I will hopefully go to Japan to teach English, though I will have a hard time since I am Asian myself, I do hope to find myself when I go abroad. Thank you!

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
If any of yall are in S.Korea, I'm currently teaching in Sancheong. Just getting close to finishing my first week. They had me dive headfirst into introductions with the classes.

Currently I'm still in high school, but I'm pretty close to my English degree, where I'm at Wizard for 4 years and I'll be finishing it for more than 2 years, I'm anxious.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Update: been living in S.Korea for the past 5 months and so far it has been quite good. I've been blessed to get a position in the countryside which means I get paid a stipend for the fact that I live in the sticks. To add to that, I teach at four schools so I get another bonus on top of that. And finally I also am in charge of an English Interview and Debate program at Jinju High School on weekends so that also gives me a little bonus cash. I've done the math and I can basically be debt free within two years working here assuming I set aside at least 1mil Won every month, so I'm pretty stoked about it. I don't plan on working here much longer than that though, unless circumstances change.

Got my Master's in Mathematics last year, taught some basic math classes for a semester last year, and now I pretty much tutor all the time (make more money than as a part time teacher bizarrely), I have been having an interview about every week this month which is nice.

Am currently studying Computer Science hoping to focus in Security. I want to minor in Math and maybe Music too (I play piano).

After I graduate I kind of want to go into the Army or Air Force for a few years with a security job; I think it would be a good experience for me among other benefits. However I would only want to be in for three to five years at the most before leaving and getting more education and/or a civilian job.

Has anyone here worked in the military and can give me any insight?

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
After I graduate I kind of want to go into the Army or Air Force for a few years with a security job; I think it would be a good experience for me among other benefits. However I would only want to be in for three to five years at the most before leaving and getting more education and/or a civilian job.
Have not been in the military. Did my PhD research with a military grant, and all of my co-grad students were active military. My POV: it's pointless to do that. I'll even go one further and say it's pointless to do anything government related for computer science (including security). You'll get paid vastly better with much better working conditions outside of it.

SteelEdges

Banned deucer.
I graduated from a middle-of-the-road public university in the American South with a degree in Humanities. I returned home, but I'm doing an MA in Adult Education at the same public university in order to be an academic advisor. The MA degree is online and I intend to work as much as I can (I'm on benefits) while preparing for my desired career.

Am currently studying Computer Science hoping to focus in Security. I want to minor in Math and maybe Music too (I play piano).

Has anyone here worked in the military and can give me any insight?
I'm currently active duty and have my degree. Most of the dudes I came in with are pretty much doing exactly what your plan is. They joined up, are going to do their first contract and pop out and go either finish up their degree or just go nab a job as a civilian that pays way more than you'll ever make in the military. Military is "cool" for experiences if that's really what you're after and it does generally look good on resumes when you begin interviewing. Plus working in security in the military you'll have to get a top level security clearance so whenever you get out and try and get a job somewhere else you'll already have your clearance in tact and will just have to renew it (much quicker of a process than getting one in the first place). Really just depends on what exactly you want to do and where you want to go, best advice I could give you is just to go to a recruiter and tell them your plan. If you feel it's genuinely something you wanna do then go for it, but if you're even a little bit offput by something don't join up because you'd be signing over years of your life you'll never get back that could've been better used to do something you actually love. Hope that helped man

Really just depends on what exactly you want to do and where you want to go, best advice I could give you is just to go to a recruiter and tell them your plan. If you feel it's genuinely something you wanna do then go for it, but if you're even a little bit offput by something don't join up because you'd be signing over years of your life you'll never get back that could've been better used to do something you actually love. Hope that helped man
Can you explain further on the length and demands of a contract? I don't want to get stuck in something I don't want to be doing for years.

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Can you explain further on the length and demands of a contract? I don't want to get stuck in something I don't want to be doing for years.
Then don't join the military!

Simply put, it works like this. You join. They tell you what you're going to do (you have some input in this, but less than a recruiter will "promise" you). You then do that or go to jail.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)