Post Your Scarlet & Violet In-Game Teams!

Oh I mean either I’ll go for a proper speedrun or do a proper playthrough run, for which I wouldn’t really care about stats etc.
If you want to go for a proper speedrun... pick meowscarada then catch the wild flamigo and roll over the game by feeding them all the exp candies you get :wo:

If you want to just play the game then I mean, you don't really need an advice, It's pokemon you'll faceroll it anyway so pick whatever catches your attention on the way :quagchamppogsire:

So I’m thinking of maybe getting Scarlet as well as Violet. Mainly as an easy way to farm non-breedable exclusives, and also because why break tradition? I’ve had both Versions for every Gen except Shining Pearl and some Gen 5/7 stuff - I think I only got one of BW2 and only one of USUM.

Haven’t decided yet on a team if I do get it. Either I’d be playing through with an all new team of mons I haven’t used. (Meowscarada, Flamigo, Pawmot, Lokix, Espathra, Ceruledge was initial Violet playthrough, secondary one post DLC was Infernape, Staraptor, Garchomp, Greninja, Toxtricity, Meowscarada). Or just trying to speed through the game as fast as possible (though this will probably be less enjoyable)

So what mon(s) would you guys recommend for a speedrun of the game?

I already have a few ideas for an all new team as well, involving Skeledirge, Tinkaton (ok I’ll submit to public pressure) and Baxcalibur - are there any other interesting mons you guys would recommend? (ideally entire new lines, though its not impossible I’d use something like Kingambit etc.)
I picked Skeledirge and loved using it. Scovillain is also fun for a playthrough, good attacking stats and lots of fun level up moves. Clodsire is also available early and very strong early game.

Oh I mean either I’ll go for a proper speedrun or do a proper playthrough run, for which I wouldn’t really care about stats etc.
For a quick-but-not-speedrun method, I had a lot of success with Gallade since you can just run north to grab a Shiny Stone as soon as it evolves into Kirlia, and if you have Sharpness it'll faceroll everything until endgame with its Coverage. Combine with some other heavy hitters for weird targets like Meowscarada, Flamigo, and Azumarill and everything falls over.

I guess it depends how much you want this to be fast vs low effort vs a combination of both. Gallade was one example of a detour but also it more than made up that time for my run.

Kitakami team, after catching Ogerpon:
kitakami team.jpg

(Since Ogerpon has to physically be on the team for the final Carmine battle, Clefable got benched for that, but that battle is pretty worthless anyway.)

Basically, I started out by choosing a team of six Pokemon that were all a) in the Kitakami dex, b) not in the Paldea dex, and c) single-typed, so there are no double resistances to be found. From there, if the Pokemon had any member of its evolution line available from specifically a 3-star raid, I crawled the online raid board for anyone hosting such a thing, then caught one of those at level 35. For the rest, I caught a higher-star raid, used it to get an egg, then candied that up to a level-30 starting point. I made sure the team's held items at all times had to comply with the VGC item clause. From those starting levels, only the mandatory questline battles were allowed to give XP while any of these team members were in the party.

Fighting from about 20 levels down all quest long is a delicate art. It's tempting to look for a fluke win and roll with it, even if it requires something like them missing a 90% move into my retaliation with a critical, but the real treasure (of Area Zero?) is to write out a script that captures the most reliable path to victory given the current state of the team, then maybe seeing if it can be further refined into a reliable route that doesn't involve making any sacks. Once Dusclops got to a point where it was just bear-ly out of KO range from Ursaluna's Earth Power, for example, I figured we could go on the Perrin questline at that point: by managing a slow pivot to Dusclops on a turn where Blood Moon was stale, I found in testing that with that survival benchmark in hand, Ursaluna would go for Calm Mind 100% of the time on the following turn, and that's enough of a reprieve that the rest was easy. It became such a consistent strategy that I could afford to incorporate a speed check into the script to look for minimum speed in that battle, and keep replaying until I got it.

Sometimes these scripts end up pretty tight on timing: for example, against the Loyal Three, needing to work in a spot for Mienfoo to get in early for the extra dose of XP that allows it to hit level 50, evolve, learn Wide Guard, and make Fezandipiti look absolutely foolish; then later on against final Kieran, Mienshao needs to level up to 54 in the middle of battle before it outspeeds Gliscor, so the possible orders I can convince him to send out his Pokemon are more constrained until then.

Last edited:
1704163810904.png

Played the game through from base game-Indigo disk and beat it with this team about a few weeks ago since my unedited post, and I forgot about posting my thoughts on this team, so I'm doing that right now.

Since my unedited post, I went through pokemon scarlet the entire way through from the base game-indigo disk with this team, and looked up a guide to find the level of all the areas in the base game, and started indigo disk at 70 to fight everything on level. Aside from a couple bumps at the early game, it was honestly pretty easy the whole way through, I demolished it, and I think the 12 types my mons do have are all the most potent offensive typings possible, the other 5 types I didn't have(don't worry, I'll explain why I missed out on 5 instead of 6 types later)...were bad offensively when it came to hitting the mons in my run super effectively, and all 6 of the mons themselves were powerhouses once they did get fully evolved, so I think I got a great team, and the experiment was a success.

Tested out Lilligant since my original post, and apparently, you COULD switch out lilligant even when using petal dance, whenever it defeats an enemy until indigo disk, the fact that you get both Petilil, and the evolution stone near the start of the game meant that it had a free 120 BP move near the beginning of the game, so it wins availability wise as well, stats also aren't too bad, but since it's a single grass type, and grass is a pretty bad offensive typing that's not the best matchup wise, and unneeded when I have an electric mon that could also beat up fairies, along with Lilligant being useless in Indigo disk, I took it out the team, and stuck with Tyranitar, since it was more useful overall for the later parts of the game, it had the best STAB typing combo possible to round out my team, and hit all possible dual type weaknesses, and a great attack stat, despite it only being widely used starting at the elite 4.

Lilligant was only really not replaceable TWICE, against titan Klawf, since using a 120 BP move against a mon weak to that move is broken, and the other mons on my team that have typings it's weak to are far too weak to do anything due to Klawf's low level, and against Rica's whiscash for obvious reasons...that's literally it, 2 battles, and gallade's leaf blade also works against that whiscash. As for Titan Klawf...I'll go over that later. As a result, it was easy to justify taking Lilligant out.

Grass having worse matchups compared to fire/ghost, and lack of need for a grass type was also why I used skeledirge instead of meowscarada, and compensated by giving my gallade a grass tera, sharpness boosted leaf blade grass tera from gallade actually deals more damage than flower trick grass tera from meowscarada. As a result, meowscarada was outclassed when it comes to grass type power even without needing to use Petal dance Lilligant as soon as I got those shards, and I technically had 13 STABs. The only problem was actually getting those grass tera shards.

Besides, Magnezone's thunderbolt does almost as much damage as meowscarada's flower trick...there's a 4% damage difference between the two, and there was never a 4% or less difference between an OHKO, and a 2HKO whenever encountering a water mon in my playthrough so that power difference is irrelevant. Meanwhile, alongside better matchups, Skeledirge's torch song snowballing potential also meant that it at least had something to distinguish itself from its fire type competition, and overheat was commonly used whenever there's one fire weak mon in a battle, meaning that it could have shockingly high instant power for 1 turn even without needing to spend turns boosting with torch song, and overheat wasn't available to too many mons, skeledirge was luckily one of the few mons to learn that move. Also gave the free rock tera from Miss Tyme to Mamoswine, so it could have a 3rd rock STAB as well, that came to use against Krispin.

A few other comments: I used a mirror herb, and caught a shellder that I evolved to cloyster, so I could give my swinub icicle crash, its best ice STAB, and probably the best physical ice move in terms of power in general until indigo disk, also used mirror herbs to give azumarill belly drum+aqua jet, so I technically didn't just use 6 mons, but I only used those 6 mons in battle. I was also shocked to find out that the Larvitar on my team was actually more useful during the early game than I originally expected, there were a few fights where it was the best option early on, EG against titan Klawf, since the mons that had the other typings Klawf was weak too were far too weak at that point since I no longer had petal dance Lilligant, and I used the bulldoze TM on it, but that's not the only example.

Despite all 6 of my mons being available incredibly early, and having good offensive stats, movepool, and typing making the run easy in general...there were roadblocks, particularly whenever I faced a sturdy mon, or a focus sash mon in indigo disk, my mons almost always was able to OHKO the mons there...and then those mons became the biggest problem with a team focused on crushing mons with sheer power throughout Indigo disk. Their middling-bad speed tier also forced me to use choice scarfs on Mamoswine, and Azumarill against Drayton.

I will also note that with indigo disk, there was a clear MVP during that DLC...Mamoswine, the ground+ice typing combination, along with the rock STAB for Krispin was so incredibly great offensively that it was used in literally EVERY SINGLE MAJOR BATTLE in some form, except the final tera pokemon, and terapagos in area zero, and often wasn't switched out, and used for the entire battle, actually more often than not being one of the best 2 pokemon to send out during said major battles to hit all the mons in those double battles super effectively, without having to waste a turn and get hurt by switching out.

Last edited:
A few months back (Pre-DLC1) I did a Violet run where I used the 6 Paldea mons with the lowest BST (Spidops with 404 to Lokix with 450) and it proved to be a challenging yet fun playthrough. Mr. Klaw the Klawf and Gamer the Lokix were the MVPs, but that’s a rather obvious assumption.
I have plans to do the DLC with this team, wish me luck! (I am NOT ready for The Indigo Disk, it’s gonna be hell when I have to use a Spidops and Wugtrio.)

IMG_1608.jpeg

My Great Capture Screenshot 2023-12-15 13-11-29.png

My final team for the Indigo Disc / HToAZ storline. I wanted to challenge myself for this run after simply breezing through everything with my level 100 Walking Wake for Teal Mask. I only used Pokemon found in the Terrarium, and I couldn't over level, but I allowed ability patches, vitamins, TMs, rare candies until certain level caps, etc. I could have also changed tera types, but didn't really bother to. I'm glad I used those restrictions because this was challenging as heck lmao. Not the best constructed team, either, as I was using mons I was in the mood to use. Flygon and Metagross are two of my favorite Gen 3 mons, Ninetales is my favorite Alolan form, Galvantula is one of my favorite Gen 5 mons, Whimsicott is a phenomenal doubles supporter, and while Lanturn only came onto the team as a much-needed fire resist, I still love the fella and is one of my favorite Gen 2 mons.

My Great Capture Screenshot 2023-12-15 13-25-21.png

Shoutout to Galarian Slowbro and Tentacruel as extra players who helped me in some other fights that some of my other teammates couldn't handle.

The team I used for the Indigo Disk was as follows:
1702985995340.png

The MVP of this matchup was Hydregion. I found his moveset to be vast with Snarl, Earth Power, Flamethrower and Flash Cannon.
But what made him really shine was Tailwind. Him doubling the speed of every team made mons like Azumarill, Ogerpon and Kleavor into wrecking balls.
Arcanine also helped in Utility with Intimidate, Will-O-Wisp, Morning Sun and Snarl.

Garganacl was my last resort pokemon, since with Tera Water it was usually powerful with Body Press.

I had Flutter Mane on my team, but I gave it up since I realised it would be too powerful with Moonblast, Mystical Fire, Ancient Power etc. With Tailwind support, Flutter Mane alone could beat Crispin.

Alright, I finally finished the whole DLC (man that was so brutal), so I'm gonna put my team!
IMG_20231219_135901.jpg

It's....not the most optimised team admittedly, but hey, I had fun using it! And imo that's the most important part!
:sv/minun:
Starting out with my favourite pika clone, minun! Usually in playthrough teams I don't rly go for support oriented sets on my mons. I normally end up going either for all out attackers, setup sweepers or tanks, with the only real team support being (occasionally) hazards. However, since this dlc is doubles oriented and thus could use support moves more freely without losing offensive pressure, I figured "Heh, wynaut". And minun, having been created the same gen were doubles were invented and probably designed as the poster child of them, has plenty of options. I ofc had thunder in there in order to have an electric stab (probably should've changed it to thunderbolt tbh, but eh, if I was commit to minun I might as well have as much firepower as possible, even if it's sorta unreliable...). I then used helping hand for a damage boost with my other mon, encore for locking an opposing mon into an exploitable move (which actually came in rly useful to prevent Lacey's whimsicott from setting up tailwind), and nuzzle to spread paralysis (and to waste Kieran's politoed's wakan berry in the process hehehehe). And whilst Menos the minun didn't have much staying power, being 3HKOd by most attacks at best, she genuinely felt pretty useful for the rest of the team, and somehow even managed to break one of terapagos' shields in the finale!

:sv/meganium:
Getting this guy was probably the biggest grind I ever had to make for a team member in any playthrough ever. I spent a good part of a day making BBQs, defeated idk how much wild mons, had to make a sandwich, gave my team a bath and even presented lacewing the flygon to chespirito the lokix from my base game playthrough (I think they got a little excited and had cuadruplets...). Arguably, I probably could've just not bothered with the grind and spent the rest of the playthrough with Coco the exeggutor as my grass mon. But no. I had a statement to make. I'm an ultra rare meganium line appreciator, and who knows when the next time they appear in a mainline game is gonna be and get another chance of using em in a playthrough. I couldn't let this chance pass. I'm one of the few people that gives em a chance and appreciates them for what they are. I- *huff huff*
Phew, I think I got a little winded up there. Well, anyway, meganium! Much like minun, they are mostly focused on team support, principally through dual screens. I also went with synthesis for healing without items and giga drain for a grass stab that also healed. The screens were RLY useful, especially for surviving hits that would've otherwise obliterated my mons. Surprisingly enough Clorofila the meganium was also the MVP in the final terapagos battle, taking surprisingly little from all his attacks and staying alive forever! So yeah, meganium wasn't useless! I proved all the haters wrong ahahahahahaha!

:sv/minior-yellow:
Oh huh, didn't realise that half my team starts with an m. Wow! Anyway, I originally planned on looking at different miniors until I got a green core one. However, the first one I encountered happened to be a yellow core one, so I figured "Eh, this is good enough. Yellow is also neat!" Cometa the minior was the biggest beneficiary of Clorofila's screens, allowing them to setup shell smash easier (surprisingly enough they never got double targeted that often, so with white herb, shields down and the aforementioned screens getting boosts wasn't that dangerous). After that I could then proceed to spam boosted acrobatics and power gems til oblivion, hopefully getting the core form boost in the process to become unstoppable! They weren't invincible ofc, since they did die to priority and double targeting rather easily, but for what it's worth they did a good job at their role.

:sv/flygon:
Ironically, getting this girl was much easier than I thought, being one of my first encounters upon entering the area as a trapinch. That honestly was a relief, since flygon is one of my favourite pokemon ever but didn't have any chance to use one in an in game playthrough up until now. Well, now I have, and they didn't disappoint! Lacewing the flygon had a pretty good all around kit, having a solid bulk behind screens and a pretty good offensive profile (earthquake in particular being surprisingly spammable with 3/5 of the other mons either being immune to it or just not minding it that much, tho I did slot in earth power at times to have a single target ground stab). Idk what else to say tbh, she hits hard and tanks neutral attacks, there's not much more to it.

:sv/araquanid:
Gota the araquanid was pretty similar in this regard, but to a more minor degree. Liquidation from this guy in particular rly felt useful, hitting like an absolute truck. And whilst leech life wasn't as sheerly brutal, it at least dealt decent damage and also provided him with passive healing. Mirror coat was also a funny button in a few occasions, dealing hefty damage to special attackers that would've otherwise dominated him. Crunch didn't end up as useful of a move and only rly was filler, but it did come in handy against a handful of ghost mons I encountered, so that's something ig.

:sv/sandslash-alola:
Alolan sandslash was only the second hardest mon to obtain for my team! This guy is, alongside alolan exeggutor, my favourite regional form in pokemon. Therefore, the moment alolan sandshrew popped up in one of the indigo disk ads, I decided that I HAD to use em in my playthrough team. So when I finally got access to the terarium, whilst exploring the polar area, I dedicated myself to finding one. However, I never found one, even after finding a BELDUM. So I decided to investigate a little on it, and to my surprise and dismay, they were a Violet exclusive. And I play scarlet. Needless to say, I was quite disappointed. However, I didn't give up on using them, so I went on pokemon home, and searched the GTS. After digging through a ton of people that offered their sandshrews in exchange for gholdengos and blood moon ursalunas and pharaoh furfrous (what's up with the economy in there fr, ik those are rare but still...), I finally got a person who offered one for the accessible price of an alolan vulpix!
IMG20231219164110.jpg

(Señor Dani (O señora no se), donde sea que este, muchas gracias por el sandshrew, y espero que este disfrutando de su vulpix!)
As for sandslash himself, he definitely was pretty solid! While he did have a problem with speed (which at least was counteracted by screens), he did hit pretty hard with stab iron head and loaded dice enhanced icicle spear. Sadly he didn't dominate Lacey as hard as I expected due to the sheer amount of anti steel tech she employs, but otherwise he did his job pretty well!
So that's a wrap! Just like with kitikami, I could've easily just steamrolled everything with my maxed out team members from my other two playthroughs from the other campaigns.....but where's the fun in that?

The team I used for the Indigo Disk was as follows:
View attachment 581656

The MVP of this matchup was Hydregion. I found his moveset to be vast with Snarl, Earth Power, Flamethrower and Flash Cannon.
But what made him really shine was Tailwind. Him doubling the speed of every team made mons like Azumarill, Ogerpon and Kleavor into wrecking balls.
Arcanine also helped in Utility with Intimidate, Will-O-Wisp, Morning Sun and Snarl.

Garganacl was my last resort pokemon, since with Tera Water it was usually powerful with Body Press.

I had Flutter Mane on my team, but I gave it up since I realised it would be too powerful with Moonblast, Mystical Fire, Ancient Power etc. With Tailwind support, Flutter Mane alone could beat Crispin.
What pokemon did you use when you went to fight Ogerpon? I was planning on getting him but I'm not sure which pokemon to use.

What pokemon did you use when you went to fight Ogerpon? I was planning on getting him but I'm not sure which pokemon to use.
If you're curious on which mon I used on my above mentioned base game-indigo disk team to beat Ogerpon's 4 phases, I used my Gallade. Gallade actually has coverage options for all 4 of Ogerpon's masks, I used Aqua cutter for the fire tera, leaf blade for the water tera, sacred sword for the rock tera, and x scissor for the grass tera. Is it the best pokemon to use for the Ogerpon fight? I have no idea.

I would say probably not, since I focused my team above on going through the entire game from the base game-the indigo disk, which I eventually succeeded at doing, and not focusing on a mon just to get through that fight. I will say that Gallade hits very hard with even its non-STAB coverage moves, because of sharpness boosting the power of all the moves I just mentioned by 50%, and a pretty high attack stat, so you could take down all 4 of Ogerpon's phases incredibly quicky with that mon, and that's the mon I recommend based on my own runthrough.

Last edited:
I beat the DLC a few weeks ago, but haven't had much time to do a retrospective post yet, so I'll start with the team I used. I previously used different teams for all of the stories and Teal Mask, and I did the same for Indigo Disk.

The choices were a lot harder to make this time, since a lot of mons I was considering using did not make the final cut, like Marshadow, Naganadel, or Zeraora. As a result, Annihilape from my Teal Mask team continued to sub in for the better fighting/ghost.

For the rest, I knew I wanted to use Iron Valiant and Emploeon. Other than that, there wasn't much in the Blueberry dex that I was interested in using. Golette/Golurk and Alolan Ninetales were contenders, and I ended up using them in the Drayton fight due to the terrarium-only constraint, but they didn't have the right feel here. I eventually decided to use Slither Wing despite the rapidly compounding fairy, flying, and psychic weaknesses, since I like its design a lot and who knows if it will be around in gen 10.

I debated for a bit on whether I wanted to use Raging Bolt, Gouging Fire, both, or neither. Once I found out you could actually get both before the end of the story (after grinding 200 dex entrees), I decided to use at least one. I opted for only Raging Bolt, and decided to bring along Ogrepon for fire and added grass coverage, since we didn't get to use it in Teal Mask and I thought it would be fun to see the character reactions to it.

indigodiskteam.png

After completing the story I swapped Annihilape for Terapagos while I was grinding BP, since I really like the turtle and didn't feel like waiting to use it for the epilogue.

For the epilogue I will probably just use my Teal Mask team, since they didn't get to level 100 yet and we're heading back to Kitikami. I might swap Armarouge for Gouging Fire. Otherwise, I guess that's all for my SV in-game teams.

It was fun using so many different teams in this game, though in hindsight many of the mons in my path of legends and starfall street trams haven't risen to the level of favorites. Depending on the structure of next gen/next game I'll probably go back to using preplanned teams of clear new favorites, but if there are multiple stories I might still use multiple teams.

Unforutunately, I cannot remember much of my team when I did fight Ogerpon.

I do remember that I used the following pokemon: Skeledrige, Dondozo, Garganacl, Toedscruel and Magnezone

I am not sure on which mon I used for the 6th slot.

Good luck on taking on Ogerpon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)