ORAS RU Primadonna

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I've noticed there has been a general lack of good RU RMTs (actually any RU RMTs in general), in spite of the fact that RU is incredibly fun right now, and although it maybe isn't perfectly balanced, it is the best its been this generation. I guess this is the part where I explain my motivation for making the team as well as the bullshit behind the team's title. Well, I made this team to use during SPL week 9, and the title is because I went undefeated (3-0) in SPL 6, all while listening to the song Primadonna.

TEAM PREVIEW

I know what you are thinking, "atomicllamas, none of those Pokemon are on your team!" No shit, Sherlock, these four Pokemon were the favorite Pokemon of my opponent for SPL week 9, Nails. Nails's strategy had previously consisted of using Dugtrio + Whimsicott to punish Reuniclus counters and allow Reuniclus to clean up late game, he just likes dog cause its really good :D. So when approaching team building, I wanted to run a team that would give me an advantage against the Pokemon Nails typically used, while still being able to win against any given team.

I had noticed that his teams where ALWAYS in theory weak to Drapion, but he also ALWAYS brought Dugtrio, which meant that Drapion would be limited to at most one kill. However, one move in Gen 6 play that is always overlooked, and that turns frail offensive checks into a liability is Sticky Web, so Sticky Web with Swords Dance Drapion seemed like an excellent idea. Hyper Offense also seemed really cool as I am known as a Balance player and while I (well I like to think) am a pretty diverse player, most of my teams tend to be on the Semi Stall, Bulky Offense, Balance side of things.

The First Version of the Team

Now this team was alright, the Mesprit set I was using was SR 3 Attacks, as it was capable of taking out Shiftry and Golbat before they could Defog. Kabutops provided Rapid Spin Support, and was also a great offensive check / one time counter to Houndoom, that was not able to be trapped by Dugtrio thanks to Aqua Jet. The major flaw in this team was revealed when I played ikarus during a test match and he had Taunt Cobalion (a common set), which absolutely shit on my team. He suggested that I use Leavanny over Kricketune, as Magic Coat at least makes it a 50/50 on whether or not Taunt Cobalion beats you.

I didn't like this version at all, yes I was less weak to Taunt Cobalion, but upon further testing, my team was too slow outside of webs, and with Leavanny over Kricketune, set up sweepers in the lead slot just straight up beat me. That is why I had Kricketune to begin with, between taunt and Endeavor, no set up sweeper could straight up blow through me. Instead of scrapping my team, I drew inspiration from lower tier HO god McMeghan, which led me to the current version of the team.

The Sets

Pay The Price (Kricketune) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 144 HP / 112 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sticky Web
- Endeavor
- Taunt
- Knock Off

This is a pretty standard set for Kricketune, at least in terms of the moves on it. Sticky Web is obviously there for the speed control and because there are 0 other reasons to use Kricketune. Taunt is really nice, as Jolly Kricketune reaches 251 speed, which is faster than common defoggers like Golbat and Skuntank, but you do have to watch out for Shiftry which reaches 259 speed with an Adamant Nature. Endeavor functions as a pseudo Destiny Bond when Kricketune is knocked down to 1 HP, which is pretty common, Knock Off is Knock Off. The spread seems really dumb, and it is, but it allows you to survive two 4 SpA Bug Buzzes from Accelgor, so if it Buzzes, then Buzzes again predicting a switch (instead of encore), you can lower it down to 1-20 HP or w/e. Max Attack is probably better, ngl.

For Forgiveness (Meloetta) @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Grass Knot
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast / Dazzling Gleam

Meloetta was added after Archeops and Kricketune, as I no longer had a need for Mesprit. Meloetta is extremely useful on this team, as Archeops and Kricketune both dislike Rhyperior leads, as they can only get up their hazards, and not Endeavor or Taunt (Taunt is too risky against Rock Blast). As such Rhyperior would normally get up SR against this team. Spirit started using Grass Knot Meloetta because everyone and their mother were using Rhyperior, and there is this useful calculation:

252 SpA Meloetta Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 248 HP / 244 SpD Solid Rock Rhyperior: 441-522 (101.8 - 120.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

This means that Meloetta can easily prevent opposing Rhyperior leads from getting up hazards and keeps both Kricket's and Archeops's sashes in tact. I use Colbur Berry because choice items besides Scarf are usually trash on HO (there are exceptions like Exploud on webs!), as their is nothing to fall back onto if you click the wrong move. Also Colbur is hilarious on Dazzling Gleam Meloetta, as it successfully cockblocks defogging Shiftry. Focus Blast could be used in the last slot over Dazzling Gleam as it is technically better, and makes Mega Steelix slightly less annoying (this is an endeavor target) but it also opens you up to hax. 49 points out Focus Blast is probably a necessary evil, he's probably right :[.

The Sickness (Drapion) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Earthquake / Aqua Tail

If the four Pokemon mentioned at the beginning of this RMT are Nails's boner mon, this is, undoubtedly my boner mon. Swords Dance Drapion is incredibly good, as it easily cripples / defeats stall, and spams Knock Off against Offense / Balance. I originally had Aqua Tail over Earthquake, but I liked EQ's ability to hit Cobalion and opposing Drapion more than Aqua Tail's ability to hit Rhyperior, as Exploud should be wearing that down, or it should be lured by Meloetta. EQ also still hits Houndoom and Mega Steelix (for more actually, and with more accuracy), so it still does that well. Dugtrio is OHKOed by Knock Off regardless. Aqua Tail is still legitimate though, especially if you really hate Rhyperior.

Go Away (Exploud) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 24 HP / 252 SpA / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Surf

Choice Specs Exploud is obligatory on Sticky Web.

You need more, okay well Choice Specs Exploud is obligatory on Sticky Web. The EVs allow Exploud to outspeed Choice Scarf Emboar and Dugtrio under webs, it isn't worth investing in more speed, as Jolteon will outspeed even max Speed timid after Sticky Web. 252 SpA is for muh power, while the rest is thrown into HP, as Exploud has decent bulk, and there is actually 0 point in putting it into Speed. Choice Specs are fine on Exploud, as there is no way to click the wrong move (hint its Boomburst).

At The Altar (Doublade) @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sacred Sword
- Iron Head / Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak

Doublade is this teams Spin blocker, also it is one of two Pokemon on this team that I am willing to switch into opposing Pokemon, (the other being Meloetta). Sacred Sword is very necessary on this team, as it deals with Rest Curse Mega Steelix, and generally improves this teams match up against Mega Steelix. Sacred Sword can also lure in opposing Houndoom, its pretty fun when you catch a Houndoom on the switch with Sacred Sword and it just dies. Most of the time I've played with this team I've been using Iron Head as my STAB move of choice, as it improves my match up with Whimsicott, and it is still beating Cresselia even without Shadow Claw. I also just liked the flinch chance on Webs if I'm being 100% honest. Shadow Claw is still legitimate though, and helps to deal with Slowking, which can otherwise be somewhat annoying. Shadow Sneak is obviously really useful on a team with two Focus Sash + Endeavor Pokemon.

Give Your Life (Archeops) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Defeatist
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Endeavor

Can't claim credit for this set, as McMeghan was spamming it in UU before I even started building this team, but I'm cute and use Rock Slide > Rock Tomb, mostly cause fuck Houndoom, I'm killing that right off the bat. Taunt Endeavor SR Archeops is really useful on this team for dealing with opposing SR Taunt Cobalion, as Archeops is faster and can Taunt first, or go for SR if they predict the taunt and attack. This is essentially the same as Kricketune, except faster, with SR, and berd. Taunt also prevents Defog users from, well, using Defog, which is pretty important on this team.

Pay The Price (Kricketune) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 144 HP / 112 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sticky Web
- Endeavor
- Taunt
- Knock Off

For Forgiveness (Meloetta) @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Grass Knot
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam

The Sickness (Drapion) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sniper
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Earthquake

Go Away (Exploud) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 24 HP / 252 SpA / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Surf

At The Altar (Doublade) @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sacred Sword
- Iron Head
- Shadow Sneak

Give Your Life (Archeops) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Defeatist
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Endeavor

In conclusion, this is a pretty successful HO Sticky Web team that does more than just counter style Nails. Oh yeah, I was gonna prove that, and there is no better way to prove consistent success with a team than with the ladder, right? xD

I peaked number 8, but thats pretty irrelevant, I could peak higher if I played more games, but I don't really feel like it (ie #2 has over 100 more games than me, lol, I have like 50). The GXE is 84, which is pretty decent for a team intended to do well against a select style, while aiming to still be successful against every team style.

Shout outs to those that helped inspire me to make this team, you know who you are, (cause I already tagged you xD).

Thats my RMT, thanks for reading if you did :D.

edit, because I forgot: <blarajan> "now for shoutouts...here's to blarajan, for making my life worth living, for being my motivation to wake up each day and walk on my own two legs."

Last edited:
dang, i actually like this song, who would've thunk. those kricket ev's are hot too, fuck dude. gr8 rmt, couldn't ask for more

i get your concern with inaccuracy, but i find focus blast to be a necessary evil here @ melo; conceding momentum to cobal / durant / m-aboma looks nasty as hell here, being unable to pressure doomer is really huge here given you sac every time it grabs a free turn / webs aren't up. moreover, you really wanna to be able to reinforce that steel-overload function to accommodate your lack of resources for the more heavily defensive match-up.

kinda feel max speed is fine on exploud; i know that i've ran timid exploud enough for the sake of putting it over adamant tyrantrum, jolly emboar, etc., and the 24 hp evs are actually entirely extraneous. no harm in making a speed tie of it.

i'll do my gosh darnedest to hit up an rmt myself sometime, pinky promise

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
weak to alomomola, trash cteam IMO

seems really rhyperior weak, you are so desperate to lure it with melo, idk if i'd be comfortable building like that. though i wasn't using rhyp much so meh. i find this hard to rate, it really seems like you can't break bulky waters without hitting an endeavor, maybe i'm underrating how reliable endeavor strats are. but yea solid team, sry i didn't give you a serious game as it's kinda disappointing being on a 0 wins spl team in week 9.

also fix weakness to taunt houndoom imo

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
dang, i actually like this song, who would've thunk. those kricket ev's are hot too, fuck dude. gr8 rmt, couldn't ask for more
49 likes my song :D

i get your concern with inaccuracy, but i find focus blast to be a necessary evil here @ melo; conceding momentum to cobal / durant / m-aboma looks nasty as hell here, being unable to pressure doomer is really huge here given you sac every time it grabs a free turn / webs aren't up. moreover, you really wanna to be able to reinforce that steel-overload function to accommodate your lack of resources for the more heavily defensive match-up.

I will edit it accordingly, prolly gonna leave Dazzling Gleam slashed, as it does help against Spiritomb which can be a bitch if they are offensive variants.

Thank you for the rate :]

weak to alomomola, trash cteam IMO
Rude.

seems really rhyperior weak, you are so desperate to lure it with melo, idk if i'd be comfortable building like that. though i wasn't using rhyp much so meh. i find this hard to rate, it really seems like you can't break bulky waters without hitting an endeavor, maybe i'm underrating how reliable endeavor strats are. but yea solid team, sry i didn't give you a serious game as it's kinda disappointing being on a 0 wins spl team in week 9.

also fix weakness to taunt houndoom imo
Idk how weak I am to Rhyperior, it can be annoying cause it ruins my endeavor strats, but the other 4 Pokemon on the team make it's life hard (also Archeops lives 2 hit Rock Blasts, and can endeavor anyways o.o, I think Kricket does as well). Rhyperior is often going to be my opponents switch in to Exploud, which makes it a pretty terrible way to deal with any of my other Pokemon. Certain Alomomola variants can be a dick, especially if they get a high burn rate w/ Scald, but as long as I play well Exploud, Drapion, and Meloetta can all theoretically deal w/ Mola. Also your mono blue team was fire (and cheating cause Trio and Doomer aren't blue) so its all g ;o. Thanks for the rate :]

Stop CTing my CT :[

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)