Non-Pokébank OU Primarina and Pals (First Pokemon Moon Team)

Hello everyone! I'm here today with my first Pokemon Moon team I currently tested in a few battles (3 actually) and the result is it stills needs to be improved. I'm loving Pokemon Sun and Moon with all the new Pokemon and strategies so I had a go at creating a Pokemon Moon team for the first time!

Here's the Pokemon team I thought up and tested:

Minior
Nature: Jolly
IV's: 31/31/x/x/x/31
EV's: 252 Atk/4 Sp.Def/252 Speed
Ability: Shields Down
Held Item: Focus Sash
Stone Edge
Acrobatics
Stealth Rock
Explosion

First up is my Stealth Rock lead Pokemon. Since it can leave itself vulnerable with the ability Shields Down, I thought it would be good to set up and go BOOM! Of course, a competitive team sometimes must set up entry hazards to give you an advantage against Pokemon such as the almighty but nerfed Talonflame and opposing Focus Sash users.

Minior can also deal a ton of damage when it's out of it's shell with Stone Edge to take down Fire, Flying and Ice types and Acrobatics to take out frail Grass and Fighting types. But there will be a chance it can go up against a Pokemon that can take those hits very well. If that's the case, Minior would go all Michael Bay on the opponent. That's how I would use my Stealth Rock lead.

One thing to note however is when Focus Sash is used, first priority moves like Scizor's Bullet Punch can take it out and as mentioned before and Espeon with Magic Bounce and those with Magic Coat are a big problem so I must be aware of that.

Salazzle
Nature: Timid
IV's: 31/x/31/31/31/31
EV's: 252 Sp.Atk/4 Sp.Def/252 Speed
Ability: Corrosion
Held Item: Life Orb
Flamethrower
Sludge Bomb
Dragon Pulse
Nasty Plot

Up next is the fiery lizard known as Salazzle. I really liked the designs of Salandit and Salazzle when I encountered them for the first time so I actually raised this Pokemon after some Pokemon breeding. This Pokemon takes the role as a special sweeper and it can be REALLY dangerous after a single Nasty Plot. After one Nasty Plot, Salazzle can deal immense amount of damage to the opponent's Pokemon team thanks to it's Special Attack, fast Speed and the use of Life Orb.

For it's moveset, Flamethrower is chosen so there won't be a risk of missing the opponent, Sludge Bomb as her strongest move (and can even poison Poison types thanks to it's Corrosion ability) and Dragon Pulse for Dragon type Pokemon and those that are Rock types. Dragon Pulse was the only thing I had in mind when raising my Salazzle as I was unable to get the right Hidden Power type. (Bummer!)

Even though this Pokemon can greatly sweep opponents, she also has frail defenses so a really strong move (especially one that's super-effective) can take her down in one hit. Pokemon such as Musdale, Golem and even Gyarados are threats to this Pokemon.

Flygon
Nature: Adamant
IV's: 31/31/31/x/31/31
EV's: 252 Atk/4 Sp.Def/252 Speed
Ability: Levitate
Held Item: Lum Berry
Dragon Claw
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Dragon Dance

Oh, Flygon...How you were being left out when Trainers favor Salamence and Dragonite. Now, you can be just like them now you've got Dragon Dance. After I heard Flygon can now learn Dragon Dance, I just had to try it out because I do like Pokemon that were considered underdogs as it makes Pokemon battling a lot more interesting. With a move to raise it's Speed along with 2 STAB moves, opponents would have to think twice before underestimating Flygon.

I chose Adamant instead of Jolly because I want Flygon to deal as much damage as possible and it can still out speed certain Pokemon like the nerfed Gengar. The Lum Berry it's holding gets rid of a single burn, sleep, poison and freeze condition so it has another chance of sweeping. Finally, Stone Edge is to handle opposing Ice, Flying and Fire types (that don't have a secondary type that resists it).

Flygon still has it's threats though. Any Ice type and Fairy type moves can take this Pokemon out. Not only that, Pokemon such as Celesteela and Skarmory can completely wall it as Flygon doesn't learn any physical Fire type moves. So for them, my best bet is to try and take them out with Salazzle or Flygon is gonna have a bad time.

Skarmory
Nature: Impish
EV's: 252 HP/252 Def/4 Sp.Def
Ability: Sturdy
Held Item: Rocky Helmet
Brave Bird
Spikes
Whirlwind
Roost

Behold, the mighty physical wall! Skarmory is still one of the best physically defensive Pokemon out there to this day and it shows with it's brilliant entry hazard and Whirlwind support. Heck, I've got one in my Pokemon Moon game and it was great in the Battle of Alola competition so you should give this Pokemon a go too.

Anyway, the reason why it shines is it's Spikes and Whirlwind strategy. First, it sets up the Spikes on the opponent's field. After using the move 3 times, it's time to use Whirlwind. Pokemon that set up like Pinsir's Swords Dance will be completely blown away by this move (literally) as it causes complete chaos to the opponent and as soon as the opponent's Pokemon HP is low enough, Skarmory shall finish it off with a Brave Bird. This method is superb when combined with Stealth Rock! Also, it's not a complete physical wall without Roost.

However, Pokemon with special attacking moves are a different story since this is a physical wall. Heavy hitting Pokemon such as Tapu Lele, Magearna, Drampa, Raichu, Tapu Koko those who carry Taunt, Switcheroo or Trick and even Fire types such as Incineroar, Talonflame can take this bird down with no problem. It's true this Pokemon is fantastic but nobody's perfect, am I right?

Dhelmise
Nature: Adamant
EV's: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Sp.Def
Ability: Steelworker
Held Item: Leftovers
Shadow Claw
Power Whip
Anchor Shot
Rapid Spin

Another newcomer to the table, Dhelmise! Quite an interesting Pokemon this one. Not only does this Pokemon hit hard with it's high Attack power, it's also a Rapid Spinner and has an immunity to Rapid Spinner. Not to mention it has an ability that powers up Steel type moves. I knew I had to put in a Rapid Spinner somewhere to handle entry hazards on my side of the field so that's why I chose this one.

This one takes the role as a bulky physical attacker plus Rapid Spin supporter. Shadow Claw is to handle Psychic types and other Ghost types, Power Whip to take care of Pokemon like Gastrodon and the powerful Anchor Shot to take care of Fairy, Rock and Ice types. Oh, and Rapid Spin if there are any floating rocks and spikes.

The threats this Pokemon face are Ghost, Dark, Ice, Flying and Fire types that out speed it such as Gengar, Talonflame, Salazzle, Ninetales, Muk and Incineroar again. I definitely don't want this Rapid Spinner to faint, otherwise I won't have anything to get rid of the opposing entry hazards!

Primarina
Nature: Modest
IV's: 31/x/31/31/31/31
EV's: 252 HP/252 Sp.Atk/4 Sp.Def
Ability: Torrent
Held Item: Assault Vest
Hydro Pump
Moonblast
Ice Beam
Psychic

Finally, here's Primarina, one of my favorite Pokemon. I love using this Pokemon as it has brilliant special attack and special defense. Not to mention, it's a very beautiful Pokemon. This Pokemon takes the role of a bulky Special sweeper with the use of Assault Vest as it has a wide variety of special moves. Choice Specs would be a considerable option but I want my team to handle special attacks a bit more.

I want Primarina to cause as much damage as possible to opponents so Hydro Pump is the preferred option over Surf and Scald despite the 80% accuracy. Moonblast as another STAB move and it can also be used if I want to play safe. Ice Beam to freeze Dragon, Grass, Ground and Flying types rock solid and Psychic to handle Poison types such as Toxapex.

Primarina however can have trouble getting around physical attackers like Minior after a Shell Smash, Mega Metagross and Kartana for instance. Even Poison type special attackers can deal heavy damage to this Pokemon which is worrisome. That's where Skarmory comes in to handle those kind of threats for her.

Well, there it is! My first competitive Pokemon Moon team. So far, I still think there's more work to be done but I don't know where to start. Sorry, sometimes I have trouble planning on what task to work on first. However, I might give one of those Tapu legendaries a go to see how I feel. Still, I hope you like this team so far.

Thanks for reading! Happy battling and Merry Christmas!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)