ORAS OU Prisoned in the Ivory Tower [TR Offense ft. Marowak]

Prisoned in the Ivory Tower

Random ass Music that shares name with the random title of the rmt to be kewl:​

So, Marowak also used to be one of my favourite Pokemon due to its cool and unique design, and his rich lore and backstory, taking place in Lavender town, and also the 'marowak is supposed to evolve into kangashkan thingy'. Therefore i tried to create a halfway viable Team around Marowak. Yes, i know that Marowak is ass, and i can confirm that from experience, since Marowak doesnt really do much in most matches. The only approach i deemed somewhat worth trying to make Marowak work was trick room, which was kinda handy, esp. since i wanted to try Trick room anyways.

Teambuilding Process:

Marowak is a given, Hoopa-U because i never used it before, and yeah its a savage under Trick room​

Now that i had 2 TR sweepers, i needed Setters and ways to deal with the weakness of TR to priority, dark types, and U-turn. Megabro deals with most Kinds of Priority and soft-walls half of the physical threats in the tier. Aromatisse was a experimental pick due to its Fairy typing and immunity to taunt and P2 was my pick for a third setter, simply bc its kinda made a nice typing core with the other 2.

That left me with one spot left. As a third TR sweeper i chose Victini, since it helped me with the fairy weakness i had and also allowed me to change Bro into a CM wincon, really helping vs the Offense matchup. Victini also pressures Bulky Waters and Grounds alongside Marowak, so i figured those 2 would work well together.

After playing a bit i realized that i autolose to Bisharp and lack Priority, so i decided to add Low kick Bisharp for a dark Check and, Priority User and to form a darkspam core with Hoopa. That meant that i kinda had to change Bro back to TR tho unfortunately, since i lost one TR setter in P2.

This left me with a Bulky Offense Team consisting of:

Lost Sinner (Marowak) (M) @ Thick Club
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Bonemerang
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Pretty basic, really. Thick Club is the only Item for Marowak obviously, Battle Armor because its other abilities would be even more useless for this set, Max Attack, Max Hp and Min speed. Your Basic TR sweeper. Bonemerang and Edge provide good coverage and the ability to break Subs, which isnt great but came in handy once or twice. Knock off is nice Utility to cripple things like Rotom and allows for Midground plays if the opponent for example has heatran in and a flying type in the back. Rocks over SD/sub/coverage because i lack another setter and Rox are obviously mandatory.

Darklurker (Hoopa-Unbound) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magician
EVs: 80 HP / 164 Atk / 252 SpA / 12 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 13 Spe
- Dark Pulse
- Drain Punch
- Gunk Shot
- Psychic

Slightly less Basic. 164 Attack bc its the standard amount and needed to OHKO clef with Gunk iirc. Max Special Attack because i already had a powerful physical sweeper in Marowak. 80 Hp because it hits a LO number and the rest into special bulk just because i didn't really need those Ev's anywhere else. 13 Speed IV's outspeed Neutral Speed Clef outside of TR, which i prefered, since i don't want to rely on getting up TR vs Stall. It also outspeeds Zero Speed Heracross and other stuff in the TR mirror match, which happened once or twice. Movepool is quite obvious tbh.

Ivory King (Slowbro-Mega) @ Slowbronite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
- Trick Room
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off

Megabro is a god. Checks many Things that threaten Trick room, especially priority Users like Azumarill and Tflame. Not much to say tbh, just a blanket check that pairs really well with Hoopa if one runs Cm, since CM megabro bodies Offense and Hoopa bodies Bulky Builds. Standard defensive Spread since i mainly want Bros defensive Capabilities, but i thought about changing this into a more offensive Tank Spread.

Priscilla (Aromatisse) @ Leftovers
Ability: Aroma Veil
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 84 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Trick Room
- Moonblast

Aromatisse basically is my poor mans Clef. Its worse in most aspects, but kinda checks the same things while having access to TR. My electric check, Diancie Check, Knock Off absorber and reliable TR setter due to being immune to taunt. I still feel like its one of my weakspots, since its passive af, and the only thing on the team that lets stuff like Hippo recover back up, which kinda hampers the offensive core, but i really dont know how to replace this, since its utility is really good.

The Pursuer (Bisharp) @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
IVs: 15 Spe
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Low Kick

Bisharp is my check for other Bisharps, non Low Kick Weavile, Support Tar and so on. Also provides me with Priority and has proven to be really effective. Doesn't really need TR but also appreciates it and enjoys Marowak and Tini wearing down Hippo and others. I honestly forgot what i put 15 Speed Iv's for.

Bed of Chaos (Victini) @ Charcoal
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpA
Brave Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Glaciate
- Trick Room

Victini is a TR god, just like Hoopa. This thing has very few switchins, and almost always gets a kill or two. also gives me a pseudo-switchins to the likes of Zard Y, Gardevoir, Clef and so on. Charcoal is better than LO imo, since Tini has really good bulk and i don't wanna take away from that.

Weaknesses:

This Team is somewhat effective from what i have noticed, but also has a Shitton of weaknesses.
First of all, i lack hazard removal, which means rocks really hurt Tini, so it should most of the time be used to break holes asap. Spikes also severely hurt my team, since Aromatisse completely loses its ability to check electrics, diancie, kyurem etc. with 2 layers of hazards up, since its already a shaky answer with rocks alone. At the same time, i couldnt really fit a hazard remover on this team, since there are little that fit trick rooms playstyle, the main way to avoid hazards is ending a game before hazards matter too much. That being said, Scizor also is a great danger once hazards are up, since my main way to switch into it is Tini. Other threats include Crawdaunt, Gyarados, Sharpedo, Kingdra, Offensive Starmie, Pinsir, BD Azumarill, Bisharp, and Torn-T. Those are basically avoided by keeping a TR setter at full and just overwhelming the enemy before they can overwhelm you, but stuff like SD Pinsir and BD Azu obviously doesn't care 2 much and kinda 6:0's, which is another reason why aromatisse is way too passive in my opinion, since it gives those free setup.​

Welcome to smogon, friend!
Did you actually listen to the song? But seriously, I think you should

1. Use normal slowbro instead of mega slowbro because regenerator is better for a trick room setter and I feel like it would be switching it out alot. And you can use another mega, which is about to be listed

2. Replace aromatisse with mega gardevoir. It may not be as good on the defensive side, but your team can use more offense, and you already have like, what is it? 3 trick room setters? Thats good enough

3. Replace marowak with Lando-T. Now I know that marowak is the "unique" part of the team that sets it apart from other teams, so i'm not saying that you 100% should replace it with lando-T, but it's something to consider. It's got better stats, it has intimidate and access to u-turn, witch is great for any trick room team. You can also run a very similar set so it's easy to get used to.

Well that was my first rate ever! I feel proud! Sorry if the grammar isn't that great, i'm kind of on a tight schedule. I hope this helped you and here is what the team should look like after these changes:
http://pastebin.com/kpWMW8kj
I hope you enjoy your new team! I tried my best to change just a little so that there isn't much of a shift in gameplay when you use it. And like I said, this is my first rate so don't expect any miracles from these changes.

EDIT: Just looked over the team again and dark pulse should be hyperspace fury.

Last edited:
Yeah i listened to the song beforehand, cool one for sure, but not my favourite :P
I will Try the Slowbro and Gardevoir Changes, but i will keep Marowak, even though i know its not optimal.
No, Dark Pulse is supposed to be there and is definitely a solid choice, considering many known players recently advertised specs Hoopa which obviously also utilizes Pulse. Thx for your rate :)

Yeah i listened to the song beforehand, cool one for sure, but not my favourite :P
I will Try the Slowbro and Gardevoir Changes, but i will keep Marowak, even though i know its not optimal.
No, Dark Pulse is supposed to be there and is definitely a solid choice, considering many known players recently advertised specs Hoopa which obviously also utilizes Pulse. Thx for your rate :)
I'm wouldn't be so sure about that. Unless you are trying to hit physical walls harder, (which psychic does most of the time) hypserspace fury does more damage on the set you are running. I put a blank celabi in the damage calc, put in your set and calculated which would do more. Celabi has the same defense and special defense so it's pretty solid proof.

252+ SpA Life Orb Hoopa Unbound Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Celebi: 460-541 (134.8 - 158.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
=============================================================================
164 Atk Life Orb Hoopa Unbound Hyperspace Fury vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Celebi: 471-556 (138.1 - 163%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)