ORAS OU (Pronounced Vince Twenty-Six Twelve)

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Introduction

Hello everyone! This is Vinc2612 and I am going to show you my favourite build in ORAS OU. It has been a while since I have said “I will make a RMT someday”. I think the time is right, I know exactly which one of my teams deserves it. I made this team for the World Cup of Pokémon, though I did not get the chance to play it in the tournament. The former version was used by ZoroDark (then by Twin Citiez in the recreation) to get a win against what looked like the worst possible matchup, removing the doubts I could have had about the team's efficiency.

The goal is pretty straightforward: Volturn to the win while outspeeding pretty much every threat someone could send at me. It is based on the standard Mega-Manectric + Tornadus-Therian core, with the right support so they can sweep through their counters and checks.

The Team

Super Chewer @ Rocky Helmet
Rough Skin
Impish (+Def, -SpA)
252 HP, 156 Def, 100 Spe

Stealth Rock
Earthquake
Dragon Tail
Endure​

Why this Pokémon?

He is my Stealth Rock user, since every team needs one. He is also my main switch to physical attackers: contact moves deal 30% to the user. Earthquake is the main stab, Dragon Tail is a good phazing move that prevents an opponent from setting up. It also comes in hands on a predicted switch-in to give additional hazard damages. Endure is the last move, allowing me to grab some extra 30% against fast physical attackers when they should have killed me. I am looking at Metagross, Lopunny, Gyarados, Feraligatr…
The EVs allow me to outspeed Bisharp, and Pokémon willing to outspeed Bisharp. The rest is in HP then defense to take the less possible damages from physical attackers (tanking +2 Sucker Punch from Bisharp is an example).

Other options?

Toxic is a very good move over Endure, mainly as a second chance to beat Hippowdon. It is up to your personal preference here, since any threat covered by Endure or Toxic is more or less covered by the rest of the team as well.

Queen of Clubs @ Choice Band
Shadow Tag
Calm (+SpD, -Atk)
92 HP, 120 SpA, 108 SpD, 188 Spe

Trick
Grass Knot
Psychic
Rest​

Why this Pokémon?

I needed something able to deal with some specific walls. Chansey, Clefable, Quagsire and Gastrodon are the worst threats for the Manectric + Tornadus core. Well, Gothitelle traps and kills them all. The EV spread is optimized to tank both Moonblast crit + Moonblast + Moonblast from Unaware Clefable, Lava Plume crit + Lava Plume + Lava Plume from Heatran... Allowing me to trick them then PPwast with Rest. Grass Knot allows me to trap and kill Hippowdon and the Ground/Water that counter Manectric.
The Speed allows me to outspeed Heatran and Trick it before an eventual Taunt. The rest goes in SpA to deal the maximum amount of damages to Hippowdon and Venusaur, effectively trapping and killing them.

Other options?

A strong wallbreaker.Very strong. Landorus-I strong. Hard to find, that is why I would not consider another Pokémon anymore. SD Feraligatr was there before I thought about Gothitelle, and it works, but still less reliably.

Passe-Partout @ Leftovers
Prankster
Calm (+SpD, -Atk)
252 HP, 4 Def, 252 SpD

Spikes
Thunder Wave
Magnet Rise
Foul Play​

Why this Pokémon?

I do not have a scarf, so I needed something to save me from Dragon Dancers. It also brings me the so needed steel typing, being able to switch on Latios, Gardevoir and their friends. The Spikes are some additional support. Magnet Rise allows me to stack the Spikes against Hippowdon, Garchomp or Landorus-Therian. Foul Play prevents the opponent from setting up some physical attackers like Scizor.

Other Options?

Toxic on either Spikes or Magnet Rise. It helps against Hippowdon mainly.

Wanderlust @ Assault Vest
Regenerator
Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
132 HP, 160 SpA, 216 Spe

Hurricane
Knock Off
U-Turn
Focus Blast​

Why this Pokémon?

First half of my main core, Tornadus-Therian is the Pokémon that does not want to die. It can come on the grass and ground Pokémon that may switch on Manectric, while Manectric will take the electric moves aimed at Tornadus. Knock Off is ridiculously useful in ORAS, while Focus Blast helps me against Heatran (since I only have one fire resistance, it is nice to check it with Tornadus). The EVs allow me to OHKO Keldeo while outspeeding Scarf Tyranitar.

SDNT @ Life Orb
Pickpocket
Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)
252 Atk, 4 SpD, 252 Spe

Swords Dance
Knock Off
Icicle Crash
Ice Shard​

Why this Pokémon?

It completes my fast core with perfection, offenses are often kind of weak to it. It also helps a lot against stall, since Gothitelle wins against both unaware Pokémon. Overall a wonderful threat, that can come pretty easily with the Volturn. Little bonus: I can return my opponent’s knock offs against them with Pickpocket (although it will only activates on the second contact move).

Other Options?

Pursuit over Swords Dance. It helps a lot against Starmie match-ups and eases the game against some other frail or moderately frail attackers.

O-Rage @ Manectite
Lightning Rod
Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
252 SpA, 4 SpD, 252 Spe

Thunderbolt
Volt Switch
Hidden Power [ice]
Flamethrower

Why this Pokémon?

Because without him, there would be no team. It hits like a truck, and when it does not kill, it Volt Switches to the appropriate trap or counter. He usually finishes off the teams, and he is the best for that. It brings a nice revenge kill on waters like Manaphy or Suicune, also on Flying like Pinsir or Talonflame. Finally, it has a strong synergy with Tornadus-Therian, allowing me to slowly beat the opposing team with the infamous Volturn.

Other Options?

Overheat over Flamethrower. There is no better move in my opinion, it comes down to personal preference.

Main Threats

Sableye-Mega. The CM/WoW/ShadowBall/Recover can set up on half on my team and I can not counter it after 1 or 2 Calm Minds. When I face it, Garchomp only's task will be to DTail it. It's always on hardstall so Garchomp has no other use anyway. If it can not set up, it is not dangerous. I will "just" need to get a Manectric vs non-boosted Sableye at some point to get the momentum, trap Manectric's counters then win.

Charizard. The Y hits way too strong for my team, almost nothing can take a hit. I can still RK with Manectric or Weavile, but I definitely need to be careful. The X is probably even worse, I can only paralyze it to avoid the 6-0.

Manaphy. Manectric kills it, but it can’t really come on Scald. I usually try to predict if either it sets up (then I send Manectric) or if it scalds (go Tornadus), but this Pokémon is really terrible to face with any team. Banhammer please!

Conclusion

And here we are! I hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed building and testing the team. If you have any question or suggestion, feel free to post. I apology for any English mistake that I have probably made.

Finally, three shout-outs that I feel are well deserved:

Tomahawk (and the rest of team Europe), for being respectively an amazing captain and the best teammates in the World Cup.
Alf', for all the help in building and testing. He is also a beast at Pokémon and the chilliest user on this site, you better not stop before me!
Unamed (and my other buddies from the room franais), always there to help as well, which is really appreciated.

Importable

Super Chewer (Garchomp) (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Endure

Queen of Clubs (Gothitelle) (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 92 HP / 120 SpA / 108 SpD / 188 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Trick
- Grass Knot
- Psychic
- Rest

Passe-Partout (Klefki) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Foul Play
- Magnet Rise

Wanderlust (Tornadus-Therian) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 132 HP / 160 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- Knock Off
- U-turn

SDNT (Weavile) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Pickpocket
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard

O-Rage (Manectric) (M) @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Flamethrower

Last edited:
Hey nice RMT! Just one main suggestion:

-I'd run Swords Dance > Pursuit on Weavile. I really don't see much of a need in Pursuit on this team; Klefki + AV Torn-T + non-Pursuit Weavile does a good enough job covering common Pursuit targets like Latis, Zams, Gengar, etc. Also, this team doesn't really have much for a possible win condition. You can break stall with Gothitelle, and weaken teams (in general) with hazards, VoltTurn, Chomp (Rocky Helm + Rough Skin), etc., but you don't really have any hard hitters. Swords Dance Weavile can do a good job of sweeping, and it can help handle some of the main threats to this team (Hippo, pre-Dragon Dance Char-X, Char-Y, and Manaphy) after an SD.

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Weavile has always been a pursuiter in my mind and I wouldn't have come to this myself, but that looks like a great improvement. I'll test it today and get back to you later

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
Swords Dance is indeed amazing in most of the cases. The only time I really missed pursuit was against Hazard Stack + Starmie, since they can spam hazard and remove mine when I can not. I can't out-offense those teams anymore. I can still play around but it can stack to other threats (Hippowdon!) pretty easily, so I'm not allowed any single mispredict anymore.

Overall I feel like Swords Dance deserves to be the main move and Pursuit the first "other option", thank you again for the advice!

Swords Dance is indeed amazing in most of the cases. The only time I really missed pursuit was against Hazard Stack + Starmie, since they can spam hazard and remove mine when I can not. I can't out-offense those teams anymore. I can still play around but it can stack to other threats (Hippowdon!) pretty easily, so I'm not allowed any single mispredict anymore.

Overall I feel like Swords Dance deserves to be the main move and Pursuit the first "other option", thank you again for the advice!
No problem man! Speaking on the hazard issue: when I originally rated this team, I wanted to say something about the lack of hazard removal, but the only thing that came to mind was replacing Klefki with SpD Skarmory. However, IMO Klefki's Prankster Thunder Wave + Foul Play is really important to this team for making set up sweepers less of a problem. Skarmory can help in this regard somewhat (big focus on that somewhat) with Sturdy + Whirlwind, but this obviously isn't too reliable. IMO if you find set up sweepers like Charizard-X to be less of a problem than before, you might want to test Skarm > Klefki just to see your options.

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
My plan against hazard is to always set more hazard on the opponent's field than he does on mine. It works great when I'm not facing Starmie since Klefki can spam spikes so easily and if both fields are full of spikes, I win because my Pokémon are faster.
That's why I think that the last chance twave is way more important than defog.

Last edited:

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
After thinking more about m00ns change (the Swords Dance one), I thought about allowing Gothitelle to enlarge the wide of trapped Pokémon (mainly Starmie). The new spread I came up with is the following:

Gothitelle@Choice Band
Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk)
92 HP, 132 SpA, 108 SpD, 176 Spe

Trick
Psychic
Grass Knot
Rest

92 EVs HP gives a stat of 304, so Chansey is out.
92 EVs HP + 108 EVs SpD allows me to never get 3HKO'd by SpeDef Heatran (including one Lava Plume crit). 176 HP Speed allows me to outspeed SpeDef Heatran (213 speed vs 207 for the standard set). So Heatran is out.
The same SpeDef allows me to never get 3HKO'd by Starmie's Scald (including two crits). So Starmie is out.
The same SpeDef allows me to never get 3HKO'd by Clefable's Moonblast (including one crit). So Clefable is out if I trap it before it uses Calm Mind (the only drawback of that new spread).
The Rest in SpA, giving me a fair 85% to 2HKO 252/112 Hippowdon. So Hippowdon is out.
I can 2HKO any Quagsire as well, OHKO with a single layer of Spikes. So Quagsire is out.
Gastrodon is also 2HKO 98% of the time. So Gastrodon is out.
Venusaur is outspeeded and 2HKO. So Venusaur is out.
Amoonguss is 2HKO as well. So Amoonguss is out.

Choice Band so I can PPwast easily the special attackers when needed without being outspeeded.

Is there any Manectric counter I forgot except some AV users that can not heal anyway?

WhiteQueen

the queen bee
is a Tiering Contributorwon the 11th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
Nice RMT, Vince Twenty-Six Twelve. I understand Mega Manectric is the star of this team. But may I suggest replacing him with Assault Vest Raikou and replacing Weavile with Mega Diancie? You'll still maintain your fast VoltTurn core with Raikou. With the addition of Diancie, foes will think twice about using hazards on you, which in a way is a pseudo-hazard control. Diancie also helps against both Charizard X and Y. AV Raikou takes hits better from Manaphy and Zard Y, and has the offensive presence to chase both of those Pokemon away. I would replace Focus Blast on Torn-T with Heat Wave too, as Scizor and Ferrothorn could be problematic. These changes won't compromise the goals of your team.

I like the mono attack Rest Gothitelle. It wrecks stall teams and is a win condition.

Last edited:

Tele

a quality human being
Standard Mega Sableye (with cm and willo) seems a big problem to the team. I dont know what to suggest without changing the team too much either. maybe Charizard x over manec?

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
I must admit I am not a big fan of the two last suggestions.

WhiteQueen, your version works in theory... But it looks like I just auto-lose against Hippowdon. I'm losing my Ice-type, my electric type has a weaker HP ice and my Gothitelle can not beat it anymore. Of course I can beat it with trick + attack spam, but I'm losing my scarf in the process, and Hippowdon is almost always played with other things to trap (read: Clefable). Mega-Scizor also just wins. And Diancie can't come on Chomp / Hippowdon / Skarmory / Ferrothorn either so not the best way to prevent hazards. All in all, I'd rather stay with the current version.

Tele, my current way of dealing against this Sableye is preventing the set up. Against stall (especially with mega-sableye), Garchomp's only task is to Dtail it if it does set the calm mind up then not making the same mistake again. While I agree that this is far from optimal, I really don't like the alternative you suggested, making me weaker to so many threats that it just can't work.

ZoroDark

esse quam videri
is a Tiering Contributor
Hey Vink!

As I was one of the 2 people using this team in WCOP, I feel obliged to say a couple of words. I loved the Feraligatr version the moment I saw it, but after running the two versions against some threats, this one is probably more solid. I think the biggest annoyance for your team (the version with Rest + CM Gothitelle) is Hippowdon. It stops Mega Manectric cold, you can't really kill it easily and it's just a pain in the rear. It's a really small chance but putting Toxic > Endure on Garchomp would already go a really long way in wearing it down. I don't think you really need Encore as your entire team consists of speedsters to revenge kill most threats and you have Klefki too! The Grass Knot Gothitelle actually looks like an amazing fix to the same problem, but even then Toxic over Endure might still be worth it.

Hope I helped and thank you for sharing this team :)

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
"You don't really need Endure as your entire team consists of speedsters to revenge kill most threats and you have Klefki too!"
It actually works in both ways, I don't really need Toxic as my team consist of trapping Hippowdon to clean with Manectric. I am not saying that Endure is better, both moves are pretty situational and up to personal preference. The main reason I prefer Endure comes from the battles which showed me that the less responsabilities I give to Klefki, the more often I win. Thunder Wave is a self-destruct move in many cases so against HO, I am glad if I can take one less hit.

Edited the first post with Gothitelle's new moveset, threat list updated (Sableye > Hippowdon) and I've put Toxic as the only other option for Garchomp. The Import is updated as well.

Hello Vincnuméros !
I would run 252 Spe Timid Nature on Tornadus-Therian, because it will outspeed Alakazam. Great team and congratz for Showcase !

I think xtrashine posted a Klefki set with Play Rough, Safeguard and max Atk which let's you 2HKO M-Sableye and spike all over it. I don't know if it's worth the loss of bulk (as well as Magnet Rise / Thunder Wave and Foul Play), but you may consider it :]

Klefki (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Spikes
- Safeguard
- Magnet Rise / Thunder Wave

Have a nice day

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
Thunder Wave can't be replaced. The rest sounds very good and I'll definitely try it out. Thank you very much!

Also sorry Vinc608 I didn't notice your post, but I do not think that Alakazam is a problem in any way. I have a faster Psychic immunity, another faster Pokémon that can break the sash with Volt Switch, priority T-Wave... And the Psychic version doesn't even hurt Tornadus. I would rather keep more bulk, and force a tie / be slower than other Tornadus-T to U-Turn in second.

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
not that I play OU, but possibly blackglasses over life orb on weavile could work? It's your main way to break down stall, but with the stealth rock weakness and absence of hazard clearance, + life orb recoil, + potentially sand, weavile might suffer from not enough longevity versus stall teams.

This being said I don't rly have any expertise. Cool looking team tho :]

I've been trying out this team and I absolutely love it! Could I maybe request a couple replays to see this in action? I always like to see how the OP uses the team aswell as trying it out myself.

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
fuzzy, sorry for the very late notice.
I love you. I love you very much. I tested it, and... I just didn't feel the loss of Magnet Rise. And instead, I got a wonderful Sableye-M check. Thanks.

Julie Chen, I've used it today for the OLT. I didn't save most replays because they were either uninteresting or because I just forgot to click on the button or because I lost but here are a couple of replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-267889117
Goth stall. I discovered the hard way that you can't trap Cress. I also lost a couple of times because you can't trap Amoonguss (Foul Play + Black Sludge damages hurt) nor Skarmory (shed shell, he switched to his own Gothitelle that weren't choiced at this point, gg). But when you don't choke like I do, this matchup is pretty good.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-267887862
Offense. Here goes the Manectric sweep, the early plays are made in order to weaken checks (Raikou, Hoopa-U), also checking if checks are actual checks (scarf Keldeo?)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-267895566
Another offense. His dragons could have been very annoying, the early switches were made to check if scarf or not (non-scarf would not have stayed on Weavile, scarf would have Fusion Bolted). Then keep the pressure and stack hazard to allow the sweep.

If I think about saving more replays tomorrow, I'll add them up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)