PS! PU Room Teambuilding Workshops

pancake

movement and location
is a Contributor Alumnus
Idea stolen from NU, who stole it from Doubles, OP Largely Stolen from Orphic, banner/art coming soon, Approved by Anty

rsz_rsz_banenr_mawile_ffraxure_by_ixjackiexx-da86ix6.png

Thanks to Jackii for the amazing banner art!

thread managed by Akir and VeryPinkPancakes, workshops hosted by all PU auth

Welcome to PU Teambuilding Workshops!

What is this?
A community teambuilding event we sporadically hold in groupchats, which will be advertised in the PU Room on Pokemon Showdown. The intent is to get a bunch of users involved in an event where we can work together to build a cool team together. Hopefully, new players will come hang out with us to see how we teambuild, what we usually prepare for when making a team. Most importantly, the project aims to create a load of fun, creative and solid teams. In this thread, you may post suggestions for Pokemon you would like us to build around.

How will this work?
I want to make this as simple as possible. Obviously when building a team, we need an idea. Whoever is hosting the workshop is in control of what the group will be building with, but if they don't already have an idea, it's up to everyone to pitch in and submit ideas. The host is in charge of guiding discussion and the direction the team will be headed. Once a draft of the team is constructed, it's common for the players to find games to test out the team to see if there are any obvious issues that need to be addressed. Following this, the team will be posted here for the community to access.

Where will this happen?
This will happen in the PS PU Room. They'll create a group chat where the building will take place and advertise it in the public chat so anyone can join in. One member of the PU roomauth or me will be the workshop's main host, and they will be working with one or more cohosts. However, everyone can help pitch in ideas for the team; the hosts can not think of everything themselves.

How often will those workshops happen?
These will be hosted randomly at the discretion of the hosts. We will attempt to host them as much as possible, but our aim is to try and do one once every two days. We will also attempt to do these over varying times of the day to make sure everyone has a chance to get involved.

What if I'm PU Room Auth and I want to host one?
Just announce in the PU room on PS! that you are hosting one, make a groupchat and start! (This has been changed from the old version). Please don't host them at the time of the official tours. After the workshop, test the team and then post with a description, workshop logs, a replay and shoutouts.

Post Pokemon Suggestions!
Although the hosts can decide what they would like to work with, feel free to post mons that you would like to see used in one of our teambuilding workshops.

Current Teams:

Spikes + NP Chatot Balance (6/20)
(hosted by VeryPinkPancakes & Kaboom)

Murkrow + Monferno HO (6/30) (hosted by 5gen)

(Break for Machoke Suspect)

SS Crustle Bulky Offense (7/17) (hosted by Acast)

NP Mime + Scarf Chatot Offense (7/31) (hosted by Akir and 5gen)
or

The Dark Spam Teams (8/14) (hosted by VeryPinkPancakes)

(frog) and (dog) Balance/Offense (8/27) (hosted by VeryPinkPancakes, Terrakion. and others)
or

Murkrow-Muk Balance (10/1) (hosted by The Jungle Fox)
or

Last edited:
I Would Like to make a suggestion of building around Life Orb SubSplit Rotom-Frost. A very underrated set right no in my opinion.

Rotom-Frost @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Blizzard
- Pain Split
- Substitute

5gen

jumper
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Suggesting Silk Scarf Chatot w/ Encore. Able to bluff specs and boosts the already powerful Boomburst while being able to switch up moves. Encore for free turns :D

Chatot @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Tangled Feet
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Boomburst
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Encore

pancake

movement and location
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hey, reminder to auth that they can host these without me now! I just want to host the first one, you can reserve them by yourselves.

Hosting a teambuilding workshop tomorrow (June 20th) at 8:15 EST (GMT -4) with good user: Kaboom cohosting! I hope you will join us. When the event starts, the groupchat will be advertised in PU mainchat.

also me scheduling this taught kaboom that est was gmt -4 xd

pancake

movement and location
is a Contributor Alumnus
Spikes + NP Chatot Balance (6/20 Workshop)

This team is based around Silk Scarf Nasty Plot Chatot, which is able to bluff Choice items really well. Chinchou checks things that threaten Chatot like Electrics, Regice, etc. Chatot also really appreciates the Spikes support that Quilladin gives, and Quilladin is able to check Golem. Metang is our rock setter. It also helps check Machoke. Altaria is a check to Ninetales and other fires and another sweeper. At this point, we needed a fast hazard remover, and considering that we were hazard stack ourselves, Cryogonal was the only option.

Chatot @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Keen Eye
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Heat Wave
- Nasty Plot
- Encore / Hidden Power Fighting

Chinchou @ Eviolite
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 176 HP / 252 SpD / 80 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Quilladin @ Eviolite
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Roar
- Seed Bomb
- Synthesis

Metang @ Eviolite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Pursuit

Altaria @ Yache Berry
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 68 SpD / 192 Spe
Careful Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Roost
- Earthquake

Cryogonal @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Freeze-Dry
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Replay (vs. Akir): http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-389270967

pancake

movement and location
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'm going to be away for the next week but I'd like people to host workshop(s) while I'm gone so I encourage all voices and up to reserve workshops at this point.

That being said, I'm gonna suggest a mon so this post isn't totally irrelevant.

I'd like people to build around Kingler.

Kingler @ Splash Plate
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Agility
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off
- Superpower

5gen

jumper
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Got a few mons to suggest (not meant to be a core)

Golduck @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
Modest Nature
- Rain Dance
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock

RD Golduck, pretty strong self-setting rain sweeper. Able to trash most things with Hydro/Ice Beam/Psyshock but suffers from being semi-easily revenged outside of rain. A build can go either full rain or just support a Golduck sweep depends on your preference.

Murkrow @ Life Orb
Ability: Super Luck or Prankster
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive or Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Hidden Power [Fighting]/Thunder Wave

Another hard hitter. LO Murk has always been a threatening mon with Brave Bird denting fat mons like Gourg or Choke, revenging pokes with Sucker and trapping via Pursuit. Can opt for T-Wave or HP Fighting in the last slot but I like T-Wave/Jolly for the speed control.

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I'm interested in co-hosting a teambuilding shop over the weekend, preferably Saturday sometime. I'll edit this post later on so that it fills the criteria stated in this thread if I end up having some free time then!

Spikes + NP Chatot Balance (6/20 Workshop)

This team is based around Silk Scarf Nasty Plot Chatot, which is able to bluff Choice items really well. Chinchou checks things that threaten Chatot like Electrics, Regice, etc. Chatot also really appreciates the Spikes support that Quilladin gives, and Quilladin is able to check Golem. Metang is our rock setter. It also helps check Machoke. Altaria is a check to Ninetales and other fires and another sweeper. At this point, we needed a fast hazard remover, and considering that we were hazard stack ourselves, Cryogonal was the only option.

Chatot @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Keen Eye
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Heat Wave
- Nasty Plot
- Encore / Hidden Power Fighting

Chinchou @ Eviolite
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 176 HP / 252 SpD / 80 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Quilladin @ Eviolite
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Roar
- Seed Bomb
- Synthesis

Metang @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Pursuit

Altaria @ Yache Berry
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 68 SpD / 192 Spe
Careful Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Roost
- Earthquake

Cryogonal @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Freeze-Dry
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Replay (vs. Akir): http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-389270967
That first team seems fun btw, but it needs something that can take on Dodrio - the basic problem is that whenever your normal resist is Metang or Solrock, variants of Dodrio (CB especially) can break the team's defensive backbone fairly easily. A second problem I noticed is that it's quite slow, and so with Cryogonal being your fastest Pokemon, you'll be sure to have problems against other offensive teams. Balance as a construct normally contains a Scarfer or some other form of speed control for revenge killing, so in this regard, it's missing an important component of that team archetype. Having said that though, I do like the idea of Pursuit Metang trapping Mr. Mime for Chatot / Chinchou beating Electrode for Chatot (basically removing the tier's defensive answers to Boomburst prior to setup).

pancake

movement and location
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'm interested in co-hosting a teambuilding shop over the weekend, preferably Saturday sometime. I'll edit this post later on so that it fills the criteria stated in this thread if I end up having some free time then!

That first team seems fun btw, but it needs something that can take on Dodrio - the basic problem is that whenever your normal resist is Metang or Solrock, variants of Dodrio (CB especially) can break the team's defensive backbone fairly easily. A second problem I noticed is that it's quite slow, and so with Cryogonal being your fastest Pokemon, you'll be sure to have problems against other offensive teams. Balance as a construct normally contains a Scarfer or some other form of speed control for revenge killing, so in this regard, it's missing an important component of that team archetype. Having said that though, I do like the idea of Pursuit Metang trapping Mr. Mime for Chatot / Chinchou beating Electrode for Chatot (basically removing the tier's defensive answers to Boomburst prior to setup).
We can't cover everything in the workshops. These teams aren't perfect. That being said, it's a great guide to the teambuilding process for new players.

I also really appreciate this feedback! I see that Dodrio is a huge threat to the team, and the fact that this is balance which lacks a scarfer is also a problem. Perhaps in a future workshop, we can go back and look at the flaws of a lot of the previous teams we've made and fix them up.

Thanks for also asking to host a workshop!

Thisbemyalt

Shiba sucks
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

I'm a lowly voice but I would be down for cohosting with you or helping out if you find someone else

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor
Here's what we did yesterday:

We voted to build around Agility Life Orb Cuno. Then we added a Machoke to threaten out those steels like Probopass and to help with Rotom-F, and added a Specs Shadow Ball Mime to lure Metang. Prinplup were added for hazards/rocks (Torkoal was originally but it was rejected) and Mawile for a normal resist and for SD pass to Machoke (Shell Smash Crustle was also considered). Zebstrika was placed at the end for speedy revenge killer and a volt switch deterrent.

Team Version 1: http://hastebin.com/fisuvuzasi.md
Replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-390925419

After testing it out I decided to change it up a bit. Prinplup's lack of passive recovery and low speed seemed a liability so was replaced with Lumineon. In addition I wanted to try Scarf Mime over Specs Mime since the lack of speed was an issue for the team. However we would also lack power then so we also replaced Zebstrika with NP Raichu for a wallbreaker.

Team Version 2: http://hastebin.com/felehupina.md
Replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-390933519

5gen

jumper
Workshop went as planned and was really fun. Just wanna thank everyone who came out for helping build this team.

We decided to build around LO Murkrow who is a fearsome mon on it's own, and pairs well with Monferno who we chose next. These pokes are able to break down each others checks/counters (i.e Murk beats Grumpig, Monf beats steels) allow for either to clean late game.

The core really needed some speed and an electric immunity so Zebstrika was chosen.

Realized SD Pass Mawile was a fantastic rocker that complimented the team nicely through checking physical attackers, normals and passing SD's. Lumineon came in as the defogger so we don't get destroyed by waters and grounds.

The last mon of the team needed to bring some speed as well as check grounds like Fisk or Golem, who the team had trouble with. Scarf Simisage fit this role, with a great speed tier for a scarfer in 101 and the versatile movepool to boot. Looking at the team now we realized set up sweepers such as Duosion or Clefairy steamrolled us, enter Encore NP Raichu. With this we could at least have a way around set up mons while keeping an electric immunity.

http://pastebin.com/XCmUQgiP

This team was built to be offensive, revolving around the idea of SD Pass Mawile into Murk, Monf or Simisage if possible for a potential sweep. The team can also be played to clean late game via Murk, Monf, Raichu or Sage. This team struggles with set up sweepers, especially sub ones like Ninetails or Grumpig, fire-types and things like Golem. As such, you have to really predict your opponents when using this team, and utilize lures like HP Grass Murkrow, U-Turn Monf and Encore Chu effectively. This isn't perfect, so feel free to give it a rate n_n

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pususpecttest-393574293
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pususpecttest-393595329

5gen

jumper
Specs Camerupt

Camerupt @ Choice Specs
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 140 HP / 252 SpA / 116 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA
- Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Electric]
*speed is for gourg-xl*

I'd like to to see someone build around Specs Camerupt. It's such a great slow wallbreaker that can literally dent anything. Specs Eruption is crazy (150 bp at full and 111 bp at 74%), Fire Blast for when Eruption becomes weak and Earth Power/HP Electric for switch-ins. Should pair it with things that check waters/grounds and appreciate the wallbreaking (like Leafeon, Simisage, Frostom, Swanna or Simipour to name some).

252+ SpA Choice Specs Camerupt Eruption (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Audino: 274-324 (66.8 - 79%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Camerupt Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Lumineon: 235-277 (68.7 - 80.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Camerupt Hidden Power Electric vs. 200 HP / 0 SpD Politoed: 186-220 (50.1 - 59.2%) -- 78.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Camerupt Earth Power vs. 160 HP / 0 SpD Grumpig: 193-228 (56.5 - 66.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Last edited:

pancake

movement and location
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hello. You might be wondering what happened to these. I kind of put them on hold for the suspect test, because there was all of the hype around that.

Well guess what? They're back: with a new system!

In the new system, auth and staff do not have to post here reserving workshops and shit. They can just start them. Advertise them in the room. Make sure you have someone to make you a groupchat, but other than that, that's all you need. This is how NU does it, so I'm hoping that it will work here. Still post here with the team, descriptions, replay and shoutouts please.

Updating OP the show this. Expect a few workshops from me and the other auth this week !_!

Also try and post workshop logs from now on! thank you

Akir

A true villain!
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
So after today's workshop, we ended with this team:

Scraggy @ Eviolite
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 236 HP / 252 SpD / 20 Spe
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Rest
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off

Ninetales @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball
- Substitute

Solrock @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Morning Sun
- Zen Headbutt
- Stealth Rock

Lumineon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Scald
- U-turn
- Toxic

Zebstrika @ Life Orb
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Metang @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit

Replay vs. Acast: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-399467981

The team was based around Bulky Up Scraggy, but as time went along (and with team drastically being altered multiple times) some of the workshop members felt like Scraggy was the ironic weakest link. Because of that, the team has a secondary version:

Rapidash @ Charcoal
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Drill Run
- Wild Charge
- Morning Sun

Solrock @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Morning Sun
- Zen Headbutt
- Stealth Rock

Lumineon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Scald
- U-turn
- Toxic

Zebstrika @ Life Orb
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Mawile @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off

Simisage @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Overgrow
Jolly Nature
- Seed Bomb/Leaf Storm/Energy Ball
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Gunk Shot

Overall there was a lot of participation in the workshop and the team has some solid ideas behind it, but the final team definitely has some room for improvement. The experimentation with Scraggy was also an interesting venture in a metagame that is slowly shifting away from being based around dpunch Machoke. Definitely an adventure from start to finish.

I love the idea to build around Scraggy, its a nice mon that's often overlooked. Just something I thought I would share. I think Scraggy could have been used more effectively if the team was built slightly different. The team is too reliant on momentum+set up mons but nothing has immediate power so its hard to break through annoying cores or fat teams. I'd suggest replacing Ninetales with a breaker of some sort, and maybe even reconsidering giving rocks to Metang and replacing Solrock .

Just food for thought. What do you guys think?

pancake

movement and location
is a Contributor Alumnus
RawMelon said:
I love the idea to build around Scraggy, its a nice mon that's often overlooked. Just something I thought I would share. I think Scraggy could have been used more effectively if the team was built slightly different. The team is too reliant on momentum+set up mons but nothing has immediate power so its hard to break through annoying cores or fat teams. I'd suggest replacing Ninetales with a breaker of some sort, and maybe even reconsidering giving rocks to Metang and replacing Solrock .

Just food for thought. What do you guys think?
I agree, I might make a third version of the team myself and post it in this thread just for the fun lol :) This team was way different when I left.

edit: It has come to my attention that the workshop took a long time. I'm going to try to make these faster.

Last edited:

5gen

jumper
Suggesting SS Crustle

Crustle @ White Herb
Ability: Sturdy
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- X-Scissor
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

I don't understand why this set is used as little as it is. Shell Smash Crustle is a great set up sweeper and Choke just left the tier so that's one less thing to stop it :D. Not difficult to find set up opportunities and X-Scissor/Stone Edge/EQ give you solid coverage vs the current meta.

ShuckleDeath

They call me the kign of typos
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Offensive Spikes Glalie

Glalie @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Freeze-Dry
- Spikes

Fun and cool set, plus Glalie is super cute.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)