SS OU Pseudo sand/bulky offense. Looking for suggestions on refining this team!

Ran D. Savage

formerly randy_west
*General note for the team: I like the sand aspect of the team but don't want the team to be too reliant on sand if a misplay or hax were to occur and Hippowdon would be knocked out, thus making me favor the sand core of the team only consisting of Excadrill and Hippowdon. I really like the concept and the results that I'm getting so far, but I feel the team could be refined, and I also feel Clefable or this build is the odd mon out. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Mirror Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Defog
- U-turn
- Roost
- Body Press

Corviknight is on the team as a solid defogger and good pivot in u-turn. I have Mirror Armor instead of pressure as there is potential to force switches when the stat change is bounced back at the opposing Pokemon. Everything else is kind of standard with roost and body press.

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 140 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Protect
- Toxic Spikes
- Recover
- Haze

Toxapex serves as it would on any team. An almost immortal entity that can absorb almost any hit, set up hazards and act as an integral pivot mon. I'm running 116 def EVs and 140 Sp Def and a sassy nature as 252 def would be redundant while also leaving toxapex open for more damage on the special defense aspect. This makes a great balance as toxapex is able to perform for either physical or special attackers. I am conflicted about the moveset and want to add scald but I'm not sure what to take out!

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled

Clefable is honestly the odd mon out on this team with this build at least. It does not perform like I thought it would and my team has a difficult time with bulky steel and flying types running rampant in the meta and causing lots of problems later on in the match. I'm not sure what would be best or if another build or movesets for clef would, and I would be grateful for any suggestions!

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 172 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def / 80 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Toxic

I did not learn to truly appreciate Hippowdon until this generation to be honest. It has gone far and beyond what my hopes were and I see it helping me out in many binds and is also super reliable as a stealth rocker. I'm keeping the same mentality as toxapex with the EVs being 172 HP, 252 Def, and 80 Special Def as a balance of special and physical bulk thus giving more flexibility to the mon and the team as a whole.

Excadrill @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

There isn't really much to say about excadrill besides the fact that he synergizes great with sand and is one of the driving threats/wall breakers behind this team. I'm running band because nothing except priority is moving first under sand but I'm contemplating switching to adamant nature to see what happens. Movesets are standard for the most part but I feel rapid spin is a little redundant when Corviknight does such a good job of removing hazards.

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn

Hydreigon has always been a favorite of mine throughout every generation, but I feel it's more viable now than in recent generations prior. I'm running life orb so the moves are boosted in power but still have the choice of making different moves based on the situation at hand. I like u-turn a lot as this mon can force more switches than I initially thought and does a good job of keeping momentum in my favor as a result. This is also another threat in the event that sand would be gone midgame.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, welcome to Smogon! I'm locking your RMT for the time being as the forum rules require that you provide at least 3 lines of descriptions for each Pokemon to explain their roles. Please read the rules carefully and take a look at Team Showcase to see the level of detail we require. PM me with updated descriptions and I'll be happy to unlock this.

unlocked

Last edited:
With this team, the goal is to set up sand and use Excadrill as a win condition. Excadrill is your only win condition as Hydreigon cannot sweep on its' own (not fast cause you don't have Scarf and not strong enough cause of no Nasty Plot). Your team is far too passive, and really, really, really SLOW. By passive I mean, only 2 members of your team can actually put in significant damage, and even then Hydreigon has no response to Dragapult. Dragapult will tear this team in half as it outspeeds everyone on your team, and can easily U-Turn safely into other pivots. Dragon Dance variants of Dragapult will absolutely crush this defensive core, and your defense is annihilated by Specs Magnezone. Excadrill is an incredible mon, but gets absolutely crushed by priority users like Crawdaunt and Rillaboom. You're also severely weak to Zeraora with Plasma Fists, Volt Switch, Close Combat.

The issue with sand cores is 2 fold. Rillaboom is everywhere, and Grassy Terrain halves the power of Earthquake. The other issue is Aqua Jet. Crawdaunt can OHKO with Aqua Jet, and there is nothing Excadrill can do. You can switch out, but risk taking a Knock Off to your defensive core.

I am going to do my best to preserve the sand element of the team and Hydreigon.

Major Changes/We're Redoing This Whole Team

Hydreigon (Pokémon) - The Pokemon Insurgence Wiki

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Clefable: 481-567 (122 - 143.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Togekiss: 393-463 (105 - 123.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Hatterene: 429-507 (134.9 - 159.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Toxapex: 395-465 (129.9 - 152.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Rillaboom: 333-393 (97.6 - 115.2%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Rillaboom: 360-425 (105.5 - 124.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Magnezone: 273-322 (97.1 - 114.5%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Draco Meteor
- Flash Cannon
- Flamethrower

The Hydreigon set confuses me. You have U-Turn which is indicative of running Choice Scarf, but using Life Orb with no Nasty Plot or Flash Cannon. With the extreme lack of Special Attack on this team, we're redoing this entire set. The purpose of Nasty Plot is to setup on a defensive pivot like Rotom, Hippowdon, Toxapex, etc. Then you can absolutely nuke any mon that switches in. I promise you, there are very few things in the current meta that can stare down a +2 Hydreigon. Flash Cannon is here for Clefable as +2 will OHKO. Flamethrower is here for Steel types that resist Draco Meteor and Flash Cannon, and Fire Blast is just too inaccurate. You do need to be very smart with Hydreigon, as it is not as simple as clicking Nasty Plot and winning. Use Nasty Plot as a "threat". Nasty Plot on a defensive mon, or a mon that can't touch you (like I said above), then predict your opponent. Realize that you have the upperhand, as they either lose a mon, or lose momentum by making a defensive pivot. You now can gain better positioning on their switch out, or if you so choose, nuke it with +2 anything. Remember, be smart. In the calcs above, Flash Cannon is only here for Fairy Types, and this thing hits like a truck. You really do need Nasty Plot to make this mon even worthwhile if you choose not to run Choice Scarf.

Togekiss sprites gallery | Pokémon Database
>
Clefable sprites gallery | Pokémon Database

Togekiss @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Dazzling Gleam
- Flamethrower
- Trick

No more Clefable. It is too slow. You desperately need some form of speed control outside of sand, a Fairy to resist the fighting types that will destroy your offense, or to take Dragon attacks from Dragapult that threaten Hydreigon. Enter Scarf Togekiss. At a base 426 speed, you outspeed Dragapult and Zeraora. You can put some serious power done with Air Slash and Dazzling Gleam. Flamethrower is just here to ensure Magnezone, Ferrothorn, and Scizor won't have a free time facing you down. Trick is here to cripple opposing walls once you've taken care of the faster threats like Dragapult, Zeraora, and other Choice Scarfers. The biggest thing with using Scarf Togekiss, is make sure there are no Stealth Rocks on your side. We will get to that part later. Use Togekiss as either a late game sweeper once you know you outspeed everything, to cripple defensive walls with trick (Blissey, Clefable, etc.), or use it as a way to force other threats like Dragapult and Urshifu out. Aqua Jet can still be an annoyance so be sure that if you choose to pivot Togekiss into Crawdaunt that you can survive the hit. DO NOT LET SCARF GET KNOCKED OFF. TRICK SCARF ONTO VOLCARONA.

Excadrill sprites gallery | Pokémon Database

Excadrill @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Iron Head

Choice Band on Excadrill just doesn't work. If you're locked into Earthquake, all your opponent needs to do is bring in a flying type, and now you're losing sand turns. When Excadrill comes in during sand, it is there to stay and do as much work until it is forced out. Being locked in just neuters this mon to no end. We are ditching Choice Band for Leftovers. Leftovers will help keep you alive for longer. If you can setup Swords Dance during Sand, you are about to seriously hurt the other team, and out damage Choice Band. Rapid Spin is to support Togekiss. You can rapid spin outside of sand to remove hazards and gain a nice speed boost. This can actually come in handy to help out speed Urshifu and other mons that generally outspeed Excadrill. At +1 speed you are at a base 412 speed which is very high for not being in sand. During sand, speed doesn't matter as nothing can touch you. Earthquake to smack everything on the ground and crush Toxapex/Amoonguss. Iron Head to crush Fairies and Flying types. I think Life Orb on Sand Rush is not needed. The Life Orb recoil is not friendly for Excadrill, and you need this mon as healthy as it can be, so it can take advantage of sand as often as possible.

Mandibuzz sprites gallery | Pokémon Database
>
Corviknight Pokédex: stats, moves, evolution & locations | Pokémon ...

Mandibuzz (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 160 Def / 44 SpD / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn

As it stands, there is no good Ghost resist on this team. Hydreigon doesn't count. Mandibuzz will serve the same purpose as Corviknight. Knock Off over Foul Play since there is no Knock Off support yet. This will be great at removing Choice Scarfers and recovery items from defensive mons (Black Sludge from Toxapex). The EV spread is to make this an all around bulky mon. Enough physical investment to make it a reliable physical wall, and enough Spd to make it counter ghost types. U-Turn to get easy switch outs.

Amoonguss | Pokémon Wiki | Fandom
>
Toxapex Pokédex: stats, moves, evolution & locations | Pokémon ...

252+ Atk Life Orb Rillaboom Grassy Glide vs. 248 HP / 172+ Def Amoonguss in Grassy Terrain: 51-60 (11.8 - 13.9%) -- possibly the worst move ever
0 SpA Amoonguss Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Rillaboom: 228-270 (66.8 - 79.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
0 SpA Amoonguss Giga Drain vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Crawdaunt: 228-270 (85.3 - 101.1%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Rillaboom Grassy Glide vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex in Grassy Terrain: 110-133 (36.1 - 43.7%) -- 97.6% chance to 3HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
0 SpA Toxapex Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Rillaboom: 35-42 (10.2 - 12.3%) -- possibly the worst move ever
0 SpA Toxapex Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Crawdaunt: 42-50 (15.7 - 18.7%) -- possible 6HKO
Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 92 SpD
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Spore
- Toxic

I'm replacing Toxapex with Amoonguss for 2 main reasons. Rillaboom and Crawdaunt. Like I said at the start, these 2 ruin Hippowdon and Excadrill, which you really need to preserve. I chose Amoonguss over Toxapex because it can take Grassy Glide much easier, and threaten Rillaboom with Giga Drain or Sludge Bomb. You can also put mons to sleep, effectively making them much more useless. Toxic is here for more opportunities to set things on a timer. Rocky Helmet will make Rillaboom not appreciate using U-Turn, and you can recover all the health lost from taking U-Turn with Regenerator once you switch out. Amoonguss and Toxapex serve the same role, it's just Amoonguss does better at countering the threats that hurt Excadrill and Hippowdon. Toxapex does take U-Turn, Knock Off, and Aqua Jet better than Amoonguss, but cannot threaten those mons at all. Toxapex does not take Grassy Glide nearly as well, and a sand team needs a safe pivot into that move as Rillaboom is everywhere. Amoonguss also deals with Zeraoroa much better being resistant to its' STAB Plasma Fists/Volt Switch, and is worn down by Rocky Helmet.
  • I made Hippowdon max Def, just don't let it take too much damage, as sand is needed for Excadrill to succeed in the mid-late game.
  • By removing Toxapex, sun teams are going to become much scarier.
  • Volcarona is a big problem.
  • Keep the Stealth Rocks clear for Togekiss.
  • Be smart with Hydreigon.
  • Use Trick with Togekiss only once faster mons have been taken care of.
  • Use Trick on Volcarona to make it useless, then use Excadrill in sand to take care of Dragapult and Zeraora, so Hydreigon is more free.
  • If you are facing another weather team, Hippowdon is gonna be the only thing keeping you from getting steam rolled. Reverse the weather to negate rain/sun effects. Preserve it at all costs, and if you can Toxic the opposing Shuckle/Pelipper as the extra damage will help.
Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Draco Meteor
- Flash Cannon
- Flamethrower

Togekiss @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Dazzling Gleam
- Flamethrower
- Trick

Excadrill @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Iron Head

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Toxic

Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Spore
- Toxic
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So Volcarona is a pretty big issue, and maybe Scarf Togekiss isn't as defensive and offensive as you would've liked. Here's how we can adjust that.

Alternatives

Dragapult's pixel sprite looks high as Reverse World ...
>
1597605693155.png

Dragapult @ Dragon Fang
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 176 Atk / 80 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Dragon Darts
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- U-turn

Here is your new Volcarona killer. It can take a +1 Psychic and OHKO with Dragon Darts. Dragapult's speed tier is so good, you are essentially out speeding the entire tier with the exception of Choice Scarfers and Zeraora. Scarf Togekiss will be a problem for Dragapult, but Excadrill out speeds it under sand, and can crush it with Iron Head. You gain some speed, but lose breaking potential by taking Dragapult over Hydreigon. You will beat Volcarona, and can use Dragapult as a mid-late game cleaner. Will-O-Wisp neuters physical attackers like Rillaboom, Scizor, and Hawlucha. U-Turn to gain momentum on your opponent.

1597606133975.png
>
1597606150278.png

Clefable @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Knock Off
- Flamethrower
- Soft-Boiled

Well the tables have turned. Now with Dragapult acting as your out of sand speed control, you can use Clefable as your Fairy. With this EV spread, you can effectively check Urshifu, and if you're at full health, outright counter Hawlucha. Knock Off is here to remove recovery items as people like to switch in defensive mons into Clefable. Flamethrower for anyone thinking they can get Ferrothorn, Scizor, or Magnezone in for free. Soft Boiled for longevity and recovery.

1597606341722.png

Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn

Literally the exact same set as above, but Foul Play since Clefable has Knock Off now.

Excadrill @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Iron Head

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Toxic

Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Spore
- Toxic

Dragapult @ Dragon Fang
Naughty Nature
- Dragon Darts
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- U-turn

Clefable @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Knock Off
- Flamethrower
- Soft-Boiled

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Ran D. Savage

formerly randy_west
Thank you so much, this helps an absolute ton! I like the sand but I am starting to notice rillaboom and crawdaunt being more prevalent and they are hindering the sand core of the team a good deal. If I were to go the purely bulky offense route and take out the sand, do you have any suggestions for what two mons could potentially go well? Also I chose to opt for the dragapult and def clefable as you also made excellent points on why they're better for the team. Once again thank you so much!

Last edited:
"If I were to go the purely bulky offense route and take out the sand, do you have any suggestions for what two mons could potentially go well?"
I'll do my best! I'm writing this at the end, so everything below is already typed, but below I say something close to "Pokemon is very match up dependent". Hyper Offense can really put down some serious pain onto "Bulky" Offensive teams. I think "Bulky" Offense has a place in the meta, it's just a slower play style, when compared to the "set-up and win as fast as I can" mentality. At the end of the day, "Bulky" Offense will really struggle with faster teams, but as long as you play smarter than your opponent, you can win.

Kommo-o | Pokemon Wack Wiki | Fandom
>
Hippowdon sprites gallery | Pokémon Database

+1 252 SpA Volcarona Psychic vs. 252 HP / 36 SpD Kommo-o: 280-330 (79 - 93.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Kommo-o Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Volcarona: 332-392 (106.7 - 126%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Kommo-o @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 36 SpD / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Body Press
- Rock Slide

A stealth rocker is an absolute necessity in OU, no questions asked. Kommo-o works really well as a stealth rocker, and an offensive mon. It is able to counter Excadrill, Magnezone, and Volcarona. The EV spread allows it to take a +1 Psychic from Volcarona and OHKO with Rock Slide. You will barely survive Volcarona. This variant of Kommo-o is still bulky enough to take anything on. Taunt is here to shut down recovery, status (mainly Toxic), setup mons (Swords Dance/Calm Mind/Quiver Dance), and hazards. It also resists Rillaboom + Crawdaunt and can really put in serious damage with Body Press. Pray that Zeraora doesn't have Play Rough.

Keldeo sprites gallery | Pokémon Database>
1597712050024.png
AND
1597715754268.png
>
1597715777280.png

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Air Slash vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Rillaboom: 328-386 (96.1 - 113.1%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Air Slash vs. 248 HP / 88 SpD Amoonguss: 264-312 (61.2 - 72.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Urshifu: 590-696 (173 - 204.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Air Slash vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Urshifu: 370-436 (108.5 - 127.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Magnezone: 426-504 (151.6 - 179.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Hydreigon: 422-500 (129.8 - 153.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 200 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 750-884 (106.9 - 126.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 548-648 (77.9 - 92.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Surf vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-Heat: 414-488 (136.6 - 161%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Secret Sword
- Surf
- Flip Turn
- Air Slash
Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn

A little bit out of left field, but I wanted to recommend something outside of OU, as this entire team is made of OU mons. While not really bulky, it does have a very good speed tier. I also realized that the team lacks a focused special attacker, and some form of counter against Hippowdon, Excadrill, Urshifu, and Amoonguss. Air Slash wrecks Amoonguss, and can OHKO Rillaboom if you are lucky enough. Keldeo can take a Giga Drain from Amoonguss, so Keldeo will win the exchange. Keldeo can also take a Draco Meteor from Hydreigon and OHKO with Secret Sword. Urshifu just dies in every 1v1 scenario, and Keldeo resists Sucker Punch. Finally, Flip Turn allows you to get easy switches, and keep momentum on your side. You also OHKO the mighty Blissey, and 2HKO Chansey which can really slow this team down. Try not to get too lost into the Keldeo calcs, I know there a lot, and yes this mon can lay down some serious damage, but realize it isn't perfect. You will find out below.

Adding Keldeo makes facing down Fairy types much harder, and we also lose a Ghost Resist by taking Corviknight. I am "re-adding" Corviknight because this team really needs a way to check Fairy types. Corviknight really can't counter or check Fairy types since they all carry Flamethrower/Mystical Fire, but it can at least deal decent damage for Keldeo to come in and pick up the KO. This version of Corviknight has max SpD EVs to take on Fire coverage from opposing Fairies better.

Primarina sprites gallery | Pokémon Database
>
1597713615320.png

Primarina
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 44 SpA / 40 SpD / 176 Spe
Calm Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Moonblast

If you want to get really bulky then Sub CM Primarina can work. I used to use a different EV spread (I think more defense less speed?), but I can't find it for the life of me, so I just copied this set off of Smogon. Pretty simple, just Substitute on mons you resist, then Calm Mind to start becoming a real threat. Dual STAB in Scald and Moonblast. Pretty self explanatory set, just be smart when you use this mon, as timing is everything when it comes to using set up oriented sets.

Magnezone - Pokemon Black and White Wiki Guide - IGN
>
1597713615320.png

252 SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Hippowdon: 256-303 (60.9 - 72.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Steel Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Hippowdon: 450-529 (107.1 - 125.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 44 SpD Mandibuzz: 440-518 (104 - 122.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 124 SpD Corviknight: 440-518 (110 - 129.5%) --
guaranteed OHKO
Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SpA / 8 SpD / 248 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Steel Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch

Finally, Choice Specs Magnezone. Magnezone has 3 jobs. Kill all Fairies, kill all Flying types, and kill Hippowdon. Hippowdon cannot switch into Specs Flash Cannon. Specs Magnezone is here to put in massive damage, and live a very short life. Steel Beam acts as a screen nuke, and if you can predict Hippowdon coming in, will OHKO. Volt Switch keeps up the momentum for you, while pushing your opponent back. Thunderbolt serves as a nice STAB Electric move, if you're not looking to pivot out. I didn't bother putting in the calcs for the Fairies because trust me, none of them will survive Specs Flash Cannon, let alone Steel Beam.

If you choose
1597714565928.png
+
1597716133042.png

• Hatterene/Togekiss will be a massive issue as this team has double fighting/dragon, grass/poison, and dark.
  • With no more EQ from Excadrill, Toxapex is now a very hard wall to play around.
  • You lose Knock Off support and a Ghost resist.
If you choose
Primarina sprites gallery | Pokémon Database

• This team will be a lot slower.
  • Toxapex is still an issue.
  • Blissey/Chansey will shut you down.
If you choose
1597714546462.png

• This team will be a lot slower.
  • Your Urshifu match up just became a lot less reliable.
  • If you're not careful, Sand Rush Excadrill will walk all over this team once Kommo-o falls.

The drawbacks you get with all 3 mons are pretty substantial, but that is the way Pokemon plays out. So much of your match performance is predetermined by match ups. This team desperately needs a dedicated special attacker, as the premier attacker is primarily physical. I don't think a certain choice is the definitive answer. The only way is to test them out, and see which one fits your play style the best.

So in this case you can either take Corviknight, Keldeo, and Kommo-o, OR Magnezone and Kommo-o, OR Kommo-o and Primarina.
Experiment and see what works best!
Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Spore
- Toxic

Dragapult @ Dragon Fang
Naughty Nature
- Dragon Darts
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- U-turn

Clefable @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Knock Off
- Flamethrower
- Soft-Boiled

Kommo-o @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Body Press
- Rock Slide

Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Secret Sword
- Surf
- Flip Turn
- Air Slash
Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Spore
- Toxic

Dragapult @ Dragon Fang
Naughty Nature
- Dragon Darts
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- U-turn

Clefable @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Knock Off
- Flamethrower
- Soft-Boiled

Kommo-o @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Body Press
- Rock Slide

Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SpA / 8 SpD / 248 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Steel Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Spore
- Toxic

Dragapult @ Dragon Fang
Naughty Nature
- Dragon Darts
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- U-turn

Clefable @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Knock Off
- Flamethrower
- Soft-Boiled

Kommo-o @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Body Press
- Rock Slide

Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn

Primarina
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 44 SpA / 40 SpD / 176 Spe
Calm Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Moonblast

Last edited:

Ran D. Savage

formerly randy_west
Thank you so much! I really appreciate all your help! I'll try all the choices you gave me and if you want I'll let you know how everything goes for me! Once again thank you!

Just played a few games using the team after taking out the sand and adding kommo-o and magnezone, and it's some sauce for real, thank you so much! I feel I have so much more flexibility than I did before and I feel the team matches up against everything better in general! Once again thank you I'm feeling more interested in the game than I have in years!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)