Project PU Matchmaking! Season 3, Week 5: Rotom-Frost! (Submission phase)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitmonchan (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 244 HP / 152 Atk / 112 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Rapid Spin
- Mach Punch
- Earthquake / Thunder Punch

Hitmonchan is able to remove hazards (mainly rocks and tspikes) which hinder Jynx's ability to set up. It's also able to check threats to Jynx, such as Pyroar, AV Tross, and rock types. It hits mons that resist Ice Beam, including Pyroar, ice, and steel types, super effectively with its STAB, as well as dealing a lot of damage to waters, such as Lanturn and Floatzel. Mach Punch is a reliable priority move that can chip or pick off threats for Jynx. Earthquake is able to hit Skuntank, Qwilfish, and Lanturn super effectively, while Thunder Punch nails other waters, such as Poli.

In turn, Jynx is able to take down physical walls, Mudsdale, flying types, and bulky grasses for Hitmonchan :)

Last edited:

Qwilfish @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Scald
- Sludge Bomb

Qwilfish’s main role is to set down Spikes to help abuse the switches caused by Lovely Kiss+Substitute. Qwilfish can also help check certain Ice resists such as Poliwrath and Aggron, as well as Pursuit trappers like Skuntank or non-Psychic Spiritomb and chip with Rocky Helmet.

SergioRules

||blimp||
is a Community Contributor

Mudsdale @ Figy Berry
Ability: Stamina
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic / Heavy Slam

Mudsdale is a cool partner for Jynx as it beats most Ice-type resistances barring Lanturn and Poliwrath, though they'd rather not switch into an Earthquake or Toxic. It also checks many physical threats that would normally scare Jynx out like Skuntank, Hitmonchan, and Aggron. Stealth Rock is used to wear down Jynx's checks over the course of a game to potentially bring them in range of a +2 attack. Toxic would likely be the best last move for Mudsdale in most situations, though I wanted to slash Heavy Slam as an option for its ability to OHKO Assault Vest Crabominable after Stealth Rock damage. Since Assault Vest Crab has become more popular and this Jynx lacks Psychic-type STAB, I figured it wouldn't be too bad of an option.

Last edited:
Kangaskhan-Pokemon.jpg

All Your Ghost Are Belong To Us

Kangaskhan (F) @ Normalium Z
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Power-Up Punch
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch / Facade

Almost all Kanga sets support Jynx well, provided they provide chip and a reliable way to counter Spiritomb. Silk Scarf, LO, Fight-Z with Hammer Arm, etc. I just like this set because I developed it specifically to destroy Ghosts for a Throh team I made for the first Seasonal.

The reason it works well to support this particular Jynx set is that it completely destroys the only viable Infiltrator in the tier: Spiritomb. PuP + Z-Double eats it for breakfast, and you can also carry Façade if you especially fear the burn from Tomb. Eliminating Tomb means that Jynx can proceed to sub without fear of being instantly KO'd from behind it.

This set also makes quick work of any remaining Steel types (though without Ferro, this is a less prevalent issue) that resist Jynx' mono-attack. Additionally, it completely threatens out and/or destroys Lanturn, which is by far the most popular Water type in the tier. Kangas packing EQ make quick work of Skuntank, which otherwise threatens to either trap or win the 50/50 sucker punch game and defeat Jynx.

Finally, most Kanga sets provide priority and chip, both of which Jynx appreciates so it can KO the entire tier with +2 Ice Beams. This particular set can 'fake out' the opponent, who will expect Fake Out, and set up +1 on the switch-in, and chip with Sucker after its job of killing Tomb is over.

Last edited:

BP

Beers and Steers
is a Contributor to Smogon

Chip Lord (Weezing) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 224 Def / 32 Spe
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Toxic Spikes
- Pain Split / Will-O-Wisp
- Memento

Weezing is able to come in on psychically based offensive threats and simply wall them. Furthermore it is able to set up Toxic-Spikes which can end up pressuring offense builds. Weezing also has access to Memento which is simply great for making something set up fodder. All in all they pair pretty well together as a sweeper wall combo.

Last edited:

yogi

I did not succumb...
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Tough choice here, because both Kangaskhan and Qwilfish are both fantastic partners for it in the current meta. I'll have to go with Kangaskhan however, because it just abuses teams so easily with Jynx.

Just wanna say that HP Rock should be put over Fire, with Ferroseed gone there's really nothing else HP Fire hits that Ice wouldn't and Rock is notable for hitting almost everything Ice would while allowing you to hit Pyroar super effectively and Scyther for 4x damage.

Aurorus @ Choice Specs
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Earth Power
- Freeze-Dry
- Hidden Power [Rock]

Standard old Specs Aurorus. Aurorus is a great wallbreaker for Lilligant because it shreds through many of Lilligant's checks, such as Oricorio, Altaria, Alolan Exeggutor, and various other special walls. Specs EP + Hail damage is also nice for removing or just wearing down the few niche steels around for Lilly late game. Nothing much to say about the set itself, Timid is ran to outrun all those defensive mons that specifically creep Modest Aurorus while only sacrificing a 2hko against Clefairy, which is only about a 29% to 2hko so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Pair this with HP Rock Lilligant as Aurorus misses out on Pyroar and Scyther due to its low speed, and Aurorus covers Altaria and Eggy which are HP Ice's biggest targets.

Floatzel @ leftovers/life orb
Ability: Water Veil
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Liquidation
- Low Kick
- Ice Punch

From my experience, floatzel and lilligant (grassium z) seem to go well together. They can hit everything in the tier hard together and can both take the role of a sweeper or a wall breaker. The only thing that may cause them trouble are bulkier grass types, but they can again weaken one mon for the other with their ice coverage. I go with leftovers on floatzel more than life orb since it helps floatzel stay alive longer against priority users, but if I do use life orb I will usually prefer aqua jet over ice punch. I thought the z crystal would be more important on lilligant than floatzel due to it having a worse movepool. Plus, it allows it to 1 hit ko certain mons that it couldn't before such as skuntank as an example. All in all, I have found these two to put in a lot of work when they are paired together and will see even better results when surrounded by a team that synergizes well with them.

asa

is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PU Leader

Lanturn @ Assault Vest
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 72 SpD / 184 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Ice Beam
- Discharge

Lanturn is a pretty good partner for Lilligant for a number of reasons. Lanturn makes up for Lilligant's vulnerability to Pokemon like Pyroar and Swanna prior to setting up, as well as after setting up depending on the set, and also switches into Togedemaru's STAB moves with ease; Volt Switch generates momentum for Lilligant; Discharge is great for screwing with bulky Oricorio-G as well as wearing specially bulky Pokemon like Hitmonchan down and potentially spreading paralysis, which makes Lilligant slightly less reliant on boosting its Speed; and finally, Ice Beam hits Pokemon like Altaria hard, allowing Lilligant to more freely run Hidden Power Rock. In return, Lilligant offers a resistance to Ground and exploits opposing Lanturn very hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)