Project PU Player of the Week 11: Dundies

cryalot

senza telescopi
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Approved by galbia and Anty
OP stolen from Leer in RU, who took it from Lord Alphose and xzern in NU
Past Players of the Week: Magnemite, galbia, gasquakee, scorpdestroyer, Simipour, Anty, Raiza, 2xTheTap, TONE114, Megazard
Back from the dead, i'm glad to present to you: PU Player of the Week. This "weekly" thread hopes to capitalize and promote good players in the metagame, while helping newer players by giving advice and showing effective strategies in the metagame. For this week we are going to place under our microscope: Dundies!

tumblr_mz5nmbYEr51rjenv2o1_500.gif

Most Known For: PU Moderator, PU Council, hosting many PU threads, Vullaby obsession,
King of Balance, and having a shitty name change in the past.
Favorite Pokemon: Pelipper
Most Used Pokemon: Vullaby​

Can you tell us a bit about yourself outside of PS?
16 year old (17 on May 19th) Junior in High School. I enjoy working out, playing Lacrosse, chilling w/ friends, and watching movies / TV shows.

Where did you get your name from?
The Office. In the show a "Dundie" is a trophy given to hard workers and stuff.

How and when did you get into competitive battling?
I would say I got into actual competitive battling last year in PUPL. I used to play on ladder and stuff before that but the games weren't too serious and I wasn't all that good, but I feel PUPL is where I started to make a name for myself as a player.

How do you think Mawile is going to affect the metagame?
It's a really solid and versatile Pokemon honestly. It's offensive sets do a really nice job of breaking bulkier teams, so I could possibly see offense seeing more usage. Fire-types are its main checks, so I definitely see things like Monferno, Ninetales, and Simisear getting more popular.

What's your favorite playstyle and why?
Balance. I feel like I'm able to stay in control of battles when I have checks to the tier's bigger offensive threats while also being able to apply offensive pressure of my own and keep up momentum.

Which team will win PUPL and why?
Supercilious Swalots of course. Lol but on a serious note, I think our team is very solid but the Stoutlands are definitely a big threat, especially if their players can stay dedicated, as they have so few.

Have you ever played other tiers?
If yes, which ones and why? Yes, I've been pretty involved in NU and LC, though less LC as of
late. Look out for me in NU League though.

Who do you look up to / admire most as a PU player?
A few names come to mind. Teddeh, galbia, and RawMelon are all really solid players who I have a lot of respect for and I feel like I can still learn from and get better as a player testing with them.

Can you name a new PU player that has potential to become good?
lockjaw is still a relatively new player that is very good and stands out as one of the better players that could make a name for himself in the future.

If you could make one change to the tier (can be anything), what would it be?
I guess I would say banning Dynamic Punch on Machoke would be big for me, as Machoke by itself is a solid Pokemon that can help out with the meta, but Dynamic Punch just makes it stupid. Sadly we're unable to do a complex ban like that.

What kind of music do you listen to?

I listen to a ton of genres honestly, basically anything that isn't Country or weird screamo shit. I like artists such as John Mayer and Jack Johnson a lot, but I can also really get down to some Rap / Hip Hop, for example Chance The Rapper's new album "Coloring Book".

Can you provide a team that reflects you as a player, as well as the current metagame?
Mawile @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Play Rough
- Iron Head
- Fire Blast
- Sucker Punch

Leafeon @ Yache Berry
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Synthesis

Vullaby @ Eviolite
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Defog

Golem @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Atk / 228 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Toxic

Grumpig @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave

Rotom-Frost @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Blizzard
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

So here's a pretty standard balance squad I built around mixed wallbreaker Mawile, as I guess it seems fitting for me to post a Mawile team. The basis of the team is for Mawile to break down bulkier physical walls and lure Pokemon such as Gourgeist-XL, allowing Leafeon to sweep late-game. Vullaby was added because Vullaby. It provides Defog, a check for a multitude of big threats, and a slow U-turn, giving Mawile opportunities to get in for free. Golem was added as the Stealth Rocker, the Normal check, the Volt Switch absorber, and somewhat of a Fire check. Grumpig is your obligatory Ice resist, while also doubling as a Machoke and Monferno check. Rotom-F is the glue to the team, giving it a solid revenge killer for the tier's faster Pokemon and setup sweepers. HP Fighting is a cool little thing I've been using lately that allows you to check other Rotom-F, as Grumpig can get worn down quickly. Enjoy.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
why did you do this when we already had you a couple of weeks months ago

Sobi

Banned deucer.
What's the weirdest set you've used?

edit: > most weirdest

Last edited:
what set are you going to beat me with next?
your pick
Any advice to people picking up the tier that want to get very good at it?
if youre brand new, id start with a sample and test vs people you know are good. dont test vs ladder bc you will see things unknown to man and wont get better. once youre used to it a bit, start using threads to build teams and just keep battling and battling vs good players.

your pick

if youre brand new, id start with a sample and test vs people you know are good. dont test vs ladder bc you will see things unknown to man and wont get better. once youre used to it a bit, start using threads to build teams and just keep battling and battling vs good players.
i choose a wack zebstrika set
ion deluge or snatch probably

how would u rate stall after the addition of mawile??

best tutor btw n_n
honestly i dont think its changed too much. its offensive sets are definitely something to look out for and its defensive sets can actually be good on stall but im not totally sure tbh.

ty n_n

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor
What movies/TV shows do you enjoy besides The Office?

also when will we do a Bo9 series again?

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Do you think the current meta is balanced as is, and if not, what pokemon would you add/remove to make it more balanced? (other than what you said about banning DynamicPunch)
Do you have any specific ways that you build your teams, or are they mostly the same from a teambuilding aspect?
Is there anyone remaining in the PU Seasonal that you really want to face or avoid facing?
What is the weirdest set or pokemon you ever ran that actually worked for you?
Also happy early birthday friend. ⌐■_■

Shadestep

volition immanent
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
You have a team rater Badge which shows you are skilled in making and improving (PU) teams. Do you think teambuilding in PU is difficult, in comparison to other tiers? Why?

You have a team rater Badge which shows you are skilled in making and improving (PU) teams. Do you think teambuilding in PU is difficult, in comparison to other tiers? Why?
ive been building in pu for a while now, so it comes really easy to me, but i would honestly say its one of the easier tiers to build in right now. every playstyle is really solid right now and theres less threats to cover for compared to OU, for example.

Another question, what do you keep in mind when team building? Are there certain criteria you always like to meet when team building. I guess different play styles are built differently so what in asking is how would you go about building a balanced team and any general team building tips for Pu? Also happy birthday

Another question, what do you keep in mind when team building? Are there certain criteria you always like to meet when team building. I guess different play styles are built differently so what in asking is how would you go about building a balanced team and any general team building tips for Pu? Also happy birthday
for balance there is sort of a checklist i go by. i usually start with the offensive pokemon i wanted to use from the start or a core or something. i always have a stealth rocker and a scarfer or something fast enough to revenge the tiers faster mons, like ninjask or something. i then always try to have a volt switch absorber, just so i can at least discourage opponents using voltturn from just freely gaining momentum. i then try to have a check for or something to beat these mons:
  • machoke
  • monferno
  • pawniard
  • leafeon
  • regice
  • rotom-f
  • golem
  • waters
  • other electrics
  • grumpig
  • mr. mime (mainly np)
  • normals
  • arbok
  • mawile
and i might be forgetting something but as long as you have some way to reliably beat all of / the majority of these pokemon, you should be good in a defensive aspect.

thank you :)

ShuckleDeath

They call me the kign of typos
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
How do you feel the spike in Nasty Plot users is shaping the metagame, if any at all?(namely Mr.Mime, Raichu, and Simisage)

What cores do you find to be the most effective lately?

Why did you forget me on Players you totally look up to and admire?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)