Project PU Player of the Week 12: RawMelon

cryalot

senza telescopi
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Approved by Anty
OP stolen from Leer in RU, who took it from Lord Alphose and xzern in NU
Past Players of the Week: Magnemite, galbia, gasquakee, scorpdestroyer, Simipour, Anty, Raiza, 2xTheTap, TONE114, Megazard, Dundies

This is another public service PU Player of the Week, brought to you by me myself. This week, under the lens of our microscope, we have none other than RawMelon. Enjoy this interview and feel free to ask questions!

giphy.gif

Most Known For: Being a Monferno lover
Favorite Pokemon: Swampert
Most Used Pokemon: Golem​

Can you tell us a bit about yourself outside of PS?
Outside of PS I spend most of my time working for Sprint. Besides working I really enjoy playing Smash 4. Above all I love to exercise and play sports such as basketball, football, soccer and fishing.

Where did you get your name from?
It’s kinda funny I’ve had this name for a while now, but I remember seeing other users on random forums have names with 2 words that don’t really go together and they always seemed unique and appealed to me. So I decided to combine 2 random words that came to my mind that seemed cool to me at the time.

How and when did you get into competitive battling?
I’ve been into Pokemon ever since Pokemon Stadium but it wasn’t until I got Pokemon Pearl that I started playing somewhat competitively back in 2006. It’s such a long story but I’ll make it short. Back in ’06 I hung around GameSpot all day and I participated in a lot of the forums on that site. Eventually I stumbled across the largest Pokemon community on GameSpot and soon found a thread about EV training which was mind-opening at the time. Before long I started to EV train my own Pokemon in Pearl and started playing a few people here and there. After the community I originally played with started to die I somehow found Marriland forums in 2007. Here I started playing a lot more and learned from other decent players. At some point I learned about Shoddy Battle (first popular Pokemon simulator that I know of) and stopped playing cartridge all together and focused on playing Shoddy. After Shoddy I migrated into the next sim that gained popularity (can’t remember the name right now). Following that I started playing on Pokemon Online. After this I took a pretty lengthy break from mons and focused on High School and sports for the vast majority of the time. At some point, my brother told me about some new simulator called Pokemon Showdown which I could play in my browser, the rest is kinda history from there lol. Nice and short story haha.

What's your favorite playstyle and why?
Anyone that knows me knows I love me some Bulky Offense. I’m not sure about other tiers, but in PU its so consistent that I find it hard not to use it. It allows me to play aggressive with my threats when I want to while still being able to rely on a solid bulky/defensive backbone if I find myself in a tough situation. And as a player that likes to change up the pace by playing risky at one point and then playing safe the very next it suits my style of play more than other styles of play.

In your opinion, what is an underrated threat in the current meta and why?
Momentum Jumpluff with U-turn, Sleep Powder, Acrobatics, Seed Bomb has always been a favorite of mines and doesn’t see much use at all in this meta. What makes it so good is that you can just lead it and 90% of the time something is going to sleep. Or if they have a Vullaby in the back just U-turn for momentum and get your threat in for free. I like to pair it with Rotom and/or LO Gorebyss since Vullaby or even Stunfisk like to switch in on Jumpluff.

Have you ever played other tiers? If yes, which ones and why?
When I first started playing Pokemon I played other tiers like OU and RU. I didn’t know exactly what I wanted to do at first so I dabbled in a few tiers to see which one I sucked the least in.

Who do you look up to / admire most as a PU player?
Deej Dy is the first guy I remember thinking “Oh wow he’s really good I got destroyed” when I first started playing PU. His aggression and constant switching up his style of play in a game was so hard to read that I decided to try to imitate his style. I still admire him til this day as a really good player that can beat just about anyone using the memiest of teams.

Can you name any up and coming players showing good potential?
Yosp, EnemyJurist, Lord Sample Team, KJ Corp, cryalot, Entei., PTF (I’m sure there’s more I’m missing)

What would you suggest to someone new to the tier?
Take your time when learning the tier. It’s ok to start off using a sample team just to get a feel for the meta and what to expect. Don’t be afraid to ask decent players to battle you and have them critique your play/team. I believe in tough love so yeah you might get 6-0’d but the experience is really nice for a new player to see what the problem was (maybe it was your play, or maybe it was the team you used, or a combination of both). So don’t get frustrated if you don’t see immediate results, patience goes a long way.

If you could make one change to the tier (can be anything), what would it be?
Make the usage cutoff like 4% so we would get some more mons and keep the meta fresh, idk lol.

What kind of music do you listen to?
I love chillstep

Can you provide a team that reflects you as a player, as well as the current metagame?
Swanna @ Life Orb
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Defog

Camerupt @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

Metang @ Eviolite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Meteor Mash
- Toxic
- Bullet Punch

Leafeon @ Yache Berry
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Synthesis

Rotom-Frost @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Blizzard
- Trick

Mr. Mime @ Life Orb
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Dazzling Gleam
- Focus Blast
- Nasty Plot

Description of the team will be added later (hopefully)

Last edited:

Akir

A true villain!
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
What if pokemon was an esport?

Also, who is your main in Smash? Whats your pocket?

Would you consider any mons in particular to be "staples" of PU BO? Why?

also what is chillstep

Will i ever 6-0 you?

Best matches so far in PUPL and any you look forward to?

Most challenging player you battle with?

ShuckleDeath

They call me the kign of typos
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
What are your favorite cores to use when building BO?

How is Monferno in this meta compared to the last?

What if pokemon was an esport?

Also, who is your main in Smash? Whats your pocket?

Would you consider any mons in particular to be "staples" of PU BO? Why?

also what is chillstep
I main Mewtwo right now (subject to change), I pocket Mario and Captain Falcon.

Monferno, Grumpig, Golem, Mr. Mime, Machoke and Leafeon, Swanna are all notable examples of BO staples. They can all fill multiple roles on a team either with a combination of good stats, typing and/or movepool which makes it hard not to use at least a few on these on any typical BO team.

chillstep is dubstep with much less dub and more chill

o.o senpai noticed

actually though, what mon would you most like to drop from nu?
I like Primeape so I'd like to see that drop

Will i ever 6-0 you?

Best matches so far in PUPL and any you look forward to?

Most challenging player you battle with?
I've been 6-0'd plenty of times so you might eventually

Finch vs Kaboom was pretty clutch, probably my favorite so match so far. Looking forward to a lot of matches this week, Marogod v Megazard, Optical v Kaboom, and Teddeh v trc are the top 3 but there are many more

I think I struggle the most fighting Grim I think I'm 0-3 against him, they've all been casual games but still >.>

What are your favorite cores to use when building BO?

How is Monferno in this meta compared to the last?
My favorite BO core right now is Camerupt+Metang+water check I also like Machoke+Golem+Grumpig and Rotom-F+things that lure stunfisk and vullaby (Monferno, Leafeon, Jumpluff etc)

Monferno is still really good but folks are overprepping for Machoke by using checks like Swanna and Grumpig a lot more so its not as splashable as it once was unfortunately. But on the other hand, it gives teams a wonderful Mawile check so it almost evens out.

pancake

movement and location
is a Contributor Alumnus
I would also like to hear your opinions on dynamic punch, but more importantly-

cryalot, in the OP, you tagged "Entei" . Just judging by players in the room, I believe you meant to tag "Entei." with a period.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)