Project PU Player Of The Week - Akir (Week 15)

TJ

Banned deucer.
is the Smogon Tour Season 34 Championis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion

Favorite Pokemon: Parasect
Most used Pokemon: Primeape
Most known for: PS Room Owner, Council Member, Forum Mod, Global Driver, Hosting a lot of Tours, Oldgens Caretaker
TJ: Could you tell us more about yourself outside of Smogon?
Akir: Well, I am currently working in sales at Trugreen. I like to think I'm ok at it. I graduated college almost 2 years ago now, with a degree in business admin. I also have a girlfriend, love hiking in the woods, and played in a college marching band.

TJ: What drew you to the PU community and what made you stick around so long?
Akir: I joined the PU community after my real-life friend November Rain forced me to join a PU tournament for fun. I ended up doing really well and decided to stay. There was also the appeal of no megas, which I genuinely think was a major mistake to add.

TJ: Where did you get your username from?
Akir: When I laddered in Gen5 NU, I used 4 names. Each of the 4 names belonged to an "elemental lord" from WoW, there was Neptulon, Therazane, Baron Geddon (didn't get Ragnaros), and Al'Akir. Al'Akir was the most successful, so I kept the name.

TJ: What are your thoughts on the current Archeops suspect test? Is anything else suspect test worthy in your opinion?
Akir: I think that Archeops is a very skill-driven, momentum-based mon. If you are playing well and momentum is on your side, Archeops is an absolute nuke. Luckily, momentum is easy to get in the current gen, so that is not a problem in the slightest. So I think it should be banned. Yeah.

TJ: What's the most challenging part of being a Room Owner / Forum Mod and what do you enjoy about it?
Akir: The most challenging part of both is how I always need to keep an eye on things, no matter what. So I am always watching, even if I do not say much. But I really enjoy helping the community behind the curtains, making sure that there is always something to look forward to and quality is always maintained.

TJ: What do you think should be done to help the PU community continue to grow and develop?
Akir: Well I think the first thing that needs to be done is to work on the tier itself more. It is currently very difficult to build in, and competition can sometimes be low in room tournaments, so fostering the tier itself more should always be the first step.

TJ: What is your favorite PU oldgen besides DPP and why?
Akir: Can I say honkmeta? But on a serious note, I actually like BW a lot. BW is still pretty unexplored, but I feel like there is still plenty of potential...or at the very least, the tier needs to be rediscovered. Besides, i love hazard stack.

TJ: Do you ever intend to play in PUPL in the future? If not, what makes managing more appealing than playing in tournaments for you?
Akir: The question is not if I find managing more appealing it comes down more to my own personal philosophy towards TOs being in their own tournaments. Simply put, a TO should never join their own tournament at all, ever. I really like managing the PUPL, and it's always a lot of fun. It's a great way to give to the community, and let's face it: everyone would rather play so I take the knee and do what I do best.

TJ: Can you name any up and coming players showing good potential?
Akir: I hear ShuckleDeath is pretty good.

TJ: Who do you look up to or admire the most in the PU scene? Who are some of your favorite people in the community?
Akir: I have been in this community long enough to know that we all are just a bunch of dorks. In terms of innovators though, 2xTheTap has always been someone I can expect to have something new up their sleeve. Megazard does so much work for the community that I have to mention him. As for favorites, I am not sure. Everyone in PU is my friend automatically unless they call me Ookr.

TJ: Will Pepeduce actually win Seasonal?
Akir: I have faith in Taskr or HJAD to save us all.

TJ: When are you going to free GSC PU?
Akir: I do not like the idea of stretching the PU oldgen playerbase even further, nor do I like the idea of going even further back while ADV PU is still getting an unfair amount of ire. when the community grows more and ADV is more accepted, then I will think about it. But every time someone asks, it gets rolled back a day.

TJ: What other games do you play in your free time?
Akir: I play a lot of WoW, and I also speedrun Metroid games. The downside of growing up is that I don't have much more time for games unfortunately, so I can really only casually play other games. I like playing WoW because I'm always down for killing giant monsters. If you think about those pictures of like..."band of adventurers fighting a dragon" theres always that one dude with a shield right in front of the dragon. Thats my job. I'm the tank.

TJ: Why do you hate it when people call you "Ookr"?
Akir: Well originally I didn't but it just carried on and on and on. Now I am just really tired of it but there's also the fact that the nickname is meant to make fun of me not in a teasing way but in an actual way so there's that.

TJ: Lastly, can you give us a team that fits your playstyle and explain it?
Akir:

Dodrio @ Choice Band
Ability: Early Bird
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Frustration
- Quick Attack
- Pursuit

Mr. Mime @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Trick
- Healing Wish

Combusken @ Eviolite
Ability: Speed Boost
Modest Nature
IVs: 3 Atk / 30 SpA
- Protect
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Graveler @ Eviolite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Vileplume @ Leftovers
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Moonlight

Swanna @ Life Orb
Ability: Keen Eye
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Roost
- Scald
- Hurricane

Since the Bo3 tournament is coming up and I don't want people to just give up on Gen5, here is a quick Gen 5 team I made during this interview. Dodrio is the main wallbreaker, with banded brave bird nuking just about everything. It really is mindless. Pursuit is thrown on there just in case. Mr Mime is then added as a Scarfer to give Dodrio a second chance through Healing Wish, while also supporting the team with Trick and the Soundproof ability padding against the inevitable Riolu team. (Specs also works on Mr Mime, try it in testing). Combusken is the sweeper, able to set up on a large amount of the tier and snowball into a win with speed boost (Life Orb works too, again try it out in testing) from there, we come to the defensive core of Graveler + Vileplume. Both of these are great as they cover each other's weaknesses while keeping support and offensive pressure up. The last mon is Swanna, to double pad defensive synergy and provide a non-choiced attacker that can still pack a punch...and beat other combusken.
Overall, this team just based in theory should beat any team that uses Bronzor as a major player in their teams but the fact that i made it during the interview should hopefully point out just how easy building for this tier is. Just make your own plan, and then ride it out. As for this team, overwhelm the opponent's defensive cores with wallbreakers, then sweep with Combusken.

Thanks for your time! As always, if you guys have any questions feel free to ask them below! :blobthumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:

Aaronboyer

Something Worth Fighting For
is a Contributor to Smogon
When are you going to free RBY PU?
When are you gonna get your Parasect custom avatar?
After thoughts from GA on Articuno, are we any closer to a suspect?

Last edited:

Darkinium

the mighty nuaguunibi
Drops you want the most from NU?

UR mons that you think should be ranked?

Overrated and underrated Pokemon and/or sets in the current meta?

Overrated and underrated Pokemon and/or sets in any oldgen format?

After Archeops, what do you think should be suspected next, if anything?

Any instruments you play/want to pick up?

Thoughts on the BP and Arena Trap ban and how it affected ORAS and USUM PU? What would be better or worse if they had never happened, especially in USUM?

If you could demote a PU roomauth (or voice), who would you pick?

Since you're a RoA room driver, what's your favorite oldgen metagame overall?

Have you ever considered getting a custom avatar, and what would it be?

How do you think PU will do in PSPL?

TTK

Won't Catch Me Lacking.
is a Community Contributor
Since your name was inspired by Al'Akir the Windlord (the coolest looking elemental lord imo), have you played a lot of WoW in the past and other Blizzard Games?

Akir

A true villain!
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
When are you going to free RBY PU?
When are you gonna get your Parasect custom avatar?
After thoughts from GA on Articuno, are we any closer to a suspect?
  • Potentially never, mainly cuz I haven't talked to NU about it
  • eventually
  • Yes, but I'm holding off on anything until the Bo3 tournament takes off. It's now BW's turn in the sunlight and I don't wanna rob it of that
Drops you want the most from NU?

UR mons that you think should be ranked?

Overrated and underrated Pokemon and/or sets in the current meta?

Overrated and underrated Pokemon and/or sets in any oldgen format?

After Archeops, what do you think should be suspected next, if anything?

Any instruments you play/want to pick up?

Thoughts on the BP and Arena Trap ban and how it affected ORAS and USUM PU? What would be better or worse if they had never happened, especially in USUM?

If you could demote a PU roomauth (or voice), who would you pick?

Since you're a RoA room driver, what's your favorite oldgen metagame overall?

Have you ever considered getting a custom avatar, and what would it be?

How do you think PU will do in PSPL?
  • Altaria. Give me the good glue plz
  • I think more mons should be unranked. If you have been watching how I vote on the VR, I have started a "cleanse"
  • Obvious underrated is archeops. People want it to fall from S and I have never agreed with this. As for overrated? I'll have to go with Shiiontic
  • Overrated in Gen5 PU is Bronzor. What a passive piece of junk. Underrated is Armaldo from Gen4 PU. People are only now catching on to how good the thing is
  • I played Euphonium for 7 years and always regretted dropping it. Violin is another instrument I want to pick up.
  • The Arena Trap is fine, but the removal of drypass makes me upset. As a Voltturn player, I have always adored drypass
  • You, for asking this question. Off to the dungeon
  • DPP has always had a special place in my heart as the gen that really inspired me, but I have been adoring GSC lately too
  • I have considered it, but I have no clue what it will be. Aaron thinks it should be a parasect though
  • This year I'm actually playing for RoA :^)
Is your irl name Perry?

Is your irl name Shay?

Is your irl name Ookr?
No. I have 3 really common names and you have missed them all. You have been at it for years

Since your name was inspired by Al'Akir the Windlord (the coolest looking elemental lord imo), have you played a lot of WoW in the past and other Blizzard Games?
My father was always a huge Starcraft fan, so I have been in contact with Blizzard games for most of my life. In fact, I have been playing WoW since vanilla. Looking forward to the classic servers btw. I also play Starcraft II, but I can't say I'm particularly good at it

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
did u play samus returns and what did u think?
do i need to play the 3d metroids?

Why is Parasect your favourite pokemon? Quite a unique choice there I think.
Why are you the cutest user ever?

Akir

A true villain!
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
did u play samus returns and what did u think?
do i need to play the 3d metroids?
of course i played, i bought it day 1! Overall I felt like it was a great game but had a lot of problems with it that really felt like nintendo was relearning how to make a 2d metroid game after 13 years of not doing one. the visuals were incredible, but the music was subpar overall (the only original track that i remember was the lab theme). Good game and im glad that it happened, but am2r is better

As for 3d, if u r looking for something similar to the 2d games then prime 1 is what u r looking for. 2 and 3 feel closer to fusion in terms of their focus on story over exploration. still good games overall but i much prefer the 2d ones

Why is Parasect your favourite pokemon? Quite a unique choice there I think.
Why are you the cutest user ever?
Parasect is just a dude. a bro. a comrade. a friend. I mainly cite it as my favorite, in general, because it helps with modding the PU room. People are usually much more willing to hear me out when I say their fav is bad when I state that my fav is also bad. Gotta win over that empathy you know.

It is because I am the 2nd nicest user on Smogon! Last time that was measured fwiw

Have you tried Final fantasy games? If so did you liked them?

Favorite food?

Thoughts on TJ being swept by a luvdisc on ADV and a spinda on ORAS?

2nd most favorite mon?

Who is the best DPP player besides me?

Thoughs on Lapras on DDP PU?

Do you think Roselia could get a retest? Like cacturne can probably set spikes better rn to all the switches it forces.

Do you think every mon speed creeping rhydon and running hp grass just for it(it hits gastro now tho) makes it overcentralizing?

Did you watched your name? If so how would you rate it 1-10?

Thoughts on me guessing your name on my first try when ShuckleDeath still haven't guessed it on years?(I'm not telling you so don't ask shuckle)

Favourite alcoholic drink?

If you can ban 1 pokemon from each of the oldgen metagames what would they be?

Who are the best players for each pu oldgen?

If you had to name your first born child after somebody in the pu community who would it be?

Celebrity crush?

Last edited:

Akir

A true villain!
How do you think RoA will do in PSPL? :^)
we winnin

Have you tried Final fantasy games? If so did you liked them?

Favorite food?

Thoughts on TJ being swept by a luvdisc on ADV and a spinda on ORAS?

2nd most favorite mon?

Who is the best DPP player besides me?

Thoughs on Lapras on DDP PU?

Do you think Roselia could get a retest? Like cacturne can probably set spikes better rn to all the switches it forces.

Do you think every mon speed creeping rhydon and running hp grass just for it(it hits gastro now tho) makes it overcentralizing?

Did you watched your name? If so how would you rate it 1-10?

Thoughts on me guessing your name on my first try when ShuckleDeath still haven't guessed it on years?(I'm not telling you so don't ask shuckle)
  • I actually have never tried any FF games. Just never got around to it
  • Yeast rolls with honey on top
  • karma sure is a bitch sometimes
  • Heracross!
  • you again, but on a slightly worse day
  • it is a cool enough mon but overall doesnt really have the bulk or power to truly shine in the tier. also poliwrath exists and ppl would rather use that as their water
  • im not inherently opposed to it but i also shudder at adding roselia back after seeing what it did in honkmeta. the consistency of roselia setting up spikes in a tier that struggles to get rid of them is a very genuine concern
  • nope, especially since ppl dont really run hp grass anymore. offensive pressure is usually enough to deter it, and ppl run switchins pretty habitually now without thinking of it. missy, gastrodon, poliwrath, etc are all good in their own right
  • iirc my MAL has it at a 9. The art is astonishing and the story's twist actually got me, so those are worth a lot to me. The only downside is that it kinda relies on useless drama to drum up tension and thats rather meh
  • Shuckle sucks, pure and simple
How does it feel to be a living legend?
This is news to me, so I have no clue?

Favourite alcoholic drink?

If you can ban 1 pokemon from each of the oldgen metagames what would they be?

Who are the best players for each pu oldgen?

If you had to name your first born child after somebody in the pu community who would it be?

Celebrity crush?
  • I actually dont drink. woops
  • Sealeo, Articuno, Rotom-Frost, Muk
  • LordST, GA, Omfuga, happyelf the bug stall god
  • 2xTheBaby, assuming twins
  • Never really had one, so I'm gonna go with Hollywood Paychecks

Ktütverde

of course
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Hello!

Do you plan to make other events like the official roomtour to increase activity in the PU room and the level of the playerbase? If yes could you quickly describe your ideas?

How many alts do you think ShuckleDeath has ? What percentage of them includes "oo" as vowels?

Why is archeops's usage so low? Has there ever been such a controversial suspect? If it stays do you expect its usage to skyrocket as people realise it has a broken potential ?

Have a nice day:)

Akir

A true villain!
Hello!

Do you plan to make other events like the official roomtour to increase activity in the PU room and the level of the playerbase? If yes could you quickly describe your ideas?

How many alts do you think ShuckleDeath has ? What percentage of them includes "oo" as vowels?

Why is archeops's usage so low? Has there ever been such a controversial suspect? If it stays do you expect its usage to skyrocket as people realise it has a broken potential ?

Have a nice day:)
  • Hi!
  • Of course! I have always had idea like Speedbuilding Tournaments and more workshops and such, but that takes planning, work, luck, and a solid staff behind me. Unfortunately, I'm not very lucky and planning takes time.
  • I already know he has over 100, but the "oo" stuff is new
  • Archeop's usage is low because it has a high skill floor. I wouldn't really call this suspect particularly controversial, but even if it was it is still nothing close to even the Quagsire suspect. I highly doubt it stays, but people do like using broken.
  • Same to you.
Tea, Coffee or Hot Chocolate?
Hot chocolate, but only because I assume you mean shit like "Green Tea" when you say tea and not the glorious nectar of Sweet Tea

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)