Project PU Player Of The Week - Allstarapology (Week 9)

TJ

Banned deucer.
is the Smogon Tour Season 34 Championis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion

allstarapology
Favorite Pokemon: Landorus
Most used Pokemon: Skuntank
Most known for: Winning room tours or losing r1, being salty, Room Voice
TJ: Hey allstar, how are you today?
allstar: I'm doing fine, TJ, how are you doing?
TJ: Im doing well, thanks for asking

TJ: Could you tell us more about yourself outside of Smogon? What are your hobbies and things you enjoy?
allstar: I'm a sophomore in an aerospace high school and currently reside in Maryland. Outside of learning, the only thing I do at school is attend one club, so I have a lot of spare time on my hands. Aside from Pokemon, I really enjoy drawing and writing, as well as other games such as Persona, and trying to keep up with all the work I have. It isn't a lot admittedly, but I still have fun doing it all.

TJ: How and when did you get involed with the PU community?
allstar: I got interested in PU right around the release of SM PU Alpha. I had been on Showdown for a few months in advance, but I didn't really pay attention to many tiers outside of OU and NU until I saw some threads about ORAS PU. The tier seemed like fun, so I wanted to be there for SM PU and it not only lived up to my expectations, but went above and beyond at it. Admittedly the room and the people in it were intimidating, but eventually, I felt welcome.

TJ: Who do you look up to / admire most as a player and as a person in the PU scene?
allstar: Pretty much every voice, driver, moderator, room owner, and person in the PU room has my respect for being as knowledgeable, helpful, entertaining, and insightful they are, but in particular, I highly respect jklioe for being able to build teams so well around almost anything from what I've seen, and for also being an easy-to-talk-to person. There's also Teddeh, whose teams are consistently among the most well-built I've seen throughout my entire experience on Showdown, and what I aspire to be in regard to talent. Finally, there's rwby and Dibs The Dreamer, who are both perfect examples of what makes the PU room as great as it is to me. They're a perfect combination of all the traits I've previously mentioned, innovative, and never awful or unbearable to be around.

TJ: You are an example of an "exemplary" new user. What advice would you give to people trying to get involved in PU?
allstar: As funny as it is coming from someone who's nervous as hell all the time, don't be afraid to ask for help. Whether it be a voice, driver, or anybody. There's always someone that can help you get better at learning and playing. There are easily accessible resources on the forums, too, so checking those out would be ideal, as well. We all had to start somewhere, so don't feel as if you're awful or too bad to learn or anything else along those lines. Participating in room tours, though not necessary, can help you learn the tier if you don't like laddering, but don't let a loss or two get you down. Two L's make a W, after all.

TJ: Can you name any up and coming players showing good potential?
allstar: There are many players that I think show potential, but in particular, LordST (free him on draft btw), Stan Soojung jklioe, GenZeon, pinktidal, HJAD, rwby, and Sixes_ are definitely really solid players who you should definitely be on the look for in the future.

TJ: What are your thoughts on the Smogon Exhibition tournament?
allstar: Personally, I'm not too big a fan of the tournament due to a bunch of stuff that's going on in the thread and with players, but I do wish the best for Megazard and galbia, as well as everyone participating in the tournament. They deserve to put the W in Untier (W)University.

TJ: What type of music do you enjoy?
allstar: I enjoy a ton of OSTs of video games and find myself listening to them and remixes of video game songs more often than any other kind of music, but I do also enjoy hip hop, pop, and blues.

TJ: Lastly, can you give us a team that fits your playstyle and explain it?
allstar:

Throh @ Leftovers
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Circle Throw
- Bulk Up
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Skuntank @ Black Glasses
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Poison Jab
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Crunch

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Gyro Ball
- Protect
- Leech Seed

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Healing Wish
- Stealth Rock

Pyroar @ Choice Specs
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Flamethrower
- Fire Blast
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Oricorio-Sensu @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Dancer
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Hurricane
- Revelation Dance

This is a team that I've used on ladder, against friends, and in tours, that's had a fair amount of success. Throh's a Pokemon that I've been wanting to experiment more with, so I figured to first try it as a phazer on a hazard stacking team. Ferroseed and Mesprit form the hazard stacking core, with Mesprit providing useful Healing Wish support in case something is too weakened, and U-turn support to get stuff in easier. Skuntank gives the team priority to mitigate how slow the team was beforehand, as well as an offensive check to stuff like Oricoro-G, who was a major problem so far. Pyroar is the team's main wallbreaker and the team's cleaner, often having a much easier time succeeding at both due to both hazards and Throh shuffling opposing teams around. And Oricorio-G is the team's spinblocker, Z-Move user, and secondary wallbreaker. The team lacks hazard removal, which is why I've been using Defog on Skuntank, and Eelektross is really annoying, but neither have really caused all too much trouble before.

Thanks for your time! As always, if you guys have any questions feel free to ask them below!:toast:

yogi

I did not succumb...
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
hi you forgot to add my friend Haund to up n coming players!! honest mistake dw.

anywho grats bud you're a good user and i enjoy seeing your weird teams!

questions:

1) whadda wanna do when you're not at school (ik a question not pokemon related, crazy!)
2) best meme
3) worst meme
4) best memer
5) worst memer
6) best brit
7) best italian
8) worst brit
9) worst italian
10) worst american (there's no good ones unfort)

again, very congratulations n_n

Landorus needs to get Bandorus. I'm tired of playing every single OU game and the enemy Pokemon team always has a landorous. It ruins creativity. It ruins the metegame. Remove it. It's just dumb and overpowered.

on a scale of 1-16.8, how absolutely awful is user rwby

1. (M A R Y L A N D B O I S) Ravens, Orioles, or Wizards (or Terps or Navy ig)?
2. Best way to deal with salt?
3. Most underrated PU mon in your opinion?

Allstar is the goat.
1. Cats or dogs? Can't be both.
2. Favorite kind of turtle?
3. Coil Dunsparce y/y?
4. Any long-term plans?
4a. I would ask what your career aspirations are, but we all already know it's to be the #1 Pokemon Trainer of all time.
5. What's the highest fever you've ever had?

Aaronboyer

Something Worth Fighting For
is a Contributor to Smogon
Do you think what Finch and Anti did during the Smogon Exhibition auction was the right thing to do?
Why do you think Slar hates puns so much?
SU or ZU and why?
Who do you think will the PU Fall Seasonal?
Favorite Grass-type Starter?
Favorite Soda?

asa

is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PU Leader
hi you forgot to add my friend Haund to up n coming players!! honest mistake dw.

anywho grats bud you're a good user and i enjoy seeing your weird teams!

questions:

1) whadda wanna do when you're not at school (ik a question not pokemon related, crazy!)
2) best meme
3) worst meme
4) best memer
5) worst memer
6) best brit
7) best italian
8) worst brit
9) worst italian
10) worst american (there's no good ones unfort)

again, very congratulations n_n
my b, Haund is cool. :[

I'm really interested in game design, whether it be visuals, writing, music, you name it. There's also animation, voice acting, recording, video editing, and a bunch of other stuff. I don't really have too good of an idea of what to do as you can probably tell.
Smogon.com.
Ambipom.
You.
TJ.
Stan, soz.
Haund.
TJ in the alternate universe where he is British.
Luck > Skill bc I vaguely remember them saying that they'd try hot chocolate with cheese in it.
me obvs
Landorus needs to get Bandorus. I'm tired of playing every single OU game and the enemy Pokemon team always has a landorous. It ruins creativity. It ruins the metegame. Remove it. It's just dumb and overpowered.

on a scale of 1-16.8, how absolutely awful is user rwby
don't bandorus my mandorus :[ oh, and, uh. get back to me on this.
In your opinion, what does pu stand for and why
Plans Used because
Favorite type of cheese?
Lando I or Lando T?
How does it feel to be good at mons?
Least favorite colour?
White cheddar is the literal best cheese ever. Aside from that, gouda is p good, too.
lando-i lmao fuck lando-t
You're asking the wrong person, but I appreciate the compliment.
I don't think I really have a least favorite color, I like them all equally except for pink and green, the best colors.
1. (M A R Y L A N D B O I S) Ravens, Orioles, or Wizards (or Terps or Navy ig)?
2. Best way to deal with salt?
3. Most underrated PU mon in your opinion?
sports are garb lol. but ravens are all right.
Hope that you crit the opponent on the last turn.
In no particular order besides alphabetical, I feel as if Clefairy, Haunter, Shiftry, and Ursaring are pretty underrated. Clefairy's a really effective special wall with a lot of support options, Haunter and Shiftry are both pretty solid wallbreakers and have the potential to pull off a lot due to their vast movepools, and Ursaring for being a pretty big thorn in the side of fatter teams.
Allstar is the goat.
1. Cats or dogs? Can't be both.
2. Favorite kind of turtle?
3. Coil Dunsparce y/y?
4. Any long-term plans?
4a. I would ask what your career aspirations are, but we all already know it's to be the #1 Pokemon Trainer of all time.
5. What's the highest fever you've ever had?
google search help me (Dogs.)
Definitely not snapping ones.
Y
I've been wanting to write a book for years, but I've never had a good enough idea for one. There's also keeping my grades up so that I end up in a college that I'm aiming for, like CalArts.
You're too kind. n_n
It was like, Christmas in 2015. I literally didn't wanna do anything for a whole week.
Do you think what Finch and Anti did during the Smogon Exhibition auction was the right thing to do?
Why do you think Slar hates puns so much?
SU or ZU and why?
Who do you think will the PU Fall Seasonal?
Favorite Grass-type Starter?
Favorite Soda?
If you mean this whole 33 player thing, (I hope it is bc if it isn't, I'm dumb) I don't agree with it.
Because he doesn't find them punny.
SU, but mainly because I haven't played enough ZU to really form an opinion on it.
I don't know at this point, but I wish the best for everyone that's left.
Serperior.
Diet Pepsi.

Last edited:
favourite alcoholic drink?
which team is gunna win exhibiton and why is it the lunalas?
favourite tv show?
which NU mon do u want in PU?
favourite crisp (chips?) flavour?

asa

is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PU Leader
favourite alcoholic drink?
which team is gunna win exhibiton and why is it the lunalas?
favourite tv show?
which NU mon do u want in PU?
favourite crisp (chips?) flavour?
Diet Pepsi / Coke are so good they may as well be alcoholic.
The Lunalas bc Lunala > Solgaleo.
I don't watch a lot of TV these days, but I really love game shows, so ig stuff like Brain Games and Idiotest.
Slowbro ofc. But like. Either Piloswine or Rotom.
Sour cream and cheddar.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)