Resource PU Sample Teams [Taking Submissions]

Taskr

Peng Ting
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
PU Leader
art by HotFuzzBall
zDXSxM6.png

Teams to get into PU. Feel free to post your good teams, but keep in mind that I will be strict and will only add the teams that I believe are good enough to be sample teams. Don't forget to add descriptions of your team with at least one paragraph and an importable. Submissions for new teams are always open.

So to help people get into PU this is going to be like a repository of decent / good PU teams made by people who actually do play this game on a consistent basis. Some of the teams are better than others, and all of them will probably need some kind of work for it to be the best team it can be, but these teams are available for anyone to use if they are struggling making a team. I know we have the RMT section for this, but honestly most RMTs are just for showing off this is for actually helping people. What I want in this thread is good teams that you have been working on for a while and that you guys want to share with new players. This is not a thread to dump your teams as you build them.

Rejected Sample Team posts will be deleted or moved. This is to avoid confusion about which teams are accepted as sample teams among newer users viewing the thread.

Click this for SM sample teams
Click this for ORAS and XY sample teams
Click this for BW sample teams
Click this for DPP sample teams
Click this for ADV sample teams

USUM Sample Teams

Bulky Offense - curiosity

This is a bulky offence team that I used to experiment with Dodrio when the new drops were released, built around SD Flyinium Dodrio and providing it with the proper support it requires, which includes hazard control and a Regirock check or a secondary breaker that heavily pressures certain physical walls, with the most notable example being Regirock, which would otherwise invalidate it. Skuntank happened to fulfil many of the required roles, in addition to pressuring many of Dodrio's defensive checks, including Mesprit, Sableye and the aforementioned Regirock, which it traps and fears with a poison respectively. It also threatens many of Dodrio's offensive checks, trapping the likes of Froslass, Haunter and Alolan Raichu, which is especially notable, as this build struggles dealing with the latter defensively. Mesprit provides the team with hazards support, while also providing the build with a general blanket check versus problematic threats, including Gurdurr, Togedemaru and Qwilfish, in addition to invaluable Healing Wish support, which allows the team to be played more aggressively in general. Togedemaru provides this team with speed control, while improving the team's matchup versus Scyther, opposing Dodrio, Froslass and Lycanroc lacking sucker punch. Togedemaru also forms a very potent Voltturn core with Mesprit, which allows nearly everything to come in without much repercussion, which is especially useful in the offence matchup. Jellicent was added for a multitude of reasons - for one, it improved the team's matchup versus Aggron, as the following spread outpaces Jolly Aggron, while maximising bulk to improve the matchup versus prominent breakers such as Qwilfish, Swanna, Sandslash and Hitmonchan. Jellicent also gave the team a competent stallbreaker, allowing this build to easily bypass stall, in addition to improving the build's matchup versus rain. Finally, last mon Gurdurr gave this team priority, a reliable method to deal with Aggron, defensive Jellicent and Aurorus, while providing this team with a second form of priority.
Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

Skuntank (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Poison Jab

Dodrio (M) @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Early Bird
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Return
- Jump Kick

Togedemaru (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Zing Zap
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Toxic

Jellicent (M) @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Def / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Taunt
- Hex
- Recover
- Scald

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 216 Def
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Bulk Up

Stall - Funbot28

So I have noticed the thread lacked some stall teams even after the drop of Quagsire which is quite astonishing for me as I feel the blue blob has brought the playstyle some viability oncemore. Both Articuno and Altaria form the reliable entry hazard removal core which can be extremely important in this Spikes infested metagame. Articuno is great in checking most special attackers ranging from Mesprit, Lilligant, Oricorio-G, Jellicent, and offensive Froslass. It also provides the team useful Pressure support which can be great in counteracting certain anti-stall measures like Taunt users, status spreaders and of course entry hazards, applying pressure on the opponent from clicking these moves. It also has enough speed to outspeed Modest Jellicent which is extremely important. Altaria acts as the main Fighting resist of the team, checking threats such ass Gurdurr, Hitmonchan, and Primeape and and is also great in absorbing annoying status. Audino is the cleric and almost mandatory special sponge for any stall team due to how well it can support via Wish and Knock Off support in tandem with its great special bulk and Regenerator, enabling more pro-active plays for such as passive playstyle. Bronzor is the Steel-type and SR user of the team, checking the likes of Aggron, Kangaskhan, Stoutland, Lilligant, Jynx and Alolan Sandslash. Quagsire is the setup sweeper check and also provides the team a reliable wincon through Curse which can be great in breaking through things its intended to check such as Gurdurr, Dodrio, and Lycanroc. Also having another Band Head Smash swichin helps, while Rocky Helmet helps chip pivot users, wearing down the likes of Togedemaru and Primeape immensely. Lastly, we have offensive Z-Move Skuntank (which previously was a CroTomb) to help offensively check some dangerous stuff like Jellicent, CM / Specs Mesprit, Lilligant, CM Clefairy and Froslass. It cannot be stressed enough how great Pursuit can be at times for defensive teams like these to disrupt the aforementioned threats from going out of hands if Skunk's teammates have been worn down. Like I said, Crotomb can be run to have a secondary Fighting check and another wincon, but I have been liking this combination of the build due to balanced move called Pursuit. Threats to the team include: Taunt Jellicent, Specs Aurorus, Grass Knot Alolan-Raichu, and HP Grass Omastar.
Articuno @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 204 SpD / 56 Spe
Calm Nature
- Roost
- Freeze-Dry
- Toxic
- Defog

Altaria @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Haze
- Dragon Pulse

Audino @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Knock Off
- Heal Bell

Bronzor @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Bold Nature
- Psywave
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Rest

Quagsire @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Curse
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Recover

Skuntank @ Darkinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Poison Jab

Alolan Persian Offense - yogi

Hjad originally built a team similar to this for our pu ghosting tour match, and after like a serious amount of testing i started to edit a few things. the original team was overall quite weak to flying-types so i edited it to have a faster choice scarf user while also doubling down on electric-types. Alolan Persian is a fantastic pivot in the current meta and i'm so glad people are picking up on that, as its ability to threaten the millions of strong physical sweepers, like dodrio and lycanroc, while also providing taunt + toxic + parting shot support is just so good. Specs jellicent really doesn't need any explanation, it's just a stupidly good breaker and basically makes my stall mu 10x better just by existing. Alolan raichu rounds out the strong breaker core by just messing up basically every specially defensive wall, like lanturn and hitmonchan, but it also means i don't get wrecked by shit eviolite scyther. Togedemaru is the best choice scarfer in the tier and, like with jellicent, doesn't need much explanation; it basically revenges shit and keeps flying-types in check, while also soft checking stuff like kangaskhan and lycanroc. Mesprit with hidden power ground and enough speed to creep jolly aggron just makes my match up versus aggron and skuntank way more manageable. Finally hitmonchan is here to blanket check special attackers and spin, but the priority can also be nice and it stop stuff like special skuntank getting too dumb.
Persian-Alola @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Fur Coat
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Foul Play
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Parting Shot

Jellicent @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Water Spout
- Hydro Pump
- Shadow Ball
- Ice Beam

Raichu-Alola @ Life Orb
Ability: Surge Surfer
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Psyshock
- Grass Knot
- Nasty Plot

Togedemaru @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Zing Zap
- Iron Head
- Toxic

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 Spe
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Hitmonchan @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 248 HP / 132 Atk / 128 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Mach Punch
- Rapid Spin

Kanga Spikes v2 - Taskr

Firstly I started off with the core of Jellicent+Roselia since they have a lot of synergy together since Roselia can check Grass types like Lilligant well whilst also setting Spikes and Jellicent can spinblock for Roselia whilst also checking Ice type Pokemon such as Alolan Sandslash which Roselia doesn't like. The next part of the core is stolen from jklioe's build as Mudsdale offers good support in being able to check Skuntank and Rock Types like Aggron and Lycanroc whereas Alolan Sandslash is a decent spinner being able to hit Froslass super effectively with Iron Head and checking Pokemon like Aurorus better. Kangaskhan thrives on these like of teams with Spike stack and a good defensive backbone as with Fake Out and Sucker Punch it can deal with a lot of offensive threats and Spikes help it break past defensive Pokemon a lot easier. Lastly, added Choice Scarf Mesprit which can sometimes be a decent cleaner but also has invaluable Healing Wish support to give one of the defensive mons without reliable recovery like Mudsdale a second life if it's needed later on in the game too.
Roselia @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 236 SpD / 24 Spe
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis

Jellicent @ Waterium Z
EVs: 248 HP / 196 Def / 64 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Kangaskhan @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Scrappy
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Double-Edge

Mudsdale @ Leftovers
Ability: Stamina
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Atk / 32 Def / 164 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Rock Slide

Sandslash-Alola @ Leftovers
Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 248 HP / 208 SpD / 52 Spe
Careful Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic
- Iron Head
- Earthquake

Mesprit @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Trick
- Healing Wish

Double Dog - Megazard

Stoutland plays fast and aggressive, and should always be picking up at least
one kill per match. Fat Normal-resists can get played around in a variety of
ways depending on the matchup, correct predictions can wildly swing the game
in your favor, and Pursuit is a broken and stupid move. Seriously, why can my
slowish banded Normal-type wallbreaker remove Togedemaru? No customization
on the moveset, dropping Facade is something I've contemplated a lot since the
team has Healing Wish but I'm hard pressed to think of a better move that isn't
some random, surprise factor-oriented gimmick.
Also completely lacking in novelty or customization, Lycanroc is going to be the
wincon in approximately 75% of games. This can vary if they have very particular team
structures, usually involving pivot Alolan Persian or Mudsdale + another really fat Stoutland
resist, but it's kinda rare. It is, however, really good at coming in to pop the Z-move early
to grab a random kill versus non-Mudsdale having teams. Weirdly enough I feel like Accelerock
is a legitimate option here over Sucker Punch since the team chips away at Togedemaru pretty
well, especially if this team's Togedemaru was swapped to Iron Barbs, but aside from that it's just
your basic, run-of-the-mill, store-brand rock doggo.
Ok now we can have some fun. Choice Specs Alolan Exeggutor is a weird choice in
the current meta simply because there are so many stupid wallbreakers it's hard to
justify the more niche ones like eggy. Still, the defensive utility is really what sells him
on this team. No hazard control cripples a lot of the good special wallbreakers, not
being allowed to use a Z-move cuts out a lot more, and the need to check Lilligant
rounds out the trifecta of things it can do. Oh yeah, and it also just murders everything
with barely any need for predictions, trades with practically the entire metagame since
it's really hard to OHKO without an Ice move, and forces people to play extra careful
just in case you're OTR. I love this mon, but I really won't be all that disappointed
when it ends up rising to NU, just clicking Draco Meteor and killing things is super safe.
The Speed beats Drampa, 0 Speed Lanturn and Roselia, and all the random base 50's.
Look I never claimed this team was built around innovative sets or Pokemon. Rocks, pivoting, and Healing
Wish are all incredibly good and everyone knows exactly what it does for a reason. Mesprit is very
easy to play extremely aggressively and often gets sacked without even getting off a Healing
Wish, but that's ok because you're pretty much never going to fail to at least get off Stealth Rock
and get one or two free wallbreaking opportunities for Stoutland or Alolan Exeggutor. No customization
or random lures in the last slot or anything, it just plays the same it does on most every other offense team.
Real talk I almost never see other Choice Scarf Togedemaru actually clicking Encore and it just
baffles me, it's an awesome move that has a bunch of random utility in situations you'd never
expect but I can't recall watching another person's game and seeing them use it well. Togedemaru
is just so good, free Speed control with the ability to clean teams and check half the meta while never
being useless, even versus full stall teams. In the rare cases Lycanroc can't be your win condition,
trying to win with Spikes + Togedemaru is weirdly effective. This Pokemon just scares me, it's
somehow on just about every good team and never worthless. You can play it highly aggressively by
pivoting into strong stuff like Dodrio and using Encore a lot, you can play it safe and save it
for a sweep, you can just save it to revenge kill one specific threat like Nasty Plot
Alolan Persian, it really doesn't matter.
Qwilfish rounds out the team doing its general "check
everything, get helmet + Spikes chip and die" routine except with the occasional
ability to actual kill things because Taunt + Destiny Bond is a great combo for pressuring
teams. You could legit run this with 0 attacks and it would barely make a difference
for Qwilfish's damage output, it's just so good at constantly chipping and checking
and annoying everything. The offensive nature of the team means you can
afford to literally sack this for just 2 rounds of Rocky Helmet versus something like
Kangaskhan and it'll be completely worth it, which is really where this Pokemon is
at its most effective.
Stoutland @ Choice Band
Happiness: 0
Adamant Nature
- Frustration
- Pursuit
- Superpower
- Facade

Lycanroc @ Lycanium Z
Ability: Keen Eye
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Drill Run
- Sucker Punch

Exeggutor-Alola @ Choice Specs
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Giga Drain
- Flamethrower
- Draco Meteor

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Psychic
- Healing Wish

Ability: Lightning Rod
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Zing Zap
- Iron Head
- Encore

Qwilfish @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Spikes
- Waterfall
- Destiny Bond

Last edited:

Taskr

Peng Ting
PU Leader
England is my City - yogi
777.png
481.png
377.png
446.png
110.png
275.png

Hi all! This is a neat team I used to top the ladder a bit ago and I think it's pretty neat ngl.
  • Togedemaru is a really nice pivot mon and is great at disrupting the opponents set-up mons and Volt Switch pivots. Encore and Toxic help mess up a lot of teams, especially when Rocks are up.
  • Mesprit is pretty much my main breaker, able to smack through most teams with its powerful base 105 special attack combined with choice specs. It is basically there to force switches and stuff.
  • Regirock is my Stealth Rocks setter and soft wall to most mons, especially with its rather rare counter chople set. It's also a nice check to primeape and gurdurr if weezing is down.
  • Munchlax is my premier special wall and is like borderline unkillable lol. No but seriously this thing can take special hits like they're nothing.
  • Weezing is mainly here to get chip damage on fighting types and to pivot into things like piloswine too. It also gives my team access to tspikes and taunt.
  • Finally I have my rather slow scarfer, but it does role compression quite well and also gives me a way to remove hazards.
Togedemaru @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Encore
- Fake Out
- Toxic
- Zing Zap

Mesprit @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Psychic
- U-turn

Regirock @ Chople Berry
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 248 HP / 184 Atk / 16 Def / 60 SpD
Impish Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Counter
- Stone Edge

Munchlax @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Body Slam
- Curse
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

Weezing @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Toxic Spikes

Shiftry @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Chlorophyll
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Knock Off
- Leaf Blade
- Rock Slide

Spring Surprise - Megazard
741-s.png
115.png
481.png
107.png
419.png
435.png

This is a rather fun team built around Oricorio's underrated capabilities as a both Speed and Special Attack boosting sweeper. Kangaskhan is the team's main wallbreaker to support Sensu, with Mesprit's Stealth Rock and Healing Wish supporting it in turn. Hitmonchan provides priority, special bulk, and potential removal, and Skuntank finds its way in as a utility attacker, third priority user, and check to a number of threats including pretty much every Psychic-type in the tier. Floatzel acts as a secondary cleaner and the team's best method of Speed control, as it opts for Floatzel plus lots of priority to make up for lacking a Choice Scarf user. The team needs to be played rather aggressively, breaking opponents before they break you with threats like Jynx which can get out of hand if not properly handled.
Oricorio-Sensu @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Dancer
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hurricane
- Revelation Dance
- Agility

Kangaskhan @ Silk Scarf
Adamant Nature
- Power-Up Punch
- Return
- Sucker Punch
- Facade

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 84 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Healing Wish
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Ground]

EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Rapid Spin
- Thunder Punch
- Mach Punch

Floatzel @ Life Orb
Ability: Water Veil
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Skuntank @ Shuca Berry
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Taunt

Old Favorites - HJAD
481.png
479-spin.png
597.png
107.png
435.png
467.png

This is a balance that takes a more defensive approach, focusing on the defensive synergy between all 6 members to cover most threats. Mesprit, Ferroseed and Hitmonchan attempt to dominate the entry hazard game, while Rotom-Fan, Magmortar, and Skuntank take more of an offensive role in pressuring teams. In particular, Magmortar is meant to muscle through teams with the entry hazard support, while Skuntank plays more of a utility Pursuit-trapping role and finally Rotom-Fan cleans up weakened teams at the end.
Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

Rotom-Fan @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Trick
- Air Slash
- Will-O-Wisp

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Gyro Ball

EVs: 248 HP / 48 Atk / 212 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Mach Punch
- Rapid Spin

Skuntank @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 32 SpD / 224 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Poison Jab

Magmortar @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Vital Spirit
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Flame Charge

Regislug Balance - Anty
026-a.png
423.png
435.png
377.png
110.png
581.png

Anty's balance has a rather simple goal of walling things with Gastrodon, Weezing and Regirock long enough for Raichu-Alola to get inside and wreak havoc with its strong Nasty Plot set. Skuntank forcibly chips away at the few things bulky enough to take on a +2 Raichu-Alola, and Choice Scarf Swanna cleans up at the end while also providing emergency entry hazard removal.
Raichu-Alola @ Fightinium Z
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 228 Def / 28 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Recover

Skuntank @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Poison Jab

Regirock @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Slide
- Toxic
- Curse

Weezing @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Toxic Spikes
- Taunt
- Fire Blast

Swanna @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Defog
- Surf
- Hurricane
- Brave Bird

Last edited:

Taskr

Peng Ting
PU Leader
Archeops Balance - yogi
This is a fairly standard bulky offense team based around Archeops and Gurdurr. Archeops was the first pick as it delivers fast utility with Taunt alongside an extremely powerful Acrobatics and Earthquake, which helps break down threats to Gurdurr, like Weezing and Mesprit. Gurdurr offers a good physical blanket check along with being a decent set up sweeper with Bulk Up, and has Mach Punch to help deal with weakened faster foes. Mesprit is great at role compression and gives the team a soft check to opposing Archeop's, along with Stealth Rock and Healing Wish Support, and a slow U-turn. Lanturn fits on the team as the blanket check to special attackers and is able to form a slow Volt-Turn core with Mesprit. Pyroar is the dedicated Speed control for the team, as it can outspeed +1 Lilligant and Jynx, along with most common Choice Scarf Pokemon like Primeape. Finally Silvally Fairy was chosen to act as another Fighting-type check while also providing Parting Shot support and being the team's way of removing hazards with Defog.
Archeops
Ability: Defeatist
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Taunt
- Roost

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Atk / 64 Def
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch
- Bulk Up

Mesprit @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- Stealth Rock
- Healing Wish
- U-turn

Lanturn @ Assault Vest
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 96 SpD / 160 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Pyroar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Unnerve
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Endeavor

Silvally-Fairy @ Fairy Memory
Ability: RKS System
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Multi-Attack
- Defog
- Toxic
- Parting Shot

Gurdurr Bulky Offense - GenZeon
This team, which is build around one of the most scariest setup mons in Gurdurr, resembles the current meta fairly well. Bulky BO Gurdurr tanks physical hits for days and is always an annoying mon to face. AV Eelektross is a great partner for Gurdurr because it checks common threats like Mesprit, Swanna and Oricorio pretty well while forcing your opponent constantly in 50/50s. Palossand is not only the rocker, but also the physical wall on the team. Palo is crucial on this team cause it reliably beats fighting types, but also other problematic mons like Archeops. Specs Pyroar was chosen next for it's sheer wallbreaking capabilies. Honestly this mon has no switchins and paired with Knock Off support for Clefairy + 2 fighting resists, this thing is a horror to face for most BO teams. Last but not least, the team lacked some speed so Choice Scarf Support Mesprit was chosen. Without Altaria, there isn't really any need for Ice Beam anymore, so HW + Trick is a cool combo, because it annoys the ever-so-popular Clefairy+Ferroseed core but also gives mons without reliable recovery like Eelektross and Gurdurr a second life. Skuntank doesn't really need any explanations at all. Pairs superb with Mesprit, has the needed hazard removal and also is a nice priority user, while also improving the Clefairy matchup.
Gurdurr @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Atk / 176 Def / 28 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch

Eelektross @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Volt Switch
- Giga Drain
- Flamethrower
- Knock Off

Palossand @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Water Compaction
EVs: 248 HP / 248 Def / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Shadow Ball
- Shore Up

Pyroar @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Flamethrower

Mesprit @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Healing Wish
- Trick

Skuntank @ Darkinium Z
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Sucker Punch
- Poison Jab
- Defog

Hail Balance - Many
There is no hail sample or even one with Aurorus/Sandslash, so I thought this was a good opportunity to drop what I felt was a solid and easy-to-use team. This team revolves around an offense hail core of Specs Aurorus + SD Icium Z Sandslash. Aurorus is a wallbreaker and clicks Blizzard, making things die. Sandslash takes opportunities of the holes it punches through Ice-resists and uses that to clean up under Hail. Jolly is run here to be able to revenge kill +1 Jynx in Hail, although it can make it a little weak at times. Gastrodon and Altaria form the defensive core that is there to buffer the ice-type mons from attacks. Altaria is one of the best Fire-resists in the tier, which is of course helpful when you have two Ice-types, and it also is able to switch into Close Combat if necessary. Gastrodon is a catch-all physical tank that helps against the like of Skuntank and Archeops, and adds an additional buffer to Fire-type attacks. Mesprit was chosen as the Stealth Rock setter which shouldn't need to much explanation. Dazzling Gleam is there to annoy Spiritomb, and Colbur as usual helps with tanking Dark-type moves, while Knock Off helps with Clefairy who the team may struggle with, while helping a bit against Aguav Spiritomb and Ferroseed. The moveset for Mesprit is highly flexible and can be changed to suit your teams' needs (for example, running HP Fire for Ferroseed or Healing Wish). Choice Scarf Primeape is the final pokemon, functioning as a solid speed control that can revenge kill pokemon like +1 Lilligant and slower Scarf Pokemon. Using Scarf Passimian is also an option of course, but I think this team prefers the extra speed control. Either way, the U-turn fighting-type pairs very well with Aurorus as a U-turn on stuff like Spiritomb and Palossand will often give Aurorus a free Blizzard. This team is weak to Passimian, although it can be played around with the speed control and soft Fighting-resists, and being a Hail team there is not too much that can be done about that (until it is possibly banned).
Aurorus @ Choice Specs
Ability: Snow Warning
Modest Nature
- Blizzard
- Freeze-Dry
- Earth Power
- Frost Breath

Sandslash-Alola @ Icium Z
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off

Altaria @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Toxic
- Flamethrower
- Defog
- Roost

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Earth Power
- Scald
- Toxic
- Recover

Primeape @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defiant
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Gunk Shot

Passimian + Spiritomb - HJAD
This team was built around the core of Scarf Passimian + Pursuit Psychic Spiritomb. Scarf Passimian is a Pokemon which is one of the more consistent cleaners PU has at the moment. Not only does it have fantastic power coming off its high attack and STAB Close Combat but also massive bulk, so revenge killing it with priority because increasingly difficult. The end result, as well as the capability to knock the items off its own counters, is a Pokemon which needs very little support to clean games. Pursuit Psychic Spiritomb is a set which is can be used as a pursuit trapper and has the added niche of being able to hit Gurdurr and Weezing with Psychic, both of which check Passimian. At this point, I decide to add the Hazards stack core of Defensive Mesprit and Ferroseed. Mesprit gives the team rocks, a ground immunity, healing wish as well as momentum coming from U-Turn. Ferroseed added Spikes and formed a solid Balance core with the Mesprit and Spiritomb. I then added Skuntank as another way of Pursuit trapping Fighting Resists as well as providing the team with an emergency defogger and a tspike absorber. Lastly, I needed a way of switching in on Fire types but for it also to be good emergency win-condition that could match up well vs the teams Passimian didn't. This is where Dragon Dance Altaria comes in as it can provide this in bundles.
Passimian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Receiver
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Earthquake

Spiritomb @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Atk / 24 Spe
Brave Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Psychic
- Will-O-Wisp

Skuntank @ Black Sludge
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Defog

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 180 Def / 80 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Relaxed Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Gyro Ball

Altaria @ Dragonium Z
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Outrage
- Earthquake

The HJAD team - Dibs The Dreamer
This team is extremely cookie cutter, utilising the tier's current best cores to make a reliable bulky offense team. The first core is the hazard stack core of Ferroseed and Clefairy, a combination which provides an array of resistances and blanket checking a large proportion of the tier. Ferroseed provides the team with a reliable normal, water and psychic resist, abusing it's defensive prowess to spread residual damage in the form of Spikes and Leech Seed. Clefairy is able to take on most special attackers that Ferroseed doesn't want to, most importantly fire types which regularly try to take advantage of Ferroseed. Since the initial core is focused around hazard stack a spinblocker was appreciated. Spiritomb was chosen as it provides the team with Will-O-Wisp utility to cripple physical wallbreakers to help stop them overwhelming the initial core. Psychic is also important as it turns Spiritomb into a Weezing and Gurdurr check, 2 'mons which give the initial core a large amount of trouble due to Knock Off and Taunt. Scarf Passimian makes a great partner to Spiritomb since it appreciates the Pursuit trapping support provided, removing psychic and ghost types to let Passimian's cleaning potential with Close Combat really shine. The team still needed hazard removal even with a Spike stacker and Swanna fit perfectly, further improving the team's Gurdurr match-up and giving the team much needed damage with the nuke of Z-Hurricane. To round up the team's offensive core is Eelektross, creating a volt-turn combination with Passimian and working well with Swanna due to typing synergy. It also gave the team much needed counterplay against Taunt Archeops and opposing Eelektross which give the team trouble.
HJAD (Ferroseed) @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 128 Def / 132 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Spikes
- Protect

H HJAD (Clefairy) @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled

HJ JAD (Spiritomb) @ Aguav Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Psychic
- Will-O-Wisp

HJA AD (Passimian) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Receiver
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Knock Off

HJAD D (Swanna) @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Big Pecks
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Scald
- Roost
- Defog

H H J J A A D D (Eelektross) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 240 SpA / 16 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off

Kangaspikes - Raiza
Basic Kangaskhan spikes offense. Hazards weaken opposing mons and allow Kanga to kill them off with double priority or net kills with Double-Edge or Earthquake if faster, given most normal resist can be easily chipped. To build kangaspikes you need spikes so i went with fast qwilfish, chose this over ferroseed because it fit more in an offensive archetype, had better synergy in general, and had the added benefice of tspikes which are extranice with fake out and further weakening enemy mons in general. I needed hazard removal to not get screwed over by opposing spikes but didnt want to use defog otherwise it would've been harder to keep my own hazards on the field so i decided to go with the best rapid spin user in the tier, Hitmonchan. Stealth Rock are mandatory, and Regirock is just a nice mon to just lead with most cases and get sr up early, also its my main answer to normal types, stuff like pyroar, and archeops. Qwilfish is a lackluster fighting type answer so i needed something else for that. Oricorio-Sensu is my second win con, can wallbreak rather easily with cm +z hurricane, provides me with another check for fighting and psychic-types and can also spinblock(also oricorio answers such as lanturn and regirock are weak to hazards). Lastly I needed a revengekiller and Mesprit was the optimal choice, it makes the matchup vs fighting types trivial, gives me momentum with u-turn, is naturally bulky so it can tank hits when it isnt able to directly KO something, and trick allows me to surprise stall / sableye.
this team is weak to some stuff such as sableye(you need to surprise it with trick mesprit or scare it away with oricorio and get up a sub, or pray the opponent doesnt lead with it and manage to set up tspikes with qwil) and floatzel / swanna (floatzel only with specs otherwise qwil pivots, anyways Hitmonchan Kanga and Mesprit can all tank a hit and retaliate pretty hard), and some other minor things that you can get around with smart play and hazard pressure(palossand). otherwise its a pretty solid team.
Kangaskhan @ Silk Scarf
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

Qwilfish @ Rocky Helmet
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Taunt
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes

Regirock @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Def / 204 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Protect

EVs: 208 HP / 252 Atk / 48 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- Rapid Spin

Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Revelation Dance
- Hurricane
- Substitute

Mesprit @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Trick
- Ice Beam

Togedemaru Offense - Taskr
Togedemaru is a really cool scarfer in this meta now due to it being able to outspeed Primeape and Jynx at +1 and also has a new move in Iron Head which is great in conjunction with Spikes and T-Spikes. The second member of this team is Qwilfish which provides the hazard support that allows this team to pressure otherwise defensive threats such as Sableye and Gastrodon. Archeops is one of the biggest offensive threats in the meta and naturally loves the hazard support from Qwilfish and Palossand, it is also great for improving my match-up against things like Kangaskhan and other threatening Normal-types like Zangoose. Palossand also got a buff in USUM in Stealth Rock which means it now has great role compression in being a good check to other Archeops, Spinblocking whilst also providing rocks. Sub Nasty Plot Z-Lovely Kiss Jynx is also a massive threat due to it being really hard to revenge kill and it can sweep a lot of teams without good measures. Lastly, Hitmonchan adds Rapid Spin support which the team appreciates and also provides a blanket check to Fire-types such as Pyroar and Magmortar.
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Toxic
- U-turn
- Zing Zap

Qwilfish @ Rocky Helmet
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Taunt
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes

Archeops
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Knock Off
- Earthquake

Palossand @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Earth Power
- Shore Up
- Stealth Rock
- Shadow Ball

Jynx @ Normalium Z
Ability: Dry Skin
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Nasty Plot
- Substitute
- Lovely Kiss

EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- Rapid Spin
- Drain Punch

Spring Surprise V2 - Megazard
This is just a version of Spikes offense which tries to abuse how strong Choice Specs Pyroar and Power-Up Punch Kangaskhan are at breaking down bulkier teams. Qwilfish sets Spikes for the aforementioned Normal-type wallbreakers, Mesprit sets Stealth Rocks and removes Eviolites from a few key Pokemon with Knock Off, Oricorio-Sensu acts as an anti-offense and balance measure with its two setup moves, and Primeape functions as the team’s cleaner. The team should be played very aggressively as it does fail to switch into some common threats as a result of its offensive nature, and can get some benefit bluffing and revealing sets like Agility on Oricorio.
Qwilfish @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Explosion
- Taunt
- Spikes

Pyroar (F) @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hyper Voice
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Kangaskhan @ Silk Scarf
Adamant Nature
- Power-Up Punch
- Return
- Sucker Punch
- Facade

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Psychic
- U-turn

Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Revelation Dance
- Calm Mind
- Agility

Primeape @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

HJAD Spikes - HJAD

It's just a really standard Spikes build. Clefairy and Ferroseed blanket wall a lot of the meta while chipping things with Toxic and Leech Seed and setting up entry hazards. Spiritomb weakens things with Pursuit trapping and spinblocks, while Hitmonchan provides some priority, entry hazard removal, and another blanket check for Pokemon like Eelektross. Aurorus and Kangaskhan do most of the wallbreakingt, they aren't the strongest breakers but are all the team needs when combined with the massive amounts of chip damage the other members can rack up.
Clefairy @ Eviolite
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Soft-Boiled

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Relaxed Nature
- Spikes
- Protect
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed

Spiritomb @ Aguav Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Atk / 24 Spe
Brave Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Psychic
- Will-O-Wisp

Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- Rapid Spin

Aurorus @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Freeze-Dry
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Rock]

Kangaskhan @ Fightinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Focus Punch

Rocks Aggron Offense - Twix

This is a pretty standard Aggron team that utilizes common Pokemon such as Mesprit, Oricorio-S, Primeape, and Skuntank. Aggron is the team's rocker, which can also double as a strong physical attacker due to Heavy Slam and Head Smash. Fire Punch helps deal with Ferroseed and opposing Steel-types, which Shuca Berry can let it get rocks or a surprise kill against some Ground-types. Specs Mesprit works very well in weakening walls for Oricorio-S and luring in Spiritomb with Dazzling Gleam. Gastrodon is the main Water- and Electric-type check, which can both get pretty annoying, and has access to Toxic. Oricorio-S is the team's main sweeper and the Z move user, which appreciates walls being broken by other Pokemon. It also can function as a deterrent to Rapid Spin or Fighting-type moves, although it is a bit risky. Primeape is the team's main Speed control, as well as an effective pivot, while Skuntank is the answer to Toxic Spikes, can Defog, and has access to priority.
Aggron @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Rock Head
Adamant Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Fire Punch
- Head Smash
- Stealth Rock

Mesprit @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Healing Wish

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 52 Def / 208 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Recover
- Toxic

Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Revelation Dance
- Substitute
- Calm Mind

Primeape @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Skuntank @ Lum Berry
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Sucker Punch
- Poison Jab
- Defog

Kingler Offense - Megazard

Kingler @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Adamant Nature
- Agility
- Liquidation
- Knock Off
- Superpower

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

Pyroar @ Firium Z
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Taunt

Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Zing Zap
- Iron Head
- Encore

EVs: 208 HP / 84 Atk / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Mach Punch
- Rapid Spin

Spiritomb @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Foul Play
This is an offense team featuring Kingler, a Pokemon which has gotten significantly better since gaining access to Liquidation through Ultra Sun and Moon move tutors. It's strong as both an Agility sweeper and a wallbreaker which requires no boosts to break through most of the metagame. Mesprit provides pivoting, Stealth Rock, and Healing Wish support, all of which massively benefit Kingler. As a secondary wallbreaker, Pyroar helps to pressure bulky Water-types and provides some Speed control. Choice Scarf Togedemaru also helps with Speed control, checking Electric-types and making sure dangerous sweepers such as Jynx and Lilligant can be revenge killed. Assault Vest Hitmonchan provides excellent role compression in removing entry hazards while being a check to strong special attackers like Magmortar. While Hitmonchan lacks recovery, the team's offensive nature means it won't need to switch into strong wallbreakers frequently. Finally, Spiritomb helps keep common Psychic- and Fighting-types like Mesprit and Primeape in check while Rocky Helmet punishes many U-Turn users which might otherwise freely pivot on the team.

Crab Bulky Offense - TJ
This team is based around a very strong offensive core in Firium-Z Taunt Pyroar along with Kingler who is very good at pressuring a lot of Pyroars switch ins such as Regirock and Clefairy. Mesprit is a nice pivot that provides Stealth Rock support along with checking Fighting types such as Hitmonchan and Gurdurr. Altaria can also Fighting types as well as some variations of Kingler and can Defog away entry hazards for the team. Hidden Power Ground is a nice tech for hitting Aggron 4x super effectively. Assault Vest Crabominable can sponge a lot of special attacks and is especially great for checking Hail teams as it can switch into Aurorus very well. Lastly Togedemaru gives the team speed control and the ability to revenge kill certain threats.
Pyroar @ Firium Z
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hyper Voice
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp

Kingler @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Liquidation
- Stomping Tantrum
- Agility
- Ice Beam

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 180 Def / 80 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

Altaria @ Leftovers
EVs: 220 HP / 196 Def / 92 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Dragon Pulse
- Roost
- Defog

Crabominable @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 244 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Ice Hammer
- Close Combat
- Earthquake

Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Encore
- Zing Zap

Kanga Spikes - Taskr
This team is built around the core of Kangaskhan and Qwilfish as the aim of this team is to lay up hazards and use the residual damage in combination with the teams priority users in Kangaskhan and Hitmonchan. Hitmonchan is able to rapid spin away hazards on your own side of the field whilst bulky Oricorio-Sensu is able to spinblock opposing rapid spinners. Choice Scarf Aurorus adds more speed to the team and also provides chip damage from Hail which is helpful in some situations. Clefairy rounds off the team as a blanket special wall that sets up Stealth Rocks.
Clefairy @ Eviolite
Sassy Nature
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Calm Mind
- Stealth Rock

Kangaskhan @ Silk Scarf
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Earthquake
- Double-Edge
- Sucker Punch

Qwilfish @ Rocky Helmet
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Spikes
- Sludge Bomb
- Taunt

Aurorus @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Freeze-Dry
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Earth Power

EVs: 244 HP / 140 Atk / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- Rapid Spin

EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 88 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Taunt
- Calm Mind

Volt Turn - LordST
This a bulky offensive team that I used in my win of the finals of PUPL built around giving Bulky SD Scyther all the support it needs to be successful while also creating a strong volturn core. The team started with the core of Gurdurr + Scyther because of Gurdurr's unparalleled ability to check and pressure every Scyther check in the tier and how well they can break down defensive teams together. Defog Rotom was added since Scyther obviously needs good removal in order to mitigate its crippling Stealth Rocks weakness. Rotom can do this while being a soft check to Aurorus and Snowslash which both force out Scyther while also keeping up momentum and offensive pressure via Volt Switch. Defensive Mesprit was added for rocks, the primary fighting check so Scyther doesn't have to, slow Uturn to keep up the voltturn vortex even more, and Healing Wish support for Gurdurr and Scyther. Type: Null completes the defensive backbone as a catch all special wall to especially threatening breakers like Pyroar, Aurorus, Omastar, and Lilligant thanks to it's ungodly bulk. It can do this while still keeping up momentum with slow Uturn. Kabutops was added as the team's speed control. Because Type Null can more or less pretty comfortably deal with Omastar, Lilligant, and Z Kiss Jynx (the biggest reasons to run a fast scarfer) I'm free to choose a slow scarfer if I want. Kabutops gives me added insurance against Pyroar which can potentially break through Type: Null as well as a solid Flying resist to take on the likes of Oricorio and Scyther. Crucially, it also gives the team a second form of hazard removal to further support Scyther.
Gurdurr @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 204 Def / 36 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch

Type: Null @ Eviolite
Ability: Battle Armor
Careful Nature
- Frustration
- U-turn
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Kabutops @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Swift Swim
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Stone Edge
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off

Rotom-Frost @ Icium Z
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Blizzard
- Defog
- Will-O-Wisp

Scyther @ Eviolite
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
- Aerial Ace
- Swords Dance
- U-turn
- Roost

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 176 HP / 252 Def / 80 Spe
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Healing Wish

Aggron Offense - Akir
This team is an offense team with a pretty big focus on defensive synergy. Almost bulky offense but benefits massively from good play and momentum with lots of options to create both without relying on either. Aggron is Offensive Stealth Rocker with Taunt. Jolly is chosen to outspeed Aurorus and Lanturn. Good defenses and access to Taunt means that it can reasonably stallbreak while adding a lot of defensive utility. Also takes Normal moves like a champ and is in general very difficult to switch in on, even without a damage boosting item. Choptle is chosen as the item to ease the Fighting matchup and help beat Scyther/Kangaskhan. Togedemaru is added for speed control and U-Turn momentum generation. The immunity to Electric also gives the team the ability to punish Volt Switch, and the additional speed is critical for dealing with threats like Choice Scarf Primeape and other faster threats. STABs are chosen, with U-Turn for momentum and Toxic to punish common switchins like Lanturn. Qwilfish works overtime as the defensive backbone of the team, checking huge threats like Kingler, Scyther, Hitmonchan, and more. Spikes add pressure to the opponent, and Thunder Wave is key for the team because it is fairly slow beyond Togedemaru. Taunt and max Speed is there to outspeed Skuntank and Taunt before it can get the Defog off. Rocky Helmet is chosen to punish U-Turn users, Fighting-types, and Rapid Spin. Mesprit is a Choice Specs wallbreaker that adds a ton of options to the team. Each time Mesprit is out, it can choose between getting switch priority with U-Turn, nuking with Psychic/Dazzling Gleam, or reviving a partner with Healing Wish. Mesprit also adds a lot of defensive synergy as well, dodging Ground moves and double padding the Fighting answers. Lilligant is the sweeper for the team, utilizing Quiver Dance and Z-Sleep Powder to do so. Sleep Powder puts threats to sleep, and sleep = death more often than not, with Z Sleep Powder giving Lilligant a free +1 Speed. Quiver Dance is crazy good, and with Giga Drain as STAB Lilligant can dismantle teams out of sheer bulk and power...especially if you kept the Z move for later. HP Ice is chosen to hit Flying, Grass, and Dragon threats like Altaria and Bellossom. Lilligant also rounds out defensive synergy by double padding resists to Water and Ground. Last mon is Hitmonchan to add priority, removal, and more consistency via soft checking a ton of threats. Stone Edge is chosen so Hitmonchan can still hit Flying mons but also smash Froslass, offense's new favorite spinblocker. Assault Vest lets Hitmonchan reasonably tank a decent amount of special moves, and from there Hitmonchan works as a decent special tank that balances out bulk from Qwilfish and Aggron.
Aggron @ Chople Berry
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Head Smash

Jolly Nature
- Zing Zap
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Toxic

Qwilfish @ Rocky Helmet
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Waterfall
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave

Mesprit @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

Lilligant @ Grassium Z
Timid Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Rock]

EVs: 244 HP / 152 Atk / 112 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Stone Edge
- Rapid Spin

Last edited:

Dibs (Togedemaru) @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Encore
- Fake Out
- Toxic
- Zing Zap

HJAD (Mesprit) @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Psychic
- U-turn

Taskr (Regirock) @ Chople Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 184 Atk / 16 Def / 60 SpD
Impish Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Counter
- Stone Edge

Teddeh (Munchlax) @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Body Slam
- Curse
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

Dundies (Weezing) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Toxic Spikes

Yogibears (Shiftry) @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Knock Off
- Leaf Blade
- Rock Slide

Hi all! This is a neat team I used to top the ladder a bit ago and I think it's pretty neat ngl.
  • Togedemaru is a really nice pivot mon and is great at disrupting the opponents set-up mons and Volt Switch pivots. Encore and Toxic help mess up a lot of teams, especially when Rocks are up.
  • Mesprit is pretty much my main breaker, able to smack through most teams with its powerful base 105 special attack combined with choice specs. It is basically there to force switches and stuff.
  • Regirock is my Stealth Rocks setter and soft wall to most mons, especially with its rather rare counter chople set. It's also a nice check to primeape and gurdurr if weezing is down.
  • Munchlax is my premier special wall and is like borderline unkillable lol. No but seriously this thing can take special hits like they're nothing.
  • Weezing is mainly here to get chip damage on fighting types and to pivot into things like piloswine too. It also gives my team access to tspikes and taunt.
  • Finally I have my rather slow scarfer, but it does role compression quite well and also gives me a way to remove hazards.
If this team looks familiar, then good! Because it's basically one of my ORAS NU RMT's that's been slightly modified, boop!
Screenshot_20170909-031305.png

Last edited:

Kangaskhan @ Silk Scarf
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

Qwilfish @ Rocky Helmet
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Taunt
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes

Regirock @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Def / 204 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Protect

EVs: 208 HP / 252 Atk / 48 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- Rapid Spin

Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Revelation Dance
- Hurricane
- Substitute

Mesprit @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Trick
- Ice Beam
Basic Kangaskhan spikes offense. Hazards weaken opposing mons and allow Kanga to kill them off with double priority or net kills with Double-Edge or Earthquake if faster, given most normal resist can be easily chipped. To build kangaspikes you need spikes so i went with fast qwilfish, chose this over ferroseed because it fit more in an offensive archetype, had better synergy in general, and had the added benefice of tspikes which are extranice with fake out and further weakening enemy mons in general. I needed hazard removal to not get screwed over by opposing spikes but didnt want to use defog otherwise it would've been harder to keep my own hazards on the field so i decided to go with the best rapid spin user in the tier, Hitmonchan. Stealth Rock are mandatory, and Regirock is just a nice mon to just lead with most cases and get sr up early, also its my main answer to normal types, stuff like pyroar, and archeops. Qwilfish is a lackluster fighting type answer so i needed something else for that. Oricorio-Sensu is my second win con, can wallbreak rather easily with cm +z hurricane, provides me with another check for fighting and psychic-types and can also spinblock(also oricorio answers such as lanturn and regirock are weak to hazards). Lastly I needed a revengekiller and Mesprit was the optimal choice, it makes the matchup vs fighting types trivial, gives me momentum with u-turn, is naturally bulky so it can tank hits when it isnt able to directly KO something, and trick allows me to surprise stall / sableye.
this team is weak to some stuff such as sableye(you need to surprise it with trick mesprit or scare it away with oricorio and get up a sub, or pray the opponent doesnt lead with it and manage to set up tspikes with qwil) and floatzel / swanna (floatzel only with specs otherwise qwil pivots, anyways Hitmonchan Kanga and Mesprit can all tank a hit and retaliate pretty hard), and some other minor things that you can get around with smart play and hazard pressure(palossand). otherwise its a pretty solid team.

Taskr

Peng Ting
PU Leader

Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Toxic
- U-turn
- Zing Zap

Qwilfish @ Rocky Helmet
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Taunt
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes

Archeops
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Knock Off
- Earthquake

Palossand @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Earth Power
- Shore Up
- Stealth Rock
- Shadow Ball

Jynx @ Normalium Z
Ability: Dry Skin
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Nasty Plot
- Substitute
- Lovely Kiss

Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- Rapid Spin
- Drain Punch

Togedemaru is a really cool scarfer in this meta now due to it being able to outspeed Primeape and Jynx at +1 and also has a new move in Iron Head which is great in conjunction with Spikes and T-Spikes. The second member of this team is Qwilfish which provides the hazard support that allows this team to pressure otherwise defensive threats such as Sableye and Gastrodon. Archeops is one of the biggest offensive threats in the meta and naturally loves the hazard support from Qwilfish and Palossand, it is also great for improving my match-up against things like Kangaskhan and other threatening Normal-types like Zangoose. Palossand also got a buff in USUM in Stealth Rock which means it now has great role compression in being a good check to other Archeops, Spinblocking whilst also providing rocks. Sub Nasty Plot Z-Lovely Kiss Jynx is also a massive threat due to it being really hard to revenge kill and it can sweep a lot of teams without good measures. Lastly, Hitmonchan adds Rapid Spin support which the team appreciates and also provides a blanket check to Fire-types such as Pyroar and Magmortar.

Last edited:

Twix

this is thriller
is a Contributor Alumnus

Rocks Aggron Offense

This is a pretty standard Aggron team that utilizes common Pokemon such as Mesprit, Oricorio-S, Primeape, and Skuntank. Aggron is the team's rocker, which can also double as a strong physical attacker due to Heavy Slam and Head Smash. Fire Punch helps deal with Ferroseed and opposing Steel-types, which Shuca Berry can let it get rocks or a surprise kill against some Ground-types. Specs Mesprit works very well in weakening walls for Oricorio-S and luring in Spiritomb with Dazzling Gleam. Gastrodon is the main Water- and Electric-type check, which can both get pretty annoying, and has access to Toxic. Oricorio-S is the team's main sweeper and the Z move user, which appreciates walls being broken by other Pokemon. It also can function as a deterrent to Rapid Spin or Fighting-type moves, although it is a bit risky. Primeape is the team's main Speed control, as well as an effective pivot, while Skuntank is the answer to Toxic Spikes, can Defog, and has access to priority.

Aggron @ Shuca Berry
Adamant Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Fire Punch
- Head Smash
- Stealth Rock

Mesprit @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Healing Wish

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 52 Def / 208 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Recover
- Toxic

Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Revelation Dance
- Substitute
- Calm Mind

Primeape @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Skuntank @ Lum Berry
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Sucker Punch
- Poison Jab
- Defog

Many

my dog ate my teams
is a Tiering Contributor
Hail Balance

Aurorus @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Blizzard
- Freeze-Dry
- Earth Power
- Frost Breath

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off

Altaria @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Toxic
- Flamethrower
- Defog
- Roost

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Earth Power
- Scald
- Toxic
- Recover

Primeape @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Gunk Shot

There is no hail sample or even one with Aurorus/Sandslash, so I thought this was a good opportunity to drop what I felt was a solid and easy-to-use team. This team revolves around an offense hail core of Specs Aurorus + SD Icium Z Sandslash. Aurorus is a wallbreaker and clicks Blizzard, making things die. Sandslash takes opportunities of the holes it punches through Ice-resists and uses that to clean up under Hail. Jolly is run here to be able to revenge kill +1 Jynx in Hail, although it can make it a little weak at times. Gastrodon and Altaria form the defensive core that is there to buffer the ice-type mons from attacks. Altaria is one of the best Fire-resists in the tier, which is of course helpful when you have two Ice-types, and it also is able to switch into Close Combat if necessary. Gastrodon is a catch-all physical tank that helps against the like of Skuntank and Archeops, and adds an additional buffer to Fire-type attacks. Mesprit was chosen as the Stealth Rock setter which shouldn't need to much explanation. Dazzling Gleam is there to annoy Spiritomb, and Colbur as usual helps with tanking Dark-type moves, while Knock Off helps with Clefairy who the team may struggle with, while helping a bit against Aguav Spiritomb and Ferroseed. The moveset for Mesprit is highly flexible and can be changed to suit your teams' needs (for example, running HP Fire for Ferroseed or Healing Wish). Choice Scarf Primeape is the final pokemon, functioning as a solid speed control that can revenge kill pokemon like +1 Lilligant and slower Scarf Pokemon. Using Scarf Passimian is also an option of course, but I think this team prefers the extra speed control. Either way, the U-turn fighting-type pairs very well with Aurorus as a U-turn on stuff like Spiritomb and Palossand will often give Aurorus a free Blizzard. This team is weak to Passimian, although it can be played around with the speed control and soft Fighting-resists, and being a Hail team there is not too much that can be done about that (until it is possibly banned).

gz

formerly GenZeon
Standard Gurdurr Bulky Offense

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch

Quiet Nature
- Volt Switch
- Giga Drain
- Flamethrower
- Knock Off

Palossand @ Colbur Berry
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Shadow Ball
- Shore Up

Pyroar @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Flamethrower

Mesprit @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Healing Wish
- Trick

Skuntank @ Darkinium Z
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Sucker Punch
- Poison Jab
- Defog

This team, which is build around one of the most scariest setup mons in Gurdurr, resembles the current meta fairly well. Bulky BO Gurdurr tanks physical hits for days and is always an annoying mon to face. AV Eelektross is a great partner for Gurdurr because it checks common threats like Mesprit, Swanna and Oricorio pretty well while forcing your opponent constantly in 50/50s. Palossand is not only the rocker, but also the physical wall on the team. Palo is crucial on this team cause it reliably beats fighting types, but also other problematic mons like Archeops. Specs Pyroar was chosen next for it's sheer wallbreaking capabilies. Honestly this mon has no switchins and paired with Knock Off support for Clefairy + 2 fighting resists, this thing is a horror to face for most BO teams. Last but not least, the team lacked some speed so Choice Scarf Support Mesprit was chosen. Without Altaria, there isn't really any need for Ice Beam anymore, so HW + Trick is a cool combo, because it annoys the ever-so-popular Clefairy+Ferroseed core but also gives mons without reliable recovery like Eelektross and Gurdurr a second life. Skuntank doesn't really need any explanations at all. Pairs superb with Mesprit, has the needed hazard removal and also is a nice priority user, while also improving the Clefairy matchup.

Megazard

The Piranha Plant of Super Staff Bros
is a member of the Site Staffis an official Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator
PU Leader
Standard Gurdurr Bulky Offense

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch

Quiet Nature
- Volt Switch
- Giga Drain
- Flamethrower
- Knock Off

Palossand @ Colbur Berry
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Shadow Ball
- Shore Up

Pyroar @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Flamethrower

Mesprit @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Healing Wish
- Trick

Skuntank @ Darkinium Z
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Sucker Punch
- Poison Jab
- Defog

This one has been added to samples. Thanks everybody for all the submissions so far, keep them coming!

Megazard

The Piranha Plant of Super Staff Bros
is a member of the Site Staffis an official Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator
PU Leader
While we do appreciate people trying to submit samples, two things to note. First, tier shifts are coming very soon so there is a strong likelihood of any teams posted becoming outdated very soon. Secondly, we tend to not include fairly niche play styles that suffer from natural weaknesses. Things like webs and screens aren’t terribly good and generally not worth posting as a resource for new players or representation of the meta at the moment.

Akir

A true villain!
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Aggron Offense

Aggron_XY.gif
Pyroar_XY.gif
Qwilfish_XY.gif
Mesprit_XY.gif
Lilligant_XY.gif
Hitmonchan_XY.gif

Aggron @ Chople Berry
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Head Smash

Pyroar @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Toxic

Qwilfish @ Rocky Helmet
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Waterfall
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave

Mesprit @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

Lilligant @ Grassium Z
Timid Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Rock]

EVs: 244 HP / 152 Atk / 112 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Stone Edge
- Rapid Spin

This team is an offense team with a pretty big focus on defensive synergy. Almost bulky offense but benefits massively from good play and momentum with lots of options to create both without relying on either.
  • Aggron is Offensive Stealth Rocker with Taunt. Jolly is chosen to outspeed Aurorus and Lanturn. Good defenses and access to Taunt means that it can reasonably stallbreak while adding a lot of defensive utility. Also takes Normal moves like a champ and is in general very difficult to switch in on, even without a damage boosting item. Choptle is chosen as the item to ease the Fighting matchup and help beat Scyther/Kangaskhan.
  • Pyroar is the Choice Scarf revenge killer with STABs, HP Grass coverage, and Toxic to punish common switchins like Regirock and Lanturn. Very straightforward, just bring it in and nuke.
  • Qwilfish works overtime as the defensive backbone of the team, checking huge threats like Kingler, Scyther, Hitmonchan, and more. Spikes add pressure to the opponent, and Thunder Wave is key for the team because it is fairly slow and a paralyzed Agility Kingler is a huge win for the team. Taunt and max Speed is there to outspeed Skuntank and Taunt before it can get the Defog off. Rocky Helmet is chosen to punish U-Turn users, Fighting-types, and Rapid Spin.
  • Mesprit is a Choice Specs wallbreaker that adds a ton of options to the team. Each time Mesprit is out, it can choose between getting switch priority with U-Turn, nuking with Psychic/Dazzling Gleam, or reviving a partner with Healing Wish. Mesprit also adds a lot of defensive synergy as well, dodging Ground moves and double padding the Fighting answers.
  • Lilligant is the sweeper for the team, utilizing Quiver Dance and Z-Sleep Powder to do so. Sleep Powder puts threats to sleep, and sleep = death more often than not, with Z Sleep Powder giving Lilligant a free +1 Speed. Quiver Dance is crazy good, and with Giga Drain as STAB Lilligant can dismantle teams out of sheer bulk and power...especially if you kept the Z move for later. HP Rock is chosen to hit Flying and Fire mons like Altaria and Pyroar. Lilligant also rounds out defensive synergy by double padding resists to Water and Ground.
  • Last mon is Hitmonchan to add priority, removal, and more consistency via soft checking a ton of threats. Stone Edge is chosen so Hitmonchan can still hit Flying mons but also smash Froslass, offense's new favorite spinblocker. Assault Vest lets Hitmonchan reasonably tank a decent amount of special moves, and from there Hitmonchan works as a decent special tank that balances out bulk from Qwilfish and Aggron.
  • Aggron is pretty set-in-stone but you can swap out the berry for Shuca if you want more padding against Ground moves. Leftovers can also work for some sweet passive healing, but then you can't bluff a Choice Band.
  • Pyroar can have Flamethrower as the fourth move if you don't want to rely on Fire Blast, but Fire Blast is necessary. The drop in power from replacing Fire Blast with Flamethrower is felt greatly.
  • Qwilfish is actually very customizable. Leftovers/Black Sludge work over Rocky Helmet to increase longevity. Scald is good over Waterfall if you want to burn things (just be careful not to burn something you want paralyzed, and vice versa). You can also replace Thunder Wave with Destiny Bond to take something down with you, but honestly...a paralyzed Kingler is such a win in this metagame. You can also just swap out Qwilfish with Froslass and try that out, but that will get tons better if Kingler ever leaves. Can also use Toxic Spikes over regular Spikes, but those are a lot more matchup-reliant so I won't recommend them on a sample like this.
  • Mesprit can run Ice Beam over either Dazzling Gleam or Healing Wish, but honestly that set is pretty optimized for the team.
  • You can actually just replace Lilligant with Bellossom and get similar results, but that slows down the team immensely. HP Ice can also work over HP Rock to hit Grasses, but the team would much rather beat Fires in my opinion.
  • Hitmonchan can run Ice Punch over Stone Edge if you don't like missing, but then Froslass beats you to a pulp. Don't be a wimp and use Rock Slide either.

Overall this team reflects my philosophy when it comes to what constitutes a good sample team. It is:
  1. Extremely generic. A large portion of people will get their first impressions of "proper" PU teams from the samples, so it needs to be as accurate of a standard representation as possible.
  2. Easy to use. This team can be picked up by anyone and, without explanation, succeed with it.
  3. Consistent. This team has offense and defensive synergy layered on top of one another. Losing 1 or 2 mons is not the death knell of this team, so it is forgiving to newer players making mistakes.
  4. High quality. This team properly addresses the current metagame and makes the most out of it, metagaming and antimetagaming where needed to gain as much of an edge as possible.

Well that was an essay. Nice. Enjoy the team!

Last edited:

Taskr

Peng Ting
PU Leader
Okay so just to update you guys on a few things. The above team made by Akir has been accepted as a sample. Also rejected sample team posts may be deleted, this is due to confusion among newer users as to which teams are accepted as sample teams. I have moved a couple of teams to Squad Dump instead since although they weren't right for sample teams, they can function decently in the meta and quite a bit of effort had been put in to the posts.
The meta changed quite a bit since the last update, so as from now we will be looking for some more good quality teams that work well in the new metagame to add here and we appreciate each team that gets submitted! If you're looking for a good criteria as to what makes a high quality sample team, see the above post by Akir for some inspiration.

Double Removal SD Scyther Bulky Offense

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 204 Def / 36 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch

Type: Null @ Eviolite
Ability: Battle Armor
Careful Nature
- Frustration
- U-turn
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Kabutops @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Swift Swim
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Stone Edge
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off

Rotom-Frost @ Icium Z
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Blizzard
- Defog
- Will-O-Wisp

Scyther @ Eviolite
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
- Aerial Ace
- Swords Dance
- U-turn
- Roost

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 176 HP / 252 Def / 80 Spe
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Healing Wish

This a bulky offensive team that I used in my win of the finals of PUPL built around giving Bulky SD Scyther all the support it needs to be successful while also creating a strong volturn core. The team started with the core of Gurdurr + Scyther because of Gurdurr's unparalleled ability to check and pressure every Scyther check in the tier and how well they can break down defensive teams together. Defog Rotom was added since Scyther obviously needs good removal in order to mitigate its crippling Stealth Rocks weakness. Rotom can do this while being a soft check to Aurorus and Snowslash which both force out Scyther while also keeping up momentum and offensive pressure via Volt Switch. Defensive Mesprit was added for rocks, the primary fighting check so Scyther doesn't have to, slow Uturn to keep up the voltturn vortex even more, and Healing Wish support for Gurdurr and Scyther. Type: Null completes the defensive backbone as a catch all special wall to especially threatening breakers like Pyroar, Aurorus, Omastar, and Lilligant thanks to it's ungodly bulk. It can do this while still keeping up momentum with slow Uturn. Kabutops was added as the team's speed control. Because Type Null can more or less pretty comfortably deal with Omastar, Lilligant, and Z Kiss Jynx (the biggest reasons to run a fast scarfer) I'm free to choose a slow scarfer if I want. Kabutops gives me added insurance against Pyroar which can potentially break through Type: Null as well as a solid Flying resist to take on the likes of Oricorio and Scyther. Crucially, it also gives the team a second form of hazard removal to further support Scyther.

Max Speed lets you outspeed a large portion of the unboosted metagame and either setup on them or Uturn out of unfavorable matchups. Max Hp paired with Eviolite makes Scyther incredibly tanky and lets it wall things like Skuntank and even Kangaskhan. Aerial Ace is used over Wing Attack because of Snow Cloak Froslass and Contrary Servine + Lurantis after theyve come in on a Defog. While uncommon, 100% hitting these will probably come into play more often than you need the extra PP of Wing Attack.
The bulkier than standard spread here is in order to more easily take on Snowslash, Togedemaru, Aggron, etc. that threaten Scyther a lot. 204 Def specifically lets it live 2 Returns from Banded Stoutland. 16 Attack with an Adamant nature ensures Gurdurr still at least hits decently hard. Rest of the Evs are dumped into Spdef to help a bit vs the likes of Aurorus. 4 Speed might let you cheese vs other Gurdurr.
Icium + Blizzard as well as Wisp lets Rotom properly pressure the rock setters it needs to like Defensive Mesprit and Regirock. This allows you to put your opponent's rocker out of commission by surprise early and get rocks off sooner to enable Scyther. Volt over Tbolt just to maintain the voltturn theme.
Healing Wish is always a good option on Defensive Mesprit, but it's especially great when paired with Scyther and Gurdurr who are two of the best recipients of it in the tier. 80 speed is credit to Taskr I think but it allows outspeed Aurorus without sacrificing much bulk.
Max bulk is needed in order to take on all the special threats as best it can. Frustration is needed to actually hit these guys for respectable damage and Uturn gives you slow pivots for getting your offensive mons in safely. Rest and Sleep Talk are needed to keep Null healthy otherwise it gets worn down quite quick by residual damage.
Stone Edge and Liquidation are your main STABs. Rapid Spin lets Kabutops get off emergency spins to help Scyther. Superpower isn't really needed anymore with Ferroseed gone, so Knock Off is the next best option which can annoy common switch ins like Tangela and Gurdurr. Adamant over Jolly since the added damage output comes into play a whole lot more often than outspeeding a few mons.

curiosity

curi was here
is a Pre-Contributor

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

Skuntank (M) @ Black Sludge
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Poison Jab

Dodrio (M) @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Early Bird
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Return
- Jump Kick

Togedemaru (M) @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Zing Zap
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Toxic

Jellicent (M) @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Def / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Hex
- Recover
- Scald

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 216 Def
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Bulk Up

This is a bulky offence team that I used to experiment with Dodrio when the new drops were released, built around SD Flyinium Dodrio and providing it with the proper support it requires, which includes hazard control and a Regirock check or a secondary breaker that heavily pressures certain physical walls, with the most notable example being Regirock, which would otherwise invalidate it. Skuntank happened to fulfil many of the required roles, in addition to pressuring many of Dodrio's defensive checks, including Mesprit, Sableye and the aforementioned Regirock, which it traps and fears with a poison respectively. It also threatens many of Dodrio's offensive checks, trapping the likes of Froslass, Haunter and Alolan Raichu, which is especially notable, as this build struggles dealing with the latter defensively. Mesprit provides the team with hazards support, while also providing the build with a general blanket check versus problematic threats, including Gurdurr, Togedemaru and Qwilfish, in addition to invaluable Healing Wish support, which allows the team to be played more aggressively in general. Togedemaru provides this team with speed control, while improving the team's matchup versus Scyther, opposing Dodrio, Froslass and Lycanroc lacking sucker punch. Togedemaru also forms a very potent Voltturn core with Mesprit, which allows nearly everything to come in without much repercussion, which is especially useful in the offence matchup. Jellicent was added for a multitude of reasons - for one, it improved the team's matchup versus Aggron, as the following spread outpaces Jolly Aggron, while maximising bulk to improve the matchup versus prominent breakers such as Qwilfish, Swanna, Sandslash and Hitmonchan. Jellicent also gave the team a competent stallbreaker, allowing this build to easily bypass stall, in addition to improving the build's matchup versus rain. Finally, last mon Gurdurr gave this team priority, a reliable method to deal with Aggron, defensive Jellicent and Aurorus, while providing this team with a second form of priority.

I'd also like to thank 2xTheTap and yogi for the Jellicent set and the Gurdurr spread respectively. Sorry if this was somewhat lacklustre, but it's really late at night.

Last edited:

Funbot28

Breaking hearts since '09
is a Pre-Contributor
hmm some offense, someone's gotta combat that....

Skunktank Stall
Articuno @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 204 SpD / 56 Spe
Calm Nature
- Roost
- Freeze-Dry
- Toxic
- Defog

Altaria @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Haze
- Dragon Pulse

Audino @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Knock Off
- Heal Bell

Bronzor @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Bold Nature
- Psywave
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Rest

Quagsire @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Unaware
Impish Nature
- Curse
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Recover

Skuntank @ Darkinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Poison Jab

So I have noticed the thread lacked some stall teams even after the drop of Quagsire which is quite astonishing for me as I feel the blue blob has brought the playstyle some viability oncemore. Both Articuno and Altaria form the reliable entry hazard removal core which can be extremely important in this Spikes infested metagame. Articuno is great in checking most special attackers ranging from Mesprit, Lilligant, Oricorio-G, Jellicent, and offensive Froslass. It also provides the team useful Pressure support which can be great in counteracting certain anti-stall measures like Taunt users, status spreaders and of course entry hazards, applying pressure on the opponent from clicking these moves. It also has enough speed to outspeed Modest Jellicent which is extremely important. Altaria acts as the main Fighting resist of the team, checking threats such ass Gurdurr, Hitmonchan, and Primeape and and is also great in absorbing annoying status. Audino is the cleric and almost mandatory special sponge for any stall team due to how well it can support via Wish and Knock Off support in tandem with its great special bulk and Regenerator, enabling more pro-active plays for such as passive playstyle. Bronzor is the Steel-type and SR user of the team, checking the likes of Aggron, Kangaskhan, Stoutland, Lilligant, Jynx and Alolan Sandslash. Quagsire is the setup sweeper check and also provides the team a reliable wincon through Curse which can be great in breaking through things its intended to check such as Gurdurr, Dodrio, and Lycanroc. Also having another Band Head Smash swichin helps, while Rocky Helmet helps chip pivot users, wearing down the likes of Togedemaru and Primeape immensely. Lastly, we have offensive Z-Move Skuntank (which previously was a CroTomb) to help offensively check some dangerous stuff like Jellicent, CM / Specs Mesprit, Lilligant, CM Clefairy and Froslass. It cannot be stressed enough how great Pursuit can be at times for defensive teams like these to disrupt the aforementioned threats from going out of hands if Skunk's teammates have been worn down. Like I said, Crotomb can be run to have a secondary Fighting check and another wincon, but I have been liking this combination of the build due to balanced move called Pursuit.

Threats to the team include: Taunt Jellicent, Specs Aurorus, Grass Knot Alolan-Raichu, and HP Grass Omastar

S/O to both yogi and allstarapology for reviewing team

ok since people are posting teams i thought i'd post one that i've adapted and tested a lot recently

Persian-Alola @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Fur Coat
Jolly Nature
- Foul Play
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Parting Shot

Jellicent @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Water Spout
- Hydro Pump
- Shadow Ball
- Ice Beam

Raichu-Alola @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Psyshock
- Grass Knot
- Nasty Plot

Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Zing Zap
- Iron Head
- Toxic

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 Spe
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Ground]

EVs: 248 HP / 132 Atk / 128 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Mach Punch
- Rapid Spin

Hjad originally built a team similar to this for our pu ghosting tour match, and after like a serious amount of testing i started to edit a few things. the original team was overall quite weak to flying-types so i edited it to have a faster choice scarf user while also doubling down on electric-types. Alolan Persian is a fantastic pivot in the current meta and i'm so glad people are picking up on that, as its ability to threaten the millions of strong physical sweepers, like dodrio and lycanroc, while also providing taunt + toxic + parting shot support is just so good. Specs jellicent really doesn't need any explanation, it's just a stupidly good breaker and basically makes my stall mu 10x better just by existing. Alolan raichu rounds out the strong breaker core by just messing up basically every specially defensive wall, like lanturn and hitmonchan, but it also means i don't get wrecked by shit eviolite scyther. Togedemaru is the best choice scarfer in the tier and, like with jellicent, doesn't need much explanation; it basically revenges shit and keeps flying-types in check, while also soft checking stuff like kangaskhan and lycanroc. Mesprit with hidden power ground and enough speed to creep jolly aggron just makes my match up versus aggron and skuntank way more manageable. Finally hitmonchan is here to blanket check special attackers and spin, but the priority can also be nice and it stop stuff like special skuntank getting too dumb.

I'm posting because i'm a whore.

Taskr

Peng Ting
PU Leader
Thank you to everyone who submitted Sample Teams for review, after some discussion with the Council we have decided which ones to accept so congratulations of yours has been accepted. Unfortunately we can't accept all the sample teams posted, the ones that weren't accepted have been moved to PU Squad Dump because we still appreciate the effort put into the posts and they are all still usable teams for the most part. If you have any questions or queries as to why yours wasn't accepted feel free to hit me up on Discord or PS. There's still room for a couple more maybe so keep posting!

Hail, with Support
by: Bag of Trixx

Kadabra @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Future Sight
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball

Aurorus @ Choice Specs
EVs: 24 HP / 252 SpA / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Earth Power
- Freeze-Dry
- Sleep Talk

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 132 Atk / 40 Def / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch
- Bulk Up

Adamant Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

Stunfisk @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Static
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Def / 88 SpA
Bold Nature
- Earth Power
- Pain Split
- Stealth Rock
- Discharge

Oricorio-Sensu @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 240 HP / 12 Def / 168 SpA / 88 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Defog
- Toxic

So, I decided to post one of my teams that I have been working on for quite some time now. The reason I am posting this team is because I feel there is a lack of respect for one of the most played styles in PU meta listed here in the sample teams, and newer players who are using said sample teams should be able to experience this type of team: a weather-based team. Weather is of paramount importance for the PU tier not just for newer players to study but for veterans to always keep an eye out for, as they will certainly ruin your day if you are not familiar or prepared for the weather match-up.

I decided that the weather-based team I would list for you today is none other than hail, and the reason I chose hail is because personally, I am most comfortable playing hail over the other weathers but also the fact that hail is certainly the most unique of the weathers because one does not need to fully dedicate their team to hail-abusers in order for hail to be successful. Usually one can get by with just running Sandslash-Alola AKA "Snowslash" and either scarf/specs Aurorus as the only pokemon to make use of the hail and the team will do just fine. So, I built the team around these two pokemon specifically so that way I can run hail, with support, per-say.

That is exactly what this type of team implies; hail with support. All of the pokemon on the team allow hail to further achieve its goal in either denting the opponent's team or just chipping away with hail damage alongside Specs Blizzard.

***Apologies for the lengthy post***
Team Breakdown
Kadabra is used on this hail team as a way to break through mons which hail abusers do not fare too well against, mainly fighting-types such as Gurdurr and Hitmonchan. Focus Sash is used wisely with Kadabra as it guarantees a 1hp live, because of Magic Guard. Kadabra is also a prominent threat on hail teams because it does not take damage to hail, because of its amazing ability. Timid with 252 Speed and Special Attack allow you to capitalize on your speed, in case you need to preserve your Sash. Future Sight is selected for Kadabra because it allows for a last-ditch effort to obliterate whatever is in its path, so long as it does not resist or is immune. Calm Mind or the more gimmicky option in Counter are also alternative options if you believe you could sweep your opponent once priority users have been removed from the battle or the need of dealing with a pesky physical attacker that your team simply cannot handle. Psychic is the main form of STAB for this mon, allowing you to dent mons like Gurdurr, Hitmonchan, Qwilfish, anything that does not resist, and allows for overall amazing damage coming from a base 120 special attack. Shadow Ball gives us a form of damage against mons such as Mesprit, since they usually carry a Dark-Resist Berry. Energy Ball is the final option because it hurts bulky waters which frequently check hail abusers. Such as Lanturn, Quagsire, Silvally-Water, Jellicent (Shadow Ball also is a good option against this particular mon).

Choice Specs on Aurorus is always the preferred item because Specs Blizzard typically kills whatever is in its path, regardless of neutrality or super-effective damage. Snow Warning is obviously the preferred ability as it sets up hail automatically. Although Blizzard is the main move being clicked with this mon, Earth Power is a solid choice because it allows you to hit mons that resist Ice, such as Lanturn, Sandslash-Alola, and all Fire types. Freeze-Dry is required because it is a STAB move which smacks bulky waters which check hail abusers (listed above in Kadabra's description) since Freeze-Dry is super-effective against water types. Finally, Sleep Talk is the last move as this allows Aurorus to be a sleep-absorber if the situation cannot be avoided. With Timid 232 Speed, you will always outspeed base 55 mons even with the boosted nature, and still have the full damage needed for Blizzard to do its thing. The final EVs are thrown into HP because they allow Aurorus to live some very unique circumstances, such as becoming a 3HKO from defensive Jellicent's Scald or bulky pivot AV Lanturn's Scald before Rocks, and always 2HKOing with Specs Freeze-Dry.

Gurdurr is the setup wallbreaker for the team. With Bulk Up boosting those Attack and Defense Stats, Gurdurr can become quite the powerhouse hail needs, as hail is never a fully-dedicated team. With Drain Punch as its main form of STAB and recovery, this move being boosted is always the preferred damage outlet. Knock Off is good coverage as it removes those pesky Leftovers tankmons which physical attackers do not appreciate, and it allows Gurdurr to hit Psychic and Ghost types for super-effective damage, even though they usually carry Colbur Berries. Mach Punch is the final attacking move because it allows a form of STAB priority which cripples opposing sweepers and especially, hail teams. Gurdurr can usually beat a hail team by itself, because of Mach Punch. Guts is the preferred ability because it does not care about being burned. With 132 Attack EVs, Drain Punch will always kill Skuntank alongside a Bulk Up boost and Mach Punch following, and still allows us to tank hits because we can invest into bulk. 248 HP just so we hit an odd number for rocks. 88 Speed may seem random, but it allows Gurdurr to always outspeed speedy Probopass before it gets a Volt Switch off, and kill with Drain Punch. The last EVs are thrown into Defense, allowing this to soak hits from Aggron, which is another good check to hail teams.

Sandslash-Alola aka Snowslash is the main abuser of hail, because of its fantastic coverage and offensive STAB. With Slush Rush, our speed is doubled under hail, so we can run Adamant nature to maximize damage output. Icicle Crash with Icium Z is preferred because it is a hard-hitting beast of a move which usually allows for a 2HKO on anything neutral. Iron Head is the other form of STAB because it allows for another form of consistent damage against bulky fairies such as Clefairy and Silvally-Fairy (although Icicle Crash and Z-Icicle Crash are just as fine). Earthquake allows Sandslash to kill Aggron and Probopass as well as hurt Lanturn. Swords Dance is the final move because Snowslash under hail usually causes a switch, giving you an immediate +2 and a couple kills in the process.

Stunfisk is the trump card of defensive pivots for this team, as it always catches teams by surprise. Even though this flounder is never on teams, it has a few niches which allow it to become quite the pain for many teams. The Ground/Electric STAB is amazing, allowing it to resist BOTH of Aggron's STAB attacks, punish physical mons with Rocky Helmet and potentially Static, which benefits the slower mons we have on this team. Earth Power is the first form of coverage, being its strongest attacking move. Discharge is necessary because again, paralysis is important for crippling the mons which outspeed our naturally slower mons like Snowslash before hail, and potentially making Kadabra more potent. Stealth Rock is our hazard of choice because rocks ensure some 3HKO's into 2HKO's and chipping at our opponent is clutch. It can also force a Defog from something like Skuntank, and we can backfire with a kill in Earth Power. Pain Split is our form of recovery, since we cannot benefit from Leftovers. This also helps do a little damage to unsuspecting pivots which may try to Toxic Stunfisk on their switch-in. 168 HP EVs allow Stunfisk to hit 401 HP, for rocks calcs. Max Defense allows for the most use of Static + Rocky Helmet, and 88 Special Attack just to help Earth Power do a little more. This allows for an OHKO on offensive opposing Snowslash after rocks, a minor chance to OHKO Skuntank after rocks, and a guaranteed OHKO after rocks on Dodrio, Scyther, and Aggron.

I decided to swap the "FatSu" EV spread with a more offensive variant for more damage output, and replace Calm Mind with Toxic for the cases of wear-and-tear on our opponents' walls which cripple this mon, mainly Regirock and Mudsdale. Colbur is listed instead of its Rocky Helmet because we are sacrificing some bulk in exchange for power, but still need to live hits from Gurdurr's Knock Off. Dancer is usually an irrelevant ability, but can potentially help against Lilligant or Bellossom. Hurricane is the only attacking move because it is the highest damage Sensu can release, whilst keeping our defensive capabilities. Roost is for longevity, Defog is for removing Spikes, which cripple our hail abusers, and Toxic is the final move for wearing down walls. The EV spread is the same as "FatSu," but instead of defense, it is thrown into Special Attack. The 168 Special Attack EVs ensure a potential chance to OHKO Bellossom after Stealth Rocks, 2HKO Quagsire after rocks, and a high chance to 2HKO without rocks, and to 2HKO Weezing after rocks.

Weaknesses
-Major weaknesses to using hail are simply losing hail. Without hail, Snowslash cannot do what it is meant to do, because there is no speed for it to sweep. Without hail, there is a lack of chip damage on opposing pokemon which can potentially matter in a longer gamestate. Another weakness to losing hail would be your opponent may benefit because of their own weather being in play. Be wary of Aurorus' health, as changing the weather is crucial for sustainability.

-Water types. Water type mons are detrimental against hail because there is no water resist on this team. This is why the team comes prepared with techs such as Energy Ball from Kadabra, Freeze-Dry from Aurorus, Toxic on Sensu for bulky wear-down, Discharge on Stunfisk, and even potentially Future Sight for a last-ditch effort against a bulky water that walls the team. To potentially combat this, Poliwrath can be an option over Gurdurr because of its Water Absorb ability, as well as phazing and dual resistances to Aggron's STABs, but the loss of setup is a major drawback.

-Fighting types. Gurdurr and Hitmonchan can pretty much effortlessly 6-0 an unprepared or weakened hail team. This is why pokemon like Sensu, rocky helmet Stunfisk, and Sash Kadabra are on this team. They help a long way with dealing with this huge weakness.

-Hazard Stacking teams. Spikes are a pain for hail. Both of our hail-abusers are weak to Spikes, so the implementation of a pokemon who is immune to Spikes and can Defog and Spin-block are absolutely vital factors for using hail. Sensu is the best defogger for any hail team.

Final Disclaimer

Regardless if my team (which I did climb the ranks in PU ladder with this exact team) does not get chosen for a Sample Team, I do still firmly believe that weather-based teams need to be reviewed for additions to the Sample Team suggestions, as they are some of the founding teams of PU, and are worthy of being recognized by all players; straight out the gate or showdown veterans.

-Bag of Trixx

Last edited:

Ktütverde

Always turning thoughts into things
is a Tiering Contributor
Hail, with Support
by: Bag of Trixx

Kadabra @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Future Sight
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball

Aurorus @ Choice Specs
EVs: 24 HP / 252 SpA / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Earth Power
- Freeze-Dry
- Sleep Talk

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 132 Atk / 40 Def / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch
- Bulk Up

Adamant Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

Stunfisk @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Static
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Def / 88 SpA
Bold Nature
- Earth Power
- Pain Split
- Stealth Rock
- Discharge

Oricorio-Sensu @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 240 HP / 12 Def / 168 SpA / 88 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Defog
- Toxic

So, I decided to post one of my teams that I have been working on for quite some time now. The reason I am posting this team is because I feel there is a lack of respect for one of the most played styles in PU meta listed here in the sample teams, and newer players who are using said sample teams should be able to experience this type of team: a weather-based team. Weather is of paramount importance for the PU tier not just for newer players to study but for veterans to always keep an eye out for, as they will certainly ruin your day if you are not familiar or prepared for the weather match-up.

I decided that the weather-based team I would list for you today is none other than hail, and the reason I chose hail is because personally, I am most comfortable playing hail over the other weathers but also the fact that hail is certainly the most unique of the weathers because one does not need to fully dedicate their team to hail-abusers in order for hail to be successful. Usually one can get by with just running Sandslash-Alola AKA "Snowslash" and either scarf/specs Aurorus as the only pokemon to make use of the hail and the team will do just fine. So, I built the team around these two pokemon specifically so that way I can run hail, with support, per-say.

That is exactly what this type of team implies; hail with support. All of the pokemon on the team allow hail to further achieve its goal in either denting the opponent's team or just chipping away with hail damage alongside Specs Blizzard.

***Apologies for the lengthy post***
Team Breakdown
Kadabra is used on this hail team as a way to break through mons which hail abusers do not fare too well against, mainly fighting-types such as Gurdurr and Hitmonchan. Focus Sash is used wisely with Kadabra as it guarantees a 1hp live, because of Magic Guard. Kadabra is also a prominent threat on hail teams because it does not take damage to hail, because of its amazing ability. Timid with 252 Speed and Special Attack allow you to capitalize on your speed, in case you need to preserve your Sash. Future Sight is selected for Kadabra because it allows for a last-ditch effort to obliterate whatever is in its path, so long as it does not resist or is immune. Calm Mind or the more gimmicky option in Counter are also alternative options if you believe you could sweep your opponent once priority users have been removed from the battle or the need of dealing with a pesky physical attacker that your team simply cannot handle. Psychic is the main form of STAB for this mon, allowing you to dent mons like Gurdurr, Hitmonchan, Qwilfish, anything that does not resist, and allows for overall amazing damage coming from a base 120 special attack. Shadow Ball gives us a form of damage against mons such as Mesprit, since they usually carry a Dark-Resist Berry. Energy Ball is the final option because it hurts bulky waters which frequently check hail abusers. Such as Lanturn, Quagsire, Silvally-Water, Jellicent (Shadow Ball also is a good option against this particular mon).

Choice Specs on Aurorus is always the preferred item because Specs Blizzard typically kills whatever is in its path, regardless of neutrality or super-effective damage. Snow Warning is obviously the preferred ability as it sets up hail automatically. Although Blizzard is the main move being clicked with this mon, Earth Power is a solid choice because it allows you to hit mons that resist Ice, such as Lanturn, Sandslash-Alola, and all Fire types. Freeze-Dry is required because it is a STAB move which smacks bulky waters which check hail abusers (listed above in Kadabra's description) since Freeze-Dry is super-effective against water types. Finally, Sleep Talk is the last move as this allows Aurorus to be a sleep-absorber if the situation cannot be avoided. With Timid 232 Speed, you will always outspeed base 55 mons even with the boosted nature, and still have the full damage needed for Blizzard to do its thing. The final EVs are thrown into HP because they allow Aurorus to live some very unique circumstances, such as becoming a 3HKO from defensive Jellicent's Scald or bulky pivot AV Lanturn's Scald before Rocks, and always 2HKOing with Specs Freeze-Dry.

Gurdurr is the setup wallbreaker for the team. With Bulk Up boosting those Attack and Defense Stats, Gurdurr can become quite the powerhouse hail needs, as hail is never a fully-dedicated team. With Drain Punch as its main form of STAB and recovery, this move being boosted is always the preferred damage outlet. Knock Off is good coverage as it removes those pesky Leftovers tankmons which physical attackers do not appreciate, and it allows Gurdurr to hit Psychic and Ghost types for super-effective damage, even though they usually carry Colbur Berries. Mach Punch is the final attacking move because it allows a form of STAB priority which cripples opposing sweepers and especially, hail teams. Gurdurr can usually beat a hail team by itself, because of Mach Punch. Guts is the preferred ability because it does not care about being burned. With 132 Attack EVs, Drain Punch will always kill Skuntank alongside a Bulk Up boost and Mach Punch following, and still allows us to tank hits because we can invest into bulk. 248 HP just so we hit an odd number for rocks. 88 Speed may seem random, but it allows Gurdurr to always outspeed speedy Probopass before it gets a Volt Switch off, and kill with Drain Punch. The last EVs are thrown into Defense, allowing this to soak hits from Aggron, which is another good check to hail teams.

Sandslash-Alola aka Snowslash is the main abuser of hail, because of its fantastic coverage and offensive STAB. With Slush Rush, our speed is doubled under hail, so we can run Adamant nature to maximize damage output. Icicle Crash with Icium Z is preferred because it is a hard-hitting beast of a move which usually allows for a 2HKO on anything neutral. Iron Head is the other form of STAB because it allows for another form of consistent damage against bulky fairies such as Clefairy and Silvally-Fairy (although Icicle Crash and Z-Icicle Crash are just as fine). Earthquake allows Sandslash to kill Aggron and Probopass as well as hurt Lanturn. Swords Dance is the final move because Snowslash under hail usually causes a switch, giving you an immediate +2 and a couple kills in the process.

Stunfisk is the trump card of defensive pivots for this team, as it always catches teams by surprise. Even though this flounder is never on teams, it has a few niches which allow it to become quite the pain for many teams. The Ground/Electric STAB is amazing, allowing it to resist BOTH of Aggron's STAB attacks, punish physical mons with Rocky Helmet and potentially Static, which benefits the slower mons we have on this team. Earth Power is the first form of coverage, being its strongest attacking move. Discharge is necessary because again, paralysis is important for crippling the mons which outspeed our naturally slower mons like Snowslash before hail, and potentially making Kadabra more potent. Stealth Rock is our hazard of choice because rocks ensure some 3HKO's into 2HKO's and chipping at our opponent is clutch. It can also force a Defog from something like Skuntank, and we can backfire with a kill in Earth Power. Pain Split is our form of recovery, since we cannot benefit from Leftovers. This also helps do a little damage to unsuspecting pivots which may try to Toxic Stunfisk on their switch-in. 168 HP EVs allow Stunfisk to hit 401 HP, for rocks calcs. Max Defense allows for the most use of Static + Rocky Helmet, and 88 Special Attack just to help Earth Power do a little more. This allows for an OHKO on offensive opposing Snowslash after rocks, a minor chance to OHKO Skuntank after rocks, and a guaranteed OHKO after rocks on Dodrio, Scyther, and Aggron.

I decided to swap the "FatSu" EV spread with a more offensive variant for more damage output, and replace Calm Mind with Toxic for the cases of wear-and-tear on our opponents' walls which cripple this mon, mainly Regirock and Mudsdale. Colbur is listed instead of its Rocky Helmet because we are sacrificing some bulk in exchange for power, but still need to live hits from Gurdurr's Knock Off. Dancer is usually an irrelevant ability, but can potentially help against Lilligant or Bellossom. Hurricane is the only attacking move because it is the highest damage Sensu can release, whilst keeping our defensive capabilities. Roost is for longevity, Defog is for removing Spikes, which cripple our hail abusers, and Toxic is the final move for wearing down walls. The EV spread is the same as "FatSu," but instead of defense, it is thrown into Special Attack. The 168 Special Attack EVs ensure a potential chance to OHKO Bellossom after Stealth Rocks, 2HKO Quagsire after rocks, and a high chance to 2HKO without rocks, and to 2HKO Weezing after rocks.

Weaknesses
-Major weaknesses to using hail are simply losing hail. Without hail, Snowslash cannot do what it is meant to do, because there is no speed for it to sweep. Without hail, there is a lack of chip damage on opposing pokemon which can potentially matter in a longer gamestate. Another weakness to losing hail would be your opponent may benefit because of their own weather being in play. Be wary of Aurorus' health, as changing the weather is crucial for sustainability.

-Water types. Water type mons are detrimental against hail because there is no water resist on this team. This is why the team comes prepared with techs such as Energy Ball from Kadabra, Freeze-Dry from Aurorus, Toxic on Sensu for bulky wear-down, Discharge on Stunfisk, and even potentially Future Sight for a last-ditch effort against a bulky water that walls the team. To potentially combat this, Poliwrath can be an option over Gurdurr because of its Water Absorb ability, as well as phazing and dual resistances to Aggron's STABs, but the loss of setup is a major drawback.

-Fighting types. Gurdurr and Hitmonchan can pretty much effortlessly 6-0 an unprepared or weakened hail team. This is why pokemon like Sensu, rocky helmet Stunfisk, and Sash Kadabra are on this team. They help a long way with dealing with this huge weakness.

-Hazard Stacking teams. Spikes are a pain for hail. Both of our hail-abusers are weak to Spikes, so the implementation of a pokemon who is immune to Spikes and can Defog and Spin-block are absolutely vital factors for using hail. Sensu is the best defogger for any hail team.

Final Disclaimer

Regardless if my team (which I did climb the ranks in PU ladder with this exact team) does not get chosen for a Sample Team, I do still firmly believe that weather-based teams need to be reviewed for additions to the Sample Team suggestions, as they are some of the founding teams of PU, and are worthy of being recognized by all players; straight out the gate or showdown veterans.

-Bag of Trixx
Hello, cool team. Just a quick comment, sandslash-A with a jolly nature is usually better, otherwise you are revengekilled by Primeape and Togedemaru scarf, which really sucks (especially the toge part, since it is the most popular scarfer). ZIngzap doesnt do sooo much damage but still, outspeeding it is way more useful, because it leaves offense players with 2 options: revenge kill with machpunch or use an awkward scarfer like manec or floatzel, and that's what makes alolaslash so scary vs offense imo. The extrapower provided by Ada isnt that relevant, u can use a Jolly+lifeorb if u believe having higher rolls is absolutely necessary.
e: i might be wrong, feel free to convince me about the usefulness of ada alolaslash

Hello, cool team. Just a quick comment, sandslash-A with a jolly nature is usually better, otherwise you are revengekilled by Primeape and Togedemaru scarf, which really sucks (especially the toge part, since it is the most popular scarfer). ZIngzap doesnt do sooo much damage but still, outspeeding it is way more useful, because it leaves offense players with 2 options: revenge kill with machpunch or use an awkward scarfer like manec or floatzel, and that's what makes alolaslash so scary vs offense imo. The extrapower provided by Ada isnt that relevant, u can use a Jolly+lifeorb if u believe having higher rolls is absolutely necessary.
e: i might be wrong, feel free to convince me about the usefulness of ada alolaslash
I'm glad you like the team! And yes, I do believe you are right that jolly might be preferable as there are not many significant calcs that adamant is necessary for. Besides, SD is a wonderful move lol. Thanks for the advice!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)