SM OU Pure Hentai - A bulky offense team (Reqs 50-18)

Hi! My name is 10th Squad Toshiro and I'd like to share the team I've been using for the dugtrio suspect test. I've used rain and stall (really uncreative rain with bulu kingdra and dugtrio.stall) for my the genesect test and this is the first team I'm proud of.

Some of you might remember Diancie the Flame or Sceptilyzed and this will be my 3rd rmt that I'm proud of and 1st rmt in SM OU.

Proof of record
Scarf
, the starting idea and first mon of the team. Nihilego checks all the Tapus, Volcarona, ScarfChomp/Lando-T and a lot of dragon dancer at +1 for example Gyarados, Salamence and ZardX. It has really good speed for a scarf user and its ability allows it to clean lategame. However Nihilego isn't perfect, especially with hp ice, it absolutely despises steel types so a fire mon with ground coverage to pressure steel types and have few to no counters had to be added.
,Charizard X and Heatran came into question. I've wanted to use
for a while now since its really powerful and has some defensive utility paired with its power. Since we are still quite weak to steel and ground types I've chosen to add spikes and what better mon is there to set up spikes than
which also gives us a water resistance and something the best thing against rain.
was chosen as a ground immunity and Stealth Rock setter, while pairing historically well with Ferrothorn. Since a Tapu is pretty beneficial right now and the team is quite slow & low on momentum
got on the team to deal with threats offensively and help to pressure ground types. As my last mon I obviously wanted hazard control and since we stack spikes a rapid spinner is the only choice to go for.
seems like the perfect match, completing the fire-water-grass core. While
isnt the most threatening in itself, it supports the team really well by beating some key hazard setters AND pressuring opposing defogger with a very special set that will be presented below. While it doesnt excel at either it has just enough power and bulk to work and is definitly a viable (and in this gen one of the better) Spinner in OU if used to its strengths.

Team Preview:

The earth has music
for those who listen

Team Member:

Nihilego @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Sludge Wave
- Power Gem
- Thunder
Scarf Nihilego is an excellent revenge killer and lategame cleaner. Once the opposing steel types are eliminated and the spikes have been stacked there is very little that stops Nihilego.
The given EV's maximize Nihilego's speed while letting it hit as hard as possible. The remaining 4 EV are put into SpD.

Hidden Power [Ice] is chosen over Hidden Power [Fire] because it barely outspeeds ScarfChomp as well as Scarf Landorus-Therian and forcing this pokemon to deal with steel types rather than use it to its strengths is, in my opinion, foolish. Hidden Power [Fire] should be considered as a lure if your team is weak to steel types.
Sludge Wave is Nihilego's strongest STAB and is used to destroy tapus and clean once the steel types are gone.
Power Gem is Nihilego's second STAB and used to revenge certain threats as well as weaken switchins that lack recovery reliably, for example Mega-Metagross.
Thunder is a move Nihilego rarely goes for. It is used for breaking steels and hits harder than anything else in Terrain so it can be used in sweep situations if the damage from sludge wave is not enough or the typing is better.

Landorus-Therian @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 28 SpD / 28 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Fly
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stealth Rock
Defensive Landorus-Therian is probably the most overused mon right now and it should need no introduction. It counters physical pokemon and sets up rocks. Originally I rain the classic Rocky Helmet, U-turn version, however, this team was quite weak to Mega-Venusaur and was running no z-move so Fly-Z was chosen over U-Turn.
This Spread aims to speed creep opposing defensive Landorus-Therian and surviving a Life Orb Tapu Koko Hidden Power [Ice] 100% (calc is saying I should run 252/24 when all that does is giving me a 6.3% chance to get killed by HP Ice and take 1 more damage from SR wake up calc Lando-T aint using Lefties no more)

Earthquake is your main attack and can't miss from any physical Landorus-Therian set.
Fly is used with the z-Crystal for a powerful nuke. This is mainly for Mega-Venusaur, however, it has some other uses like ohko'ing Zard Y on the switch-in ect.
Hidden Power [Ice] the best attack on this set I'm not even joking its pretty sad because this beats the best pokemon in the tier... itself. Oh and Zygarde is a nightmare too.
Stealth Rock ;

Blastoise-Mega @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 48 HP / 252 SpA / 208 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Ice Beam
Mega-Blastoise is a pretty solid spinner right now. With the downfall of bulky Starmie (I still think offensive Starmie is a decent spinner on offense) and the mediocrity of Tentacruel being even more painful this generation, Mega-Blastoise combines bulk and offensive pressense to be the best water type spinner for this team.
This EV spread aims to outspeed up to max speed tyranitar while hitting as hard as possible. The remaining EV's are put into HP.

Rapid Spin is the reason to run this mon. Dont use this in OU if you dont run Rapid Spin, 4 Attacks is bad.
Scald is by far the best option for STAB. Dont let confusion-surf or hydro fool you this is the shit.
Hidden Power [Electric] is an amazing option on this team. You 3hKO fini and pressure all the other water defogger in Mantine and Pelipper, keeping your hazards up while getting rid of theirs. In terrain, this is thunderbolt from a 405 Spa mon being able to go through some fat water types.
Ice Beam completes your Bolt-Beam coverage allowing you to hit grass dragon and some flying types like mandibuzz zapdos and tornadus-therian for supereffective damage. Dark Pulse, Dragon Pulse or Aura Sphere can be run over Ice Beam but right now this is my preferred choice.

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Swords Dance
- Fire punch
- Will-O-Wisp
Marowak-Alola Has rocket-high attack and can break through any team if given the oppertunities to do so. It also packs some defensive utility in 3 immunitys and a bunch of resists and is your main win condition against stall.
Max Atk is used to hit as hard as possible. 136 Speed is required to outspeed the likes of Chansey, Clefable, Celesteela and Hippowdon while the rest is put into HP to take recoil better as well as check certain threats more reliable.
Shadow Bone is your most spamable attack and hurts like hell.
Swords Dance gives up your ground coverage, however, ghost coverage is phenomenal so using moves outside of stab is very situational. This is needed to pressure stall more consistent and without running Flare Blitz.
Fire Punch is used as a secondary STAB move to break mons weak to it and preferred over Flare Blitz due to the lack of recoil and this being your only mon pressuring stall.
Will-O-Wisp is used to predict switch-ins like Landorus-Therian, Garchomp and Gyarados as well as rack up passive damage on certain things such as Quagsire and Pyukumuku.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Protect
Ferrothorn's defensive typing as well as base-staats are incredible, it is always an annoyance to deal with and can stack spikes really well. It can take boosted attacks from certain pokemon if they are lacking the correct coverage like a champ and is just a very solid steel type all-around.
The EV's maximize its bulk on both sides and is the proven standard support ferrothorn set.
Spikes are amazing on Ferrothorn/this Team because of how the defogger get pressured and how important it is to weaken certain grounded pokemon.
Leech Seed.... it's Ferrothorn, duh
Power Whip is honestly the better attack this generation because it covers a lot of stuff and can pressure Tapu Fini more
Protect is once again really amazing because of unstable the meta is and how many choiced things are running around. Combined with leech seed this move is a pain to deal with if played correctly

Tapu Koko @ Wise Glasses
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Dazzling Gleam
As great of a defensive core as Ferrothorn+Landorus-Therian might be, its hard to deal with everything defensively. Tapu Koko deals with threats offensively and is the offensive pivot of the team. It has also some very unique and useful resistances and summons terrain preventing the opponent from having their terrain up. Wise Glasses is used to push Hidden Power [Fire] (notably 2hKO's Ferrothorn with Wide Glasses) and Dazzling Gleam (to pick off dragons and grounds from a higher percentage) while still boosting its already insane Electro capabilities.
This Spread
maximizes its speed while dealing as much damage as possible. The remaining EV's are put into SpD
Volt Switch gains momentum and deals a phenomenal amount of damage
Thunderbolt is Koko's nuke in case the extra damage is needed, or if he prefers to already be in after killing an opponent
Hidden Power [Fire] Is used to deal with steel types such as ferrothorn and excadrill on the switch or in 1v1 situations
Dazzling Gleam is Koko's Hidden Power [Ice] "alternative" hitting ground types, dragons and fighting types.

Nihilego @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Sludge Wave
- Power Gem
- Thunder

Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Fly
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stealth Rock

Modest Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Ice Beam

EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Fire Punch
- Swords Dance
- Will-O-Wisp

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Protect

Tapu Koko @ Wise Glasses
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Dazzling Gleam

Threatlist coming soon (next few days weeks)

Last edited:

3d

Prada shoes cuz she prada me
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
World Defender
Hello cool team. The biggest threat I noticed vs this team is Pheromosa as with its incredible coverage and speed this team has trouble dealing with it. While you do have an Alolan-Marowak which can switch in, with it's stealth rock weakness and lack of reliable hazard control it gives Pheromosa the opportunity to just continuously spam U-Turn. This team also lacks a way to pressure most Stall teams since with the combination of Quagsire+Skarmory+Chansey, this whole team gets walled with nothing to do. With that being said here are my suggested change.

-->
My suggest change would be making the Mega Blastoise a Tapu Fini. The immediate thing Tapu Fini provides is a way to pressure stall much better. With Nature's Madness + Taunt it brings most of Stall's mons down to half(excluding Amoonguss and Mega Venusaur) without fear, and can bring it down even further into range of Moonblast or a hit from a team member without fear of them recovering. This also provides you with a switchin for Choice Scarf Pheromosa which I stated earlier to be a huge threat. While Defog does get rid of your own hazards, Tapu Fini provides a much better answer to stall and provides hazard control, which no other bulky water can do.
I know I took away your Mega but I don't know if it's really 100% needed since imo this works out much better than blastoise and there isnt much else i would change about this team.

Also I'd change the Landorus-T set to standard defensive. I don't really see a use in running Z Fly Landorus-T besides hitting
Mega Venusaur, but I think running Rocky Helmet can help when pressuring U-Turns and Poison Jabs from Pheromosa vs your Tapu Fini. Instead of giving the import I'll just tell you to change the EV spread to 248 hp 244 defense, 8 spdef, 8 speed.

With this change it makes it more difficult to deal with Mega Venusaur so running Life Orb Brave Bird Tapu Koko helps vs it. With Life Orb it balances out the power loss coming from removing Mega Blastoise and also provides a way to 2HKO Mega Venusaur on the incoming switch. I would replace it with Dazzling Gleam as you already have a way to deal with most dragons, fightings, and grounds in Tapu Fini and Landorus-T.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 244 HP / 200 Def / 64 Spe
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Nature's Madness
- Taunt
- Defog

Last edited:
Hello cool team. The biggest threat I noticed vs this team is Pheromosa as with its incredible coverage and speed this team has trouble dealing with it. While you do have an Alolan-Marowak which can switch in, with it's stealth rock weakness and lack of reliable hazard control it gives Pheromosa the opportunity to just continuously spam U-Turn. This team also lacks a way to pressure most Stall teams since with the combination of Quagsire+Skarmory+Chansey, this whole team gets walled with nothing to do. With that being said here are my suggested change.

-->
My suggest change would be making the Mega Blastoise a Tapu Fini. The immediate thing Tapu Fini provides is a way to pressure stall much better. With Nature's Madness + Taunt it brings most of Stall's mons down to half(excluding Amoonguss and Mega Venusaur) without fear, and can bring it down even further into range of Moonblast or a hit from a team member without fear of them recovering. This also provides you with a switchin for Choice Scarf Pheromosa which I stated earlier to be a huge threat. While Defog does get rid of your own hazards, Tapu Fini provides a much better answer to stall and provides hazard control, which no other bulky water can do.
I know I took away your Mega but I don't know if it's really 100% needed since imo this works out much better than blastoise and there isnt much else i would change about this team.

Also I'd change the Landorus-T set to standard defensive. I don't really see a use in running Z Fly Landorus-T besides hitting
Mega Venusaur, but I think running Rocky Helmet can help when pressuring U-Turns and Poison Jabs from Pheromosa vs your Tapu Fini. Instead of giving the import I'll just tell you to change the EV spread to 248 hp 244 defense, 8 spdef, 8 speed.

With this change it makes it more difficult to deal with Mega Venusaur so running Life Orb Brave Bird Tapu Koko helps vs it. With Life Orb it balances out the power loss coming from removing Mega Blastoise and also provides a way to 2HKO Mega Venusaur on the incoming switch. I would replace it with Dazzling Gleam as you already have a way to deal with most dragons, fightings, and grounds in Tapu Fini and Landorus-T.
Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 244 HP / 200 Def / 64 Spe
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Nature's Madness
- Taunt
- Defog
Howdy! Thank you for your reply.

While I appreciate your rate, unfortunatly most of your points seem to be very superficial and the one problem you identified correctly (that stall is a bad matchup around 70-30 I'd say, not that marowak cant get past skarm chansey quag/pyuku simply because it WoWs then bones 2x on the water which by the way you can do very patiently) had a wrong solution attached to it.

1.Fini doesnt actually beat stall but pressure specific member of it in amoonguss toxapex and zapdos depending on which counter the stall team has for Fini. All of these already get beaten by marowak, especially with electric terrain for amoonguss. In fact some of them are your oppertunities to bring in marowak against stall.

2.Scarf Phero is not a problem it literally checks nothing besides Nihilego and even then it would have to go for hjk with maro in the back keep in mind that protect is a huge hinderance for pheromosa.

3.Defog is ass here you win by pressuring teams with spikes and pressuring the hazard removal fini works better on teams that have stronger threats than this team.

4.Helmet Landorus-Therian definitly helps a lot it forms a nice volt-turn stop with marowak and is an extraordinary pivot, however mega venusaur and even some AV tang variants pressure this team too hard right now which is why I will stick with flyinium-z until I find a better solution to deal with those.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
I would run U-Turn on Koko over Volt Switch and Swords Dance over Wisp on A-Marowak. Right now Dugtrio traps Koko and removes it out of the equation and at least you can get out of dodge if using U-Turn.

I question the validity of Wisp on A-Wak. This tech always seemed a lot better in theory than in practice and I feel like its definitive niche on this team is the role of a stallbreaker. Its the only thing I see on this team that can genuinely break stall and not able to apply consistent pressure without SD seems a bit of a downer. If going for SD I'd consider running Fire Punch over Blitz. Instead of the last ditch effort you have with Blitz, you won't have to worry too much about recoil with the combination of Punch + SD.

Last point would be to bump the speed on A-Wak to max, same nature. This stops bulky M-Scizor from U-Turning on you on the assumption its faster than yourself and removing it with Fire Coverage. This is probably more preference towards myself than something necessary but it's something to consider.

GL

Hey AM and thanks for the rate.

First of all this is a team I used for the dugtrio suspect so volt > u-turn was chosen. I feel like I have enough for Marowak-Alola to not run u-turn because of it. In case Dugtrio ends up staying, Volt Switch will be changed to U-Turn.

As for Marowak running SD, I've actually spoken to klefkiholder today and he suggested me running it as well. However, the problem I have is that marowak cant break quagsire and pyukumuku if it doesnt run WoW as the extra damage is needed to get the 2hko. Do you think that SD > Bonemerang + Fire Punch > Flare is worth a shot?

Also, I couldnt think of anything worth outspeeding with more speed besides bulky mega Scizor (please tell me if there is anything) and I think that the 30 hp are worth more than being able to gamble on Scizor not running 16 speed ev's for Alolan-Marowak.

Last edited:

3d

Prada shoes cuz she prada me
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
World Defender
Ok, Ill give this another shot. With discussion with my buddy Analytic we've established a few things. Firstly, this team has trouble vs Dual Dance Landorus-T, and even just a Swords Dance boost is often enough to win if Nihilego is gone, and a +2 Speed Landorus-T also has no switchins on this team. Tapu Lele can also pose to be an issue vs this team as even though you do have a Nihilego Tapu Lele can virtually get a kill everytime it comes in. With those things being said here are mine/analytic's NEW suggestion for this team.

--> `
Mega Metagross deals with Tapu Lele quite handily. With it's solid bulk and strong attack it can take a hit and retaliate back with meteor mash guaranteeing the one hit ko. Contradicting my earlier rate, I don't think this team 100% needs hazard control since it can pressure almost every spike / rock setter which usually prevents them from getting up layers weakining Marowak-A. Bullet Punch is also a nice option to use here since it has the ability to hit Pheromosa outside of Psychic Terrain, while also providing you a way to hit a weakened Landorus-T. One of the cons that this could create is making this team more susceptible to bulky waters like Mantine, Pelipper, or Tapu Fini so running Thunder Punch on Mega Metagross can patch up that weakness.

-->
My next change will be replacing Landorus-T with Specs Pheromosa. As was stated before, CC Landorus-T with even just an attack boost destroys this team as it can OHKO every member, barring Nihilego which outspeeds and hits it hard with Hidden Power Ice. Choice Specs Pheromosa can deal with Landorus-Therian quite nicely, hitting it hard with choice specs Ice Beam and getting the Speed boost. The reason this set is preferred over the scarf set, is the scarf set doesn't even outspeed +2 Jolly Landorus-T so missing out on the extra Special Attack could be a waste.

As I did get rid of your main Stealth Rocker, making Ferrothorn Stealth Rock over Protect could work. The main use of protect was to scout Choice locked mons but this team has enough pivots to deal with most choice locked mons, mainly Pheromosa, and Tapu Lele.

With the removal of Landorus-T, Mega Venusaur becomes a pain in the ass for you to deal with. So what you could do to play around it is bait it with Brave Bird Tapu Koko(which I suggested earlier) putting it in range of most hits, mainly Bug Buzz from Pheromosa after Stealth Rock. You can also pressure this with Spike stack and that could put it in range of a Pheromosa hit, or even Tapu Koko's Brave Bird. The same goes for specially oriented Amoonguss.

Anyway that was my second rate of this team and again huge shoutouts to Analytic for helping me with this.
Nihilego @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Sludge Wave
- Power Gem
- Thunder

Pheromosa @ Choice Specs
Hasty Nature
- Focus Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Ice Beam
- U-turn

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Thunder Punch
- Bullet Punch
- Zen Headbutt

EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Bonemerang
- Flare Blitz
- Will-O-Wisp

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Protect

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
EVs: 44 Atk / 212 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Brave Bird
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Last edited:

busyguy

formerly mil
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
hey, interesting build. just a few quick options I want to mention:

For Koko you can try out a set with Thunderbolt/U-turn/Roost/HP Ice, that way you have longevity against Stall teams, e.g. coming in repeatedly on Sableye's Knock or WillO, and not losing to Toxapex in the long run. The loss of HP fire leaves your team more vulnerable to steels like Ferro or Sciz than before, so you can run Knock Off over Protect on Ferrothorn to have more options against opposing Ferrothorn, and it also removes Leftovers from Celesteela, Heatran and Bronzong for example, so you're wearing them down faster in combination with hazards. Without Protect, you can't scout moves anymore, but that's the price for this change. You have Marowak as an initial switchin, but can't come in too often, fears Knock Off and takes Rocks every time. To handle Scizor better, you can try out a faster Marowak set as AM mentioned, in combination with SD to pressure defensive builds, and speed investment that creeps scizors.

And Thunderbolt over Thunder on Nihilego, you're not hitting that...

Last edited:
Reactions: Sun
hey, interesting build. just a few quick options I want to mention:

For Koko you can try out a set with Thunderbolt/U-turn/Roost/HP Ice, that way you have longevity against Stall teams, e.g. coming in repeatedly on Sableye's Knock or WillO, and not losing to Toxapex in the long run. The loss of HP fire leaves your team more vulnerable to steels like Ferro or Sciz than before, so you can run Knock Off over Protect on Ferrothorn to have more options against opposing Ferrothorn, and it also removes Leftovers from Celesteela, Heatran and Bronzong for example, so you're wearing them down faster in combination with hazards. Without Protect, you can't scout moves anymore, but that's the price for this change. You have Marowak as an initial switchin, but can't come in too often, fears Knock Off and takes Rocks every time. To handle Scizor better, you can try out a faster Marowak set as AM mentioned, in combination with SD to pressure defensive builds, and speed investment that creeps scizors.

And Thunderbolt over Thunder on Nihilego, you're not hitting that...
Hey and thank you for the suggestions!

As I've already told AM if dugtrio ends up staying volt switch will be given up in favor of u-turn! Roost is a very interesting option as it brings in marowak a few times against stall and just helps its longevity against fat teams (as you mentioned). I'll be playing around with that.

Knock Off is a very solid option on ferrothorn and now that you mention it, it helps this team out a lot especially without koko being able to lure in ferrothorn anymore. Either this or aura sphere blastoise will be the compensation if I decide to run roost koko.

Also, (like I told AM) I dont think any more speed investment is necessary on Marowak-Alola if scizor is the only thing it is targeted for, because it can simply run 16 speed ev's to outspeed alolan-marowak.

Thunderbolt is what I initially ran, but unfortunatly it lacks the power outside of electric terrain and I found myself never klicking it so I went with the option listed on the standard smogon set and it has an intresting niche (I dislike it too but unfortunatly you kind of need the power :( tho I guess a case can be made that I dont need thunder over thunderbolt because thunderbolt in electric terrain hits the targets thunder hits).

Ok, Ill give this another shot. With discussion with my buddy Analytic we've established a few things. Firstly, this team has trouble vs Dual Dance Landorus-T, and even just a Swords Dance boost is often enough to win if Nihilego is gone, and a +2 Speed Landorus-T also has no switchins on this team. Tapu Lele can also pose to be an issue vs this team as even though you do have a Nihilego Tapu Lele can virtually get a kill everytime it comes in. With those things being said here are mine/analytic's NEW suggestion for this team.

--> `
Mega Metagross deals with Tapu Lele quite handily. With it's solid bulk and strong attack it can take a hit and retaliate back with meteor mash guaranteeing the one hit ko. Contradicting my earlier rate, I don't think this team 100% needs hazard control since it can pressure almost every spike / rock setter which usually prevents them from getting up layers weakining Marowak-A. Bullet Punch is also a nice option to use here since it has the ability to hit Pheromosa outside of Psychic Terrain, while also providing you a way to hit a weakened Landorus-T. One of the cons that this could create is making this team more susceptible to bulky waters like Mantine, Pelipper, or Tapu Fini so running Thunder Punch on Mega Metagross can patch up that weakness.

-->
My next change will be replacing Landorus-T with Specs Pheromosa. As was stated before, CC Landorus-T with even just an attack boost destroys this team as it can OHKO every member, barring Nihilego which outspeeds and hits it hard with Hidden Power Ice. Choice Specs Pheromosa can deal with Landorus-Therian quite nicely, hitting it hard with choice specs Ice Beam and getting the Speed boost. The reason this set is preferred over the scarf set, is the scarf set doesn't even outspeed +2 Jolly Landorus-T so missing out on the extra Special Attack could be a waste.

As I did get rid of your main Stealth Rocker, making Ferrothorn Stealth Rock over Protect could work. The main use of protect was to scout Choice locked mons but this team has enough pivots to deal with most choice locked mons, mainly Pheromosa, and Tapu Lele.

With the removal of Landorus-T, Mega Venusaur becomes a pain in the ass for you to deal with. So what you could do to play around it is bait it with Brave Bird Tapu Koko(which I suggested earlier) putting it in range of most hits, mainly Bug Buzz from Pheromosa after Stealth Rock. You can also pressure this with Spike stack and that could put it in range of a Pheromosa hit, or even Tapu Koko's Brave Bird. The same goes for specially oriented Amoonguss.

Anyway that was my second rate of this team and again huge shoutouts to Analytic for helping me with this.
Nihilego @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Sludge Wave
- Power Gem
- Thunder

Pheromosa @ Choice Specs
Hasty Nature
- Focus Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Ice Beam
- U-turn

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Thunder Punch
- Bullet Punch
- Zen Headbutt

Adamant Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Bonemerang
- Flare Blitz
- Will-O-Wisp

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Protect

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
EVs: 44 Atk / 212 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Brave Bird
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
Hello and thank you again for putting in the effort to help me out!

I've already responded to you with my home-brewed meme but unfortunately it had nothing constructive to add to the discussion and I did a poor job in explaining the situation. I will try my best in responding to every point made with valid arguments.
Countering
is an incredibly difficult task even for the most defensive of teams. On this team, Ferrothorn allows you to pivot around it even if its not a guaranteed counter (neither is Mega-Metagross). The existence of protect on Ferrothorn also helps out to play around Choice Scarf and Choice Specs Tapu Lele . While you could run Mega-Metagross on every team it might not lead to the success one is hoping for since it is quite well-prepared if not over-prepared for. Overall, my opinion on this is that the bulky water combined with hazard control is more valuable then a second steel unless more changes are made to the point where the team would be a completely different build with different win conditions.
is the best user of z-moves as well as the most used pokemon in the tier. This team does a potent job in dealing with it's best offensive (and defensive but that is irrelevant here) set, which is Rockium Z with defensive Landorus-Therian. Unfortunately Flyinium Z gets past it at + 2 which enables Landorus-Therian to double dance against this team if starting from full. However, after 1 Hidden Power [Ice], Power Whip can revenge it, taking a +2 EQ even with rocks up 100%. I'm open to any suggestion to deal with the Flyinium Z set better, however, I dont think Choice Specs Pheromosa is helping much in this case, because it merely checks it and doesnt stop the Rock Polish sweep, in fact it does a worse job than Lando in that regard losing to Rockium Z as well.

Overall I strongly believe that Pheromosa and Mega-Metagross are incredible strong mons with a secured place on a lot of HO and some BO builds (Metagross more often than Phero on BO). However, with the approach you are taking it is starting to deserve it's own rmt, not merely an alternative build to that of my own :]

Last edited:
Hi! My name is 10th Squad Toshiro and I'd like to share the team I've been using for the dugtrio suspect test. I've used rain and stall (really uncreative rain with bulu kingdra and dugtrio.stall) for my the genesect test and this is the first team I'm proud of.

Some of you might remember Diancie the Flame or Sceptilyzed and this will be my 3rd rmt that I'm proud of and 1st rmt in SM OU.

Proof of record
Scarf
, the starting idea and first mon of the team. Nihilego checks all the Tapus, Volcarona, ScarfChomp/Lando-T and a lot of dragon dancer at +1 for example Gyarados, Salamence and ZardX. It has really good speed for a scarf user and its ability allows it to clean lategame. However Nihilego isn't perfect, especially with hp ice, it absolutely despises steel types so a fire mon with ground coverage to pressure steel types and have few to no counters had to be added.
,Charizard X and Heatran came into question. I've wanted to use
for a while now since its really powerful and has some defensive utility paired with its power. Since we are still quite weak to steel and ground types I've chosen to add spikes and what better mon is there to set up spikes than
which also gives us a water resistance and something the best thing against rain.
was chosen as a ground immunity and Stealth Rock setter, while pairing historically well with Ferrothorn. Since a Tapu is pretty beneficial right now and the team is quite slow & low on momentum
got on the team to deal with threats offensively and help to pressure ground types. As my last mon I obviously wanted hazard control and since we stack spikes a rapid spinner is the only choice to go for.
seems like the perfect match, completing the fire-water-grass core. While
isnt the most threatening in itself, it supports the team really well by beating some key hazard setters AND pressuring opposing defogger with a very special set that will be presented below. While it doesnt excel at either it has just enough power and bulk to work and is definitly a viable (and in this gen one of the better) Spinner in OU if used to its strengths.

Team Preview:

The earth has music
for those who listen

Team Member:

Nihilego @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Sludge Wave
- Power Gem
- Thunder
Scarf Nihilego is an excellent revenge killer and lategame cleaner. Once the opposing steel types are eliminated and the spikes have been stacked there is very little that stops Nihilego.
The given EV's maximize Nihilego's speed while letting it hit as hard as possible. The remaining 4 EV are put into SpD.

Hidden Power [Ice] is chosen over Hidden Power [Fire] because it barely outspeeds ScarfChomp as well as Scarf Landorus-Therian and forcing this pokemon to deal with steel types rather than use it to its strengths is, in my opinion, foolish. Hidden Power [Fire] should be considered as a lure if your team is weak to steel types.
Sludge Wave is Nihilego's strongest STAB and is used to destroy tapus and clean once the steel types are gone.
Power Gem is Nihilego's second STAB and used to revenge certain threats as well as weaken switchins that lack recovery reliably, for example Mega-Metagross.
Thunder is a move Nihilego rarely goes for. It is used for breaking steels and hits harder than anything else in Terrain so it can be used in sweep situations if the damage from sludge wave is not enough or the typing is better.

Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Fly
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stealth Rock
Defensive Landorus-Therian is probably the most overused mon right now and it should need no introduction. It counters physical pokemon and sets up rocks. Originally I rain the classic Rocky Helmet, U-turn version, however, this team was quite weak to Mega-Venusaur and was running no z-move so Fly-Z was chosen over U-Turn.
This Spread aims to speed creep opposing defensive Landorus-Therian and surviving a Life Orb Tapu Koko Hidden Power [Ice] 100% (calc is saying I should run 252/24 when all that does is giving me a 6.3% chance to get killed by HP Ice and take 1 more damage from SR wake up calc Lando-T aint using Lefties no more)

Earthquake is your main attack and can't miss from any physical Landorus-Therian set.
Fly is used with the z-Crystal for a powerful nuke. This is mainly for Mega-Venusaur, however, it has some other uses like ohko'ing Zard Y on the switch-in ect.
Hidden Power [Ice] the best attack on this set I'm not even joking its pretty sad because this beats the best pokemon in the tier... itself. Oh and Zygarde is a nightmare too.
Stealth Rock ;

Modest Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Ice Beam
Mega-Blastoise is a pretty solid spinner right now. With the downfall of bulky Starmie (I still think offensive Starmie is a decent spinner on offense) and the mediocrity of Tentacruel being even more painful this generation, Mega-Blastoise combines bulk and offensive pressense to be the best water type spinner for this team.
This EV spread aims to outspeed up to max speed tyranitar while hitting as hard as possible. The remaining EV's are put into HP.

Rapid Spin is the reason to run this mon. Dont use this in OU if you dont run Rapid Spin, 4 Attacks is bad.
Scald is by far the best option for STAB. Dont let confusion-surf or hydro fool you this is the shit.
Hidden Power [Electric] is an amazing option on this team. You 3hKO fini and pressure all the other water defogger in Mantine and Pelipper, keeping your hazards up while getting rid of theirs. In terrain, this is thunderbolt from a 405 Spa mon being able to go through some fat water types.
Ice Beam completes your Bolt-Beam coverage allowing you to hit grass dragon and some flying types like mandibuzz zapdos and tornadus-therian for supereffective damage. Dark Pulse, Dragon Pulse or Aura Sphere can be run over Ice Beam but right now this is my preferred choice.

Adamant Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Swords Dance
- Fire punch
- Will-O-Wisp
Marowak-Alola Has rocket-high attack and can break through any team if given the oppertunities to do so. It also packs some defensive utility in 3 immunitys and a bunch of resists and is your main win condition against stall.
Max Atk is used to hit as hard as possible. 136 Speed is required to outspeed the likes of Chansey, Clefable, Celesteela and Hippowdon while the rest is put into HP to take recoil better as well as check certain threats more reliable.
Shadow Bone is your most spamable attack and hurts like hell.
Swords Dance gives up your ground coverage, however, ghost coverage is phenomenal so using moves outside of stab is very situational. This is needed to pressure stall more consistent and without running Flare Blitz.
Fire Punch is used as a secondary STAB move to break mons weak to it and preferred over Flare Blitz due to the lack of recoil and this being your only mon pressuring stall.
Will-O-Wisp is used to predict switch-ins like Landorus-Therian, Garchomp and Gyarados as well as rack up passive damage on certain things such as Quagsire and Pyukumuku.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Protect
Ferrothorn's defensive typing as well as base-staats are incredible, it is always an annoyance to deal with and can stack spikes really well. It can take boosted attacks from certain pokemon if they are lacking the correct coverage like a champ and is just a very solid steel type all-around.
The EV's maximize its bulk on both sides and is the proven standard support ferrothorn set.
Spikes are amazing on Ferrothorn/this Team because of how the defogger get pressured and how important it is to weaken certain grounded pokemon.
Leech Seed.... it's Ferrothorn, duh
Power Whip is honestly the better attack this generation because it covers a lot of stuff and can pressure Tapu Fini more
Protect is once again really amazing because of unstable the meta is and how many choiced things are running around. Combined with leech seed this move is a pain to deal with if played correctly

Tapu Koko @ Wise Glasses
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Dazzling Gleam
As great of a defensive core as Ferrothorn+Landorus-Therian might be, its hard to deal with everything defensively. Tapu Koko deals with threats offensively and is the offensive pivot of the team. It has also some very unique and useful resistances and summons terrain preventing the opponent from having their terrain up. Wise Glasses is used to push Hidden Power [Fire] (notably 2hKO's Ferrothorn with Wide Glasses) and Dazzling Gleam (to pick off dragons and grounds from a higher percentage) while still boosting its already insane Electro capabilities.
This Spread
maximizes its speed while dealing as much damage as possible. The remaining EV's are put into SpD
Volt Switch gains momentum and deals a phenomenal amount of damage
Thunderbolt is Koko's nuke in case the extra damage is needed, or if he prefers to already be in after killing an opponent
Hidden Power [Fire] Is used to deal with steel types such as ferrothorn and excadrill on the switch or in 1v1 situations
Dazzling Gleam is Koko's Hidden Power [Ice] "alternative" hitting ground types, dragons and fighting types.

Nihilego @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Sludge Wave
- Power Gem
- Thunder

Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Fly
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stealth Rock

Modest Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Ice Beam

Adamant Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Bonemerang
- Flare Blitz
- Will-O-Wisp

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Protect

Tapu Koko @ Wise Glasses
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Dazzling Gleam

Threatlist coming soon (next few days)
Really loving this team tried it in Showdown, seems good any pointers i could get from this
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-540179081

Lord Wallace

Hentai Connoiseur
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Wise Glasses----> Magnet
Magnet grabs power for your electric type moves then Wise Glasses does. The boost to HP ice is also Unnecessary since it can OHKO offensive lando and garchomp with unboosted HP ice anyways iirc.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
View attachment 78676
It's not HP Ice, its HP Fire, and he specifically said Wise Glasses was to 2HKO Ferro with HP Fire, read the RMT more carefully please.

As for the actual rate, I honestly don't have too much to say that hasn't already been covered other than I've played this team on the ladder before a couple times and it's quite solid.

Since you opted for Fire Punch over Blitz (which is a good change imo) and also carry SD it may also be a good idea to invest in just a bit more speed to get the jump on things like AV Magearna, Pelipper, Mantine, and Skarmory, three of which are potential Defoggers that may try and use Marowak as an opportunity to suicide Defog. There's also the occasional Alomomola that could carry Knock Off to neuter your AlolaWak. It isn't too common as Pex is often preferred over it on stall but better safe than sorry imo, nothing is worse than having to switch out at +2 on a mon you could have outsped. Another Pokemon that could be worth outspeeding is Klefki, as it 2HKOes you with Foul Play (a move they often carry in OU) and if you've already SDed up its a clean OHKO. However, it does require close to max speed and you do have Landorus-T and Blastoise to deal with it so its probably not as important. On the other hand, reaching this benchmark also outspeeds bulky M-Zor and prevents it from U-Turning on you.

In the end it's up to you, but I'd honestly still go for the base 70 benchmark at least for SD Wak (which is 208 EVs).

I feel like there's a ton of pressure on your Landorus-T to check Ground types right now, and while I do realize this is a balanced offense team it does still bother me a little just how much of a beating you take from any team with double Grounds (and theres a lot of em) considering neither your Lando nor your Blastoise pack any kind of recovery whatsoever. Aaaand I couldn't really work up a solution that didn't just make the team worse except for the minor change of making Ferrothorn absolute maximum defense to better sponge hits from the likes of Excadrill, Garchomp, and Zygarde and take some pressure off of Landorus-T. Even without the SDef investment you still aren't 2HKOed by Specs pre-Ash Ninja's Dark Pulse among other things especially since you pack Protect, that particular spread iirc was designed for checking Tail Glow Manaphy which really isn't as relevant anymore so I'd just dump it into Defense, though you could keep 40 SDef EVs to always live Mega Zam's Focus Blast if that matters to you.

All I got for you, best of luck.

It's not HP Ice, its HP Fire, and he specifically said Wise Glasses was to 2HKO Ferro with HP Fire, read the RMT more carefully please.

As for the actual rate, I honestly don't have too much to say that hasn't already been covered other than I've played this team on the ladder before a couple times and it's quite solid.

Since you opted for Fire Punch over Blitz (which is a good change imo) and also carry SD it may also be a good idea to invest in just a bit more speed to get the jump on things like AV Magearna, Pelipper, Mantine, and Skarmory, three of which are potential Defoggers that may try and use Marowak as an opportunity to suicide Defog. There's also the occasional Alomomola that could carry Knock Off to neuter your AlolaWak. It isn't too common as Pex is often preferred over it on stall but better safe than sorry imo, nothing is worse than having to switch out at +2 on a mon you could have outsped. Another Pokemon that could be worth outspeeding is Klefki, as it 2HKOes you with Foul Play (a move they often carry in OU) and if you've already SDed up its a clean OHKO. However, it does require close to max speed and you do have Landorus-T and Blastoise to deal with it so its probably not as important. On the other hand, reaching this benchmark also outspeeds bulky M-Zor and prevents it from U-Turning on you.

In the end it's up to you, but I'd honestly still go for the base 70 benchmark at least for SD Wak (which is 208 EVs).

I feel like there's a ton of pressure on your Landorus-T to check Ground types right now, and while I do realize this is a balanced offense team it does still bother me a little just how much of a beating you take from any team with double Grounds (and theres a lot of em) considering neither your Lando nor your Blastoise pack any kind of recovery whatsoever. Aaaand I couldn't really work up a solution that didn't just make the team worse except for the minor change of making Ferrothorn absolute maximum defense to better sponge hits from the likes of Excadrill, Garchomp, and Zygarde and take some pressure off of Landorus-T. Even without the SDef investment you still aren't 2HKOed by Specs pre-Ash Ninja's Dark Pulse among other things especially since you pack Protect, that particular spread iirc was designed for checking Tail Glow Manaphy which really isn't as relevant anymore so I'd just dump it into Defense, though you could keep 40 SDef EVs to always live Mega Zam's Focus Blast if that matters to you.

All I got for you, best of luck.
Hello and thank you for the rate!
I've already updated the alolan-marowak spread to outspeed alomomola as well since it is a viable regenerator user on stall which we are supposed to beat.
I will update the spread on the import and description as soon as I finish my comment.
Outspeeding base 70 speed pokemon such as mantine might be worth looking into thank you for bringing it up.

Honestly, I think that ferro is best with mixed defenses on this team since it is needed to pivot around special attacker such as tapu lele and greninja as well. Taking Alakazam Psychic/Sball + Focus Blast is incredibly important since it allows nihilego to revenge it anytime. Besides, you must have already met that legendary baton pass team a few times since you are playing on the ladder ;)

Awesome team, just a small suggestion.

If the 208 speed EV's on Blastoise are only to outpace max speed Tyranitar, then id say drop the speed down to 120 so that it can outpace 252 spe Adamant Tyranitar (the Choice Band variant) and then pumping the rest into HP. The only set that runs Jolly is Scarf Tar and you're not going to outpace that.

Also, I'd love to see some replays.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)