Tournament PUWC II - Commencement Thread

Leni

formerly tlenit
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RUPL Champion
1603389981769.png

Art by AmirAlexander

Hello and welcome to the Commencement thread for PU's very second PUWC, a chance for nations all around the world to prove who's the best at PU.​

This thread is to discuss about format for now. Thread will be updated later on to commencement thread with captains, players and so on when it's time for that.

Tiers for this years edition will remain same:
SS PU
SS PU
SS PU
SS PU
SM PU
ORAS PU
BW PU
DPP PU

Last year we randomized teams to two different groups to play regular season between each other in the group. Top two moved to playoffs to compete for the title. Based on last years feedback people found it as a good solution. Would you like to see this format again?

Other popular format is pools which ubers world cup is doing currently. I am down to listen other formats as well, feel free to point them out! I am also looking forward to expand number of teams for this year after last years experience.

The teams, managers, and any links to their Discord servers for tryouts are as follows (if its informed to us):
1. Canada gum Juno
2. Europe Drud termi
3. US West+US South roxiee ManOfMany
4. US Midwest Bag of Trixx avarice
5. US NorthEast Vulpix03
6. Brazil Spl4sh hs
7. rest of Latino America dahli Raichy
8. Germany Feaniix DnB
9. AAA zS gorex
10. India Saurav the great Piyush25
11. France Squash Lambovino
12. UK SOMALIA Estarossa

Groups:
1636993303058.png
Group A:
Germany
Brazil
Europe
India
US West + US South
US NorthEast

Group B:
AAA
Canada
France
Latino America
US Midwest
United Kingdom

Pool A:
Week 1:
Germany VS Brazil
Europe VS India
US South + West VS US NorthEast

Week 2:
Germany VS Europe
Brazil VS US South + West
India VS US NorthEast

Week 3:
Germany VS India
Brazil VS US NorthEast
Europe VS US South + West

Week 4:
Germany VS US South + West
Brazil VS India
Europe VS US NorthEast

Week 5:
Germany VS US NorthEast
Brazil VS Europe
India VS US South + West

Pool B:
Week 1:
Asia + Africa + Oceania VS Canada
France VS Latino America
US MidWest VS United Kingdom

Week 2:
Asia + Africa + Oceania VS France
Canada VS US MidWest
Latino America VS United Kingdom

Week 3:
Asia + Africa + Oceania VS Latino America
Canada VS United Kingdom
France VS US MidWest

Week 4:
Asia + Africa + Oceania VS US MidWest
Canada VS Latino America
France VS United Kingdom

Week 5:
Asia + Africa + Oceania VS United Kingdom
Canada VS France
Latino America VS US MidWest

Last edited:

Specs

Getting in your own way
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
UUPL Champion
100% agree with # of SwSh slots and rest of tiers

Am a fan of having pools this year, overall better format to me especially if we get more teams this year

edit: 1 pool like in wcop would be ideal

Last edited:

Oathkeeper

"Wait!" he says, do I look like a waiter?
is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Agreeing with Specs the SS slots are perfect, gives the meta more development and all that. As much as I love SM and ORAS PU, gotta keep them at 1 slot apiece. Perhaps there could be 3 playoff teams where the #3 and #2 battle it out to face the #1 like a 6-team PL? Or 4 teams (4 vs 1, 3 vs 2) like a 8-team PL? I mean, I can work with the top 2 making it in, but let's give the other teams a chance, you know?

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
last year’s format was perfect (besides northeast being merged with another team which was absurd), this was my fav lower tier wc and i personally think theres not a need to change it if the teams are the same. (not that it couldnt be changed, but we dont have to)

I liked that PUWC was weeks instead of pools last year, it made the regular season feel a lot more high-stakes since we frequently had important, week-deciding games. if only 2 out of 5/6 teams in your division qualify, playing each team once also ensures that you get a chance to face off 8v8 with the other teams you’re fighting against and control your destiny. With pools format, you can be screwed over by the pools your players are in and also dont get the chance to face off versus your competition as much, meaning that you may fail to move on mostly because other teams got a better draw. it just feels more arbitrary and less intense / competitive than weeks do, in my opinion

sugar ovens

blood inside
is a Top Tiering Contributor
last year's format was ideal, even if you decide to change the number of teams its ten times better than wcops format (e: oh, that is called pools too? mb)

avarice

greedy for love
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
def agree on weeks >>> pools. as far as tiers go i personally think 4 SS is too much though n would prefer to see an ADV slot since WC is a lower pressure environment and this could be used to gauge if it should be in classic. If having enough players for it is an issue then 2nd SM > 4th SS. I see the appeal in metagame development but it's also really easy to burn out like that and SS PU just isn't in a great place rn. by the time we were at finals it became hard to prep properly for all 4 slots.

Squash

UTA Overlord
Agreeing with weeks, it allows players to play more and to face each team at least one time in the tournament. Would be great if we could add a 2nd SM slot tho

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Agreeing with weeks, it allows players to play more and to face each team at least one time in the tournament. Would be great if we could add a 2nd SM slot tho
fwiw you did not face every team because the weeks were split into two divisions. i do think that system works better tho, maybe if this was a more generic tournament we could try pools just to give the tour more of an identity but world cup already has an identity of its own so it's fine to keep the format the same as last year.

re: tiers i think what the op suggests is fine. 2x sm with one less ss wouldnt be a problem for me either, idt any other change would make sense tho

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned deucer.
ADV is a semi stally meta, but with enough break out sweepers and cheese set-ups it's refreshing to not think about stealth rocks as You skim the threat list not named furret, or minun, and ivysuar/sealo.
Shoutouts to lead quick claw Trapinch to trap minun

Lily

wouldn't that be fine, dear
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
UU Leader
Normally I'd come here to simp for ADV and I still am doing that somewhat but it seems pretty clear that that won't get anywhere so please just don't add a 2nd SM slot. That meta is a) poop sry 2 say and more objectively b) an old gen now that shouldn't get any special treatment. I get that it's still apparently somewhat popular w/ the general playerbase but the ship has sailed by now. Either dip your toes into your other old gens (like adv!!! very fun tier!!! It'll get players and is very easy to learn!!!) or stick with your guns and just do 4 SS. Can we please have ADV in -something- though? :( it's worth trying at least once and the lower stakes team tour is the place to do it... maybe a PU snake or something? :pleading_face:

Also agreeing with Expulso that the decision to merge Canada and Northeast yesterday was very very bad and should not under any circumstances be repeated please

Bag of Trixx

I like to call it a passion
is a Pre-Contributor
Weeks >> pools for sure.
Pools format is awful so no need to add that hassle to this tournament (UWC player). It just doesn't feel like there are any stakes on the line for each upcoming week, since you aren't facing just one team individually. I like the weeks format because it's more of a "face-off" with your opponent, rather than a king of the ring.

Also can we drop an SS for either 2SM or ADV? Like honestly we just had 4 maybe 5 SS tours in a row and each of those tournaments had significant meta changes that made it nearly impossible to build solid teams each week in without either a) not being able to account for everything or b) building teams nearly identically to everyone else's. That's simply too much for a meta undergoing an obviously needed suspect test alongside the effects caused by said suspect test (new broken stuff rising in popularity, massive shift in the meta since X is gone, etc).

And whereas meta development is a concern for SS, this same issue can be proposed for ADV and other oldgens not seeing the light of day aside from few tournaments sightings like ORASPL, ROAPL, BWPL, etc. And like bff lilburr said above, ADV is worth adding to a lower stakes team tour. PUWC is the perfect place to showcase development and gauge interest in the oldgens prior to selecting them for PU classic. This gen is easy to learn, fun to play, and even better to build in. Saying this gen lacks playerbase is only a half-argument considering the gen never receives any attention in a tournament setting in order to develop a playerbase.

For the record, I'm fine if ADV is denied so long as SM gets a 2nd slot considering it's an incredibly popular metagame. Definitely not 4 SS though.

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor
Lets add ADV. It's a cute tier and it deserves a chance to be somewhere! Remember this is just a fun forum tour not SPL/SCL, its the perfect opportunity to play a tier like ADV. The lack of playerbase doesn't really matter, new players will pick it up and improvise some teams.
Don't let ADV die :psycry:

SergioRules

||blimp||
is a Community Contributor
ppl wanted me to talk ab adding ADV so I'll throw in my two cents

I think that adding ADV would be beneficial to both the tier and the tournament as a whole. Even if some of the other posts in this thread advocating for ADV are somewhat meme-y, I think there is enough interest that finding players wouldn't be too difficult. In my opinion, the current state of the meta isn't too hard to pick up or even build for and there's even quite a bit of healthy team diversity. It's also fun as hell, even with a lower amount of hugely strong offensive threats, ADV never feels too stall based for me to not enjoy playing and watching games.

For people who think that the ADV meta may be too underdeveloped, I invite you to consider how this gen compares to BWPU. Only a few years ago, BW was very clearly the black sheep of PU old gens. During SM/USUM, DPP had a pretty balanced metagame and a decently large player-base, ORAS had just become an old gen so obviously still had people playing it, but BW was un-fun and. unbalanced with mons like Throh, Vigoroth, Rotom-F and Combusken. However, having it recurring in PUPL and other tournaments, we've been able to implement the bans and developments to make the tier much more balanced and enjoyable. By not including ADV in tournaments like PUWC, PUPL, and PU Classic, we are dooming ADV to just be another weird old gen that only gets played maybe in the one time a year we do a specific tournament for it or if it by chance gets the RoA spotlight for the month. This severely limits the ability to gauge the state of the tier and determine what is broken and what isn't.

When I became caretaker of ADV, I had a few people ask me if I would try to ban Furret and my honest answer is: I don't know. Because so few high-level ADV games have been played, it makes it extremely hard to figure out what my opinion is. Sure, I play some friendlies every now and again but I can only tell so little from those games. Seeing more high-level games and having more players exposed to the meta would also greatly help me form a team of people who are well informed about the meta and could help me determine what changes the tier would need.
FREE ADV
also, if ADV were to be added and any team at any point needs prep help/teambuilding advice, I would love to be a resource to use with the assurance that no information would be given to your opponents :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)