Resource PUWC Team Dump

Specs

Getting in your own way
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
UUPL Champion
puwc art.png

Art by: AmirAlexander

With PUWC being over, this is a place that players/builders can dump their teams in. Explain why you used what you did, the thought process, maybe some cool sets you had planned to use but never got the chance to, anything!

Specs

Getting in your own way
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
UUPL Champion
1609106261710.png Click for import

Guess I'll drop this here, fun HO that didn't take very long in actuality to make but did very well in tests and seems good enough to do some stuff in the future.

Removal in ORAS is super abusable. The fast removers have obvious weaknesses, and the slower bulkier removers are quite passive so taunt/the threat of draining momentum get in their way. This team was designed to do this exactly. Set up webs, keep up the pressure with the rest of the 5, and win very fast. S/o to gum who really liked the look of basc, and we ended up using it 2 weeks in a row and won with it. Electrode taunts and volts around to get in Trev and Bear easier. Trev is a very dangerous mon, especially sub variants. If you let it get out of control with sub + PuP or don't have an immediate way of answering it (Leaf, Vullaby, ect.) it will do a lot. Ursaring never has a bad MU, it will be a threat no matter what, and quick feet + webs means random scarfers aren't ever safe. Kadabra fits on just about any HO I've ever built, and does anything you need it to do. It answers just about everything that could be threatening to the rest, random T wave is nice, overall great addition if you're looking to build hard offense.

jcbc

lechonk is so cute
is a Pre-Contributor
Guess I'll drop some teams while i'm at it. I wanted to post some more than the amount i'm going to drop but SS meta changed so drastically that it's kinda pointless to post them by now.
ORAS team:
Screenshot_20201228-013254_Chrome.jpg
This was a team i builded for ORAS and never got to be showed in the big state so i just wantedcto share it. Very fun to use altho it's kinda standard.

SM team:
Screenshot_20201228-014312_Chrome.jpg

This one is more personal, it was the first team i made for SM PU back when it was current gen and i personally had a lot of fun using it. And unlike other screens team it can handle well super fat teams as its breaking power is really high. You can edit it yourself and flip the Z move as you wish honestly, i just feel like having it in carracosta is the best.

Bonus Track:
Screenshot_20201228-013324_Chrome.jpg
Here's my "christmas gift" for y'all. A free team that i'm personally enjoying a lot rn. It's selfexplainable but if someone cant tell it himself, you just trap your opponent into an infinite volturn vortex until you win.

But i just didn't do this post to post 3 team and call it a day. I wanted to say ty to europe team for making it so fun as always, i'm glad i met so many new cute persons while also teaming with some other known faces. I know i kinda didnt lived up to the expectatives i put myself into but oh well, can't really say it was my fault right? jaja... But specially i want to mention my friend tlenit altho you're a bit of a nerd, you know i apreciate you a lot and i want to thx you for the oportunity you've gave me and its always a pleasure for me to team and chat with you.

With this said, i'm out. See y'all in the next PU tour ^^

Leni

formerly tlenit
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RUPL Champion
Ciao,

Heres some fun squads that ended up coming out of the factory during this tournament. Nothing too serious, but some of them actually was used for whatever reason. Some of them includes some spicy sets and im not interested in making own post for them so hera you go, enjoy (click sprites to open teams):

:dunsparce: :tangela: :rotom-fan: :silvally-poison: :clefairy: :sableye: SS Tony x ParaFlinch (used)
Tony wanted some crackhead stuff and I obviously was down to deliver. Tonys order had dunsparce and what else could you do with other than ParaFlinch everything? Sableye's fling was something new that ended up working quite well while testing actually, not the worst thing i have come up with. Lagging tail rotom-fan is there to catch togedemarus and getting sub up reliably against it with Duns.

:lilligant: :frosmoth: :qwilfish: :lunatone: :whiscash: :ninetales: SS WP QD+Sub lilli HO w. underrated threats (not used)
this was alternative team for same week Tony wanted use team above. This is one of those "two separate teams in one" to first part break enough for other to clean up. Is it viable? Not really, but was fun to roll with. Includes mons that you usually dont end up using

:wishiwashi: :accelgor: :audino: :togedemaru: :golbat: :Mr. Rime: SS lets gamble and play 4v4, pick ur sacks (used)
This squad is spicy as hell. Promised to use specs audino and wanted to add some extra spice. Ended using final gambit accelgor into scarf Mr.Rime copycatting final gambit and playing 4v4. Came up with work up-sub-magnetrise togedemaru by accident same time to 1v1 sandacondas, but turned out it can beat runerigus too which clutched the game

:archen: :golbat: :lurantis: :togedemaru: :rotom-fan: :persian-alola: SS lets pivot Archen in! (not used)
archen was lowkey viable in the old meta and wanted to use it quite a bit, but then its freaking archen

:sawsbuck: :ninjask: :lanturn: :aggron: :silvally-fairy: :stunfisk: SM tlenit x ParaFlinch (used)
very simple team that i cant suggest to anyone. Get the flinches, paras and dodges and u win. didnt get? insta lose then

Had blast with team europe and dont regret giving my spot to others. Would definitely do it again with this type of squad and its absolute blast to see JCBC playing, next time you get them dawg!

Last edited:

SergioRules

||blimp||
is a Community Contributor
Hello! I've been doing my best over the past year or so to get more involved with BW PU and try to help develop the metagame. PUWC was the first chance I've had to really show that in a more serious setting than just the casual games I'd normally play. Overall, being on Team Midwest was definitely one of the most positive and friendly environments from a team tour I've had. Both Bag of Trixx and Brandon were great managers and helped us all to keep trying new things and stay motivated even in weeks where it seemed pretty bleak. So thanks Midwest, even though I didn't have the greatest performance, it was still a ton of fun and I hope we can all do it again next year :blobnom:

I did my best as the starting BW player and even though I fell off in later weeks, I had tons of fun building and playing this tour. So without further ado, here's my team dump, click mons for pokepastes.

Week 1 - Lilburr's Scraggy Team

vs Serene Grace - Win - Replay
Not too much to say about the team itself, almost everyone who plays BW PU has some sort of version of this team, as you can clearly see since this game was actually an almost mirror match with the only difference being Simipour and Vanilluxe. I figured this was a fairly safe bring for week 1 as it seemed like Serene hadn't played too much BW before and this team just works so well. I did get a little lucky with a Crunch crit into a speed tie Drain Punch crit, but the game still was fairly in my favor at that point. (Also this should definitely just be a sample team).

Week 2 - Ursaring Paraspam

vs Anty - Win - Replay
I wanted to make this team pretty simply because I thought Ursaring was underrated and Quick Feet's ability to outspeed non-Choice Scarf Simipour was one of the reasons why which is showcased perfectly in this game. The game itself could've gone a lot quicker if I had done some simple calcs and realized that the Zweilous had to be Adamant but it still went okay. Even with Quick Feet, Ursaring is still kind of slow so pairing it with bulky triple Thunder Wave support helps against scarfers and faster Pokemon in general like Jumpluff. Kecleon was one of the weird picks for the team but thanks to Color Change, it helps to check some otherwise problematic Pokemon for the team like Beheeyem and Scarf Simipour. Klang, SpDef Throh, and Natu form a nice defensive core with two of the three spreading para and providing momentum to get Ursaring in safely and have its orb activate. Shiftry was in the last slot but it could honestly be just about any other strong breaker that appreciates the paralysis the rest of the team provides.

Week 3 - Shed Shell Vileplume+Sneasel

vs EviGaro - Loss - Replay
This team is one I'm really proud of just because we super counter-teamed and didn't even have it come into play lol. Trixx was very much the person who mostly made this team around the idea of Shed Shell Vileplume+Choice Band Sneasel to bait and reverse trap Gothorita, which we almost 100% knew Evi was going to bring. That ended up not mattering because our specially EV'd Mantine (outspeeds offensive Mawile and always 3HKOs SpDef Scraggy with Air Slash) was able to Toxic stall Gothorita with a double Protect. The game ended up coming down to some mostly unavoidable hax, as even though Sludge Bombing with Vileplume was a better play, it still wasn't guaranteed and was only marginally better chances than hitting one of two Sleep Powders and not triggering Effect Spore.

Week 4 - Choice Specs Swoobat

vs ggggd - Loss - Replay
I stand by this being a really good team that MZ helped build. Specs Unaware Swoobat is able to break through a lot of stuff like CM Duosion, and has a niche of being a Psychic that can actually hit Steels well thanks to Heat Wave. Also being naturally faster than the monkeys is always good. Paired it with Spikes to help wear down switch-ins like Scraggy and Klang, Monferno to help further deal with Dark-types, Klang to handle Simipour and the Psychics, and Rock Polish Torterra as a late game cleaner after the rest of the team punches some good holes into its resists like Jumpluff and Vileplume. Pablo ended up bringing a pretty cheesy team with AgilityPass into Coil Dunsparce and I made a bad assumption that it would be max Speed and outspeed Swoobat.

Week 5 - Recycled Pablo Team

vs Decem - Win - Replay
This team was actually a team that ggggd posted in our PUPL team chat. I was originally supposed to play vivalospride but they subbed out for Decem. Since no one on our team knew if Decem actually played BW PU, we wanted to have something that would be good vs rain just in case, and this was the best team I found with a Scarf Golduck on it. Got a little lucky in the game with a few Hurricane dodges but it was hard for double dance Fraxure to lose once the Swanna got Tricked. Also learned that Infiltrator doesn't go through Substitute in gen 5 so you should always use Chlorophyll Jumpluff.

Week 6/Semis - Double Dragon

vs Averardo - Loss - Replay
This team went through a few changes before reaching the final product, but what came out was something I liked a lot. I had wanted to use an offensive Zweilous for a few weeks before this but hadn't finished a team I felt comfortable with until this one. SD Monferno is a mon that really appreciates Zweilous' ability to handle the Psychics like Beheeyem and Gothorita and support Jumpluff helps provide both with some good support in broken BW sleep and Encore for safer switch-ins. Defensive Mawile does the same stuff it always does. Sub Nasty Plot Simipour (which imo is the best set atm) was here because looking at Italy's replays it 6-0'd practically every past team and it would've done the same here if I had gotten the play right on turn 6 and clicked Substitute instead. Scarf Gabite was added as a cleaner that worked really well with Zweilous and formed the titular Double Dragon core. This game would've been a lot better for me for obvious reasons when you watch it (like missing a turn 1 Sleep Powder and 3 Outrages), but I still thought it was a fairly good game in the end. Averardo had a really cool team with the double Scarfers and a Bulk Up SpDef Ursaring that wouldn't have died to even Monferno's Close Combat at +1 Defense.

In summary, play BW PU. It's fun I promise.

Bag of Trixx

I like to call it a passion
is a Pre-Contributor
PUWC Team Dump
sorry for the long post kek

Howdy!

First and foremost, I just want to personally congratulate Team Canada + NE for winning the first edition of PUWC. Being such a formidable team filled with not only impressive players but strong building support from the likes of Gum, Specs, EviGaro, soulgazer, and Heysup - I would absolutely expect nothing less than incredible competition from this team. So from the Captain of the other finalist team, thanks for making finals one hell of a week for PU. Building for this tournament to inevitably face you guys in finals was certainly worth it and next year, I'll be sure to see you in finals once more and Team MidBEST is walking away victorious.

Secondly, I want it to really be known how genuinely proud I am of our team to have overcome the obstacles and the doubt by achieving such a glorious feat. Making it to 2nd place is by no means a letdown because we as a team succeeded in putting Team Midwest on the map as one of the strongest competitors PU has had and THAT is nothing shy of impressive. Each and every person on our team was excellent and having several newer people to the PU tournament scene introducing themselves as some of the top players in the tier really goes to show. kythr and Confide you guys were straight GAS this whole tournament (confide did I use it right?) and I cannot wait to see you two compete in some other tours in the near future. atomicllamas and Expulso I'm so happy I got to team up with both of you once again because you two were also fantastic when it came to providing building support and winning exactly when you needed to. Ya'll were phenomenal through and through. MZ and brewfasa you guys already know how tremendous it was teaming with you and not ever having to questions your abilities as players or supporting yourselves in the respective gens you played. You two without a doubt, made my job a whole lot easier LOL. Ho3nConfirm3d honestly brother thank you for really stepping up to the plate and swinging every chance you needed to. Having someone as flexible and wonderful to team with as you really helped me out in more ways than this post describes (you know what I'm referring to). SergioRules, you genuinely impressed me. Not only as being a fantastic partner and positive person in the discord, helping out in EVERY single generation with tests/builds/ideas/encouragement, and also being the starter for Midwest in the unknown territory referred to as BW PU whilst trying to innovate and modernize the tier with every game you played shows me a tremendous skillset you possess. I cannot wait to see what you come up with next. avarice you are without a doubt, one of the most crucial backbones to the team and showed outstanding prowess as a player, as a builder, and a friend. You are without a doubt the honorary 3rd captain of Midwest and there literally is no Team Midwest without you.

Lastly, I want to thank Brandon for convincing me to sign up as a manager alongside him. Literally this thought never crossed my mind in doing so as I figured I'd just be a player and a builder and that's it. I'm new to the whole competitive scene for Smogon-related stuff but together we put up an incredibly impressive repertoire as well as polished up our resumes for future tournament engagements. Outside of that, dude you really helped me a lot when I was in a dark place and needed some time to myself as you took over for semifinals and finals. I will be forever thankful for that. Also starry blanket same goes for you. You are truthfully, honestly, one of the best people I've met through this experience and had the pleasure to team up with and I strongly acknowledge your abilities as a former captain for all of the advice given to me and the rest of the team. I cannot wait to see whichever team you wish to manage next and as Captain of PUWC Team Midwest: I'll vouch for your future endeavors as being an excellent nomination for managing said team(s).

As for the team dump, here it is!

DPP PU

1609296048666.png

This team was inspired by a team I built for PUPL revolving around DD Tect Whiscash + a fast Fire type (Monferno w/ Scarf) alongside a trio of defensive pivots through Muk / Tangela / Metang in order to check virtually anything that stands in Whiscash's way before attempting to sweep. (original team here) However, brewfasa decided to take that balance-ish / bulky offensive-ish build toward a different approach and make the team much more combative vs the Grass types and punish opposing bulky teams with Toxic Spikes support. Beedrill was truly the star of this team. Although a highly disregarded pick in DPP PU, Beedrill was excellent on this team for its ability to punish all Grass types in the tier thanks to quad resisting Grass as well as ignoring all damaging moves Victreebel wants to go for, as well as baiting in Poison types with the Toxic Spikes in order to provide momentum with U-turn so that way Whiscash can get in much more safely. It was also intended as a wait to bait Gastrodon so that way Bellossom or Power Herb Solarbeam Rapidash could punish even further, making Whiscash evermore dangerous. This team was truly terrifying and brewfasa really showed off with this team.

BW PU

1609296089918.png

This core I created was actually intended to be used vs either EviGaro or Lilburr, whomever we faced first in the tournament. As Sergio stated, the premise of the team is to use Mixed Defensive Vileplume holding a Shed Shell to bait in opposing Gothorita and allow us to freely switch into Sneasel so we can reverse-trap the Goth with Choice Band Pursuit in order to make sure our Simipour/Scraggy check stays around long-term. I felt confidently in this strategy vs either of the two top BW PU players because of how similarly their team styles are to the other as well as how effective "Goth trapping + Scraggy winning" is in the tier. Funnily enough Mantine also served this role as being both a check to non-HP Electric Simipour as well as Scraggy, so the defensive core of Mantine-Vileplume sounds quite fantastic. Although we did not win this game, the strategy behind the team definitely seemed like it would have worked as predicted because EviGaro did in fact bring the Gothorita + Simipour core for their match.

EV spread on Vileplume was so it always lives 2 Ice Beams from non-LO Simipour as well as outspeeds Scraggy, whilst putting the rest into Defense in order to better take on Torterra, specifically so Jolly Earthquake never 2HKOs. EV spread on Mantine guarantees a 3HKO on SpDef Scraggy with Air Slash as well as outspeeds Adamant Mawile. Sneasel can also opt for Frustration > Ice Shard on the more offensive version, in order to punish Simipour as well as Tentacool. Low Kick is to punish the Steels like Mawile and Klang.

After the game, I was in a VC with Evi and asked her what she thought about the team and she thought it was wonderful. However, she felt the team could have had a much more offensive approach to it because "balance teams don't quite work well in BW PU". So after this conversation, she and I alongside Sergio revamped the team to become a more offensive build. Here is Lure Plume + CB Sneasel 2.0.

ORAS PU

1609296127749.png

Playing vs my friend Specs and studying his previous games, I knew I wanted to bring Trevenant. It's extremely underrated and provides teams with excellent wallbreaking capabilities and completely shuts down certain teams. Especially what Specs ended up bringing. Trevenant in theory was able to entirely dismantle Specs' team composed of AACM Duosion and Bouffalant. He also had a Mawile, Simipour, and a Mr. Mime, however the Mawile and Simipour would have hopefully been dealt with thanks to Choice Scarf Gabite and Zebstrika and the Mr. Mime could have been worn down with Cryo so that way eventually Zeb, Mawile, or Gabite could deal with it or even Trev lives 1 and can OHKO with Shadow Claw. This was the thought process going into the game, however I had to be fearful of CB Bouff Pursuit trapping my Trev assuming I locked myself into Shadow Claw or Horn Leech. Because of this mindset, I ended up blundering the game and let the Duosion get out of control, despite it in theory not being able to do anything vs me. Turned out, I psyched myself out of the game as it surprisingly wasn't Bouffalant with Pursuit at all. I did get considerably lucky though and was bailed out with a Shadow Claw crit from Trev, which basically sealed the game for me from there because I had enough answers for everything else on his team. Unfortunate way to win the game, but the prep was definitely there for the matchup regardless.

I can't remember exactly what the EV spread on Cryogonal was for, but I know the HP and Defense were so it always lives exactly 1 Sucker Punch from Pawniard as well as OHKOs with HP Fighting with the given SpA. EV spread on Trevenant was so it always outspeeds Adamant Mawile. Hidden Power Water was on Zebstrika specifically for Golem and Camerupt, as Camerupt is a major burden for this team.

1609296153259.png

This team was inspired actually from one of my DPP PU teams as well as an iteration on KangaSpikes - but for ORAS. It looks strange, as both Purugly and Relicanth are not typically used anymore (or at all for that matter lol) but the premise of the team was to use the Spikes to cripple things down into Relicanth range so that way Purugly can neatly clean up late-game. However, I did not play my endgame well enough to secure the Purugly win as I never set Spikes up for the Purugly to have been as effective as it could have been that game. I didn't consider Pawniard to have been threatening to the team in order for me to make the change to offensive Spikes Roselia with HP Fighting or Ground, nor to have kept my Camerupt healthy enough to have been able to combat Rotom-Frost better. Because of this, it was a loss for me. However I still really enjoyed the concept of the team and would definitely like to take another approach to this offensive team.

1609296172493.png

This is about as standard as current ORAS PU can get. Utilize Curse Muk to be a default check to several special attackers in the tier such as Choice Scarf Rotom-Frost, Simipour, Simisage, and Clefairy whilst also being a win con on its own once Probopass traps the Steel types that Muk can do nothing versus. I paired Probopass with an excellent defensive core of Vibrava + Politoed in order to make sure I'm decently covered vs strong Grounds like Golem as well as having a good Floatzel check. Missy and Stoutland round out the team to handle Ghost types who can stall Muk, such as Dusclops. This is a super simple team to utilize in ORAS PU and handles a majority of the tier, as well as was an excellent change of pace for me as a player because Offense was not working well for me at this point. I slowed down the game with this team, and rather comfortably won with excellent pivoting around with Stoutland and Vibrava so that way Misdreavus could clean late-game.

EV Spread on Politoed is so that way it always outspeeds Adamant Golem and OHKOs SpDef Golem with Scald. The Speed is also so that way it outspeeds Monferno at +1, assuming Politoed is ever tricked a Choice Scarf from the likes of Grumpig / Mr. Mime / Rotom-Frost / etc.

1609296186991.png

Arbok was something I'd wanted to use the entire tournament, because it's the other setup Poison type in the tier similarly to Muk however it doesn't require having Probopass to trap the Steels thanks to it's coverage in Earthquake. Because of this freed up team slot, I decided to pair it with good offensive partners to handle its weaknesses. Misdreavus and Cacturne fit the slots excellently, especially with the remaining mons in Chinchou to handle Rotom-Frost, Choice Scarf Swanna to be good cleaner after Arbok has dented everything, and Gabite to provide defensive support vs Monferno as well as a Stealth Rocker. This was a fairly simple team to use and covers a lot of the meta nicely, only fearing something like OTR Beheeyem. That was the concept of the team and it worked extraordinarily well in testing, but Finch got bailed in his game as soon as Arbok got the full para on the Basculin when going for Sucker Punch, as this would have put Basc in range of Cacturne's Sucker or Swanna's Hurricane meaning it could have Defogged later and never had to take the HP Electric in order to Defog - forcing Cacturne to try and win earlier than desired. Despite this unfortunate sequence in the game, it came down to some T-wave + Sucker Punch mindgames which is always cool to see.

SwSh PU

I'm not going to be posting all of the teams I'd made for SwSh PU - especially the newer meta teams we made that were not used in PUWC finals so they can potentially be used in LTPL, etc. - because the old meta for PU is just too unrelated to the current meta and all of those teams are simply unviable at this point and would need incredible revision. That, and I literally do not remember what all the specific EV spreads and everything were for kek.

1609296212760.png

The concept behind this team was actually an interesting take on the meta as a whole. Currently, weather is incredibly powerful in the tier as well as strong Fighting types and bulky Water types. I didn't feel comfortable passing Confide a Sand-based team utilizing some sort of Sand sweeper unless it was going to be Sigilyph. I don't think Sand sweepers (unless they are Sigilyph thanks to Magic Guard as well as being a quad resist to Fighting so it fits perfectly on that team archetype) are incredibly useful in the current meta. More than likely, if a Sand team is going to have a Sand sweeper like Lycanroc, it is going to be pressured far too much by the Waters, Grasses, fast Fightings, and opposing Rock types such as Vaporeon, Vileplume, Passimian, and Regirock. So instead, I took a different approach with the team and by foregoing an abuser which is more than likely incapable of sweeping in Sand, I wanted an incredibly powerful breaker who appreciates the additional chip damage provided by the Sand, and to abuse that mon in particular as much as possible. That, is where Duraludon comes into the equation. Duraludon, although not surprising, is such an insanely strong breaker as well as it has a good Speed with decent enough coverage to handle what it's intended to break for SD Virizion and Choice Scarf Passimian to clean up late-game. Being able to wear down Vileplume, force Vaporeon into Wish, Lanturn into scouting for Draco, etc. - this was all more than ideal for the fighting duo. SpDef Flame Body Talonflame fit excellent role compression on this team for not only being an offensive Fighting check, a decent enough SpDef pivot on weaker Special Attackers such as Ribombee, Whimsicott, and Vileplume, a Ground immune, a crucial part of the Volt-Turn core with Rotom and Pass, and provided the team with additional chip damage through Will-O-Wisp to make it easier for Duraludon. Rotom fit a similar role to Talonflame - as another offensive pivot on Fighting types, but also gave us a good Sigilyph check thanks to Hex, Defog support so that way our Passimian isn't worn down by Rocks + our Sand, more additional chip damage with Will-O-Wisp, another Ground immune, a Fighting immune, a Flying resist from opposing SpDef Talonflame, and a good way to bait Knock Off so that way Virizion could get a free +1 thanks to Justified. This team worked spectacularly in testing and Confide played his game flawlessly with it.

EV spread on Gigalith is so it outspeeds Coalossal and still takes Expanding Force from Indeedee decently well. EV spread on Talonflame is so it outspeeds Max 110s such as Archeops.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)