[QC 0/1] Dragapult

Itchy

take all my data, what will you find?
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

Dragapult @ Life Orb
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Shadow Ball
- Hydro Pump
- U-turn

While holding the Life Orb, Dragapult fights to the death in DOU! With its amazing Speed tier and decent Special Attack, Dragapult aims to KO key offensive threats. Draco Meteor serves as its hard-hitting STAB option, as it outspeeds and blasts through Naganadel and Urshifu-R. Draco Meteor also does plenty to non-resistant targets, at the cost of dropping Special Attack after its use, so be careful! Shadow Ball is a safer option, hitting various targets such as Tapu Fini, Celesteela, Genesect, and Mew for neutral or super effective damage, whittling them down for partners. Hydro Pump allows Dragapult to OHKO Landorus and dent threats such as Heatran and Diancie in a pinch. All of these factors coalesce to make Dragapult a premier offensive Pokemon, nabbing crucial KOes to turn the tides of battle. However, Dragapult is not unstoppable. It needs to outspeed opposing teams, so opposing Tailwind and Trick Room are tough. Bulky partners that function well in Trick Room, such as Porygon2, Volcanion, and Incineroar help bridge this gap, slowing down Tailwind teams and meeting opposing Trick Room teams on even footing. Dragapult also struggles to consistently damage Fire- and Fairy-types, which is why Dragapult is also commonly seen with Nihilego and Urshifu-R.

Check out Dragapult in action!
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8doublesou-1534963049-aavy7l37idkt7qwogapwbpb4y3gi1hupw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8doublesou-1534562619

Last edited:

zoe

Tragic Decision
is an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnus
DOU & Discord Head
no

• The main thing I see with this is how it just seems like a description of the moves Dragapult carries on this set over saying what its purpose is in the metagame, that being an attacker who can instantly threaten several top offensive Pokemon (Naganadel, Urshifu-R, etc.) with its high speed and decent power. That should be the main focus of the spotlight.
  • Shadow Ball is just really good neutral coverage, its not necessarily intended to hit anything specific.
I know its short but I really need the core of the spotlight to be correct before I can go over the content. lmk wherever when you finished.

zoe

Tragic Decision
is an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnus
DOU & Discord Head
ok so.

I feel like you need to effectively convey 3 things in a spotlight.

1. What the set does.

This one can be pretty straightforward. You just want to say what the set does, simple as that. You do that in the second line.

2. How the set does it.

For this one, you need to go in depth as to why the set is able to have aforementioned niche. Some examples would be like Heatran being able to function as a strong attacker under Tailwind because of its high Special Attack and Eruption, Urshifu-R is an amazing physical attacker because of its ability to ignore Intimidate combined with Unseen Fist, etc. For Dragapult, it would be its high speed allowing it to naturally outrun those offensive threats immediately and STAB combination allowing it to KO those threats while still packing excellent neutral coverage.e (This is a very watered down example please don't use this). The key is going into depth as to how it does it. It's hard to explain how, but i'd recommend referencing other spotlights to get a general view of what I'm talking to about, but I would heavily advise against doing what you did and making the moves the focus of the spotlight. You can reference them, like how Shadow Ball gives Dragapult great neutral coverage, but i'd try and avoid mentioning them unless they're a core reason for the Pokemon's niche.

3. How it helps the teams it's found on.

For this one you want to explain what the teams it's found on give to the mon, and vice versa. You can use specific Pokemon for this too and then tie in the teams (this is probs the better route tbh).

If you need any clarification, you know how to reach me

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)