EV Training Pokémon in Gen 8 [GP 2/2] {QC 2/2}

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Title: EV Training Pokémon in Gen 8

Introduction

In this article, I will discuss Effort Value (EV) training, a mechanic that was introduced in the first Generation 3 games approximately 17 years ago.
I will go over the general basics of how and where to efficiently EV train, including calculations and concrete examples, before I then move on to explain the different methods in more depth and how to make corrections in case something goes wrong. By the end of this article, you should be able to make use of EV training in order to unlock the full potential of your Pokémon during your journey across the Galar region. Everything I will mention over the course of this article can be done in both versions of the games, and no Nintendo Switch Online membership is required.

Basics

A Pokémon can earn a maximum of 510 EVs, 508 of which actually matter, and maximally 252 EVs can be invested into a single stat. At level 100, a Pokémon will have one extra stat point for every 4 EVs that were invested into the stat. EVs are traditionally earned when gaining Exp. Points (EXP) by defeating Pokémon in battles. This does not only apply to Pokémon that you have defeated during random encounters in the wild, but also to Pokémon that you defeated during Trainer battles (excluding local or online battles against real players, since they do not give EXP!).

However, do not panic if the Pokémon you want to EV train has already reached the maximum level of 100 and is hence no longer able to level up further.
A Pokémon's level definitely mattered in the Generation 3 and Generation 4 games back in the day, as said Pokémon still had to level up in order to benefit from the earned EVs, which excluded Pokémon at level 100; however, this was changed ever since the Generation 5 games. Pokémon can nowadays enjoy the effects of EV training immediately after earning EXP, without having to level up first.

Below you can find a list of useful EV training hotspots in the Galar region:

Stat:Pokémon:EVs Earned:Locations:Encounter Rate:Odds of Encountering a Pokémon Giving the Desired EVs in This Hotspot:Weather:
HP
Skwovet

Caterpie

Hoothoot​

1​
Route 1 (Overworld)
Route 1 (Random Encounter)

50%
40%

15%

5%​
60% (Random Encounter)
50% (Overworld)​
All weather

All weather

All weather​
Attack
Chewtle​
1​
Route 2 - Lakeside (Fishing)
40%​
40%​
All weather​
Defense
Rolycoly​
1​
Route 3 (Overworld, close to the first Galar Mine)
99%​
99%​
All weather​
Special Attack
Gastly

Oddish​

1​
Watchtower Ruins (Overworld)

Dappled Grove (Overworld)
60%
60%
50%

60%
60%​
60% (Sandstorm)
60% (Fog)
50% (Thunderstorm)

60% (Normal Weather)
60% (Overcast)​
Sandstorm
Fog
Thunderstorm

Normal Weather
Overcast​
Special Defense
Gossifleur

Blipbug​

1​
Route 2 - Lakeside (Random Encounter)

Route 2 - Lakeside (Overworld)
35%

30%
10%​
45% (Random Encounter)
30% (Overworld)​
All weather​
Speed
Magikarp

Arrokuda

Barraskewda​

2​
Route 2 - Main Area (Fishing)

Route 2 - Lake (Surfing)

Route 2 - Lake (Surfing)
80%

70%

28%​
98% (Surfing)
80% (Fishing)​
All weather​

Ultimately, the table above sums up the most convenient places for EV training with only Pokémon that can be found in both versions of the games, all while keeping the weather dependence at a strict minimum. However, you can use a neat exploit that I am going to explain in further detail subsequently that allows you to skip one day at a time until you get the desired weather. However, if the Pokémon you want to EV train is already infected with the Pokérus, a useful mechanic that I will later explain, I advise you to put it into a PC Box, in order to prevent it from becoming cured while skipping one or more days!

However, before we move on, I wanted to share a couple of generally helpful tips and tricks that I can recommend from years of personal experience:
  • Unfortunately, the games do not show you the exact EVs that you have invested into a Pokémon. For this reason, I highly recommend physically keeping track of every time you defeat a Pokémon either through a notepad app or with a pen and a paper.
  • If your Pokémon's move has a lot of Power Points (PP), then you can check the amount of used PP in order to keep track of the number of defeated Pokémon.
  • Because the Exp. Share distributes the earned EXP among the Pokémon in your party, this means they also all earn the same amount of EVs. EV training multiple Pokémon at once is hence possible.
  • You can check if your Pokémon has earned all 252 available EVs in a stat by opening the summary screen and pressing the X button in the stats tab. A yellow graph indicates that not all of the EVs have been invested yet, whereas a blue graph indicates that all 510 EVs have been invested. If there are sparkles floating around the stat, then this means that you have successfully maxed out the EVs in this stat.
  • Alternatively, you can also check if your Pokémon has earned all 510 available EVs by showing your Pokémon to the lady in the house to the right of Hammerlocke's central Pokémon Center. She will award the Effort Ribbon to every Pokémon with maxed out EVs.
Considering maxing out a stat can take a quite while if you have to defeat 252 Pokémon (1 EV * 252 = 252 EVs), I am now going to use the next couple of paragraphs to show you how you can significantly speed up the EV training process.

Pokérus

Before I talk about the various items that make EV training a lot more efficient, let me introduce you to an incredibly helpful mechanic that has existed since the original Generation 2 games: the Pokérus. This virus can be transmitted to the Pokémon at the front of your party if it happens to defeat a wild Pokémon that carries it. Alternatively, the virus can also spread either by capturing the wild Pokémon or by running from it. There is unfortunately no way of telling whether or not a wild Pokémon carries the virus when battling it, but you will be able to tell that your Pokémon has caught it by checking for a pink smiley face and the "POKÉRUS" tag to the left of the Galar region mark on its summary screen. Additionally, the kind nurse at the Pokémon Center will also bring it to your attention when you try to heal one or more infected Pokémon for the first time. She will say: "Oh... It looks like your Pokémon may be infected with the Pokérus. Little is known about the Pokérus, except that it is a microscopic life-form that attaches itself to Pokémon. While infected, Pokémon are said to grow exceptionally well.".

Now, you might be wondering: What does "grow exceptionally well" mean?
The answer is quite simple: This virus has the same effect as the Macho Brace, an item that I will talk about later, meaning that, while a Pokémon is infected with the virus, it will gain twice as many EVs as it normally would.

This means, for example, that while it would normally take 252 defeated Pokémon to max out a stat without the Pokérus (1 EV * 252 = 252 EVs), it would now only take 126 Pokémon to max out a stat with the Pokérus ((1 EV * 2) * 126 = 252 EVs).

However, before we go move on, I wanted to share a couple more helpful tips and tricks regarding the Pokérus:
  • The Pokérus is incredibly rare (the odds are approximately 5 times lower than encountering a full odds shiny Pokémon, or a 3 in 65,536 chance!). However, do not let the rarity of the virus discourage you. Many communities, such as ours, for example, share the virus among their members so that everyone can benefit from it. Sharing and doing a good deed can also be contagious after all, and we gladly help out players that ask in our Wi-Fi sub-forum and on our related Wi-Fi Discord server.
  • The Pokérus can come in 4 different strains, meaning that it can stay active on a Pokémon for either 1, 2, 3, or even 4 days before it gets cured. Unfortunately, there is no way of telling which one of the 4 strains you got, except by letting the clock tick over midnight. I also recommend always keeping a couple of infected Pokémon in a PC Box as a sort of backup. You will know when a Pokémon is cured when the aforementioned "POKÉRUS" tag disappears and the crossed out pink smiley face becomes a regular pink smiley face. The virus will be cured once the clock of your console reaches midnight.
  • You can spread the Pokérus to other Pokémon the same way you originally got it: through wild encounters. First, you put both the already infected Pokémon and the one that you want to infect in your party, and then you run into wild encounters before running from them until the virus has successfully spread. It can sometimes take a few attempts.
  • You can prevent the Pokérus from being cured by storing the infected Pokémon in the PC. There, the virus will stay active indefinitely. I emphasize again that I highly recommend keeping a couple of infected Pokémon around somewhere in a PC Box as a sort of backup.
  • While a cured Pokémon is no longer able to spread the virus further, it will still be able to benefit from a doubled EVs gain in the future if you decide to re-EV train it.
  • However, while the Pokérus can be used in combination with the Power Items, which I will explain in further detail in the Held Items section, it has no effect when used in combination with Vitamins and Wings, other items that I am going to explain in further detail in the "Spammable" Items section below.
Considering maxing out a stat can still take quite a while if you have to defeat 126 Pokémon, I am now going to use the next two sections to show you how you can significantly speed up the EV training process.

Items

Held Items

In this section, I am going to talk about held items that can be given to a Pokémon in order to help it gain EVs even faster: the Power Items.
The Power Items, their effects, and their in-game locations are as follows:

Power Item:Increased Stat:EVs Earned:Location:
Macho Brace
Any​
Number of EVs given by a defeated Pokémon x2​
The Macho Brace can be purchased in exchange for 10 Battle Points (BP) from the League Staff lady in Hammerlocke's central Pokémon Center.
Power Weight
HP​
Number of EVs given by a defeated Pokémon + 8​
The Power Weight can be purchased in exchange for 10 Battle Points (BP) from the League Staff lady in Hammerlocke's central Pokémon Center.
Power Bracer
Attack​
The Power Bracer can be purchased in exchange for 10 Battle Points (BP) from the League Staff lady in Hammerlocke's central Pokémon Center.
Power Belt
Defense​
The Power Belt can be purchased in exchange for 10 Battle Points (BP) from the League Staff lady in Hammerlocke's central Pokémon Center.
Power Lens
Special Attack​
The Power Lens can be purchased in exchange for 10 Battle Points (BP) from the League Staff lady in Hammerlocke's central Pokémon Center.
Power Band
Special Defense​
The Power Band can be purchased in exchange for 10 Battle Points (BP) from the League Staff lady in Hammerlocke's central Pokémon Center.
Power Anklet
Speed​
The Power Anklet can be purchased in exchange for 10 Battle Points (BP) from the League Staff lady in Hammerlocke's central Pokémon Center.

Here are a few helpful calculations to further explain how the gained EVs are accumulated both with and without the Pokérus:
  • A Pokémon without the Pokérus holding the Macho Brace will earn 2 EVs each time it defeats a Pokémon giving 1 EV: (1 EV * 2 = 2 EVs).
    It will hence take you 252 EVs / 2 = 126 defeated Pokémon to max out a stat.
  • A Pokémon with the Pokérus holding the Macho Brace will earn 4 EVs each time it defeats a Pokémon giving 1 EV: ((1 EV * 2) * 2 = 4 EVs).
    It will hence take you 252 EVs / 4 = 63 defeated Pokémon to max out a stat.
  • A Pokémon without the Pokérus holding a Power Item will earn 9 EVs each time it defeats a Pokémon giving 1 EV: (1 EV + 8 = 9 EVs).
    It will hence take you 252 EVs / 9 = 28 defeated Pokémon to max out a stat.
  • A Pokémon with the Pokérus holding a Power Item will earn 18 EVs each time it defeats a Pokémon giving 1 EV: (1 EV + 8) * 2 = 18 EVs).
    It will hence take you 252 EVs / 18 = 14 defeated Pokémon to max out a stat.
Allow me to provide a further example on how to combine methods.
Not every EV spread is as straightforward as 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe or 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe.
Formats such as VGC require, for example, far more complex and calculated spreads that I am going to illustrate next:

Let us, for instance, take the Careful VGC2020 Incineroar spread: 236 HP / 116 Def / 156 SpD.
  • The HP EVs could, for example, be acquired by defeating 13 Skwovet while being infected with Pokérus and while holding a Power Weight:
    13 * 18 EVs = 234 EVs.
    Now you would simply remove the item and defeat another Skwovet to get the final 2 EVs through Pokérus alone:
    (2 * 1 EV) + 234 EVs = 236 EVs.
  • The Defense EVs could, for example, be acquired by defeating 6 Rolycoly while being infected with Pokérus and while holding a Power Belt:
    6 * 18 EVs = 108 EVs.
    Now you would simply switch the Power Belt for the Macho Brace and defeat another two Rolycoly to get the final 8 EVs:
    (((2 * 1 EV) * 2) * 2) + 108 EVs = 116 EVs.
  • The remaining 156 Special Defense EVs could be obtained by defeating 9 Gossifleur while being infected with Pokérus and while holding a Power Band:
    9 * 18 EVs = 162 EVs. Even though Incineroar would gain 162 EVs here, it will only gain 158 because the 510 maximum amount of EVs is reached.
"Spammable" Items

Vitamins

In this section, I am going to talk about one of two kinds of items that can be applied directly to your Pokémon in order to help it gain EVs quickly: the Vitamins.

Below you can find a list of all of the available Vitamins, their respective effects, and where to obtain them:

Vitamin:Increased Stat:EVs Earned:Locations:
HP Up
HP​
10​
HP Up can be purchased in exchange for 2 Battle Points (BP) each from the League Staff lady in Hammerlocke's central Pokémon Center.

HP Up can also be purchased for 10,000 Poké Dollars each at the right counter of Wyndon's southern Pokémon Center.

HP Up can also be randomly obtained after winning ranked battles in Battle Stadium.
Protein
Attack​
10​
Protein can be purchased in exchange for 2 Battle Points (BP) each from the League Staff lady in Hammerlocke's central Pokémon Center.

Protein can also be purchased for 10,000 Poké Dollars each at right counter of Wyndon's southern Pokémon Center.

Protein can also be randomly obtained after winning ranked battles in Battle Stadium.
Iron
Defense​
10​
Iron can be purchased in exchange for 2 Battle Points (BP) each from the League Staff lady in Hammerlocke's central Pokémon Center.

Iron can also be purchased for 10,000 Poké Dollars each at the right counter of Wyndon's southern Pokémon Center.

Iron can also be randomly obtained after winning ranked battles in Battle Stadium.
Calcium
Special Attack​
10​
Calcium can be purchased in exchange for 2 Battle Points (BP) each from the League Staff lady in Hammerlocke's central Pokémon Center.

Calcium can also be purchased for 10,000 Poké Dollars each at the right counter of Wyndon's southern Pokémon Center.

Calcium can also be randomly obtained after winning ranked battles in Battle Stadium.
Zinc
Special Defense​
10​
Zinc can be purchased in exchange for 2 Battle Points (BP) each from the League Staff lady in Hammerlocke's central Pokémon Center.

Zinc can also be purchased for 10,000 Poké Dollars each at the right counter of Wyndon's southern Pokémon Center.

Zinc can also be randomly obtained after winning ranked battles in Battle Stadium.
Carbos
Speed​
10​
Carbos can be purchased in exchange for 2 Battle Points (BP) each from the League Staff lady in Hammerlocke's central Pokémon Center.

Carbos can also be purchased for 10,000 Poké Dollars each at the right counter of Wyndon's southern Pokémon Center.

Carbos can also be randomly obtained after winning ranked battles in Battle Stadium.

What makes this method so fast and efficient is the fact that, ever since the Generation 8 games, these items have become usable in bulk.
While you were only able to invest a maximum of 100 EVs by clicking one Vitamin at a time in previous generations, you can freely select 26 vitamins to max out a stat in one click (26 * 10 EVs = 260 EVs), even though the maximum caps at 252.

Wings

As we have seen, the item method is undeniably faster than the aforementioned one that requires you to defeat Pokémon.
However, while the Vitamins method is especially recommendable when it comes to simple EV spreads, I am going to use this section to introduce you to another EV-raising item that can help you obtain more complex EV spreads as well: the Wings.

Below you can find a list of all of the available Wings, their respective effects, and where to obtain them:

Wing:Increased Stat:EVs Earned:Locations:
Health Wing
HP​
1​
Health Wings can be found at the shimmering places on the bridges between Route 5 and Hulbury and between Motostoke and the Motostoke Outskirts. Once you have picked up all of the Wings in one area, you will unfortunately have to wait until they respawn on the next day.
Muscle Wing
Attack​
1​
Muscle Wings can be found at the shimmering places on the bridges between Route 5 and Hulbury and between Motostoke and the Motostoke Outskirts. Once you have picked up all of the Wings in one area, you will unfortunately have to wait until they respawn on the next day.
Resist Wing
Defense​
1​
Resist Wings can be found at the shimmering places on the bridges between Route 5 and Hulbury and between Motostoke and the Motostoke Outskirts. Once you have picked up all of the Wings in one area, you will unfortunately have to wait until they respawn on the next day.
Genius Wing
Special Attack​
1​
Genius Wings can be found at the shimmering places on the bridges between Route 5 and Hulbury and between Motostoke and the Motostoke Outskirts. Once you have picked up all of the Wings in one area, you will unfortunately have to wait until they respawn on the next day.
Clever Wing
Special Defense​
1​
Clever Wings can be found at the shimmering places on the bridges between Route 5 and Hulbury and between Motostoke and the Motostoke Outskirts. Once you have picked up all of the Wings in one area, you will unfortunately have to wait until they respawn on the next day.
Swift Wing
Speed​
1​
Swift Wings can be found at the shimmering places on the bridges between Route 5 and Hulbury and between Motostoke and the Motostoke Outskirts. Once you have picked up all of the Wings in one area, you will unfortunately have to wait until they respawn on the next day.

While the Wings are also "spammable", you can only find a limited amount of them on a daily basis.
This is why I suggest combining them with Vitamins in order to obtain complex EV spreads.

Let us go back to the example of the Careful VGC2020 Incineroar spread from the Power Items paragraph: 236 HP / 116 Def / 156 SpD.
  • The HP EVs could, for example, be acquired by using 23 HP Up and 6 Health Wings:
    (23 * 10 EVs) + (6 * 1 EV) = 236 EVs.
  • The Defense EVs could, for example, be acquired by using 11 Iron and 6 Resist Wings:
    (11 * 10 EVs) + (6 * 1 EV) = 116 EVs.
  • The Special Defense EVs could be obtained by using 15 Zinc and 6 Clever Wings:
    (15 * 10 EVs) + (6 * 1 EV) = 156 EVs.
Poké Jobs

Standard Seminars

Now, despite the fact that EV training has become a lot faster and more convenient over the years, doing it manually still requires you to pay attention in order to keep track of what you are doing. However, I am going to use the following paragraphs to introduce another EV training method that, much like the Isle Evelup in Generation 7's Poké Pelago, automatically EV trains your Pokémon for you: the Poké Jobs.

You can access the Poké Jobs by talking to the Rotom PC that can be found in every single Pokémon Center across the Galar region.
While the regular Poké Jobs are cycled through on a daily basis, the EV training seminars offered by the Hammerlocke University are always available.

Below you can find a list of all of the available seminars and how many EVs can be earned:

Seminars:
HP seminar in session!​
Attack seminar in session!​
Defense seminar in session!​
Sp. Atk seminar in session!​
Sp. Def seminar in session!​
Speed seminar in session!​

You can register up to 10 Pokémon at once per seminar, and then you get to pick a time frame during which they will complete the seminar.

Here is a list of the time frames and their conversion to real time:

Time Frame:Real Time:
Whole Day​
24 hours​
Half Day​
12 hours​
Very Long​
8 hours​
Long​
4 hours​
Short​
3 hours​
Very Short​
2 hours​
Just a little​
1 hour​

Normally a Pokémon will gain 4 EVs for every completed hour, but you can increase the amount of gained EVs with the Pokérus and held items.

Below you can find a list showing you the EV gains in real time for every possible scenario:

Scenario:1 hour:2 hours:3 hours:4 hours:8 hours:12 hours:24 hours:
No Pokérus + Itemless​
4 EVs​
8 EVs​
12 EVs​
16 EVs​
32 EVs​
48 EVs​
96 EVs​
Pokérus + Itemless​
8 EVs​
16 EVs​
24 EVs​
32 EVs​
64 EVs​
96 EVs​
192 EVs​
No Pokérus + Macho Brace​
8 EVs​
16 EVs​
24 EVs​
32 EVs​
64 EVs​
96 EVs​
192 EVs​
Pokérus + Macho Brace​
16 EVs​
32 EVs​
48 EVs​
64 EVs​
128 EVs​
192 EVs​
252 EVs​
No Pokérus + Power Item​
12 EVs​
24 EVs​
36 EVs​
48 EVs​
96 EVs​
144 EVs​
252 EVs​
Pokérus + Power Item​
24 EVs​
48 EVs​
72 EVs​
96 EVs​
192 EVs​
252 EVs​
252 EVs​

Exploited Seminars

Sometimes having to wait 8, 12, or even 24 hours for seminars to finish can feel like an eternity. In the following paragraph I am going to show step-by-step how you can easily skip the waiting time by exploiting an in-game glitch. While there are alternative methods to pull this off, I decided to specifically focus on this variant, since it does not require a Nintendo Switch Online membership, and I would not want to exclude any of our readers. However, keep in mind that Game Freak can patch this exploit in the future, meaning that while it worked at the time I wrote this guide, it might unfortunately not work by the time you are reading this. So, let us not waste any time and make good use of it as long as we can!

Let us get started:
  1. Use the Rotom PC in any Pokémon Center to send up to 10 Pokémon that you want to EV train to do their seminars as you normally would.
  2. Go and find a den in the Wild Area. It can either be a den that is already active, or you can simply use a Wishing Piece to activate a currently inactive den. Both methods work.
  3. Interact with the den and click the "Invite Others" option.
  4. Press the "HOME" button to access the main menu and proceed to open the System Settings.
  5. Scroll all the way down to "System" and then pick the "Date and Time" option under "Language" and "Region".
  6. Ensure that the "Synchronize Time via Internet" option is set to "Off".
  7. Change the date on your console to the next day and click "OK" once you have done so.
  8. Press "B" to go back into the main menu and go back to your Pokémon Sword or Pokémon Shield game.
  9. Back in-game, you cancel the raid and travel to the nearest Pokémon Center.
  10. Use the Rotom PC to check the Poké Jobs and you will see the seminar(s) will have been completed.
Correcting Mistakes

Last but not least, I am going to show you how you can easily remove EVs again with the help of a certain type of berries.
This is useful if you made a mistake while EV training a new Pokémon or if you want to change the EV spread of one of your already fully EV trained Pokémon. Ever since the Generation 8 games, these berries have become usable in bulk, much like the aforementioned Vitamins and Wings. They can be found on Berry trees in the Galar region and obtained as rewards after successful Max Raid Battles. However, these berries, much like the Vitamins and Wings mentioned above, are not affected by the Pokérus!

Below you can find a list with all of the available berries, their effects, and where to get them:

Berry:Decreased Stat:EVs Removed:Secondary Effect:Berry Tree Locations:
Pomeg Berry
HP​
10​
This Berry will also raise the Pokémon's Happiness level by +10 if its level is 0-99, by +5 if its level is 100-159, and by +1 if its level is 160-255.Route 7
Bridge Field (Wild Area)
Dappled Grove (Wild Area)
Giant's Mirror (Wild Area)
Hammerlocke Hills (Wild Area)
Motostoke Riverbank (Wild Area)
Kelpsy Berry
Attack​
10​
This Berry will also raise the Pokémon's Happiness level by +10 if its level is 0-99, by +5 if its level is 100-159, and by +1 if its level is 160-255.Route 7
Bridge Field (Wild Area)
Rolling Fields (Wild Area)
Qualot Berry
Defense​
10​
Bridge Field (Wild Area)
Giant's Cap (Wild Area)
Giant's Seat (Wild Area)
Hondew Berry
Special Attack​
10​
Bridge Field (Wild Area)
North Lake Miloch
Grepa Berry
Special Defense​
10​
Bridge Field (Wild Area)
Tamato Berry
Speed​
10​
Bridge Field (Wild Area)
Giant's Cap (Wild Area)

Conclusion

This about sums up everything you need to know about EV training in Generation 8. In hindsight, when it comes to the fastest EV training method in Generation 8, then it definitely has to be the exploit method, closely followed by the method involving the Vitamins. Not only can they be purchased at incredibly low prices, but they are also "spammable" now. In this sense, Generation 8 has a huge advantage compared to the previous generations, and you should definitely not let this opportunity slide. Feel free to be creative and combine different EV training methods, especially when it comes to very specific EV spreads that require precision over speed. Now you know the various ways to efficiently unlock your Pokémon's full potential. So, what are you waiting for? Go out there and be the best trainer you can be!

Last edited:

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
Thanks MO. I'll start with a few comments of my own and tag a few people (naturally if someone else has comments and I don't tag you, you can chime in too).

Down below you can find a list of useful EV training hotspots in the Galar region:
(table)
I think it's important to also note in some regard what other Pokemon show up that will also grant you the EVs. Keep in mind, what's important is how frequently you acquire the EV, not how frequently you encounter a specific Pokemon (they are coupled, but not the same thing). In a sense, it currently feels like you are highlighting specific Pokemon and giving their encounter rates, rather than focusing on hotspots and the percentage of time you'd get certain EVs. So the encounter rates are a bit misleading. For example, Route 2 (Surfing) grants you Arrowkuda 70% of the time, but Barraskewda another 28%, which grants you 2 Spe EVs. 98% of the time you'd get Spe EVs.

On to specifics: For Attack, I'd remove the mention of Route 2 overworld for Chewtle (which is 10% I think, not 15%). If you're on Route 2, lakeside is clearly the better option so there's no reason to resort to Overworld there. If you want an alternative, I think Galar Mine 2 has promising encounter rates for Atk, given both overworld and RE, which might be faster than the frames required for fishing.

For Special Attack...in the spirit of not using weather gimmicks, I'd try to find another option (couldn't find a great one either). If you want to use weather options, I'd remove some of the lesser encounter rates for Gastly (last 4 are pretty bad) and maybe sub out some for Oddish, which is also a weather mon but fills in some of those holes. Alternatively, Route 8 isn't terrible with Snom/Snowcone and is independent of weather gimmicks so more consistent with your goal. If you really wanted to, you could even say that there are better options depending on the weather in the text and just leave it at that. At the very least try to keep the number of entries on par with the others.

This virus can be transmitted to the Pokémon at the front of your party if it happens to defeat a wild Pokémon that carries it.
Is that true? I honestly just thought it was a roll, but tbh I have no idea lol

Either way, I'd maybe specify that Pokerus doesn't double the EV effects of vitamins or wings somewhere. Same with the clock having to pass midnight for it to be "Cured".

1:21,178.6!
I'd just round up to 21179 lol. Kinda weird to have decimal odds. That said, different places have different odds so I'm really not sure what the number should be.

Additionally, the Macho Brace and the Power Items were also included in the pool of possible rewards during the special Easter Max Raid Battle Event.
This event started on the 10th of April 2020 and ended on the 16th of April 2020.
Remove since it's irrelevant now.

Make sure that you have a Wishing Piece in your bag. You can easily purchase one of these in exchange for 3000 Watts from one of the League Staff members in the Wild Area.
Not strictly required. You can do it with any active raid.

Now change the date on your console to the next day and click "OK" once you have done so.
I'd also include that you have to turn off sync with internet first. Someone is gonna get confused as to why they can't change the date cuz it's still on.

conclusion
I think it would be nice to have some statement as to what you feel is the best method to EV train. Is it just spam vitamins? Worth battling Pokemon? People will be drawn to what the fastest possible method is, so anything you can do to hightlight that will make the guide more accessible.

Great work as always MO. Any additional comments Kanon90 Eisenherz Lego Xen Christian ?

Lego

Formally LegoFigure11
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Gave it a quick skim, might revisit when I have more time later.

I'd say it's worth restating somewhere under 3. b that pokerus doesn't impact items like vitamins on wings, but i think you should also mention that it doesn't double the EVs lost by the berries either.

(the odds are 1:21179!)
Are these the actual odds? I remember it being different to this, though I can't recall the actual number. Maybe just say it's about five(?) times rarer than a shiny?

This means that you place the infected Pokémon in the first slot of your team and the Pokémon that you want to infect in the second one. Now you run into a wild encounters and run from them a couple of times until the virus has successfully spread. It can sometimes take a few attempts.
Infected mon doesn't need to be in slot 1, it can be anywhere in your party (putting it in slot 2 or another of the middle slots can increase the chance of contagion as there are two ways it can spread iirc).

That's all I've got time for now, I'll probably leave some more thoughts later. Nice job!

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Changelog:
I think it's important to also note in some regard what other Pokemon show up that will also grant you the EVs. Keep in mind, what's important is how frequently you acquire the EV, not how frequently you encounter a specific Pokemon (they are coupled, but not the same thing). In a sense, it currently feels like you are highlighting specific Pokemon and giving their encounter rates, rather than focusing on hotspots and the percentage of time you'd get certain EVs. So the encounter rates are a bit misleading. For example, Route 2 (Surfing) grants you Arrowkuda 70% of the time, but Barraskewda another 28%, which grants you 2 Spe EVs. 98% of the time you'd get Spe EVs.
I tried fixing this to the best of my abilities.

On to specifics: For Attack, I'd remove the mention of Route 2 overworld for Chewtle (which is 10% I think, not 15%). If you're on Route 2, lakeside is clearly the better option so there's no reason to resort to Overworld there. If you want an alternative, I think Galar Mine 2 has promising encounter rates for Atk, given both overworld and RE, which might be faster than the frames required for fishing.

For Special Attack...in the spirit of not using weather gimmicks, I'd try to find another option (couldn't find a great one either). If you want to use weather options, I'd remove some of the lesser encounter rates for Gastly (last 4 are pretty bad) and maybe sub out some for Oddish, which is also a weather mon but fills in some of those holes. Alternatively, Route 8 isn't terrible with Snom/Snowcone and is independent of weather gimmicks so more consistent with your goal. If you really wanted to, you could even say that there are better options depending on the weather in the text and just leave it at that. At the very least try to keep the number of entries on par with the others.
I removed Route 2 Overworld Chewtle and the lower encounter rates for Gastly and added Oddish for Special Attack, since that's indeed the trickiest one in my opinion. I can tell from personal experience. This was fixed!

Also, I added the fact that people can use the exploit to change the date that I'm explaining a bit further into the article, until they get the weather they want. Thoughts? I'll of course mention in the Pokérus paragraoh that people should place the infected Pokémon into the PC before performing it, to prevent the virus from running out. That should also show how manifold and useful this exploit it. You can combine many things presented in this guide.

Is that true? I honestly just thought it was a roll, but tbh I have no idea lol
I looked this up and it works by defeating the Pokémon, capturing it, and even running from it. This was fixed!

Either way, I'd maybe specify that Pokerus doesn't double the EV effects of vitamins or wings somewhere. Same with the clock having to pass midnight for it to be "Cured".
I added it to the bulletpoint list. This was fixed!

I'd just round up to 21179 lol. Kinda weird to have decimal odds. That said, different places have different odds so I'm really not sure what the number should be.
I changed it to Lego's suggestion: "approximately 5 times the odds of encountering a full odds shiny Pokémon". This was fixed!

Remove since it's irrelevant now.
I removed it. My original reasoning behind including this piece of information was the possibility that it might become an annual event for Easter.
This was fixed!

Not strictly required. You can do it with any active raid.
This was fixed!

I'd also include that you have to turn off sync with internet first. Someone is gonna get confused as to why they can't change the date cuz it's still on.
This was fixed!

I think it would be nice to have some statement as to what you feel is the best method to EV train. Is it just spam vitamins? Worth battling Pokemon? People will be drawn to what the fastest possible method is, so anything you can do to hightlight that will make the guide more accessible.
Absolutely, you're right. I polished the paragraph with the conclusion. I'm personally also a lot more satisfied with it now.
I wasn't sure if I should voice my own opinion(s) or not, thinking that guides are primarily meant to be neutral and informative.

This was fixed!

I'd say it's worth restating somewhere under 3. b that pokerus doesn't impact items like vitamins on wings, but i think you should also mention that it doesn't double the EVs lost by the berries either.
This was fixed!

Are these the actual odds? I remember it being different to this, though I can't recall the actual number. Maybe just say it's about five(?) times rarer than a shiny?
This was fixed!

Infected mon doesn't need to be in slot 1, it can be anywhere in your party (putting it in slot 2 or another of the middle slots can increase the chance of contagion as there are two ways it can spread iirc).
This was fixed!

Last edited:

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
Also, I added the fact that people can use the exploit to change the date that I'm explaining a bit further into the article, until they get the weather they want. Thoughts? I'll of course mention in the Pokérus paragraoh that people should place the infected Pokémon into the PC before performing it, to prevent the virus from running out. That should also show how manifold and useful this exploit it. You can combine many things presented in this guide.
Yeah that sounds good. Weather is terrible.

Regarding the mons table, I'd still like to see some mention of other encounters that'd boost your odds, otherwise people will likely only fight the ones you list. For example.
  • HP: Route 1 RE also has Caterpie and Hoothoot which add another 20% (15% +5% respectively).
  • Atk: Keep in mind Scraggy is Sword only (it's replaced by Croagunk in Shield). Other than that, you have Binacle and Chewtle to boost your odds a bit for the RE and overworld. Also, not sure what you mean by NA for the weather, but it's All for them too.
  • SpD gets you Lotad (shield; unfort seedot isn't an even trade) and Blipbug. Their individual encounter rates aren't great, but they make the process faster.
Separate note, by "spammable" do you just mean that you can use multiple at once?

Anyway, think that's all I have. Good on my end otherwise but sounds like lego might have a bit more.

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
Regarding the mons table, I'd still like to see some mention of other encounters that'd boost your odds, otherwise people will likely only fight the ones you list. For example.
  • HP: Route 1 RE also has Caterpie and Hoothoot which add another 20% (15% +5% respectively).
  • Atk: Keep in mind Scraggy is Sword only (it's replaced by Croagunk in Shield). Other than that, you have Binacle and Chewtle to boost your odds a bit for the RE and overworld. Also, not sure what you mean by NA for the weather, but it's All for them too.
  • SpD gets you Lotad (shield; unfort seedot isn't an even trade) and Blipbug. Their individual encounter rates aren't great, but they make the process faster.
Yes, this is what I had the most trouble with. I've personally only ever looked for specific Mons ever since I started EV training back in Generation 4.
Other guides also only ever mention a few specific Mons per route, but then again, this is not "other guides" after all. I finally see what you mean.

Thanks for your patience with that one.

Also, I originally wrote NA for the weather because it doesn't matter inside the cave. I changed it though!

I hope I fixed this satisfactorily now!

Separate note, by "spammable" do you just mean that you can use multiple at once?
Correct. I used "spammable" in quotation marks because it's "Poké slang" in a sense and I've seen people use it before. I figured readers might be familiar with it. I'll however gladly change it if you feel like it's weird to use here.

If everything has been implemented satisfactorily, then I'll proceed to change the title to [QC 1/2] and wait for further potential suggestions by Lego.

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Correct. I used "spammable" in quotation marks because it's "Poké slang" in a sense and I've seen people use it before. I figured readers might be familiar with it. I'll however gladly change it if you feel like it's weird to use here.
Usage is fine I just didn't recall hearing that term before. If you really wanted to you could define it, but if it's that common I'm not too concerned about it.

QC +1

Lego

Formally LegoFigure11
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Ok I finally have time to give this a proper look-over

Everything I will mention over the course of this article can be done in both versions of the games and no Switch Online Membership is required.
I'm being pedantic but it's officially called "Nintendo Switch Online"
1. Basics

A Pokémon can overall earn a maximum of 510 Effort Values (EVs), 508 of which actually matter, and maximally 252 EVs can be invested into a single stat. EVs are traditionally earned when gaining Experience Points (EXP) by defeating Pokémon in battles. This does not only apply to Pokémon that you have defeated during random encounters in the wild, but also to Pokémon that you defeated during Trainer battles (excluding local or online battles against real players, since they do not give EXP!).
It might be worth mentioning the effect of EVs, and why only 508 of them matter. I'd mention that 4 EVs in a stat = 1 extra point at Lv 100, as people who don't know that you can only have 510 likely don't know this. You could also mention how to EV for Lv 50 (First 4 gives a point then every 8 afterwards) but I suppose that might be outside of the scope of this.

• Unfortunately the games themselves do not show you the exact amount of EVs that you have invested into a Pokémon. For this reason, I highly recommend using a notepad on your PC. This allows you to comfortably keep track of the gained EVs every single time you defeat a Pokémon.
    [*]Alternatively, you can also use a pen and a tally sheet in order to to keep track of the gained EVs every single time you defeat a Pokémon.
This feels kinda unnecessary. I'd just say "I highly recommend physically keeping track of every time you defeat a pokemon" or something, mentioning pc notepad or pen and paper if you want to. Specifying a PC notepad feels too specific (and what if the reader only has a phone?), and this way you can get rid of the second point entirely.

The Pokérus is incredibly rare (the odds are approximately 5 times higher than encountering a full odds shiny Pokémon!). However, do not let the rarity of the virus discourage you. Many communities, such as ours, for example, share the virus around among their members so that everyone can benefit from it. Sharing and doing a good deed can also be contagious after all.
Maybe link to wifi subforum or discord here?
The Pokérus can come in 4 different strains, meaning that it can stay active on a Pokémon for either 1, 2, 3 or even 4 days before it gets cured. You will know when a Pokémon is cured when the aforementioned "POKÉRUS" tag disappears and the crossed out pink smiley face becomes a regular pink smiley face. The virus will be cured once your the clock of your console reaches midnight.
I think you should mention that there's no way to tell which strain you have other than by letting the clock tick over, so it's always best to keep at least one infected mon in your PC until you know.

4. b Exploited Seminars

Sometimes having to wait 8, 12 or even 24 hours for seminars to finish can feel like an eternity. In the following paragraph I am going to show step-by-step how you can easily skip the waiting time through by exploiting a neat little in-game glitch. While there are alternative variants allowing you to pull this off, I decided to specifically focus on this variant, since it does in fact not require a Switch Online Membership and I would not want to exclude any of our readers.
It's worth noting that this could potentially be patched out my gf at any time, and while it works at the time of writing it may not work at the time of reading. I'd also mention that if you do this, any active pkrs that's not in our PC may be cured, so make sure there's at least one contagious mon in your PC before continuing.

--
It feels like you use the term "spammable" a bunch. Maybe just replace it with "usable in bulk" or something similar, at least in a few places? it just felt a little overused throughout. Just my opinion.

Anyway, nice guide. 2/? once implemented

Last edited:

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
Changelog:
I'm being pedantic but it's officially called "Nintendo Switch Online"
This was fixed!

It might be worth mentioning the effect of EVs, and why only 508 of them matter. I'd mention that 4 EVs in a stat = 1 extra point at Lv 100, as people who don't know that you can only have 510 likely don't know this. You could also mention how to EV for Lv 50 (First 4 gives a point then every 8 afterwards) but I suppose that might be outside of the scope of this.
This was fixed!

This feels kinda unnecessary. I'd just say "I highly recommend physically keeping track of every time you defeat a pokemon" or something, mentioning pc notepad or pen and paper if you want to. Specifying a PC notepad feels too specific (and what if the reader only has a phone?), and this way you can get rid of the second point entirely.
This was fixed!

Maybe link to wifi subforum or discord here?
Good idea. I added this, thank you! This was fixed!

I think you should mention that there's no way to tell which strain you have other than by letting the clock tick over, so it's always best to keep at least one infected mon in your PC until you know.
I added the detail about not being able to which type of strain you have, but I've already mentioned keeping one or more infected Pokémon in the PC.

It's worth noting that this could potentially be patched out my gf at any time, and while it works at the time of writing it may not work at the time of reading. I'd also mention that if you do this, any active pkrs that's not in our PC may be cured, so make sure there's at least one contagious mon in your PC before continuing.
This was added. I also already mentioned keeping the infected Pokémon in the PC while doing the exploit.

It feels like you use the term "spammable" a bunch. Maybe just replace it with "usable in bulk" or something similar, at least in a few places? it just felt a little overused throughout. Just my opinion.
I changed things up a bit, thank you! This was fixed!

Alright then, before I'm going to send this to GP I wanted welcome the opportunity to thank you guys again for the helpful QCs!

Last edited:

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
add remove comment

Is "BOX" all caps in the game this gen?

I changed the section label style cuz I think it'd be a pain to HTML correctly, and it can easily be done with just headers. If you really prefer the old style, I don't care and it can be done.

It's a bit superfluous to have colons in table headers. Not really a big deal but stylistically I think they should be removed.

Introduction

In this article, I will discuss Effort Value (EV) training (EV training), a mechanic that was introduced in the first Generation 3 games approximately 17 years ago.
I will go over the general basics of how and where to efficiently EV train, including calculations and concrete examples, before I then move on to explain the different methods in more depth in individual paragraphs, as well as and how to make corrections in case something goes wrong. By the end of this article, you should be able to make use of EV training in order to unlock the full potential of your Pokémon during your journey across the Galar region. Everything I will mention over the course of this article can be done in both versions of the games, (AC) and no Nintendo Switch Online Membership is required.

Basics

A Pokémon can overall earn a maximum of 510 EVs Effort Values (EVs), 508 of which actually matter, and maximally 252 EVs can be invested into a single stat. At level 100, a Pokémon will have one extra stat point for every 4 EVs that were invested into the stat any of the six stats. EVs are traditionally earned when gaining Experience Exp. Points (EXP) by defeating Pokémon in battles. This does not only apply to Pokémon that you have defeated during random encounters in the wild, but also to Pokémon that you defeated during Trainer battles (excluding local or online battles against real players, since they do not give EXP!).

However, do not panic if the Pokémon you want to EV train has already reached the maximum level of 100 and is hence no longer able to level up further.
While a Pokémon's level definitely mattered in the Generation 3 and Generation 4 games back in the day when said Pokémon still had to level up in order to benefit from the earned EVs, hence excluding Pokémon at level 100, this was changed ever since the Generation 5 games. (AP) and Pokémon can nowadays enjoy the effects of EV training immediately after earning EXP, without having to level up first.

That was a bit of a long sentence, so I broke it up into 2.

Down below
You like to use the phrase "down below" a lot, but it's repetitive and makes me sad. Just "below" will suffice :P.

Stat:Pokémon:EVs Earned:Locations:Encounter Rate:Odds of encountering a Pokémon giving the desired EVs in this Hotspot:
Odds of Encountering a Pokémon Giving the Desired EVs in This Hotspot:
Weather:
HP
Skwovet

Caterpie

Hoothoot​

1​
Route 1 (Overworld)

50%
40%

15%

5%​
60% (Random Encounter)
50% (Overworld)​
All weather

All weather

All weather​
Attack
Chewtle​
1​
40%​
40%​
All weather​
Defense
Rolycoly​
1​
99%​
99%​
All weather​
Special Attack
Gastly

Oddish​

1​

60%
60%
50%

60%
60%​
60% (Sandstorm)
60% (Fog)
50% (Thunderstorm)

60% (Normal Weather)
60% (Overcast)​
Sandstorm
Fog
Thunderstorm

Normal Weather
Overcast​
Special Defense
Gossifleur

Blipbug​

1​

35%

30%
10%​
45% (Random Encounter)
30% (Overworld)​
All weather​
Speed
Magikarp

Arrokuda

Barraskewda​

2​

Route 2 - Lake (Surfing)

Route 2 - Lake (Surfing)
80%

70%

28%​
98% (Surfing)
80% (Fishing)​
All weather​

Ultimately, the table above sums up the most convenient places for EV training with only Pokémon that can be found in both versions of the games, all while keeping the weather conditions dependence at a strict minimum. However, you can use a neat exploit that I am going to explain in further detail down below subsequently that which allows you to skip one day at a time until you get the desired weather. However, if the Pokémon that you want to EV train is already infected with the Pokérus, a useful mechanic that I am going to explain further down below will later explain, I advise you to put it into a PC BOX, in order to prevent it from becoming cured while skipping on one or more days!

However, before we move on, I wanted to share a couple of generally helpful tips and tricks that I can recommend from years of personal experience:
  • Unfortunately, (AC) the games themselves do not show you the exact amount of EVs that you have invested into a Pokémon. For this reason, I highly recommend physically keeping track of every time you defeat a Pokémon either through a notepad app or with the help of a pen and a sheet of paper.
  • Alternatively, you can also use a pen and a tally sheet in order to to keep track of the gained EVs every single time you defeat a Pokémon. same as end of point above
  • If your Pokémon's move has a lot of Power Points (PP), then you can check the amount of used PP in order to keep track of the number of defeated Pokémon.
  • Due to the fact that Because the Exp. Share shares distributes the earned EXP among the Pokémon in your party, this means they also all earned match tense the same amount of EVs. EV training multiple Pokémon at once is hence possible.
  • You can check if your Pokémon has earned all 252 available EVs in a stat by opening the summary screen and pressing the X button in the stats tab. A yellow graph indicates that not all of the EVs have been invested yet, whereas a blue graph indicates that all 510 EVs have been invested. If there are sparkles floating around the stat, then this means that you have successfully maxed out the EVs in this stat.
  • You can check if your Pokémon has earned all 510 available EVs. Alternatively, you can also check this if your Pokémon has earned all 510 available EVs by showing your Pokémon to the lady in the house to the right of Hammerlocke's central Pokémon Center. She will award the Effort Ribbon to every Pokémon with maxed out EVs.
Considering the fact that maxing out a stat can take a quite while if you have to defeat 252 Pokémon: (RC) (1 EV * 252 = 252 EVs), I am now going to use the next couple of paragraphs to show you how you can significantly speed up the EV training process.

Pokérus

Before we get to talk to I talk about the various items that can help make EV training a lot more efficient, let me welcome the opportunity to introduce you to an incredibly helpful mechanic that has existed since the original Generation 2 games: the Pokérus. This virus can be transmitted to the Pokémon at the front of your party if it happens to defeat a wild Pokémon that carries it. Alternatively, the virus can also spread either by capturing the wild Pokémon or by running from it. There is unfortunately no way of telling whether or not a wild Pokémon carries the virus when battling it during a random encounter, but you will be able to tell that your Pokémon has caught it by checking for a pink smiley face and the "POKÉRUS" tag to the left of the Galar region mark on its summary screen. Additionally, the kind nurse at the Pokémon Center will also bring it to your attention when you try to heal one or more infected Pokémon for the very first time. She will say: "Oh... It looks like your Pokémon may be infected with the Pokérus. Little is known about the Pokérus, except that it is a miscroscopic microscopic life-form that attaches itself to Pokémon. While infected Pokémon are said to grow exceptionally well.". Last part isn't a complete sentence. Should "While" be there?

Now, you might be wondering: What does "growing grow exceptionally well" mean exactly?
The answer is quite simple: This virus has the same effect as the Macho Brace, an item that I will talk about in the next paragraph, meaning that, while a Pokémon is infected with the virus, it will gain twice as many EVs as it normally would.

This means, for example, that while it would normally take 252 defeated Pokémon to max out a stat without the Pokérus: (RC) (1 EV * 252 = 252 EVs), it would now only take 126 Pokémon to max out a stat with the Pokérus: (RC) ((1 EV * 2) * 126 = 252 EVs).

However, before we go move on, I wanted to share a couple more helpful tips and tricks regarding the Pokérus:
  • The Pokérus is incredibly rare (the odds are approximately 5 times higher than encountering a full odds shiny Pokémon!). However, do not let the rarity of the virus discourage you. Many communities, such as ours, for example, share the virus around among their members so that everyone can benefit from it. Sharing and doing a good deed can also be contagious after all, (AC) and we gladly help out players that ask in our Wi-Fi sub-forum and on our related Wi-Fi Discord server.
  • The Pokérus can come in 4 different strains, meaning that it can stay active on a Pokémon for either 1, 2, 3, (AC) or even 4 days before it gets cured. Unfortunately, (AC) there is no way of telling which one of the 4 strains you got, except by letting the clock tick over midnight. I also recommend always keeping a couple of infected Pokémon around somewhere in a PC BOX as a sort of backup. You will know when a Pokémon is cured when the aforementioned "POKÉRUS" tag disappears and the crossed out pink smiley face becomes a regular pink smiley face. The virus will be cured once your the clock of your console reaches midnight.
  • You can spread the Pokérus to other Pokémon the same way you originally got it: through wild encounters. First, you put both the already infected Pokémon and the one that you want to infect in your party, and then you run into a wild encounters before running from them a couple of times until the virus has successfully spread. It can sometimes take a few attempts.
  • You can prevent the Pokérus from being cured by storing the infected Pokémon in the PC. There, the virus will stay active indefinitely. I emphasize again that I highly recommend keeping a couple of infected Pokémon around somewhere in a PC BOX as a sort of backup.
  • While a cured Pokémon is no longer able to spread the virus further, it will, however, still be able to benefit from a doubled EVs gain in the future if you decide to re-EV train it.
  • However, while the Pokérus can be used in combination with the Power Items, (AC) that which I am going to will explain in further detail in point 3. a down below the Held Items section, it has no effect when trying to use it used in combination with Vitamins and Wings, other items that I am going to explain in further detail in points the "Spammable" Items section 3.b.1 and 3.b.2 down below.
Considering the fact that maxing out a stat can still take quite a while if you have to defeat 126 Pokémon, I am now going to use the next two sections paragraph to show you how you can significantly speed up the EV training process even further.

Items

Held Items

In this paragraph section, I am going to talk about held items that can be equipped given to a Pokémon in order to help it gain EVs even faster: the Power Items.
Down below you can find a list of all of the available Power Items that you can find in the Galar region:
changing it up a bit

Macho Brace
Any​
The Macho Brace can be purchased in exchange for 10 Battle Points (BP) from the League Staff lady in Hammerlocke's central Pokémon Center.
Power Weight
HP​
The Power Weight can be purchased in exchange for 10 Battle Points (BP) from the League Staff lady in Hammerlocke's central Pokémon Center.
Power Bracer
Attack​
The Power Bracer can be purchased in exchange for 10 Battle Points (BP) from the League Staff lady in Hammerlocke's central Pokémon Center.
Power Belt
Defense​
The Power Belt can be purchased in exchange for 10 Battle Points (BP) from the League Staff lady in Hammerlocke's central Pokémon Center.
Power Lens
Special Attack​
The Power Lens can be purchased in exchange for 10 Battle Points (BP) from the League Staff lady in Hammerlocke's central Pokémon Center.
Power Band
Special Defense​
The Power Band can be purchased in exchange for 10 Battle Points (BP) from the League Staff lady in Hammerlocke's central Pokémon Center.
Power Anklet
Speed​
The Power Anklet can be purchased in exchange for 10 Battle Points (BP) from the League Staff lady in Hammerlocke's central Pokémon Center.

I also decided to include Here are a few helpful calculations to further explain how exactly the gained EVs are cumulated both with and without the Pokérus:
  • A Pokémon without the Pokérus holding the Macho Brace will earn 2 EVs each time it defeats a Pokémon giving 1 EV: (1 EV * 2 = 2 EVs).
  • A Pokémon with the Pokérus holding the Macho Brace will earn 4 EVs each time it defeats a Pokémon giving 1 EV: ((1 EV * 2) * 2 = 4 EVs).
  • A Pokémon without the Pokérus holding a Power Item will earn 9 EVs each time it defeats a Pokémon giving 1 EV: (1 EV + 8 = 9 EVs).
  • A Pokémon with the Pokérus holding a Power Item will earn 18 EVs each time it defeats a Pokémon giving 1 EV: (1 EV + 8) * 2 = 18 EVs).
This far into the article, I also wanted to welcome the opportunity to show with the help of a concrete example how you can combine methods. Allow me to provide a further example on how to combine methods.
Not every EV spread is as straightforward as 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe or 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe for example.
Formats such as VGC require, for example, far more complex and calculated spreads that I am going to illustrate in the next step:

Let us, (AC) for instance, (AC) take the example of the following the Careful VGC2020 Incineroar spread: 236 HP / 116 Def / 156 SpD. (AP)
  • The HP EVs could, for example, be achieved acquired by defeating 13 Skwovet while being infected with Pokérus and while holding a Power Weight:
    13 * 18 EVs = 234 EVs.
    Now you would simply remove the item and defeat another Skwovet to get the final 2 EVs through Pokérus alone:
  • The Defense EVs could, for example, be achieved acquired by defeating 6 Rolycoly while being infected with Pokérus and while holding a Power Belt:
    6 * 18 EVs = 108 EVs.
    Now you would simply switch the Power Belt for the Macho Brace and defeat another two Rolycoly to get the final 8 EVs:
  • The remaining 156 Special Defense EVs could be obtained by defeating 9 Gossifleur while being infected with Pokérus and while holding a Power Band:
    9 * 18 EVs = 162 EVs. Even though Incineroar would gain 162 EVs here, it will only gain 158 because the 510 maximum amount of EVs is reached.
"Spammable" Items

Vitamins

In this paragraph section, I am going to talk about one of two kinds of items that can be applied directly to your Pokémon in order to help it gain EVs fast quickly: the Vitamins.

Down below Below you can find a list of all of the available Vitamins, their respective effects, and where to obtain them:

HP Up
HP​
10​
HP Up can be purchased in exchange for 2 Battle Points (BP) each from the League Staff lady in Hammerlocke's central Pokémon Center.

HP Up can also be purchased for 10,000 Poké Dollars each at the right counter of Wyndon's southern Pokémon Center.

HP Up can also be randomly obtained after winning ranked battles in Battle Stadium.
Protein
Attack​
10​
Protein can be purchased in exchange for 2 Battle Points (BP) each from the League Staff lady in Hammerlocke's central Pokémon Center.

Protein can also be purchased for 10,000 Poké Dollars each at right counter of Wyndon's southern Pokémon Center.

Protein can also be randomly obtained after winning ranked battles in Battle Stadium.
Iron
Defense​
10​
Iron can be purchased in exchange for 2 Battle Points (BP) each from the League Staff lady in Hammerlocke's central Pokémon Center.

Iron can also be purchased for 10,000 Poké Dollars each at the right counter of Wyndon's southern Pokémon Center.

Iron can also be randomly obtained after winning ranked battles in Battle Stadium.
Calcium
Special Attack​
10​
Calcium can be purchased in exchange for 2 Battle Points (BP) each from the League Staff lady in Hammerlocke's central Pokémon Center.

Calcium can also be purchased for 10,000 Poké Dollars each at the right counter of Wyndon's southern Pokémon Center.

Calcium can also be randomly obtained after winning ranked battles in Battle Stadium.
Zinc
Special Defense​
10​
Zinc can be purchased in exchange for 2 Battle Points (BP) each from the League Staff lady in Hammerlocke's central Pokémon Center.

Zinc can also be purchased for 10,000 Poké Dollars each at the right counter of Wyndon's southern Pokémon Center.

Zinc can also be randomly obtained after winning ranked battles in Battle Stadium.
Carbos
Speed​
10​
Carbos can be purchased in exchange for 2 Battle Points (BP) each from the League Staff lady in Hammerlocke's central Pokémon Center.

Carbos can also be purchased for 10,000 Poké Dollars each at the right counter of Wyndon's southern Pokémon Center.

Carbos can also be randomly obtained after winning ranked battles in Battle Stadium.

What makes this method so fast and efficient is the fact that, ever since the Generation 8 games, these items have become usable in bulk.
While you were only able to invest a maximum limit of 100 EVs by clicking one vitam Vitamin at a time in previous generations, Game Freak has significantly improved this and you can freely select 26 vitamins to max out a stat in one click (26 * 10 EVs = 260 EVs), even though the maximum caps at 252.

Wings

As we have seen, the item method is undeniably faster than the aforementioned ones one that requires you to defeat Pokémon.
However, while the Vitamins method is especially recommendable when it comes to simple EV spreads, I am going to use the following paragraph this section to introduce you to another EV-raising item that can help you obtain more complex EV spreads as well: the Wings.

Down below Below you can find a list of all of the available Wings, their respective effects, and where to obtain them:

Health Wing
HP​
1​
Health Wings can be found at the shimmering places on the bridges between Route 5 and Hulbury and between Motostoke and the Motostoke Outskirts. Once you have picked up all of the Wings in one area, you will unfortunately have to wait until they respawn again on the next day.
Muscle Wing
Attack​
1​
Muscle Wings can be found at the shimmering places on the bridges between Route 5 and Hulbury and between Motostoke and the Motostoke Outskirts. Once you have picked up all of the Wings in one area, you will unfortunately have to wait until they respawn again on the next day.
Resist Wing
Defense​
1​
Resist Wings can be found at the shimmering places on the bridges between Route 5 and Hulbury and between Motostoke and the Motostoke Outskirts. Once you have picked up all of the Wings in one area, you will unfortunately have to wait until they respawn again on the next day.
Genius Wing
Special Attack​
1​
Genius Wings can be found at the shimmering places on the bridges between Route 5 and Hulbury and between Motostoke and the Motostoke Outskirts. Once you have picked up all of the Wings in one area, you will unfortunately have to wait until they respawn again on the next day.
Clever Wing
Special Defense​
1​
Clever Wings can be found at the shimmering places on the bridges between Route 5 and Hulbury and between Motostoke and the Motostoke Outskirts. Once you have picked up all of the Wings in one area, you will unfortunately have to wait until they respawn again on the next day.
Swift Wing
Speed​
1​
Swift Wings can be found at the shimmering places on the bridges between Route 5 and Hulbury and between Motostoke and the Motostoke Outskirts. Once you have picked up all of the Wings in one area, you will unfortunately have to wait until they respawn again on the next day.

While the Wings are also "spammable", much like the Vitamins, they are exactly alike, not much like. Either way, this is implied with "also" you can only find a strictly limited amount of them on a daily basis.
This is why I suggest combining them with Vitamins in order to obtain complex EV spread spreads.

Let us for instance go back to the example of the Careful VGC2020 Incineroar spread from the Power Items paragraph: 236 HP / 116 Def / 156 SpD. (AP)
  • The HP EVs could, for example, be achieved acquired by using 23 HP Up and 6 Health Wings:
  • The Defense EVs could, for example, be achieved acquired by using 11 Iron and 6 Resist Wings:
  • The Special Defense EVs could be obtained by using 15 Zinc and 6 Clever Wings:
Poké Jobs

Standard Seminars

Now, despite the fact that EV training has become a lot faster and a lot more convenient over the years, doing it manually still requires you we to pay attention in order to keep track of what you are doing. However, I am going to use the following paragraph paragraphs to introduce you to another EV training method that, much like the Isle Evelup in Generation 7's Poké Pelago, automatically EV trains your Pokémon for you: the Poké Jobs.

You can access the Poké Jobs by talking to the Rotom PC that can be found in every single Pokémon Center across the Galar region.
While the regular Poké Jobs are are being cycled through on a daily basis, the EV training seminars offered by the Hammerlocke University are always available.

Down below Below you can find a list of all of the available seminars and how many EVs can be earned:

Seminars:
HP seminar in session!​

You can register up to 10 Pokémon at once per seminar, (AC) and then you get to pick a timeframe time frame during which they will complete the seminar.

Down below you can find a list, converting the timeframes to real time:

Timeframe: Time Frame:Real Time:
Whole Day​
24 hours​
Half Day​
12 hours​
Very Long​
8 hours​
Long​
4 hours​
Short​
3 hours​
Very Short​
2 hours​
Just a little​
1 hour​

Normally a Pokémon will gain 4 EVs for every completed hour, but you can increase the amount of gained EVs with the Pokérus and held items.

Down below Below you can find a list, (RC) showing you the EV gains in real time for every possible scenario:

No Pokérus + Itemless​
4 EVs​
8 EVs​
12 EVs​
16 EVs​
32 EVs​
48 EVs​
96 EVs​
Pokérus + Itemless​
8 EVs​
16 EVs​
24 EVs​
32 EVs​
64 EVs​
96 EVs​
192 EVs​
8 EVs​
16 EVs​
24 EVs​
32 EVs​
64 EVs​
96 EVs​
192 EVs​
Pokérus + Macho Brace​
16 EVs​
32 EVs​
48 EVs​
64 EVs​
128 EVs​
192 EVs​
252 EVs​
No Pokérus + Power Item​
12 EVs​
24 EVs​
36 EVs​
48 EVs​
96 EVs​
144 EVs​
252 EVs​
Pokérus + Power Item​
24 EVs​
48 EVs​
72 EVs​
96 EVs​
192 EVs​
252 EVs​
252 EVs​

Exploited Seminars

Sometimes having to wait 8, 12, (AC) or even 24 hours for seminars to finish can feel like an eternity. In the following paragraph I am going to show step-by-step how you can easily skip the waiting time through by exploiting a neat little an in-game glitch. While there are alternative variants allowing you methods to pull this off, I decided to specifically focus on this variant, since it does in fact not require a Nintendo Switch Online Membership, (AC) and I would not want to exclude any of our readers. However, keep in mind that Game Freak can patch this exploit in the future, meaning that while it worked at the time I wrote this guide, it might unfortunately not work anymore in the future by the time you are reading this. So, let us not waste any time and make good use of them it as long as we can!

Let us get started:
Remove "now" from each of the steps that start with it and start with action verbs on each. For #6 in that case, I'd start with "Ensure". For #9, "Cancel"
  1. Use the Rotom PC in any Pokémon Center to send up to 10 Pokémon that you want to EV train to do their seminars as you normally would.
  2. Now you go Go and find a den in the Wild Area. It can either be a den that is already active, or you can just simply use a Wishing Piece to activate a currently inactive den. Both methods works work.
  3. Now interact with the den and click the "Invite Others" option.
  4. Now press the "HOME" button to access the main menu and proceed to open the System Settings.
  5. Now scroll all the way down to "System" and then pick the "Date and Time" option under "Language" and "Region".
  6. For it to work, you need to ensure that the "Synchronize Time via Internet" option is set to "Off".
  7. Now change the date on your console to the next day and click "OK" once you have done so.
  8. Now press "B" to go back into the main menu and go back to your Pokémon Sword or Pokémon Shield game.
  10. Use the Rotom PC to check the Poké Jobs and you will see the seminar(s) will have been completed.
Correcting Mistakes

Last but not least, I am going to show you how you can easily remove EVs again with the help of a certain type of berries.
This is, for example, useful if you made a mistake while currently EV training a new Pokémon or if you want to change the EV spread of one of your already fully EV trained Pokémon. Ever since the Generation 8 games, these berries have become usable in bulk, much like the aforementioned Vitamins and Wings. (AP) and they They can be found on berry Berry trees in the Galar region and they can also be obtained as rewards after successful Max Raid Battles. However, these berries, much like the Vitamins and Wings mentioned above, are not affected by the Pokérus!

Down below Below you can find a list with all of the available berries, their effects, (AC) and where to get them:

Berry:Decreased Stat:EVs removed: Removed:Secondary Effect:Berry Tree Locations:
Pomeg Berry
HP​
10​
This Berry also increases the Pokémon's friendship level by 10 if its current friendship level is 0-99, by 5 if it is 100-199, and by 2 if it is 200-255.Route 7
Bridge Field (Wild Area)
Kelpsy Berry
Attack​
10​
This Berry also increases the Pokémon's friendship level by 10 if its current friendship level is 0-99, by 5 if it is 100-199, and by 2 if it is 200-255.Route 7
Bridge Field (Wild Area)
Qualot Berry
Defense​
10​
Bridge Field (Wild Area)
Giant's Cap (Wild Area)
Giant's Seat (Wild Area)
Hondew Berry
Special Attack​
10​
Bridge Field (Wild Area)
North Lake Miloch
Grepa Berry
Special Defense​
10​
Bridge Field (Wild Area)
Tamato Berry
Speed​
10​
Bridge Field (Wild Area)
Giant's Cap (Wild Area)

Conclusion

This about sums up everything you need to know about how EV training in Generation 8. In hindsight, when it comes to the fastest EV training method in Generation 8, then it definitely has to be the exploit method, closely followed by the method involving the vitamins Vitamins. Not only can they be purchased at incredibly low prices, but they are also "spammable" now. In this sense, Generation 8 has a huge advantage compared to the previous generations, (AC) and you should definitely not let this opportunity slide. Feel free to be creative and combine different EV training methods, especially when it comes to very specific EV spreads that require precision over speed. Now you know the various ways that allow you to efficiently unlock your Pokémons' Pokémon's full potential. So, what are you waiting for? Go out there and be the best trainer you can be!

Noting here that given Lego's testing in your T&T guide, the berry friendship values in the last section will need to be updated.

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
This GP check was implemented right away.

Is "BOX" all caps in the game this gen?
I checked this in-game just now, and it's indeed "Box" now. I changed it everywhere and I'll also change this in the other guide.

I changed the section label style cuz I think it'd be a pain to HTML correctly, and it can easily be done with just headers. If you really prefer the old style, I don't care and it can be done.
All good, no worries. I'll keep this in mind!

It's a bit superfluous to have colons in table headers. Not really a big deal but stylistically I think they should be removed.
I see, I've had colons in previous guides with tables and they were kept. Will remove them from now on though, I'll also fix this in the other guide.

That was a bit of a long sentence, so I broke it up into 2.
Fair enough. I need to improve the reader-friendliness here and there.

You like to use the phrase "down below" a lot, but it's repetitive and makes me sad. Just "below" will suffice :P.
Yes, that's an old habit of mine. I changed all of these here and I'll also do so in the other guide.

Last part isn't a complete sentence. Should "While" be there?
Yes, albeit I forgot to add a comma. This was fixed!

they are exactly alike, not much like. Either way, this is implied with "also"
Correct, this was fixed!

Remove "now" from each of the steps that start with it and start with action verbs on each. For #6 in that case, I'd start with "Ensure". For #9, "Cancel"
I agree. This was fixed! I'll make sure to fix that in the other guide as well.

If this is all to your satisfaction, then I'll proceed to change the title to [GP 1/2]. Thanks again!

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
add remove comments

Introduction

In this article, I will discuss Effort Value (EV) training, a mechanic that was introduced in the first Generation 3 games approximately 17 years ago.
I will go over the general basics of how and where to efficiently EV train, including calculations and concrete examples, before I then move on to explain the different methods in more depth and how to make corrections in case something goes wrong. By the end of this article, you should be able to make use of EV training in order to unlock the full potential of your Pokémon during your journey across the Galar region. Everything I will mention over the course of this article can be done in both versions of the games, and no Nintendo Switch Online membership (after some googling, this is not capitalized) is required.

Basics

A Pokémon can earn a maximum of 510 EVs, 508 of which actually matter, and maximally 252 EVs can be invested into a single stat. At level 100, a Pokémon will have one extra stat point for every 4 EVs that were invested into the stat. EVs are traditionally earned when gaining Exp. Points (EXP) by defeating Pokémon in battles. This does not only apply to Pokémon that you have defeated during random encounters in the wild, but also to Pokémon that you defeated during Trainer battles (excluding local or online battles against real players, since they do not give EXP!).

While a A Pokémon's level definitely mattered in the Generation 3 and Generation 4 games back in the day when, (AC) as said Pokémon still had to level up in order to benefit from the earned EVs, hence excluding which excluded Pokémon at level 100; (ASC) however, this was changed ever since the Generation 5 games. Pokémon can nowadays enjoy the effects of EV training immediately after earning EXP, without having to level up first.

Stat:Pokémon:EVs Earned:Locations:Encounter Rate:Odds of Encountering a Pokémon Giving the Desired EVs in This Hotspot:Weather:
HP
Skwovet

Caterpie

Hoothoot​

1​
Route 1 (Overworld)

50%
40%

15%

5%​
60% (Random Encounter)
50% (Overworld)​
All weather

All weather

All weather​
Attack
Chewtle​
1​
40%​
40%​
All weather​
Defense
Rolycoly​
1​
99%​
99%​
All weather​
Special Attack
Gastly

Oddish​

1​

60%
60%
50%

60%
60%​
60% (Sandstorm)
60% (Fog)
50% (Thunderstorm)

60% (Normal Weather)
60% (Overcast)​
Sandstorm
Fog
Thunderstorm

Normal Weather
Overcast​
Special Defense
Gossifleur

Blipbug​

1​

35%

30%
10%​
45% (Random Encounter)
30% (Overworld)​
All weather​
Speed
Magikarp

Arrokuda

Barraskewda​

2​

Route 2 - Lake (Surfing)

Route 2 - Lake (Surfing)
80%

70%

28%​
98% (Surfing)
80% (Fishing)​
All weather​

Ultimately, the table above sums up the most convenient places for EV training with only Pokémon that can be found in both versions of the games, all while keeping the weather dependence at a strict minimum. However, you can use a neat exploit that I am going to explain in further detail subsequently which that allows you to skip one day at a time until you get the desired weather. However, if the Pokémon you want to EV train is already infected with the Pokérus, a useful mechanic that I will later explain, I advise you to put it into a PC Box, in order to prevent it from becoming cured while skipping one or more days!

• Unfortunately, the games do not show you the exact EVs that you have invested into a Pokémon. For this reason, I highly recommend physically keeping track of every time you defeat a Pokémon either through a notepad app or with a pen and a paper.
  • Because the Exp. Share distributes the earned EXP among the Pokémon in your party, this means they also all earn the same amount of EVs. EV training multiple Pokémon at once is hence possible.
  • Alternatively, you can also check if your Pokémon has earned all 510 available EVs by showing your Pokémon to the lady in the house to the right of Hammerlocke's central Pokémon Center. She will award the Effort Ribbon to every Pokémon with maxed out EVs.
Considering maxing out a stat can take a quite while if you have to defeat 252 Pokémon (1 EV * 252 = 252 EVs), I am now going to use the next couple of paragraphs to show you how you can significantly speed up the EV training process.

Pokérus

Before I talk about the various items that make EV training a lot more efficient, let me introduce you to an incredibly helpful mechanic that has existed since the original Generation 2 games: the Pokérus. This virus can be transmitted to the Pokémon at the front of your party if it happens to defeat a wild Pokémon that carries it. Alternatively, the virus can also spread either by capturing the wild Pokémon or by running from it. There is unfortunately no way of telling whether or not a wild Pokémon carries the virus when battling it, but you will be able to tell that your Pokémon has caught it by checking for a pink smiley face and the "POKÉRUS" tag to the left of the Galar region mark on its summary screen. Additionally, the kind nurse at the Pokémon Center will also bring it to your attention when you try to heal one or more infected Pokémon for the first time. She will say: "Oh... It looks like your Pokémon may be infected with the Pokérus. Little is known about the Pokérus, except that it is a microscopic life-form that attaches itself to Pokémon. While infected, Pokémon are said to grow exceptionally well.".

Now, you might be wondering: What does "grow exceptionally well" mean?
The answer is quite simple: This virus has the same effect as the Macho Brace, an item that I will talk about in the next paragraph later, meaning that, while a Pokémon is infected with the virus, it will gain twice as many EVs as it normally would.

This means, for example, that while it would normally take 252 defeated Pokémon to max out a stat without the Pokérus (1 EV * 252 = 252 EVs), it would now only take 126 Pokémon to max out a stat with the Pokérus ((1 EV * 2) * 126 = 252 EVs).

• The Pokérus is incredibly rare (the odds are approximately 5 times higher lower than encountering a full odds shiny Pokémon, or a 3 in 65,536 chance!). However, do not let the rarity of the virus discourage you. Many communities, such as ours, for example, share the virus among their members so that everyone can benefit from it. Sharing and doing a good deed can also be contagious after all, and we gladly help out players that ask in our Wi-Fi sub-forum and on our related Wi-Fi Discord server.
  • The Pokérus can come in 4 different strains, meaning that it can stay active on a Pokémon for either 1, 2, 3, or even 4 days before it gets cured. Unfortunately, there is no way of telling which one of the 4 strains you got, except by letting the clock tick over midnight. I also recommend always keeping a couple of infected Pokémon in a PC Box as a sort of backup. You will know when a Pokémon is cured when the aforementioned "POKÉRUS" tag disappears and the crossed out pink smiley face becomes a regular pink smiley face. The virus will be cured once the clock of your console reaches midnight.
  • You can spread the Pokérus to other Pokémon the same way you originally got it: through wild encounters. First, you put both the already infected Pokémon and the one that you want to infect in your party, and then you run into wild encounters before running from them until the virus has successfully spread. It can sometimes take a few attempts.
  • You can prevent the Pokérus from being cured by storing the infected Pokémon in the PC. There, the virus will stay active indefinitely. I emphasize again that I highly recommend keeping a couple of infected Pokémon around somewhere in a PC Box as a sort of backup.
  • While a cured Pokémon is no longer able to spread the virus further, it will still be able to benefit from a doubled EVs gain in the future if you decide to re-EV train it.
  • However, while the Pokérus can be used in combination with the Power Items, which I will explain in further detail in the Held Items section, it has no effect when used in combination with Vitamins and Wings, other items that I am going to explain in further detail in the "Spammable" Items section below.
Considering maxing out a stat can still take quite a while if you have to defeat 126 Pokémon, I am now going to use the next two sections to show you how you can significantly speed up the EV training process.

Items

Held Items

In this section, I am going to talk about held items that can be given to a Pokémon in order to help it gain EVs even faster: the Power Items.

Macho Brace
Any​
Power Weight
HP​
Power Bracer
Attack​
Power Belt
Defense​
Power Lens
Special Attack​
Power Band
Special Defense​
Power Anklet
Speed​

Here are a few helpful calculations to further explain how the gained EVs are cumulated accumulated both with and without the Pokérus:
Allow me to provide a further example on how to combine methods.
Not every EV spread is as straightforward as 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe or 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe.
Formats such as VGC require, for example, far more complex and calculated spreads that I am going to illustrate next:

Let us, for instance, take the Careful VGC2020 Incineroar spread: 236 HP / 116 Def / 156 SpD.
  • The HP EVs could, for example, be acquired by defeating 13 Skwovet while being infected with Pokérus and while holding a Power Weight:
    13 * 18 EVs = 234 EVs.
  • The Defense EVs could, for example, be (remove doublespace)acquired by defeating 6 Rolycoly while being infected with Pokérus and while holding a Power Belt:
    6 * 18 EVs = 108 EVs.
"Spammable" Items

Vitamins

In this section, I am going to talk about one of two kinds of items that can be applied directly to your Pokémon in order to help it gain EVs quickly: the Vitamins.

Below you can find a list of all of the available Vitamins, their respective effects, and where to obtain them:

HP Up
HP​
10​

Protein
Attack​
10​

Iron
Defense​
10​

Calcium
Special Attack​
10​

Zinc
Special Defense​
10​

Carbos
Speed​
10​

While you were only able to invest a maximum of 100 EVs by clicking one Vitamin at a time in previous generations, you can freely select 26 vitamins to max out a stat in one click (26 * 10 EVs = 260 EVs), even though the maximum caps at 252.

Wings

As we have seen, the item method is undeniably faster than the aforementioned one that requires you to defeat Pokémon.
However, while the Vitamins method is especially recommendable when it comes to simple EV spreads, I am going to use this section to introduce you to another EV-raising item that can help you obtain more complex EV spreads as well: the Wings.

Below you can find a list of all of the available Wings, their respective effects, and where to obtain them:

Health Wing
HP​
1​
Health Wings can be found at the shimmering places on the bridges between Route 5 and Hulbury and between Motostoke and the Motostoke Outskirts. Once you have picked up all of the Wings in one area, you will unfortunately have to wait until they respawn on the next day.
Muscle Wing
Attack​
1​
Muscle Wings can be found at the shimmering places on the bridges between Route 5 and Hulbury and between Motostoke and the Motostoke Outskirts. Once you have picked up all of the Wings in one area, you will unfortunately have to wait until they respawn on the next day.
Resist Wing
Defense​
1​
Resist Wings can be found at the shimmering places on the bridges between Route 5 and Hulbury and between Motostoke and the Motostoke Outskirts. Once you have picked up all of the Wings in one area, you will unfortunately have to wait until they respawn on the next day.
Genius Wing
Special Attack​
1​
Genius Wings can be found at the shimmering places on the bridges between Route 5 and Hulbury and between Motostoke and the Motostoke Outskirts. Once you have picked up all of the Wings in one area, you will unfortunately have to wait until they respawn on the next day.
Clever Wing
Special Defense​
1​
Clever Wings can be found at the shimmering places on the bridges between Route 5 and Hulbury and between Motostoke and the Motostoke Outskirts. Once you have picked up all of the Wings in one area, you will unfortunately have to wait until they respawn on the next day.
Swift Wing
Speed​
1​
Swift Wings can be found at the shimmering places on the bridges between Route 5 and Hulbury and between Motostoke and the Motostoke Outskirts. Once you have picked up all of the Wings in one area, you will unfortunately have to wait until they respawn on the next day.

While the Wings are also "spammable", you can only find a limited amount of them on a daily basis.
This is why I suggest combining them with Vitamins in order to obtain complex EV spreads.

Let us go back to the example of the Careful VGC2020 Incineroar spread from the Power Items paragraph: 236 HP / 116 Def / 156 SpD.
  • The HP EVs could, for example, be acquired by using 23 HP Up and 6 Health Wings:
  • The Defense EVs could, for example, be acquired by using 11 Iron and 6 Resist Wings:
Poké Jobs

Standard Seminars

Now, despite the fact that EV training has become a lot faster and more convenient over the years, doing it manually still requires you to pay attention in order to keep track of what you are doing. However, I am going to use the following paragraphs to introduce another EV training method that, much like the Isle Evelup in Generation 7's Poké Pelago, automatically EV trains your Pokémon for you: the Poké Jobs.

While the regular Poké Jobs are cycled through on a daily basis, the EV training seminars offered by the Hammerlocke University are always available.

Below you can find a list of all of the available seminars and how many EVs can be earned:

Seminars:
HP seminar in session!​

You can register up to 10 Pokémon at once per seminar, and then you get to pick a time frame during which they will complete the seminar.

Time Frame:Real Time:
Whole Day​
24 hours​
Half Day​
12 hours​
Very Long​
8 hours​
Long​
4 hours​
Short​
3 hours​
Very Short​
2 hours​
Just a little​
1 hour​

Below you can find a list showing you the EV gains in real time for every possible scenario:

No Pokérus + Itemless​
4 EVs​
8 EVs​
12 EVs​
16 EVs​
32 EVs​
48 EVs​
96 EVs​
Pokérus + Itemless​
8 EVs​
16 EVs​
24 EVs​
32 EVs​
64 EVs​
96 EVs​
192 EVs​
8 EVs​
16 EVs​
24 EVs​
32 EVs​
64 EVs​
96 EVs​
192 EVs​
Pokérus + Macho Brace​
16 EVs​
32 EVs​
48 EVs​
64 EVs​
128 EVs​
192 EVs​
252 EVs​
No Pokérus + Power Item​
12 EVs​
24 EVs​
36 EVs​
48 EVs​
96 EVs​
144 EVs​
252 EVs​
Pokérus + Power Item​
24 EVs​
48 EVs​
72 EVs​
96 EVs​
192 EVs​
252 EVs​
252 EVs​

Exploited Seminars

Sometimes having to wait 8, 12, or even 24 hours for seminars to finish can feel like an eternity. In the following paragraph I am going to show step-by-step how you can easily skip the waiting time by exploiting an in-game glitch. While there are alternative methods to pull this off, I decided to specifically focus on this variant, since it does not require a Nintendo Switch Online membership, and I would not want to exclude any of our readers. However, keep in mind that Game Freak can patch this exploit in the future, meaning that while it worked at the time I wrote this guide, it might unfortunately not work by the time you are reading this. So, let us not waste any time and make good use of it as long as we can!

Let us get started:
  2. Go and find a den in the Wild Area. It can either be a den that is already active, or you can simply use a Wishing Piece to activate a currently inactive den. Both methods work.
  3. Interact with the den and click the "Invite Others" option.
  4. Press the "HOME" button to access the main menu and proceed to open the System Settings.
  5. Scroll all the way down to "System" and then pick the "Date and Time" option under "Language" and "Region".
  6. Ensure that the "Synchronize Time via Internet" option is set to "Off".
  7. Change the date on your console to the next day and click "OK" once you have done so.
  8. Press "B" to go back into the main menu and go back to your Pokémon Sword or Pokémon Shield game.
Correcting Mistakes

This is useful if you made a mistake while EV training a new Pokémon or if you want to change the EV spread of one of your already fully EV trained Pokémon. Ever since the Generation 8 games, these berries have become usable in bulk, much like the aforementioned Vitamins and Wings. They can be found on Berry trees in the Galar region and obtained as rewards after successful Max Raid Battles. However, these berries, much like the Vitamins and Wings mentioned above, are not affected by the Pokérus!

Below you can find a list with all of the available berries, their effects, and where to get them:

Berry:Decreased Stat:EVs Removed:Secondary Effect:Berry Tree Locations:
Pomeg Berry
HP​
10​
Bridge Field (Wild Area)
Kelpsy Berry
Attack​
10​
Bridge Field (Wild Area)
Qualot Berry
Defense​
10​
Bridge Field (Wild Area)
Giant's Cap (Wild Area)
Giant's Seat (Wild Area)
Hondew Berry
Special Attack​
10​
Bridge Field (Wild Area)
North Lake Miloch
Grepa Berry
Special Defense​
10​
Bridge Field (Wild Area)
Tamato Berry
Speed​
10​
Bridge Field (Wild Area)
Giant's Cap (Wild Area)

Conclusion

This about sums up everything you need to know about EV training in Generation 8. In hindsight, when it comes to the fastest EV training method in Generation 8, then it definitely has to be the exploit method, closely followed by the method involving the Vitamins. Not only can they be purchased at incredibly low prices, but they are also "spammable" now. In this sense, Generation 8 has a huge advantage compared to the previous generations, and you should definitely not let this opportunity slide. Feel free to be creative and combine different EV training methods, especially when it comes to very specific EV spreads that require precision over speed. Now you know the various ways to efficiently unlock your Pokémon's full potential. So, what are you waiting for? Go out there and be the best trainer you can be!

GP 2/2

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributor
well, took me one day, but anyways, HTML is done!

HTML:
[title]
EV Training Pokémon in Gen 8

[head]
<meta name="description" content="A guide that explains how to efficiently EV train Pokémon in Pokémon Sword and Shield. Features useful EV training spots!" />

<link rel="stylesheet" href="../stylesheet.css" />

<style type="text/css">
    p, ol, ul { margin-bottom: 2em; }
    hr { margin-top: -1em; }

.ev-table {
        border-collapse: collapse;
        max-width: 1100px;
        margin: 2em auto;
        display: block;
    }

.ev-table th, .ev-table td {
        border: 1px solid black;
        padding: 5px;
    }

.ev-table th {
        background-color: #BEBEE7;
    }

.ev-table ul {
        padding-left: 0;
        display: inline-block;
        vertical-align: middle;
    }

.ev-table ul > li {
        list-style-type: none;
        margin-bottom: 16px;
    }

.ev-table ul > li { margin-bottom: 0 }

.nospace { margin-top: -24px; }

.center1 td:nth-child(2), .center1 td:nth-child(3), .center2 td:nth-child(1) {
        text-align: center;
    }

#toc {
        border: 1px solid black;
        width: 250px;
        margin-bottom: 2em;
    }

#toc h3 {
        border-bottom: 1px solid black;
        background-color: #BEBEE7;
        text-align: center;
        margin-top: 0;
    }

#toc .links > li {
        margin-bottom: 5px;
    }

#toc li > ul {
        margin-bottom: 0;
    }

#toc .links > li > ul > li {
    }

#toc .links > li > ul > li > ul > li::before {
        content: '- ';
    }

.ev-table td:first-child {
        width: 95px;
    }

</style>
[page]

<div class="author">By <a href="/forums/members/max-optimizer.309941/" target="_blank">Max. Optimizer</a>.</div>

<h2>Introduction</h2>

<p>In this article, I will discuss Effort Value (EV) training, a mechanic that was introduced in the first Generation 3 games approximately 17 years ago.</p>

<p>I will go over the general basics of how and where to efficiently EV train, including calculations and concrete examples, before I then move on to explain the different methods in more depth and how to make corrections in case something goes wrong. By the end of this article, you should be able to make use of EV training in order to unlock the full potential of your Pok&eacute;mon during your journey across the Galar region. Everything I will mention over the course of this article can be done in both versions of the games, and no Nintendo Switch Online membership is required.</p>

<div id="toc">
    <h3>Table of Contents</h3>
    <ul class="links">
        <li><a href="#basics">1. Basics</a></li>
        <li><a href="#pokerus">2. Pok&eacute;rus</a></li>
        <li><a href="#items">3. Items</a></li>
        <li style="list-style-type: none;">
            <ul>
                <li><a href="#held">a. Held Items</a></li>
                <li><a href="#spammable">b. "Spammable" Items</a></li>
                <li style="list-style-type: none;">
                    <ul>
                        <li><a href="#vitamins">Vitamins</a></li>
                        <li><a href="#wings">Wings</a></li>
                    </ul>
                </li>
            </ul>
        </li>
        <li><a href="#pokejobs">4. Pok&eacute; Jobs</a></li>
        <li>
            <ul>
                <li><a href="#standard-seminars">a. Standard Seminars</a></li>
                <li><a href="#exploited-seminars">b. Exploited Seminars</a></li>
            </ul>
        </li>
        <li><a href="#mistakes">5. Correcting Mistakes</a></li>
    </ul>
</div>

<hr />

<h2 id="basics">Basics</h2>

<p>A Pok&eacute;mon can earn a maximum of 510 EVs, 508 of which actually matter, and maximally 252 EVs can be invested into a single stat. At level 100, a Pok&eacute;mon will have one extra stat point for every 4 EVs that were invested into the stat. EVs are traditionally earned when gaining Exp. Points (EXP) by defeating Pok&eacute;mon in battles. This does not only apply to Pok&eacute;mon that you have defeated during random encounters in the wild, but also to Pok&eacute;mon that you defeated during Trainer battles (excluding local or online battles against real players, since they do not give EXP!).</p>

<p>However, do not panic if the Pok&eacute;mon you want to EV train has already reached the maximum level of 100 and is hence no longer able to level up further.
A Pok&eacute;mon's level definitely mattered in the Generation 3 and Generation 4 games back in the day, as said Pok&eacute;mon still had to level up in order to benefit from the earned EVs, which excluded Pok&eacute;mon at level 100; however, this was changed ever since the Generation 5 games. Pok&eacute;mon can nowadays enjoy the effects of EV training immediately after earning EXP, without having to level up first.</p>

<p>Below you can find a list of useful EV training hotspots in the Galar region:</p>

<table class="ev-table" style="text-align: center;">
    <tr>
        <th>Stat</th>
        <th>Pok&eacute;mon</th>
        <th>EVs Earned</th>
        <th>Locations</th>
        <th>Encounter Rate</th>
        <th>Odds of Encountering a Pok&eacute;mon Giving the Desired EVs in This Hotspot</th>
        <th>Weather</th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td rowspan="4">HP</td>
        <td rowspan="2">Skwovet</td>
        <td rowspan="2">1</td>
        <td>Route 1 (Overworld)</td>
        <td>50%</td>
        <td rowspan="4">
            <ul>
                <li>60% (Random Encounter)</li>
                <li>50% (Overworld)</li>
            </ul>
        </td>
        <td rowspan="2">All weather</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Route 1 (Random Encounter)</td>
        <td>40%</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Caterpie</td>
        <td>1</td>
        <td>15%</td>
        <td>All weather</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Hoothoot</td>
        <td>1</td>
        <td>5%</td>
        <td>All weather</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Attack</td>
        <td>Chewtle</td>
        <td>1</td>
        <td>Route 2 - Lakeside (Fishing)</td>
        <td>40%</td>
        <td>40%</td>
        <td>All weather</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Defense</td>
        <td>Rolycoly</td>
        <td>1</td>
        <td>Route 3 (Overworld, close to the first Galar mine)</td>
        <td>99%</td>
        <td>99%</td>
        <td>All weather</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td rowspan="5">Special Attack</td>
        <td rowspan="3">Gastly</td>
        <td rowspan="3">1</td>
        <td>Watchtower Ruins (Overworld)</td>
        <td>60%</td>
        <td>60% (Sandstorm)</td>
        <td>Sandstorm</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>60%</td>
        <td>60% (Fog)</td>
        <td>Fog</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>50%</td>
        <td>50% (Thunderstorm)</td>
        <td>Thunderstorm</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td rowspan="2">Oddish</td>
        <td rowspan="2">1</td>
        <td>Dappled Grove (Overworld)</td>
        <td>60%</td>
        <td>60% (Normal Weather)</td>
        <td>Normal Weather</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Dappled Grove (Overworld)</td>
        <td>60%</td>
        <td>60% (Overcast)</td>
        <td>Overcast</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td rowspan="3">Special Defense</td>
        <td>Gossifleur</td>
        <td>1</td>
        <td>Route 2 - Lakeside (Random Encounter)</td>
        <td>35%</td>
        <td rowspan="3">
            <ul>
                <li>45% (Random Encounter)</li>
                <li>30% (Overworld)</li>
            </ul>
        </td>
        <td rowspan="3">All weather</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td rowspan="2">Blipbug</td>
        <td rowspan="2">1</td>
        <td>Route 2 - Lakeside (Overworld)</td>
        <td>30%</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Route 2 - Lakeside (Random Encounter)</td>
        <td>10%</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td rowspan="3">Speed</td>
        <td>Magikarp</td>
        <td>1</td>
        <td>Route 2 - Main Area (Fishing)</td>
        <td>80%</td>
        <td rowspan="3">
            <ul>
                <li>98% (Surfing)</li>
                <li>80% (Fishing)</li>
            </ul>
        </td>
        <td rowspan="3">All weather</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Arrokuda</td>
        <td>1</td>
        <td>Route 2 - Lake (Surfing)</td>
        <td>70%</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Barraskewda</td>
        <td>2</td>
        <td>Route 2 - Lake (Surfing)</td>
        <td>28%</td>
    </tr>
</table>
<p>Ultimately, the table above sums up the most convenient places for EV training with only Pok&eacute;mon that can be found in both versions of the games, all while keeping the weather dependence at a strict minimum. However, you can use a neat exploit that I am going to explain in further detail subsequently that allows you to skip one day at a time until you get the desired weather. However, if the Pok&eacute;mon you want to EV train is already infected with the Pok&eacute;rus, a useful mechanic that I will later explain, I advise you to put it into a PC Box, in order to prevent it from becoming cured while skipping one or more days!</p>

<p>However, before we move on, I wanted to share a couple of generally helpful tips and tricks that I can recommend from years of personal experience:</p>
<ul>
    <li>Unfortunately, the games do not show you the exact EVs that you have invested into a Pok&eacute;mon. For this reason, I highly recommend physically keeping track of every time you defeat a Pok&eacute;mon either through a notepad app or with a pen and a paper.</li>
    <li>If your Pok&eacute;mon's move has a lot of Power Points (PP), then you can check the amount of used PP in order to keep track of the number of defeated Pok&eacute;mon.</li>
    <li>Because the Exp. Share distributes the earned EXP among the Pok&eacute;mon in your party, this means they also all earn the same amount of EVs. EV training multiple Pok&eacute;mon at once is hence possible.</li>
    <li>You can check if your Pok&eacute;mon has earned all 252 available EVs in a stat by opening the summary screen and pressing the X button in the stats tab. A yellow graph indicates that not all of the EVs have been invested yet, whereas a blue graph indicates that all 510 EVs have been invested. If there are sparkles floating around the stat, then this means that you have successfully maxed out the EVs in this stat.</li>
    <li>Alternatively, you can also check if your Pok&eacute;mon has earned all 510 available EVs by showing your Pok&eacute;mon to the lady in the house to the right of Hammerlocke's central Pok&eacute;mon Center. She will award the Effort Ribbon to every Pok&eacute;mon with maxed out EVs.</li>
</ul>

<p>Considering maxing out a stat can take a quite while if you have to defeat 252 Pok&eacute;mon (1 EV * 252 = 252 EVs), I am now going to use the next couple of paragraphs to show you how you can significantly speed up the EV training process.</p>

<p><a href="#toc">Back to table of contents!</a></p>

<hr />

<h2 id="pokerus">Pok&eacute;rus</h2>

<p>Before I talk about the various items that make EV training a lot more efficient, let me introduce you to an incredibly helpful mechanic that has existed since the original Generation 2 games: the Pok&eacute;rus. This virus can be transmitted to the Pok&eacute;mon at the front of your party if it happens to defeat a wild Pok&eacute;mon that carries it. Alternatively, the virus can also spread either by capturing the wild Pok&eacute;mon or by running from it. There is unfortunately no way of telling whether or not a wild Pok&eacute;mon carries the virus when battling it, but you will be able to tell that your Pok&eacute;mon has caught it by checking for a pink smiley face and the "Pok&eacute;RUS" tag to the left of the Galar region mark on its summary screen. Additionally, the kind nurse at the Pok&eacute;mon Center will also bring it to your attention when you try to heal one or more infected Pok&eacute;mon for the first time. She will say: "Oh... It looks like your Pok&eacute;mon may be infected with the Pok&eacute;rus. Little is known about the Pok&eacute;rus, except that it is a microscopic life-form that attaches itself to Pok&eacute;mon. While infected, Pok&eacute;mon are said to grow exceptionally well.".</p>

<p>Now, you might be wondering: What does "grow exceptionally well" mean? The answer is quite simple: This virus has the same effect as the Macho Brace, an item that I will talk about later, meaning that, while a Pok&eacute;mon is infected with the virus, it will gain twice as many EVs as it normally would.</p>

<p>This means, for example, that while it would normally take 252 defeated Pok&eacute;mon to max out a stat without the Pok&eacute;rus (1 EV * 252 = 252 EVs), it would now only take 126 Pok&eacute;mon to max out a stat with the Pok&eacute;rus ((1 EV * 2) * 126 = 252 EVs).</p>

<p>However, before we go move on, I wanted to share a couple more helpful tips and tricks regarding the Pok&eacute;rus:</p>

<ul>
    <li>The Pok&eacute;rus is incredibly rare (the odds are approximately 5 times lower than encountering a full odds shiny Pok&eacute;mon, or a 3 in 65,536 chance!). However, do not let the rarity of the virus discourage you. Many communities, such as ours, for example, share the virus among their members so that everyone can benefit from it. Sharing and doing a good deed can also be contagious after all, and we gladly help out players that ask in our <a href="/forums/forums/wi-fi.53/" target="_blank">Wi-Fi sub-forum</a> and on our related <a href="//discordapp.com/invite/wBamhYd" target="_blank">Wi-Fi Discord</a> server.</li>
    <li>The Pok&eacute;rus can come in 4 different strains, meaning that it can stay active on a Pok&eacute;mon for either 1, 2, 3, or even 4 days before it gets cured. Unfortunately, there is no way of telling which one of the 4 strains you got, except by letting the clock tick over midnight. I also recommend always keeping a couple of infected Pok&eacute;mon in a PC Box as a sort of backup. You will know when a Pok&eacute;mon is cured when the aforementioned "Pok&eacute;RUS" tag disappears and the crossed out pink smiley face becomes a regular pink smiley face. The virus will be cured once the clock of your console reaches midnight.</li>
    <li>You can spread the Pok&eacute;rus to other Pok&eacute;mon the same way you originally got it: through wild encounters. First, you put both the already infected Pok&eacute;mon and the one that you want to infect in your party, and then you run into wild encounters before running from them until the virus has successfully spread. It can sometimes take a few attempts.</li>
    <li>You can prevent the Pok&eacute;rus from being cured by storing the infected Pok&eacute;mon in the PC. There, the virus will stay active indefinitely. I emphasize again that I highly recommend keeping a couple of infected Pok&eacute;mon around somewhere in a PC Box as a sort of backup.</li>
    <li>While a cured Pok&eacute;mon is no longer able to spread the virus further, it will still be able to benefit from a doubled EVs gain in the future if you decide to re-EV train it.</li>
    <li>However, while the Pok&eacute;rus can be used in combination with the Power Items, which I will explain in further detail in the Held Items section, it has no effect when used in combination with Vitamins and Wings, other items that I am going to explain in further detail in the "Spammable" Items section below.</li>
</ul>

<p>Considering maxing out a stat can still take quite a while if you have to defeat 126 Pok&eacute;mon, I am now going to use the next two sections to show you how you can significantly speed up the EV training process.</p>

<hr />

<h2 id="items">Items</h2>

<h3 id="held">Held Items</h3>

<p>In this section, I am going to talk about held items that can be given to a Pok&eacute;mon in order to help it gain EVs even faster: the Power Items.</p>

<p>The Power Items, their effects, and their in-game locations are as follows:</p>

<table class="ev-table center1 center2">
    <tr>
        <th>Power Item</th>
        <th>Increased Stat</th>
        <th>EVs Earned</th>
        <th>Location</th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Macho Brace</td>

<td>Any</td>

<td>Number of EVs given by a defeated Pok&eacute;mon x2</td>

<td>The Macho Brace can be purchased in exchange for 10 Battle Points (BP) from the League Staff lady in Hammerlocke's central Pok&eacute;mon Center.</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Power Weight</td>

<td>HP</td>

<td>Number of EVs given by a defeated Pok&eacute;mon + 8</td>

<td>The Power Weight can be purchased in exchange for 10 Battle Points (BP) from the League Staff lady in Hammerlocke's central Pok&eacute;mon Center.</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Power Bracer</td>

<td>Attack</td>

<td>The Power Bracer can be purchased in exchange for 10 Battle Points (BP) from the League Staff lady in Hammerlocke's central Pok&eacute;mon Center.</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Power Belt</td>

<td>Defense</td>

<td>The Power Belt can be purchased in exchange for 10 Battle Points (BP) from the League Staff lady in Hammerlocke's central Pok&eacute;mon Center.</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Power Lens</td>

<td>Special Attack</td>

<td>The Power Lens can be purchased in exchange for 10 Battle Points (BP) from the League Staff lady in Hammerlocke's central Pok&eacute;mon Center.</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Power Band</td>

<td>Special Defense</td>

<td>The Power Band can be purchased in exchange for 10 Battle Points (BP) from the League Staff lady in Hammerlocke's central Pok&eacute;mon Center.</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Power Anklet</td>

<td>Speed</td>

<td>The Power Anklet can be purchased in exchange for 10 Battle Points (BP) from the League Staff lady in Hammerlocke's central Pok&eacute;mon Center.</td>
    </tr>
</table>

<p>Here are a few helpful calculations to further explain how the gained EVs are accumulated both with and without the Pok&eacute;rus:</p>
<ul>
    <li>A Pok&eacute;mon without the Pok&eacute;rus holding the Macho Brace will earn 2 EVs each time it defeats a Pok&eacute;mon giving 1 EV: (1 EV * 2 = 2 EVs). It will hence take you 252 EVs / 2 = 126 defeated Pok&eacute;mon to max out a stat.</li>
    <li>A Pok&eacute;mon with the Pok&eacute;rus holding the Macho Brace will earn 4 EVs each time it defeats a Pok&eacute;mon giving 1 EV: ((1 EV * 2) * 2 = 4 EVs). It will hence take you 252 EVs / 4 = 63 defeated Pok&eacute;mon to max out a stat.</li>
    <li>A Pok&eacute;mon without the Pok&eacute;rus holding a Power Item will earn 9 EVs each time it defeats a Pok&eacute;mon giving 1 EV: (1 EV + 8 = 9 EVs). It will hence take you 252 EVs / 9 = 28 defeated Pok&eacute;mon to max out a stat.</li>
    <li>A Pok&eacute;mon with the Pok&eacute;rus holding a Power Item will earn 18 EVs each time it defeats a Pok&eacute;mon giving 1 EV: (1 EV + 8) * 2 = 18 EVs). It will hence take you 252 EVs / 18 = 14 defeated Pok&eacute;mon to max out a stat.</li>
</ul>

<p>Allow me to provide a further example on how to combine methods. Not every EV spread is as straightforward as 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe or 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe. Formats such as VGC require, for example, far more complex and calculated spreads that I am going to illustrate next:</p>

<p>Let us, for instance, take the Careful VGC2020 Incineroar spread: 236 HP / 116 Def / 156 SpD.</p>
<ul>
    <li>The HP EVs could, for example, be acquired by defeating 13 Skwovet while being infected with Pok&eacute;rus and while holding a Power Weight: 13 * 18 EVs = 234 EVs. Now you would simply remove the item and defeat another Skwovet to get the final 2 EVs through Pok&eacute;rus alone: (2 * 1 EV) + 234 EVs = 236 EVs.</li>
    <li>The Defense EVs could, for example, be acquired by defeating 6 Rolycoly while being infected with Pok&eacute;rus and while holding a Power Belt: 6 * 18 EVs = 108 EVs. Now you would simply switch the Power Belt for the Macho Brace and defeat another two Rolycoly to get the final 8 EVs: (((2 * 1 EV) * 2) * 2) + 108 EVs = 116 EVs.</li>
    <li>The remaining 156 Special Defense EVs could be obtained by defeating 9 Gossifleur while being infected with Pok&eacute;rus and while holding a Power Band: 9 * 18 EVs = 162 EVs. Even though Incineroar would gain 162 EVs here, it will only gain 158 because the 510 maximum amount of EVs is reached.</li>
</ul>

<h3 id="spammable">"Spammable" Items</h3>

<h4 id="vitamins">Vitamins</h4>

<p>In this section, I am going to talk about one of two kinds of items that can be applied directly to your Pok&eacute;mon in order to help it gain EVs quickly: the Vitamins.</p>

<p>Below you can find a list of all of the available Vitamins, their respective effects, and where to obtain them:</p>

<tr>
        <th>Vitamin</th>
        <th>Increased Stat</th>
        <th>EVs Earned</th>
        <th>Locations</th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>HP Up</td>

<td>HP</td>

<td>10</td>

<td>HP Up can be purchased in exchange for 2 Battle Points (BP) each from the League Staff lady in Hammerlocke's central Pok&eacute;mon Center. HP Up can also be purchased for 10,000 Pok&eacute; Dollars each at the right counter of Wyndon's southern Pok&eacute;mon Center. HP Up can also be randomly obtained after winning ranked battles in Battle Stadium.</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Protein</td>

<td>Attack</td>

<td>10</td>

<td>Protein can be purchased in exchange for 2 Battle Points (BP) each from the League Staff lady in Hammerlocke's central Pok&eacute;mon Center. Protein can also be purchased for 10,000 Pok&eacute; Dollars each at right counter of Wyndon's southern Pok&eacute;mon Center. Protein can also be randomly obtained after winning ranked battles in Battle Stadium.</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Iron</td>

<td>Defense</td>

<td>10</td>

<td>Iron can be purchased in exchange for 2 Battle Points (BP) each from the League Staff lady in Hammerlocke's central Pok&eacute;mon Center. Iron can also be purchased for 10,000 Pok&eacute; Dollars each at the right counter of Wyndon's southern Pok&eacute;mon Center. Iron can also be randomly obtained after winning ranked battles in Battle Stadium.</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Calcium</td>

<td>Special Attack</td>

<td>10</td>

<td>Calcium can be purchased in exchange for 2 Battle Points (BP) each from the League Staff lady in Hammerlocke's central Pok&eacute;mon Center. Calcium can also be purchased for 10,000 Pok&eacute; Dollars each at the right counter of Wyndon's southern Pok&eacute;mon Center. Calcium can also be randomly obtained after winning ranked battles in Battle Stadium.</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Zinc</td>
        <td>Special Defense</td>
        <td>10</td>
        <td>Zinc can be purchased in exchange for 2 Battle Points (BP) each from the League Staff lady in Hammerlocke's central Pok&eacute;mon Center. Zinc can also be purchased for 10,000 Pok&eacute; Dollars each at the right counter of Wyndon's southern Pok&eacute;mon Center. Zinc can also be randomly obtained after winning ranked battles in Battle Stadium.</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Carbos</td>
        <td>Speed</td>
        <td>10</td>
        <td>Carbos can be purchased in exchange for 2 Battle Points (BP) each from the League Staff lady in Hammerlocke's central Pok&eacute;mon Center. Carbos can also be purchased for 10,000 Pok&eacute; Dollars each at the right counter of Wyndon's southern Pok&eacute;mon Center. Carbos can also be randomly obtained after winning ranked battles in Battle Stadium.</td>
    </tr>
</table>

<p>What makes this method so fast and efficient is the fact that, ever since the Generation 8 games, these items have become usable in bulk.</p>

<p>While you were only able to invest a maximum of 100 EVs by clicking one Vitamin at a time in previous generations, you can freely select 26 vitamins to max out a stat in one click (26 * 10 EVs = 260 EVs), even though the maximum caps at 252.</p>

<h4 id="wings">Wings</h4>

<p>As we have seen, the item method is undeniably faster than the aforementioned one that requires you to defeat Pok&eacute;mon.</p>

<p>However, while the Vitamins method is especially recommendable when it comes to simple EV spreads, I am going to use this section to introduce you to another EV-raising item that can help you obtain more complex EV spreads as well: the Wings.</p>

<p>Below you can find a list of all of the available Wings, their respective effects, and where to obtain them:</p>

<tr>
        <th>Wing</th>
        <th>Increased Stat</th>
        <th>EVs Earned</th>
        <th>Locations</th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Health Wing</td>

<td>HP</td>

<td>1</td>

<td>Health Wings can be found at the shimmering places on the bridges between Route 5 and Hulbury and between Motostoke and the Motostoke Outskirts. Once you have picked up all of the Wings in one area, you will unfortunately have to wait until they respawn on the next day.</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Muscle Wing</td>

<td>Attack</td>

<td>1</td>

<td>Muscle Wings can be found at the shimmering places on the bridges between Route 5 and Hulbury and between Motostoke and the Motostoke Outskirts. Once you have picked up all of the Wings in one area, you will unfortunately have to wait until they respawn on the next day.</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Resist Wing</td>

<td>Defense</td>

<td>1</td>

<td>Resist Wings can be found at the shimmering places on the bridges between Route 5 and Hulbury and between Motostoke and the Motostoke Outskirts. Once you have picked up all of the Wings in one area, you will unfortunately have to wait until they respawn on the next day.</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Genius Wing</td>

<td>Special Attack</td>

<td>1</td>

<td>Genius Wings can be found at the shimmering places on the bridges between Route 5 and Hulbury and between Motostoke and the Motostoke Outskirts. Once you have picked up all of the Wings in one area, you will unfortunately have to wait until they respawn on the next day.</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Clever Wing</td>

<td>Special Defense</td>

<td>1</td>

<td>Clever Wings can be found at the shimmering places on the bridges between Route 5 and Hulbury and between Motostoke and the Motostoke Outskirts. Once you have picked up all of the Wings in one area, you will unfortunately have to wait until they respawn on the next day.</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Swift Wing</td>

<td>Speed</td>

<td>1</td>

<td>Swift Wings can be found at the shimmering places on the bridges between Route 5 and Hulbury and between Motostoke and the Motostoke Outskirts. Once you have picked up all of the Wings in one area, you will unfortunately have to wait until they respawn on the next day.</td>
    </tr>
</table>

<p>While the Wings are also "spammable", you can only find a limited amount of them on a daily basis.</p>
<p>This is why I suggest combining them with Vitamins in order to obtain complex EV spreads.</p>

<p>Let us go back to the example of the Careful VGC2020 Incineroar spread from the Power Items paragraph: 236 HP / 116 Def / 156 SpD.</p>
<ul>
    <li>The HP EVs could, for example, be acquired by using 23 HP Up and 6 Health Wings: (23 * 10 EVs) + (6 * 1 EV) = 236 EVs.</li>
    <li>The Defense EVs could, for example, be acquired by using 11 Iron and 6 Resist Wings: (11 * 10 EVs) + (6 * 1 EV) = 116 EVs.</li>
    <li>The Special Defense EVs could be obtained by using 15 Zinc and 6 Clever Wings: (15 * 10 EVs) + (6 * 1 EV) = 156 EVs.</li>
</ul>

<hr />

<h2 id="pokejobs">Pok&eacute; Jobs</h2>

<h3 id="standard-seminars">Standard Seminars</h3>

<p>Now, despite the fact that EV training has become a lot faster and more convenient over the years, doing it manually still requires you to pay attention in order to keep track of what you are doing. However, I am going to use the following paragraphs to introduce another EV training method that, much like the Isle Evelup in Generation 7's Pok&eacute; Pelago, automatically EV trains your Pok&eacute;mon for you: the Pok&eacute; Jobs.</p>

<p>You can access the Pok&eacute; Jobs by talking to the Rotom PC that can be found in every single Pok&eacute;mon Center across the Galar region. While the regular Pok&eacute; Jobs are cycled through on a daily basis, the EV training seminars offered by the Hammerlocke University are always available. Below you can find a list of all of the available seminars and how many EVs can be earned:</p>

<table class="ev-table" style="text-align: center; max-width: 205px;">
    <tr>
        <th>Seminars</th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>HP seminar in session!</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Attack seminar in session!</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Defense seminar in session!</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Sp. Atk seminar in session!</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Sp. Def seminar in session!</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Speed seminar in session!</td>
    </tr>
</table>

<p>You can register up to 10 Pok&eacute;mon at once per seminar, and then you get to pick a time frame during which they will complete the seminar. Here is a list of the time frames and their conversion to real time:</p>

<table class="ev-table" style="text-align: center; max-width: 300px;">
    <tr>
        <th>Time Frame</th>
        <th>Real Time</th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Whole Day</td>

<td>24 hours</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Half Day</td>

<td>12 hours</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Very Long</td>

<td>8 hours</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Long</td>

<td>4 hours</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Short</td>

<td>3 hours</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Very Short</td>

<td>2 hours</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Just a little</td>

<td>1 hour</td>
    </tr>
</table>

<p>Normally a Pok&eacute;mon will gain 4 EVs for every completed hour, but you can increase the amount of gained EVs with the Pok&eacute;rus and held items. Below you can find a list showing you the EV gains in real time for every possible scenario:</p>

<table class="ev-table" style="text-align: center; max-width: 750px;">
    <tr>
        <th>Scenario</th>
        <th>1 hour</th>
        <th>2 hours</th>
        <th>3 hours</th>
        <th>4 hours</th>
        <th>8 hours</th>
        <th>12 hours</th>
        <th>24 hours</th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>No Pok&eacute;rus + Itemless</td>

<td>4 EVs</td>

<td>8 EVs</td>

<td>12 EVs</td>

<td>16 EVs</td>

<td>32 EVs</td>

<td>48 EVs</td>

<td>96 EVs</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Pok&eacute;rus + Itemless</td>

<td>8 EVs</td>

<td>16 EVs</td>

<td>24 EVs</td>

<td>32 EVs</td>

<td>64 EVs</td>

<td>96 EVs</td>

<td>192 EVs</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>No Pok&eacute;rus + Macho Brace</td>

<td>8 EVs</td>

<td>16 EVs</td>

<td>24 EVs</td>

<td>32 EVs</td>

<td>64 EVs</td>

<td>96 EVs</td>

<td>192 EVs</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Pok&eacute;rus + Macho Brace</td>

<td>16 EVs</td>

<td>32 EVs</td>

<td>48 EVs</td>

<td>64 EVs</td>

<td>128 EVs</td>

<td>192 EVs</td>

<td>252 EVs</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>No Pok&eacute;rus + Power Item</td>

<td>12 EVs</td>

<td>24 EVs</td>

<td>36 EVs</td>

<td>48 EVs</td>

<td>96 EVs</td>

<td>144 EVs</td>

<td>252 EVs</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Pok&eacute;rus + Power Item</td>

<td>24 EVs</td>

<td>48 EVs</td>

<td>72 EVs</td>

<td>96 EVs</td>

<td>192 EVs</td>

<td>252 EVs</td>

<td>252 EVs</td>
    </tr>
</table>

<h3 id="exploited-seminars">Exploited Seminars</h3>

<p>Sometimes having to wait 8, 12, or even 24 hours for seminars to finish can feel like an eternity. In the following paragraph I am going to show step-by-step how you can easily skip the waiting time by exploiting an in-game glitch. While there are alternative methods to pull this off, I decided to specifically focus on this variant, since it does not require a Nintendo Switch Online membership, and I would not want to exclude any of our readers. However, keep in mind that Game Freak can patch this exploit in the future, meaning that while it worked at the time I wrote this guide, it might unfortunately not work by the time you are reading this. So, let us not waste any time and make good use of it as long as we can!</p>

<p>Let us get started:</p>

<ol>
    <li>Use the Rotom PC in any Pok&eacute;mon Center to send up to 10 Pok&eacute;mon that you want to EV train to do their seminars as you normally would.</li>
    <li>Go and find a den in the Wild Area. It can either be a den that is already active, or you can simply use a Wishing Piece to activate a currently inactive den. Both methods work.</li>
    <li>Interact with the den and click the "Invite Others" option.</li>
    <li>Press the "HOME" button to access the main menu and proceed to open the System Settings.</li>
    <li>Scroll all the way down to "System" and then pick the "Date and Time" option under "Language" and "Region".</li>
    <li>Ensure that the "Synchronize Time via Internet" option is set to "Off".</li>
    <li>Change the date on your console to the next day and click "OK" once you have done so.</li>
    <li>Press "B" to go back into the main menu and go back to your Pok&eacute;mon Sword or Pok&eacute;mon Shield game.</li>
    <li>Back in-game, you cancel the raid and travel to the nearest Pok&eacute;mon Center.</li>
    <li>Use the Rotom PC to check the Pok&eacute; Jobs and you will see the seminar(s) will have been completed.</li>
</ol>

<hr />
<h2 id="mistakes">Correcting Mistakes</h2>

<p>Last but not least, I am going to show you how you can easily remove EVs again with the help of a certain type of berries.</p>

<p>This is useful if you made a mistake while EV training a new Pok&eacute;mon or if you want to change the EV spread of one of your already fully EV trained Pok&eacute;mon. Ever since the Generation 8 games, these berries have become usable in bulk, much like the aforementioned Vitamins and Wings. They can be found on Berry trees in the Galar region and obtained as rewards after successful Max Raid Battles. However, these berries, much like the Vitamins and Wings mentioned above, are not affected by the Pok&eacute;rus!</p>

<p>Below you can find a list with all of the available berries, their effects, and where to get them:</p>

<tr>
        <th>Berry</th>
        <th>Decreased Stat</th>
        <th>EVs Removed</th>
        <th>Secondary Effect</th>
        <th>Berry Tree Locations</th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Pomeg Berry</td>

<td>HP</td>

<td>10</td>

<td>This Berry will also raise the Pok&eacute;mon's Happiness level by +10 if its level is 0-99, by +5 if its level is 100-159, and by +1 if its level is 160-255.</td>
        <td>
            <ul>
                <li>Route 7</li>
                <li>Bridge Field (Wild Area)</li>
                <li>Dappled Grove (Wild Area)</li>
                <li>Giant's Mirror (Wild Area)</li>
                <li>Hammerlocke Hills (Wild Area)</li>
                <li>Motostoke Riverbank (Wild Area)</li>
            </ul>
        </td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Kelpsy Berry</td>

<td>Attack</td>

<td>10</td>

<td>This Berry will also raise the Pok&eacute;mon's Happiness level by +10 if its level is 0-99, by +5 if its level is 100-159, and by +1 if its level is 160-255.</td>
        <td>
            <ul>
                <li>Route 7</li>
                <li>Rolling Fields (Wild Area)</li>
            </ul>
        </td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Qualot Berry</td>

<td>Defense</td>

<td>10</td>

<td>
            <ul>
                <li>Route 7</li>
                <li>Giant's Cap (Wild Area)</li>
                <li>Giant's Seat (Wild Area)</li>
            </ul>
        </td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Hondew Berry</td>

<td>Special Attack</td>

<td>10</td>

<td>
            <ul>
                <li>Route 7</li>
                <li>North Lake Miloch</li>
            </ul>
        </td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Grepa Berry</td>

<td>Special Defense</td>

<td>10</td>

<td>
            <ul>
                <li>Route 7</li>
                <li>Dappled Grove (Wild Area)</li>
            </ul>
        </td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Tamato Berry</td>

<td>Speed</td>

<td>10</td>

<td>
            <ul>
                <li>Route 7</li>
                <li>Giant's Cap (Wild Area)</li>
                <li>Motostoke Riverbank (Wild Area</li>
            </ul>
        </td>
    </tr>
</table>

<hr />

<h2>Conclusion</h2>

<p style="margin-bottom: 1em;">This about sums up everything you need to know about EV training in Generation 8. In hindsight, when it comes to the fastest EV training method in Generation 8, then it definitely has to be the exploit method, closely followed by the method involving the Vitamins. Not only can they be purchased at incredibly low prices, but they are also "spammable" now. In this sense, Generation 8 has a huge advantage compared to the previous generations, and you should definitely not let this opportunity slide. Feel free to be creative and combine different EV training methods, especially when it comes to very specific EV spreads that require precision over speed. Now you know the various ways to efficiently unlock your Pok&eacute;mon's full potential. So, what are you waiting for? Go out there and be the best trainer you can be!</p>
for the first table, I had to structure it slightly differently than the BBCode of this one. I have left the borders in some places, because I personally find it more convenient to have an easier way of telling which cell applies to which Pokemon. I am willing to remove those borders, if it's needed.

Since I had to restructure it a bit, I also had to write off stuff by hand. I couldn't find anywhere where I messed up, but please double-check to make sure I haven't messed up somewhere when I was copying over.

The Dutch Plumberjack / Quite Quiet

e: live preview: https://scms-u-lazy_connection_gym.www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/ev_training_gen_8

Last edited:

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
HTML:
<p>Allow me to provide a further example on how to combine methods.</p>
<p>Not every EV spread is as straightforward as 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe or 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe.</p>
<p>Formats such as VGC require, for example, far more complex and calculated spreads that I am going to illustrate next:</p>
this should just be one paragraph imo, same with a few other places where a bunch of one-line paragraphs are p clearly units

remove the colons from the header cells

imo where you can try to adjust column width so that it's somewhat consistent w/ when things get broken over two lines (ofc it's sorta whatever if "Defense" is one line and "Special Defense" is two, but one-line "Power Belt" vs two-line "Power Lens" doesn't look fantastic. same thing for berry names being broken over two lines while there's a massive amount of horizontal space left in adjacent cells). nitpick though so consider this a suggestion

no further comments Ryota Mitarai gj and sorry for the wait

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributor
this should just be one paragraph imo, same with a few other places where a bunch of one-line paragraphs are p clearly units
done, I went and united all one-liners (note that I avoided touching two-liners specifically, lmk if I should nuke those too)

remove the colons from the header cells
done

imo where you can try to adjust column width so that it's somewhat consistent w/ when things get broken over two lines (ofc it's sorta whatever if "Defense" is one line and "Special Defense" is two, but one-line "Power Belt" vs two-line "Power Lens" doesn't look fantastic. same thing for berry names being broken over two lines while there's a massive amount of horizontal space left in adjacent cells). nitpick though so consider this a suggestion
done, hopefully I didn't break any of the tables when I did it

e: Hondew Berry still broke over two lines and fixed it

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)