move 2: Hidden Power Fire/Hidden Power Ice<br />
move 3: Flash Cannon<br />
move 4: Volt Switch<br />
ability: Magnet Pull<br />
item: Choice Specs<br />
evs: 172 HP / 252 SAtk / 84 Spe<br />
nature: Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)</p>

< p>
  • Bread and butter set that takes advantage of Magnezone's massive Special Attack and the fact that most of Magnezone's victims are rather slow.
  • Thunderbolt for STAB, Flash Cannon for Fairies, Volt Switch for scouting, and Hidden Power for coverage.
  • Fire is preferred because it kills Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Klefki, although damage has been weakened. Ice is useful against Dragon-types locked into Outrage.</p>

< p>
  • Eliminates Steel-types as always for pokemon such as Garchomp, Salamence, Scizor, and Cloyster.
  • Appreciates Sticky Web support.</p>

< p>name: Substitute<br />
move 1: Thunderbolt<br />
move 2: Hidden Power Fire/Hidden Power Ice<br />
move 3: Substitute<br />
move 4: Flash Cannon/Charge Beam<br />
ability: Magnet Pull<br />
item: Leftovers/Salac Berry<br />
evs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe<br />
nature: Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)</p>

< p>
  • Set revolves around how Magnezone, with its useful resistances and decent bulk, can trap and laugh off the attacks of many bulky Steel-types, such as Ferrothorn and Scizor locked into Bullet Punch or Pursuit.
  • With these unfortunate Pokemon unable to escape Magnezone's clutches, Magnezone can easily set up a Substitute to temporarily protect it from harm from the next switch-in.
  • To further take advantage of the hopeless situation, Charge Beam is recommended as it can boost Magnezone's Special Attack, which can be devastating when behind a sub,
  • but Flash Cannon can be used depending on your team's needs.
  • Hidden Powers are once again for coverage.</p>

< p>
  • Timid with 252 Spe EVs outspeeds neutral base 70 Pokémon and Adamant Breloom
  • But 216 Spe EVs is enough to outspeed Adamant Scizor, although being able to outspeed Adamant Breloom will be missed.
  • Salac Berry boosts Speed after four Subs and allows it to outspeed Positive base 110 Pokémon and below</p>

< p>name: Analytic<br />
move 1: Thunder<br />
move 2: Hidden Power Fire<br />
move 3: Flash Cannon<br />
move 4: Volt Switch<br />
ability: Analytic<br />
item: Choice Specs<br />
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk<br />
nature: Quiet (+SAtk, -Spe)</p>

<p>
  • This set takes full advantage of an often overlooked ability: Analytic
  • Sacrifices trapping ability for more power, plus, some opponents will assume Magnezone has Magnet Pull and not attempt to switch.
  • For example, Thunder 2HKOs Dragonite with Multiscale factored in and Charizard X, among others
  • Even Volt Switch deals massive damage and is more likely to gain the momentum it was designed for in the case of double Volt Switches or U-Turns.</p>
<p>
  • Really appreciates the extra power of Thunder, so Drizzle support from Politoed or manual rain setup is invaluable.
  • Stealth Rock and Spikes turn 2HKOs into 1HKOs, but Sticky Web defeats the purpose of Analytic.

[Checks and Counters]

< p>
  • Bulky Ground-types like Hippowdon can survive any of Magnezone's attacks easily and 1HKO back with Earthquake.
  • Blissey, Chansey, and Snorlax take pitiful damage.
  • Many Fire- and Fighting-types such as Heracross can outspeed and KO.
  • Goodra has immense Special bulk and can take just about anything Magnezone throws at it and take it out with a variety of Super-Effective attacks such as Fire Blast. </p>

Last edited:

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
[Pros]

< ul>
< li>Same as always: traps and eliminates opposing Steel-types.</li>
< li>Magnezone's Steel-type is also useful vs. Fairies.</li>
< li>Can add Aegislash and Klefki to hitlist.</li>
< li>Outstanding 130 base Special Attack.</li>
< li>Speed issues can be patched somewhat with Sticky Web support.</li>
< li>Many useful resists.</li>
< /ul>
</li>
Honestly, I faced Aegislash one on one with Magnezone, and I actually lost due to Magnezone no longer resisting Shadow Sneak. I can't remember the exact circumstances, but I wouldn't say it traps Aegislash at all. However, leave it there for now and see what other QC members have to say about it.

[Cons]

< ul>
< li>Weak to common attacks.</li>
< li>So slow without support.</li>
< li>Drop in popularity of Steel-types.</li>
< li>Thunderbolt and Hidden Power nerf.</li>
< li>Predictable movepool.</li>
< /ul>
Everything looks fine here

[Set Recommendations]

< p>Magnezone @ Choice Specs<br />
Trait: Magnet Pull<br />
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SAtk / 84 Spe<br />
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)<br />
- Thunderbolt<br />
- Flash Cannon<br />
- Volt Switch<br />
- Hidden Power Fire/Hidden Power Ice</p>

< p>

• Bread and butter set that takes advantage of Magnezone's massive Special Attack and the fact that most of Magnezone's victims are rather slow.
    • Thunderbolt for STAB, Flash Cannon for Fairies, Volt Switch for scouting, and Hidden Power for coverage.
    • Fire is preferred because it kills Scizor and Ferrothorn, although damage has been weakened. Ice is useful against Dragon-types locked into Outrage.</p>
< p>

• Eliminates Steel-types as always for pokemon such as Garchomp, Salamence, Scizor, and Cloyster.
    • Appreciates Sticky Web support.</p>
Everything looks fine here

< p>Magnezone @ Choice Scarf<br />
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe<br />
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)<br />
- Thunderbolt<br />
- Flash Cannon<br />
- Volt Switch<br />

• Attempts to patch up Magnezone's otherwise sluggish speed.
    • Can unexpectedly revenge kill many pokemon, although the drop in power is noticeable.
    • Thunderbolt and Flash Cannon are essential STABs, Volt Switch once again scouts, and Hidden Power is for coverage.</p>
< p>

• Appreciates Spikes and Stealth Rock support because of the drop in power compared to the Specs set.
    • This is especially noticeable because of Thunderbolt and Hidden Power's BP nerf.</p>
I understand that this is in it's skeleton form, but I'd mention that even with a Choice Scarf you're still being out sped by Starmie, Talonflame, Alakazam, and other really fast Pokemon.

< p>Magnezone @ Leftovers<br />
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe<br />
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)<br />
- Thunderbolt<br />
- Charge Beam/Flash Cannon<br />
- Substitute<br />

• Set revolves around how Magnezone, with its useful resistances and decent bulk, can trap and laugh off the attacks of many bulky Steel-types, such as Skarmory and Scizor locked into Bullet Punch or Pursuit.
    • With these unfortunate Pokemon unable to escape Magnezone's clutches, Magnezone can easily set up a Substitute to temporarily protect it from harm from the next switch-in.
    • To further take advantage of the hopeless situation, Charge Beam is recommended as it can boost Magnezone's Special Attack, which can be devastating when behind a sub,
    • but Flash Cannon can be used depending on your team's needs.
    • Hidden Powers are once again for coverage.</p>
Few things here. first I'd mention why you're running Timid over Modest. The EVs listed allow Magnezone to outspeed an Adamant Breloom, KOing it quickly with Hidden Power Ice. A Timid nature allows Magnezone to outspeed neutral base 70 Pokemon. Transferring 36 Speed EVs to HP can increase Magnezone's bulk while still outspeeding Adamant Scizor, though outspeeding Breloom is important. Secondly, I'd slash Salac Berry as an item, as I remember it being used quite effectively by some good players, so I'd at least mention it somewhere. Finally, you say Magnezone can set up on Skarmory, which isn't true. Skarmory always carries Whirlwind and often carries Taunt, so Magnezone can't set up on Skarmory.

[Checks and Counters]

< p>

• Bulky Ground-types like Hippowdon can survive any of Magnezone's attacks easily and 1HKO back with Earthquake.
    • Blissey and Chansey take pitiful damage.
    • Many Fire- and Fighting-types such as Blaziken can outspeed and KO.</p>

Looks good.

So far this thread is looking nice. Good job. Update the few changes I suggested, and I think I'll be ready to QC it.

Last edited:

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm not QC, but Aegislash vs Magnezone is really funky.

You're likely stepping in during the revenge or probably to predict the King's Shield for starters. Revenge situations are funkier, but we'll likely assume for King's Shield fiasco it's going to be at full health when Magnezone comes in. Since Aegislash is slower, it'll have the advantage of having 150 Def / 150 SpD almost at all times (unless it Shadow Sneaks).

Anyway:

Modest Choice Specs Magnezone vs 252 HP / 0 SpD Defensive Stance Aegislash - 52.2% - 62%
Timid Choice Specs Magnezone vs same - 48.1% - 56.8%
Timid no item boost (i.e. Choice Scarf, Leftovers, max SpA) vs same - 31.8% - 38%

Now on the reverse:

No investment SpA w/ Shadow Ball vs 4 HP / 0 SpD Magnezone - 41.7% - 49.1%
Quiet max SpA w/Shadow Ball vs same - 54% - 63.9%
Adamant max Atk w/Sacred Sword vs same - 66% - 77.8%
+2 Atk SS - 130.9% - 154.3%

So honestly I think it all depends on how it plays out, but these are just some calc examples to help explain the situation better.

I agree, trapping and killing Aegislash is a bit iffy, but it is possible with some prior damage. I'll let QC decide on this one.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I've been using Specs Magnezone on the ladder (because I'm trying to test Gogoat and Ferrothorn and Skarm are jerks...) and it's doing quite well trapping Aegislash too. Just takes a little bit of prediction, not even all that much.

I agree, but it is true that there's less breathing room for the Scarf and Sub sets. Anyway I don't know what else to add to the skeleton so I believe its ready for QC.

CBManBearPig This has been neglected far too long, sorry.

-I feel that the choice scarf set is outdone by magneton who outpaces very important threats with a scarf, Magnezone loses out on too much to warrant a scarf set. So it can be removed.
-C&C add Goodra as it is very bulky and can retaliate with a super effective attack of its choice. MegacharizardX can take any attack due to Fire/Dragon typing, maybe a small mention.
-Remove Klefki from the pros and mention it where you mention Ferrothorn and Scizor being trapped targets.

But 216 Spe EVs is enough to outspeed Adamant Scizor, although being able to outspeed Adamant Breloom will be missed.
-Remove this as Scizor does not invest heavily in Speed anymore. Instead you can talk about what Salac berry allows Zone to outpace once activated.

-Change your 2 sets to the new format posted by SDS.

name: <SET NAME>
move 1:
move 2:
move 3:
move 4:
ability:
item:
evs:
nature:

Last edited:
Thanks I kinda forgot about it myself. Can't fix tonight because I am afflicted with homework but tomorrow I'll get right to it.
EDIT: Fixed. Also removed mention of Blaziken.

Last edited:

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think Analytic Specs Magnezone is worth an AC mention on the Specs set, and here's why:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Analytic Magnezone Thunder vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Breloom: 291-342 (111 - 130.5%) -- Thunderbolt also OHKOes after SR + LO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Analytic Magnezone Thunder vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Chesnaught: 243-287 (76.4 - 90.2%) -- vs. not even a guaranteed 2HKO normally.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Analytic Magnezone Thunder vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 192-226 (59.2 - 69.7%) -- over half with Multiscale intact, meaning if it has Roost it can't just restore Multiscale. HP Ice also has a probability to OHKO through Multiscale, even.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Analytic Magnezone Hidden Power Ice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Yache Berry Garchomp: 320-378 (89.3 - 105.5%) -- high probability to OHKO through Yache after SR, which is a pretty impressive feat.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Analytic Magnezone Thunder vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard X: 220-259 (74 - 87.2%) -- a nigh guaranteed OHKO after SR.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Analytic Magnezone Thunder vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Kangaskhan: 384-453 (109 - 128.6%) -- it's now a guaranteed OHKO on Mega Kangaskhan, which doesn't KO with Power-Up Punch.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Analytic Magnezone Thunder vs. 252 HP / 244+ SpD Mega Scizor: 279-328 (81.1 - 95.3%) -- this is big, a good chance for an OHKO after SR and guaranteed with 1 layer of Spikes extra on a Pokemon among the bulkiest special-wise.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Analytic Magnezone Thunder vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Tyranitar: 330-388 (96.4 - 113.4%) -- Mega Tyranitar has huge special bulk, so when you can OHKO the standard DD set the majority of the time and guaranteed after SR, you're in a good spot.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Analytic Magnezone Hidden Power Ice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Nidoking: 356-420 (117.1 - 138.1%) -- this is just a good number in general, OHKOing Nidoking, which would attempt to switch into your Electric STAB and get smacked across the face.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Analytic Magnezone Thunder vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 363-427 (119.4 - 140.4%) -- this is, for sure, a big achievement, as OHKOing Rotom-W is no small feat, especially for Magnezone.

Thunder in general is a great move for an Analytic Specs set; it enables it to nab so many OHKOs/2HKOs. For example, even the non-Analytic-boosted Thunder can 2HKO Goodra with SR + 2 layers of Spikes on the field. Though this is a good amount of hazards, it just goes to show how powerful Thunder can be. It also guarantees an OHKO on Mega Aggron and CB Scizor.

Anyways, back to the calcs...they are very impressive. This is without even delving into Flash Cannon, which adds a whole new layer of power (OHKOing Sylveon !_! and most other Fairy-types). The calcs provide, at the very least, reason to give an Analytic Specs set (Thunder / Volt Switch / Hidden Power Ice / Flash Cannon) an AC mention with Politoed/manual RD setter support.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Jukain is right and i would actually like to see Analytic slashed after Magnet Pull. Slow Volt Switch for momentum that hits like a fucking truck, ability to 2HKO everything not named Chansey / Blissey, and solid resists and physical bulk differentiate Magnezone from other Specs users, such as Goodra, Jolteon, and Chandelure.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think one thing to consider just how different the two sets play. Choice Specs Magnet Pull is, for all intents and purposes, a specialized Steel killer. This means you have to play it conservatively until the opposing Steel you wish to trap is gone, and even after it's really not all that powerful.

Analytic changes the game entirely. Without the stresses of having to trap Steel-types, you can feel free to play Magnezone more aggressively. Also, it's way more powerful, completely redefining what can check and counter it.

The fact that Analytic and Magnet Pull sets are fundamentally different in so many aspects leaves me suspect that they could actually be effectively merged onto one set. In AC, it is fine to list options that redefine the set, but in the set comments, this will cause having to explain, in essence, two different sets.

Just some things to consider. It may be wise to leave them as slashed for now, and see how much the problems I mentioned present themselves while writing, but I would consider separating them, at the very least.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I am ok with separating them too, if the writing doesn't end up being smooth and clear. As long as Analytics Specs gets a main set, i am fine.

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
plus, some opponents will assume Magnezone has Magnet Pull and not attempt to switch.
I don't think this should be mentioned in the analysis, since it's based on taking advantage of your opponent's clumsiness. There is no penalty or risk for checking if you can switch or not, so everybody should take a glimpse.

i think magnezone best set this gen is timid choice scarf, you can destroy mega lucario especialy after a close combat since you quad resist bullet punch and resist extremespeed, klefi cant touch you since Twave doesnt affect eletric pokemons anymore,takes care of a weakneed mega scizor,ferrothorn,mega mawile and such, been using it on shodown with great sucess

CBManBearPig

-I feel that the choice scarf set is outdone by magneton who outpaces very important threats with a scarf, Magnezone loses out on too much to warrant a scarf set. So it can be removed.
If you see a magneton and the rest of your opponent's team is legitimate looking it is pretty obviously scarfed. Magnezone is not really obvious, the only downside of scarf magnezone is it can't outspeed jolly mega lucario. Otherwise the surprise factor and added power make it better imo.

If you see a magneton and the rest of your opponent's team is legitimate looking it is pretty obviously scarfed. Magnezone is not really obvious, the only downside of scarf magnezone is it can't outspeed jolly mega lucario. Otherwise the surprise factor and added power make it better imo.
timid choice scarf magnezone does outspeed jolly/timid mega lucario, it ouspeeds every pokemon until base 114 speed with plus speed nature

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)