Status
Not open for further replies.

[Pros]
<ul>
<li>It has an awesome Attack stat.</li>
<li>Great bulk and access to Dragon Dance make it a fearsome sweeper.</li>
<li>It has an immunity to Toxic Spikes, Spikes and Sticky Web.</li>
<li> It resists Fighting- and Steel-type attacks.</li>
<li>Immunity to Ground-type attacks gives it many opportunities to switch in.</li>
<li>It has access to Moxie, which combined with Dragon Dance, allows it to become a huge threat when kills a Pokemon.</li>
<li>When it Mega Evolves, its Attack, Defense, and Special Defencse stats rise.</li>
<li>After it Mega Evolves, it resists Ghost-type attacks, making it a good check to Ghost-types such as Aegislash.</li>
<li>When it Mega Evolves, thanks to Mold Breaker, Gyarados hits hard Rotom-W with Earthquake.</li>
</ul>

[Cons]
<ul>
<li>It is x4 weak to Electric.</li>
<li>Its Stealth rRock weakness limits the number of times it can switch in.</li>
<li>81 base Speed means that it is outsped by a variety of threats.</li>
<li>When it Mega Evolves, its type becomes Water / Dark, and it isn't exactly great.</li>
<li>Water / Dark type means that it is weak to Mach Punch and other Fighting-type moves in its Mega form.</li>
<li>After it Mega Evolves, it loses Moxie.</li>
</ul>

[Set Recommendations]

<p>Gyarados @ Leftovers<br />
Ability: Moxie<br />
EVs: 88 HP / 248 Atk / 4 Def / 168 Spe <br />
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SAtk)<br />
- Substitute / Taunt<br />
- Dragon Dance<br />
- Waterfall<br />
- Stone Edge / Earthquake</p>

• Able to make a solid Substitute.
  • Able to use Taunt for stop those who try to boost itself with Swords Dance or Dragon Dance.
  • Access to Dragon Dance.
  • Access to Moxie for boost attack stat without to use Dragon Dance.
  • Great base 125 attack and great offensive STAB.
  • Partners well with Grass-types like Breloom or Venusaur that kill easy bulky water Pokemons.

<p>Gyarados @ Lum Berry / Life Orb<br />
Ability: Moxie<br />
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe <br />
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SAtk) / Adamant (+Atk, - Satk)<br />
- Dragon Dance<br />
- Waterfall<br />
- Stone Edge<br / >
- Earthquake</p>

• The most offensive set.
  • Great base 125 Atk, Dragon Dance, and great offensive STABs make this a potent threat.
  • Moxie makes Gyarados a war machine for each kill.
  • Low speed can let it down, choice between Jolly and Adamant.
  • More coverage with Stone Edge and Earthquake together in the set.
  • Terrifying power under rain.
  • Good teammates are Garchomp to cover Electric-types, Aegislash can switch in Rock-type attacks.

<p>Gyarados @ Leftovers<br />
Ability: Intimidate<br />
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD<br />
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)<br />
- Waterfall<br />
- Roar / Dragon Tail<br />
- Rest<br />
- Sleep Talk</p>

• Great bulk make it a good bulky water.
  • Excellent type with resistence to Steel- Fighting- and Bug-type attacks.
  • Access to Roar to drive out setup pokemons and it isn't stopped by Substitute, Fairy-type pokemons or King's Shield.
  • But Dragon Tail causes damage and isn't affected by Magic Bounce or Taunt.
  • This set works at best with some Entry Hazard onto the opponent's field, thanks to the last move.
  • So, a good partner is Ferrothorn with its Stealth Rock, Spikes and resistance to rock- and electric-type moves.

[Mega Evolution Recommendations]

<p>Gyarados @ Gyaradosite<br />
Ability: Intimidate / Moxie<br />
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd<br />
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)<br />
- Dragon Dance<br />
- Waterfall<br />
- Earthquake<br / >
- Bite / Stone Edge / Substitute</p>

• More power thanks to the Mega evolution.
  • Now that Mega Gyarados has Water and Dark type, you can take advantage of Bite with the relative flinch rate.
  • Earthquake now can hit Rotom-W, the best opponent of Gyarados in the old BW, thanks to Mold Breaker.
  • With Water / Dark type, Mega Gyarados resist to Aegislash's STABs such as Iron Head and Shadow Sneak.
  • Good teammates are Gourgeist (Super or Large) for stop Breloom. Gliscor and Talonflame can kill Scizor and Ferrothorn.

[Checks and Counters]

Gyarados
  • Skarmory is ever ready to drive out Gyarados with Whirlwind.
  • Ferrothorn can broke any Gyarados' substitutes with Power Whip.
  • Rotom-Wash is just scared by Stone Edge when Gyarados is too boosted, otherwise the washing-machine can kill him easy with a Volt Switch or stops with Will-O-Wisp.
  • Toxicroak wrecking Gyarados if it lacks Earthquake, and can use it as setup field.
  • Fast Electric-types such as Jolteon and Heliolisk with Choice Scarf, are good checks and kill Gyarados with their STABs.
  • MegaVenusaur and Trevenant can stomach hits and can stop it with Leech Seed, Sleep Powder or their STABs.

Mega Gyarados
  • Breloom can scare him with Bullet Seed or Mach Punch.
  • Scizor can count on his U-turn and Superpower.
  • Chesnaught can hit hard with his fighting moves.
  • Anyway, Skarmory and Ferrothorn are even valid.
  • MegaVenusaur can stomach hits and can stop it with Leech Seed, Sleep Powder or its STAB.

Last edited:

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Mega Gyarados is probably best used taking advantage of the increased bulk by going with a RestTalk set, imo. I don't think the offensive set merits use, especially since as you pointed out, it's now weak to Mach Punch, greatly easing its revengeability, which is one of the best parts about Offensive Gyarados without the mega evolution.

<p>A more offensive approach to the previous set. Life Orb powers up attacks, at the cost of some HP, but if the team gyarados is in finds status moves problematic, Lum Berry can be an excellent option. The nature is divided in 2 choices: Jolly if you want more Speed or Adamant if you like to make more damage. With Moxie like trait, Jolly Nature is prefered than Adamant, also for outspeed more Pokémon than the boost, but the Adamant though allows him more raw power, so the nature is a personal choice. </p>
Aside from the note on the ability, this sentence is redundant with the sentence right before it. Just change this to note that Moxie is the best ability.

Even though it's Mega form gives increased defenses, I'm not sure if its type makes a ResTalk set viable. This is up for debate though, but a similar ResTalk set should be made for the normal form.

Yeah I have been using the rest talk and have to say it is very effective in this meta (sleep not resetting is a god send) this is the set I am currently using.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Waterfall
- Dragon Tail
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

I imagine Roar can be slashed with Dragon Tail as an alternative phasing option (to knock out subs). If you want I can help out with teammates and stuff.

Snowflakes

Dango Dango Daikazoku
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
the resttalkdd set rapes frizy, it deserves to be first. (don't get me started on nidoking)

as for useful information I suggest more attack during my use of it there were a few things that could take a waterfall and barely survive resulting in a sweep cut short. mega ttar is one of them.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Add the defensive set that Princess Bubblegum mentioned but slash Roar before Dragon Tail as it is more accurate and gets past subs and Protect.

Ok: I deleted from descriptions, the illegal pokemons like Latios, Latias, Keldeo, Terrakion, Celebi and Jirachi.

Thanks at Princess Bubblegum for the set. I added it.

Thanks at Swamp-Rock for the correction, i deleted bounce.

Last edited:
Life Orb on offensive Gyarados imo isn't a good choice, because it hasn't any recovery move except Rest, and Stealth Rock wrecks it (even they now deal 20%).
So you have to cut Life Orb, and put Lum Berry as item, which protects it against status.
Next, add teammates for it, and explain why they are good etc.
Also, I suggest to revise the grammar of the entire analysis.

Last edited:
I don't agree with the Mega Evolution RestTalk set at all. The offensive DD version is better in almost every scenario; if you want to use Gyarados as a Rest Talk Pokemon, use regular Gyarados since it has a better defensive typing. It even lacks Leftovers, something which is crucial for that set. The metagame is too fast to be wasting turns resting and having a 1/3 chance of picking the move you want. And, if nothing else, I would rather not waste my one Mega slot on a Pokemon reliant on Sleep Talk. The offensive DD variant just outclasses it, and takes full advantage of Mega Gyarado's Mold Breaker ability by letting it KO Rotom-W. Rejecting that set. Everything else seems fine, though.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Just saw that we have a RestTalk set for Mega Gyarados. Remove it, regular Gyarados is the only one that should be doing RestTalk sets, as he has better resistances, lefties, and Intimidate, all of which make slow boosting much easier.

Qwilphish

when everything you touch turns to gold
The Mega-Gyardos sets mention Moxie/Intimidate as their abilities while its ability after it evolves is Mold Breaker. If you meant those abilities as the ones to pick before MEvo then that can be mentioned but I dont know what the policy on that is when it comes to analyses.

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Mega Gyarados will always have Mold Breaker by default, and in this case where a Pokemon is actually usable before it Mega Evolves, then just list the pre-Mega ability as normal. Maybe mention in passing that it will lose Intimidate/Moxie (but keep Atk Boosts) on Mega Evolving.

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This should not have been fully written, you were supposed to keep it in skeleton form until you have 2 QC approvals.

I would also definitely keep Life Orb as a slash on the offensive DD set; it's too much power to pass up. You also make zero mentions to good teammates, such as Garchomp (who switches in on Electric type moves) or Aegislash who switches in Rock-type moves and gives Gyarados easy earthquakes to come in on. For something that's bulky enough to switch around a lot, while also having enough power to punch holes in the opposing team, having something to clean up or something to wear down the walls initially is an important part of gyarados's team play.

In addition to the above, the pros and cons need to be FULL SENTENCES with periods at the end.
for example,
[Pros]
<ul>
<li>AIt has an awesome Attack stat.(AP for all)</li>
<li>Great bulk and access to Dragon Dance make it a fearsome sweeper.</li>
<li>It has an immunity to Toxic Spikes, Spikes and Sticky Web.</li>
<li>R It resists Fighting-(AH) and Steel-type attacks.</li>
<li>Immunity to Ground-type attacks gives it many opportunities to switch in.</li>
<li>It has access to Moxie, which combined with Dragon Dance, allows it to become a huge threat when kills a Pokemon.</li>
<li>When it is mega evolved: Mega Evolves, its Attack, Defencse,(AC) and Special Defencse stats raise.</li>
<li>After the Mega evolution, it resist to Ghost-type, making a good check for Aegislash it Mega Evolves, it resists Ghost-type attacks, making it a good check to Ghost-types such as Aegislash.</li>
<li>When it is mega evolved, x4 Electric weak is deleted Mega Evolves, it is no longer x4 weak to Electric.</li>
</ul>

[Cons]
<ul>
<li>It is x4 weak to Electric.</li>
<li>Its Stealth rRock weakness limits the number of times it can switch in.</li>
<li>81 speed based are not so good base Speed means that it is outsped by a variety of threats.</li>
<li>When it is mega evolved his Mega Evolves, its type becomes Water(space)/()Dark, and it isn't exactly great.</li>
<li>Water()/()Dark type means that it is weak to Mach Punch and other Fighting-type moves in its Mega form.</li>
<li>After the Mega evolution, it Mega Evolves, it loses Moxie.</li>
</ul>

<li>When it Mega Evolves, it is no longer x4 weak to Electric.</li>

Remove this from pros.

Instead, make mention of its ability Mold Breaker as a pro, allowing it to eat Rotom-W.

Slightly less relevant but put those 8 Atk evs on the resttalk set into Special Defense.

<li>When it Mega Evolves, it is no longer x4 weak to Electric.</li>

Remove this from pros.

Instead, make mention of its ability Mold Breaker as a pro, allowing it to eat Rotom-W.

Slightly less relevant but put those 8 Atk evs on the resttalk set into Special Defense.
Done ;)

-You can make mention of Toxicroak wrecking Gyarados if it lacks Earthquake.
-Fast Electric-types such as Jolteon, Heliolisk as checks.
-MegaVenusaur, Trevenant both can stomach hits.

QC APPROVED 1/3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)