[QC READY 1/3] Rotom-H

Epikhairz

Anything goes
The other Fire-type preview I am procrastinating is here~ It might be a little rushed sorry

[Pros]

<ul>
<li>Levitate makes Rotom-H immune to what would otherwise be a x4 weakness to Ground</li>
<li>Able to absorb paralysis and burn with new paralysis mechanics this generation</li>
<li>Electric / Fire typing is decent defensively, only possessing weaknesses to Rock and Water</li>
<li>Has equal as well as good Defense and Special Defense stats - 107</li>
<li>Checks common powerhouses such as Talonflame and Scizor</li>
<li>Access to Volt Switch keeps the momentum on your side</li>
<li>Has more resistances than any other non-Steel type in the game</li>
</ul>

[Cons]

<ul>
<li>Weak to Stealth Rock</li>
<li>Slow - base 86 Speed is not impressive</li>
<li>Pitiful HP stat of 50</li>
<li>No reliable recovery - Pain Split is Pokebank and not even that reliable</li>
<li>Its only good Fire STAB is Overheat, which drops its Special Attack after every use</li>
</ul>

[Set Recommendations]

<p>name: Specially Defensive<br />
move 1: Overheat<br />
move 2: Volt Switch<br />
move 3: Thunder Wave / Will-O-Wisp<br />
move 4: Thunderbolt / Hidden Power Ice / Rest<br />
ability: Levitate<br />
item: Leftovers / Chesto Berry<br />
evs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD<br />
nature: Calm</p>
  • It can use its better status absorbing capabilities to function as a defensive Pokemon
  • Overheat is the main Fire STAB and hits hard even without investment
  • Volt Switch keeps the momentum on your side and is an essential move on this set
  • Thunder Wave cripples the many special attackers that Rotom-H checks
  • Will-O-Wisp can be used on physically offensive juggernauts - especially Ground-types who are immune to Volt Switch and Thunder Wave (e.g. Garchomp)
  • Thunderbolt is a more spammable STAB attack that's stronger than Volt Switch
  • Hidden Power Ice gets rid of normal counters like Garchomp and Gliscor on the switch
  • Rest is only to be used with Chesto Berry (and vice-versa) and gives Rotom-H a one-shot recovery
  • Rapid Spin support from Pokemon like Forretress and Starmie to get rid of Stealth Rock
  • Water- and Grass-types to help get rid of Ground-types - Starmie works, as does Azumarill and Mega Venusaur
  • Wish support from Pokemon like Vaporeon and Florges for more reliable recovery

<p>name: Choice<br />
move 1: Overheat<br />
move 2: Volt Switch<br />
move 3: Thunderbolt<br />
move 4: Trick / Hidden Power Ice<br />
ability: Levitate<br />
item: Choice Specs / Choice Scarf<br />
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe<br />
nature: Timid / Modest</p>
  • Extremely powerful or fast, depending on the item
  • Overheat is a powerful Fire STAB that puts holes in the metagame
  • Volt Switch keeps momentum on your side
  • Thunderbolt is a secondary STAB useful for getting rid of Flying-types like Talonflame
  • Trick will cripple any defensive Pokemon that will usually wall this entire set, like Blissey
  • Hidden Power Ice can be used instead to get rid of Dragons such as Garchomp, who otherwise wal this entire set as well
  • Rapid Spin support from Pokemon like Forretress and Starmie to get rid of Stealth Rock
  • Water- and Grass-types to help get rid of Ground-types - Starmie works, as does Azumarill and Mega Venusaur
  • Dugtrio can trap some common threats like Tyranitar which causes trouble thanks to Arena Trap
[Checks and Counters]
  • Blissey (fears Trick)
  • Assault Vest Tyranitar
  • Garchomp (fears Hidden Power Ice
  • Dragonite (especially Lum Berry variants)
  • Choice Scarf users
  • Rotom-W
  • Mold Breaker Excadrill with Earthquake

Last edited:

Epikhairz

Anything goes
I use Rotom-H to wall Electric, Grass, and Fire types, which are commonly used as special attackers. I don't really like to split EVs on Rotom-H, though if there's an optimal EV spread that does it well, let me know. I don't like using a physically defensive set because its natural bulk is usually enough to come in on not-very-effective hits well, while a hard Stone Miss from a lot of Pokemon will make its physical defensive EVs irrelevant

I use Rotom-H to wall Electric, Grass, and Fire types, which are commonly used as special attackers. I don't really like to split EVs on Rotom-H, though if there's an optimal EV spread that does it well, let me know. I don't like using a physically defensive set because its natural bulk is usually enough to come in on not-very-effective hits well, while a hard Stone Miss from a lot of Pokemon will make its physical defensive EVs irrelevant
Well explained! thats what I wanted to hear. Also add chesto rest as an option for slot 4. Add that to the set comments please and consider this...

1/3

I think the fact that it has more resistances than any non-steel type in the game now deserves a mention in the pros... not as a wall or tank itself, but just in terms of teambuilding, that's a lot of holes that it can plug at once.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)