/r/pokemon VGC Tournament (July 25th-26th, 2015) experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, this is Steven Stone, also commonly refered as Skarm Steel, and i'm bringing you this Showdown tournament experience, organized by /r/pokemon subreddit.

The tournament was attended by around 50 people, and the rules were the following:
  • All the tournament format rules were the exact same than VGC
  • You can bring 3 teams to the tournament's swiss round (me and my tournament partner, Serapis , brought only one 'cause we're man enough). You got to choose one for the Top Cut.
  • All swiss, as usual, were best of one. There were 7 rounds of swiss.
Well, that's it boys, now, the team i used was this:

Not giving away any details because i've given out enough on the RMT on this team.

Well, i made 27th place on the swiss rounds, one of my lowest records on this VGC season.

The battles i had were the following:

Round 1
Vs. DoctorSweg

I don't remember the details on this fight, but i remember bringing Metagross, Hydreigon, Zapdos and Milotic to this fight, against his Rotom-W, Salamence, Heatran and a Gengar.

Milotic's EV spread came in clutch, allowing me to outspeed Rotom-W and do some damage to Heatran, and the AV let me take a hit and KO Heatran next turn.

Win 1-0

Round 2
Vs. Banded Klefki

I don't remember most of Banded's team, but i can certainly remember his Klefki, a Pokemon that paralyzed my Metagross, Hydreigon and Entei, and due to 3 consecutive full para, i lost the set.

Loss 1-1

Round 3
Vs. Mr. Fancier

His team

(
)

I brought

When i saw this team, i was pretty scared expected a TR team, but when i discovered that the Camerupt wasn't mega, and when he led Golurk+Camerupt, i was able to relax for a while. When Camerupt revealed Fissure, i knew that Entei could be gone at any moment, so i tried to take care of Golurk which threatened my Zapdos with Stone Edge as fast as i can. His Chandelure was Choice Scarf and took care of my Zapdos, i KOed the Chandelure with Entei, and an Earthquake was able to finish off my Entei, came down to my Mega Venusaur and my Milotic against his Mega Metagross and Camerupt. Scald didn't pick up the KO due to Camerupt being Passho Berry, while his Mega Metagross didn't have any investment on Speed because my Venusaur was faster than his Mega Metagross before Mega Evolving, putting it to sleep before it could do anything. KOed the Camerupt with Milotic, while Venusaur + Milotic were able to finish the Metagross while asleep (although he missed one Zen Headbutt that could have OHKOed my Mega Venusaur).
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/battlespotdoublesvgc2015-252990032

Win 2-1

Round 4
Vs Serapis

His Team

(
)

I brought

You won't believe how scary this team was for me, and to know i'd be facing Serapis in the 4th round made me feel really scared. I've faced this team before (in fact, i got a counter team for it, but i didn't want to do that to one of my VGC pals), and Serapis has faced mine, so we already know what each other can do.

Well, started turn 1 with Metagross and Entei, as he led Gardevoir and Whimsicott. Turn 1 i got Serapis' Mega Gardevoir, which i knew it could be an issue later, although he set up a Tailwind, which would matter a lot in the endgame. He sent out his Heatran, and i fell on one of his classic plays: I switched out my Metagross out for Milotic on a potential Heat Wave, and he doubled up on my Entei and got the KO. Sent my Hydreigon in, and Hydreigon proceeded to have the same fate than my Entei. Ended up having both Milotic and Metagross against his Heatran and Whimsicott, and i had to rely on a double Protect (which i didn't get) to try to get a better shot at winning. After getting my Metagross KOed, he sent his Rotom-W, which completely walled my Milotic, and due to the risk of Encore on Whimsicott, i preferred to not use Mirror Coat.

Lose 2-2

Round 5
Vs GoochMaster

I don't remember many details of his team, but i do certainly remember the Nidoking, Kangaskhan and Landorus-T. Somehow, Nidoking managed to survive my Hydreigon's Earth Power, and OHKOed it back with Ice Beam. That OHKO marked the entire game, as his team, even when it was awfully weakened in the endgame, was able to pull through my team with ease.

Lose 2-3

Round 6
Vs Juice585

His team

I brought

I can't remember many details from this match, but i can surely remember that my Venusaur came in clutch against Sylveon, which i needed dead for Hydreigon to start doing damage. His Sylveon was HP ground, and for some reason he kept going for HP ice against my Venusaur. In the endgame, my Zapdos and Venusaur were able to handle his Thundurus, which was left alone, for the solid win.
Win 3-3

Round 7
Vs SoulSurvivor79

His team

(
)

I brought:

I can definitely remember this man's sun team. Because my team has little answers for sun, i was relatively scared, but at the end, Entei+Zapdos proved again to me that they're the best handling sun, even when a Zen Headbutt miss almost made me lose that game.

Win 4-3

A 4-3 record which i'm not really proud of, given that this was supposed to be a more friendly tournament, and without any VGC stars. If this result was to be converted on a Nationals result, i'd even say 2-5 due to my amount of misplays. I knew since the time i faced Serapis i'd be over, because 1 good player that i got to face (which i did) i was a goner. Definitely a good experience which made me realise that the team is really good, but my skills aren't up to the level of good players just yet.

Awaiting for Serapis to win the tournament, as he went 6th on the Swiss Rounds, and i'll like to heard the experience that he will have at tomorrow's Top Cut section (Finals are bo5, and Serapis will be really confused to play them if he makes it that far js lol).

http://challonge.com/rpokemon3
This is the bracket of swiss n_n

Well, that's it. Have a nice day peeps!
-SkarmSteel

btw, this is my 200th message. HYPE!

Last edited:

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Yay another person who likes Zapdos and moderately fast Milotic :) I actually ran a team with the same first three members and Zapdos.

Yay another person who likes Zapdos and moderately fast Milotic :) I actually ran a team with the same first three members and Zapdos.
Well, the core is really solid enough. And the best part is that it doesn't use any of the top 12, so it's also usable in the Special 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)