SS OU RAICHU-ALOLA Offense - PEAKED #5, 2092

This team features Kartana, an Ultra Beast. What is your favorite Ultra Beast?

• Nihilego

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • Buzzwole

Votes: 10 10.1%
  • Pheromosa

Votes: 10 10.1%
  • Xurkitree

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • Celesteela

Votes: 9 9.1%
  • Kartana

Votes: 21 21.2%
  • Guzzlord

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Poipole

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Naganadel

Votes: 15 15.2%
  • Stakataka

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • Blacephalon

Votes: 11 11.1%

• Total voters

TABLE OF CONTENTS:

1. Introduction
  2. Proof of Peak
  3. Team + Description
  4. Team Building Process
  5. Team usage tips
  6. Threatlist
  7. Replays
  8. Shoutouts
  9. Importable
  10. Bonus Teambuilding Guide
  11. Other Teams
  12. Outro

1. INTRODUCTION

Hello everyone! It’s Pinkacross, and I have another team. I knew when Tapu Koko came out that Alolan Raichu would be viable. I had tried and failed to make Alolan Raichu work several times before while using Pincurchin. A new Electric Terrain setter gave me hope for everyone’s favorite electric mouse. It turned out to be far better than I expected. But before I get to the team, I would like to explain my intention when teambuilding. It is NOT my intention to take an unviable pokemon, get a high peak with it, and say “look everyone, I got this bad pokemon to this peak!” Rather, I look for good pokemon that are underused and try to show everyone how good they can be. This is why I never post gimmicks. I truly believe that Alolan Raichu fills a role that no other pokemon can fill, and it deserves a spot, if a niche one, in high level play: both on ladder and in tournaments.

2. PROOF OF PEAK

3. TEAM + DESCRIPTION

Raichu-Alola @ Choice Specs
Ability: Surge Surfer
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Rising Voltage
- Grass Knot
- Psychic / Focus Blast

Alolan Raichu functions as speed control, a revenge killer, a sweeper, a breaker, and a looming threat for the opponent. Under Electric Terrain, Alolan Raichu outspeeds every pokemon in the tier except Barraskewda in rain. It even outspeeds Timid Scarf Dragapult. This is a very important pokemon to preserve when facing speedy threats such as Spectrier and Dragapult. I chose Choice Specs to help Raichu do a better job of breaking, particularly against stall, and helping it pick up lots of OHKOs it would not otherwise get. Volt Switch is very important on this set. It helps chip down pokemon like Hydreigon and Ferrothorn that will switch in expecting a Rising Voltage. You can then go into other breakers like Kartana. Rising Voltage was chosen for the obvious reason that it is the most powerful electric move in pokemon. After the 70 base power is doubled (only for grounded opponents, remember) the move has a 140 base power, which is then boosted by terrain for a grand total of a 182 base power electric move. The stab boost received makes this move even stronger. Grass knot hits many of the things Rising Voltage doesn’t, such as Swampert, Hippowdon, and Gastrodon. Finally, Psychic allows Alolan Raichu to have a strong stab move outside of terrain, and allows it to hit Garchomp and Landorus well. Focus Blast can be chosen alternatively to OHKO Tyranitar, 2HKO Ferrothorn, and OHKO Excadrill, however I find this to be an unreliable option. Let’s face it-- you won’t hit Focus Blasts. If you’re lucky, though, run Focus Blast over Psychic. Be careful not to underestimate the mental warfare of this pokemon. If your opponent sacks their Ground type, Alolan Raichu just wins. This means that your opponent will have to desperately preserve their Ground type against a team that is very good against Ground types. If they slip up once and sack their Electric immunity, the game is over. Alolan Raichu can also trap ground types using Future Sight. Suppose your opponent’s only ground type is a Garchomp. You can set Electric Terrain, Future Sight with Slowking and Teleport into Alolan Raichu. You can freely click Rising Voltage, knowing that you will either hit a non Ground type, or Garchomp will take a Future Sight, of which it can only take 2. This strategy is most effective against balance and bulky balances.

NOTABLE CALCS:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Raichu-Alola Rising Voltage (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Clefable in Electric Terrain: 427-504 (108.3 - 127.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Raichu-Alola Rising Voltage (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Heatran in Electric Terrain: 373-441 (96.6 - 114.2%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Raichu-Alola Rising Voltage (140 BP) vs. +1 0 HP / 0 SpD Spectrier in Electric Terrain: 316-373 (92.6 - 109.3%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Raichu-Alola Rising Voltage (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey in Electric Terrain: 303-357 (42.4 - 50%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Raichu-Alola Grass Knot (80 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Swampert: 360-424 (89.1 - 104.9%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Raichu-Alola Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Hippowdon: 454-536 (108 - 127.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Raichu-Alola Grass Knot (60 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Gastrodon: 408-484 (95.7 - 113.6%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Raichu-Alola Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 168-198 (41.5 - 49%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Tapu Koko @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Dazzling Gleam
- Grass Knot
- Roost

Tapu Koko is our terrain setter and speed control. I choose it over Pincurchin because it is much better in almost every way. It works well against offensive teams due to removing Rillaboom’s Grassy Terrain (thus making Grassy Glide have no priority) and resisting Sucker Punches from Cinderace and Urshifu, while doing massive damage in return. Volt Switch was chosen to give Tapu Koko a momentum move, which helps get in breakers such as Kartana and Alolan Raichu. Volt switch in combination with Grass Knot lets Koko threaten both Ground types and any other pokemon trying to switch in. Dazzling Gleam is a good stab move that lets Tapu Koko hit Landorus, Garchomp, Urshifu, and more. Roost was chosen to help give Tapu Koko more longevity, especially against bulky teams. The combination of Roost and Heavy Duty Boots makes Tapu Koko almost impossible to kill for bulkier builds. The Heavy Duty Boots also allow Tapu Koko to set Electric Terrain despite what hazards may be on the field.

NOTABLE CALCS:

252 SpA Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Urshifu: 640-756 (187.6 - 221.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Tapu Koko Volt Switch vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Cinderace in Electric Terrain: 153-180 (50.8 - 59.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Rillaboom: 142-168 (41.6 - 49.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Tapu Koko Grass Knot (80 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Swampert: 220-260 (54.4 - 64.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Tapu Koko Volt Switch vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Tornadus-Therian in Electric Terrain: 264-312 (88 - 104%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

Kartana @ Choice Band
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike

Kartana is the main breaker for this team. Choice Band turns Kartana into one of the most threatening pokemon in the tier, giving it the ability to 2HKO or OHKO almost every single pokemon in OU. It compliments Alolan Raichu well, being able to easily defeat the pokemon that give it trouble: Ferrothorn, Chansey, Hydreigon, and Excadrill. Jolly was chosen over Adamant so that Kartana consistently outspeeds Hydreigon. Knock Off is a great coverage move that lets Kartana remove the Heavy Duty Boots from pokemon such as Zapdos, Moltres, and Mandibuzz, as well as scoring some OHKOs against Ghost types. Leaf Blade is Kartana’s strongest stab move, which is often a spammable move late game and helps pressure Ground types that Alolan Raichu struggles with. Lastly, Smart Strike was chosen since it has a chance to OHKO Clefable, while also allowing Kartana to 2HKO Mandibuzz after Stealth Rocks. Kartana also functions as a stallbreaker and Future Sight abuser. Future Sight combined with Sacred Sword and Leaf Blade lets Kartana crush stall and bulky balance builds.

NOTABLE CALCS:

252 Atk Choice Band Kartana Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Hydreigon: 412-486 (106.1 - 125.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Choice Band Kartana Smart Strike vs. 248 HP / 216+ Def Mandibuzz: 159-187 (37.5 - 44.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Choice Band Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 297-349 (83.1 - 97.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Choice Band Kartana Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 226-266 (64.2 - 75.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn

- Knock Off

Landorus is a common support pokemon I’m sure you are all familiar with. It’s the Stealth Rock setter of the team, and it shares the burden of checking Cinderace and Garchomp with Mandibuzz. Landorus is also this team’s Electric immunity. While terrain nerfs and lack of viable Volt Switchers has led to a decrease in Volt Turn teams, I still find it necessary to have an electric immunity on every team to prevent Volt Switch / Electric spam. A defensive variant with Rocky Helmet was chosen to be a better check to Melmetal, Cinderace, Garchomp, and Excadrill, while also punishing U-turns from Urshifu, Cinderace, and Rillaboom. Earthquake is Landorus’ main stab move, and it lets it do sufficient damage to Pokemon such as Cinderace, Melmetal, Excadrill, Garchomp, and others. U-turn is a great momentum move that helps breakers like Kartana and Alolan Raichu get in. Knock Off helps remove the item from bothersome pokemon to deal with such as Ferrothorn, as well as removing the Heavy Duty Boots from Zapdos, Moltres, and Mandibuzz. The EV spread is designed to let Landorus outspeed Modest maximum speed Heatran and Timid max speed Magearna while still being defensive enough to take hits from pokemon like Cinderace and Garchomp.

NOTABLE CALCS:

252+ Atk Choice Band Urshifu Wicked Blow vs. 252 HP / 112+ Def Landorus-Therian on a critical hit: 286-337 (74.8 - 88.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

-1 252 Atk Cinderace Pyro Ball vs. 252 HP / 112+ Def Landorus-Therian: 106-126 (27.7 - 32.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

0 Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. -1 0 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 234-276 (65.5 - 77.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Melmetal Double Iron Bash (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 112+ Def Landorus-Therian: 246-290 (64.3 - 75.9%) -- approx. 2HKO

Slowking @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Future Sight
- Scald
- Teleport
- Slack Off

Slowking is very important, as it checks both Heatran and Nidoking, while also providing Future Sight Support, which lets Alolan Raichu and Kartana break much more effectively. Heavy Duty Boots are the preferred item on Slowking as they let Slowking check Nidoking, Heatran, and generally switch in without worrying about the effects of Stealth Rocks, Spikes, or Toxic Spikes. Future Sight is a great breaking move. I will explain how it works for anyone who doesn’t know. Future Sight is a 120 base power move that hits two turns after being used at the end of the turn. It hits after both pokemon on the field have used their moves, but it hits before Wish, damage from poisoning or burns, and damage from Sand or Hail. For example, if I were to use Future Sight, teleport into Kartana, and use Leaf Blade, Future Sight would hit on the same turn as Leaf Blade. This can lead to many crazy situations, like a Kartana’s Leaf Blade essentially OHKOing a Buzzwole, or a combination of Leaf Blade and Future Sight OHKOing a Toxapex. Note that Future Sight cannot be stacked. The best Future Sight abusers are typically Kartana and Alolan Raichu. Scald is a good instant stab move that lets Slowking reliably check Heatran and Nidoking, as well as spread burns. Slack Off is a good recovery move that helps Slowking’s longevity. Teleport helps get in frail breakers such as Alolan Raichu and Kartana safely. Note that Teleport is a minimum priority move. Slowking has minimum speed so that it can underspeed pokemon when facing Trick Room Teams, and for getting the slow Teleport when Teleporting on other Slowkings and Slowbros.

NOTABLE CALCS:

4 SpA Slowking Future Sight vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Buzzwole: 432-510 (103.3 - 122%) -- guaranteed OHKO

4 SpA Slowking Future Sight vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Toxapex: 192-228 (63.1 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

4 SpA Slowking Future Sight vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Garchomp: 148-175 (41.4 - 49%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

4 SpA Slowking Future Sight vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 156-184 (48.9 - 57.6%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO

4 SpA Slowking Scald vs. 252 HP / 176+ SpD Heatran: 128-152 (33.1 - 39.3%) -- 11.4% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Mandibuzz (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 116 Def / 144 SpD
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Defog
- Roost
- Toxic

Mandibuzz is a classic wall and Defogger. Heavy duty boots are chosen so that Mandibuzz can freely come in on hazards and Defog them away. A defensive Mandibuzz set is better here, so it can check Rillaboom, Kartana, Dragonite, and Cinderace. Landorus helps ease the burden of checking so many physical threats. Defensive investment also lets Mandibuzz tank Wicked Blows from a Choice Band Urshifu. It’s good special bulk, combined with a little investment, allows it to reliably check Spectrier as well. Foul Play was chosen over Knock Off so that Mandibuzz can better check Kartana, Rillaboom, Garchomp, and other physical sweepers. Roost helps maintain Mandibuzz’s longevity. Toxic was chosen over U-turn or Knock Off because without it we would lose to Volcarona. If you see a Volcarona, keep Mandibuzz healthy or be prepared to be swept.

NOTABLE CALCS:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Spectrier Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 144 SpD Mandibuzz: 105-124 (24.8 - 29.3%) -- 100% chance to 4HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Urshifu Wicked Blow vs. 248 HP / 116+ Def Mandibuzz on a critical hit: 126-149 (29.7 - 35.2%) -- 20.9% chance to 3HKO

+2 252+ Atk Mandibuzz Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Rillaboom: 360-424 (105.5 - 124.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252 Atk Mandibuzz Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kartana: 315-372 (121.6 - 143.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252 Atk Mandibuzz Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 324-382 (90.7 - 107%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

4. TEAM BUILDING PROCESS

I started out with my Electric spam core. I knew I wanted to build around Alolan Raichu, and Koko is the best Electric Terrain setter.

I wanted a way to ensure I could pressure Ground types, and force them out. I knew that Slowking’s Future Sight combined with Electric Terrain would force the opponent to either let a non Ground type take a Rising Voltage, or let a Ground type take a Future Sight, bringing it one step closer to being KOd.

I needed a Stealth Rocker, and an Electric immunity of my own, so I chose Garchomp. It’s a powerful offensive force and it provided decent defensive utility as well.

I noticed I was weak to Ground, which is unacceptable in OU. Furthermore, I had no Spectrier check. Mandibuzz was the only pokemon that fixed these issues.

I noticed that I had little to no instant power, and no real way to hit opposing Ground types hard. Choice Band Kartana gave me a great breaker that threatens all the switchins to Alolan Raichu.

The team generally lacked a way to get momentum, and was struggling against physical attackers such as Cinderace. Furthermore, I found Mandibuzz was struggling as the team’s only Ground resist. I replaced Garchomp with defensive Landorus-Therian to fix these problems.

5. TEAM USAGE TIPS

This team generally functions similarly to a typical offense, but it does have a few differences, which I will outline below:

1. Raichu puts immense pressure on the opponent without even coming out. Keep that in mind and use this to your advantage. Note that your opponent will be forced to never risk their ground type, which can make predictions much easier and more rewarding.

2. Play aggressively. This team has a defensive backbone, but it is NOT a stall team and it can’t function as one. There are times when playing defensively is useful, but generally this team is best used by keeping up momentum and pressure.

3. Practice using Future Sight. This is a fantastic move (I have been advocating for it since pre DLC 1). This is a 120 BP psychic type attack that hits two turns after being used. It is very helpful for breaking bulkier builds, and can even get kills against offensive teams.

4. Assess what needs to stay healthy pre-game. If you see an Urshifu, make sure Tapu Koko stays well out of LO +1 Sucker Punch range. If you see a Volcarona, keep Mandibuzz healthy so it can use Toxic. If you see an Azumarill, keep Kartana at full. These are the kinds of things that can cause you to lose games if you aren’t careful.

5. Practice. It’s likely you haven’t ever used Alolan Raichu before. It takes some adjustment, just be patient. It took me a little while to adjust to using it, and I hovered around 1800s until I finally learned how to play the team well and watched as my ELO shot up to 2092.

6. Check out the Replay section if you’re still struggling to play the team.

6. THREATLIST:

I’m proud to say that the threat list is rather short. The biggest threat to the team as I was laddering was Pheromosa (particularly Protective Pads Triple Axle) but since it was banned, the team is no longer immensely scared of anything. However, these two pokemon give the team a fair bit of trouble.

We have no real hard answer to this. Our best check is technically Kartana. If you see this undying metal seed, do your best to chip it and take it down. Scald burn it, Knock Off it with Landorus, use Sacred Sword from Kartana-- anything to chip this monster. The good thing is, once it is KOd, the opponent likely won’t have an answer for several of our sweepers, as they likely relied on Ferrothorn to check Koko and by extension Alolan Raichu.

Choice Specs Freeze Dry 2HKOs our entire team. Play aggressively if you see this. Note that Tapu Koko can live 1 Freeze Dry from full, but it will die to an Ice Beam. However, it is unlikely that the opponent will use Ice Beam when you have a Slowking. Try to lead Kartana if you see this and suspect that it is Choice Specs. This will scare them out and give you a free Knock Off. Don’t lead Kartana every single time, however, as this will make you too predictable. If Kyurem is Scarf, it is walled by Slowking.

While rain as a whole isn’t too threatening, Barraskewda can ruin this team if you don’t play carefully. Slowking is 2HKOd by Liquidation, though you can invest some defense into it if Barraskewda is giving you continuous issues. 152 defense EVs will give you enough to guarantee taking two Choice Band Adamant Liquidations in the rain from full. You will still have enough Special bulk left to check Nidoking. Barraskewda is scary because every pokemon on the team is either OHKOd or 2HKOd by Liquidation. Play aggressively against rain, and try to remove their Ground type (usually Swampert or Seismitoad) with Tapu Koko’s Grass Knot so you can KO the opponent’s pokemon with Volt Switches from Tapu Koko and Alolan Raichu and go into Slowking or Mandibuzz to prevent Barraskewda from coming in and taking a pokemon.

7. REPLAYS

Game that got me to 2092: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1237890336-mc3qn3l2n7gugcj33engsldsoiduymapw (Comeback vs Stall)

Vs. Barraskewda Rain: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1236723709-lwdxa0n3aw3xm22bpedllm3dv5npsaapw

Alolachu putting in work at high ladder: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1238046717-sgcza01qbl736fulxag28y1ka8orcmypw

Alolachu comeback sweep in 2000s: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1238333893-i1qo8573ru6i25utvn8dqww740254o7pw

Vs Standard Offense: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1236599673-r2r0eeyz3iqk9qbleq4lurgzmtq7jmrpw

Vs Storm Zone Rain: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1236071277-m3bzfd5t8elthewjehza0od5a12fbnnpw

Alolachu sweeps a team with Hydreigon, Rillaboom, and Nidoking: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1236593907-ge8hug32bjq5dsg80w59mryz8bgyjqbpw

Vs Blunder: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1236730347-nsprzzsnim71bdxa2c93bsojywo891hpw

8. SHOUTOUTS

Shoutouts to Storm Zone for helping construct some early models of the team. Storm Zone and Ox the Fox both helped test the team, which was very helpful. 70to90gxe also helped test and tweak the team during the later stages of testing. It’s very refreshing to see top battlers willing to build and test creative, thought-to-be non viable pokemon. The Smogon / PS community has a bit of a problem with elitism, but these guys give me hope that players of ALL skill levels can have fun, and use creative pokemon like Alolan Raichu.

9. IMPORTABLE

https://pokepast.es/27541a32b7b1f0d8

10. BONUS TEAMBUILDING GUIDE

I’ve been getting a lot of questions about how to teambuild, so I decided to make a quick guide to get people on the right track. The steps will be black and the commentary will be in red. Here are the steps I go through when building a team:

1. Pick a core/pokemon.

This is the step where you decide what you want to build around. For this team, my initial core was Tapu Koko + Alolan Raichu.

2. Pick a playstyle.

Certain playstyles suit certain pokemon better. You don’t want to make an Alakazam stall, for instance. The team can branch out at this point, and several versions can be made. Maybe the core/pokemon you selected works on more than 1 playstyle.

3. Add supporting pokemon to the core/pokemon.

This is where you find partners that work well with the core. For this team, I knew that Slowking would be a good partner for my Koko + Alolachu core because it would force out Ground types with Future Sight.

4. Add hazards/ hazard removal.
You may have this implemented already, and if so, this step can be skipped. If not, this is a very important step as almost every team needs hazards and removal. Due to the presence of Heavy Duty Boots, some teams can skip out on hazards. It is almost never a good choice to skip out on removal. The more offensive your team is, the more flimsy your removal can be, of course depending on how weak your team is to hazards. Bulky teams need very solid hazard removal, like a Corviknight. A more offensive build may use a defogger like Scarf Kartana. If your team is bulky and weak to hazards, you need solid and consistent removal. If your team is offensive and good against hazards, you can afford flimsy removal or even no removal at all.

5. Patch up holes.
At this stage you likely won’t have too many slots left. See what pokemon you lose to, and add something that fixes the issue. Remember that this choice should not only fix a problem, but also add to the functionality of a team. For example, if you lack a Spectrier check, and you’re running an HO build, Urshifu would likely be a much better choice than Porygon2, even though they both fix the problem.

This is also the step where you start to see problems in the metagame. Due to Urshifu, Magearna, and Spectrier being in the tier all at once, often patching up your team will take more slots than you have. If any of these are banned (which I hope they will be) team building will be much less constrained. However, they are still here at the moment. This makes building very difficult, especially when using creative pokemon. My advice is this: Make teams that are great against most things, rather than good against everything. You can’t cover every playstyle, or every set, or every team. If you try, you’ll end up making mediocre teams that can’t win, but rather focus on not losing. It’s better to win 9/10 matchups and get destroyed in the one loss than to have a mediocre team that wins 5/10 matchups. If you only remember one thing from this whole guide, remember this: Teams that just “don’t lose” to anything often don’t beat anything either.

6. Test.

Test multiple versions, or one version, but testing is vital. Even after years of building I can’t tell if what looks good on paper will be good in practice, and vice versa.

7. Repeat steps.
This is an iterative process, and you may have to redo these steps many times until you get the team you want. That being said, you may have a dead end building project that just isn’t worth it. Vibrava will never work in OU. At times like this, choose a new project.

11. OTHER TEAMS

Arctozolt Hail - Peaked #4: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...-2104-new-peak-ft-vanilluxe-swampert.3673996/

(I will soon make an RMT on my #2 peaking Exploud team)

12. OUTRO

Thanks to anyone who read all of this. I hope you try out the team and enjoy using it. If you have any creative ideas you would like to see turned into a team, feel free to message me on Smogon or PM me while I’m on PS (I’m always on my main account, Pinkacross). Have a great day and happy holidays!

Nice team also big fan :] this was my FIRST https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1249926057 game with this team and i remember seeing ox playing with this team awhile back. Anyway thank you for the tips near the end i ask many high ladder players how do i get good 99% of the responses are "Learn how to predict" which is not so helpful and ive been struggling building my own teams so thanks for those team building tips at the end ive been wanting to build an offensive team around togekiss so thanks for that,anyway good team and i hope you post more of your teams inf you have any! :psysly:

Hey, I love this team!! I’ve tried something similar recently. Pairing it with Future Sight was a nice find. Also, Kartana nicely handles the Ferrothorn problem. questions:

1) How do you win the terrain war consistently vs. Rillaboom? Mandi is a good check but she gets pressured often by having to check so many things. Combos like Urshifu + Rilla and Spect + Rillaboom are what I mean.

2) Can you explain why HDB is better than Terrain Extender on builds such as these?

3) What is the counterplay vs. Magearna?

As for suggestions, both Smack Down and Toxic are options for keeping rocks down when using Lando. Since Defog also removes terrain also, it could be worth a look.

Hey, I love this team!! I’ve tried something similar recently. Pairing it with Future Sight was a nice find. Also, Kartana nicely handles the Ferrothorn problem. questions:

1) How do you win the terrain war consistently vs. Rillaboom? Mandi is a good check but she gets pressured often by having to check so many things. Combos like Urshifu + Rilla and Spect + Rillaboom are what I mean.

2) Can you explain why HDB is better than Terrain Extender on builds such as these?

3) What is the counterplay vs. Magearna?

As for suggestions, both Smack Down and Toxic are options for keeping rocks down when using Lando. Since Defog also removes terrain also, it could be worth a look.
Great questions.

1.) Often you don't have to win the terrain war. Raichu typically only needs one turn of Electric Terrain to get KOs. If Rillaboom comes in after, it really isn't a concern. However, as for chipping Rillaboom, keeping Landorus healthy is important. Since you have Mandibuzz, they will almost always click u-turn (except for the initial time they click knock to remove your heavy duty boots). When they click u-turn, Landorus's Rocky Helmet will punish them. Rocky Helmet combined with SR damage is great for chipping Rillaboom. Between Landorus, Kartana, and Mandibuzz, the opponent's Rillaboom often isn't that good and they'll end up sacking it. If there's a Spectrier on the field the #1 thing to do is make sure you keep Koko + Alolachu alive, since Alolachu can deal with it. As for Urshifu, play aggressively and try to get in Koko against this thing. Between Landorus, Mandibuzz, Slowking, Tapu Koko, and Kartana, Urshifu isn't too difficult for us to deal with. However, if you try to wall it out and never play aggressively it can become an issue.
2.) HDB is better than Terrain Extender here because it lets Koko come in for free without having to worry about hazards. This team doesn't have a Toxic Spikes absorber, making this more important than ever. Especially since so many teams have other Tapus, rarely do we even need 8 turns of Electric Terrain. Since other Tapus frequently put out Electric terrain (mostly Rillaboom), not taking entry hazards is overall more beneficial for keeping Electric Terrain up.
3.) Magearna isn't a problem unless it's Specs. Keep Landorus alive when dealing with Magearna so it can't Volt for free. Depending on the opponent's initial role with Fleur Cannon, Slowking may be able to take two. If it cannot take two, you can always switch into Tapu Koko, Kartana, Landorus, or Alolan Raichu, all of which survive a -2 Fleur cannon. Play aggressively against Magearna, and try not to let it in for free. Against those screens setup Magearna, generally you'll want to keep Terrain up. This will allow you to go hard Alolachu and click Rising Voltage, which will do about 50% even behind screens, and likely OHKO if not behind screens. They should always click Iron Defense first due to the presence of your Landorus.

As for your Landorus set suggestions, I will keep my moves as they are for now, I find them all necessary.

Great questions.

1.) Often you don't have to win the terrain war. Raichu typically only needs one turn of Electric Terrain to get KOs. If Rillaboom comes in after, it really isn't a concern. However, as for chipping Rillaboom, keeping Landorus healthy is important. Since you have Mandibuzz, they will almost always click u-turn (except for the initial time they click knock to remove your heavy duty boots). When they click u-turn, Landorus's Rocky Helmet will punish them. Rocky Helmet combined with SR damage is great for chipping Rillaboom. Between Landorus, Kartana, and Mandibuzz, the opponent's Rillaboom often isn't that good and they'll end up sacking it. If there's a Spectrier on the field the #1 thing to do is make sure you keep Koko + Alolachu alive, since Alolachu can deal with it. As for Urshifu, play aggressively and try to get in Koko against this thing. Between Landorus, Mandibuzz, Slowking, Tapu Koko, and Kartana, Urshifu isn't too difficult for us to deal with. However, if you try to wall it out and never play aggressively it can become an issue.
2.) HDB is better than Terrain Extender here because it lets Koko come in for free without having to worry about hazards. This team doesn't have a Toxic Spikes absorber, making this more important than ever. Especially since so many teams have other Tapus, rarely do we even need 8 turns of Electric Terrain. Since other Tapus frequently put out Electric terrain (mostly Rillaboom), not taking entry hazards is overall more beneficial for keeping Electric Terrain up.
3.) Magearna isn't a problem unless it's Specs. Keep Landorus alive when dealing with Magearna so it can't Volt for free. Depending on the opponent's initial role with Fleur Cannon, Slowking may be able to take two. If it cannot take two, you can always switch into Tapu Koko, Kartana, Landorus, or Alolan Raichu, all of which survive a -2 Fleur cannon. Play aggressively against Magearna, and try not to let it in for free. Against those screens setup Magearna, generally you'll want to keep Terrain up. This will allow you to go hard Alolachu and click Rising Voltage, which will do about 50% even behind screens, and likely OHKO if not behind screens. They should always click Iron Defense first due to the presence of your Landorus.

As for your Landorus set suggestions, I will keep my moves as they are for now, I find them all necessary.
Thanks for the thorough answers. We appreciate your RMTs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)