Gen 2 Raikou (Partial Rewrite) [QC 1/1] [GP 1/1]

[OVERVIEW]
Lions and Tigers and Raikou, oh my! With blistering base 115 Speed and Special Attack, great special bulk, Roar, and only one weakness, Raikou has the qualities most phazers and tanks wish they had. This combination of factors allows Raikou to come in on a slew of special attackers and either tank them with a blazing fast RestTalk combo or phaze them with Roar. Speaking of Roar, Raikou is one of the most dependable phazers in OU. Unlike many of its phazing brethren, Raikou has both significant offensive prowess in Thunder as well as amazing Speed. With Spikes support, Raikou can become a true terror. Good base 90 HP and 100 Special Defense give Raikou some serious special bulk, but its low Defense is a bit of a drag, especially with a weakness to the ubiquitous Earthquake. Raikou's movepool is shallow, and it can do little to the most common Pokemon in OU—Snorlax. However, beyond these few issues, Raikou is easily one of the most dependable Pokemon in OU.

[SET]
name: Phazer
move 1: Thunder / Thunderbolt
move 2: Roar
move 3: Hidden Power Water / Hidden Power Ice / Reflect
move 4: Rest
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 216 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
========
When it comes to dependable phazers, it doesn't get much better than Raikou. This set will stop numerous special attackers and setup sweepers such as Growth Vaporeon, Zapdos, Gengar, Suicune, and Growth Jolteon. Raikou will also serve as an effective check to any Misdreavus trying to Perish trap. While Roar phazes foes and racks up entry hazard damage, Raikou can also threaten them with STAB attacks. Thunder's extra power allows it to force out RestTalk Zapdos more easily and comes with a crucial 30% paralysis chance, which can help it cripple opposing Raikou and Grass-types such as Exeggutor. However, Thunderbolt is more reliable, especially against foes that can significantly threaten it in return such as Growth Vaporeon. Hidden Power Water and Ice are used to hit Ground-types such as Nidoking and Marowak as they switch in. Hidden Power Water has the additional benefit of hitting Golem and Rhydon 4x effectively as well as dealing super effective damage to Steelix, but leaves Raikou without an option to hit Exeggutor, requires Raikou to use a lower HP DV, and slightly reduces Raikou's ability to reliably take out Zapdos. Alternatively, Reflect can be used to halve the damage from physical sweepers such as Snorlax, Marowak, and Heracross, making it easier to switch out to a counter or safely burn sleep turns. Reflect will also greatly benefit Snorlax trying to set up Belly Drum, but without Hidden Power, Raikou will be unable to threaten Exeggutor and Ground-types, so a coverage attack is generally recommended. Rest is in the fourth slot to keep Raikou healthy. Status, especially paralysis, will still be a pain, and without Sleep Talk, Raikou will be unable to threaten any foes until it wakes up. Raikou also has the option of reducing its Speed EVs in order to prevent faster foes such as opposing Raikou with maximum Speed from phazing it, even while it's asleep, as phazing moves require the user to move second in order to work. However, this leaves it at risk of losing to Starmie with Substitute and potentially Nightmare, which it would usually perform well against due to having equal Speed. It's also worth noting that while the EVs listed will allow Raikou to outspeed Gengar, they will have equal Speed when they're both paralyzed.

Team Options
==========
Raikou is easily one of the best offensive phazers in OU. With Spikes support, it will easily rack up damage from forced switches and offensive pressure. Cloyster makes a great partner because it has Spikes, super effective STAB against most Ground-types, high Defense, and Explosion to open holes in the opponent's team. Forretress is a less solid teammate because of its lesser ability to check Ground-types, but it is better geared towards providing long-term Spikes support for Raikou. Both Skarmory and Suicune are excellent phazing partners. Skarmory's high Defense, Ground immunity, and ability to wall Snorlax complement Raikou's strong special bulk and ability to damage some of Skarmory's key checks, namely Zapdos. Suicune offers great mixed bulk and can blanket check foes with strong coverage, such as Nidoking and Tyranitar. Raikou, Suicune, and Skarmory form a potent defensive combo that few threats will be able to break through. Raikou is a common target of Explosion users such as Gengar, Cloyster, and Exeggutor, but its high Speed and strong damage output keep them at bay. However, this makes Raikou especially vulnerable to paralysis and other status conditions. Without Sleep Talk, it really appreciates Heal Bell support to remove sleep from Rest. Miltank is arguably the best choice as a Heal Bell user, since it boasts high Defense and instant recovery in Milk Drink.

[SET]
name: RestTalk
move 2: Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Water
move 3: Rest
move 4: Sleep Talk

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
========
With its excellent base 115 Speed, Raikou is the second fastest Pokemon in OU behind Jolteon. This means that Raikou will almost always have a chance to hammer the opponent before they can fire back. Incredibly fast recovery in Rest and the ability to continue attacking opponents with Thunder once asleep make Raikou a potent tank. Rather than phazing common special threats, this set aims to maximize Raikou's great tanking ability. This Raikou set will also prevent Skarmory, Starmie, and Suicune from phazing, or spinning in Starmie's case. Switching into this set can be tricky, as Raikou can hit hard twice before foes can even move. The choice of using Thunder or Thunderbolt comes down to the classic argument of accuracy versus raw power. Thunderbolt will provide more consistency but Thunder will provide the power necessary to muscle through tanks such as Zapdos. The paralysis chance from Thunder is beneficial in general, but its low accuracy and PP are a pain, especially in longer matches. Hidden Power Ice provides reliable damage against Zapdos and super effective coverage against Exeggutor, Ground-types, and Dragonite. However, Hidden Power Water will hit certain Ground-types such as Golem, Steelix, and Rhydon much harder. One side note regarding Hidden Power Water—the DV drop from using Water over Ice will cause many moves to KO Raikou more quickly. For example, Gengar will OHKO Hidden Power Water Raikou more often with Explosion and Snorlax will 2HKO it more often with Earthquake.

Team Options
==========
Raikou is a powerful tank, but there are a few threats it has trouble beating, namely Snorlax, Quagsire, and Steelix. Whirlwind Skarmory makes a great Snorlax check and has defensive synergy with Raikou. Suicune provides additional support against any pesky Ground-types and mixed attackers. Sleep Talk allows Raikou to avoid the downtime that prevents Roar Raikou from fitting well on offensive lineups, so offensive teammates are also welcome. Using RestTalk Raikou to check Zapdos on an offensive team can free up Snorlax from some of its defensive duties, making it more effective with offensive sets such as Curse + Earthquake or even Self-Destruct or Belly Drum. A set such as Curse + Self-Destruct Snorlax can eliminate Skarmory for Curse Heracross, which can also withstand Ground-type attacks aimed at Raikou. Not only does Exeggutor resist Earthquake and heavily threaten all Ground-types, it also has Explosion to remove Snorlax for Raikou, making it a fantastic teammate. Golem can check Snorlax with Roar and Explosion as well as use Rapid Spin to remove Spikes. The paralysis rate from Thunder can help out slower attackers such as Marowak and Rhydon. Physical threats such as these will also give Raikou's team an option against opposing Raikou and Blissey. Spikes support from Cloyster or Forretress is also nice, as the additional damage against threats like Exeggutor and Ground-types is very welcome.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Crunch on the RestTalk set is a more effective way to damage opposing Raikou and Exeggutor, and the possiblity of a Special Defense drop gives it a chance to force foes such as Snorlax and Raikou out, potentially creating an opportunity to hit something hard with Thunder. However, the reduced damage against the tier's many Ground-types is a major disincentive to dropping Hidden Power. Hidden Power Grass over Hidden Power Ice or Water will give Quagsire a nasty surprise. Golem, Rhydon, and Marowak are also covered by Hidden Power Grass. However, losing out on Hidden Power Ice's coverage against Nidoking and Exeggutor, Quagsire's scarce usage, and the substantial loss of bulk caused by the DV drop make it a worse option in most cases. Toxic is a possibility to wear down and force Rest from foes such as Snorlax and opposing Raikou. However, it is difficult to fit without losing coverage or Roar, which are highly desirable alongside Toxic. Without Hidden Power, Nidoking and Steelix can switch into Toxic Raikou without fear, and without Roar, it is more difficult to take advantage of Toxic's chip damage.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Snorlax**: Snorlax, especially RestTalk variants, can switch in with near impunity due to its great special bulk. Although Thunder deals a solid blow and can inflict paralysis, it does not pose a realistic KO threat, whereas Raikou is heavily threatened by Snorlax—Earthquake variants have a good chance of 2HKOing Hidden Power Ice Raikou and almost always 2HKO Hidden Power Water variants, and Double-Edge is a reliable 3HKO against any variant. Snorlax's high damage output with unboosted attacks also dissuades Raikou from using Roar on turns that Curse or Belly Drum is anticipated. Even Reflect Raikou is not truly safe, as it risks being outright OHKOed by a critical hit Double-Edge or Earthquake and struggles to outpace Snorlax's damage output due to Thunder's shaky accuracy.

**Ground-types**: All Ground-types can switch into Raikou as it uses an Electric-type attack or Rest and threaten it with Earthquake. This is one of the biggest downsides to using Raikou over Zapdos. However, if Raikou has the right Hidden Power, it can potentially deal significant damage before they can attack. Golem can force Raikou out with Earthquake in order to remove Spikes using Rapid Spin, although Raikou is not OHKOed by Earthquake and can deal heavy damage if it has Hidden Power Water. Rhydon fears super effective Hidden Power even more than Golem due to its terrible Special Defense, but it can punish Raikou's team with its powerful attacks. Marowak is the only Ground-type that can threaten a reliable unboosted OHKO on Raikou, which can often grant it an opportunity to use Swords Dance as Raikou is forced to switch. Additionally, Raikou cannot threaten a 2HKO with any of its attacks, which can sometimes put additional pressure on it to avoid using Thunder or Rest. While Nidoking lacks the high Attack of the aforementioned Ground-types, it makes up for it with its powerful array of coverage and disruptive move options, which can devastate the defensive teams Raikou often finds itself a part of. Steelix also makes for an especially good check to Raikou due to its Ice neutrality and its access to Explosion, which allows it to threaten Raikou's teammates. However, it can be quickly worn down and forced into a difficult position by Hidden Power Water variants. Piloswine is a more defensive option that can easily switch into Hidden Power Ice Raikou and threaten a freeze with Ice Beam against Raikou's teammates. However, like Steelix, it is susceptible to Hidden Power Water. Quagsire is unique as a Ground-type that is weak to neither Ice nor Water. It can put Raikou into a tough position by simultaneously threatening immediate heavy damage with STAB Earthquake and threatening to sweep by setting up with Belly Drum. It only fears the rare Hidden Power Grass.

**Electric-types**: Opposing Raikou can force an effective stalemate against Raikou in the absence of Spikes. RestTalk variants make particularly good checks, as they fear paralysis less than Roar variants. However, if Spikes are up on the foe's side, Roar Raikou can apply significant pressure against opposing Raikou. In situations where both Raikou have Roar, the slower one can prevent its foe from phazing it, limiting the foe's options significantly. Jolteon resists Thunder and can use RestTalk Raikou as an opportunity to set up Agility or Substitute, then Baton Pass to a recipient such as Marowak or Snorlax. However, these Jolteon variants will have a tough time against Roar Raikou, as it can only fish for paralysis until Raikou is forced to use Rest. It also fears paralysis from Raikou's Thunder. Growth Jolteon with Rest is another option that can potentially turn the tables on teams that rely on Raikou, as it should beat Raikou in the long run.

**Blissey**: Blissey takes virtually no damage from Raikou and can threaten an OHKO with Present in return. It also has access to Light Screen, which can allow Ground-types and Snorlax to switch in with much less to fear.

**Exeggutor**: While Exeggutor fears Hidden Power Ice and prefers not to risk paralysis from Thunder, its access to Thief, Stun Spore, Explosion, and Sleep Powder makes it a threat to Raikou and its team. If Raikou is the designated sleep absorber for its team, Exeggutor's unpredictability may make it difficult to successfully take sleep without having its Leftovers stolen by Thief, getting paralyzed by Stun Spore, or suddenly being KOed by Explosion. With Spikes up, Psychic also has a chance of 3HKOing Raikou, and the potential for Special Defense drops puts it at further risk.

**Gengar**: Gengar can find many opportunities to switch in against defensive Pokemon, and Raikou is often the safest option against Gengar, as it takes a pittance from Gengar's attacking moves besides Explosion. However, Gengar has access to disruptive moves such as Thief and Hypnosis, and it can even potentially take a weakened Raikou down with Explosion or pull off a Perish trap. With Raikou crippled or removed, foes such as Vaporeon, Charizard, and Zapdos will be harder to deal with.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Lockeness, 39891], [Earthworm, 15210]]
- Quality checked by: [[Jorgen, 53302], [Conflict, 37399], [Zokuru, 263906]]
- Grammar checked by: [[NixHex, 40064], [Calm Pokemaster, 42777], [CryoGyro, 331519]]

Last edited:
I was originally just making CMS edits to Raikou's analysis, but I went overboard and rewrote nearly the entire OO and Checks and Counters sections. So, I have decided to post my edits as a "partial rewrite", requiring one QC check and one GP check and not claiming credit for all of the writing.

I think most of it should be fine, but I would appreciate a QC to at least the parts I have changed. Also check to see if there should be any further changes to the unchanged parts. I was thinking about possibly doing more comparisons to Zapdos. Let me know what you think.

Zokuru

The Stall Lord
is a Tiering Contributor
Good analysis, however I'd make some changes :

- Sleep Talk should be main set.
- Thunder should be first slash on RestTalk
- The analysis should talk more about why Thunderbolt is not the generally better move ( Thunder 3HKO Zap, para screwing opposing momentum being beneficial to stall etc... )
- I think max speed Roar Raikou should be mentionned, winning speed tie vs opposing Raikou can be huge and a para'd Roar Raikou won't do a lot ( Use Thunder if max speed )
- Reflect should be in OO
- Maybe HP Water should be first slash on Talk, I'm not sure about Roar but probably there too.
- Add the offensive capabilities of Sleep Talk Raikou in team option, there's a few Raikou Boom Offense with Golem that work well, also the stuff with Heracross. Just a one liner to explain why it's a possibility would be enough, such as " It can be very useful in team that requiers Snorlax to something else than tanking hits from Zapdos, like using Explosion on Skarm to open the path to Heracross, also a lot of very offensive teams have trouble dealing with Zapdos and Jynx, Raikou can be helpful in that regard. "

Nothing else comes to mind. Tell me what you think should be added/changed or not.

Good analysis, however I'd make some changes :

- Sleep Talk should be main set.
I think Roar is probably slightly more common and they are probably about equal in strength. So I don't think it's necessary to change it.
- Thunder should be first slash on RestTalk
I am okay with this change.
- The analysis should talk more about why Thunderbolt is not the generally better move ( Thunder 3HKO Zap, para screwing opposing momentum being beneficial to stall etc... )
I can edit the disadvantages in.
- I think max speed Roar Raikou should be mentionned, winning speed tie vs opposing Raikou can be huge and a para'd Roar Raikou won't do a lot ( Use Thunder if max speed )
I think this is reasonable; it is useful vs Substitute Starmie too.
- Reflect should be in OO
While I pretty much never run Reflect, I am not sure if it should be dropped from the set entirely. We can discuss this more.
- Maybe HP Water should be first slash on Talk, I'm not sure about Roar but probably there too.
I personally lean towards Ice and I think it's more common, at least on Roar. We can discuss this as well.
- Add the offensive capabilities of Sleep Talk Raikou in team option, there's a few Raikou Boom Offense with Golem that work well, also the stuff with Heracross. Just a one liner to explain why it's a possibility would be enough, such as " It can be very useful in team that requiers Snorlax to something else than tanking hits from Zapdos, like using Explosion on Skarm to open the path to Heracross, also a lot of very offensive teams have trouble dealing with Zapdos and Jynx, Raikou can be helpful in that regard. "
I will add something like this if it isn't there already.

GP 1/1
[OVERVIEW]
Lions and Tigers and Raikou, oh my! With blistering base 115 Speed and Special Attack, great special bulk, Roar, and only one weakness, Raikou has the qualities most phazers and tanks wish they had. This combination of factors allows Raikou to come in on a slew of special attackers and either tank them with a blazing fast RestTalk combo or phaze them with Roar. Speaking of Roar, Raikou is one of the most dependable phazers in OU. Unlike many of its phazing brethren, Raikou has both significant offensive prowess in Thunder as well as amazing Speed. With Spikes support, Raikou can become a true terror. Good base 90 HP and 100 Special Defense give Raikou some serious special bulk, but its low Defense is a bit of a drag, especially with a weakness to the ubiquitous Earthquake. Raikou's movepool is shallow, and it can do little to the most common Pokemon in OU—Snorlax. However, beyond these few issues, Raikou is easily one of the most dependable Pokemon in OU.

[SET]
name: Phazer
move 2: Roar
move 3: Hidden Power Water / Hidden Power Ice / Reflect
move 4: Rest
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 216 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
========
When it comes to dependable phazers, it doesn't get much better than Raikou. This set will stop numerous special attackers and setup sweepers such as Growth Vaporeon, Zapdos, Gengar, Suicune, and Growth Jolteon. Raikou will also serve as an effective check to any Misdreavus trying to Perish trap. While Roar phazes opponents foes and racks up entry hazard damage, Raikou can also threaten opponents them with STAB attacks. Thunder's extra power allows it to force out RestTalk Zapdos more easily and comes with a crucial 30% paralysis chance, which can help it cripple opposing Raikou and Grass-types such as Exeggutor. However, Thunderbolt is more reliable, especially against foes such as Growth Vaporeon that can significantly threaten it in return such as Growth Vaporeon. Hidden Power Water and Ice are used to hit Ground-types such as Nidoking and Marowak as they switch in. Hidden Power Water has the additional benefit of hitting Golem and Rhydon 4x effectively as well as dealing super effective damage to Steelix, but leaves Raikou without an option to hit Exeggutor, requires Raikou to use a lower HP DV, and slightly reduces its Raikou's ability to reliably take out Zapdos. Alternatively, Reflect can be used to halve the damage from physical sweepers such as Snorlax, Marowak, and Heracross, making it easier to switch out to a counter or safely burn sleep turns. Reflect will also greatly benefit Snorlax trying to set up Belly Drum, but without Hidden Power, Raikou will be unable to threaten Exeggutor or and Ground-types, so a coverage attack is generally recommended. Rest is in the fourth slot to keep Raikou healthy. Status from opponents, especially paralysis, will still be a pain, and without Sleep Talk, Raikou will be unable to threaten any foes until it wakes up. Raikou also has the option of reducing its Speed EVs in order to prevent faster foes such as opposing Raikou with maximum Speed from phazing it, even while it's asleep, as phazing moves require the user to move second in order to work. However, this leaves it at risk of losing to Starmie with Substitute and potentially Nightmare, which it would usually perform well against due to having equal Speed, so it is not always recommended. It's also worth noting that while the EVs listed will allow Raikou to outspeed Gengar, they will have equal Speed when they're both paralyzed.

Team Options
==========
Raikou is easily one of the best offensive phazers in OU. With Spikes support, it will easily rack up damage from forced switches and offensive pressure. Cloyster makes a great partner since because it has Spikes, super effective STAB against most Ground-types, high Defense, and Explosion to open holes in the opponent's team. Forretress is a less solid teammate because of its lesser ability to check Ground-types, but it is better geared towards providing long-term Spikes support for Raikou. Both Skarmory and Suicune are excellent phazing partners. Skarmory will cover Raikou's Ground weakness, while Raikou can absorb powerful Electric attacks, such as Thunder, aimed at Skarmory. Skarmory's high Defense, Ground immunity, and ability to wall Snorlax complement Raikou's strong special bulk and ability to damage some of Skarmory's key checks, namely Zapdos. Suicune offers great mixed bulk and can blanket check foes with strong coverage, such as Nidoking and Tyranitar. Raikou, Suicune, and Skarmory form a potent defensive combo that few threats will be able to break through. Raikou is a common target of Explosion users such as Gengar, Cloyster, and Exeggutor, but its high Speed and strong damage output allows it to keep them at bay. However, this makes Raikou especially vulnerable to paralysis and other status conditions. Without Sleep Talk, it will really appreciates Heal Bell support to remove sleep from Rest. Miltank is arguably the best choice as a Heal Bell user, since it boasts high Defense and instant recovery in Milk Drink.

[SET]
name: RestTalk
move 2: Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Water
move 3: Rest
move 4: Sleep Talk

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
========
With its excellent base 115 Speed, Raikou is the second fastest Pokemon in OU behind Jolteon. This means that Raikou will almost always have a chance to hammer the opponent before they can fire back. Incredibly fast recovery in Rest and the ability to continue attacking opponents with Thunder once asleep make Raikou a potent tank. Rather than phazing common special threats, (comma) such as Zapdos, Gengar, Growth Vaporeon, and Exeggutor this set aims to abuse maximize Raikou's great tanking ability. This Raikou set will also prevent Skarmory, Starmie, and Suicune from phazing, or Rapid Spinning spinning in Starmie's case. Switching into this set can be tricky, as Raikou can hit the opponent very hard twice before they foes can even move. The difference between choice of using Thunder or Thunderbolt comes down to the classic argument of accuracy versus raw power. Thunderbolt will provide more consistency but Thunder will provide the power necessary to muscle through opposing tanks such as Zapdos. The paralysis chance from Thunder is beneficial in general, but its low accuracy and PP are a pain, especially in longer matches. Hidden Power Ice and Water are both great options for this set. Hidden Power Ice provides super effective coverage against Exeggutor, Ground-types, and Dragonite. However, Hidden Power Water will hit certain Ground-types such as Golem, Steelix, and Rhydon much harder. One side note regarding Hidden Power Water—the DV drop from using Water over Ice will cause many moves to KO Raikou more often and more quickly than if it used Hidden Power Ice. For example, with Hidden Power Water, Gengar will OHKO Hidden Power Water Raikou more often with Explosion and Snorlax with 2HKO Raikou more often with Earthquake.

Team Options
==========
Raikou is a powerful tank, but there are a few threats that it will have trouble breaking it has trouble beating, namely Snorlax, Quagsire, and Steelix. Whirlwind Skarmory makes a great Snorlax check and has the added benefit of providing physically defensive synergy with Raikou. Skarmory will check Snorlax with its ever-useful Whirlwind, while Suicune will provide additional support against any pesky Ground-types and mixed attackers. Sleep Talk allows Raikou to avoid the downtime that prevents Roar Raikou from fitting well on offensive lineups, so offensive teammates are also welcome. Using RestTalk Raikou to check Zapdos on an offensive team can free up Snorlax from some of its defensive duties, making it more effective with offensive sets such as Curse + Earthquake or even Self-Destruct or Belly Drum. If using a A set such as Curse + Self-Destruct Snorlax, (comma) Skarmory can be eliminated eliminates Skarmory for Curse Heracross, which can also withstand Ground-type attacks aimed at Raikou. Not only does Exeggutor resist Earthquake and heavily threaten all Ground-types, it also has Explosion to remove Snorlax for Raikou, making it a fantastic teammate. Although Exeggutor has the ability to threaten Snorlax, it typically makes for a mediocre check to it. Golem can provide Raikou with a more sturdy answer to more solidly answer Snorlax, (comma) possibly through Explosion, that can also use Explosion to weaken or remove Snorlax and use Rapid Spin to remove Spikes. The paralysis rate from Thunder can help out slower attackers such as Marowak and Rhydon. Physical threats such as these will also give Raikou's team an option against opposing Raikou and Blissey. Spikes support from Cloyster or Forretress is also nice, as the additional damage from Spikes against threats like Exeggutor and Ground-types is very welcome.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Crunch on the RestTalk set is a more effective way to damage opposing Raikou and Exeggutor, and the possiblity of a Special Defense drop gives it a chance to force foes such as Snorlax and Raikou out, potentially opening up creating an opportunity to hit something hard with Thunder. However, the reduced damage against the tier's many Ground-types is a major disincentive to dropping Hidden Power. Hidden Power Grass over Hidden Power Ice or Water will give Quagsire a nasty surprise if it should come in on Raikou. Golem, Rhydon, and Marowak are also covered by Hidden Power Grass. However, losing out on the super effective coverage from Hidden Power Ice's coverage against Nidoking and Exeggutor, Quagsire's scarce usage, and the substantial loss of bulk caused by the DV drop make it a worse option in most cases. Toxic is a possibility to wear down and force Rest from foes such as Snorlax and opposing Raikou. However, it is difficult to fit without losing coverage or Roar, both of which are highly desirable alongside Toxic. Without Hidden Power, Nidoking and Steelix will be able to switch into Toxic Raikou without fear, and without Roar, it is more difficult to take advantage of Toxic's chip damage.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Snorlax**: Snorlax, especially RestTalk variants, can switch in with near impunity due to its great special bulk. Although Thunder deals a solid blow to Snorlax and can inflict paralysis, it does not pose a realistic KO threat, whereas Raikou is heavily threatened by Snorlax—Earthquake variants have a good chance of 2HKOing Hidden Power Ice Raikou and almost always 2HKO Hidden Power Water variants, and Double-Edge is a reliable 3HKO against either any variant. Snorlax's high damage output with unboosted attacks also dissuades Raikou from using Roar on turns that Curse or Belly Drum is anticipated. Even Reflect Raikou is not truly safe, as it risks being outright OHKOed by a critical hit Double-Edge or Earthquake and struggles to outpace Snorlax's damage output due to Thunder's shaky accuracy.

**Ground-types**: All Ground-types can switch into Raikou as it uses an Electric-type attack or Rest and threaten it with a super effective STAB Earthquake. This is one of the biggest downsides to using Raikou over Zapdos. However, if Raikou has the right Hidden Power, it can potentially deal significant damage before they can attack. Golem can threaten force Raikou out with Earthquake or Explosion in order to remove Spikes using Rapid Spin, although Raikou is not OHKOed by the former and can deal heavy damage if it has Hidden Power Water. Rhydon fears super effective Hidden Power even more than Golem due to its terrible Special Defense, but it can punish Raikou's team with its powerful attacks. Marowak is the only Ground-type that can threaten a reliable unboosted OHKO on Raikou, which can often grant it an opportunity to boost its Attack with use Swords Dance as Raikou is forced to switch. Additionally, Raikou cannot threaten a 2HKO with any of its attacks, which can sometimes put additional pressure on it to avoid using Thunder or Rest. While Nidoking lacks the high Attack of the aforementioned Ground-types, it makes up for it with its powerful array of coverage and disruptive move options, which can devastate the defensive teams Raikou often finds itself a part of. Steelix also makes for an especially good check to Raikou due to its lack of a weakness to Hidden Power Ice Ice neutrality and its access to Explosion, which allows it to threaten Raikou's teammates. However, it can be quickly worn down and forced into a difficult position by Hidden Power Water variants. Piloswine is a more defensive option that can easily switch into Hidden Power Ice Raikou and threaten a freeze with Ice Beam against Raikou's teammates. However, like Steelix, it is also susceptible to Hidden Power Water. Quagsire is unique as a Ground-type that fears neither Hidden Power Ice nor Hidden Power Water. It can put Raikou into a tough position by simultaneously threatening immediate heavy damage with STAB Earthquake and threatening to sweep by setting up with Belly Drum. It only fears the rare Hidden Power Grass from Raikou.

**Electric-types**: Opposing Raikou can force an effective stalemate against Raikou in the absence of Spikes. RestTalk variants make particularly good checks, as they fear paralysis less than Roar variants. However, if Spikes are up on the foe's side, Roar Raikou can apply significant pressure against opposing Raikou. In situations where both Raikou have Roar, the slower one can prevent its foe from phazing it, limiting the foe's options significantly. Jolteon resists Thunder and can use RestTalk Raikou as an opportunity to set up Agility or Substitute, then Baton Pass to a recipient such as Marowak or Snorlax that can come in and threaten to set up or deal heavy damage. However, these Jolteon variants will have a tough time against Roar Raikou, as it will essentially be able to do nothing but they can only fish for paralysis until Raikou is forced to use Rest. It also fears paralysis from Raikou's Thunder. Growth Jolteon with Rest is another option that can potentially turn the tables on teams that rely on Raikou, as it should beat Raikou in the long run.

**Blissey**: Blissey takes virtually no damage from Raikou and can threaten an OHKO on Raikou with Present in return. It also has access to Light Screen, which can allow Ground-types and Snorlax to switch in with much less to fear from Raikou's attacks.

**Exeggutor**: While Exeggutor fears Hidden Power Ice and prefers not to risk paralysis from Thunder, its access to Thief, Stun Spore, Explosion, and Sleep Powder makes it a threat to Raikou and its team. If Raikou is the designated sleep absorber for its team, Exeggutor's unpredictability and access to dangerous and disruptive moves may make it difficult to successfully take sleep without having its Leftovers stolen by Thief, getting paralyzed by Stun Spore, or suddenly being KOed by Explosion. With Spikes up, Psychic also has a chance of 3HKOing Raikou even without lowering its Special Defense.

**Gengar**: Gengar can find many opportunities to switch in against defensive Pokemon, and Raikou is often the safest option against Gengar, as it takes a pittance from Gengar's attacking moves besides Explosion. However, Gengar has access to disruptive moves such as Thief and Hypnosis, and it can even potentially take a weakened Raikou down with Explosion or pull off a Perish trap. With Raikou crippled or removed, foes such as Vaporeon, Charizard, and Zapdos will be harder to deal with.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Lockeness, 39891], [Earthworm, 15210]]
- Quality checked by: [[Jorgen, 53302], [Conflict, 37399], [Zokuru, 263906]]
- Grammar checked by: [[NixHex, 40064], [Calm Pokemaster, 42777], [, ]]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)