VGC Rain team

This is my first VGC team that I'm actually having a lot of success with- it got me from 1450s to 1620s so far (battle spot rating) , and I think I can get past 1700 with it without much effort. Also my first RMT, so if I did something wrong please let me know.

Politoed @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 SpA/4 spD/ 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Encore
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Hydro Pump

Because it's the only aviable pokemon with Drizzle, Politoed is kind of a must-have in a rain team. That said, it consistently proves to be one of the strongest members of the team- It's natural bulk allows it to survive allmost any hit (although rarely more than one), and with the choice scarf it's capable of outspeeding just about anything. The Ice beam is very threatening to very common "anti-rain" leads, such as Landorus+Thundurus, and it also outspeeds and OHKOs MegaMence. Encore is a bit tricky to use, but it allowed me to shut down common fake outers such as mega Kangaskhan numerous times. Scald is the go-to move when the first two moves aren't very valuable, and Hydro Pump tends to just sit there in case I need that little bit of extra oomph (37.5% chance to OHKO max HP/0 spD assault vest lando in the rain).

Ludicolo @ Assault Vest
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 HP/188 Def/ 68 SpA
Modest Nature
- Fake Out
- Ice Beam
- Giga Drain
- Hydro Pump

Allmost every game, I open up with Politoed and Ludicolo. Because of Swift Swim, Ludicolo is faster than most things without any investment (including mega kanga, which is pretty useful when it comes to turn 1 fake outs). Assault Vest makes him nearly invincible to neutral special hits while the defensive investment lets him survive a physical hit or two. The moveset is capable of doing at least neutral damage to allmost anything (Hydro Pump in the rain is pretty strong even without real spA investment).

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-Turn
- Flare Blitz
- Will-o-wisp

Talonflame, ah, Talonflame. One of the most hated pokemon and for a good reason (although surprisingly, I have yet to encounter one on the other side of the field this season). This pokemon initially made it into the team because I needed something to hit on the physical side, but game after game it just proves an incredibly valuable asset. For some reason very few people actually attempt to protect the pokemon It's most likely to target, and with the Choice Band it actually hits hard enough to 2HKO just about anything that doesnt resist Flying (and OHKO when super effective). The other moves tend to just sit there, but from time to time they end up being useful. Will-o-wisp is there simply because of the free slot and the Steel Wing being too weak to actually do anything meaningful.

Zapdos @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP/252 SpA/4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Roost
- Hidden Power Ground

Zapdos is a pokemon that provides a good amount of offensive pressure while still hitting quite hard. Thunder makes good use of the rain, while HP Ground is there for Heatran and pokemon immune to Electric (who tend to be weak to Ground). His main weakness is his inability to hit Landorus with anything, but the team has so many other things to deal with him that it's usually meaningless.

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy/Parental Bond
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- Sucker Punch
- Low Kick

This slot was initially occupied by a Volcarona, but I literally never needed her, so I swapped the bug for something more useful. Very much a standard set, I usually use him to pick up knockouts in the midgame after the rain duo weakens the opponent's leads.

Gardevoir-mega @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace/Pixiliate
EVs: 252 SpA/4 Def/252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Protect

Mega Gardevoir was initially the only mega on the team, but ever since I reached about 1550 rating points she unfortunately seems to be underperforming (and will probably end up swapped out for a Sylveon). The current meta is full of things that don't really care about her STAB moves, and most things that do tend to die to the ice beams of the rain core anyway. Regardless, in some matchups she performs quite well and can be switched in on most moves targeted at other pokemon in the team.

Last edited:
I'd drop the two megas for just one, but that's just me.

Interesting team, but not many of your Pokemon benefit from the rain. Sure, you've got Ludicolo and Thunder on Zapdos, but that's it. Your Politoed should also be holding a Damp Rock, since that will make your rain last 8 turns instead of 5, which is extremely helpful this gen. Talonflame is actually hindered by rain, since he'll be taking more water damage and Flare Blitz loses power.

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
is a Top Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey there, really good team man! For starters, I suggest changing Ludicolo's spread to Tlaloc's spread of 100 HP / 68 Def / 188 SpA / 4 SpD / 148 Spe with a Modest Nature. 148 Spe allows Ludicolo to outrun Choice Scarf Landorus-T in Rain while the Special Attack investment lets it have a high chance to OHKO bulky Mega Salamence with Ice Beam. The HP and Defense EVs lets it live an Adamant Life Orb Bisharp's Knock Off.

252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 100 HP / 68 Def Ludicolo: 140-165 (83.3 – 98.2%) — guaranteed 2HKO

188+ SpA Ludicolo Ice Beam vs. 52 HP / 84 SpD Mega Salamence: 168-200 (94.9 – 112.9%) — 68.8% chance to OHKO

Your team also lacks any form of speed control, outside of Rain but that only affects one Pokemon, so I suggest switching Will-o-Wisp on Talonflame to Tailwind. You already mention that Will-o-Wisp is there just because there was a free slot, so switching to Tailwind wouldn't harm you. Its also a nice last ditch move, in case Talonflame isn't needed anymore, so you can boost the Speed of its partner.

Considering your Kangaskhan is there to essentially clean up once Rain has done its damage, I suggest changing Return with Double Edge. Return is pretty mediocre without Power-Up Punch, to be honest. Most bulky Pokemon are EVed mostly into Defense due to how physically oriented this meta is so Return won't be doing as much damage to them. Double Edge allows Kangaskhan to clean up a lot better since it allows it to do a LOT more damage than Return.

252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 124 Def Rotom-W: 139-164 (88.5 - 104.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Sitrus Berry recovery

252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Amoonguss: 150-177 (67.8 - 80%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 212 HP / 104 Def Thundurus: 191-227 (105.5 - 125.4%) -- 0.8% chance to OHKO

compared to Return
252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. 252 HP / 124 Def Rotom-W: 118-141 (75.1 - 89.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Sitrus Berry recovery

252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Amoonguss: 126-150 (57 - 67.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. 212 HP / 104 Def Thundurus: 164-195 (90.6 - 107.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Sitrus Berry recovery

Zapdos is kind of awkward on your team. You're running an offensive set, with a semi-defensive spread. As you're not really using it for Tailwind, I suggest you switch out Zapdos with Thundurus. The main reason why I suggest using Thundurus over Zapdos is because Thundurus has access to priority Taunt, which is really useful for your team, as it can shut down Trick Room, opposing Speed Control, and Amoonguss. I suggest using Level 51's spread of 236 HP / 104 Def / 60 SpA / 108 Spe with a Modest Nature. This spread allows Thundurus to outrun Adamant Landorus-T by 2 points and survive an Adamant Mega Kangaskhan's Double Edge.

252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 236 HP / 104 Def Thundurus: 191-227 (103.8 - 123.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Sitrus Berry recovery

As you've mentioned in your rate, Mega Gardevoir has been underperforming. While it's still a great Mega, it doesn't offer anything new for your team to be honest. Most of the time, I would choose Mega Kangaskhan over Gardevoir while playing against common teams (those that have Landorus-T, Thundurus, Mega Kangaskhan, 3 fillers, etc). I suggest replacing Gardevoir with Hydreigon. You have 0 ways of reliably OHKOing Aegislash, Talonflame has weakened Flare Blitz under Rain and Aegislash can just King Shield on your Flare Blitz which would lower Talonflame's Attack. Hydreigon gives you a reliable way of hitting Aegislash and Cresselia, which is kind of a pain for your team, for massive damage. It also works pretty well on your team already, considering you have multiple ways of dealing with common Fighting-types. It threatens common Trick Room, which is also another big threat to your team, setters, such as Cresselia.

Once again, sweet team man! Scarf Politoed is super legit so its great seeing more people using it haha. Definitely watch out for Trick Room, as that is a pretty big threat to your team. Nonetheless, hope I helped man and good luck with the team!!! :]
-DaAwesomeDude1

Ludicolo @ Assault Vest
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 100 HP / 68 Def / 188 SpA / 4 SpD / 148 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fake Out
- Ice Beam
- Giga Drain
- Hydro Pump

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-Turn
- Flare Blitz
- Tailwind

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Double Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Low Kick

Thundurus @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
Level: 50
EVs: 236 HP / 104 Def / 60 SpA / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt / Thunder (Thunderbolt is much more reliable which is why I suggest it first)
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave / Swagger
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Volt Switch

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Level: 50
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast / Earth Power / Dragon Pulse
- Protect

I'd drop the two megas for just one, but that's just me.

Interesting team, but not many of your Pokemon benefit from the rain. Sure, you've got Ludicolo and Thunder on Zapdos, but that's it. Your Politoed should also be holding a Damp Rock, since that will make your rain last 8 turns instead of 5, which is extremely helpful this gen. Talonflame is actually hindered by rain, since he'll be taking more water damage and Flare Blitz loses power.
I changed mega Garde for Sylveon in the meantime, I'm quite happy with the change :)

The thing about scarf Politoed is that it allows it to outspeed megaMence, who is a pretty big threat to Ludicolo. It's true that rain usually manages to end before the battle ends, but shuffling him right back in is pretty easy (I usually switch him out early anyway because being choiced it tends to run out of targets). Brave Bird isn't hindered by rain, and being priority it saved me in a lot of tough situations such as Trick Room.

Hey there, really good team man! For starters, I suggest changing Ludicolo's spread to Tlaloc's spread of 100 HP / 68 Def / 188 SpA / 4 SpD / 148 Spe with a Modest Nature. 148 Spe allows Ludicolo to outrun Choice Scarf Landorus-T in Rain while the Special Attack investment lets it have a high chance to OHKO bulky Mega Salamence with Ice Beam. The HP and Defense EVs lets it live an Adamant Life Orb Bisharp's Knock Off.
Thank you :P
I feel like it would make me much more vulnerable to all those thunderbolts, ice beams, hyper voices flying around though. I have scarf Toed to outspeed megaMence and it isn't even much of a threat to my team anyway, excluding the Ludicolo. fake out+Politoed's hydro pump is a guaranteed OHKO on an offensive Bisharp.

Your team also lacks any form of speed control, outside of Rain but that only affects one Pokemon, so I suggest switching Will-o-Wisp on Talonflame to Tailwind. You already mention that Will-o-Wisp is there just because there was a free slot, so switching to Tailwind wouldn't harm you. Its also a nice last ditch move, in case Talonflame isn't needed anymore, so you can boost the Speed of its partner.
I guess I can do that, thank you!

Considering your Kangaskhan is there to essentially clean up once Rain has done its damage, I suggest changing Return with Double Edge. Return is pretty mediocre without Power-Up Punch, to be honest. Most bulky Pokemon are EVed mostly into Defense due to how physically oriented this meta is so Return won't be doing as much damage to them. Double Edge allows Kangaskhan to clean up a lot better since it allows it to do a LOT more damage than Return.
That's a really good one!, I'll definitely do that.

Zapdos is kind of awkward on your team. You're running an offensive set, with a semi-defensive spread. As you're not really using it for Tailwind, I suggest you switch out Zapdos with Thundurus. The main reason why I suggest using Thundurus over Zapdos is because Thundurus has access to priority Taunt, which is really useful for your team, as it can shut down Trick Room, opposing Speed Control, and Amoonguss. I suggest using Level 51's spread of 236 HP / 104 Def / 60 SpA / 108 Spe with a Modest Nature. This spread allows Thundurus to outrun Adamant Landorus-T by 2 points and survive an Adamant Mega Kangaskhan's Double Edge.
Hmmm, it's true that Trick Room is quite a big threat to my team. So far I usually led very offensive with toed+ludicolo, but this may give me more options.

As you've mentioned in your rate, Mega Gardevoir has been underperforming. While it's still a great Mega, it doesn't offer anything new for your team to be honest. Most of the time, I would choose Mega Kangaskhan over Gardevoir while playing against common teams (those that have Landorus-T, Thundurus, Mega Kangaskhan, 3 fillers, etc). I suggest replacing Gardevoir with Hydreigon. You have 0 ways of reliably OHKOing Aegislash, Talonflame has weakened Flare Blitz under Rain and Aegislash can just King Shield on your Flare Blitz which would lower Talonflame's Attack. Hydreigon gives you a reliable way of hitting Aegislash and Cresselia, which is kind of a pain for your team, for massive damage. It also works pretty well on your team already, considering you have multiple ways of dealing with common Fighting-types. It threatens common Trick Room, which is also another big threat to your team, setters, such as Cresselia.
This is an interesting suggestion. As I mentioned earlier, I already swapped mGarde out for a Sylveon, but Hydreigon definitely seems interesting too. I'll playtest it (although I'm going to put a Flash Cannon on it, since Sylveon is quite threatening to my team as well nad putting in a 4x weakness to fairy doesn't exactly help that particular issue.)

Thank you both for your help guys!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)