Random Battles Team Tournament 4 - Week 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wigglytuff

mad @ redacted in redacted
is a Tiering Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
MIDSEASON UNBIASED POWER RANKING

I don't want to spend nearly the amount of time I did writing the UNBIASED POWER RANKINGS on these but there's been a lot of interesting developments that I want to talk about.

Team Kyogre (record: 4-0-1 [w vs Marshadow, G-Zapdos, Arcanine, Yveltal, t vs Xerneas])
Team Kyogre - tl;dr i guzzle the blue koolaid as fuck
Managers: frostyicelad, roginald
Gen 8 Random Battle: chemcoop
Gen 8 Random Battle: odr
Gen 7 Random Battle: GaryAjax
Gen 5 Random Battle: Staxi
Gen 4 Random Battle: bugzinator
Gen 3 Random Battle: Roginald
Gen 8 Monotype Random Battle: Andyboy
Gen 8 Hackmons Cup: TheCoastsOfToast
Gen 8 Random Doubles Battle: Memoric
Gen 7 Battle Factory: TJ
Gen 7 BSS Factory: Z Strats
Subs: TacticalFacepalms, ajhockeystar, RaJ.Shoot, anthonyy23

After somehow revitalizing the last place RBTT2 Celebi's, frostyicelad led them all the way to playoffs where they were stopped by the Yveltals. I had high expectations for his team the following year, but he drafted a team of 15 players that combined, maybe played 75 games of randbats a year, and predictably ended in last place. I dig this new style a lot. Frosty and roginald followed the RBTT3 Raikous example, except for the part where the assman drafts someone they detest R1 and ends up childishly kicking them out by week 4 #justice4durza #durzausuallydeservesitbutnotthistime #sheetgoddurza #durzais13-4onthesheetanditwouldvebeen17-4orbetterbasedonpastperformances. I'm very high on the current roster and this is the team that I have down for winning it all.

chemcoop and odr are the starters for gen 8, and both are very good picks. I'm actually not sure why chemcoop isn't in BSSF, considering he kinda plays BSS...but a very solid player nonetheless. odr struggled heavily last year after a great RBTT2, but if he ends up not working out again they have very capable subs in TacticalFacepalms and ajhockeystar.

In gen 7 is the overall leader in wins for RBTT, garyajax. He fell back down to earth with a 4-3 run last year after going 11-1 in the first two RBTTs, but I am very high on his ability to farm wins. I've noticed that I've been seeing a lot of people doing well in RBTT1/RBTT2 and then kind of flopping in RBTT3, which is explained by the much more informed and intelligent drafting that happened in RBTT3, but unlike for other players where I'd see that as a dampener, I think it's just a speedbump for garyajax and we'll be seeing a great record this year. Kool-aid drank.

Staxi is an ubers player so he should know how to operate broken shit in the variance tier. Good buy.

Then we get to the GOD. The single best record in RBTT history. Almost the pinnacle of perfection, just one loss in finals. bugzinator is returning to tear up the Gen 4 randbats pool and I'll be delighted to see every second of it. In case you were wondering "bugzinator is such a chad tournaments player, he might have his chad attention focused on other tournaments", this is NOT true, and I have the evidence.

I remember one time in raikous discord bugzi was just sitting alone in call, so I joined in and asked what was up. He told me that he was doing his pregame routine and to gtfo. Then he won the series 2-0 and lost 1 pokemon total. That's the kind of energy you want from your star player.

If that wasn't enough, Roginald is slotting into Gen 3 randbats after a very strong 6-2 run last year. Now I happen to think that there was a lot of good matchup there but there's no section on the SHEET for matchup. 6-2 is a 6-2, and we'll see another strong performance.

If you're tired of the dickriding, I'm almost done. Andyboy can navigate a good matchup so he should do fine. TheCoastsOfToast is a known entity in hackmons, though he's not done as well as of late. Memoric used to lead doubles or something so that's a good sign for doubles. TJ is on THE SHEET!!! Not the RBTT sheet, the actual sheet, so that makes him the most viable player in the tournament. Idk Z Strats but if he doesn't work out, chemcoop can slot in.

Great starters, good flexibility, substitutes that seem to have been bought with actual goals in mind. The only gripe that I have is that there is nobody for Gen 1 and Gen 2, but honestly it's not like anybody else really bought anyone for those tiers either. I guzzle hard on this kyogre kool-aid.
Apparently this is the only prediction that I have right so far. The bugzinators have secured first place throughout the first four weeks with 3 wins and a tie, and have taken down the Yveltals this week, which is the only team I'd consider to be a threat to their lossless record for the regular season. I fully expect them to win the last two weeks, and probably take the whole thing.

Since mostly everyone is performing well, there's not much that needs to be done to adjust the lineup. One problem I do see is that for a team with this much talent in gen 7 tiers (odr, tj, bugzinator), they're doing very poorly in battle factory. I always did question if randbats was the right placement for odr, so maybe he could be switched to battle factory?

Also you guys let bugzinator lose before finals, fuck you :fukyu:

Team Yveltal (record: 2-3-0 [w vs Xerneas, Marshadow, l vs G-Zapdos, Hoopa, Kyogre])
Team Yveltal - tl;dr good, but you're gonna have to lead the charge pokeblade
Managers: Pokeblade101 and Perish Song
Gen 8 RB: pokeblade101
Gen 8 RB: MichaelderBeste2
Gen 7 RB: MJ
Gen 5 RB: El químico del pueblucho
Gen 4 RB: SMB
Gen 3 RB: Mannat
Gen 8 Mono: adjustments
Gen 8 Hackmons: LandFrogg
Gen 8 Randdubs: Fitzy72
Gen 7 BF: hamhamhamhamham
Gen 7 BSSF: Lucas2543
Subs: Dragonillis, devin, gorex, IoSonoNeon

Ah yes, the Yveltals. After my sheetgod tier drafting skills got us a team that made it to finals in RBTT2, we inexplicably got railed before lunch on the second day of the week by the Hoopa train. I expected a full retirement of the team after pokeblade and I chose not to manage in RBTT3 but it seems that the legendary (not to be confused with Legendary) ladder hero has made a return with a team of some RBTT2 Yveltal veterans, heat names from RBTT3, some unknown but potentially promising substitutes, and devin.

In Gen 8 RB, we have the ladder hero duo of pokeblade101 and MichaelderBeste2. Everyone in the randbats room is on MichaelderBeste2's nuts but I haven't drank the kool-aid yet; if we look at the sheet 6/10 of the top 10 records in RBTT are very much not ladder heroes. Pokeblade has struggled since an initial strong 4-1 in RBTT1, going 3-5 and 4-3 in the next two years. Expectations for him have dampened over the last two years, but will we see a return to the pinnacle of perfection we expected in olden times?

In the old gens, we have a solid pick in MJ for Gen 7, who has gone positive in the last 2 RBTTs. Damm u captcha (I refuse to type out whatever the fuck the Smogon version is) is a good old gens player and I'm sure he knows how to click rocks and switch until win in the variance tier, so I expect him to go positive. He's also capable in the boomer gens, so he can flex to Gen 1 or Gen 2 on the weeks that it's in the Mystery Box ('-') or in Gen 3 or Gen 4 if Mannat/SMB don't work out. Doubles and RBY god SMB returns after a strong 5-2 in Gen 4. BIGs and US Midwest cheerleader Mannat, after two years of going negative in the meme tier, is slotted into Gen 3. He's a good player but no specific experience in Gen 3, so I'll expect him to break even or go 4-3 or something in a pretty strong Gen 3 pool.

I don't put much stock into Monotype and Hackmons - if you win them, nice, if not oh well. Don't know adjustments, but he's a monotype player so the pick is apt. LandFrogg is an RBTT2 Yveltal Hackmons 2v2 starter, so he can flex there on the Hackmons 2v2 week and otherwise be a solid Hackmons player.

Worst username on Smogon hamhamhamhamham went 4-3 in BF last year so it's dubious whether he can do well this year, though it should be noted that the BF pool is somewhat weaker without god lax terrorizing the field. Every time I've played lucas2543 he's haxed the shit out of me so I expect him to do well in BSSF. Doubles god fitzy72 comes back from RBTT2 after clutching semifinals win for us by sleeping 3 mons LOL. Clearly our smooth brains cannot comprehend his plays but he should do well regardless.

Subs: dragonillis is solid in just about everything. Not sure where devin fits in, other than as a BF backup. He's a good player though so he has the potential to do well wherever. I think I beat gorex in his main tier in some unofficial tournament once so that's not a great sign because I'm unviable. I have no clue who ioSonoNeon is other than that he's 53.6% gxe on the randbats ladder so....bop

Overall an average to good team that I'd predict to make playoffs, but several players are going to have to overperform to get a chance at winning the trophy, including the manager.

oh GOD i got this one wrong (though nearly not as bad as I got the Marshadows). To be fair, I did say several players would have to overperform in playoffs, they're just not overperforming right now.

Ladder god MichaelderBeste2 is 5-0!!! Which is a massive success for ladder players worldwide, because we'll be getting into several examples where that's not shaken out as well. Pokeblade is sitting at 2-2, with one of his losses being prosaic, so that's a promising start and I think he might be able to find his footing for the remainder of the season. SMB and damm u captcha are performing well. After that it's looking fairly dire.

I don't have the information to make concrete suggestions to the lineup (nor am I interested in spending hours collecting it) but if I were to suggest anything, I'd move Lucas to Gen 3 7 or 4, which seem to be struggling heavily. I get that he's doing really well in Hackmons but cmon it's hackmons. Teach someone the basics, hope they get a mon with geomancy, and move a strong player to tiers that really need to get wins in.

I would also recommend sacrificing whatever small animals the team collectively owns because good god the monotype slot is not doing well LOL. I think 3 dogs and maybe a frog should be able to turn that into instawin matchups every time.

rip mannat :(

The Yvelts showed a sign of revitalization when they were up 4-1 vs the Kyogres earlier this week. Sadly that opportunity has passed by. However, they have good opportunity to make playoffs by stealing the 4th slot from Lugia if they win both remaining weeks, and especially during the Lugias in Week 7.

Team Arcanine (record 1-3-0 [w vs lugia, L vs g-zapdos, hoopa, kyogre, 1 loss away from xerneas])
Team Arcanine
Managers: rustysherrifbadge and sharpclaw
Gen 8 Random Battle: teresbahji
Gen 8 Random Battle: The Immortal
Gen 7 Random Battle: PikminWarrior
Gen 5 Random Battle: PrinceOfAllTacos
Gen 4 Random Battle: MaswoodShaheb
Gen 3 Random Battle: HeadsILoseTailsYouWin
Gen 8 Monotype Random Battle: Sylveon used calm mind
Gen 8 Hackmons Cup: Shadowss4
Gen 8 Random Doubles Battle: JonahRamone
Gen 7 Battle Factory: sigmatecture
Gen 7 BSS Factory: c.kilgannon
Subs: Lunar Sloth, p0ip0le, PartMan, RustySheriffBadge

Teresbahji fucks up the randbats room regularly so it'll be interesting to see how that translates into a record against pretty solid players. Sadly, The Immortal's mere presence does not cause drama storms in RBTT like it tends to do in OMPL. We've all heard the OP dev admin memes, but there's no evidence that that's translated into a positive record. RustySheriffBadge can sub in if that's the case.

PikminWarrior is a midtier gen 7 player. I don't think he'll be winning against the likes of garyajax, but he should be able to grab 4-5 wins like he's done in the past 2 tournaments. PrincessOfAllTacos has the record I do, which is a disgrace I wouldn't want to wish upon anyone but myself, so hopefully he can get some wins in the variance tier. MaswoodShaheb is a new face to randbats and while the Gen 4 pool isn't as strong as the gen 3, I don't think they'll see much success. Unfortunately, there's really no subs so there's not much to be done. Anna says hi is a competent player, though I don't know if there's any specific skill in gen 3.

Sylveon used calm mind in monotype is probably my biggest issue with this lineup, and feels like a very big underutilization of his talent. He's really good at playing any of the gens (I've played a lot of bo7 gen1-7 randbats with him) so why he landed in mono is a bit of a mystery to me. Don't know the hackmons player. JonahRamone is the daddy of the doubles ladder, but as stated in the ladder hero rule, that doesn't necessarily translate to a positive record (and it hasn't so far). sigmatecture plays BF pretty actively so that's a good sign; specificity is the key when it comes to RBTT. c.kil has a bot or something that alerts her to every tournament made in any room so she's definitely got a lot of practice under her belt.

I'm unaware of the subs other than RSB, so I'll just assume that there wouldn't be much benefit to slotting them in.

Definitely a decent team but I wouldn't mark them down for playoffs.
People were super hyped about the arcanines and I got called out for ranking them as low as I did. Things have been ruff for the bork borks, with a likely loss to Xerneas this week and the playoffs hungry Yveltals to look forward to next week.

Similarly to Lucas2543, I think sylveon used calm mind should be moved to one of the struggling slots. I know he's been tearing up monotype but the yvelt's monotype hasn't put up a strong record and there are plenty of places on the arcanine LU that need a stronger player. Move someone else, hope they get a good matchup, and move a strong player to a slot that needs a strong presence. I don't fully know how the math works out but I don't think the arcanines are fully out yet? So radical line up shifts should be on the table.

shoutouts princessofalltacos for recovering his lifetime record with a strong 4-1 start in the variance tier!!! you no longer have the wigglytuff curse!!!

Team Hoopa (record 3-1-0 w vs yveltal, arcanine, xerneas, l vs lugia)
Team Hoopa - tldr better hope plot armor saves this one
Managers: not a racist and irpachuza

Gen 8 Random Battle: Panty&Stockings
Gen 8 Random Battle: Zap
Gen 7 Random Battle: Betathunder
Gen 5 Random Battle: TheFranklin
Gen 4 Random Battle: Celever
Gen 3 Random Battle: Glop
Gen 8 Monotype Random Battle: PA
Gen 8 Hackmons Cup: platinumCheesecake
Gen 8 Random Doubles Battle: snorlax142857
Gen 7 Battle Factory: temp
Gen 7 BSS Factory: soTsoT
Subs: bill1, za, karloco, Quoise

The GOAT team has lost their double ring manager Cake, so will Regirock r1 meme pick not a racist and Irpachuza pick up the slack to round out the trinity?

I don't think so. I wouldn't give either of the Gen 8 starters an edge vs a majority of the pool. Panty&Stockings struggled last RBTT, going negative after a strong 6-3 in RBTT2, and Zap is currently 3-4 on the sheet. Both of these were fairly late picks for the most important format so that was a mistake in the draft.

In the oldgens, things don't look much better. Betathunder struggled heavily last year after going 6-3 in Gen 7 mono for the Yveltals in RBTT2. He should have a handle on Gen 7 since the sets are all the same as mono but it's questionable if that'll convert into a positive record. TheFranklin is a .5 player in the variance tier so that sounds about right. Apparently not a racist and irpachuza do not believe in the CRUST rule, because they drafted someone from approximately the Black White era to play Gen 4 Randbats. I have no idea how Celever plays and I don't have a reason to believe that they'll stand up to the likes of bugzinator and SMB. The most ??? part, though, is Hoopas getting Glop for their 3rd pick to play Gen 3 Randbats. Last year Glop played 1 game of Gen 3 where they didn't save the fast electric type with toxic (crucial error if you've ever played gen 3 randbats) and flopped. They were replaced with Gen 3 SHEET GOD XGANG and moved to Gen 7. Which is fine, Glop did really well there, but on this team there's no one else to slot into a pretty stacked ADV pool and it's gonna just turn into an autoloss, which the Hoopas really can't afford.

PA will do fine in monotype and if there was ever someone to draft for Hackmons, it's platinumcheesecake. I drank the platinumcheesecake kool-aid last year and he did not disappoint at all. Big edge vs most of the pool.

I have no clue why this dude snorlax142857 was their second pick LOOOOOL he's 2-4 on the sheet for doubles and his username is pokemon + numbers. Definitely could've afforded to wait at least 8 rounds. I remember saying the same shit last year and everyone insisted that he's megalit. Maybe we'll see it this year but I really don't see this pick at all. Thankfully for the goat team, temp and sotsot are very solid players. I expect a combined 12 wins between the two of them, which this team is going to need.

No clue who any of the subs are. Hopefully they can slot in and surprise me.

All in all, I think the wrong things were prioritized in the draft and it's going to be really tough to recuperate that lost value. not a racist and irpachuza better pray for plot armor to save them because I'm not sure what else will.

WOW i was dead wrong about this, jesus h christ. I wish I had the time to examine what happened because 2/3 of their wins were 7-5, so is it the plot armor? And to be fair, I would say Hoopas have had one of the easier schedules, unlike the Kyogres. But with a strong lead over Marshadows this week, if they win vs the Marsh's they look poised to make playoffs even if they lose to #1 Kyogres and #2 Zapdos-G for the remainder of the season.

OK actually i looked at their performance more closely (more indepth analysis.)

As predicted, the gen 8 core is doing very poorly. Betathunder has shaken off his past record and leapt forward with a 4-1. TheFranklin is 0.5 in the variance tier again LOL...man everything in gen 5 needs a god damn nerf. Celever has broken crust rule and is 3-1 at the moment, with a couple hard games ahead. Glop has been farming what I'd consider the lower half of the gen 3 pool. I thought he'd be playing abysmal ruins this week, which I'd think would be tough, but apparently not. he's definitely in for an unpleasant time against SHEET GOD XGANG OML and EVEN MORE BASED SHEETGOD ROGINALD OML. the Monotype is 0.5, which is pretty good. Platty is killing HC. Snorlax was off to a tuff start but is gaining momentum. temp has been doing much better than I expected. soTsOT has been doing very well.

Looking at it, platty, temp, and celever all lost their only week in Week 2 vs the Lugias. Had their losses been spread out, we'd be looking at a tie instead of a loss vs the Lugias, a tie instead of a win vs the Arcanines, and a tie instead of a win vs the Xerneas's. They'd still be 4th place even with that in consideration.

Very impressive from the Hoopas, BUT I am still doubtful. Assuming they win vs the Marshadows, they've got a disastrous last 2 weeks before playoffs. If they mess up vs the Marshadows I think they're out, otherwise they're in for the playoffs vs much tougher teams that they've gotten very close wins on.

Team Lugia - (record 2-1-1[w vs hoopa, xerneas, l vs arcanine, t vs marshadow])
Team Lugia - tl;dr high ceiling, bottomless pit floor
Managers: rage and aqua
Gen 8 Random Battle: cloudiness
Gen 8 Random Battle: Feliburn
Gen 7 Random Battle: tko
Gen 5 Random Battle: Roseybear
Gen 4 Random Battle: Delta 2777
Gen 3 Random Battle: Piapia
Gen 8 Monotype Random Battle: Havens
Gen 8 Hackmons Cup: Zephyr Dragon Lord
Gen 8 Random Doubles Battle: Ninjadog
Gen 7 Battle Factory: trace
Gen 7 BSS Factory: a fruitshop owner
Subs: Algeria, Ereshkigal, Jrdn, Andy Snype

I don't know what to think about this team. cloudiness is an active player that looks poised to improve on his 4-3 display last year, but I can't say the same for Feliburn. tko is a tournaments regular that's been slotted into Gen 7; it's a tossup as to if that'll work out. Tournaments room and PU terrorizer Roseybear is in the variance tier, which is a massive underutilization of her talent. RoA Room Owner Rage fervently denies crust rule because 4-3 Delta 2777 was his second round pick LOL. Yeah he's got an individual trophy but I'm willing to wager half the managers don't even know what Smogon Tour is so that's a moot point, definitely could've waited several rounds. I've seen piaa around but I have no reason to believe they'll stand up to the heat in the gen 3 pool.

The team gets back on track with mono, where they bought not 1, but 2 monotype players. Might be an overpay but what the hell, it's Monotype. As for Hackmons, they picked up ladder colonizer Zephyr Dragon Lord, who apparently populates 100 accounts of the top 500 in the hackmons ladder. I remember everyone hyping the fuck out of this dude last year, and it didn't materialize at all, so I'm not sure what to think about this one.

Ninjadog is in doubles, which is a little confusing. I don't think he really plays doubles, but then again, neither does anyone else on the roster. trace did pretty well in BF 2 years ago but went 2-4 last year. a fruitshop owner is a 0.5 OM player. None of the subs are particularly inspiring.

There's a lot of potential talent in this team but also so much uncertainty, and there's too much focus on flexibility over specificity. High ceiling, bottomless pit for a floor.

Lugias have quietly put up a good record and are currently sitting in 4th. Now given that their next two teams are the Zapdos and the Kyogres I don't think that will last and when I make my prediction on the last 3 weeks, I have them at 5th. The very interesting part of all of this is that their last opponent is the Yveltals, who I predicted them to lose against. If the situation is that Lugias lose the Zapdos and Kyogre, and Yveltals lose to Kyogre (already have) and win vs Arcanine, the Hoopas win vs the Marshadows and lose vs the Zapdos and Kyogre, Lugias will battle Yveltal for the last playoff spot. This is as interesting as it gets and I hope it happens.

I don't have any suggestions for lineup, which points to what I said earlier about specificity. Everyone on this team is generally good but there's not enough standouts to make me think they can hold their own vs the likes the Zapdos and Kyogre. We'll see how it goes though.

Team Marshadow (record 0-3-1 (L vs Zapdos kyogre yveltal, t vs lugia)
Team Marshadow - tl;dr who is nudepantsman? seriously? i have to know?
Managers: aulu, lamp
Gen 8 Random Battle: swift mons
Gen 8 Random Battle: i want a lamp
Gen 7 Random Battle: MGenius
Gen 5 Random Battle: neycwang
Gen 4 Random Battle: Trade
Gen 3 Random Battle: Abyssal Ruins
Gen 8 Monotype Random Battle: jasprose
Gen 8 Hackmons Cup: Nudepantsman
Gen 8 Random Doubles Battle: HeroicTobias
Gen 7 Battle Factory: King Leo V
Gen 7 BSS Factory: Maki
Subs: My Big Diggersby, 6Roggenrolas, Cheese5555. velvet

Last years semifinalist is back for more with a draft that I like, except for their first pick in swift mons. Like come on you can definitely wait on a ladder hero that has no prior RBTT experience, and even if for some reason they get picked up early, there's plenty more in the pool. i want a lamp is a curious pick for the other gen 8 randbats; the OM wizard is 10-5 on the sheet for ssbb so I wonder how he'll do in a non meme format.

Haven't seen much out of MGenius recently and he's had some pretty middling performances, but there's always Cheese5555 to sub in. neycwang is 3-6 on the sheet but it's the variance tier. It gets good at this point though. Sheet GODS Trade and Abysmal Ruins round out the rest of the oldgens. They went for a combined 13 wins in these tiers last year and I don't see why they wouldn't do a repeat. Large edge.

In mono is jasprose, who has displayed that he can navigate a good matchup. Who the fuck is Nudepantsman LOOOOOOOOL???? IS THIS A JOKE???? Perfect round 15 pick if I've ever seen one, bravo. Shitpost and Doubles god HeroicTobias has struggled a bit but his posts are consistently funny so I've gotta drink the kool-aid.

King Leo V was 2-2 into bench last year so I'm not sure what to expect, but he probably plays 80x the amount of battle factory than most people from the tournaments room so this might turn out to be a good pick. And to round out the starters, Marshadows picked up resident monotype furry Maki for BSSF. I guess they needed to hit a diversity quota or something.

The substitutes are pretty good, with 6rog being competent at most old gens and My Big Diggersby being 1 of maybe 3 people that actually likes playing competitive cc1v1/cc2v2. Cheese can slot into any of the newer gens. I'm sure velvet knows that mons is mons too.

I expect this team to make it to playoffs, championed by Trade and keeping it icy. After that, it's up to the ??? slots to step up and bring home the trophy.
I knew going in, from looking at the schedule, that the Marshadows had literally all of the best teams in the first half of the tour and that that might create negative momentum going into the easier teams for the second half, but I didn't expect the train to derail quite like this. I think they're literally in a situation right now where they have to win or they're out of contention, and they're down 0-3.

I don't know too well where things went wrong. If I had to guess though, it was panicing when neycwang went 0-2 in gen 5 and juggling trade to Gen 5 rands. Gen 5 is the variance tier LOL idk what was expected, and I think it's not the right place for trade, who's traditionally done well in Gen 4 anyway. In fact, I'd say there was too much juggling in general and it's hard to really pinpoint this on any specific people.

If MichaelderBeste was an example of a massive success for ladder hero, swift mons is on the other side of the spectrum. A lot of value was lost with the R1 pick and I think the draft has been having rippling effects. Idk, you can check out my closer look at the marshadows.

Something amusing to me is that apparently I saw this coming and didn't even realize. The Marshadows won the preseason popularity poll, which resulted in those teams getting last place in RBTT2 and RBTT3, so I joked that Marshadows would get last place.
[18:36:24] +Wiggleetuff: so speaking from history
[18:36:27] +Wiggleetuff: marshadows will get last place

I guess this solidifies it - the poll is to be regarded as the most unbiased predictor out of all of us.

Due to the dominance of the top 2 teams, there's very much a chance for the Marshadows to steal a playoff spot, which is kind of a miracle in and of itself. Some factors are out of their control though, so I'll be watching carefully to see how their last 2.5 weeks go.

Team Zapdos-Galar (record 3-1-0 [w vs marsh, arcanine, yveltal, l vs kyogre])
Team Zapdos-Galar - pretty sure losconosciuto is a type of pizza
Managers: fragments, pujo

Gen 8 Random Battle: BoRida
Gen 8 Random Battle: Prosaic
Gen 7 Random Battle: apologies
Gen 5 Random Battle: mc56556
Gen 4 Random Battle: Teclis
Gen 3 Random Battle: xGang
Gen 8 Monotype Random Battle: maroon
Gen 8 Hackmons Cup: Pirate Princess
Gen 8 Random Doubles Battle: LoSconosciuto
Gen 7 Battle Factory: ORAS-Mega
Gen 7 BSS Factory: Lambovino
Subs: lvl100Blaziken, Jytcampbell, forsh, CMDoge

Pujo's french, which gives me half a mind to just skip this team entirely. Last time I played against a French player they invited 17 of their buddies and every other turn the chat was filled with "mdr". I'm a little surprised that pujo didn't end up playing, yeah not a stellar record last year but he's a strong player.

BoRida and prosiac are the Gen 8 starters. BoRida was massively hyped last year, but honestly the only thing I remember about his 4-4 run was when he was playing vs durza and durza was simultaneously talking in our discord server about how his strategic timer stalls would make him overpredict. Sure enough, he did and durza ended up winning against a regenerator pp stall somehow. prosiac went 5-2 so I wonder if the order should be switched? Not that it matters much.

Not sure who apologies is. mc56556, the resident smogtours nice guy, is slotted into gen5 rands. I'm really not sure what to expect, but it's also the variance tier so I won't think too hard about it. Iguanadon, just click rocks and double switch around until everythings in 2hko or 1hko range. Teclis should be a midtier starter for any of the oldgens. The goat of gen 3 randbats, xGang, is back after going 8-1 last year. He should terrorize the pool again.

They got a monotype guy for monotype, cool. Don't know Pirate Princess. ORAS-mega is a UU ladder hero, which I know is supposed to be a positive for battle factory in theory but in practice it's fairly shaky because BF generates some of the most unviable sets and teams ever. Losconoscuito is a ladder fiend in pretty much everything so he can be flexed around if borida doesn't work out in gen 8. Lambovino is a tournaments player, though I find the BSSF placement odd. I think he's an ADV OU player so I guess he can play the old gens in mystery box.

There's not much to say about the subs. I don't think any of them would be worth slotting in except for maybe jyt into Battle Factory if ORAS doesn't work out. I'd place this team as making playoffs, but I'm really not sure about anything after.
The G-Zapdos have overperformed relative to my expectations, with a lossless gen 8 core. There's not really much I have to say about them - their picks that I was unsure about so have done well. In a head to head matchup with the Kyogres, who it seems like will be their opponent in finals, they lost 5-7, so it'll be very exciting to see the rematch.

Team Xerneas (record 0-3-1 [l vs yveltal, lugia, hoopa, t vs kyogre, likely win vs arcanine this week])
Team Xerneas - im starting to get exhausted
Managers: aeonic, petros
Gen 8 Random Battle: 100%GXE
Gen 8 Random Battle: Legendary
Gen 7 Random Battle: LordST
Gen 5 Random Battle: Rach
Gen 4 Random Battle: Jacked
Gen 3 Random Battle: martha
Gen 8 Monotype Random Battle: MultiAmmiratore
Gen 8 Hackmons Cup: dogknees
Gen 8 Random Doubles Battle: DarkFlames64
Gen 7 Battle Factory: London13
Gen 7 BSS Factory: Yes or no my dude
Subs: raf, vigilantevigoroth, Peary, emboar02

It's hard to put my finger on this team. It's a mix of high performing veterans, old boomers, and ???s.

For Gen 8, we have a very strong starter in Legendary, who went 6-1 last year, and 100%GXE, who had less of a successful season but has popped off as a player since then. LordST did well in gen 8 and gen 7 last year so we're probably looking at a repeat, because I don't think the pool is significantly stronger.

Rach has moved from hosting RBTT to playing in it. As a tournament host myself I can assure that hosting tournaments magically kills your mons skill, but she also just won against Staxi so who knows. I challenge Jacked to prove his name and do 10 pushups for every mon he loses in RBTT, which shouldn't be too many given his fairly solid record. His previous managers had a habit of flexing him to too many tiers because he's an allrounder, but since he's a manager this time maybe that'll happen less. Not sure how martha will do against the stacked gen 3 pool, she can definitely play but so can the top half of that pool and they also ladder it for god knows how long.

Idk the monotype person, they got an OM player for hackmons so that should be fine. Sheet God DarkFlames is historically flames at doubles (13-4 with only two tournaments played), but of the gen 7 variety. Not sure how he'll adapt to Gen 8. London13 is a tournaments regular so BF makes sense, though thats also been true in the past and he hasn't had a great performance. BSSF pick might be a meme but I see him around in the randbats room pretty often. I don't know how well the subs slot in, other than emboar into hackmons if dogknees doesn't work out.

There's talent on this team but I don't think I'd write them down for playoffs. The current lineup just has to work, or they won't be getting enough wins to make it.

I found myself surprised when I saw that Xerneas's are winless. Whenever I check the weekly threads I feel like they're winning. Oh well.

=====

UPDATED POWER RANKING
1: Kyogre
2: Zapdos-Galar
3: Hoopa
4: Yveltal
5: Lugia
6: Arcanine
7: Xerneas
8: Marshadow

Hi, so, here's a predicament. I was up vs one of the best Gen 8 players I've faced. We were supposed to have a G3, but... the game had other plans. I looked forward to making our series more exciting, long, and suspenseful. So as much as I would like to continue, I just need to count the bullshit at the end of G2 as a win for my team in order to make this a 4-4. Sorry for G2 I have never gotten this much confusion luck in my entire life. Guess I didn't need Aura Sphere..

GG in terms of everything else, Boris.

Game 1

What the fuck was this Game 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)