Random Team with no solid strategy but still finds more wins than losses

I'm a beginner to team building and built this sort of team. Double stealth rock due to tyranitar being unstable, and in case of rapid spins. Heatran Toxic & Roar to toxic everyone and protect to check moves. Roar also kills those with weaknesses to stealth rock. The rest are sweepers and counters to annoying Pokemon e.g. Politoed, Breloom, Blissey, etc. Currently struggles with Gastrodon w/the drain ability (storm drain?)

Tyranitar w/Focus Sash
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Nature +Atk -SpAtk
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Giga Impact
- Stone Edge
Typical stealth rocker, focus sash makes stealth rock 100% possible (unless rapid spin comes along). Also there to revenge-kill Lucario, Infernape, etc. Earthquake to stop heatran, although not many heatrans have steel moves. Giga Impact to kill things that are resistant to earthquake and stone edge. Very often switched out due to resisting stealth rock and spikes.

Metagross w/Life Orb OR Occa Berra
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Nature +Atk -SpAtk
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
Back up stealth rock, Bullet Punch for finishing. I'd like a new item, but Life orb just does the trick for me. Weakness to steel is rare, but counters most sets. Occa berry used when countering Infernape with Earthquake, allowing one or possibly two earthquakes, depending on move used by Infernape. Is resistant to all entry hazards, so like tyranitar, is used most often as a check/counter rather than a sweeper.

Starmie w/Tanga Berry
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
+Speed-Atk
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Thunder
- Psychic
Mixed Sweeper. Tanga berry is a temporary one; I'm trying to think of a better item (are duplicate items allowed? If so, is Life orb good?). Natural Cure for when people make it sleep, sleep clause makes starmie the only one on the team asleep, but comes out awoken. Haven't actually tested it out, but I think natural cure only cures when you switch in. Thunder counters Politoed and Gyarados (but is weak to crunch) on rain teams.

Rotom-Wash w/Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Nature +SpAtk -Atk
- Thunder
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch
A somewhat test subject. EV spread is kinda "meh". Usually not so great at dealing damage for me (never used a RotomW before). Thunder is a rain team counter. Its main use is clearing out rain teams with thunder, so that Tyranitar comes around with its sandstream. Hidden Power Ice for countering grass types, and the occasional annoying Breloom. Could replace either this guy or Starmie, not sure.

Hydreigon w/White Herb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Nature +Speed -Def
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Superpower
- Earthquake
Checks most Pokemon. Counters foretress, scizor and ferrothorn with fire blast (opponent may or may not predict fire blast on Hydreigon). Super power for blissey, snorlax, etc. I'm not sure if White Herb helps here, since its gonna be using Draco Meteor/Superpower a lot. Kinda want a U-turn on this thing to heal all the lowered stats, then I could put another item in. Is this a good idea?

Heatran w/Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Nature +SpDef-Atk
- Fire Blast
- Roar
- Protect
- Toxic
Bulky, specially defensive, tank. Protect + Leftovers to regain that little extra HP, Toxic to wear down opponents, and roar used with stealth rock to force switches and deal damage at the same time. Fire blast takes care of rapid spin foretress. (I think ferrothorn has rapid spin too?). Gets checked very easily by Jellicent, but can roar it away/protect to scout.

Please rate my team :)
any feedback will be welcome, and considered.

Last edited:
This is a good try for a team building begginner, but has some flaws you could correct: (in my opinion)

First, I don't think putting Thunder on Rotom-W as a Rain counter is a good idea. If there's no rain, you have a really bad accuracy and a high risk of being killed after a missed Thunder. You could replace it by either ThunderBolt or Volt Switch. Here's one of the sets I use:
Rotom-Wash @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Trick

Second, I've never seen a mixed Hydreigon... But as I saw on Smogon it exists. I think you should use it as a special sweeper as it is easier to use. Replace White Herb by either Choice Scarf or Specs, and Replace Earthquake and Superpower by either Earth Power or Focus Blast. This makes a so great Sweeper.

Third, for Tyranitar. Giga Impact is really Horrible. I mean, really. You should never use a move that needs charging if you're not using Power Herb. You will get killed by a 4x SE attack without being able to switch. I suggest Low Kick or DDance

Fourth, if a pokemon gets through Heatran, you're dead. Your team will get demolished by a setup sweeper or else, without you being able to stall it. Maybe add Skarmory or another defensive mon?

I just pointed out a few flaws, and there's some others you could correct. And I didn't talk about team synergy. But with some work, it could have some potential. Keep working on it :)

Edit: Another thing, you said in the Tyranitar description that it's there to revenge kill infernape or Lucario. You will NEVER (or reaaaaaly rarely) be able to revenge kill either because:
1) Luke or Ape has bullet or mach punch respectively, and outspeeds you because of priority.
2) Tyranitar has already taken some damage

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)