RU RarelyUsed Classic V - Playoffs (won by Santu)

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Screen Shot 2021-07-08 at 11.45.39 AM.png

credit to bedupolker on Tumblr for this art!

Hello and welcome to the playoff stage of the RarelyUsed Classic! Twelve competitors have qualified based off of their performance in the SM, ORAS, and BW Cups, and now they will compete in all three tiers in a single-elimination playoffs. The top four seeds have earned byes in the first round; a list of seeds and visual copy of the bracket are included below. The final standings can be found here.

We initially stated that playoffs would be 8 people. However, 7 players received over 7 points and there was a 5-way tie for 8th place. Since doing a 5-way tiebreak seems nearly impossible to do in a timely or convenient fashion, we decided to expand the playoffs to 12 people.

Grand Slam methodology was followed for the process of determining seeds of players with equal point totals; this means that Win Ratio was used as the first way to break ties, followed by longest run; players tied in longest run (and 2nd/3rd longest run) had their seed decided via coinflip. Fant'sy Beast and Blimax were offered to play a tiebreak but elected to coinflip instead.

1. Lunala (26 Points)
2. Santu (18 Points)
3. Pohjis (12 Points, 83.33% WR)
4. Thiago Nunes (12 Points, 76.92% WR, longest run BW Finals)
5. Spl4sh (12 Points, 76.92% WR, longest run ORAS/BW Semifinals)
6. Mac3 (11 Points)
7. daniYSB (8 Points)
8. Nat (7 Points, 66.67% WR, longest run ORAS Semifinals; decided by coinflip)
9. zben (7 Points, 66.67% WR, longest run BW Semifinals; decided by coinflip)
10. Miyami~~~ (7 Points, 62.50% WR, longest run ORAS Finals)
11. Fant'sy Beast (7 Points, 62.50% WR, longest run SM Semifinals; decided by coinflip)
12. Blimax (7 Points, 62.50% WR, longest run SM Semifinals; decided by coinflip)

Screen Shot 2021-07-08 at 11.53.16 AM.png

The playoffs round will give points for the RU Circuit.
9th-12th: 37.5 points
5th-8th: 75 points
3rd-4th: 125 points
2nd: 187.5 points
1st: 250 points

=======================================

Playoffs are best-of-three, single elimination.
The higher seed (on the left; smaller number) will choose the generation (SM, ORAS, BW) that Game 1 will be played in.
The loser of Game 1 will choose from the remaining 2 generations for Game 2.
If Game 3 is necessary, it will be played in the one generation that has not yet been played in this series.
You cannot repeat generations within a series!

Round 2:

1. Lunala vs 8. Nat

SM / ORAS / BW

4. Thiago Nunes vs 5. Spl4sh
SM / ORAS / BW

2. Santu vs 7. daniYSB

3. Pohjis vs 6. Mac3

Round 1:

8. Nat
vs 9. zben

SM / ORAS / BW

5. Spl4sh vs 12. Blimax
------

7. daniYSB vs 10. Miyami~~~

SM / ORAS / BW

6. Mac3 vs 11. Fant'sy Beast
------
[/SPOILER="Round 1"]

The deadline will be next Sunday, July 18th at 11 PM GMT-4.
but if yall want to play sooner be my guest :heart:

REPLAYS MANDATORY!

Attachments

Last edited:

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Re: Spl4sh vs Blimax

Blimax gave Spl4sh the win with the reason that he got Covid-19 and can’t play. Wish him good health & a swift recovery! Dropping out in playoffs is not ideal, but sometimes unexpected events like this occur. Win (via forfeit) given to Spl4sh; he will move on to the next round.

Re: Mac3 vs Fant'sy Beast

Their wall conversation is viewable here. (Long description and explanation from me below, settle in.)

Fant’sy Beast was available in the beginning of the round on Sunday and Monday, two days which Mac3 said he could not do due to family/personal events. After the players found out Fant’sy’s initial availability (2 days at the start of the week) did not overlap with Mac3’s available time, Fant’sy said he would be gone until July 22nd, 4 days after the deadline.

The round is already quite long, taking 10-11 days rather than the usual 7. Thus, an extension — especially one that would add an extra 4 days rather than the usual 1 or 2 — is not being granted in order to keep the tour moving at a reasonable pace.

Upon consulting with RU staff, we agree that Fant’sy Beast had an obligation to make a greater effort to get the series done earlier in the week if he’d be unavailable for the last ~70% of the round. Saying he’s only available sunday and monday led me to believe he’d be free to play on the Sunday that is the last day of the round, and I wouldn’t be surprised if Mac interpreted it that way as well.

Even if he did inform Mac that he’d be fully unavailable after Monday, there is not a great chance we’d grant a 4 day extension. You need to be available for a significant portion of the round; if there’s any issue with that, the onus is on the player with lesser availability to get the game done during the window if possible or inform the hosts early on if it is not possible.

Finally, the fact that he was seen on Smogon today but did not respond to my message in his conversation with Mac3 does not lead me to believe he is still making an effort to get it done.

Thus, we are awarding an activity win to Mac3. Round 2 will be up shortly.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)