Gen 7 Rate / Improve my Team (My last competitive matches haves been in D/P)

Hi guys,

since Diamond and Perl I havent been playing competitive Pokemon online battles. A few days ago I just had the idea to go back to the roots and visit Pokemon Showdown and right now Smogon. In a nutshell: I want to win alot of battles on showdown but there is so much new stuff I have to read and learn (Especially about the new meta). Thats why I'm here, and I hope one of you guys can support me with my team. Lets go.

First of all: I dont know if my EV splits and attacks on each Pokemon are really good. I love Tyranitar and I would love to run a bulky offense team with Tyranitar. I also wanted to have a balanced team (Sadly 4 out of 6 Pokemon in this team have a 4x weakness, even it is balanced) and the possibility, that I'm able to switch into two or more Pokemon when one of my Pokemon faces a huge threat in the battle. What I currently dont like is the fact, that only Mega-Scizor has U-turn, and that there is not another pokemon in my team which has something like volt-switch.

:sm/tyranitar:
Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Tyranitar: The Wallbreaker.
[Edited]. I really want to run an adamant TTar with Dragon Dance and 252 EVs on attack. I'm not sure if the Item makes sense. Is there a better TTar set when it comes to the EV split and attacks?

:sm/azumarill:
Azumarill @ Normalium Z
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
- Belly Drum

Azumarill: The Sweeper.
Yesterday in the evening I had this idea: Why not support TTar with Azumarill? Tyranitar is extremely weak to fight attacks, Azumarill isnt. Also Azumarill can be really deadly, since it has the ability Huge Power. The combination of Normalium Z and Belly Drum looked pretty sick to me.

:sm/latios:
Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Defog
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Draco Meteor

Latios: The Hazard Controller.
To get some control of Hazard Setter I have been choosing Latios with Defog. To get more speed into my team I did choose a Latios with a Timid nature. While Tyranitar is pretty slow, Azumarill is only a big deal when using Aqua Jet.

:sm/tapu-bulu:
Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Taunt
- Horn Leech
- Swords Dance
- Megahorn

Tapu Bulu: The Stallbreaker.
When I remember the times in D/P I did hate Stall. Even if I won against stall teams, i hated to fight them. Tapu Bulu seems to me pretty good when it comes to the role as a Stallbreaker. While Horn Leech helps to get more life points back, Megahorn can cause alot of damage. Swords Dance could help me to cause more damage to stall pokemon. Taunt locks the stall pokemon in one move and thats why Tapu Bulu is important in my team.

:sm/heatran:
Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Flash Cannon

Heatran: The Hazard Setter.
To be honest, I dont know if this set is good. But at least one thing is sure to me: I want Heatran as a Hazard setter. Beside having him playing the role as a Hazard Setter, I also wanted him to be a Pokemon which can cause alot of damage. Thats why I did put Fire Blast and Flash Cannon (because of STAB) as movesets.

:sm/scizor-mega:
Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 4 Def / 252 Atk / 252 HP
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Swords Dance

Scizor-Mega: The Pivot.
Technician allows Scizor-Mega to cause more damage with bullet punch. Since Scizor-Mega is pretty slow, bullet punch gives him the abilty to cause some damage to the opponent first. U-turn is pretty important to me, because its a STAB and gives me the ability to change Scizor-Mega if I face a huge threat.

All in all: Currently I need some help when it comes to the EV spreads. I like bulky and strong pokemon. I'm also not sure which attacks could be better in my team. Hopefully one of you guys can help me here and get a good team.

Thanks for reading and your help,

ALoZ

Last edited:
Bear in mind that Sand Stream doesn't last the entire battle; by the time Ttar gets on the field, sets up some dragon dances and deals some damage, the sand will have passed. In addition, Heatran and Scizor are immune to sand, and Bulu's grassy surge will counteract the sandstorm damage, which means that as whole, most of your team doesn't really mind sandstorm. Overall, the special defense boost can prove invaluable when setting up, as opposed to the rather niche unnerve.

As far as the rest of the team goes, I'll leave it to someone more experienced.

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
Hey, I think that you should try to familiarise yourself with the meta a bit more before building teams for it. You can read the analyses on smogon or watch videos on Youtube. I did see potential here, however, so I decided to try and fix it up myself.

I decided to stick with the Bulu-Tran core + Scizor. I decided to change some sets, however. I went with Superpower and Synthesis over Megahorn and Taunt for Bulu so that Greninja + hazard stacking doesn't overwhelm us and we have a way to hit Ferrothorn hard. I changed the Heatran set to let us trap Toxapex for Scizor, and the Z move is just great to have for nuking things like Gliscor coming in on it. I also changed the Scizor set to Roost for longevity and fixed up the EV spread for these reasons (taken from Smogon analysis)
248 HP, 16 Defense EVs, and an Impish nature allows Mega Scizor to avoid getting 2HKOed by Sacred Sword from Choice Band Kartana after Stealth Rock damage. The rest of the EVs are put into Special Defense to more comfortable take on Magearna, Mega Alakazam, and Tapu Lele. Do note that Superpower variants should run 136 Speed EVs to outrun Modest Magnezone, though the lack of Special Defense investment will make it harder for Mega Scizor to check the aforementioned Pokemon. Scizor should immediately Mega Evolve, so forgoing Technician is completely fine because Light Metal has its situational use against Trace users like Mega Alakazam and the rare Low Kick Weavile and Greninja.
You can switch Superpower for U-Turn or Knock Off if you want. Try them out and see how it goes.

I added Rotom-Wash to help the Rain matchup by being a reliable check to Mega Swampert while also providing status support (if you want) along with a great typing. It also gives you a Heatran switch in. Pain Split can be used over Will-o-Wisp for extra longevity. Having a Defogger is always good to help against the hazard stacking threats in the metagame.

I went with Nidoking to be able to switch in to Tapu Koko and Magearna's Volt Switch while also being able to get up rocks. It could really be any Ground type with Stealth Rocks, but this having a viable Earth Power instead of Earthquake (which would be nerfed by Bulu's Grassy Terrain) seemed like a good fit. You can change it for something like Gliscor if you want more longevity and a secondary Landorus switch-in.

Finally, I went with a Choice Scarfed Kartana to abuse the Grassy Terrain and sweep in the late-game while also providing revenge-killing support. Knocking off Celesteela's Leftovers is really nice to wear it down for Scizor in the late-game.

Here's the team with my edits. I hope you enjoy. Remember that some choices are optional.

Thank you so much Diophantie! Currently I'm getting into all the new stuff in Pokemon. But with you Im now able to go for some awesome competitive battles :-) Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)