SS OU Rate My Sand Team

Introduction: Personally I like playing with a weather team but rain has fallen off and the only usable one in my opinion is sand team.

Team:

Hippowdon @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Slack Off

This ofc is the sand setter. Max HP and defence makes him a great answer to Koko as he pivots with U-turn and has electric moves (rarely uses dazzling gleam) . Toxic always him to chip away on landarus t and garchomp. It's basically the hippowdon you hate to see slacking off in your face.

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Ice Beam
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Crunch

Not only t-tar is a monster of a sp def Wall with assault vest but he can act as a second sand setter if hippowdon goes down. Having dark type he can eat future sides. You can deal great dmg to any poke you think will come out like

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

The sweeper. Deals great dmg with his stab moves and has the ability Sand Rush to double his speed, sadly it needs to 1 hit kill so when it can't do it physical mons I the next mon to deal with such pokemons.

Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Iron Defense
- Body Press

Corviknight, the 3th out of 4 walls in this team. It's made to deal with physical pokemon that outspeed excadrill or the ones who can't be one hit killed by him(having life orb excadrill needs as much health as possible). Although not having U-turn hurts the ability to bring out excadrill safely into play iron defence and body press are a must have in the team. Corviknight is the only answer to unburden hawlucha.

Slowking @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Teleport
- Slack Off
- Future Sight

The second special wall, allowing the team to tank hits with him and pivot safely into the sweepers using teleport. The reason behind 4 walls in the team is because it's lacking a revenge killer without sand up thus the 2 sand setters.

Dracozolt @ Life Orb
EVs: 108 Atk / 212 SpA / 188 Spe
Rash Nature
- Bolt Beak
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Draco Meteor

Bringing us to the last team member. Dracozolt is another sand abuser. Having 188 EV speed always him to out speed anything under 102 base speed(including 102 speed) while they have scarf and its under the sand. A example is garchomp with scarf max speed. The mix build makes him good with dealing massive dmg to rillaboom ferra.

Last edited:
I would definitely use jolly on excadrill, as well as leftovers (life orb is generally used for sweeper like him but with excadrill leftovers are much better for longevity)

I would definitely use jolly on excadrill, as well as leftovers (life orb is generally used for sweeper like him but with excadrill leftovers are much better for longevity)
Why would jolly be prefered, with 2 sand setters he will be rarely or almost never in the filled without sand and there are not many poke who can outspeed him with scarf(close to 0 in the meta atm if I am correct)

Why would jolly be prefered, with 2 sand setters he will be rarely or almost never in the filled without sand and there are not many poke who can outspeed him with scarf(close to 0 in the meta atm if I am correct)
Jolly let’s him outspeed +2 gyrados, scarf dragapult, and +2 volcarona. It’s up to you I guess but i feel like outspeeding +2 volcarona is pretty important (also everyone uses jolly)

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
This team is generally solid overall. It's even close to my own sand team. Here are some minor changes you might want to consider

Go with :leftovers: over :life orb: on :Excadrill:. This way, you won't be chipping yourself in the event you want to spin away rocks

Second is consider using :Skarmory: as your metal birb for one reason, spikes. Skarmory and Corviknight can pretty much do the same things but the og metal bird has spikes, which when combined with Excadrill's rapid spin, means that you won't have to concede them if you need to remove hazards on your side. However, if you prefer to stick with Corviknight as your team's hazard remover, then go with rock slide over rapid spin on Excadrill. Rapid spin is near wasted when you have life orb as your item

Abhi

Professional Zoomer
is an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hello there :afrostar:
Cool team you've got but I have some changes that can help you perform better in the current metagame.

:Hippowdon:->:tangrowth:
Tangrowth @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Focus Blast
- Sleep Powder
Two Sand setters is pretty unnecessary and I'd say Tyranitar is more important in the current meta with the abundance of Volcarona and Heatran, especially the former which has surged in usage with the introduction of Zamazenta-C. This also offers an additional check to Kartana and Rillaboom to ease your match up against grass spam cores and RillaZone teams.
:ss/tyranitar:
:assault-vest:->:leftovers:/:smooth-rock:/:heavy-duty-boots:
Tyranitar @ Leftovers / Heavy-Duty Boots / Smooth Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 216 SpD / 40 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Toxic
Assault Vest Tyranitar is bad in the current metagame, there's no sugarcoating. It serves no niche and takes away from Tyranitar's utility as a Stealth Rock setter/ Status spreader with either Toxic or Thunder Wave. It also takes away from possible passive recovery from Leftovers. This team also requires a Stealth Rock setter now, with Hippowdon removed. Rock Blast and Earthquake is the best move combination currently since it hits SubRoost Kyurem, as well as Volcarona and Heatran. The item choices are pretty wide too, you can go with Smooth Rock in this team since you do have two Sand abusers, or you could go with Heavy-Duty Boots to avoid hazard damage, or Leftovers which is what I prefer for some passive recovery.

The rest of my suggestions are minor, so ill be listing them instead;
  • I agree with the other two, use Leftovers over Life Orb, it provides very important longevity which allows it to occasionally switch into Tapu Lele and switch into Tapu Koko.
  • Use a Corviknight with 88SpD EVs to survive two Choice Specs boosted Psychics from Tapu Lele, I know you have Slowking but taking pressure off of Slowking with Corviknight occasionally can be useful.
  • Lastly, use a Dracozolt spread with 184 Spe and 176 SpA since this allows you to outspeed Choice Scarf Landorus-T and OHKO SubRoost Kyurem with Draco Meteor. Also outspeeding Scarf Garchomp is practically useless since its not a thing, and if theres a +1 Garchomp on the field a better switch in would be either Corviknight or Tangrowth.
Thats all I have to say, Have fun with the team and Bye!:blobwizard:
Tyranitar @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 216 SpD / 40 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Excadrill @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Defog
- Roost
- Iron Defense
- Body Press

Slowking @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Teleport
- Slack Off
- Future Sight

Dracozolt @ Life Orb
EVs: 148 Atk / 176 SpA / 184 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Bolt Beak
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Draco Meteor

Tangrowth @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Focus Blast
- Sleep Powder

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)