SM OU Rate my team please

Hi everyone, I'm new to pokemon showdown and this is my first competitive team that I made to play ou battles! I've been losing more battles than I've been winning though hence I wanted to get some help to see what could be possibly wrong with my team. :(

Gardevoir-Mega (F) @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Hyper Voice
- Focus Blast
- Disable

Gardevoir is my favorite mega so I decided I'd attempt to make a team around her. Psychic and hyper voice are her two strongest attacks, focus blast is for dealing super effective to steel type which otherwise take resisted damage from the two moves. I'm not sure what to run as her fourth move so I thought disable would be cool as I can stop certain pokemon with recovery from repeatedly recovering.

Tapu Lele @ Leftovers
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Calm Mind

I thought tapu lele would pair nicely with gardevoir as her ability psychic surge powers up gardevoir's psychic. The first three moves are the same as gardevoir for the same reasons. Calm mind lets her boost her special attack to hit harder. I chose leftovers as her item as I thought it'd give her more chances to set up calm minds as she would be able to remain on the field longer that way.

Victini @ Choice Band
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Zen Headbutt
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Giga Impact

I chose victini next as it seemed to pair well with the other two members. A choice band allows for powerful attacks. Zen headbutt is powered by psychic terrain and v create is very powerful. Bolt strike and giga impact were the next two most powerful moves hence I went with them.

Mew @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Synchronize
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Nasty Plot
- Focus Blast
- Fire Blast

Mew is nice as it can learn every move. Nasty plot allows me to boost special attack. Focus blast and fire blast are for hitting pokemon that resist psychic attacks.

Clefable (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Calm Mind
- Thunder Wave

I chose clefable as I liked her special ability magic guard which makes her immune to status. Calm mind allows her to setup boost and then thunder wave makes pokemon slower which helps my team as well let her setup more easily. I have invested fully in her physical defense as I can boost her special defense.

Diancie @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Heal Bell

I read that stealth rock was needed for every competitive pokemon team so diancie is my setter as I like her design and she has nice stats as well. Heal bell is nice to clear status from my team.

That's my team. Do you guys have any suggestions how to improve it? Thanks for taking the time to read and help. ^^

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
Hi everyone, I'm new to pokemon showdown and this is my first competitive team that I made to play ou battles! I've been losing more battles than I've been winning though hence I wanted to get some help to see what could be possibly wrong with my team. :(

Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Hyper Voice
- Focus Blast
- Disable

Gardevoir is my favorite mega so I decided I'd attempt to make a team around her. Psychic and hyper voice are her two strongest attacks, focus blast is for dealing super effective to steel type which otherwise take resisted damage from the two moves. I'm not sure what to run as her fourth move so I thought disable would be cool as I can stop certain pokemon with recovery from repeatedly recovering.

Tapu Lele @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Calm Mind

I thought tapu lele would pair nicely with gardevoir as her ability psychic surge powers up gardevoir's psychic. The first three moves are the same as gardevoir for the same reasons. Calm mind lets her boost her special attack to hit harder. I chose leftovers as her item as I thought it'd give her more chances to set up calm minds as she would be able to remain on the field longer that way.

Victini @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Zen Headbutt
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Giga Impact

I chose victini next as it seemed to pair well with the other two members. A choice band allows for powerful attacks. Zen headbutt is powered by psychic terrain and v create is very powerful. Bolt strike and giga impact were the next two most powerful moves hence I went with them.

Mew @ Fightinium Z
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Nasty Plot
- Focus Blast
- Fire Blast

Mew is nice as it can learn every move. Nasty plot allows me to boost special attack. Focus blast and fire blast are for hitting pokemon that resist psychic attacks.

Clefable (F) @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Calm Mind
- Thunder Wave

I chose clefable as I liked her special ability magic guard which makes her immune to status. Calm mind allows her to setup boost and then thunder wave makes pokemon slower which helps my team as well let her setup more easily. I have invested fully in her physical defense as I can boost her special defense.

Diancie @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Heal Bell

I read that stealth rock was needed for every competitive pokemon team so diancie is my setter as I like her design and she has nice stats as well. Heal bell is nice to clear status from my team.

That's my team. Do you guys have any suggestions how to improve it? Thanks for taking the time to read and help. ^^

Hey redangel898 Gardevoir is one of my all time favourite Pokemon, so I'm very happy to be helping you out with this team. There are quite a few things I would change, however.

Firstly, I would get rid of Disable on Gardevoir for Taunt. This would allow you to stop certain Pokemon from either getting up hazards or setting up. It can also stop Pokemon from Defogging, which is nice. I feel as though it would be more important than Disable because Disable is very situational. Some other fun things to consider are Destiny Bond as a deterrent to offensive Pokemon, Calm Mind to sweep and Magic Coat to bounce hazards and things like Thunder Waves back.
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Hyper Voice
- Focus Blast
- Taunt / Magic Coat / Destiny Bond

Next, I'd change the Tapu Lele set to this
Tapu Lele @ Twisted Spoon
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Calm Mind
HP Fire is preferred to Focus Blast so that we don't get swept by Mega Scizor, and Psyshock with the Twisted Spoon means that Chansey is not much of a problem for us anymore.

While I like the idea of Psychic spam under terrain, I think that dedicating 3 Pokemon to this is not ideal, as terrain only lasts for 5 turns and the opponent may have opposing terrains such as Grassy or Electric. Thus, I think that Victini does not earn its place here. I would replace it with Keldeo. It outspeeds Volcarona at +1 (with the Choice Scarf) and OHKOs with Stone Edge and helps us against Greninja which is a massive nuisance for this team as we have no water resist. It also pressures Tyranitar, which this team is weak to.
Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Stone Edge
- Scald
- Secret Sword

I don't think that Mew fits this team, as we already have Pokemon that do exactly what it does, but better. We are also weak to Tapu Koko, Hawlucha, and Pinsir. In response to this, I would replace Mew with Hippowdon.
Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 148 Def / 112 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Whirlwind

I like the idea of Clefable with Thunder Wave on this. It makes it easier for Gardevoir and Tapu Lele to win by outspeeding opponents while also being a check to Zygarde and an additional win condition. Gardevoir also works as a lure for Heatran to hit it with Focus Blast which would weaken it for Clef. However, I think that Knock Off is too good not to consider on this team. You can hit the Knock as they go into Magearna or Tangrowth to remove Assault Vests which makes Gardevoir's job so much easier.
Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Knock Off
- Calm Mind

Finally, I think that Celesteela is a great addition to the team as it patches up our weakness to Kartana and opposing Psychic spamming teams. Here is the set
Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 104 Def / 156 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower

I hope you like my suggestions. Here is the team after my changes
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Calm Mind

Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Hyper Voice
- Focus Blast
- Taunt

Hasty Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Stone Edge
- Scald
- Secret Sword

Clefable @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Knock Off
- Calm Mind

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Whirlwind

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask :)

Thank you very much, I'll try this team out. I realise however I have no z move user now, is there a way to fit it in somewhere? Also, someone I battled against suggested I run cosmic power together with calm mind, along with moonblast and soft boiled? Would that work as well?

Thank you very much, I'll try this team out. I realise however I have no z move user now, is there a way to fit it in somewhere? Also, someone I battled against suggested I run cosmic power together with calm mind, along with moonblast and soft boiled? Would that work as well?
Psychium Z Tapu Lele comes to mind if you want to rip holes in the opposing team.
The set looks like this

Tapu Lele @ Psychium Z
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Calm Mind

You can use this to punch holes through your resists, while Psyshock defeats Chansey, and is a very solid set.

As for Cosmic Power, it can work, but Knock Off's utility in making it easier for Tapu Lele and Gardevoir to break walls is probably better, and Clefable doesn't have Stored Power, so I would recommend just keeping Knock Off, though you can toy with Cosmic Power to see which one you like better

Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Hyper Voice
- Focus Blast
- Disable

Tapu Lele @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Calm Mind

Victini @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Zen Headbutt
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Giga Impact

Mew @ Fightinium Z
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Nasty Plot
- Focus Blast
- Fire Blast

Clefable (F) @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Calm Mind
- Thunder Wave

Diancie @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Heal Bell

As of right now, your team is simply not viable and has many sets that do not perform at all in the current metagame. You also need to reduce your Mega count to 1. I would suggest centering on 1 mon you want to run in OU, and then supporting that mon. If you were to pick 1 out of that team, which would you run?

Yep, I had a feeling my team was not viable that's why I decided I'd try to get help. I only have 1 mega though :o
My bad, I saw Diancie and thought it to be mega. I would honestly build around either Tapu Lele or Victini. Lele is one the best breakers in the tier, and Victini has a good niche as a breaker and an ability to check mons like opposing Lele and Magearna, and soft-checks Mega Medicham from full. Mega Gardevoir is simply too weak for its prize, and entirely outclassed by Lele. Mew has a hard time in the meta, only being run to check Mega Medicham and unboosted Zygarde. Diancie is unviable in OU, and its Mega, while better than Gardevoir, has a hard time staying alive for long due to it losing to most Rock setters and having little to no defensive value. Clefable is actually a top tier mon, but you rarely build around it, and rather use it to support mons you are building around. Use that same set, but change T-wave to Stealth Rocks.

The set for Choice Band Victini is as follows:

V (Victini) @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn
- Trick/Brick Break/Final Gambit

Last edited:
Hey redangel898 Gardevoir is one of my all time favourite Pokemon, so I'm very happy to be helping you out with this team. There are quite a few things I would change, however.

Firstly, I would get rid of Disable on Gardevoir for Taunt. This would allow you to stop certain Pokemon from either getting up hazards or setting up. It can also stop Pokemon from Defogging, which is nice. I feel as though it would be more important than Disable because Disable is very situational. Some other fun things to consider are Destiny Bond as a deterrent to offensive Pokemon, Calm Mind to sweep and Magic Coat to bounce hazards and things like Thunder Waves back.
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Hyper Voice
- Focus Blast
- Taunt / Magic Coat / Destiny Bond

Next, I'd change the Tapu Lele set to this
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Calm Mind
HP Fire is preferred to Focus Blast so that we don't get swept by Mega Scizor, and Psyshock with the Twisted Spoon means that Chansey is not much of a problem for us anymore.

While I like the idea of Psychic spam under terrain, I think that dedicating 3 Pokemon to this is not ideal, as terrain only lasts for 5 turns and the opponent may have opposing terrains such as Grassy or Electric. Thus, I think that Victini does not earn its place here. I would replace it with Keldeo. It outspeeds Volcarona at +1 (with the Choice Scarf) and OHKOs with Stone Edge and helps us against Greninja which is a massive nuisance for this team as we have no water resist. It also pressures Tyranitar, which this team is weak to.
Hasty Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Stone Edge
- Scald
- Secret Sword

I don't think that Mew fits this team, as we already have Pokemon that do exactly what it does, but better. We are also weak to Tapu Koko, Hawlucha, and Pinsir. In response to this, I would replace Mew with Hippowdon.
Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Whirlwind

I like the idea of Clefable with Thunder Wave on this. It makes it easier for Gardevoir and Tapu Lele to win by outspeeding opponents while also being a check to Zygarde and an additional win condition. Gardevoir also works as a lure for Heatran to hit it with Focus Blast which would weaken it for Clef. However, I think that Knock Off is too good not to consider on this team. You can hit the Knock as they go into Magearna or Tangrowth to remove Assault Vests which makes Gardevoir's job so much easier.
Clefable @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Knock Off
- Calm Mind

Finally, I think that Celesteela is a great addition to the team as it patches up our weakness to Kartana and opposing Psychic spamming teams. Here is the set
Celesteela @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower

I hope you like my suggestions. Here is the team after my changes
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Calm Mind

Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Hyper Voice
- Focus Blast
- Taunt

Hasty Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Stone Edge
- Scald
- Secret Sword

Clefable @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Knock Off
- Calm Mind

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Whirlwind

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask :)
Hello! ^^ I went to play for a bit with the team sorry I have not replied as I have been busy irl. I got some replays which I won, which is pretty cool but I still keep losing games for the most part which is so lame hahaha. I suck lol. Anyways, here is some of the games I get & I win...

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-737368267
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-737369184
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-737370658
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-737371175
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-737374897

This replays are to show you I have been trying the team out but I don't think they are that important. Only this 1 is something that I would like to raise concern to.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-737369184 I realise that I have no way of removing spikes which seem to be a problem, do you know how I can fix this?

Thank you so much for ur time and patience with me for this. ^^

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
Hello! ^^ I went to play for a bit with the team sorry I have not replied as I have been busy irl. I got some replays which I won, which is pretty cool but I still keep losing games for the most part which is so lame hahaha. I suck lol. Anyways, here is some of the games I get & I win...

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-737368267
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-737369184
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-737370658
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-737371175
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-737374897

This replays are to show you I have been trying the team out but I don't think they are that important. Only this 1 is something that I would like to raise concern to.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-737369184 I realise that I have no way of removing spikes which seem to be a problem, do you know how I can fix this?

Thank you so much for ur time and patience with me for this. ^^
When Spikes go up, you should have Clef being your win condition in mind. You could consider Flamethrower over Knock Off on Clef for this. You should also pressure your opponent as much as possible - when you knocked off the leftovers from the Rotom you should have Moonblasted to take it down some more. It covered the Pinsir play that he made too, as that would have put him in range of 1 Flamethrower from Celesteela.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)