Non-Pokébank OU Rate my team

I'll start off by confessing that I haven't played Pokemon since the days of Blue and Red when I was 10 years old. Pokemon Go got me back into the game and then I took the plunge and got a 3DS and Pokemon Sun.

Given I've nothing in the bank, this squad is purely based on what is available in Pokemon Sun and my experience with the Pokemon I've come across in the game. I've played around with a few teams people have suggested on here to understand the metagame and tried this team on Showdown.

So... here goes...

Mimikyu @ Wide Lens
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Play Rough
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance

I lead with Mimikyu and start with Swords Dance. Generally I've watched others throw in a few hazards (double spikes and even poison spikes on top of that) and I keep doing swords dance until they remove the disguise (unless I can see their speed is higher). He then starts to sweep away the opposition. I've become quite attached to him as he's been cleaning up on the Battle Tree - but I'm welcome to hear suggestions if he just doesn't cut it in 6v6.

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Magnezone is useful to cover a few more types, namely Electric and Steel. The Hidden Power is useful for when the inevitable switch of water out and grass in occurs. Steel also covers one of Mimikyu's biggest weaknesses.

Greninja-Ash @ Life Orb
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Water Shuriken
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam

Ash-Greninja covers a similar role to Mimikyu, however I prefer not to start with him. A switch in when Mimikyu gets brought down and the opposition has low health. A revenge kill brings out Battle Bond and he's a strong hitter with three STAB moves.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 16 SpD / 52 Spe
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Scald
- Defog
- Nature's Madness

Tapu Fini is one of my two defensive walls. Nature's Madness is great for reducing the health of high HP opponents. Misty Surge stops any status affecting moves for a few turns and two STAB moves means she's a decent hitter too. Defog can also remove any entry hazards if necessary (and I currently have no Pokemon to set any up for me)

Salamence @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Double-Edge
- Dragon Dance

In all truth, I'm still experimenting with this guy. With no explicit Fire guy on my team, his strength against Bug and Grass is very useful. He has a few resists and immunes and can usually take a hit or two before launching a few strong attacks. My main concern is I'm not sure if Garchomp would be a better addition, or whether this is one too many offensive sweepers in my team.

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 76 SpA
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic
- Haze

Toxapex is great for slowing the battle down and is a great tank. I generally use him to fire off a Toxic and then keep recovering as the opposition gets weaker and weaker. Scald is good for adding a possible burn effect and haze can reset any buffs currently in play. Again, two walls in this team may be excessive.

Further thoughts: The OU + bank teams I've played with generally start off by laying down a few entry hazards. I'm tempted to take something out of here and add an entry hazard creator in instead.

Happy to hear the thoughts of the experienced!

I've continued to test and play around and have replaced Ash-Greninja with Alolan-Marowok. I found I did not have a great enough spread of types, in particular nothing of the fire type (despite Magnezone having a fire skill). As such, I took out one of the offensive sweepers and put in another wall. He's very useful for coming up against Normal types (especially if Mimikyu has fainted by this point).

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 248 HP / 72 Atk / 12 Def / 176 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

My biggest weakness now is mainly to ground type moves. I've only got Salamence who is immune and three that are weak to ground. Currently trying to find a solution to this!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)