SM PU Rate my team

Going for a team I could have used in my favourite Gen, that being Gen 4. I'm sure its awful so let me know how to improve it, preferably but not necessarily replacing Pokemon.

Epona (Rapidash) @ Choice Band
Ability: Flame Body
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Poison Jab
- Flare Blitz
- Body Slam

My team itself is rather slow (unsurprising considering how many slow Pokemon Sinnoh had) so Rapidash is in to allow me to burst someone down, hence the Choice Band. Flare Blitz is probably the best STAB move I could have, Body Slam gives a good all round move, and Poison Jab and Megahorn round it out with some decent Coverage, and Megahorn is a decent power move if the enemy Resists Fire.

Dinosour (Rampardos) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Zen Headbutt
- Hammer Arm
- Thunder Punch
- Stone Edge

Rampardos is a Bulky powerhouse, with all his moves built around Sheer Force. Zen is a great counter to anything annoying the rest of the team, Hammer Arm is just a powerful move by itself and can be good against other Rock types if Octilery isn't avaliable, Thunder Punch is a good coverage if I *have* to have him in against Water, and Stone Edge is just a given.

Hygienic (Skuntank) @ Figy Berry
Ability: Stench
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpA
Naughty Nature
- Crunch
- Shadow Claw
- Belch
- Poison Jab

Skuntank is another bulky powerhouse, as well as just being one of my favourite Pokemon (I also like Garbardor suprisingly). Crunch is good STAB, Shadow Claw is good coverage and the extra crit can be nice, Belch is just a move to surprise with in an attempt to make a comeback, and Poison Jab is good STAB as well.

Octillery @ Scope Lens
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Signal Beam
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Energy

Octillery isn't really Bulky, but he's to slow to invest the points into Speed. Still besides that, he's all about critting, although unfortunately doesn't have any good moves with +Crit Chance that are also Special. Scald is a good STAB, the burn can be nice if against physical attackers, Signal Beam is good coverage and the Confuse is nice, Sludge Wave is good damage against water resistant Pokes, and Focus is to set up for a potential sweep.

Stand In (Noctowl) @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Extrasensory
- Hyper Voice
- Hurricane
- Rain Dance

Noctowl is a stand in as the nickname implies, since I was gonna use Staraptor. As such the build is kinda eh, but I like it. Rain Dance to boost Hurricane's accuracy, Hurricane for some excellent STAB, Hyper Voice for other STAB and to pass Substitutes, Extrasensory for coverage.

Snow White (Abomasnow) @ Leftovers
Ability: Snow Warning
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Blizzard
- Energy Ball
- Shadow Ball
- Synthesis

Abomasnow is a bit of a surprise pick for me, but since Torterra is NU it doesn't fit. As such I have Snow Warning for increased Blizzard Accuracy, and it hits like a truck. Energy Ball for more STAB, Shadow Ball for coverage, Synthesis for extra recovery.

Last edited:

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
Welcome to Smogon! I'm locking your RMT for the time being as the forum rules require that you provide in-depth descriptions for each Pokemon to explain their roles. Please read the rules carefully and take a look at Team Showcase to see the level of detail we require. PM me with updated descriptions and I'll be happy to unlock this.

Edit: Unlocked

Last edited:

ShuckleDeath

They call me the kign of typos
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hello, flashstriker,

I like how you are trying to use a team based around your favorite region. I have to say from a competitive standpoint ingame teams(teams you raise and use through a playthrough on the cartridge) typically are very subpar in terms of consistency and play options. I am not trying to sound mean, but they are also major problems with these movesets and your overall ideology, such as Octillery being too slow to invest speed into which is not a correct way to look at speed tiers as it can run 44 speed EVs to outpace neutral 0 EV speed base 50's which PU has a lot of defensive threats at that benchmark, Pokemon like Audino, Eelektross, and Regirock. With 120 speed EVs it can outpace neutral 0 EV speed base 60's like Jellicent. All of your team members should be running some or full speed investment, but I will go more into that during the in-depth team rate.

I would suggest looking through the Smogon Competitive Pokedex here, this will help you with future teams.

I can help you get this team much much better and I will try and keep your theme of the Sinnoh region intact, which may lead to a team being worse then it could be but for your intent of just winning some games and learning how to play at a bit more competitive level I can get it there but I will have to change several Pokemon.

Rapidash @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- High Horsepower
- Megahorn

Choice Scarf Rapidash is not a common set at all, but it can be pretty anti-meta and can be used as your win condition(how you finish out a game with you winning). I did not make this Scarf for those reasons though I made it scarf so you have a way to deal with Alolan Sandslash in Hail(it's ability doubles it's speed in Hail), it also helps you deal with Lilligant(it commonly uses Quiver Dance, a move that raises its special attack, special defense, and speed by one stage, the Choice Scarf on Rapidash will allow you to outpace it when it is at +1 speed and one hit ko it with Flare Blitz). It also gives you a fire immunity which is a plus as Simisear is seeing a lot more use. Also, I will mention your coverage was really off, it looks like you just picked random moves. When deciding coverage you need to identify what types your STAB(s) is resisted by(Rapidash is Fire-type so you are wanting to hit Water-types, Rock-types, Dragon-types, which Rapidash struggles to hit, and other Fire-types) If at all possible you want to hit for super effective damage. It looks like you were going for this on some of your Pokemon but the coverage you picked on a lot of them was mediocre. This is where the strategy Pokedex would have helped you. I went over that here so I won't go over it unless a new point arises just try to keep this in mind when building, it gets easier the more you practice.

--->

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

I am sorry I have to suggest changing Rampardos here but your team really needed a fighting check so Pokemon like Gurdurr, Hitmonchan, and Primeape do not just steamroll your entire team. You also needed Stealth Rock which is a support move I highly suggest you prioritize on your future team attempts as the free chip damage and ability to break Focus Sashes is really crucial to an overall team consistency. I chose to replace Rampardos because it was the only member on your team who could learn Stealth Rock, it also was just another slow wallbreaker that your team has plenty of.

Skuntank @ Lum Berry
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Poison Jab

First, I should tell you about mixed wallbreakers, which you will have at the end of your team. Mixed wallbreakers are offensively based Pokemon trying to use coverage from both of there offensive stats. They either need above average offensive stats(Abomasnow and Carracosta) or a really good coverage move coming off there weaker stat(Life Orb Rampardos with Sheer Force can use Fire Blast to hit Tangela harder). Skuntank reallu cannot accomplish this unless you run something like Fire Blast on the physical set to hit Alolan Sandslash, which you were not doing.

This Skuntank helps you with Psychic-types and Ghost-types a bit better. It also gives you hazard control which your team needed as it using 2 Stealth Rock weak Pokemon. Sucker Punch is nice as your final team here is looking pretty offensive with a glue Pokemon(something to help blanket check a lot of weaknesses) and a pivot(the Mespit) so I think in order to be successful with this team you have to keep up your offensive momentum as much as you can. I think you need to go Lum Berry here just to have some kind of switch into Lilligant.

--->

Floatzel @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Water Veil
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Waterfall
- Low Kick
- Aqua Jet

Octillery does have really good coverage but in this metagame it will just be pivoted on outpaced and killed. Floatzel is a fine Gen 4 Pokemon that makes a nice win con for your team already has support with Skuntank(Pursuit Traps Jellicent and Switches in and Pursuit traps most Roselia) IT hits a very nice speed tier as well so can be used alongside Choice Scarf Rapidash to really put the pressure on offensive teams.

--->

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 248 HP / 232 Def / 28 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Recover

Gastrodon over Noctowl here will give you a switch into Aggron as well as Choice Specs Jellicent. It gives you a soft check to things like non-Power-Up punch Kangaskan and Stoutland. This team is incredibly weak to Normal-types and Flying-types and there was not much I could do with your theme here I honestly would suggest adding something like Metang or Chople Regirock here and changing the set on Mesprit or changing it to an Oricorio-Pom-Pom but I will just link you to those alternatives as I think they go against your theme a bit. Alternative sets

Abomasnow @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
- Ice Shard

The moveset here allows you to check stuff like Dodrio a bit with Ice Shard. 29 HP IVs gives you an HP number ending in 9 which minimizes Life Orb recoil. Giga Drain over Energy Ball is used to help negate some of that HP loss from Life Orb and hazards Focus Blast is good here because it hits Alolan Sandslash for big damage as well as hitting Aggron better than Earthquake.

True to theme changes.

Suggested Changes.

Hello, flashstriker,

I like how you are trying to use a team based around your favorite region. I have to say from a competitive standpoint ingame teams(teams you raise and use through a playthrough on the cartridge) typically are very subpar in terms of consistency and play options. I am not trying to sound mean, but they are also major problems with these movesets and your overall ideology, such as Octillery being too slow to invest speed into which is not a correct way to look at speed tiers as it can run 44 speed EVs to outpace neutral 0 EV speed base 50's which PU has a lot of defensive threats at that benchmark, Pokemon like Audino, Eelektross, and Regirock. With 120 speed EVs it can outpace neutral 0 EV speed base 60's like Jellicent. All of your team members should be running some or full speed investment, but I will go more into that during the in-depth team rate.

I would suggest looking through the Smogon Competitive Pokedex here, this will help you with future teams.

I can help you get this team much much better and I will try and keep your theme of the Sinnoh region intact, which may lead to a team being worse then it could be but for your intent of just winning some games and learning how to play at a bit more competitive level I can get it there but I will have to change several Pokemon.

Rapidash @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- High Horsepower
- Megahorn

Choice Scarf Rapidash is not a common set at all, but it can be pretty anti-meta and can be used as your win condition(how you finish out a game with you winning). I did not make this Scarf for those reasons though I made it scarf so you have a way to deal with Alolan Sandslash in Hail(it's ability doubles it's speed in Hail), it also helps you deal with Lilligant(it commonly uses Quiver Dance, a move that raises its special attack, special defense, and speed by one stage, the Choice Scarf on Rapidash will allow you to outpace it when it is at +1 speed and one hit ko it with Flare Blitz). It also gives you a fire immunity which is a plus as Simisear is seeing a lot more use. Also, I will mention your coverage was really off, it looks like you just picked random moves. When deciding coverage you need to identify what types your STAB(s) is resisted by(Rapidash is Fire-type so you are wanting to hit Water-types, Rock-types, Dragon-types, which Rapidash struggles to hit, and other Fire-types) If at all possible you want to hit for super effective damage. It looks like you were going for this on some of your Pokemon but the coverage you picked on a lot of them was mediocre. This is where the strategy Pokedex would have helped you. I went over that here so I won't go over it unless a new point arises just try to keep this in mind when building, it gets easier the more you practice.

--->

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

I am sorry I have to suggest changing Rampardos here but your team really needed a fighting check so Pokemon like Gurdurr, Hitmonchan, and Primeape do not just steamroll your entire team. You also needed Stealth Rock which is a support move I highly suggest you prioritize on your future team attempts as the free chip damage and ability to break Focus Sashes is really crucial to an overall team consistency. I chose to replace Rampardos because it was the only member on your team who could learn Stealth Rock, it also was just another slow wallbreaker that your team has plenty of.

Skuntank @ Lum Berry
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Poison Jab

First, I should tell you about mixed wallbreakers, which you will have at the end of your team. Mixed wallbreakers are offensively based Pokemon trying to use coverage from both of there offensive stats. They either need above average offensive stats(Abomasnow and Carracosta) or a really good coverage move coming off there weaker stat(Life Orb Rampardos with Sheer Force can use Fire Blast to hit Tangela harder). Skuntank reallu cannot accomplish this unless you run something like Fire Blast on the physical set to hit Alolan Sandslash, which you were not doing.

This Skuntank helps you with Psychic-types and Ghost-types a bit better. It also gives you hazard control which your team needed as it using 2 Stealth Rock weak Pokemon. Sucker Punch is nice as your final team here is looking pretty offensive with a glue Pokemon(something to help blanket check a lot of weaknesses) and a pivot(the Mespit) so I think in order to be successful with this team you have to keep up your offensive momentum as much as you can. I think you need to go Lum Berry here just to have some kind of switch into Lilligant.

--->

Floatzel @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Water Veil
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Waterfall
- Low Kick
- Aqua Jet

Octillery does have really good coverage but in this metagame it will just be pivoted on outpaced and killed. Floatzel is a fine Gen 4 Pokemon that makes a nice win con for your team already has support with Skuntank(Pursuit Traps Jellicent and Switches in and Pursuit traps most Roselia) IT hits a very nice speed tier as well so can be used alongside Choice Scarf Rapidash to really put the pressure on offensive teams.

--->

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 248 HP / 232 Def / 28 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Recover

Gastrodon over Noctowl here will give you a switch into Aggron as well as Choice Specs Jellicent. It gives you a soft check to things like non-Power-Up punch Kangaskan and Stoutland. This team is incredibly weak to Normal-types and Flying-types and there was not much I could do with your theme here I honestly would suggest adding something like Metang or Chople Regirock here and changing the set on Mesprit or changing it to an Oricorio-Pom-Pom but I will just link you to those alternatives as I think they go against your theme a bit. Alternative sets

Abomasnow @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
- Ice Shard

The moveset here allows you to check stuff like Dodrio a bit with Ice Shard. 29 HP IVs gives you an HP number ending in 9 which minimizes Life Orb recoil. Giga Drain over Energy Ball is used to help negate some of that HP loss from Life Orb and hazards Focus Blast is good here because it hits Alolan Sandslash for big damage as well as hitting Aggron better than Earthquake.

True to theme changes.

Suggested Changes.
I gotta say, this rate is phenominal. Good job dude!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)