Pet Mod RBY CAP (CAP 3 - Competitive Learnset)

DuoM2

whao
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Well guys, today's the day!

RBY CAP 2 - Concept
We're back! Things will work a bit differently this time around and the OP will be updated soon to account for that. This slate will be identical to the first RBY CAP's, though - you're free to submit a concept now! You have until around this time of day Friday.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
Let's Dance!: A CAP that makes use of a boosting move, particularly Swords Dance, successfully. I'm going with Swords Dance in this concept phase because people would gravitate towards it anyway, this isn't an uncommon grievance people have had with RBY's Dex. So, this is integral to the concept because of that.

In RBY, the successful Swords Dance users have always been low-tier. Kingler, Pinsir, Sandslash, Venusaur, Victreebel, etc...they never work. We've recently had Charizard ravage NU with it, but this is literally the only time one has been a tier despot. I think it would be nice to try and make one work in OU.

So the question to look at is, well, why hasn't it worked? Part of it is the Pokemon being flat-out bad stat-wise, or simply lacking coverage or good typings. I think when making this Pokemon, people would want to look towards Slowbro as the ideal set-up sweeper.

You could make arguments for Growth, etc, but I don't think they would be as interesting.

these are a few things that have come up in discord discussions that seem interesting to me, most were not originally my ideas to be clear (idr everyone who came up with each of them sry) ~

attacking lead
this is something that rly doesnt exist in rby ou [theoretically there is dodrio but the drio vs jynx lead mu isnt exactly very good anyway with hyper beam prediction and otherwise being ohkoed by blizz], and the option of a genuinely viable lead that is favorable vs jynx specifically could make a more interesting lead meta.
there are a number of different ‘kinds’ of options that have come up at various points that could fit this:

~ fast stab rock slide user: u need a significantly high attack stat for this to ohko jynx, but that is probably fine bc rock is not a good stab type in general in rby. concept wasnt discussed in depth, eg any potential secondary typing or the rest of its movepool (and stats besides faster than jynx and high attack).
if anything, i think we’d likely need to make sure the mon is good enough to be viable, rather than any concern that it could be too good, since rock is j not a good attacking type in rby. ofc it also would be a hyper beam resist

~ ‘watertrio’ this was discussed someone in depth, basically based off of dugtrio but making it a mixed attacker. secondary typings discussed were electric, grass, water, and maybe fire. ice/ground was also mentioned once but imo could very easily be broken, tho perhaps less so now with cap1 resisting eq and being fat and neutral to eq. anyway this is less anti-jynx (except the fire/ground version) and more a physical lead idea generally, but jynx will still take a lot from a fast stab earthquake. electric or grass would let it threaten starmie, electric would ‘likely’ have to not get thunder wave tho as a ground type lead with thunder wave might be too good. note even a quite frail electric/ground still checks zapdos, while grass/ground resists rhydon’s dual stab (ofc also is 4x ice weak), so those are things to consider with those typings.
water/ground was the one i thought is most interesting, this makes u neutral to ice which likely means not being ohkoed by jynx (making it maybe risky for jynx to stay in w crit ko chance + lk miss chance), and not being weak to blizz starmie, but with water rather than ice stab meaning u can be checked by exeggutor (and now also cap1) and in general not having the power of blizzard.
depending on stats, there was discussion of giving it only bubblebeam (no surf) as its best water stab, primarily to make sure it is not able to threaten reflect lax very well.
note that water/ground also might be an option for what amaranth suggested @ limber, a thunder wave immune pokémon that is not weak to chansey’s ice beam / starmie’s blizzard, so the typing could go that route instead rather than being a faster than jynx attacking lead.

~ stab headbutt/stomp lead. maybe sort of like stomp tauros in ubers, tho my actual idea was based on a ‘what if rby had linoone’ convo. even with a middling attack stat like linoone/persian, stab headbutt into stab slash would ohko jynx. with flinch chance + lk miss chance this is not rly a good situation for jynx. in the original convo @ linoone, thunder wave was discussed, if the mon has bad stats like linoone/persian then it probably needs something like thunder wave, ‘or some other interesting option’, to be good enough in the tier generally. physical attacker with twave is also interesting generally (‘like clefable’, but actually viable), doesnt necessarily have to be a lead and it would fit the ‘break the mold’ idea discussed at the beginning of cap1 as unless u count zapdos there are no twave physical attackers in rby ou. not giving it slash and giving it better attack or maybe other stats instead could be a different way to go, but ofc u prob dont want to make like a tauros-lite lol, and idk headbutt + slash seems cool and to make sense to me lol idk why.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

another thing discussed regarding twave immunities that could actually block some of the twave users could be a ground/psychic type. mostly geared toward blocking alakazam’s thunder wave. this would also fit break the mold as a psychic type that does something different.
i think this could become broken very easily, stab psychic means that it will never have much difficulty breaking reflect lax, so it would probably be a mon that u j have to attack whenever u can as other than exeggutor and starmie, and maybe cap1, defensive responses to it are likely to be lacking. ud prob want to give it just enough power so that chansey/alakazam or snorlax recovering/resting against it wouldnt go well, but so that things like tauros still have a good mu 1v1. note it will likely soft check zapdos almost no matter what u do with its stats, special drops will always bother a +2 zapdos but esppp if zap was paralyzed.

Last edited:

BT89

go on, take everything
is a Pre-Contributor
Infested! - This one is fairly simple. The idea is to make a viable Bug-type with Bug STAB. Currently, there is one viable Bug-type in Pinsir, whose movepool consists solely of Normal- and Fighting-type attacks.

The Bug-type is a somewhat weird case as a whole in RBY, where it isn’t awful, but there is simply no very good Pokemon with the type, and the only viable Pokemon with a usable Bug-type move is Jolteon with Pin Missile. The goal of this is basically to make the ideal Bug-type.

I think that Pinsir is a good benchmark to stem off from, mainly due to its great Attack, decent Speed, and high Defense. Ideally, we give it a Bug-STAB, and adjust stats as needed.

resubbing because conversion is cool as heck

Nice Typing You Got There...

Viable conversion user! Not much to say here other than that Conversion is an awesome move that has a ton of potential in RBY, and deserves to see use in OU.

Tales of the Scales

A viable dragon type in RBY ou that actually makes use of the type's resists for example being able to pivot in on water and electric stab while having enough special bulk and no 4x ice weakness to only be three hit by starmies blizzard and other similar ice type moves, functioning as an offensive buffer of sorts. I find this one interesting because the dragon type has no stab in rby but also only one weakness, so I feel that balancing it to be viable in rby will be hard due to the types unique traits.

add a physical ghost type that could use lick as its main move. theres alot of things you can do with a ghost type that uses its tongue attack
could also make the ghost type viable in ou cus i think its a cool typing.

gastlies

running up that hill
is a Pre-Contributor
Physical Sleeper: A physical attacker that knows a sleep move. All the main sleepers in RBY (Exeggutor, Jynx, Chansey, Gengar) are all special attackers, so it would be cool to see a physical attacker that can put foes to sleep. We've seen this in tradebacks with Persian, so it would be cool to also see it in CAP.

Eve

taking a break
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Community Leader
I'd like to resubmit pac's Status Stripper for this CAP. If we're looking to add depth to the metagame and explore new strategies, a move that both allows for status manipulation and phazing where neither has been possible before is a great choice.

Haze is a surprisingly powerful move in RBY with a lot to explore- not only does it cure the opponent's status conditions, it also removes all their boosts and even Reflect, which is useful for physical and special attackers alike as it allows them to more easily bypass Reflect or (the admittedly rare) Amnesia. Unfortunately, it's limited to bad Pokemon. The only one that's close to decent, Vaporeon, doesn't have much incentive to run the move in UU, especially as it can't replace the removed status with one of its own without Blizzard RNG. As pac said, having the ability to remove paralysis from an undesirable target (Chansey) would bring some viability back to the classic paralysis leads, increasing lead diversity. I think balancing a Pokemon around the unique strengths Haze offers would be a fun and rewarding process.

Last edited:

DuoM2

whao
I meant to do this yesterday but 24h warning for subs!

BT89 kllkj089h yumoooooooo - The last of these also seems like it was submitted for flavor rather than a competitive purpose, which is another issue, but there was a lot of concern in Slate 1 over Discord about making submissions based around a type rather than a concept. I can't remember the exact reasoning so someone else is free to elaborate or correctly, but I believe it was because all it basically does is knock our slates out of order and doesn't really fit what we're supposed to be aiming for here. It's difficult to explain, but to try my best, we need to have a goal while making CAP2 beyond "make x Pokemon good," which is basically all we'd be doing if we were to follow this concept. I'll likely be vetoing these for that reason.

To throw another concept that was talked about earlier into the ring -

Matchup Mixup: To sum it up, this Pokemon would have a typing that typically would lead to a negative matchup against certain OU threats, but instead would have a significantly better matchup against those, or vice versa. The first example I can think of that we discussed is Psychic/Fighting, which loses out on the Psychic resist that Psychics normally have, but gives it a way to immediately scare out Chansey. Another example could be a Rock-type that loses to Electrics, but can handle opposing Waters very well. I'm still not the most seasoned RBY player so lmk if you have any issues with this.

fwiw personally id prefer them not to be vetoed (except maybe the ghost type with lick as it wasnt really a substantive submission.)

i think the idea behind each of the two submissions is pretty clear. for the bug type, the idea is to give a physical stab that specifically threatens zam and eggy, but is presumably going to lack power to bother eg chansey. there is still the potential secondary typing which can go different ways, in this case prob to make sure that the mon is good enough to be relevant. eg bug/psychic sounds interesting to me as it could maybe hard switch into zam and eggy as well.

similarly with the dragon type submission, this is very much along the lines of ‘making a viable mon with a bad typing’ which i think was a submission the first round of cap. dragon is one of the worst typings in rby ou, now maybe people think it wouldve been better to keep it more general with ‘making a bad typing viable’, personally i dont mind narrowing it down to start, and then u also dont have to have a debate about which are the ‘worst typings’ that would be permissible choices for the ‘bad typing viable’ cap.
again, there is flexibility around what the secondary typing would be, and every submission is inherently type-limited to some degree. talking about a viable conversion user for example, the mon needs to have a reason to want to use conversion which means some typings are pretty much ‘off limits’.

i cant speak to the subjectivity of the people who submitted these, what their thoughts and feelings are etc, so ig ‘it is possible’ that someone j likes a certain type and wants to have a cap of that type and didnt think it through beyond that, however thats not how i interpreted these submissions. the dragon type submission explicitly discusses the type’s situation in rby ou (tho is more ‘neutral description’ rather than j directly saying its a terrible type in the tier lol), and while the bug submission doesnt i think thats because we all know what makes bug an ‘interesting’ attacking type in rby, its SE coverage but being ridiculously weak on any neutral hit. i think both submissions give clear ‘starting points’ for developing the cap, and what the concept behind them is.

(i havent decided how i want to vote for those subs or anything, whatever my ‘preference’ ends up being i think they are still very clear concept submissions).

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

since im posting again anyway, i guess i want to clarify about how my above post will be treated in terms of submission(s). [since i didnt realize it was going to be treated as a submission.]

my post above ig contains three different potential concepts for cap2 (i will go back and bold each of them where they are first discussed in my original post)

~ attacking lead
~ “limber” (twave immune mon not weak to ice, as amaranth suggested during cap1, or perhaps twave immune mon resistant to psychic ie ground/psychic, designed to absorb zam’s twave)
~ physical thunder wave user

i ‘grouped them all together’ j in my thought process but also bc there could be some overlap. id kind of prefer it just to be a whole submission as is, and then ppl can develop it in any of those directions, but im guessing that doesnt work in terms of the voting process.
i think i am only allowed one submission, so does that mean i need to choose between “the three”?
in that case, my first choice between the three would probably be physical thunder wave user. second choice would be limber and third would be attacking lead.

Last edited:

DuoM2

whao
Voting time! Here's your options -

- Let's Dance (May)
- Attacking Lead (juoean)
- Physical Paraspreader (juoean)
- "Limber" (juoean)
- Physical Sleeper (Gastlies)
- Status Stripper (Eve)
- Matchup Mixup (myself)
- I Can't Believe It's Not Outrage (Enigami)
- Underutilized Type (An umbrella that the council decided would be best as opposed to outright vetoing those subs, as it's still broad enough. This would include any type that, as the name implies, isn't currently seen in RBY OU.)

Vote for as many as you'd like, as long as you order them from favorite to least! You have 48 hours.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
Underutilized Type
I Can't Believe It's Not Outrage
Limber
Physical Sleeper
Attacking Lead

Lots of cool submissions here, very excited to see how it goes. Enigami's sounds especially interesting!

Underutilized Type
Let's Dance!
Status Stripper
Nice Typing
Attacking Lead

Last edited:
limber was submitted before, it is a bit predetermined as options are basically water/ground, ice/ground and psychic/ground, and the latter two may be hard to balance. even within water/ground u still have a lot of different ways to go with stat spreads and movepool tho.
although it is somewhat narrowed in advance, it is my first choice vote because i think its the most likely to come out well (which is very hard in rby ou bc the tier is so tightly structured), in addition to it being cool to have a way of blocking twave, besides just using ‘eg’ chansey to absorb twaves for the team. plus the typings are cool to me lol.

[i agree with amaranth that paraslam immunity of this concept already basically exists in porygon, but that could also be within the concept if ppl wanted to go that way.]

physical sleeper
physical paraspreader
these are in some ways similar ideas, aimed at preventing chansey from blocking status. ill rank physical sleeper first of the two, it seems more directly oriented toward its goal and less likely to have weird unanticipated effects.

underutilized type well my view kind of depends on which way this goes, im not really interested in utilizing garbage types like dragon or poison, it seems itd be very hard to make such a mon viable at all outside of like giving it a trapping move which i doubt is what ppl want, or just making the bad secondary typing a random liability / way of nerfing the primary typing of say normal or psychic which idk doesnt seem v interesting to me either.
but developing a type that does offer some useful traits could be a cool way to try to diversify rby ou type-wise. either bug or fighting ie the types that hit normal and psychic SE are at least initially what seems most interesting to me but i think any version of this other than “make a terrible typing viable” is smth i like.

matchup mixup tbh im not sure i know precisely what this means, like what is a certain typing ‘expected’ to be good or bad against. so im sort of going more off of either smth that was previously mentioned of like a physical instead of special psychic type, or just like the ‘feel’ of the submission lol, without needing to precisely define what would or wouldnt count as a ‘mu mixup’.
could be cool, im pretty neutral about this one esp since i dont have a crystal clear idea about what it means lol.

attacking lead this might be just as likely to make the lead meta even worse rather than diversify it. eg do people rly want a lead that can flinch jynx to deny sleep lol. the best option for this probably is the twave immune attacker route, which is maybe better covered by ‘limber’. (tho limber doesnt include the possibility of a fire/ground anti-jynx lead.)

nice typing you got there ig this is the most interesting to me of the ‘seems almost impossible to make this work’ submissions, u need the typing change to be so valuable that it is worth both a turn and a moveslot, and you probably either need the mon to have multiple typings it likes converting too (i dont rly like this direction, u prob cant fit evthg on the same moveset so itd be too much guessing/randomness), or for it to be sufficiently threatening without clicking conversion that opponent cant j freely go to whatever mon predicting the conversion. the four moveslots is rly a huge constraint here, esp if the mon needs recover (which i think was sort of assumed).
maybe one way to go would be something like a kingler/flareon/pinsir with a huge attack but no physical stab, which becomes very powerful if it can convert into a normal type, but even without transforming has enough power to threaten frail mons like alakazam that try to switch into conversion (starmie is bulkier ofc).

lets dance honestly i think swords dancers are in as balanced a place as they can get in a slow metagame, rn they are generally limited by the support they need and/or very limited setup opportunities but without that limitation the ability to j claim kos with boosted hbeams could easily become broken (or force more gengar or rocks). so i feel like this concept would be very hard to make work

status stripper only common statuses are prz frz sleep, only thing thatd rly make sense for this is a sleeper that can use haze to unblock its sleep move. and i think thered almost always be a better way to go than clicking haze, ‘such as’ doubling to a breaker that pressures the sleep blocker, esp given the risks of haze. and since we already have physical sleeper as a submission.

i cant believe its not outrage: id prob like this submission if there were more of those moves in rby, but theres just thrash and petal dance, and they arent good. and as i understand we cant create new moves for CAP. for thrash (90bp) youd need like a normal type that doesnt learn (almost any of the other normal moves), or obv itd never run thrash, also being locked into thrash means u cant hbeam which is what normals want to do.
petal dance (70bp) might be more plausible, as like a coverage move for smth otherwise walled by goldon. without stab itd need high special to ohko goldon with petal tho. or u could make grass its secondary typing but itd ofc only be clicking petal in specific situations, and have a better stab move in its primary typing (electric? or perhaps fire? idk). seems way too hard to make this work unfortunately (unless we are allowed to create a new move)

Last edited:

Paulluxx

[Regional Manager of Big Shifu]
is a Community Contributor
Limber
Physical Sleeper
Nice type you’ve got there

Last edited:
Underutilized Type
Limber
Matchup Mixup
Physical Sleeper
Physical Paraspreader
Attacking Lead
Nice Typing You Got There
Let’s Dance
Status Stripper
I Can’t Believe It’s Not Outrage

Last edited:

DuoM2

whao
Alright, and by a landslide, Underutilized Type wins!

CAP 2 - Typing
Lucky coincidence that typing comes immediately after concept. What do you think would be the best typing to explore for this? Make sure you bold the type combination if you're submitting it. I'll give until Saturday for you to submit!

Bug/Ground

This type combination was first discussed towards the beginning of the year when RBY CAP had just kicked off. I believe pac was the first one to bring it up and discuss its merits, though I’m not positive. Since he doesn’t seem to be around much currently, I figured I’d toss the submission out there. But anyway, Bug/Ground can do some pretty cool stuff. Its typing grants it a resistance to Ground and a neutrality to Rock, which would let it switch into and check mons like Rhydon and Golem, though it’d still have to fear a potential paraslam, or boom from the latter. It would also likely be able to check Jolteon, but possibly not Zapdos due to the Flying weakness. Bug STAB would let it threaten Psychic-types, but whether or not it could switch into any/all of them likely hinges on its stat spread. There’s a good chance that Lagosnow/CAP1 would be able to check it as well, though that could go either/both ways, again depending on this mon’s stats and movepool. Could be a potential candidate for Swords Dance and/or Agility, too.

ig this idea feels good enough to nominate ~

fighting/electric

this typing is meant to help with what is fighting type's biggest issue in ou, starmie. (zam is ofc much frailer while eggy lacks recovery.) however, it might play more like an electric most of the time, which is my biggest uncertainty about nominating this as i think the concept was supposed to be to highlight the underutilized typing as much as possible.

im imagining offensive stats around the level of electabuzz or maybe raichu, and i will use double kick as the fighting stab for potential damage calcs here but obviously the movepool will be decided later (and the various fighting type moves do provide that flexibility for altering the mon's physical power).
to highlight some differences in comparison to say jolteon, a stab double kick with buzz's attack stat would be a roll to 2hko chansey, and would also do 25-30% to rhydon which is at least somewhat relevant chip damage. (against tauros it wouldnt be any stronger than buzz's stab tbolt, fwiw). perhaps the biggest cost of the secondary typing is that it no longer counters zapdos due to not resisting drill peck, for example with buzz's bulk it would always be 3hkod. the 1v1 matchup against psychic starmie is also prob neutral at best, but starmie not being able to switch in is prob what is most important. realistically jolteon doesnt like taking on alakazam either so the weakness to zam's psychic maybe doesnt matter all that much.
i think u def wouldnt want it to have as much special as jolteon, for example with 85 special stab tbolt is a 4hko on snorlax about half the time and a 4hko on alakazam most of the time. keeping its special low should make sure it doesnt overtake either jolt or zap in the meta, but isnt outclassed by them either, what itd offer over jolt was just discussed, and unlike zapdos this cap would not be forever walled either by rhydon (which eg could get in trouble with a crit dkick on the switch), or by jolteon which would take 24-29% very similar to rhydon lol from 83 attack stab double kick, while jolt also ofc wouldnt threaten it back that well since unlike zapdos, an electric/fighting cap would resist electric.
thunderbolt, thunder wave, [fighting stab] would presumably be mandatory, and then you could go various ways with potential fourth move options.

[of course you could go in other directions in terms of stat spread, giving it too much physical attack might be problematic tho as that would limit zam/egg's ability to check it while also making it pressure normals even better. also i didnt address speed stat at all, outspeeding chansey is probably non-negotiable but otherwise should be very flexible in terms of speed tier options (and therefore crit rate).]

this stage is ofc just for deciding typing, but i try to provide as much detail as possible in terms of thinking what the mon might be like.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)