Gen 1 RBY NU: Kingler & Fearow

My process with teambuilding is to randomly generate 2 pokemon and attempt to build a team around the pokemon I received. The pokemon which I received for this team is Kingler and Fearow so I attempted to build based on their weaknesses and also some pokemon which will help me fair a little better in the tier. I always try to make the team as competitive as I can regardless of the pokemon I am given so any feedback is greatly appreciated.

:rb/mr mime: :rb/fearow: :rb/kingler: :rb/golem: :rb/weepinbell: :rb/clefable:

:rb/mr mime:
Ability: none
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Serious Nature
- Psychic
- Seismic Toss
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave

Mr. Mime is my lead of choice and in my opinion is needed in nearly every NU team. It has great speed and special attack stats and can help to cripple opposing pokemon with thunder wave. Psychic is a must have for Mr. Mime as it is STAB and hits a lot of the tier hard. Seismic Toss is used on the set mainly for decent damage against opposing Mr. Mimes. Thunderbolt is another standard move for the set and in my opinion is important as there are a fair few decent water type pokemon in the tier such as Blastoise and Dewgong. Thunder wave is a must have as it cripples opposing pokemon for your team to hopefully take out later in the game.

:rb/fearow:
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Serious Nature
- Double-Edge
- Drill Peck
- Hyper Beam
- Agility

Fearow is the 1st randomized pokemon I received and in my personal opinion is a pokemon which is slept on in the tier as I feel it can hit hard and is speedy which positively affects its crit rate. Double edge is fearows 1st STAB move and hits most the tier fairly hard. Drill peck is our flying type STAB move and can utilise fearows speed to achieve a better crit rate than the move already offers. It also helps us deal with grass/bug/fighting types a lot quicker. Hyper beam is standard and helps finish off any weakened pokemon and agility helps us maintain our speed stat through paralysis.

:rb/kingler:
Serious Nature
- Body Slam
- Crabhammer
- Hyper Beam
- Swords Dance

Kingler was our 2nd randomized pokemon and is a great offensive pokemon for the tier. Body slam is used mainly to fish for paralysis on opposing pokemon. Crabhammer is our STAB move and hits fairly hard as well as having a good chance to crit also. Hyper beam as stated before is used to finish off any weakened pokemon and due to kingler having a decent attack stat, the move hits a little harder than a lot of other pokemon and swords dance is used to further improve our power and achieve a better chance to KO our opponent.

:rb/golem:
Serious Nature
- Earthquake
- Body Slam
- Rock Slide
- Explosion

Golem is essential for the team as it resists fire attacks and is immune to electric attacks which is my main weakness with both kingler and fearow. Earthquake is standard as it is our most powerful STAB move and hits a lot of the tier hard. Body slam is used to fish for paralysis on opposing switch ins. Rock slide is our 2nd stab move and is used mainly for catching opposing flying types on switch in to attempt to evade my earthquake. Explosion is used for when golem is reaching mid to low HP and I can then explode and hopefully KO the opposing pokemon with my next switch in.

:rb/weepinbell:
Serious Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Wrap
- Stun Spore
- Razor Leaf

Weepinbell is very useful to this team as without it, I do struggle a lot of the time against opposing amnesia Poliwhirls. With Weepinbell, I can put pokemon to sleep with sleep powder or paralyze with stun spore, both of which will aid the rest of my team. Wrap is used to trap opposing pokemon so I can safely switch in a team member who can fair better against the opponents active pokemon. Razor leaf is our best STAB move and helps deal with any opposing water types such as poliwhirl not running blizzard or psychic, regardless of any amnesias due to our crit rate.

:rb/clefable:
Serious Nature
- Body Slam
- Blizzard
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave

Clefable is a filler for the team but I feel it is a good fit here as it is bulky and can help spread paralysis easily to help the team. Body slam is used to fish for any paralysis along with thunder wave. Blizzard is used to catch any opposing golem/sandslash on switch in to resist body slam/thunderbolt. Thunderbolt is useful to help deal with the tiers water types and help weaken them for our other members.

So this is my team so far, I appreciate any and all advice given as I look to make this team as competitive as possible like many others I have done.
Thanks in advance.

pac

pay 5000, gg?
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hey! So, figured I'd come back and help you out with this RBY NU team. It has a few issues, but thankfully Fearow + Kingler is a decent base to work with. Your goal with such a team is to use Fearow as a bait for Golem and such, switching in Kingler and then nailing them with Crabhammer or using Swords Dance on the free turn (Remember that Crabhammer is like a 99.6% chance to crit due to RBY mechanics).

So with Fearow and Kingler as shoo-ins since its the team goal that we've established, how do we go from there?

Mr. Mime.png

Mr. Mime should not be your lead. It loses to both Fire Spin and sleeper leads, leaving your best offensive presence and one of your primary Mr. Mime checks crippled extremely early on. I would recommend Charizard instead, as its able to utilise Fire Spin to pivot out of bad lead MUs like Poliwhirl or other Fire Spin leads, as well as utilising Earthquake to tear through Nidoking and Kabutops who are both problems for the Fearow + Kingler combo. However, Mr. Mime SHOULD be on the team in the back, as a Mr. Mime check (its TBolt threatens your whole team badly, Thunder Wave is atrocious for Zard Fearow and Kingler, etc.). It also helps out with Blastoise, another problem matchup.

Charizard.png
Mr. Mime.png
Fearow.png
Kingler.png

This is the team so far. It only has one answer for both Mr. Mime and Blastoise, #1 and #2-3 in the tier atm, so we need to use the rest of the team to help patch that up. It also struggles with fast Fires, with Charizard as our only semi-consistent answer. For these needs, we're going to retain Clefable from the old team, and add your own Blastoise. Clefable acts as another Mr. Mime check, reducing pressure on your own Mr. Mime, while threatening Blastoise with Thunderbolts and threatening the fast fires with Paralysis. Blastoise makes us solid versus Waters, with us having several good answers towards opposing Blastoise, Seadra, and Amnesia Poliwhirl (will explain later how we're going to tool the Blastoise set to suit your struggles with that Pokemon), as well as the fast fires mentioned previously. We now have several Pokemon that can take Fire Spin chip well too.

Charizard.png
Mr. Mime.png
Fearow.png
Kingler.png
Clefable.png
Blastoise.png

https://pokepast.es/4afa4a472ecb4b1c

Here's the team! I tried to keep it consistent towards your initial goal of using both Fearow and Kingler. This team is going to be a bait and punish kind of deal. Use Fearow to draw in Ground- and Rock-types like Golem, Nidoking, and Kabutops, then punish them with your choice of Kingler, Charizard, Mr. Mime, etc. Toxic is on Blastoise so that if they start using Amnesia with Poliwhirl as you hit them with Toxic, you can stall them out with Rest and they'll be quickly chipped to death, forcing them out. This means that Weepinbell is generally unneeded, and Clefable is therefore now your sleeper. The standard FSpin + Slash set is on Charizard so that you can combat opposing Moltres and Charizard better.

Potential Changes:
As it stands, the team has a pretty bad Electrode matchup, relying purely on Mr. Mime and Clefable to counter it. Exeggcute could be a viable alternative to Clefable, getting more accurate status while still checking Mr. Mime and now helping out versus Electrode. It also has boom to pivot around and support your sweepers. However, its worse versus Nidoking and Blastoise than Clefable so its a tradeoff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)